Things you remember watching but can't remember the name of

Rot your brains, then rot our boards

Moderators: SecondTalon, Prelates, Moderators General

Re: Things you remember watching but can't remember the name

Postby thanksbastards » Thu Jul 08, 2010 3:05 am UTC

ok, so it was a horror movie, but hilarious, and on purpose. caught hte last half of it, want to see the rest of it. slightly campy but not really from what I remember. I think everyone was in highschool, one kid the main character was alive, there were two dead dudes following him around talking to him, but only he could see them? hThere was an evil hand, I think it may have been his and he cut it off, I assume cause it was evil. I think the last half of the movie was at a school dance, folks kept getting killed greusomely, there was a bong made out of a muffler at the end, and I think they beat the hand by getting it stoned. best ending ever. anyone seen this? I must watch it again and see if it really was as good as i recall, saw it a million years ago in like highschool (I'm a real bonafid adult now!)
thanksbastards

Postby JBJ » Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:23 am UTC

thanksbastards wrote:ok, so it was a horror movie, but hilarious, and on purpose. caught hte last half of it, want to see the rest of it. slightly campy but not really from what I remember. I think everyone was in highschool, one kid the main character was alive, there were two dead dudes following him around talking to him, but only he could see them? hThere was an evil hand, I think it may have been his and he cut it off, I assume cause it was evil. I think the last half of the movie was at a school dance, folks kept getting killed greusomely, there was a bong made out of a muffler at the end, and I think they beat the hand by getting it stoned. best ending ever. anyone seen this? I must watch it again and see if it really was as good as i recall, saw it a million years ago in like highschool (I'm a real bonafid adult now!)

Sounds like Idle Hands (IMDB)
So, you sacked the cocky khaki Kicky Sack sock plucker?
The second cocky khaki Kicky Sack sock plucker I've sacked since the sixth sitting sheet slitter got sick.
JBJ

Postby thanksbastards » Thu Jul 08, 2010 2:56 pm UTC

right on, thanks!
thanksbastards

Postby el_loco_avs » Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:39 pm UTC

Fun point:
Famous band gets killed!
You go your way.
I'll go your way too.
el_loco_avs

Postby thanksbastards » Fri Jul 09, 2010 5:44 am UTC

so is it as good as I remember?
thanksbastards

Postby Felstaff » Tue Jul 13, 2010 12:27 pm UTC

So I asked about this 2 years ago, and the olden-days weapon thread has reminded me of it:

Film, 1960-70s, Swords & Sandals epic filmed in Technicolor®. One scene had two warring factions, fighting in the desert. One faction rushes the other across the desert plain. As they approach, the defending phalanx quickly turn their Shields of Faith, reflecting the sun into the charging army's eyes. The enemy stumbles blindly into a ravine (hidden to us and them up until this point).

It was pretty boss.
Habent sua fata libelli et balli
Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby jaap » Tue Jul 13, 2010 1:15 pm UTC

Felstaff wrote:So I asked about this 2 years ago, and the olden-days weapon thread has reminded me of it:

Film, 1960-70s, Swords & Sandals epic filmed in Technicolor®. One scene had two warring factions, fighting in the desert. One faction rushes the other across the desert plain. As they approach, the defending phalanx quickly turn their Shields of Faith, reflecting the sun into the charging army's eyes. The enemy stumbles blindly into a ravine (hidden to us and them up until this point).

It was pretty boss.

With my google-fu I found this which claims it is the film Solomon and Sheba. Some of the imdb reviews mention the blinding shields scene, so I guess that is correct.
jaap

Postby Felstaff » Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:46 am UTC

Thanks! I came across that Yahoo! answers page, too, after extensive Googling (does anybody ever actually go to the second page of results, or do they simply refine their search?). It didn't crack open a giant memory egg in my brain, though. I guess it couldn't be anything else, so I'mma hafta find mah own copy and get watching.

Which is good because I do like a ripping Yul Brynner yarn. (His name is an excellent Hangman topic)
Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby MarionSmith » Sat Jul 17, 2010 3:25 pm UTC

I don't remember the name of any movie or television program I see. In fact I saw a the worst movie ever a few months ago with super heroes that weren't really super heroes and there was a blue guy who ran around naked through the whole movie. I can't remember the name....I don't know why I stayed to watch the rest. :?
MarionSmith

Postby el_loco_avs » Sat Jul 17, 2010 7:34 pm UTC

MarionSmith wrote:I don't remember the name of any movie or television program I see. In fact I saw a the worst movie ever a few months ago with super heroes that weren't really super heroes and there was a blue guy who ran around naked through the whole movie. I can't remember the name....I don't know why I stayed to watch the rest. :?

Watchmen?

worst ever? and why would you want to know if you hated it?

At least go and read the damn book.
You go your way.
I'll go your way too.
el_loco_avs

Postby sje46 » Sat Jul 17, 2010 9:45 pm UTC

Watchmen is my favorite superhero movie. That was a lot of effing fun, and I don't understand any of the negative reviews I've read about it (not that it was critically panned...it got a 64% on Rotten Tomatoes, which is a good score). I can't wait till I read the book, and I think I'm going to ask for it for Christmas.
General_Norris: Taking pride in your nation is taking pride in the division of humanity.
Pirate.Bondage: Let's get married. Right now.
sje46

Postby Giant Speck » Mon Jul 19, 2010 4:02 am UTC

el_loco_avs wrote:worst ever? and why would you want to know if you hated it?

So that when he rants about it on other forums, people will at least know what he's talking about.
"Did I say recently that I love Giant Speck? Because I love Giant Speck. He is the best." - Weeks
Giant Speck
Bouncy Sex Marshmallow

Postby el_loco_avs » Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:35 pm UTC

sje46 wrote:Watchmen is my favorite superhero movie. That was a lot of effing fun, and I don't understand any of the negative reviews I've read about it (not that it was critically panned...it got a 64% on Rotten Tomatoes, which is a good score). I can't wait till I read the book, and I think I'm going to ask for it for Christmas.

Oh me yarm. Reading the book will be epic. The changes made for the movie kinda made sense in that context but the book is just O_O
You go your way.
I'll go your way too.
el_loco_avs

Postby Smiling Hobo » Tue Jul 20, 2010 12:10 am UTC

sje46 wrote:Watchmen is my favorite superhero movie. That was a lot of effing fun, and I don't understand any of the negative reviews I've read about it (not that it was critically panned...it got a 64% on Rotten Tomatoes, which is a good score). I can't wait till I read the book, and I think I'm going to ask for it for Christmas.
I think a lot of the negative reception is due to the fact that the book is a modern classic, and expectations were very high. Thus, when a semi-generic, slightly above-average superhero movie is released with the name Watchmen, people feel betrayed or let down. The movie is alright, but it is not comparable to the thought-provoking, jaw-dropping experience of reading the graphic novel. I probably would have liked it a lot if I wasn't comparing it to the book.
Eat a kitten, save a cow!
Smiling Hobo

Postby Woopate » Sat Jul 31, 2010 12:36 pm UTC

I remember a TV series from my youth which was kind of similar to Power-Rangers, but the heroes were armored, not just spandex'd, and the episodic baddies were drawn by a comic book artist who was held captive by the antagonists. I used to love that show, and collected the action figures, but for the life of me, I can't remember what it was called.
Woopate
Scrapple

Postby blu » Sat Jul 31, 2010 5:00 pm UTC

Woopate wrote:I remember a TV series from my youth which was kind of similar to Power-Rangers, but the heroes were armored, not just spandex'd, and the episodic baddies were drawn by a comic book artist who was held captive by the antagonists. I used to love that show, and collected the action figures, but for the life of me, I can't remember what it was called.
After playing with google a little I found something called "Big Bad Beetleborgs", which seems to be close to what you were describing.
blu

Postby Woopate » Sun Aug 01, 2010 5:43 am UTC

Nope, that's not it I'm afraid. Very similar costumes for the heroes though.
Woopate
Scrapple

Postby Jesse » Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:31 pm UTC

Are you sure it's nto just Season 2 of that, Beetleborgs Metallix. Because in that series they had a guy actually drawing weapons and villains and stuff (Les something)
Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Postby Kurushimi » Thu Aug 05, 2010 5:54 pm UTC

I'm trying to find the source of a Family Guy reference. It was one of the episodes with that actor who stole Peter's identity (can't remember his name). After they caught him in the box and Brian asked what had happened to him, Peter said he'd been taken care of by "Top Men." And then you see a scene of a guy pushing a box down a storage room. It looked kinda like this

What movie is this from?
Kurushimi

Postby JBJ » Thu Aug 05, 2010 5:57 pm UTC

Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark
Oh, and it was James Woods who stole Peters identity.
The second cocky khaki Kicky Sack sock plucker I've sacked since the sixth sitting sheet slitter got sick.
JBJ

Postby Kurushimi » Thu Aug 05, 2010 6:15 pm UTC

Ah, thank you. That went much better than Googling "What movie were they referencing in family guy when Peter said James Wood was being taken care of by 'top men'"
Kurushimi

Postby Giant Speck » Thu Aug 05, 2010 6:24 pm UTC

Kurushimi wrote:Ah, thank you. That went much better than Googling "What movie were they referencing in family guy when Peter said James Wood was being taken care of by 'top men'"

Ironically, that exact search criteria gives the answer in the second result, which is a Wikipedia article for the episode in which that scene is aired.
"Did I say recently that I love Giant Speck? Because I love Giant Speck. He is the best." - Weeks
Giant Speck
Bouncy Sex Marshmallow

Postby Kurushimi » Thu Aug 05, 2010 6:32 pm UTC

I actually didn't google that. I didn't remember James Woods's name.
Kurushimi

Postby Woopate » Sun Aug 08, 2010 6:14 am UTC

Jesse wrote:Are you sure it's nto just Season 2 of that, Beetleborgs Metallix. Because in that series they had a guy actually drawing weapons and villains and stuff (Les something)

There was no wierd fat guy with a silly name, as far as I can remember.
Woopate
Scrapple

Postby Obby » Thu Aug 12, 2010 5:30 pm UTC

Alright, I'm looking for the name of a movie. I never saw the movie, but I remember the trailer (vaguely). I've never seen it on TV, only over the internet, if that helps.

Anyway. It wasn't a big Hollywood movie. The most prominent thing I can remember about it is the main character (at least, the one that got the most screen time in the trailer) had ridiculously long nose, very similar to a toucan's beak, and always wore welding goggles (very similar to these). This character was possibly not human, but closely resembled a slightly deformed human (like Quasimodo from the Hunchback of Notre Dame). This character belonged to a group of "people" like himself that was from another dimension/reality/planet/place. They come to our dimension/reality/planet/place at night to steal our children for some purpose I can't remember, but the character I described earlier develops some kind of moral conflict at some point, and that conflict revolved around a young girl he was supposed to abduct (I think).

I don't remember much else from that. I remember a lot of electricity in the air at one point, and I think maybe some portals, but beyond that...
The story so far:
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.
Obby

Postby JBJ » Thu Aug 12, 2010 5:34 pm UTC

JBJ

Postby Obby » Thu Aug 12, 2010 5:47 pm UTC

JBJ wrote:Sounds like The_City_of_Lost_Children

No, I don't think that's it. It may be similar, but the movie I'm thinking of had a much darker image to it (literally darker, the colors in the movie seemed to be more washed out and there was a lot of blacks, dark blues and light blues, as opposed to oranges, yellows and reds in The City of Lost Children). Unfortunately, I can't watch videos at work so I'll have to look at the trailer when I get home today.
The story so far:
This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.
Obby

Postby Felstaff » Thu Aug 12, 2010 7:30 pm UTC

Obby wrote:Alright, I'm looking for the name of a movie. I never saw the movie, but I remember the trailer (vaguely). I've never seen it on TV, only over the internet, if that helps.

Anyway. It wasn't a big Hollywood movie. The most prominent thing I can remember about it is the main character (at least, the one that got the most screen time in the trailer) had ridiculously long nose, very similar to a toucan's beak, and always wore welding goggles (very similar to these). This character was possibly not human, but closely resembled a slightly deformed human (like Quasimodo from the Hunchback of Notre Dame). This character belonged to a group of "people" like himself that was from another dimension/reality/planet/place. They come to our dimension/reality/planet/place at night to steal our children for some purpose I can't remember, but the character I described earlier develops some kind of moral conflict at some point, and that conflict revolved around a young girl he was supposed to abduct (I think).

I don't remember much else from that. I remember a lot of electricity in the air at one point, and I think maybe some portals, but beyond that...

Sounds like the BFG? I'm sure he wears goggles when dreamcatching.
Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby SecondTalon » Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:09 pm UTC

Obby wrote: The most prominent thing I can remember about it is the main character (at least, the one that got the most screen time in the trailer) had ridiculously long nose, very similar to a toucan's beak, and always wore welding goggles (very similar to these).
So.. like a Plague Doctor?

I only mention that for confirmation, as it may help narrow it down.
"When Archie is too progressive for you, that's how science identifies you as an earlier species" - Luke McKinney, Cracked.com

Honestly, if you're talking BBQ and 'a guy in a parking lot' isn't part of the conversation, something's wrong."
SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby Obby » Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:27 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:
Obby wrote: The most prominent thing I can remember about it is the main character (at least, the one that got the most screen time in the trailer) had ridiculously long nose, very similar to a toucan's beak, and always wore welding goggles (very similar to these).
So.. like a Plague Doctor?

I only mention that for confirmation, as it may help narrow it down.

YES! That looks very much like what I'm imagining!

Also, no, it wasn't the BFG.

EDIT: I've found it on my own actually. I happened to stumble upon it on the 10th page of Youtube links, so it was pretty buried. The movie is called "Ink", and I was a little off in my description (but not terribly).

For those interested:
Trailer 1.
Trailer 2.
The story so far:
Obby

Postby dubsola » Fri Aug 13, 2010 11:04 am UTC

Calling all Australians!

There is or was a fantastic programme on SBS which involved a lovely guy walking around public spaces with a cameraman, engaging people in conversation. Quite simple. He would ask people about themselves, and had a fantastic knack of getting people to open up and go into a lot of detail about who they are, what they do, where they come from, and so on. They would often reveal all sorts of details about themselves and he did this by just asking simple questions and letting them talk.

Details:
-I'm not sure if it's still on, I remember watching it in the late 90s.
-The interviewer was a middle-aged white guy, possibly with a beard.
-I'm not sure if he ever asked them specific questions about popular issues, he may have, but I remember mostly it was just people talking about themselves.
-It might have been on ABC, not SBS, but I'm pretty sure it was SBS.
-Pretty sure it was on for 10 minutes or so around 7-7:30pm.
dubsola

Postby blu » Fri Aug 13, 2010 11:46 am UTC

Sounds like "Front Up".
blu

Postby dubsola » Fri Aug 13, 2010 11:53 am UTC

YES! That's it, thankyou very much.

Now, to find a way to watch this show.
dubsola

Postby maja » Sat Aug 14, 2010 8:36 pm UTC

I've been looking for this for a while now - very difficult to google as well:

So I think this is one film - but I remember two scenes, so it might be two different films! - possibly an omnibus type affair, set in NY in what feels like in the 80s.

Scene No 1: A young couple is moving in together for the first time. They are all lovey-dovey etc., unpacking boxes and the like. At one point the girl is unpacking the books and putting them on the shelves, but the guy spots her writing in her/his names in the books before she puts them up. He confronts her and she says something about possibly breaking up in the future and making it easier to separate their books. Of course the guy freaks out and leaves (maybe wandering the streets of NY..)

Scene No 2: Is weirder - also in an apartment a young couple - but then you realise they are actually brother and sister. A bathtub is involved, its one of those tiny flats where the tub is in the hallway next to the cooker or something. I think the brother wants the girl to have a bath with him "like they normally do", but she is trying to tell him she wants to move on and not do what they are doing any more.

Does this ring a bell to anyone?
maja

Postby blu » Sat Aug 14, 2010 10:03 pm UTC

maja wrote:Scene No 2: Is weirder - also in an apartment a young couple - but then you realise they are actually brother and sister. A bathtub is involved, its one of those tiny flats where the tub is in the hallway next to the cooker or something. I think the brother wants the girl to have a bath with him "like they normally do", but she is trying to tell him she wants to move on and not do what they are doing any more.
Sounds familiar.
Does the movie have french people/is a french movie? I'm sure I've seen something like that a while back.
blu

Postby maja » Sat Aug 14, 2010 10:24 pm UTC

blu wrote:
maja wrote:Scene No 2: Is weirder - also in an apartment a young couple - but then you realise they are actually brother and sister. A bathtub is involved, its one of those tiny flats where the tub is in the hallway next to the cooker or something. I think the brother wants the girl to have a bath with him "like they normally do", but she is trying to tell him she wants to move on and not do what they are doing any more.
Sounds familiar.
Does the movie have french people/is a french movie? I'm sure I've seen something like that a while back.

it's possible. i mean now that you mention it it feels right, but these memories are very labile.. i don't think so though, although it is possible that i've mixed it up a bit too much in my head by pairing it up with the first scene, which i'm pretty sure was a new yorkish one. i think the girl in the second scene, the sister, has blond curly long hair if that's any help?
maja

Postby blu » Sat Aug 14, 2010 10:33 pm UTC

maja wrote:it's possible. i mean now that you mention it it feels right, but these memories are very labile.. i don't think so though, although it is possible that i've mixed it up a bit too much in my head by pairing it up with the first scene, which i'm pretty sure was a new yorkish one. i think the girl in the second scene, the sister, has blond curly long hair if that's any help?

Well, just in case; I remembered it's a movie set in France around the '68 student riots. It's called The Dreamers.
Had a sister, a brother and an american exchange student. Plus a bathtub.
Not a bad movie (as far as I can recall).

Edit: No curly blond hair though.
blu

Postby maja » Sat Aug 14, 2010 11:08 pm UTC

ah, no no, definitely wasn't the dreamers! i'm pretty sure it was an omnibus type film, the brother-sister thing is just a scene, not the whole film about them. thanks for trying though!
maja

Postby Canineteeth » Sun Aug 15, 2010 4:32 am UTC

I don't have cable atm so I'm stuck on the air channels, and every ow and then I go into the other room to see whats playing. On one of these excursions I saw part of a movie on ION life that was a sci-fi movie.

There was a girl wearing clothes that seemed to be made of only 4inch wide strips running away from the police through sewers, jumping off and landing into a taxi (cheesy scifi where the streets are bottomless and the cars fly through the air), running away from the police that way. I left, and when I came back the taxi driver had the girl in his arms in what looked like a monastery, with an old dude looking at her tattoo (or marks, dont remember) and saying she was a chosen one / messenger / something.

A bit later they mention stones and it cuts to some weird alien dudes talking with the villain and making a deal, exchanging a case of stones for some uber weapons. The case turns out to be emptied, but they keep a crate of the uber weapons.

I remember a tad bit more, but think that should be enough.
Canineteeth

Postby jaap » Sun Aug 15, 2010 4:55 am UTC

Canineteeth wrote:There was a girl wearing clothes that seemed to be made of only 4inch wide strips running away from the police through sewers, jumping off and landing into a taxi (cheesy scifi where the streets are bottomless and the cars fly through the air), running away from the police that way. I left, and when I came back the taxi driver had the girl in his arms in what looked like a monastery, with an old dude looking at her tattoo (or marks, dont remember) and saying she was a chosen one / messenger / something..

That's "The Fifth Element", with Bruce Willis.
jaap

PreviousNext

Return to Movies and TV Shows