Favorite Childhood Films (Merged:Movies that nerds loved)

Rot your brains, then rot our boards

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

PatrickRsGhost

Re: Favorite Childhood Films

Postby PatrickRsGhost » Tue Feb 05, 2008 5:16 pm UTC

marshlight wrote:
Dark Ragnarok wrote:And then there was this big family trip one. It had to do with kermit leg's about to be used for food.

Yeah, that was the Muppet Movie, the first of the Muppet movies in 1979. Not that I saw it until about ten years after, but still. Darn you Doc Hopper!

Which had quite possibly one of the best openings and best intro song for a movie. EVER.
PRG

An important message for you:

marshlight

Postby marshlight » Tue Feb 05, 2008 5:30 pm UTC

That video makes me feel so happy. :) Funny how my favorite childhood films are still amongst my favorites.
Belial wrote:Time to hide in the CAVE OF AWESOME.

Disco_Inferno

Postby Disco_Inferno » Tue Feb 05, 2008 7:21 pm UTC

marshlight wrote:That video makes me feel so happy. :) Funny how my favorite childhood films are still amongst my favorites.

Same here. People are surprized when I say the Muppets when they ask me what my favorite movie is. Then they think back to their childhoods and start to agree with me.
John Travolta can dance, but I can light the dance floor on fire.

The Ethos

Movies that nerds loved as kids.

Postby The Ethos » Sun Mar 02, 2008 7:57 am UTC

Alright, so I took a quick look and didn't see anything that was exactly this.

So I'm curious, what movies do/did nerds (which I always assumme xkcders are) like as kids. For the record: I was born in 84, so that may temper the argument.

I'll post my list if I get ANY responses.

Thanks!

EDIT for clarity: Yeah, so I was vague, people are posting TV shows. I guess the question could be better reworded as "What movies were your 'regulars'. That is, you loved it so much you could watch it anytime. Some people it's a different movie. It's ok to have one like "All Dogs Go to Heaven"

Mine was Ghostbusters. I could recite that movie backwards and forwards. This led to some funny things in school
"I think they're more interested in my epididymus..."
"Egon's so stupid! The word is epidermis!"

No....as I found out...no....it isn't...*chuckle*
Last edited by The Ethos on Sun Mar 02, 2008 3:46 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Thanks, and have a Scientastic day! - Dr. Venture

Azrael001

Re: Movies that nerds loved as kids.

Postby Azrael001 » Sun Mar 02, 2008 8:07 am UTC

I was born in '87. My favorite shows that I can remember off of the top of my head are: Ninja Turtles, Biker Mice from Mars, Street Sharks, Batman the Animated series, Xmen, Power Rangers (to my shame (though only the first season or two, I stopped either because it started becoming dumb, I matured or (more likely) it became uncool)), I watched quite a bit of Home Improvement later and even more recently Third Rock from the Sun. I can't remember many more than that.

TheAmazingRando

Postby TheAmazingRando » Sun Mar 02, 2008 9:25 am UTC

TMNT, Street Sharks, Batman TAS, Animaniacs, Rocko's Modern Life, Aaahh! Real Monsters, Doug, plenty others I can't remember...

Rodan
Any title.

Postby Rodan » Sun Mar 02, 2008 5:54 pm UTC

Rescuers and Rescuers Down Under.
Rescuers was apparently the first movie we ever got on VHS.

Azrael001

Postby Azrael001 » Sun Mar 02, 2008 6:23 pm UTC

Gah! I forgot the Animaniacs, and Pinky and the Brain, and Loony Tunes, and Tiny Tunes. Curse the late night posting.

90% of the movies mentioned I have seen and loved.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Re: Favorite Childhood Films (Merged:Movies that nerds loved)

Postby SecondTalon » Sun Mar 02, 2008 7:35 pm UTC

Whoops.. suppose I should post.

Merged Movies that nerds loved as kids with Favorite Childhood Films. Seemed similar enough to me to warrant going together. If you feel this is in error, please let me know via PM and we'll handle it from there.

Also, I'm astounded I didn't accidentally delete the entire forum merging them together or accidentally smacked it in the middle of the Unpopular Musical Opinions thread...
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby Felstaff » Sun Mar 02, 2008 8:21 pm UTC

Rodan wrote:Rescuers and Rescuers Down Under.
Rescuers was apparently the first movie we ever got on VHS.

Quoted to save me repeating them. Labyrinth was a personal favourite nightmare-inducer of mine, and The (Animated) Legend of Sleepy Hollow. A friend of my brother's brought round Hot Shots: Part Deux on a pirated VHS. I had never felt so thrilled to be a criminal at that point, especially as, being in England, the film wasn't going to be released for a good few months anyway, and I wasn't old enough to see it. Exciting! It was partly in black and white, with a VHS-standard fuzz-line at the bottom. The amateur pirate had recorded it 'live' from another video, so the pre-mercials (that loathed portmanteau) were fast-forwarded, then rewound, then paused, as there was one with what could be described as 'close to a titty shot' and our beloved pirate was desperate to freeze the frame in where it could be seen. Then the idiot fast-forwarded right through the opening few minutes of the film, realised his/her mistake, and then not bothered to rewind more than a few seconds.

Still, I got to quote every line at school for the next few weeks. And that gave me 16 grams of cool.
Away, you scullion! you rampallion! You fustilarian! I'll tickle your catastrophe.

Slice84

Postby Slice84 » Tue Mar 04, 2008 7:25 am UTC

Secret of NiMH which has been mentioned tons before. Also mentioned: My Neighbor Totoro, I saw it as a little kid then forgot about it for years and years until I went on a Miyazaki kick after Princess Mononoke came out. I came across Totoro and was just assailed with childhood memories, one of my all time favorite movies.

And one no one's mentioned: The Brave Little Toaster... Nothing says childhood like anthropomorphized appliances...

Amarantha

Postby Amarantha » Wed Mar 05, 2008 4:36 am UTC

"Given that God is infinite, and that the universe is also infinite, would you like a toasted teacake?"

:P

Various Varieties

Postby Various Varieties » Wed Mar 05, 2008 3:45 pm UTC

Since I joined the forum yesterday I have made a somewhat disproportionate number of posts mentioning The Beatles. I'm now going to add another one, because my favourite film as a child was

Yellow Submarine

Mo0man

Postby Mo0man » Sat Mar 08, 2008 10:46 pm UTC

Azrael001 wrote:I was born in '87. My favorite shows that I can remember off of the top of my head are: Ninja Turtles, Biker Mice from Mars, Street Sharks, Batman the Animated series, Xmen, Power Rangers (to my shame (though only the first season or two, I stopped either because it started becoming dumb, I matured or (more likely) it became uncool)), I watched quite a bit of Home Improvement later and even more recently Third Rock from the Sun. I can't remember many more than that.

Power rangers never stopped being cool. You, good sir, are a stupidhead

edit: Okay, I'd admit it stopped being cool after the rangers were replaced by new rangers after "in space"
causa major dormuc vulnero ut ovis goatee
I'm number 20075. Remember that. It's important

Azrael001

Postby Azrael001 » Sat Mar 08, 2008 11:19 pm UTC

When I said "... or it became uncool" it should have read "... or it became "uncool",".

That is all.

LL Cool J
___ and ___

Postby LL Cool J » Mon Sep 15, 2008 3:08 pm UTC

I can't believe that this only got to two pages! *resurrects*
I've been on a huge nostalgia bender lately, and here is as good a place as any to make a list.

I was born in 1990.
I absolutely adored and was simultaneously traumatised by The Lion King and The Little Mermaid. Toy Story was awesome.
The Brave Little Toaster was another favourite that I only just managed to rediscover (and have spent the last hour watching on youtube). It's still awesome. They don't make singing appliances like that any more.
Also; it's already been said, but The Land Before Time. I watched it about a year ago for the first time in a long time, and boy did I bawl my eyes out.
Also, Milo and Otis. I wrecked that VHS through over-watching.
And The Neverending Story.

Tv shows:
The Little Matchstick Girl. Actually, was this a movie? I'll look it up in a moment. Either way, it had beautiful animation and it was so goddamn sad!
Are You Afraid Of The Dark? Anyone remember that? Loved it.
Johnson and Friends, Babar, a tv show about an invisible monster called something like a 'gruffle', The Raggy Dolls (I've never met anyone else who remembers this show), um, I think that'll probably do for now.

Looking over my list, ten out of the thirteen tv shows and movies I've just listed contained some (if not a significant amount) violence or disaster. I'm pretty convinced that this is not a bad thing. Childrens' shows these days are so wishy-washy.
Rippy wrote:Slogan: "Beauty. Grace. Fluticasone propionate. Inhale twice daily."

Kazuke

Postby Kazuke » Mon Sep 15, 2008 3:40 pm UTC

The Great Mouse Detective and Robin Hood (The one with all the animals)

As for TV shows, I grew up on Power Rangers and Spiderman/Batman/X-Men/Iron Man. Those and the original Sonic the Hedgehog cartoons.

I also remember getting nightmares from Goosebumps a while back.

LL Cool J
___ and ___

Postby LL Cool J » Mon Sep 15, 2008 3:49 pm UTC

Robin Hood! The cartoon version, with the foxes! That was brilliant.

Thought of another one... All Dogs Go To Heaven.
Rippy wrote:Slogan: "Beauty. Grace. Fluticasone propionate. Inhale twice daily."

AngrySquirrel
Hellish Sex Goddess

Postby AngrySquirrel » Mon Sep 15, 2008 4:03 pm UTC

The Neverending Story 1 & 2
(so awesome, I get a bit giddy just thinking about them)

Ladyhawke

The movies they made about the Ewoks.

Pretty much what I can remember at the moment.

Oh, and there was one which I have no idea what was called. Where a boy must save his parents from some evil guy, with the help of some midgets who are very angry. And there is a knight which rides through his closet.And something about a psycho game-show. And there was an evil rock in a microwave at the end. I probably should go ask for it in the "Identify this movie"-thread.
Putting the fist into pacifist.

they/them/theirs

PatrickRsGhost

Postby PatrickRsGhost » Mon Sep 15, 2008 6:38 pm UTC

AngrySquirrel wrote:The Neverending Story 1 & 2
(so awesome, I get a bit giddy just thinking about them)

Gah. The second one never happened. Do you hear me? IT NEVER HAPPENED!!! ONLY THE FIRST ONE EXISTS!

One movie I saw as a child that probably made me as warped as I am was "Pink Floyd The Wall." I think I nearly broke our VHS copy of it, watching it daily. That movie had warped my fragile little mind.
PRG

sugarhyped

Postby sugarhyped » Tue Sep 16, 2008 12:07 am UTC

Does anyone else feel cool because they watched the original power rangers?

and yeah I watched from original till they went to space, although I was less into it when the original cast was replaced. They've went in some weird directions.

i was a big TMNT fan too.

I cannot really think of girly shows that I watched. Sailor Moon was good.
I wanted a signature. I don't know what to put here yet.

Zalzidrax

Postby Zalzidrax » Tue Sep 16, 2008 5:12 am UTC

Well in addition to Land Before Time and numerous others listed here, I have not seen Spaceballs mentioned yet, so I have to give it a thumbs up. Even though I didn't get all the jokes when I first watched it, still hilarious though.

niehaubs

Postby niehaubs » Tue Sep 16, 2008 5:04 pm UTC

Hmm...Labrynth was good, An American Tail was good, I liked The Neverending Story...The Wizard of Oz was seen often, The Sound of Music, because it was on alot and my mom's favorite movie. Sadly I can still sing almost every song from that movie.

Oh crap, I can't think of the title...Flight of the Navigator. I loved that for some reason. I was also a big Karate Kid fan. Wax on indeed!

My aunt rented the Princess Bride one weekend she was staying over to watch us while my parents were out of town and I could not believe I was going to be forced to watch it. I have never been more pleasantly surprised by a movie. You just do not know what to expect from that thing when you are a 13 year old boy.

I saw The Empire Strikes Back as a kid before Star Wars and was instantly hooked.

baker's kilobyte

Postby baker's kilobyte » Tue Sep 16, 2008 8:46 pm UTC

The Sound of Music was (still is?) on tv every year around Christmas time, so I've seen it a lot. :P

But, I was born in 1990, and between my birth and third birthday, I had seen Back to the Future some 400 times. I'm not joking. Okay, maybe exaggerating a little. But my parents tell me I absolutely loved that movie. They used to have it on all the time for me to watch--and then they would amusedly watch me call up the Doc on my Fisher Price phone and hold conversations about... who knows what. I don't remember much of this, but that movie has remained one of my all-time favourites.

It's also one of the few where the sequels didn't majorly suck. :P

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Tue Sep 16, 2008 9:09 pm UTC

Dune.

Sad thing is, I'm not joking. I was 5 or 6 at the time, so I didn't understand that it was fictional and set in the future. For a while, I wouldn't walk on sand for fear of sandworms. Still thought it was fantastic though.
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

Mo0man

Postby Mo0man » Wed Sep 17, 2008 4:14 pm UTC

I watched ALL of the Once Upon a Time in China movies. And loved them. So much. You guys have no idea. Of course, here it's rated R, so I'm not entirely sure if it counts as a "Children's film". I watched all the older Studio Ghibli films and the Pixar ones, however, I still watch them, so again, I'm not sure if they count.
Also, as an interesting point, I watched Power Rangers up to and including the "In Space" series, which was, honestly, the best. I skipped the one where they had random cars though.
causa major dormuc vulnero ut ovis goatee
I'm number 20075. Remember that. It's important

Kazuke

Postby Kazuke » Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:42 pm UTC

Ya know, out of the more recent Power Rangers seasons, I thought Ninja Storm was actually pretty good.

Rowsdower

Postby Rowsdower » Wed Sep 17, 2008 7:43 pm UTC

When I was a little kid, I loved:
Grandpa's Magical Toys
Beauty and the Beast
Cinderella

I don't remember what else, but there must have been some.
Image Save the dragon! Clickie!

axilog14

Postby axilog14 » Thu Sep 18, 2008 4:45 am UTC

Kazuke wrote:Ya know, out of the more recent Power Rangers seasons, I thought Ninja Storm was actually pretty good.

Eerie, that's what I thought too (the season immediately after - Dino Thunder or something - piqued my interest only because it was the first time in years I've seen Tommy, the so-called Jeebus of Power Rangers).

I also second whoever said watching the original is a badge of cool.
"Yes, my life is pathetic. But I still prefer it to the alternative!"

Mighty Jalapeno
Inne Juste 7 Dayes I Wille Make You A Hero!

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Thu Sep 18, 2008 4:47 am UTC

Aliens

Beverly Hills Cop

Transformers: The Movie (the one with Nimoy)

A Christmas Carol (the one with Alistair Sim)

Also, I watched old-school Power Rangers because I had an unbelievable hard-on crush on Trini / Thuy.

dasknocker

Postby dasknocker » Thu Sep 18, 2008 4:02 pm UTC

Lemme, see:
The Plague Dogs. Brave Little Toaster. Bookmaster. All Dogs Go To Heaven. Short Circuit.

Then when I was five I got to see X-Files in theatre. I felt so adult, and it took all my willpower to not curl-up behind my popcorn bag. Of course, once I got out I remember boasting about it at Kindergarten.

Also, at nine I got to see the Men in Black animated series. Which I'm convinced is better than the the two films combined and multiplied by the awesome of Frank the Dog being shook to a techno beat on youtube.

Oddly enough, something in the Rescuers scarred me more than Plague Dogs. Also(x2), I just watched Plague Dogs (Uncut version) recently, and baaaaw'd. ;_;
"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats."

TheMagicalTurtle wrote:I want a President with the courage to stand up to babies and punch them when they need to be punched.

nsmjohn

Postby nsmjohn » Thu Sep 18, 2008 5:01 pm UTC

Movies:
The Last Starfighter
Hackers
Beavis and Butthead Do America
Bedknobs and Broomsticks
The Absent-Minded Professor
Honey, I Shrunk the Kids
Fantasia
Swiss Family Robinson
Ferris Bueller's Day Off

Shows:
Pinky and the Brain
The Andy Griffith Show
Darkwing Duck
Reading Rainbow
Dexter's Laboratory
Gojoe wrote:Well, I would say something here, but it would only make it worse.

Mat

Postby Mat » Thu Sep 18, 2008 5:25 pm UTC

__jess wrote:Are You Afraid Of The Dark? Anyone remember that? Loved it.

Oh god...that was pure nightmare fuel... I remember watching one where people were getting turned into dolls and trapped in a dolls house. :shock: That freaked me out for ages.

I can't think of any nostalgia-movies which haven't been said. I really liked the Secret of NIMH (I'm pretty sure I read the book as well) and I remember watching a lot of other films mentioned here - Feivel goes west, land before time, honey I shrunk the kids, (and also a sequel which was probably pretty awful) and many many disney films...

Mighty Jalapeno
Inne Juste 7 Dayes I Wille Make You A Hero!

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Thu Sep 18, 2008 6:15 pm UTC

The "Are You Afraid Of The Dark" host with the glasses? He's a weatherman on Global BC. He still scares me...

kellsbells
Queen of Cupcakes

Postby kellsbells » Thu Sep 18, 2008 6:19 pm UTC

Mat wrote:

Oh god...that was pure nightmare fuel... I remember watching one where people were getting turned into dolls and trapped in a dolls house. :shock: That freaked me out for ages.

I can't think of any nostalgia-movies which haven't been said. I really liked the Secret of NIMH (I'm pretty sure I read the book as well) and I remember watching a lot of other films mentioned here - Feivel goes west, land before time, honey I shrunk the kids, (and also a sequel which was probably pretty awful) and many many disney films...
Pretty much all of this. The Secret of NIMH was genius. And Are You Afraid Of The Dark was brilliant. My parents wouldn't let me watch it (I got nightmares) but I would still sneak in to watch it with my older sister all the time... and then get nightmares. That Pit-and-the-Pendulum one still gives me the shivers.

Also: The Nightmare Before Christmas. I must have watched that movie at least once a week for years on end when I was much younger. I watched it again last Halloween for the first time in years... And I suddenly realized just exactly HOW CREEPY that movie is. It's interesting what things we find scary when we're younger, and what we find scary when we're older. A lot of what seemed scary then doesn't now, and vice versa.
A good pun is its own reword.
L wrote:A day without kells is a day not worth living.

PatrickRsGhost

Postby PatrickRsGhost » Thu Sep 18, 2008 8:29 pm UTC

kellsbells wrote:
Mat wrote:

And Are You Afraid Of The Dark was brilliant. My parents wouldn't let me watch it (I got nightmares) but I would still sneak in to watch it with my older sister all the time... and then get nightmares. That Pit-and-the-Pendulum one still gives me the shivers.

IIRC, that was the episode where someone was locked in a room, and their worst fears came true. Somehow their fears were bottled and used in a soup served to other people.

A little bit of searching finds that it was "The Tale of the Dangerous Soup", which guest-starred Neve Campbell.
PRG

LL Cool J
___ and ___

Postby LL Cool J » Thu Sep 18, 2008 10:43 pm UTC

PatrickRsGhost wrote:
kellsbells wrote:
Mat wrote:

And Are You Afraid Of The Dark was brilliant. My parents wouldn't let me watch it (I got nightmares) but I would still sneak in to watch it with my older sister all the time... and then get nightmares. That Pit-and-the-Pendulum one still gives me the shivers.

IIRC, that was the episode where someone was locked in a room, and their worst fears came true. Somehow their fears were bottled and used in a soup served to other people.

A little bit of searching finds that it was "The Tale of the Dangerous Soup", which guest-starred Neve Campbell.

The one that terrified me the most was an episode I saw once and never again (weird, given that I watched it obsessively enough to see most everything repeated) where there was a house where things were being written in mirror writing all over the walls, by a girl who was trapped somehow. Scared me shitless. My brother would cry every time the show came on, and refuse to be in the room.

PatrickRsGhost

Postby PatrickRsGhost » Fri Sep 19, 2008 12:16 am UTC

__jess wrote:The one that terrified me the most was an episode I saw once and never again (weird, given that I watched it obsessively enough to see most everything repeated) where there was a house where things were being written in mirror writing all over the walls, by a girl who was trapped somehow. Scared me shitless. My brother would cry every time the show came on, and refuse to be in the room.

I didn't see all of them. The one you described doesn't ring a bell off-hand. I remembered the episode I mentioned after you or someone else talked about the pendulum swinging back and forth. Other episodes I remember include the one with the boy who finds the girl's ring in his locker at the bowling alley, the one with the X-Ray specs (that was the first one I had ever seen), and the one with the typewriter that caused people to dream whatever the kid typed on it.

I didn't watch it on a weekly basis. I mainly watched it whenever I had to stay overnight at my grandma's house, or if I had a friend spend the night with me, if my parents let us watch it. And no, I never had any nightmares from it.
PRG

suffer-cait
Yes, that's my perfectly normal house cat, why do you ask?

Postby suffer-cait » Fri Sep 19, 2008 12:29 am UTC

the last unicorn
selena
labyrinth
la cage aux follies (the original french version)
victor victoria
sound of music
muppets treasure island
mother goose rock-and-rhyme
the rescuers
princess mananoke, my neighbor hood litterally threw a party when it came out in english
ImageImageImageImageImage

headprogrammingczar

Postby headprogrammingczar » Sat Sep 20, 2008 1:58 am UTC

suffer-cait wrote:princess mananoke, my neighbor hood litterally threw a party when it came out in english

Why can't more neighborhoods be like yours?
<quintopia> You're not crazy. you're the goddamn headprogrammingspock!
<Weeks> You're the goddamn headprogrammingspock!
<Cheese> I love you

Return to “Movies and TV Shows”