Canineteeth

Re: Things you remember watching but can't remember the name

Postby Canineteeth » Sun Aug 15, 2010 11:46 pm UTC

Looked it up, yes it is. Thanks.

liveeeee_

Postby liveeeee_ » Sun Aug 22, 2010 9:43 pm UTC

This movie has been haunting me for a long time:

It's about a prisoner somewhere in the future. In order to escape, the prisoner and his friends had to run through a blueish corridor that would freeze them if they opened their eyes, or something like that. I would say that it was made in the 80s. That's all I remember.

Meanwhile, I'll read the thread to see if I can help somebody.

imMAW

Postby imMAW » Sat Aug 28, 2010 5:02 am UTC

Recent (2-6 years ago) sci-fi show on a major network (possibly FOX, though a scan of their programs doesn't turn anything up). It was set in modern times, there were strange atmospheric conditions for a time, and a boy found an egg that hatched into a new creature (lizard like, had some sort of voltage across its body).

liveeeee_

Postby liveeeee_ » Sat Aug 28, 2010 3:05 pm UTC

imMAW wrote:Recent (2-6 years ago) sci-fi show on a major network (possibly FOX, though a scan of their programs doesn't turn anything up). It was set in modern times, there were strange atmospheric conditions for a time, and a boy found an egg that hatched into a new creature (lizard like, had some sort of voltage across its body).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surface_%28TV_series%29

?

imMAW

Postby imMAW » Sat Aug 28, 2010 6:26 pm UTC

Ah, yes, that's it. Thanks.

furyguitar

Postby furyguitar » Sat Sep 04, 2010 1:32 am UTC

segmentation fault wrote:that thing where michael jackson turned into a panther or a jaguar or something.

That was actually Michael Jackson's music video Black or White.

Converge wrote:I remember a movie where a guy was helping some kid I believe. Later on the kid turned out to be one of the aliens(Or something not human)? They had backwards legs sort of like a dogs hind legs. That's honestly all I remember and possibly too vague.

That was The Arrival with Charlie Sheen. I actually saw that in the theaters - aliens were trying to take terraform earth by making the greenhouse effect go into overdrive.

Salamander

Postby Salamander » Sat Sep 04, 2010 9:14 pm UTC

Captain Control wrote:I only really remember the last part of the movie. The protagonist gets backed into by an RV and while he is on the ground, pulls out a sharpie and writes some rhyme or poem or something that has been seeing everywhere on the bumper of the RV. The RV then drives off.
Then there was one scene where he was at a urinal and he saw that same poem.
Iunno, it's been bugging me for ever.

That's from the Ice Harvest (2005). The guy is John Cusack, and the poem is "Wichita Falls, so falls Wichita Falls." or something to that effect

ConMan
Shepherd's Pie?

Postby ConMan » Fri Oct 01, 2010 1:34 am UTC

Fuzzy_Wuzzy.bmp wrote:Mr. Potatohead, if what you're talking about is not some Raggedy Ann cartoon, and it seems unlikely it is, then I'm afraid I can't help you. But I might recall something about a cartoon that may or may not have existed that seems similar. The scene is basically two toys in a garbage dump being all sad that they were abandoned, or something like that. They may or may not have been a teddy bear and a doll. Ring any bells?

An old post, but I suspect that this is The Forgotten Toys.

Now, for my two. Both live action children's TV, shown in Australia in the 90s (probably early 90s).

#1:
Two seasons, shown on Channel 10 (IIRC), had a title something like "The Magnificent M####s" or "The Marvellous M#####s", i.e. some adjective starting with M and then the name of the family of central characters. Aliens come, and in the first season they're looking for the new "Grand Baby" as their old one is dying, and the new one has to be someone who was at a particular place and time (which I think was a family BBQ), and there's some ritual involving a bunch of items that were at the same event that includes a punch bowl that has to be placed on their head. Finally it's revealed that the new Grand Baby is the family dog, who when he undertakes the ritual gains the ability to speak. In the second season, there's a new set of items that I think involves attaching a remote control to a door, turning it into a kind of portal-like transportation thing. I think at one point the remote's batteries run out and they have to travel to an "antimatter" universe (i.e. just like the normal one but with personalities switched) and grab some kind of antimatter power source that they keep in a paper bag (which is another one of those items).

I thought that Mark Mitchell played the bad guy in it, but it doesn't appear on his IMDB page. (And given how many times he's played the bad guy in a kids' TV show, it's easy to see where I could get mixed up.)

#2:
I'm pretty sure it was only 1 or 2 parts, and showed on ABC, so might have been part of some kind of omnibus/anthology show. A couple of kids (brother & sister?) are fighting, and get transported to a mysterious island inhabited by two tribes - the white-robed "follow the rules" group and the black-robed "do what you like" group. The tribes each have a glowing Macguffin and plan to steal/destroy the other tribes'. I think the kids either visit both tribes or decide to join different ones, but then for whatever reason the tribes both decide to attack, and the kids realise that both tribes are in the wrong, and the answer is to join the two Macguffins together, which makes the tribes merge as well into a single grey-robed group.
pollywog wrote:
Wikihow wrote:* Smile a lot! Give a gay girl a knowing "Hey, I'm a lesbian too!" smile.
I want to learn this smile, perfect it, and then go around smiling at lesbians and freaking them out.

Vapour

Postby Vapour » Fri Oct 29, 2010 8:48 am UTC

Hey.

Having trouble putting this into a description, so bear with me.

Its a physiological thriller (I think)

The main "badguy" I think, is a silver bunny (rather evil looking costume?). I think it goes round murdering people. (They are students I think)

I think a good scene is when you see it sat in a cinema with a bunch of other people, and they don't seem to notice it or something.

It's really bugging me now, and hopefully one of you can recognise it from my rather poor description.

JBJ

Postby JBJ » Fri Oct 29, 2010 12:03 pm UTC

Vapour wrote:Hey.

Having trouble putting this into a description, so bear with me.

Its a physiological thriller (I think)

The main "badguy" I think, is a silver bunny (rather evil looking costume?). I think it goes round murdering people. (They are students I think)

I think a good scene is when you see it sat in a cinema with a bunch of other people, and they don't seem to notice it or something.

It's really bugging me now, and hopefully one of you can recognise it from my rather poor description.

Donnie Darko
So, you sacked the cocky khaki Kicky Sack sock plucker?
The second cocky khaki Kicky Sack sock plucker I've sacked since the sixth sitting sheet slitter got sick.

Vapour

Postby Vapour » Fri Oct 29, 2010 12:22 pm UTC

<3

SurgicalSteel

Postby SurgicalSteel » Tue Nov 09, 2010 2:20 am UTC

Ok, this is a movie my dad told me about and he can't remember the name, and isn't really sure when it was made, just the plot:
Wealthy guy hires this experienced hunter to take him on a hunt in the woods, as a sort of guide and what-not. When they're in the woods the wealthy guy sees something moving and, thinking it's a deer, shoots it. It turns out to be a hermit or homeless guy or something, not a deer. The rest of the movie is the conflict between the two as the hunter tries to get off the mountain to inform the authorities and the wealthy guy wants to silence the hunter.

Thanks.
"There's spray paint on the teleprompter
Anchorman screams that he's seen a monster (mayday)
There's blood stains on his shirt (mayday)
They say that he's gone berserk."
--Flobots "Mayday"

sje46

Postby sje46 » Wed Nov 10, 2010 6:14 am UTC

Donnie Darko: I would recommend watching it two or three more times. It was very heavily thought out and planned, and there will be new things in it that you didn't catch the first time. Be sure you read an interpretation online at some point.
General_Norris: Taking pride in your nation is taking pride in the division of humanity.
Pirate.Bondage: Let's get married. Right now.

indy500fanmd

Postby indy500fanmd » Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:34 pm UTC

SurgicalSteel wrote:Ok, this is a movie my dad told me about and he can't remember the name, and isn't really sure when it was made, just the plot:
Wealthy guy hires this experienced hunter to take him on a hunt in the woods, as a sort of guide and what-not. When they're in the woods the wealthy guy sees something moving and, thinking it's a deer, shoots it. It turns out to be a hermit or homeless guy or something, not a deer. The rest of the movie is the conflict between the two as the hunter tries to get off the mountain to inform the authorities and the wealthy guy wants to silence the hunter.

Thanks.

How about SAVAGES starring Andy Griffith from 1974

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0072116/

Indy500fanmd

distractedSofty

Postby distractedSofty » Fri Nov 12, 2010 3:58 am UTC

Ok, so I have this show that's been bugging me for years, but it was on when I was 5, so my memory might not be the best.

This show was animated, and must have aired on weekends on Australian TV (Probably on Agro. So, probably not an Australian show). I distinctly remember my friends at school and me acting it out in the playground in 1992. (I'm sure it was '92, since I only went to the school in question for year 1)

As I said, this was when I was 5, so if you think of a show that fits most of these elements but not all, please tell me anyway.

The "people" (I think there were 4) who were the main characters in this show were either metal or had some kind of suit. Most of the characters were silver, and one was gold (possibly the other way around). For as long as I have been thinking about the show, I've imagined that at least one of the characters had cowboy elements (a big hat, or something). I also feel like at least one of them carried a musical instrument like a guitar, and that this was also a weapon. It was probably set in space.

The one thing about this show that I am absolutely sure of is that there was a ship or humungous mecha, and one of them had a special role in this. (Sure because part of the said playground game was arguing about who got to be that guy).

This has got to be the vaguest one of these ever, but writing it down has actually made me remember more elements. I'll have to return to google myself.

SurgicalSteel

Postby SurgicalSteel » Fri Nov 12, 2010 4:12 am UTC

indy500fanmd wrote:
SurgicalSteel wrote:Ok, this is a movie my dad told me about and he can't remember the name, and isn't really sure when it was made, just the plot:

Thanks.

How about SAVAGES starring Andy Griffith from 1974

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0072116/

Indy500fanmd
Bingo. I guess I or my dad got desert and woods confused but that sounds like exactly it. Thanks man.
"There's spray paint on the teleprompter
Anchorman screams that he's seen a monster (mayday)
There's blood stains on his shirt (mayday)
They say that he's gone berserk."
--Flobots "Mayday"

mojo12

Postby mojo12 » Fri Nov 12, 2010 9:10 pm UTC

SilverHawks
the description was spot on

distractedSofty wrote:Ok, so I have this show that's been bugging me for years, but it was on when I was 5, so my memory might not be the best.

This show was animated, and must have aired on weekends on Australian TV (Probably on Agro. So, probably not an Australian show). I distinctly remember my friends at school and me acting it out in the playground in 1992. (I'm sure it was '92, since I only went to the school in question for year 1)

As I said, this was when I was 5, so if you think of a show that fits most of these elements but not all, please tell me anyway.

The "people" (I think there were 4) who were the main characters in this show were either metal or had some kind of suit. Most of the characters were silver, and one was gold (possibly the other way around). For as long as I have been thinking about the show, I've imagined that at least one of the characters had cowboy elements (a big hat, or something). I also feel like at least one of them carried a musical instrument like a guitar, and that this was also a weapon. It was probably set in space.

The one thing about this show that I am absolutely sure of is that there was a ship or humungous mecha, and one of them had a special role in this. (Sure because part of the said playground game was arguing about who got to be that guy).

This has got to be the vaguest one of these ever, but writing it down has actually made me remember more elements. I'll have to return to google myself.

distractedSofty

Postby distractedSofty » Fri Nov 12, 2010 10:18 pm UTC

mojo12 wrote:SilverHawks
the description was spot on

That's awesome. Thanks.

Unfortunately, not on netflix, so I can't go watch any to relive my childhood.

akrisja

Postby akrisja » Sun Nov 14, 2010 3:31 am UTC

Hi I hope someone can help me on this:-

It was an animated cartoon in the late 80's / early 90s about the escape of these 2 children from their underground world to a field (where there's the sky/ clouds / sun) where they finally dance and cheer. These 2 children are a boy (represented by a blue figure) and girl (red figure). The underground world was a place where the adults (tall / grey / lifeless) were mining or some sort and that's all I can remember! Hope someone can help me!

JBJ

Postby JBJ » Sun Nov 14, 2010 1:56 pm UTC

akrisja wrote:It was an animated cartoon in the late 80's / early 90s about the escape of these 2 children from their underground world to a field (where there's the sky/ clouds / sun) where they finally dance and cheer. These 2 children are a boy (represented by a blue figure) and girl (red figure). The underground world was a place where the adults (tall / grey / lifeless) were mining or some sort and that's all I can remember! Hope someone can help me!

The Princess and the Goblin, perhaps? It's the closest I could find based on the description. There are several video clips on YouTube if that helps.
The second cocky khaki Kicky Sack sock plucker I've sacked since the sixth sitting sheet slitter got sick.

akrisja

Postby akrisja » Sat Nov 20, 2010 9:13 am UTC

JBJ wrote:
akrisja wrote:It was an animated cartoon in the late 80's / early 90s about the escape of these 2 children from their underground world to a field (where there's the sky/ clouds / sun) where they finally dance and cheer. These 2 children are a boy (represented by a blue figure) and girl (red figure). The underground world was a place where the adults (tall / grey / lifeless) were mining or some sort and that's all I can remember! Hope someone can help me!

The Princess and the Goblin, perhaps? It's the closest I could find based on the description. There are several video clips on YouTube if that helps.

Thanks for helping, but unfortunately that's not the movie I was looking for :)

existentialpanda

Postby existentialpanda » Mon Nov 22, 2010 7:23 am UTC

There's one that's been bugging me for quite some time, that I watched in maybe third or fourth grade (so, 2001-2002 ish) - but I have absolutely no idea when it might have been made. (Animated, btw.) It took place in some sort of fantasy kingdom, whose name I think had something to do with sleeping or dreaming. The main character was this boy who was next in line for the throne, and there was a princess of some sort as well but I don't think they were related. I only remember a couple of scenes, one where the boy is entering the throne room and he's doing some kind of stiff-legged march that struck me as kind of weird, and one where he's lost somewhere and the princess persuades character X to tell her where he is by threatening to fire character X out of a cannon. And in the end the boy gets his friends into trouble and almost gets himself killed trying to save them, and then the king comes out of nowhere and fixes everything.

I missed the beginning of it, the one time that I saw it, so I didn't really understand what was going on, which is probably part of why I don't remember much. Every time I remember it, though, it bugs me.

jano

Postby jano » Sun Dec 05, 2010 12:27 pm UTC

There's one film - TV episode film I watched a looong time ago (1965 - 1980). What I rememeber is:
I rememeber it in B&W - either it was really B&W or I saw in the sixties- seventies, before I had a colour TV set.
Plot: a family discovers one morning that they can't leave their house: outside the main door, and the windows there is a metallic wall they can't break. Little by little the temperature in the house starts rising, and a brown substance enters the house through the windows or under the doors. The family almosts dies. (Don't remember whether there was no telephone or it didn't work). In the end it turns out it is a doll house, property of a girl, and her brother has put it inside the oven, with a chocolate bar, and the girl rescues just in time (and complains to the mother).
From what I recall it seemed like a Twilight Zone or Outside Limits episode, but I've been unable to find it.

The other I would love to find out the name (and get it if I can) is a ¿french? short film (5 - 10 minutes), not very old.What I rememeber is the plot: it's a TV contest that is held in the hallway of the two (participant) neighbours A and B: the conductor makes a question to one of the neighbours: they have 2 minutes to get the correct answer. If they solve it, they have 2 minutes to literally destroy the neighbours house, if they fail, the neighbours have 2 minutes to destroy their house. In the episode the question was something like: "How does your neighbour A refer to you when you are not present?" - B, with the help pf his wife try all kinds of answers: like pig, stupid (and many swearing) but they don't make it, so they lose and the neighbours (A and his wife) destroy B's house (TV set, glassware, etc). They showed it in TV in Spain, together with several other french short films (maybe an anthology, or the participants in a festival ... )

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Spoiler:

distractedSofty

Postby distractedSofty » Sun Dec 05, 2010 10:31 pm UTC

jano wrote:There's one film - TV episode film I watched a looong time ago (1965 - 1980). What I rememeber is:
I rememeber it in B&W - either it was really B&W or I saw in the sixties- seventies, before I had a colour TV set.
Plot: a family discovers one morning that they can't leave their house: outside the main door, and the windows there is a metallic wall they can't break. Little by little the temperature in the house starts rising, and a brown substance enters the house through the windows or under the doors. The family almosts dies. (Don't remember whether there was no telephone or it didn't work). In the end it turns out it is a doll house, property of a girl, and her brother has put it inside the oven, with a chocolate bar, and the girl rescues just in time (and complains to the mother).
From what I recall it seemed like a Twilight Zone or Outside Limits episode, but I've been unable to find it.

Sounds like the episode "Child's Play" from Hammer House of Mystery and Suspense.

jano

Postby jano » Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:10 am UTC

distractedSofty wrote:
jano wrote:There's one film - TV episode film I watched a looong time ago (1965 - 1980). What I rememeber is:

Sounds like the episode "Child's Play" from Hammer House of Mystery and Suspense.

It certainly is - just had a look at it in YouTube.
Thank you so much !!! :D :D
Spoiler:

emceng

Postby emceng » Thu Dec 16, 2010 6:50 pm UTC

Ok, I am not sure where this one came from. It might have been a movie, TV show, video game... Anyway, location: futuristic, sci-fi, scene is on a trashy planet - sort of like Wall-E. I think it had a fair bit of CGI in it. A major character is talking to a local. The local's kids are rummaging around in a pile of garbage, digging for metal bits and treasures. Comments were made about 1st world planets dumping their trash there, and the local didn't care that his kids were getting poisoned crawling around in the waste. I think some of the kids found really shiny metal bits and brought them to show to the local(their father I think).

I am fairly sure I saw this within the past year, but it could have been from the past few.
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - CS Lewis

JBJ

Postby JBJ » Thu Dec 16, 2010 7:19 pm UTC

Was it live action? The first thing that comes to mind is Soldier.

emceng

Postby emceng » Thu Dec 16, 2010 7:32 pm UTC

JBJ wrote:Was it live action? The first thing that comes to mind is Soldier.

Wasn't Soldier. I can't remember if it was live action, but if so more like the new star wars. I am thinking heavy CGI, but not sure if the main character was real or not.

Oh, and I think the local guy had an Indian accent. This was only about 5 minutes of the show.
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - CS Lewis

Midnight

Postby Midnight » Sat Dec 18, 2010 8:38 pm UTC

a show? That description is dead-on for district 9, but I guess you would've mentioned if the father/son were aliens.
uhhhh fuck.

emceng

Postby emceng » Sat Dec 18, 2010 11:52 pm UTC

Another good guess, but no. This part was only a few minutes of the total show.....Wait. I think it was from the most recent season of Futurama. I'll find out in a few days, since it comes on on Tuesday.

crowey
That's DOCTOR Crowey, to you

Postby crowey » Sun Dec 19, 2010 10:31 am UTC

crowey wrote:This is a vague one, but it's annoying me.
I saw a short bit of what I think was a film, though it might have been a TV series.
It had Simon Baker in it, I think it was from the last 10 years, though possibly late 90s.
In the bit I saw he was in a wetsuit and had taken a tumble surfing and was all cut up on his back/shoulders. There was a suggestion that somewhere else (hawaii, possibly) he had shot two men over a surf territory dispute.

Can't find anything that looks likely from imdb, but the plot summaries are a bit brief on some films...

answering my own one. Turns out it was a part of a TV series called Smith. My guess on date was way out, it was 2006ish.

ArgonV

Postby ArgonV » Tue Dec 21, 2010 12:17 am UTC

This is not for me, but for a friend

It's a movie - from the 90s - from the perspective of a news station like CNN. Aliens come to explore the Earth and leave markers at the north and south pole. Jet fighters destroy the markers left by the aliens, which pissed them of. The return with a full force and then the film ends.

Other things he remembers: In the end, the reporters show photos of their loved ones, there's only a few lead characters and it's called something general, like 'Breaking News' or something similar.

jaap

Postby jaap » Tue Dec 21, 2010 5:59 am UTC

ArgonV wrote:It's a movie - from the 90s - from the perspective of a news station like CNN. Aliens come to explore the Earth and leave markers at the north and south pole. Jet fighters destroy the markers left by the aliens, which pissed them of. The return with a full force and then the film ends.

Other things he remembers: In the end, the reporters show photos of their loved ones, there's only a few lead characters and it's called something general, like 'Breaking News' or something similar.

Is it Alien Siege (2004 TV movie)? It includes a doomsday device at the North Pole and a news bulletin at the end about those who had been killed.

ArgonV

Postby ArgonV » Tue Dec 21, 2010 3:09 pm UTC

Nope, that's not it...

Idhan

PSA with butter-knife bouncing off wall? (vague memory)

Postby Idhan » Sun Dec 26, 2010 7:30 am UTC

Okay. I have a memory from a loooong time ago. It was of some sort of PSA or ad or something against eating too much butter. Or maybe it was an SNL sketch parodying anti-smoking PSAs? I don't know. Anyway, it showed various combat knives striking a wooden (or something) wall. The knives hit the wall and stick into it, as a narrator describes how deadly they are. Then a butter-knife hits the wall and (being a butter-knife) bounces off of it. Then the narrator narrates about how this is the deadliest of all, and reads various statistics about atherosclerosis, heart disease, etc.

Does anyone know anything about this? The time, I'm thinking, was some time in the early 1990s.

HiFranc

Postby HiFranc » Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:27 pm UTC

I'm trying to remember 3 things (2 from when I was a child) and 1 recent movie:

Old (80s?):

1. I think it was a Canadian children's film (live action) but I may be wrong. I only remember two scenes and tiny bit of the plot. Two children (I think brother and sister) spot a flying saucer that looks as though it has crashed. They investigate.

The first scene has them meeting the alien inside. He grabs the air as they speak and seems to be putting that into a bubbling tube/container. We hear strange sounds that resolve to identifiably foreign languages then to English. As this is happening one of the children asks the other what the alien was doing and the the answer comes back (I think it was the other child but it could have been the alien) that he was learning their language.

The 2nd scene has the three of them wading through deep snow (50cm - 1m deep). The alien has green string around his boots and they leave green marks in the snow. The alien says something to the effect of "Your planet is very soft -- I'm sinking into it." One of the children exclaims, "That's not the ground, that's snow!" (or words to that effect)

2. It's a TV series set in space. I think it had teams of children competing. The one thing I remember is that somebody has to be selected to cross a grid. They have to make it to the other side but, each time they move, a column of light moves towards them from the other side. If they choose the same square/point that it's going to move to, they are "evaporated".

Newish movie:

3) Sci-fi movie recently on TV (I think I caught the end of it a year or two ago). From the styling I think the film was made in the 90s but I could be wrong. The story (from what I remember/deduced) is there's a couple investigating alien abductions. They have the aliens and MIBs from the US Government fighing them. The hero's ex-wife turns out to be an alien but she may have even helped them in the quest. The aliens have the ability to make lightning, or something that looks like it, come from their fingers.

Spoiler:
The aliens decide that they've got enough data about mankind and decide to leave. All the people they've abducted are returned (they are floating spheres until they land on something). All the aliens who have been hiding in the US return to the flying saucer and, with the exception of the hero's ex-wife and their daughter, remove their faces. The leader of the aliens broadcasts to the alien collective on the saucer as the door is rotating to close the gap. The leader congratulates the others on the success of the mission and welcomes the child. At that point the girl's mother shouts, "Now! Like mommy showed you!" The girl uses her lightning ability to stop the saucer door closing and jumps through it to be with her father and his girlfriend.

{edit} Ending spoilered for obvious reasons.

zombie_monkey

Postby zombie_monkey » Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:25 am UTC

ConMan wrote:Now, for my two. Both live action children's TV, shown in Australia in the 90s (probably early 90s).

#1:
Two seasons, shown on Channel 10 (IIRC), had a title something like "The Magnificent M####s" or "The Marvellous M#####s", i.e. some adjective starting with M and then the name of the family of central characters. Aliens come, and in the first season they're looking for the new "Grand Baby" as their old one is dying, and the new one has to be someone who was at a particular place and time (which I think was a family BBQ), and there's some ritual involving a bunch of items that were at the same event that includes a punch bowl that has to be placed on their head. Finally it's revealed that the new Grand Baby is the family dog, who when he undertakes the ritual gains the ability to speak. In the second season, there's a new set of items that I think involves attaching a remote control to a door, turning it into a kind of portal-like transportation thing. I think at one point the remote's batteries run out and they have to travel to an "antimatter" universe (i.e. just like the normal one but with personalities switched) and grab some kind of antimatter power source that they keep in a paper bag (which is another one of those items).

I thought that Mark Mitchell played the bad guy in it, but it doesn't appear on his IMDB page. (And given how many times he's played the bad guy in a kids' TV show, it's easy to see where I could get mixed up.)

I've been meaning to ask about this one too, I believe it's the same one. They aired it here in Bulgaria too. I remember the part about the antimatter universe too, they had warned them not to touch anything in it as to not annihilate themselves, and they had special shoes, I think*? and the paper bag was for that too.

Another episode I remember them going to Uluru/Ayers Rock and I think one of them walked up its vertical slope as if it was horizontal, like gravity was 90 degrees off? I'm not sure about this one.

And one of the characters, I think a bad guy, dealed in manure? I remember a lot more delais but they are very unclear and I can't put them in words. I'll try to remember more.

EDIT: Found it! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Miraculous_Mellops_(TV_series)

* Actually I think that's me rationalizing later, when I learned about antimatter (which was pretty soon as I thought this antimatter thing is awesome and I must read about it). I must have been 8-9 when they aired it. I think that's my first memory of noticing scientific logic inaccuracies in popular enertainment. I remember thinking aren't their shoes made of matter? I hadn't heard of antimatter before, I think but it seemed logical. But then when they said they're there for an antimatter power source and the paperbag is made of antimatter, when they touch the paper bag it won't it annihilate? So started thinking about complicated ways they would actually do it :D

ConMan, if you're Australian, can you help me get the two seasons? I can't I find it sold anywhere online. And I remember the giant baby now :D

EDIT 2 after someone else posted: here's the opening credits for Season 2, the Syndey Opeara House floating by is a model that was in a kind of a voodoo way the real thing although they built it from matchsticks or something, I remember this much. Remember, this was my 8 year old perception :) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iT6lt1mv2kc EDIT 3 the window frame floating by in the credits was also somehow magical, it lead to another alternate universe but not the antimatter one?

Spoiler:
Darren finds information on a forum called the Pan-Galactic Bulletin Board. The best way would be through a traveling device known as a "WOOP", or a "Window of Opportunity". With alterations, any normal window will do, however a massive power source is needed to power it. Normal batteries don't get the WOOP very far, so Samantha gets Jane to send her a "Cold Fusion Reactor", the same thing that powers the Moonlings' space ships. This also is not enough.

Darren contacts a young girl on the forum known as Ebony. Ebony is a smart little girl who lives in a black hole and has long been awaiting guests at her own party who have never arrived. Rather than simply emailing Ebony, Ebony actually appears as a 3D hologram to give the Mellops' and Darren advice on how to use the WOOP and other devices of some help in the quest to stop the Grubs. Ebony advises that the Mellops will need a "Compressed Sun", however, a Compressed Sun would blind any normal human being. Ebony has one she can give them, however it must be kept in an anti-matter paper bag.

^This is fucking brilliant, I wonder how many more Usenet references and general nerdiness I missed out on due to me being like 8.
Last edited by zombie_monkey on Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:23 am UTC, edited 8 times in total.

Bobzilla

Postby Bobzilla » Thu Jan 06, 2011 6:38 pm UTC

Hi, any help one this one would be appreciated. It's a horror film, either late 60s or early 70s. It sure felt like a Hammer film, but nothing on the wiki stands out. Two scenes that stand out:

1) The main actor is in a booth on a train. An old man enters the booth with a large suitcase, and the main actor helps him get it to the overhead rack. They converse. A few drops of blood fall from the case. The old man tries to grab the case and bolt, but the case opens and a bunch of arms fall out.

2) The main actor has been trying to find his missing wife all movie. He arrives at the location where he has been told to find her. At one point, he is shouting 'Elizabeth' while running in the darkness. He eventually finds her in the cellar, and of course she has a bad case of monsterism.

sarahthegeek

Postby sarahthegeek » Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:52 pm UTC

Okay, this is a scene from something I saw on TV when I was very little (in the late 90s). I don't know if it's from a TV show or a movie though, I just remember that it terrified the shit out of me and for some reason I want to find out what it was.

Okay, there are two guys and one has been locked in this room by the other (and possibly tied down to a table or the inside of a coffin or something). The trapped guy is clearly evil, has white (or possibly white blonde) slicked back hair, he's very pale, and wears all black. And he has big black motorcycle type boots.

We see the trapped guy laughing evilly and then the camera cuts to the other guy. The other guy is frantically trying to look something up on the computer (I guess he's looking for something that will help him defeat the evil guy) but then the evil guy break down the door, having somehow freed himself. He says something to the other guy that I think was a taunt or something like that. The other guy suddenly realizes he is tied to his computer chair and then he looks at his palms and there is a silver bar or something in each of them, with blood around the edges.

That's all I remember. I have a hunch that it might be something from Buffy the Vampire Slayer (since my memory of the evil guy lines up pretty well with Spike) but I'm not sure. I do know that I had to have seen in it in the late 90s because we moved out of that house in October of 1999.

Zohar
COMMANDER PORN

Postby Zohar » Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:50 pm UTC

I remember seeing a pretty interesting documentary series on TV. Each (45 min? More?) episode was one long interview with one specific person. Only the person being interviewed talked and only they were shown. Intertwined with just shots of their head were also cuts to some other scenes sometimes, with the interviewer doing voice over. IIRC the background for the interviewers was mostly the same color (possibly some shading as well), but different in each episode.

I specifically remember one episode where they interviewed a woman who designs slaughterhouses, and another where they interviewed the woman manager of a medical oddities museum. I don't remember any of the other people, they weren't all women.

I'm fairly certain it's an American production, or at least all the people interviewed were American, so probably not a BBC production.
Mighty Jalapeno: "See, Zohar agrees, and he's nice to people."
SecondTalon: "Still better looking than Jesus."

Not how I say my name

Return to “Movies and TV Shows”