Rot your brains, then rot our boards

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

sugarhyped

Re: Things you remember watching but can't remember the name

Postby sugarhyped » Thu Dec 08, 2011 6:05 am UTC

@XiaAsylum

Was it in english?
I get this "Allison and the Magic Bubble"

I couldn't find the link directly to hulu but here, http://www.imdb.com/video/hulu/vi2044501529/

I watched a few minutes of the middle and theres a brown haired boy and blond girl. There are supposed to be aliens but all I see is a fighter pilot scene.
I wanted a signature. I don't know what to put here yet.

Postby AvatarIII » Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:45 pm UTC

i was thinking about stuff I watched in my childhood and I remembered a show I used to watch when I was small,
I believe it was anime, or anime style, although I didn't know it at the time, (so it was dubbed into English) but looking back it was quite clearly anime.
it revolved around a professor who had adventures, he had a computer that I think was an upright cylinder that was in his house, I also think it was green.
I specifically remember there was a female/feminine robot.
either the robot or the computer or both could/did print out things on small squares of paper.
I also think the professor has a sort of bouncing vehicle or pogo stick that he got around on.
would have been dubbed into English in the early to mid 90s at the very latest, but I don't remember the animation looking very dated, I doubt it was made before the mid 80s. but my memory isn't that clear so it might be older than that I guess.

ArgonV

Postby ArgonV » Tue Dec 13, 2011 6:02 pm UTC

Doctor Snuggles is the first thing that comes to mind, although the only things in common are a professor and a pogo stick...

Postby AvatarIII » Tue Dec 13, 2011 7:08 pm UTC

ArgonV wrote:Doctor Snuggles is the first thing that comes to mind, although the only things in common are a professor and a pogo stick...

Thats it, specifically the first ever episode which was called "The Fabulous Mechanical Mathilda Junkbottom". cheers.

dofdiamond

Postby dofdiamond » Fri Dec 16, 2011 6:42 am UTC

Teknobo wrote:
They dealt with weird topics, like cloning from a transporter machine and other things. It wasn't funny at all, however. I think it might have been called "O, Canada"?

EDIT: yeah, that was it, but I can't find any information on it. Anyone else remember it?

I saw it a couple of times when I was younger. I don't remember too much, but I do remember this one short, "The Cat Came Back". I had nightmares for weeks.

Thanks for sharing link here, its really works i like this.

diamand

Postby diamand » Sun Jan 01, 2012 4:52 am UTC

Hi, I'm also after a show a saw many years ago, about a group of soldiers or hunters going back in time to hunt dinosuars and I think someone in the show stepped on a butterfly or some sort of bug and when they returned everyone was speaking a different language. I think it was a Twilight episode or mayby The outer Limits. Can anyone help me to find out what that show was, it's been on my mind for may years.

MrGee

Postby MrGee » Sun Jan 01, 2012 6:34 pm UTC

Looking for a link to a video I saw years ago: It was a stage play starring a ninja who would do comically ridiculous stunts by having the stage crew, dressed in black, carry him or the props around in a very obvious way. Every time he was about to do something he shouted WOOOOOSS! (rhymes with goose). Anyone?

Ended

Postby Ended » Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:04 pm UTC

diamand wrote:Hi, I'm also after a show a saw many years ago, about a group of soldiers or hunters going back in time to hunt dinosuars and I think someone in the show stepped on a butterfly or some sort of bug and when they returned everyone was speaking a different language. I think it was a Twilight episode or mayby The outer Limits. Can anyone help me to find out what that show was, it's been on my mind for may years.

That's the plot of Ray Bradbury's short story A Sound of Thunder. I found a television episode from 1989 which looks promising: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0683183/
Generally I try to make myself do things I instinctively avoid, in case they are awesome.
-dubsola

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby Felstaff » Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:22 am UTC

Also parodied in a Simpson's Halloween special.
Away, you scullion! you rampallion! You fustilarian! I'll tickle your catastrophe.

suffer-cait
Yes, that's my perfectly normal house cat, why do you ask?

Postby suffer-cait » Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:58 am UTC

MrGee wrote:Looking for a link to a video I saw years ago: It was a stage play starring a ninja who would do comically ridiculous stunts by having the stage crew, dressed in black, carry him or the props around in a very obvious way. Every time he was about to do something he shouted WOOOOOSS! (rhymes with goose). Anyone?

i can't remember what it's called but you just described an entire style of japanese theatre.
ImageImageImageImageImage

MrGee

Postby MrGee » Sat Jan 07, 2012 6:30 pm UTC

suffer-cait wrote:
MrGee wrote:Looking for a link to a video I saw years ago: It was a stage play starring a ninja who would do comically ridiculous stunts by having the stage crew, dressed in black, carry him or the props around in a very obvious way. Every time he was about to do something he shouted WOOOOOSS! (rhymes with goose). Anyone?

i can't remember what it's called but you just described an entire style of japanese theatre.

I suppose that's possible, but I don't think it was kabuki. It was a parody...people were laughing

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Sat Jan 07, 2012 9:26 pm UTC

No, it's not kabuki, but there are nonetheless a good many Japanese theatrical productions along those lines.

I Googled <matrix pong> (this) and the first Wikipedia entry to come up was http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kasou_Taishou .

jillton

Postby jillton » Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:19 am UTC

Years ago when I was v.small and sick in bed on a day off I watched this film on T.V. I enjoyed it at the time, but I'd probably think it's the worst film ever made if I were to see it again, but I've thought of it a few times and always wondered what it was called...

It was a tear-jerker.
About a kid who's parents are getting divorced. The dad is clearly the better parent but the court awards the mother custody of the child.
The dad was a children's writer and had a kids series of books based around a dodo. Or, he was trying to get them published and got them published in the end...

I've googled a few times over the years but to no avail. Anyone have any ideas?
"you get sloppy drunk, I stay whiskey neat"

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:35 am UTC

Not Kramer vs Kramer?

jillton

Postby jillton » Mon Jan 16, 2012 7:09 pm UTC

Noooooo not at ALL!!!

It was more like... An early 90's made for TV version of Kramer vs Kramer... I'm pretty sure the kid was a little girl, and the dad definitely wrote a kids book about a dodo!!
"you get sloppy drunk, I stay whiskey neat"

RoadieRich
The Black Hand

Postby RoadieRich » Sat Jan 21, 2012 4:03 pm UTC

Now, my request is somewhat odd, as I'm not even sure if it's a real film - I know it's certainly not what my brain is trying telling me it is (which is Lord of The Rings).

If it is real, it's a musical movie in a similar style to LOTR. In the scene I remember, the Gndalf-alike has gathered a load of vllagers into a ruined fortress to explain something, but the ringwraith-alikes (maybe a dragon?) have tracked the ringbearer, who has baked the ring into a piece of coal, and can't find it becuse it's been given to the Legolas-alike by mistake. The "ringbearer" (who perhaps has a bit of a Harry Potter vibe going on) has fallen over, and manages to say "They're here" just as the attack arrives. As the villagers are being led out, one stops to complain to "Eowyn" that the local Lord has turned evil: something about how he used to give them shelter, there was always water and sometimes wine, and then the song. The lyrics I remember are "If it doesn't have meat then there's nothing on my plate". It's got a strong beat, and I seem to associate a Les Mis style step forward, stamp, step back, stamp faux-march with it.

If it is just my imagination, perhaps I should write it all down, it could be the next big thing.
73, de KE8BSL loc EN26.

drclaw

Postby drclaw » Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:32 pm UTC

AvatarIII wrote:some series in the 90's which seemed kind of inspired by Back to the Future, and The Last Starfighter

a young man (present day) is picked up by some mad scientist in a time machine that looks a bit like a winnebego, they also later pick up some warrior/feral girl, they are chased by an evil guy in a red time travelling suit, there's also something about a weapon made of light, which is destroyed and scattered across time and space and the MCs are searching for it, and there is a twist at the end:
Spoiler:
the mad scientist turns out to be evil and the guy in the red suit is a time-cop type guy

This has to be http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Josh_Kirby..._Time_Warrior!
ArgonV wrote:This is not for me, but for a friend

It's a movie - from the 90s - from the perspective of a news station like CNN. Aliens come to explore the Earth and leave markers at the north and south pole. Jet fighters destroy the markers left by the aliens, which pissed them of. The return with a full force and then the film ends.

Other things he remembers: In the end, the reporters show photos of their loved ones, there's only a few lead characters and it's called something general, like 'Breaking News' or something similar.

Sounds like "Without Warning"

drclaw

Postby drclaw » Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:59 pm UTC

That Hi, I'm looking for some movies and shows that have been in some back room of my mind :D for several years

First, the movies, (first and) last seen in the late 1980's:
  1. Not even sure if this is a single movie, or a mixture of several, but I remember a multiple supernova, dinosaurs and/or aliens on a present day farm and some domed city near the end.
  2. The second movie has an astronaut that was transported to the near future. Upon landing, the spaceship is damaged beyond repair, and the astronaut
    builds a personal assistant of sorts using pieces of the ship's computer on a transparent casing, that he carries hanging on his neck (a la Twiki/Dr.Theopolis).
    At the end, he manages to steal a second ship, and reproduce the accident, travelling back to his own time. The "personal assistant", however, does not survive the trip, because it was built in the future (I think this was a plot point, the second spaceship may have been the sister ship of the first)
  3. A malfunctioning spaceship, the protagonist has some argument with the ship AI, on the end is revealed that the computer is not an AI but the uploaded mind of a kid that wanted to travel to the stars. The protagonist merges with the computer via a device (does a "synaptic helmet" ring a bell?). The ship,computer and/or kid may have been called "Arcturus"

The shows, late 1990's to early 2000's:
  1. A Twilight Zone style show, presented by a CGI female robot
  2. A CGI short about a small bot (think WALL-E crossed with a street sweeper) on a museum, where one of the displays may have been labeled "The most dangerous object"

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:18 am UTC

drclaw wrote:A Twilight Zone style show, presented by a CGI female robot
It wouldn't have been a commercial or something for Cyberworld 3D, would it?

drclaw

Postby drclaw » Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:43 pm UTC

Jorpho wrote:
drclaw wrote:A Twilight Zone style show, presented by a CGI female robot

No, it couldn't have been a commercial, each episode was ~30 minutes, besides, the CGI part was only at the beginning and end of the episode, the rest was live action.

drclaw

Postby drclaw » Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:53 pm UTC

... And using the amazing power of looking for something completely unrelated, I've nailed down two of my own questions:

drclaw wrote:
  • A malfunctioning spaceship, the protagonist has some argument with the ship AI, ...

This one was "Lifepod (1981)". Even found a pic of the ship at preview.tinyurl.com / 8a6otkj

drclaw wrote:
  • A CGI short about a small bot (think WALL-E crossed with a street sweeper) on a museum, where one of the displays may have been labeled "The most dangerous object"

This is "Strange Things", from Cartoon Network's "What a Cartoon Show"

hyplar2000

Postby hyplar2000 » Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:34 am UTC

I have been trying to find a Terrytoons cartoon one shot about a musical opera. The play begins with a wolf in a butcher shop singing about a lack of meat, shoulder devil appears to get some milkmaids cow.
Fox gets cow, milkmaid calls on pig to get cow. battle ensues, etc. etc.
What is the name of this?
Here is one of the songs

My cow! My cow! My lovely cow!
Who will save my, who will save my lovely cow!
I'm on my way, to catch the thief!
Da da da before he turns to roast beef

Is this in a DVD collection? Or, could mysterious forces spirited it away?
I want to combine this with PDQ Bach!!!

interactiveagency

Postby interactiveagency » Wed Feb 08, 2012 5:28 pm UTC

What was the show on cartoon network about 10 years ago, little kid that's an evil genius. He's got a super annoying sister that drives him nuts but always manages to thwart his plans.

JBJ

Postby JBJ » Wed Feb 08, 2012 5:40 pm UTC

interactiveagency wrote:What was the show on cartoon network about 10 years ago, little kid that's an evil genius. He's got a super annoying sister that drives him nuts but always manages to thwart his plans.

Pretty sure you're talking about Dexter's Laboratory.
So, you sacked the cocky khaki Kicky Sack sock plucker?
The second cocky khaki Kicky Sack sock plucker I've sacked since the sixth sitting sheet slitter got sick.

hyplar2000

Postby hyplar2000 » Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:24 am UTC

by drclaw » Wed Jan 25, 2012 7:43 am UTC

Jorpho wrote:
drclaw wrote:
A Twilight Zone style show, presented by a CGI female robot

No, it couldn't have been a commercial, each episode was ~30 minutes, besides, the CGI part was only at the beginning and end of the episode, the rest was live action.

It Was Perversions of Science --- HBO 1997 10 episodes

New User

Postby New User » Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:23 am UTC

I saw this movie on television, but I think it was one of those "premium" movie channels like HBO, Showtime, or The Movie Channel. It was probably about 10 to 15 years ago.

A man was traveling around in a desert. He met a young boy who lived alone in a house, and the boy was practicing shooting a handgun at his mailbox. The boy said his family was gone or dead, so he joined the traveling man. They were being pursued, or else they were pursuing, a villain that was referred to by some ambiguous name like The Man in Black or The Tall Man or something somewhat generic like that. There was a scene (I forgot if it was before or after the man met the boy) when the villain attacked the protagonist at night, near trees I think. The protagonist had a gun that was like a shotgun but I think it had four barrels. He would use this gun to shoot little dwarfs, or goblins, or trolls or whatever. The villain wouldn't actually attack, I think the little dwarfs just attacked for him. I remember thinking that this combat scene was intentionally made a little too badass, like the badassery was overdone for comic effect like in Army of Darkness, but maybe that was just my interpretation since I had a tendency to find comedy in everything in those days.

Nearer the end of the movie, the traveling man and his companion(s) (I think he and the boy also met a woman along the way) came to the villain's lair, a castle or tower of some kind. They entered the lair and began fighting their way through, but I stopped watching there.

I never knew the name of this movie, so I may not be able to immediately confirm if someone can give me the correct title.

Also, years after I had seen this, I heard someone describe to me the Dark Tower series by Stephen King. I thought it seemed very similar to this movie, but I heard that there was never a film adaptation of those books. Maybe there is an unofficial movie adaptation? Or maybe they are only superficially similar, just a thought.

EDIT: I did a bit of searching around, and it's very likely that I found the answer to my own query. Phantasm III. I found it by searching The Adjectival Man on TVTropes, but I might as well have searched for 4-barrelled shotgun, and the synopsis here even mentions that he kills dwarfs. Now I doubt I'll ever get the chance to watch the series.

Dthen
Still hasn't told us what comes after D

Postby Dthen » Thu Apr 19, 2012 5:06 pm UTC

My sister remembers a film about a guy who explodes a mailbox when he is a child and it kills a woman and her child. he then finds out he can time travel and attempts to make things better, but everything he does makes things worse. Apologies for awful typing and formatting, typing on my phone. any ideas?
Dthen wrote:I AM NOT A CAT.

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.
Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Postby Angua » Thu Apr 19, 2012 5:10 pm UTC

One of the Butterfly Effect movies, most likely.
'Look, sir, I know Angua. She's not the useless type. She doesn't stand there and scream helplessly. She makes other people do that.'
GNU Terry Pratchett

emceng

Postby emceng » Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:09 pm UTC

I didn't know there was more than one, but that's definitely Butterfly Effect with Ashton Kutcher.
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - CS Lewis

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.
Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Postby Angua » Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:10 pm UTC

There was at least one sequel, maybe two.
'Look, sir, I know Angua. She's not the useless type. She doesn't stand there and scream helplessly. She makes other people do that.'
GNU Terry Pratchett

Dason

Postby Dason » Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:47 pm UTC

I knew there were at least two. I guess there actually are three... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Butter ... ct#Sequels
double epsilon = -.0000001;

krogoth

Postby krogoth » Fri Apr 20, 2012 5:08 am UTC

The two I can't remember what are from one was an anime, they started the episode off suggesting stuff happened in the past he didn't want to drag his sisters into or something, then he's talks all pedo to a little girl and stands on his head as part of a bet then tells her her he can see up her dress or something. Then if i recall correctly he gets taken hostage or was already hostage to his teacher...

The other one I don't think was an anime, but had similar stying, I think it's title or title character had some dragon reference attached. The episode i wanted to see had two girls in it one emo, one peppy. they both had some sort of psychic or telepathic ability, and the emo could see all the best things and moments in life, and the peppy happy one saw the opposite. They explained it as something like "when you see is death and sadness 24/7, any little thing can make you happy" and vise versa, I just want to see the full clip or ep again so I can get the exact quote.
R3sistance - I don't care at all for the ignorance spreading done by many and to the best of my abilities I try to correct this as much as I can, but I know and understand that even I can not be completely honest, truthful and factual all of the time.

ConMan
Shepherd's Pie?

Postby ConMan » Sun Apr 22, 2012 11:14 pm UTC

krogoth wrote:The two I can't remember what are from one was an anime, they started the episode off suggesting stuff happened in the past he didn't want to drag his sisters into or something, then he's talks all pedo to a little girl and stands on his head as part of a bet then tells her her he can see up her dress or something. Then if i recall correctly he gets taken hostage or was already hostage to his teacher...

That would be episode one or two of Nisemonogatari, the sequel series to Bakemonogatari. Note that if you haven't watched the original, the sequel is likely to seem (a) confusing, and (b) disturbing with its scenes like that, or the ones with Shinobu ... (For reference, the little girl - Mayoi Hachikuji - isn't all she seems. But then, neither are most of the characters.)
pollywog wrote:
Wikihow wrote:* Smile a lot! Give a gay girl a knowing "Hey, I'm a lesbian too!" smile.
I want to learn this smile, perfect it, and then go around smiling at lesbians and freaking them out.

Dthen
Still hasn't told us what comes after D

Postby Dthen » Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:30 am UTC

Angua wrote:One of the Butterfly Effect movies, most likely.

Yeah, that was it. Thanks.
Dthen wrote:I AM NOT A CAT.

ArgonV

Postby ArgonV » Sat May 12, 2012 4:20 pm UTC

Ok, this has been stuck in my head for some time. I was a cartoon I watched 16 years ago I think. It was about a machine that combined bugs and inanimate objects into anthropomorphic creatures. There were two of these machines, one for the good guys and one for an evil professor/magician person. The good guys were a team of 3 or 4 of these lifeforms, one of which could control electricity and was called Volta (or something similar), I believe.

Bit vague, but does anyone know what I'm talking about.

broken_escalator
They're called stairs

Postby broken_escalator » Wed May 16, 2012 6:55 pm UTC

I'm not sure if it's going to be a regional problem but here are some haphazard guesses: Inhumanoids, Mighty Orbots

The only bug-mecha show I can think of is Big Bad Beetleborgs, but that wasn't animated.

ArgonV

Postby ArgonV » Fri May 18, 2012 6:13 pm UTC

Nope, neither of those. It wasn't really mecha either, they weren't robots and roughly adult-sized

wam

Postby wam » Wed May 23, 2012 11:42 am UTC

Heres one thats been bugging me for a while.

A cartoon I watched in australia around 2000. It involved 4(i think) different planets fighting against some evil force. The planets had engines and could move through space.

Any ideas?
Come join us playing mafia signup here

ArgonV

Postby ArgonV » Wed May 23, 2012 5:35 pm UTC

wam

Postby wam » Thu May 24, 2012 11:03 am UTC

Yep thats it. Thanks for that.
Come join us playing mafia signup here

Return to “Movies and TV Shows”