Cut in their prime

Rot your brains, then rot our boards

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Dream
WINNING

Re: Cut in their prime

Postby Dream » Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:39 pm UTC

smw543 wrote:And then there's Spaced. I don't think it was really cut short. By my understanding, the circumstances around it are typical for British comedies. Quick question from an American to any Limeys: is that normal? There are only a few British comedy shows I've had a chance to get into, and they've always had 6 or 7 episodes per season (or "series"; American show's usually have ~23) and they were aired in nonconsecutive years (ABoFaL had a three year gap between seasons three and four; American shows usually don't "take breaks," the only time they stop is when they go off for good.)

It is quite normal. For the UK a really old (or really long running) series is something that started in black and white. On the radio in black and white. Anything more recent than that they aren't really stopping, just not making any at the moment. Permanent killing only happens when the creatives move on to other things so much so that there is no way for them to return to their earlier work. Read the wiki on Blackadder for a great example. It had a short series, stopped for two years, came back again, became iconic, and died when everyone involved decided they'd done what they could with it. It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if they suddenly decided to make more of it, even twenty years after the last series.

Dr. Who is obviously the perfect example of a series being resurrected after a really long time. Parkinson and University Challenge both stopped for years and came back. Only Fools and Horses did it too, but it was rubbish when it came back. Then there are the non-series based programmes like Morse or Poirot that pop up whenever they like. It's basically par for the course there.
I knew a woman once, but she died soon after.

peace cat

Postby peace cat » Tue Feb 24, 2009 6:15 pm UTC

Freaks and Geeks

Also, I think I may be the only person in the universe who has never seen Firefly.
Nothing to see here.

headprogrammingczar

Postby headprogrammingczar » Tue Feb 24, 2009 6:27 pm UTC

peace cat wrote:Freaks and Geeks

Also, I think I may be the only person in the universe who has never seen Firefly.

Now, don't be silly. There are also the poor people in Cambodia...
<quintopia> You're not crazy. you're the goddamn headprogrammingspock!
<Weeks> You're the goddamn headprogrammingspock!
<Cheese> I love you

Stabable Offense

Postby Stabable Offense » Fri Feb 27, 2009 5:22 am UTC

I just remembered it because it was hulu's awards for shows they think should be brought back.

I loved Journey Man. Not the greatest show of all time but still pretty great and worth a watch.

the_bandersnatch
Actually not so frumious.
Location: on a bed in a room inside a TV in a hotel room in a hotel on a Monopoly board

Postby the_bandersnatch » Thu Mar 12, 2009 2:19 pm UTC

No mention for Space: Above and Beyond yet? For shame, xkcd'ians! For shame! (Ok, fair enough, I'm showing my age with that one, but no more than the Earth2 lovers.)

It was cancelled after the first series, which ended on an amazing cliffhanger and I'll never get to find out what happened now :(
In girum imus nocte, et consumimur igni

cathrl

Postby cathrl » Fri Apr 03, 2009 10:37 am UTC

the_bandersnatch wrote:No mention for Space: Above and Beyond yet? For shame, xkcd'ians! For shame! (Ok, fair enough, I'm showing my age with that one, but no more than the Earth2 lovers.)

It was cancelled after the first series, which ended on an amazing cliffhanger and I'll never get to find out what happened now :(

What, like this, on the previous page?

cathrl wrote:Someone else said Earth II! I'll add Space: Above and Beyond which must have been from about the same time.

the_bandersnatch
Actually not so frumious.
Location: on a bed in a room inside a TV in a hotel room in a hotel on a Monopoly board

Postby the_bandersnatch » Fri Apr 03, 2009 1:26 pm UTC

cathrl wrote:What, like this, on the previous page?

Um... quiet, you!
In girum imus nocte, et consumimur igni

ExpatYankInBritain

Postby ExpatYankInBritain » Sat Apr 04, 2009 10:36 am UTC

I think Eli Stone has been cut in its prime. Although I'm not Christian, I find the idea of lawyer-turned-prophet to be absolutely fascinating! On top of that, the plot line and sub-plots are so entangled and interesting that I can't help but be enthralled.

Return to “Movies and TV Shows”