Cloverfield [CONTAINS SPOILERS]

Rot your brains, then rot our boards

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

TheAmazingRando

Cloverfield [CONTAINS SPOILERS]

Postby TheAmazingRando » Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:37 am UTC

I'm surprised there isn't a thread on this already, all I could find was one speculating on it that died last July, and wasn't even in the movie forum.

Anyway, I just saw a midnight showing of it and I was very impressed. The handheld style was a bit nauseating for the first 5 minutes, but after that it didn't really bother me. Probably the best suspense film I've ever seen, I mean the story line was nothing too original and there were some cliched and easily anticipated moments, but the chaotic atmosphere and realistic characters really gave it a sense of realism I don't think any other movies on the subject could ever achieve.

It isn't the kind of movie I could watch repeatedly, since so much of it is wondering what will happen next, and being sucked in to the eye-witness realism of the whole thing, but it would probably stand up well to a second viewing just to pick up on all the things I missed, since so many shots were so quick.

The rest of what I want to say would probably go best inside a spoiler tag:
Spoiler:
No, it is not Cthulhu, nor is it anything like Cthulhu, it's an original monster invented for the purpose of this movie (as J.J. Abrams has been saying all along), and yes you do see a little bit more of it than necessary. I don't know what it is, but it does look very cool.

I think that the deaths in this movie (I'm talking main character deaths, not background casualties) were much more well done than in most others. Since it's all supposed to be real-time first-person there isn't really any preparation for them, the camera doesn't linger and there isn't really a satisfying definite conclusion. People die quickly, and the other characters have to cope with that quickly while also trying to preserve their own lives. I found one death to be particularly terrifying, in the sense of complete helplessness that it evoked, both for the victims and for the other characters. It's a shame that it was spoiled somewhat by the trailers.
Last edited by TheAmazingRando on Mon Jan 21, 2008 7:00 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Cathode Ray Sunshine

Re: Cloverfield

Postby Cathode Ray Sunshine » Fri Jan 18, 2008 2:47 pm UTC

I definitely want to see it, though I know it will be a while till they show it here. I've heard many positive reviews of it, and from the trailers it looks awesome. Curiosity got the best of me so I've already seen some sketches of the monster and a video someone took with their cell phone camera of the monster.

Pirate.Bondage

Postby Pirate.Bondage » Fri Jan 18, 2008 3:38 pm UTC

It hasn't come here yet but I'm dying to see it. I love suspense movies!
Life is beautiful.
Spoiler:
Irrefutable wrote:you are so lovely

emceng wrote:Then the sausage says, "I have 1 kid, and raging genital herpes." Get the fuck away from me sausage!!!

sje46 wrote:Do... do you want to marry me?

Dobblesworth
Dobblesworth, here's the title you requested over three years ago. -Banana

Postby Dobblesworth » Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:12 pm UTC

I only jumped on the Cloverfield net-hype bandwagon last month, having done some random Wikipedia-hopping over a lunch-break. Seriously looking forward to seeing, but being British, I have to wait another 2 weeks.

Spoiler:
/statue-hurl
"OH MY GOD! OH MY GOD! OH MY GOD!"

Spoiler:
Rob, Rob, I saw it! It's a lion!

I really think it's well thought-out with these Tagruato, Slusho, 01-18-08.com and all the other viral sites linked with it. Really builds the suspsense up to the point you see it. Though the end result might be just a "monster attacks NYC, monster leaves, some people die, some buildings fall, the end", rather than a global conspiracy from a Japanese oil drilling company.

aaron

Postby aaron » Sat Jan 19, 2008 5:42 am UTC

just got home from seeing it.

Spoiler:
I found one death to be particularly terrifying, in the sense of complete helplessness that it evoked, both for the victims and for the other characters. It's a shame that it was spoiled somewhat by the trailers.

Spoiler:
are you talking about marlena's death? that was freaking sweet! but you're right, it left hud pretty shook up and it showed.

overall, i thought it was okay. it was too hyped imo, and it didn't really live up to that hype, but it was still a decent view and an accurate portrayal of what would have happened if someone had a camera in that situation.

Durandal

Postby Durandal » Sat Jan 19, 2008 4:44 pm UTC

Last edited by Durandal on Wed Jul 08, 2009 4:46 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Nyarlathotep
Not a god. Not even a titan.

Postby Nyarlathotep » Sat Jan 19, 2008 6:34 pm UTC

I got so motion sick from this film that I literally could not walk straight and couldn't eat anything afterwards. Also...

Spoiler:
Marlena's death, and Hud's death, were so fucking terrifying for me that I had nightmares. Not. Cool. ALSO, the helicopter, the fuckin helicopter x_X and then the end...

I'm sure it was a good film, I just didn't like it at all, and I never want to see it again. urrgh.
'Gehȳrst þū, sǣlida, hwæt þis folc segeð?
hī willað ēow tō gafole gāras syllan,
ǣttrynne ord and ealde swurd,
þā heregeatu þe ēow æt hilde ne dēah.

xndrew
Look on my hair, ye Mighty, and despair!

Postby xndrew » Sat Jan 19, 2008 6:57 pm UTC

They did a lot of things right, and they really made a pretty okay film, but I have some serious gripes with a couple of the shots and scenes. But I really like
Spoiler:
when Marlena died, the way that you only got a silhouette, a splash of blood, and then nothing. It really captured how quickly everything was moving and happening, and how little control and time people in crisis areas have to respond to their surroundings. The movement of the story was appealing as well, giving them somewhere to go rather than just having them try to high-tail it out of New York.

What really bothered me was everything after the helicopter crash. I didn't care to see the monster's face, fuck that, not needed, and the whole thing under the bridge felt completely unnecessary. Not only that, the girl, who mind you was just impaled but twenty minutes ago, was running up hill, survived a helicopter crash, and all this other shit. I'm not saying it's impossible, but none of them died after fuck falling from the sky? Just the pilots? I would have much prefered it ended with the helicopter crash, maybe you hear the sirens, then the blast, then it's over. But oh well, I still enjoyed it.

alkatmsu

Postby alkatmsu » Sat Jan 19, 2008 8:55 pm UTC

I absolutely loved it. Been following every tiny detail of the online stuff since almost day one. I didn't have any problem with the motion of the camera; I really enjoyed it. Made me feel like it was really happening, rather than just seeing something happen like a normal movie. I didn't find too many cliches though. For example:

Spoiler:
In a typical movie, after they rescued Beth from the knocked-over building, immediately after they got away from it, the building(s) would have collasped totally.

One cliche I did catch, but was nicely used:

Spoiler:
When they were in the helicopter and the monster got bombed, they thought it was dead, then it jumped back up at them. Fairly typical, but as it was done, it made people jump anyway.

The main beef I have with the movie is when it took place. That renders almost all of the online stuff (oil rig newscasts, the myspace pages, tido) moot.

Herman

Postby Herman » Sat Jan 19, 2008 11:43 pm UTC

Hey, so where did the name "Cloverfield" come from? Put in a spoiler thing I guess.

Teh Russians

Postby Teh Russians » Sun Jan 20, 2008 12:58 am UTC

I got up early this morning to see it for $4. I thought it was awesome, they really used that first-person style of filming to their advantage.

I recommend The Blair Witch Project to anyone who liked the style.

Spoiler:
I thought it was going to be Godzilla
Confucius wrote:Sit by the river long enough, and the bodies of your enemies will float by.

aaron

Postby aaron » Sun Jan 20, 2008 4:12 am UTC

Herman wrote:Hey, so where did the name "Cloverfield" come from? Put in a spoiler thing I guess.

technically, it's a street sign in new york and that's where they got the name. but the explanation they offered was that cloverfield was the name of the US military operation to subdue the monster. the monster had feet that looked like 3 leaf clovers and it left footprints all over new york, hence "cloverfield"

pieaholicx
The cake is a lie!

Postby pieaholicx » Sun Jan 20, 2008 3:01 pm UTC

I saw it last night, and I loved it. I really enjoyed how they took the monster movie story and instead of focusing on some hero who defeats it, they focus on just some innocent bystander who happened to have a camera.

Now how many of you stayed until the end of the credits? For those that didn't:
Spoiler:
I didn't catch what was said, but it's better I didn't, or rather I wouldn't have understood it anyway. Turns out there was a moment where they played "it's still alive" backwards.

Also, one other minor thing that I didn't catch but heard about was
Spoiler:
if you look closely at the ending bit where they're back to the original video you can see something going into the ocean.
It's okay, I'm Chaotic Neutral. I can kill him over the loot.
Overexposure to pieaholicx may, in semi-rare cases, emancipate dental fillings, crowns, tooth enamel, and teeth.

alkatmsu

Postby alkatmsu » Sun Jan 20, 2008 3:08 pm UTC

pieaholicx wrote:I saw it last night, and I loved it. I really enjoyed how they took the monster movie story and instead of focusing on some hero who defeats it, they focus on just some innocent bystander who happened to have a camera.

Now how many of you stayed until the end of the credits? For those that didn't:
Spoiler:
I didn't catch what was said, but it's better I didn't, or rather I wouldn't have understood it anyway. Turns out there was a moment where they played "it's still alive" backwards.

Link: http://youtube.com/watch?v=KedulLpjBOM

Also, one other minor thing that I didn't catch but heard about was
Spoiler:
if you look closely at the ending bit where they're back to the original video you can see something going into the ocean.

I heard about that also, want to see it again to see if it's there.

Aluminus

Postby Aluminus » Sun Jan 20, 2008 6:48 pm UTC

Spoiler:
The dark piece that fell into the ocean was a chunk of the hituso (awful spelling) satellite. Tagruato sent up another satellite to find out what happened to it. Maybe it woke up the monster? I stayed until after the credits and honestly I couldn't hear what he was saying.
fyrenwater wrote:Oh dear God, I just imagined this horrible scenario of a psychotic non-people-person running around, trying to steal the people-person section of people-peoples' brains to implant into their own brain.

pieaholicx
The cake is a lie!

Postby pieaholicx » Sun Jan 20, 2008 8:11 pm UTC

Aluminus wrote:
Spoiler:
The dark piece that fell into the ocean was a chunk of the hituso (awful spelling) satellite. Tagruato sent up another satellite to find out what happened to it. Maybe it woke up the monster? I stayed until after the credits and honestly I couldn't hear what he was saying.

Spoiler:
Well it was backwards, so making it out would have been hard. As for the satellite thing, from what I can hear that would be what disturbed it, and the oil tanker bit was the "first victim" to it.
Overexposure to pieaholicx may, in semi-rare cases, emancipate dental fillings, crowns, tooth enamel, and teeth.

joeframbach

Postby joeframbach » Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:22 am UTC

Spoiler:
The voice on the radio after the credits was not backwards. If you have a quiet theater you should be able to hear it clearly. It was plain as day, "It's still alive."

Spoiler:
Also, I caught the thing falling into the ocean at Coney Island with 5-6 seconds left on film. Freaky.

Alisto
Crazy like a BOX!

Postby Alisto » Mon Jan 21, 2008 4:05 am UTC

joeframbach wrote:
Spoiler:
The voice on the radio after the credits was not backwards. If you have a quiet theater you should be able to hear it clearly. It was plain as day, "It's still alive."

Considering that my sister and I were the last ones in the theater and neither of us could figure out what was said, I'm going to say that you're wrong.

Also, can a mod please label this thread as having spoilers? Almost every post in here is in spoiler tags, which is completely unnecessary.
Bad grammar makes me [sic].
Crazy like a BOX!
<Jauss> Because karaoke, especially karaoke + lesbians = Alisto, amirite?
<rachel> Old people ain't got shit to do but look at clocks.

@trophy

Re: Cloverfield [CONTAINS SPOILERS]

Postby @trophy » Mon Jan 21, 2008 12:52 pm UTC

Ok, I saw it tonight, and I loved it. As a media major, I was amazed at some of the shit they were able to pull off with the hand-held. Plot wise, it was great to see it turn into a sort of existential fairy tale a la Titanic where the moral is "Live life to the fullest today because tomorrow a giant monster might attack your town and you will die a horrible death."

But there are some things I would have done differently.

Spoiler:
1: You never should have seen the monster completely. A flash of a leg, then most of its back with some buildings in front of it, etc, but that's it. I know that's the kind of thing the studio is like "Fuck no we're not going to do that!" but seriously... what I had in my head before I saw it fully for the first time was way scarier than what it turned out to be. Kind of like that kid I read about that when TV first came out someone asked him what he thought and he said he preferred radio because "the pictures are better."

2: It wasn't clear what happened to Marlena, and I would have liked to have known. I understand why you didn't get to find out, but it made me curious as to whether she exploded, started turning into whatever it is you turn into, or if they shot her to avoid something horrible happening. I didn't hear a gunshot sound effect, so I don't think it was C, but I would have loved that to be more clear.

3: Actually, there is no three. If you fixed 1 and 2, it'd pretty much be a perfect movie. :D
Insignificant Deification wrote:Because, sometimes, you've gotta have a taste of vulva

pieaholicx
The cake is a lie!

Postby pieaholicx » Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:06 pm UTC

@trophy wrote:
Spoiler:
2: It wasn't clear what happened to Marlena, and I would have liked to have known. I understand why you didn't get to find out, but it made me curious as to whether she exploded, started turning into whatever it is you turn into, or if they shot her to avoid something horrible happening. I didn't hear a gunshot sound effect, so I don't think it was C, but I would have loved that to be more clear.

Spoiler:
I'm going to guess that the bite from those creatures injected some kind of poison that made her explode. I still hated that she died though, I liked her character. Kind of reminded me of the type of character that Zooey Deschanel usually plays. Looked a lot like her too.

l33t_sas

Postby l33t_sas » Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:44 pm UTC

I think the ten minutes of me and my friend shouting "Motherfucking Cloverfield!" at each other upon the movie's termination pretty much sums up my our opinion of the movie.
You're thinking of a Pegasus. Unicorns don't fly, they just sort of... plummet.

xndrew
Look on my hair, ye Mighty, and despair!

Postby xndrew » Mon Jan 21, 2008 3:05 pm UTC

@trophy: While knowing exactly what happened to Marlena might be nice, I feellike sticking around for an explaination wouldn't work with the story, nor would it be the kind of information that a bunch of civilians would be privy to. I guess the cool black solider dude is also a little hard to swallow, but a lot easier than a full debriefing on what a fuck-that-you've-been-bitten-by-them situation.

Vanguard

Postby Vanguard » Mon Jan 21, 2008 3:09 pm UTC

I would like to request some screenshots of noted "monster", spoiler tag'd or PM'd I don't care. I won't be able to see this movie for a while since my money goes to food >_>

Rodan
Any title.

Postby Rodan » Mon Jan 21, 2008 4:57 pm UTC

I really liked the movie. If nothing else, it was certainly intense.
I also would have preferred to see a bit less of the monster, because the imagination is pretty much always scarier than the truth.

Anpheus
I can't get any worse, can I?

Postby Anpheus » Mon Jan 21, 2008 7:01 pm UTC

It was thoroughly enjoyable and a great movie about people in horrible circumstances. It's not a monster movie in the traditional sense. There is no hero to save they day. The protagonist(s) are not closet geniuses who will find a cure. The monster is not miraculously vulnerable to some common Earthly compound (be that water or medicated shampoo.) Their fear is realistic, their emotions are tangible. They are pulled by their feelings to do things that in the circumstances seem insane, for love and friendship. They could have abandoned each other, they could have not sought out another, they could have simply left and said fuck that.

Thanks, J.J. Abrams,
You delivered.
Last edited by Anpheus on Mon Jan 21, 2008 7:50 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Spoiler:

Code: Select all

/###\_________/###\
  |#################|
  \#################/
   |##┌         ┐##|
   |##  (¯`v´¯)  ##|
   |##  `\ ♥ /´  ##|
   |##   `\¸/´   ##|
   |##└         ┘##|
  /#################\
  |#################|
  \###/¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯\###/

@trophy

Postby @trophy » Mon Jan 21, 2008 7:08 pm UTC

Anpheus wrote:It was thoroughly enjoyable and a great movie about people in horrible circumstances. It's not a monster movie in the traditional sense. There is no hero to save they day. The protagonist(s) are not closet geniuses who will find a cure. The monster is not miraculously vulnerable to some common Earthly compound (be that water or medicated shampoo.) Their fear is realistic, their emotions are tangible. They are pulled by the way their feelings to do things that in the circumstances seem insane, for love and friendship. They could have abandoned each other, they could have not sought out another, they could have simply left and said fuck that.

Thanks, J.J. Abrams,
You delivered.

I agree. Nearly perfect movie.
And while we're on the subject of realistic fear, I actually forgot this, but one thing I thought was funny was the following:

Spoiler:
After they rescued Beth, they were all climbing across the roof to the other building again. To their left was the big fucking monster, and yet the camera was pointed at their feet for most of the time. Now, I can understand wanting to look forward, but if it was me, I'd be holding the camera pointing to the left because there's a big fucking monster there, and that ain't the kind of stuff you see every day, ya know? And actually I'd probably slip and die because I'd have a very hard time taking my eyes off of said monster long enough to climb across the roof.
Insignificant Deification wrote:Because, sometimes, you've gotta have a taste of vulva

pieaholicx
The cake is a lie!

Postby pieaholicx » Mon Jan 21, 2008 7:49 pm UTC

Anpheus wrote:(be that water or medicated shampoo.)
I have a stockpile of Head & Shoulders just in case...

Nyarlathotep
Not a god. Not even a titan.

Postby Nyarlathotep » Mon Jan 21, 2008 8:58 pm UTC

pieaholicx wrote:
@trophy wrote:
Spoiler:

Spoiler:
I'm going to guess that the bite from those creatures injected some kind of poison that made her explode. I still hated that she died though, I liked her character. Kind of reminded me of the type of character that Zooey Deschanel usually plays. Looked a lot like her too.

Spoiler:
Actually, I'm pretty damn sure that the creature actually pops out of her chest, Alien style. they kind of allude to it right before - the camera pans over a guy with his chest cavity burst open with nasty claw marks on him, and then over a critter in a glass case, covered in blood. Also, if you pay attention to her silhouette, it's pretty clear that there's an insect leg coming out of her when she explodes. Furthermore you can hear one of those things right after.

Which to me is even scarier.

So I think it's that the things grow really fucking fast, eat your innards and thereby liquify them (thus the bleeding eyes and whatnot) and then burst out. That's also why they freaked out and went OH GOD WE HAVE A BITE! becuase a bite means you have one of those fucking things in the vicinity.

*e* This movie is a REALLY interesting contrast to The Host. The disease in this one is real, for instance. I think I liked The Host better though.
'Gehȳrst þū, sǣlida, hwæt þis folc segeð?
hī willað ēow tō gafole gāras syllan,
ǣttrynne ord and ealde swurd,
þā heregeatu þe ēow æt hilde ne dēah.

Alisto
Crazy like a BOX!

Postby Alisto » Mon Jan 21, 2008 9:43 pm UTC

Guys, we don't need spoiler tags anymore. Just so you know.
Crazy like a BOX!

@trophy

Postby @trophy » Mon Jan 21, 2008 9:44 pm UTC

Nyarlathotep wrote:
Actually, I'm pretty damn sure that the creature actually pops out of her chest, Alien style. they kind of allude to it right before - the camera pans over a guy with his chest cavity burst open with nasty claw marks on him, and then over a critter in a glass case, covered in blood. Also, if you pay attention to her silhouette, it's pretty clear that there's an insect leg coming out of her when she explodes. Furthermore you can hear one of those things right after.

Which to me is even scarier.

So I think it's that the things grow really fucking fast, eat your innards and thereby liquify them (thus the bleeding eyes and whatnot) and then burst out. That's also why they freaked out and went OH GOD WE HAVE A BITE! becuase a bite means you have one of those fucking things in the vicinity.

LOL I think you mis-spelled "ZOMG" there... which makes me giggle because I can totally see them working that into the rest of the military acronyms just to see if we notice... "Sir, we have a class-5 Z.O.M.G. about 4 clicks north of our current position..."

EDIT: Spoiler tags removed just because I can...

Aluminus

Postby Aluminus » Tue Jan 22, 2008 1:33 am UTC

Ok, at first I wanted to just say, "screw it, no more spoiler tags". But then I thought of Nyarlathotep, and I reconsidered. So click at your own risk.

Spoiler:
RAWR!
Apply bleach liberally to the soiled area.
fyrenwater wrote:Oh dear God, I just imagined this horrible scenario of a psychotic non-people-person running around, trying to steal the people-person section of people-peoples' brains to implant into their own brain.

blind visionary

Postby blind visionary » Tue Jan 22, 2008 2:02 am UTC

I really enjoyed the movie though a number of other people in the theater didn't. I know this for a fact because after the credits I heard a bunch of people scream out "That's it?!" "What?!" and "That sucked!"

@trophy

Postby @trophy » Tue Jan 22, 2008 2:12 am UTC

blind visionary wrote:I really enjoyed the movie though a number of other people in the theater didn't. I know this for a fact because after the credits I heard a bunch of people scream out "That's it?!" "What?!" and "That sucked!"

Yeah there were a couple of 16-ish year old emos coming out as we were saying "Dude, that sucked. If I wanted to see the Blair Witch Project I woulda gone to see that..."

Now, there are things you could legitimately criticize Cloverfield for, but going to see it and then berating it for the whole "all footage from some dude's camera" thing is beyond stupid. It's like going to Sweeny Todd and then being like "Oh me yarm Oh this is a musical?!?! I'm so fucking disappointed!" No shit it's a musical... if you don't like musicals, why did you go see it?!?!

Aluminus

Postby Aluminus » Tue Jan 22, 2008 2:29 am UTC

Sweeny Todd is a musical?

Anpheus

Postby Anpheus » Tue Jan 22, 2008 2:36 am UTC

Yes. Didn't you notice the singing in the trailer, ads?
Spoiler:

/###\_________/###\
  |#################|
  \#################/
   |##┌         ┐##|
   |##  (¯`v´¯)  ##|
   |##  `\ ♥ /´  ##|
   |##   `\¸/´   ##|
   |##└         ┘##|
  /#################\
  |#################|
  \###/¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯\###/

Aluminus

Postby Aluminus » Tue Jan 22, 2008 2:41 am UTC

Not really as a matter of fact. I just saw a guy with awesome hair and a sharp blade. I'm sure it's a good movie, it just never occurred to me that it was a musical. I thought the main character was a twisted barber who kills people. It's a musical?

Alisto
Crazy like a BOX!

Postby Alisto » Tue Jan 22, 2008 3:21 am UTC

Aluminus wrote:Image

1. This animation has horrible lighting.
2. I didn't think it once throughout the movie, but now I'm considering how easily the monster could be an Angel in Evangelion.
Crazy like a BOX!

Anpheus

Postby Anpheus » Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:01 am UTC

You know what else has horrible lighting? The real world.
Spoiler:

/###\_________/###\
  |#################|
  \#################/
   |##┌         ┐##|
   |##  (¯`v´¯)  ##|
   |##  `\ ♥ /´  ##|
   |##   `\¸/´   ##|
   |##└         ┘##|
  /#################\
  |#################|
  \###/¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯\###/

@trophy

Postby @trophy » Tue Jan 22, 2008 1:34 pm UTC

Aluminus wrote:Not really as a matter of fact. I just saw a guy with awesome hair and a sharp blade. I'm sure it's a good movie, it just never occurred to me that it was a musical. I thought the main character was a twisted barber who kills people. It's a musical?

Looks like someone hasn't seen Jersey Girl...

(seriously... if you haven't, go get it. It's a good movie, and they do a song from Sweeny Todd in it)

Aluminus

Postby Aluminus » Tue Jan 22, 2008 2:30 pm UTC

Maybe the flash from the nuclear bomb would make good lighting?

Return to “Movies and TV Shows”