Monk

Rot your brains, then rot our boards

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Lumpy
I can has morbid obesity?

Monk

Postby Lumpy » Fri Jan 18, 2008 11:05 pm UTC

Has anyone seen the television show Monk on the USA Network? I figured it would be something many people would like because it has a lot of humor about obsessive compulsive disorder, which is in a few xkcd strips (like using a pattern in deciding which linoleum tiles to step on).

Capt. Stottlemeyer: Can you read the letters on this engine ID to me?
Lt. Disher: T as in tsunami...
Capt. Stottlemeyer: Tsunami? There is no t sound in tsunami.
Lt. Disher: Yes there is. It goes "t-suh."

My favorite was the first from last season.

Kizyr

Re: Monk

Postby Kizyr » Sat Jan 19, 2008 5:05 pm UTC

It's one of my favorite shows. I usually catch a lot of it when USA is marathoning it (which seems to happen a lot...).

I mean it's very formulaic, but still really good. And, yeah, I can sympathize with Monk and his OCD to an extent, since I have a few of those habits myself (most of them I worked out of when I was a lot younger, though). Oh, and, it's a lot more enjoyable than other detective(-ish) shows like CSI in that solving the case is more about deductive reasoning, not about waiting for everything to get back to a crime lab. But, that's more my irritation with CSI...

EDIT: The funny thing is, in the quotation you posted, Lt. Disher was actually right for once... KF
~Kizyr

Gadren

Postby Gadren » Sat Jan 19, 2008 5:33 pm UTC

I haven't watched it in a while (but that's mainly because I almost never watch TV here at college), but it was a weekly staple of my existence with my parents. And while it was formulaic at times, it had great humor and was one of the best shows on TV.

Lumpy

Postby Lumpy » Sun Jan 20, 2008 4:55 am UTC

I didn't like last week's episode as much as the ones before it; it was too unbelievable that Monk could be brainwashed to the extent that he drops a wipe with charcoal-stained hands and wipes his mouth on his sleeve. The writers tried their hardest, though. Yesterday's had all the kinds of jokes I love from this show, like draining all the ink pens in a bank to make them even, Monk as a security guard handing out money to people that withdraw amounts that aren't round numbers, and the living statue storyline.

Kizyr

Postby Kizyr » Mon Jan 21, 2008 5:34 am UTC

Lumpy wrote:I didn't like last week's episode as much as the ones before it; it was too unbelievable that Monk could be brainwashed to the extent that he drops a wipe with charcoal-stained hands and wipes his mouth on his sleeve.

Yeah, true. That part was a bit too unbelievable, given his character. (Though, it was kind of like when he went blind and was able to ignore all the stuff that would've normally bothered him.) But, most of the rest of that particular episode was great.

Also, the main reason I was looking forward to that episode was on account of Howie Mandel's own OCD. KF
~Kizyr

Lumpy

Postby Lumpy » Wed Feb 27, 2008 6:12 am UTC

The two-part season finale was the best I've ever seen, but I was disappointed that the guy that hired the six-fingered car bomber to assassinate the governor wasn't the same guy that hired him to kill Trudy. I hope they find Trudy's killer at the end of next season.

HighCharity

Postby HighCharity » Wed Feb 27, 2008 6:14 am UTC

I. LOVE. THAT. SHOW. I have been watching it since the last season, and it's such a great show. It's got to be my favorite.
folkhero wrote:I feel bad for the hooker, but that guy is too annoying to not make fun of.

Are Thefinvispol, Child wrote:Life is, in a word, caverns.

Mother Superior
Better than tea

Postby Mother Superior » Wed Feb 27, 2008 1:57 pm UTC

I've only watched the first season and it's good. Funny, and Tony Shalhoub is great. My sister hates it cause of how it depicts OCD though :P
My crappy creepy? Crabby? My crabby blog.
"She bore also the fruitless deep with his raging swell, Pontus, without sweet union of love."
- Hesiod, Theogony

PatrickRsGhost

Postby PatrickRsGhost » Wed Feb 27, 2008 4:56 pm UTC

I've only watched parts of some episodes, and only one or two episodes in their entirety. One of the more current ones I saw was when Monk had to serve on the jury, and he was the only one who still thought the defendant to be not guilty. He sees a body in the dumpster behind the court house, but no one will believe him.

Another one I remembered dealt with a radio DJ's neighbor's dog that he had trained to run over to his house whenever he uttered his catch phrase "Timber me shivers" to turn on the gas to his bedroom fireplace, killing his wife.
PRG

An important message for you:

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Wed Feb 27, 2008 5:05 pm UTC

Meh. He's neurotic, he's not OCD. All his behaviors felt contrived and tossed in by writers who have only interacted with Jewish mothers. His methods for solving the crimes was vaguely interesting, but no where near as cool as CSI: Vegas.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

Aleril
Le Rail

Postby Aleril » Wed Feb 27, 2008 5:41 pm UTC

Since I watched this after I saw Psych I was constantly comparing them (poorly)

All in all I find it a favorable show and how they are able to use his OCD/ to his advantage in certain situations.

Also you cant really say that the character doesnt have OCD. If the writers wrote him having it then he does, even if it an under/overdramataized version of it. Try not to take it too seriously.

HighCharity

Postby HighCharity » Wed Feb 27, 2008 6:01 pm UTC

Aleril wrote:Since I watched this after I saw Psych I was constantly comparing them (poorly)

All in all I find it a favorable show and how they are able to use his OCD/ to his advantage in certain situations.

Also you cant really say that the character doesnt have OCD. If the writers wrote him having it then he does, even if it an under/overdramataized version of it. Try not to take it too seriously.

I did the exact same thing. I like both shows equally, mabye Monk a little bit more than Psych, although if I'm looking for a laugh I'll watch Psych.
folkhero wrote:I feel bad for the hooker, but that guy is too annoying to not make fun of.

Allium Cepa

Postby Allium Cepa » Wed Feb 27, 2008 6:55 pm UTC

It's no suprise to me how many awards Tony Shaloub has won for playing Monk, considering how fantastic he is at it. I'm on the fence between Pysch and Monk though. Monk has the better stories and the crimes are a little better, but I find Pysch to be a lot funnier. Whenever Shawn and Gus argue about grammar it jsut cracks me up.

But what I like most about Monk is how fast it can go from being witty than straight to tragic. Like that one where Monk gets the kid for a little while. That was a single tear moment.
Take me back to the day that I went blind, I would like to see your face for one last time.

Kizyr

Postby Kizyr » Wed Feb 27, 2008 7:38 pm UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:Meh. He's neurotic, he's not OCD. All his behaviors felt contrived and tossed in by writers who have only interacted with Jewish mothers. His methods for solving the crimes was vaguely interesting, but no where near as cool as CSI: Vegas.

His behavior is modeled after OCD. But if you notice, they're careful in the script never to actually outright say the words "OCD". Many of the little quirks he has, though, are very characteristic of it--having to keep things straight, needing balance or symmetry, etc.

It's better that they don't directly say it's OCD, since it gives them a bit more leeway with his neuroses.

Aleril wrote:All in all I find it a favorable show and how they are able to use his OCD/ to his advantage in certain situations.

True... The biggest reason I like the show, other than the characterization, is the way that they solve crimes through deductive reasoning. I can't stand stuff like CSI, where it's just a bunch of evidence, a black box of forensic science and technobabble, and then the end conclusion. But using logic and deductive reasoning to work out a case is a lot more relatable, and enjoyable to watch. KF
~Kizyr

Mother Superior
Better than tea

Postby Mother Superior » Thu Feb 28, 2008 12:26 am UTC

Kizyr wrote:
Izawwlgood wrote:Meh. He's neurotic, he's not OCD. All his behaviors felt contrived and tossed in by writers who have only interacted with Jewish mothers. His methods for solving the crimes was vaguely interesting, but no where near as cool as CSI: Vegas.

His behavior is modeled after OCD. But if you notice, they're careful in the script never to actually outright say the words "OCD". Many of the little quirks he has, though, are very characteristic of it--having to keep things straight, needing balance or symmetry, etc.

Well, yeah but a man with all the compulsions he has wouldn't really be acting charmingly quirky like Monk does. He'd be near suicidal. Scrubs showed OCD really well in that episode with Michael J Fox. Still you're right, they never say OCD so good on them.
My crappy creepy? Crabby? My crabby blog.
"She bore also the fruitless deep with his raging swell, Pontus, without sweet union of love."
- Hesiod, Theogony

HighCharity

Postby HighCharity » Thu Feb 28, 2008 12:38 am UTC

Mother Superior wrote:
Kizyr wrote:

Well, yeah but a man with all the compulsions he has wouldn't really be acting charmingly quirky like Monk does. He'd be near suicidal. Scrubs showed OCD really well in that episode with Michael J Fox. Still you're right, they never say OCD so good on them.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but when they made the show, it wasn't a show that was meant to be exactly as it would happen in real life. Killers don't leave trails of clues, although they may be minute.

Allium Cepa

Postby Allium Cepa » Thu Feb 28, 2008 4:40 am UTC

HighCharity wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong, but when they made the show, it wasn't a show that was meant to be exactly as it would happen in real life. Killers don't leave trails of clues, although they may be minute.

That I really don't mind, I mean really how many murders are there in San Francisco anyways? The thing that really bugs me is that they reveal who the killer is before the case is solved. I like to try and figure it out myself before the end. That's why I like Law and Order. Even after the trial is over, there can still be doubt about the verdict.
Take me back to the day that I went blind, I would like to see your face for one last time.

Lumpy

Postby Lumpy » Thu Feb 28, 2008 4:47 am UTC

They used to not do that and sometimes still don't, though

HighCharity

Postby HighCharity » Thu Feb 28, 2008 6:13 pm UTC

Allium Cepa wrote:
HighCharity wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong, but when they made the show, it wasn't a show that was meant to be exactly as it would happen in real life. Killers don't leave trails of clues, although they may be minute.

That I really don't mind, I mean really how many murders are there in San Francisco anyways? The thing that really bugs me is that they reveal who the killer is before the case is solved. I like to try and figure it out myself before the end. That's why I like Law and Order. Even after the trial is over, there can still be doubt about the verdict.

I don't like those episodes either, but they don't do it every time.

PatrickRsGhost

Postby PatrickRsGhost » Fri Feb 29, 2008 2:13 pm UTC

HighCharity wrote:
Allium Cepa wrote:

I don't like those episodes either, but they don't do it every time.

Those kinds of episodes make me go "wait...what?" every time. Last night there was an episode of SVU that did just that. I had seen it before, or parts of it, last time it aired. It was about a singer whose son was found dead, and the daughter had suffered some injuries over time. The detectives first suspected abuse, but it turned out a lot of the injuries were self-inflicted. The daughter was seeking attention, since the mother was constantly on the road doing concerts, and just seemed to be too busy to take care of her daughter. The daughter was becoming very clingy towards Det. Benson, and Benson said the child should be removed from the home, and placed in a foster home. At family court the judge denied the request, and the daughter was to return to her parents.
PRG

An important message for you:

Mr. Beck
Commencing Countdown, Engines On

Postby Mr. Beck » Tue Mar 04, 2008 10:52 pm UTC

When I first started watching Monk, I loved it. After a while, however, I realized that all it was doing was rehashing the same neurosis and compulsions. Seeing Monk squirm after [naked folks/mud/blood/tight spaces/crowds] gets old pretty fast. Also, the mysteries are so easy that I get no "Ahhh, I am so smart" moments.

Lumpy

Postby Lumpy » Tue Mar 04, 2008 11:12 pm UTC

I thought "To force heaven, Mars shall have a new angel." as code for a street address was pretty clever. It'd fool the police into thinking it was just rhetoric by the murderer referring to serving the Roman god of war.

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby Felstaff » Tue Mar 04, 2008 11:18 pm UTC

I loved the pilot feature-length episode. I just happened to catch it on TV one day. I thought, hey I better watch this programme, but I've yet to watch a regular episode.
Away, you scullion! you rampallion! You fustilarian! I'll tickle your catastrophe.

1337geek

Postby 1337geek » Tue Mar 18, 2008 4:06 pm UTC

Does anyone else here remember Sharona, Monk's first assistant? That was back when the Captain hated Monk -- now they're best friends! It's fun to see how the show has progressed over the years. Monk is one of my favorite shows, and I remember when they came up with Psych to go alongside it. When it premiered, I thought I would be disappointed because Monk is so awesome, but I was pleasantly surprised. Psych is now my other favorite show (although both of them bow to The Daily Show on my list). Watching USA from 9 to 11 has become a Friday night tradition.
"Duct tape is like the Force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together." --Carl Zwanzig

Allium Cepa

Postby Allium Cepa » Tue Mar 18, 2008 9:24 pm UTC

I never liked Sharona. After watching a couple reruns, it only cemented my disadain for her. That accent. Ugh. She's trying way to hard to be the independent-sassy-single mom and it just sucks. I do like Natalie, though, even if there are some similarities, I just find her much less annoying.

Lumpy

Postby Lumpy » Tue Mar 18, 2008 9:39 pm UTC

I started watching during the fifth season and have season a few early reruns, and I like Natalie much better than Sharona. It kind of feels like she's a mish-mash of stereotypes..what Allium Cepa said, plus the "New York Bronx," like Jo from The Facts of Life, "Italian," and "Jewish mother" (like the Jon Stewart impression) stereotypes. That didn't stop my love for Scotty from Star Trek, because "Scottish accent," "loves Scotch," and "loves engineering more than anything" are his defining character traits. It feels different than that, though...

HighCharity

Postby HighCharity » Thu Apr 24, 2008 10:58 pm UTC

I don't mean to revive the thread, but, Stanley Kamel passed away about a week ago... :(

Allium Cepa

Postby Allium Cepa » Fri Apr 25, 2008 1:07 am UTC

That sucks, he was really good. I wonder how their going to fit that into the series, Monk is gonna flip out.

HighCharity

Postby HighCharity » Sat Apr 26, 2008 5:12 am UTC

Allium Cepa wrote:That sucks, he was really good. I wonder how their going to fit that into the series, Monk is gonna flip out.

I know, I was sad when I saw that...

HighCharity

Postby HighCharity » Sat Aug 01, 2009 3:02 am UTC

Another necro and a double post, but this next season is going to be the last :O

Xeio
Friends, Faidites, Countrymen

Postby Xeio » Sat Aug 01, 2009 6:16 am UTC

HighCharity wrote:Another necro and a double post, but this next season is going to be the last :O
One hell of a necro.

I like the Monk Tribute though.

une see
Is my girl

Postby une see » Sat Aug 01, 2009 5:05 pm UTC

Hahaha...oh, Shawn and Gus. How you make me laugh! (In that tribute, and otherwise)

I'm sad to hear about Monk ending, but I definitely feel that it's time. They probably could have ended it even earlier, actually...the latest seasons just haven't been as great as the earlier ones, in my opinion. Although Monk is still a very quality show.
T.S. Eliot in "The Waste Land" wrote:APRIL is the cruellest month, breeding
Lilacs out of the dead land, mixing
Memory and desire, stirring
Dull roots with spring rain.

porcupine

Postby porcupine » Sat Aug 22, 2009 4:23 am UTC

I have caught the last two Monk Episodes on hulu, the first is my favorite so far. I can't wait for new episodes, but on the other hand, every single one is one closer to the end. :cry:

eekmeep

Postby eekmeep » Tue Aug 25, 2009 7:45 am UTC

Watched it from the beginning. Love it. Will be very sad to watch it end. Definitely prefer Natalie over Sharona, but Sharona certainly didn't ruin any episodes for me. If they don't find Trudie's killer ... ooohhhh I will be mad.

Lumpy

Postby Lumpy » Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:48 am UTC

"Natalie, what is that? Is is that a UFO?!" "No, Mr. Monk, that's a firefly."

I was like this while trying out a telescope once...

smw543

Postby smw543 » Sat Sep 05, 2009 6:13 am UTC

eekmeep wrote:Watched it from the beginning. Love it. Will be very sad to watch it end. Definitely prefer Natalie over Sharona, but Sharona certainly didn't ruin any episodes for me. If they don't find Trudie's killer ... ooohhhh I will be mad.

One of the promos for the new season had a really short clip (pretty much just someone mentioning Trudy with a somber facial expression) from an episode in which Monk will be doing just that. They'll probably save it for the finale. (And agreed about Natalie > Sharona.)

I'll definitely miss Monk, but it had a good run. Eight seasons is much more than most shows ever get.
Spoiler:
LE4dGOLEM wrote:Now you know the difference between funny and sad.
Ubik wrote:But I'm too fond of the penis to let it go.
gmalivuk wrote:If you didn't want people to 'mis'understand you, then you probably should have tried saying something less stupid.

Skythe

Postby Skythe » Thu Dec 03, 2009 3:13 am UTC

I'm surprised no one has commented that Monk's final episode is this Friday. I really haven't started watching it until they posted it On Demand. The show made me smile when I was having a crappy day. Kudos to you.

modularblues

Postby modularblues » Sat Dec 12, 2009 10:06 pm UTC

The double-eps finale was a nice wrap-up :-) Cheers for the strong showing for eight years -- better than most other police procedural TV series.

Return to “Movies and TV Shows”