Things you remember watching but can't remember the name of

Rot your brains, then rot our boards

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

SirBryghtside

Re: Things you remember watching but can't remember the name

Postby SirBryghtside » Fri Sep 13, 2013 2:24 pm UTC

Thanks, that's it! Been searching for that for years :)
Spambot5546 wrote:Well...who used it? I'd sleep next to Felicia Day's used bacon.

Fowels

Postby Fowels » Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:19 am UTC

Here's one that I have searched for and failed to find for years now. Hope someone might have a clue!

I believe it was of British origin, but it aired in Australia, possibly on the ABC (though they have been unhelpful so maybe not), in the early 2000s or thereabouts.

It was set in the near future, where the polar ice caps had been melted (I think they mentioned by nuclear weapons), and the British Isles were now composed of many small islands. This was explained in some kind of classroom video by a teacher I think, as the main characters were kids or teenagers at the most.

Some of these kids had psychic powers of some kind. I don't remember much, except one girl who had the power to turn stuff inside out. She could turn paint cans inside out, and during the climax of one episode, turned the fuel tank of an outboard motor inside out, as they were being pursued by some guys in a dinghy. There was some plot about refugees involved, or being pursued by these guys? There was a scene where some child's doll is a plot point, because she loses it, and then one of the other kids sees it mounted on the radiator of a truck. I think the owner of the truck was a kidnapper or a slaver or something like that?

An episode I remember more vividly is them discovering a house on an island, and meeting this strange lady with an eyepatch that confronts them with a megaphone that alters her voice. When she invites them in she mentions the place belongs to some other guy we don't see. I remember she was looking at a painting of him and said a line that included the words 'All booted up and ready to go', which was like a code phrase of some kind. I remember one of the kids trying to play with the megaphone, but it doesn't work. Eventually they discover her recharging herself with a cable plugged into a socket under her eyepatch. I think the line the girl kid says is, "She's synthetic!' I definitely remember they used the word 'synthetic' rather than just point out the obvious, that she's a robot.

When they try and escape the island, the robot lady pursues them and grabs a kid, saying, "You're grounded!" She gets pushed into the water, and the younger boy quips, "You're drownded!" Corny I know, but it stuck in my memory. At the end one of the girls is making some kind of psychic prediction that there'll be no wind for their sailboat, but then the wind picks up and the boy is pleased that her predictions aren't always right.

I really hope this actually was a full TV show instead of some kind of obscure TV movie. I'm fairly sure it was a TV show though. My best Googling efforts have turned up nil though.

Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Postby Jesse » Sun Nov 10, 2013 1:20 pm UTC

right so its this film from before 2000, its pretty much like stay alive, except its 3 adult, 2 male and 1 female, they play this pc game and they have to kill this character, which turns out to be in real life, they then have to bury the guy and have to go there seperate ways. i was only about 8-9 when i seen it so my memory of it is brillant, i think it may have been a british film, it wasn a bright and colourful film as far as i can remember, it was quite dark in its lighting etc..

Smor Gaga

Postby Smor Gaga » Wed Dec 11, 2013 4:14 pm UTC

come on guys... I cant believe nobody knows this...
I only remember this in pictures, dont know the plot. So, at the opening we see a factory which makes toys(like stuffed animals) and the toys are moving on tracks and they are add arms legs eyes noses etc... and they all go somewhere, but there are some which has a mistake(not made well) like one has big nose, one only one leg etc... And those toys go to junkyard. And then we see a flying glowing ship approaching and an old man from the ship sprinkles some kind of fairy dust and toys come to life. So its a group of toys(i remember a girl, a bear with very long nose and a rag doll). From that point i dont remember what going on but i remember the main villain was an old woman(like witch from snow white) who wants to steal those toys to sell them or something bc she is homeless and needs money. She works for one lady who owns the other toy company which is making presents for christmas so she wants those toys bc they would make best presents(most expensive ones) bc she just wants to make money for christmas. Im not sure but i think that old man from the ship owns the orphanage and wants to take toys there but toys gone somewhere and lost. And I dont remember anything else except pushing the old woman somewhere in the end and the end scene is a cat chasing wind-up mouse. Yeah and the old man from ship has a hat which makes him invisible.
I know its weird but there must be someone who knows what Im talking about
PS: Its an animated movie

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Wed Dec 11, 2013 5:01 pm UTC

Smor Gaga wrote:come on guys... I cant believe nobody knows this...
I only remember this in pictures, dont know the plot. So, at the opening we see a factory which makes toys(like stuffed animals) and the toys are moving on tracks and they are add arms legs eyes noses etc... and they all go somewhere, but there are some which has a mistake(not made well) like one has big nose, one only one leg etc... And those toys go to junkyard. And then we see a flying glowing ship approaching and an old man from the ship sprinkles some kind of fairy dust and toys come to life. So its a group of toys(i remember a girl, a bear with very long nose and a rag doll). From that point i dont remember what going on but i remember the main villain was an old woman(like witch from snow white) who wants to steal those toys to sell them or something bc she is homeless and needs money. She works for one lady who owns the other toy company which is making presents for christmas so she wants those toys bc they would make best presents(most expensive ones) bc she just wants to make money for christmas. Im not sure but i think that old man from the ship owns the orphanage and wants to take toys there but toys gone somewhere and lost. And I dont remember anything else except pushing the old woman somewhere in the end and the end scene is a cat chasing wind-up mouse. Yeah and the old man from ship has a hat which makes him invisible.
I know its weird but there must be someone who knows what Im talking about
PS: Its an animated movie

More like a TV series...

#It's not much of a life when you're just a pretty face.#
#Just to be whoever you are is no disgrace. Don't be scared if you don't fit in: look who's in the reject bin!It's the raggy dolls#
#raggy dolls#
#dolls like you and me! Raggy dolls#
#raggy dolls#
#made imperfectly!#

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HI9rXx88YsA

Smor Gaga

Postby Smor Gaga » Tue Dec 17, 2013 7:42 pm UTC

No, its not raggy dolls its a movie...

New User

Postby New User » Sat Feb 22, 2014 1:16 am UTC

It's been a week since I posted this in the music video identification thread. Since that thread seems to have little activity, I'm trying it here in case there are people who monitor this thread and not that one.

Many years ago I saw a music video on MTV in the mid-1990s.
I don't remember much about the song that played. I think it was some kind of electronic music (kind of like Orbital or The Crystal Method) but I could be wrong, and I remember the same syllables being repeated, but it didn't sound like English.
In the video, a young girl would wander aimlessly and observe the world around her. She carried with her a cube shaped block, except that the cube was hollow with a square-shaped hole right through the middle. Like a cube with two opposite sides removed. When the girl looked through the cube, she would see something similar but different.
I don't recall any of the things she looked at, but the viewpoint perspective would shift from third-person to the girl's first-person perspective, and then show the cube being lifted to her field of vision and what appeared through the cube's aperture was different from what she saw with her normal eyes. I think she would first see something mundane, then when she looked through the cube she would see something fantastic or surreal.
At the end of the video, the music stops but the words are repeated. Again, it didn't sound like English, and it showed that an old woman was singing those words to a sleeping girl.
I think the song was called Lullaby or something but I could be wrong about that. Lullaby being the only word I have to go on, it is very difficult for me to search for this on the web.
I only saw this video once and it was probably 17 years ago or something like that, so I might have misremembered some things. I appreciate any help!

AngrySquirrel
Hellish Sex Goddess

Postby AngrySquirrel » Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:37 am UTC

I'm looking for a danish kid's movie, made sometime in the 90ies, where a kid and his family move into a house with an old boiler that's really scary. And it turns out some robbers have hidden money behind it. Also at some point two kids boil a dead cat, and it smells horribly.
Putting the fist into pacifist.

they/them/theirs

free-bee

Postby free-bee » Wed Jun 04, 2014 5:57 pm UTC

This movie was produced after 2000. If I had to guess, it was around 2010. In the movie, this guys girlfriend/wife (can't remember) goes missing. He gets a call from her saying she had been kidnapped (or it was her kidnapper that called. Either way, he talks to both of them). The kidnapper wants some insane amount of ransom that the guy could pay off. He was told not to contact police, but he did anyways. At the end of the movie, it is revealed that the kidnapping was fake. The girlfriend/wife had fallen in love with someone else and the "kidnapper" was helping them come together by staging a kidnapping. The money was for them to get away and live new lives.

I remember that throughout the movie, they kept making it a point that the girl was in a box buried under the sand at a beach. And if the guy didn't pay the ransom, the box would remain buried and become filled with water, drowning the girl.
my sister wrote:[the sun] can go to Hell and brighten that place up a while.

Rogue5_jm

Postby Rogue5_jm » Fri Jul 18, 2014 11:59 am UTC

I saw this movie before 2000 on TV, I can't remember if it was a made for TV or not.

The opening scene shows a white man standing in a restaurant aiming his gun down and repeatedly pulling the trigger, apparently at the end of a shooting spree. The police appear and it looks like he's the bad guy being apprehended. The movie flashes back some time and it turns out that he actually was shooting the real perpetrator (a black man), who went on a shooting spree in that restaurant because one of the customers he had been stalking had either rebuffed his romantic advances or started a relationship without knowing of his feelings. iirc the white guy wasn't exactly a saint either, his original intention was to rob the place or something. A few scenes that stuck out were that the shooter had a darkroom and regularly was taking and developing pictures of the woman. When he feels spurned he destroys them in anger. During the shooting someone confronting the guy is directly in front of the shotgun wielding shooter and gets his shoulder blown out.

I am honestly surprised an (non family) adult stood by and allowed me to watch this in my early teens.

Triple Log

Postby Triple Log » Sun Jul 20, 2014 3:17 am UTC

So there's a movie where a meteor hits earth and it turns out to have life on it. The life evolves rapidly (from a blue goo, I think?) into full blown dinosaurs.

There's a white guy and a black guy. They're with USGS or something.

Mighty Jalapeno
Inne Juste 7 Dayes I Wille Make You A Hero!

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Sun Jul 20, 2014 4:09 am UTC

Triple Log wrote:So there's a movie where a meteor hits earth and it turns out to have life on it. The life evolves rapidly (from a blue goo, I think?) into full blown dinosaurs.

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.
Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Postby Angua » Sun Jul 20, 2014 9:09 am UTC

Mighty Jalapeno wrote:
Triple Log wrote:So there's a movie where a meteor hits earth and it turns out to have life on it. The life evolves rapidly (from a blue goo, I think?) into full blown dinosaurs.

Are you sure they're not thinking of that 90 minute Head and Shoulders ad?

;)
'Look, sir, I know Angua. She's not the useless type. She doesn't stand there and scream helplessly. She makes other people do that.'
GNU Terry Pratchett

Triple Log

Postby Triple Log » Tue Jul 29, 2014 5:52 pm UTC

Mighty Jalapeno wrote:

image redacted

Yes, that was exactly it. Thanks.

Snark

Postby Snark » Sat Aug 02, 2014 2:14 pm UTC

What's the clip where the older guy yells out two other people outside a house by repeating "NO NO NO NO NO" like 50 times?
Dashboard Confessional wrote:I want to give you whatever you need. What is it you need? Is it within me?

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Thu Aug 14, 2014 4:43 am UTC

So, someone was telling me about this Japanese movie from the 1960s about a teacher who builds a nuclear bomb in his basement. There's something about how he's protected from the radiation by a tent. In the end, he dies, and so does his friend Catherine. Does this ring a bell?

mikee

Postby mikee » Mon Nov 03, 2014 1:55 pm UTC

suffer-cait wrote:that is it!!! thank you very much!!!

ok i have another one:
it's a children's movie i think i watched it when i was 4, so 1994ish. it was about two kids (one boy one girl, i think) who would go down a slide in their back yard and they would go through a portal to another world at the bottom. this world was extreamly colorful (of course) and full of people in colorful animal suits (not that we wee supposed to know that there were humans inside, anyway) the "little bunny foo-foo" song was in it and there was a merry-go-round....i think it may have sent the kids home... and i'm pretty sure that one of the main animals was a bear....

Hey have you found the name to this movie yet??? I really want to know!

mathmannix

Postby mathmannix » Mon Nov 10, 2014 8:52 pm UTC

I am trying to remember a period drama, on U.S. network television. It was some time during the 1990s I think, but it probably only lasted part of a season or I would remember it better! (I guess it could have been a miniseries, but I think I remember it being advertised like a regular show. Maybe it was a mid-season replacement...) Anyway, it was set in medieval England (or possibly France), like the 13th or 14th century or thereabouts. It followed a family that wasn't royalty (I don't think, anyway), but definitely wealthy nobility. They lived in a castle. The one thing I remember specifically is that they had these candle clocks sitting in alcoves in the walls of the castle, and I had never heard of such a thing before, so it really stuck in my mind. Anybody have a clue?

EDIT: Never mind, I think it was Covington Cross.
I hear velociraptor tastes like chicken.

free-bee

Postby free-bee » Sat Jan 10, 2015 10:07 pm UTC

Not a movie/show, but a music video. ACDC. They cross dressed. I couldn't find it no matter how hard I looked.

mathmannix

Postby mathmannix » Mon Jan 12, 2015 5:55 pm UTC

free-bee wrote:Not a movie/show, but a music video. ACDC. They cross dressed. I couldn't find it no matter how hard I looked.

There's a different thread for that...
Now that being said, may I guess that it was actually Queen in their video for "I Want to Break Free"?
I hear velociraptor tastes like chicken.

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Mon Jan 19, 2015 5:13 am UTC

This is slightly off topic, but I'm looking for episodes of De Fabeltjeskrant either in English or with English subtitles. Apparently it was broadcast in the UK as The Daily Fable, but videos seem to be quite untraceable; it was also broadcast in other European countries under different names. Any ideas?

bachaddict
Handel Played it Better

Postby bachaddict » Thu Feb 12, 2015 8:48 am UTC

This is a long shot, but I thought it's worth a try. My mother keeps trying to track down a Christian film she once saw, but I have never been able to find a trace of it on Google.

It's called Mama Thompson (or Thomson), and is about an African-american single mother bringing up nine children. It focuses on how she gets her youngest son into a white school and helps him deal with bullying; how she fights eviction; and how her oldest son gets involved in drugs. In all of this her faith is what keeps her going. At the end is an interview with the woman whose life the film is based on.

Any ideas where I could look?
slinches wrote:Also, the OTC isn't a disease. In fact, it's the cure. As we all know, Time heals all wounds.

Thanks for the molpish wig ggh!
he/him/his

exoren22

Postby exoren22 » Fri Jul 10, 2015 6:52 pm UTC

Puppyclaws wrote:So I have nearly forgotten whatever this is, and this will probably be impossible. I have been looking for years and have now forgotten most of the details.

There is something animated. The animation style is somewhat fantastical. It had a narrator, I believe, possibly one who was involved in the story in a fourth-wall-breaking type way; I believe one character was named Bob, who was kind of a sidekick to the primary character, wore all black, and did not actually speak (but made noise). At some point, the characters are all falling; possibly a church is falling from the sky with them.

This may have been aired on Cartoon Network in the 90's and been heavily promoted.

I think I will never find it with this description. Maybe it's not even real.

I think this is Clerks: The Animated Series.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clerks:_The_Animated_Series

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.
Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Postby Angua » Sat Jul 18, 2015 6:33 pm UTC

bachaddict wrote:This is a long shot, but I thought it's worth a try. My mother keeps trying to track down a Christian film she once saw, but I have never been able to find a trace of it on Google.

It's called Mama Thompson (or Thomson), and is about an African-american single mother bringing up nine children. It focuses on how she gets her youngest son into a white school and helps him deal with bullying; how she fights eviction; and how her oldest son gets involved in drugs. In all of this her faith is what keeps her going. At the end is an interview with the woman whose life the film is based on.

Any ideas where I could look?

Hallmark channel movie maybe, those are often pretty christian? Try googling for other Christian networks as well. It was probably a made for tv movie, so add likely network names into your Google search.
'Look, sir, I know Angua. She's not the useless type. She doesn't stand there and scream helplessly. She makes other people do that.'
GNU Terry Pratchett

zend

Postby zend » Tue Sep 15, 2015 5:54 am UTC

It's a long shot but naybe it's Mama Flora's Family

A TV Show: I was going to ask but i found what it was... The Girl from Tomorrow

A movie:
A possible action movie from about 1990s about an android wifi AI that maybe escapes from somewhere, and maybe it befriends with some kid.
I only remember that in the end the kid is in a hospital being operated, but the power is cut because the hospital's transformer was destroyed by the android fight against the bad guys, so the android sacrifices itself acting like a link to restore the hospital's power.
Mayve the bad guys were the people that created it.
I couldn't find it on the 1980s and 1990s movies list.

Another TV Show:
It was from the late 1990s i think, maybe it was in Warner Channel, it was about an alien that came to earth and there was this kid... It didn't seem to last long. It was a comedy for kids i think. I tought it was called Meebo but i couldn't find it...

Bikrammajithia

Postby Bikrammajithia » Thu Oct 08, 2015 7:56 am UTC

I remember a video my parents had a looooong time ago that I watched as a very young kid. It was an animated series of fairy tales and fables, but they weren't really fully animated. They just kind of faded and cut to and from different stills, like a partially animated comic book. I think it had the story of little red riding hood, and there was some story about a rabbit I think, which might have been the tortoise and the hare but I'm not sure.

Soooooo...yeah, lol. Good luck.

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Sun Oct 11, 2015 12:05 am UTC

Bikrammajithia wrote:I remember a video my parents had a looooong time ago that I watched as a very young kid. It was an animated series of fairy tales and fables, but they weren't really fully animated. They just kind of faded and cut to and from different stills, like a partially animated comic book. I think it had the story of little red riding hood, and there was some story about a rabbit I think, which might have been the tortoise and the hare but I'm not sure.

Soooooo...yeah, lol. Good luck.

Sounds like Jackanory to me.

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Thu Dec 03, 2015 2:39 pm UTC

Way back in the early 80's I dimly recall watching this one game show. The most distinctive feature was that there were these two rows of stations facing the audience, one stacked on top of the other, and as the participant progressed down the row his actions might result in an elevator bringing him to the lower row of stations, or back up again. Does this ring a bell with anyone?

Deva
Has suggestions for the murderers out there.

Postby Deva » Thu Dec 03, 2015 4:31 pm UTC

Changes its form depending on the observer.

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Fri Dec 04, 2015 4:58 am UTC

Well, there's just no stopping you, is there?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pitfall_%28game_show%29

Zohar
COMMANDER PORN

Re: Things I remember watching but can't remember the name o

Postby Zohar » Tue Mar 22, 2016 12:56 pm UTC

Well it might be helpful if you actually described the one scene you do remember. But I'm going to guess anyway - was it Groundhog Day?
Mighty Jalapeno: "See, Zohar agrees, and he's nice to people."
SecondTalon: "Still better looking than Jesus."

Not how I say my name

Grop

Re: Things I remember watching but can't remember the name o

Postby Grop » Tue Mar 22, 2016 6:18 pm UTC

I doubt it could be 12 Angry Men, because most people wouldn't identify six scenes.

free-bee

Re: Things you remember watching but can't remember the name of

Postby free-bee » Sat May 07, 2016 12:08 am UTC

It was a YouTube video. It was called "deal gone wrong" or something like that. In the video two guys (probably med-teens) dressed in black were arguing over a deal that they were having, making it out like one was selling a ton of cocaine for $100 grand to the other. Turns out it was a Pokemon card trade. But anyway, somewhere in the video, a random person yells, "don't do drugs, give hugs!" One of the main characters yelled back, "go suck a dick!"

I just can't seem to be able to find it.

free-bee

Postby free-bee » Sun May 08, 2016 1:01 am UTC

I was close. I found it. It wasn't Pokemon cards, it was a cheeseburger. The video title is, "Drug deal gone bad!"

zombie_monkey

Postby zombie_monkey » Sun Jun 05, 2016 2:06 am UTC

Does anyone have the episode of Spaceship Sagittarius where they crash-land on the ersatz-Korea planet? I really want to watch that again.

( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uch%C5%ABsen_Sagittarius )

Deva
Has suggestions for the murderers out there.

Postby Deva » Sun Jun 05, 2016 2:45 am UTC

Suggests one of these.
Translated Japanese Wiki wrote:Wall Hen of border
Episode 62 - Episode 64. No. Sagittarius that crash-landed in the failure to phrase star. But there is, sister and a younger brother as a queen each and the king, was Aree countries of the border to contest is divided into west and east. Line you've been through in the No. Sagittarius the "wall of hatred" that has been shredded the east and west at the time of the emergency landing would be taken prisoner severally in two of the country. To the country he had served as a royal tutor while the split there, Gozetto made man appears.
Changes its form depending on the observer.

zombie_monkey

Postby zombie_monkey » Sun Jun 05, 2016 11:59 pm UTC

It's here, btw: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jUf-Ay ... .be&t=1281 (the episode I was thinking of)

I haven't seen this show in at least 20 years! Thank you so much! I'll wait a bit to watch it though, the only thing I remember is when they drew a line through the spaceship that represented the border, I might be disappointed.

emceng

Postby emceng » Wed Jul 13, 2016 4:29 pm UTC

Only remember a vague scene.

I think it was a movie about music or a band. The guys are talking about bass guitar, maybe about why they don't need one or what's the point. A black guy explains that bass provides the beat and feeling of the music, that makes women want the band members. He may have rubbed himself up against either an instrument, or band member.
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - CS Lewis

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Wed Dec 28, 2016 9:47 pm UTC

Finding the names of animated shorts is a rather hopeless endeavor, isn't it?

So there's this film I'm thinking of that, for the longest time, I was pretty sure was Tales of the Night. It is not Tales of the Night, nor does it appear to be another one of Michel Ocelot's short films or anything else from his filmography.

But I do remember that it had similar high-contrast, starkly two-dimensional images. I'm pretty sure it was some kind of simplistic fairy tale, it was largely free of dialog, and that the protagonists was a small group of bugs, or possibly rodents or other critters. Any ideas?

haaayes

Postby haaayes » Mon Jan 16, 2017 4:15 pm UTC

This is a really long shot but my grandma won't stop going on about some horror movie she's never been able to find again about a little doll (she said it was like a voodoo doll, i always imagined like a blair witchy kind of 'doll') that kept trying to kill the people that bought it. At one point she says they put it in the oven and you think its over but then you hear the music and it attacks them again (inb4 'every horror movie ever')

Best lead I have is that it was part of a 3-part anthology of unrelated horror stories. Would have been shown on TV in the UK sometime in the 70s or 80s.

Return to “Movies and TV Shows”