47%
Gregory House
53%

Total votes: 195

Aradae

Perry Cox or Gregory House?

Postby Aradae » Fri Feb 15, 2008 12:20 pm UTC

Who do you like better?

They're both asses most of the time but to me Dr. Cox has a deeper character. With House he's always the same; he mocks his staff, downs vicodin, rejects others, and walks with a limp.

With Dr. Cox you have a lot more heartfelt and tear-filled moments (and to top it off he's funnier). Ben's funeral rings a bell for one of his most emotional moments and the scene where he punched Dr. Kelso had the amazing aspect of being both touching and outrageously funny.

To me Dr. Cox is the better character.
Guys guys guys! I found Russel's teapot! . . . nevermind, it was just Jesus flying to Mars again.

no-genius
Seemed like a good idea at the time

Re: Perry Cox or Gregory House?

Postby no-genius » Fri Feb 15, 2008 1:04 pm UTC

House. He's funnier!

(Although I did like the one of Scrubs when Dr. Cox was the narrator. That was interesting).
I don't sing, I just shout. All. On. One. Note.
Official ironmen you are free, champions officially

The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:Why? It does nothing to address dance music's core problem: the fact that it sucks.

Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance

Postby Belial » Fri Feb 15, 2008 3:05 pm UTC

Perry Cox, much as I love him, is just a fluffier, friendlier House with the edges filed off.

House wins, by virtue of actually being House.
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.

They/them

davef
NomNomNommin' the Rockenclature!

Postby davef » Fri Feb 15, 2008 3:18 pm UTC

Perry wins by default, because I've never seen House.
Ciúnas, bóthar, cailín, bainne.

Robin S

Postby Robin S » Fri Feb 15, 2008 3:22 pm UTC

I would say the same, but I am going to reserve judgment until I have seen as much House as Scrubs (which could take a while).
This is a placeholder until I think of something more creative to put here.

Gunfingers

Postby Gunfingers » Fri Feb 15, 2008 4:28 pm UTC

Dr Cox. His asshole side is just a watered down House, but he has more to him than that, too. House, on the other hand, is just an asshole.

Mother Superior
Better than tea

Postby Mother Superior » Fri Feb 15, 2008 4:35 pm UTC

Although I do love them both it was House that won out in the end.
My crappy creepy? Crabby? My crabby blog.
"She bore also the fruitless deep with his raging swell, Pontus, without sweet union of love."
- Hesiod, Theogony

The Ethos

Postby The Ethos » Fri Feb 15, 2008 4:43 pm UTC

Dr. Cox is a much more realistic character. I have attendings who are verrrrry similar in character.
To add to the matter, I guess as much as I like House, Scrubs is just a much more realistic medical show.

(For those who might not know, Dr. Cox is closely related to a character in the 70s book "House of God", and early episodes actually have him quoting the book verbatim.)
I also think that the character of House has stagnated a bit. I really deplore this season. The medicine is horrible, and I can't stand the new team. Repetition and switching out the cottages doesn't make House himself more interesting.

/Everything we do here is a stall, newbie. Never a win. Never forget that.
Thanks, and have a Scientastic day! - Dr. Venture

Aleril
Le Rail

Postby Aleril » Fri Feb 15, 2008 4:55 pm UTC

I have always had a place in my heart for the Cox.

You got that Miranda?

Girl™
This is what I think of you.

Postby Girl™ » Fri Feb 15, 2008 5:36 pm UTC

I cannot decide. I think there should be a no-holds-barred deathmatch.
You don't make them touch!

Mother Superior
Better than tea

Postby Mother Superior » Fri Feb 15, 2008 7:05 pm UTC

Heh, for once a poll speaks for itself.
"She bore also the fruitless deep with his raging swell, Pontus, without sweet union of love."
- Hesiod, Theogony

pieaholicx
The cake is a lie!

Postby pieaholicx » Fri Feb 15, 2008 7:09 pm UTC

I would vote, but the poll is currently 50/50. I can't mess that up. My vote (once things have been unevened again) will be for Dr. Cox.
It's okay, I'm Chaotic Neutral. I can kill him over the loot.
Overexposure to pieaholicx may, in semi-rare cases, emancipate dental fillings, crowns, tooth enamel, and teeth.

Amnesiasoft

Postby Amnesiasoft » Fri Feb 15, 2008 9:05 pm UTC

Though I don't watch either of these shows, my vote goes to Cox, since, well, he's got the same last name as me :P

Aleril
Le Rail

Postby Aleril » Fri Feb 15, 2008 10:36 pm UTC

Hot DAMN this is a close one.

Go Cox go!!!

cox.jpg
cox.jpg (11.94 KiB) Viewed 6482 times

Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Postby Jesse » Fri Feb 15, 2008 11:13 pm UTC

House.

Yeah the show is actually formulaic and very crap, but goddamnit it's Hugh Laurie and the man is fucking amazing at being grumpy yet humorous and making my life good.

So yeah, House.

apricity
almost grown-up but not quite

Postby apricity » Sat Feb 16, 2008 1:40 am UTC

Perry by far. Even if I watched House, I'd still say Perry because he's ridiculously messed up and goes on rants and if that's not enough, the presence of Jordan pushes him over the edge.
LE4d wrote:have you considered becoming an electron

it takes just a little practice to learn to be
(she/her/hers)

Aradae

Postby Aradae » Sat Feb 16, 2008 4:05 am UTC

In my opinion most everything Cox says is funnier than everything that house says. Sure, Cox has elaborate rants but most of them are original. House on the other hand recycles his lines over and over again.
Guys guys guys! I found Russel's teapot! . . . nevermind, it was just Jesus flying to Mars again.

Nath

Postby Nath » Sat Feb 16, 2008 8:19 am UTC

The Ethos wrote:To add to the matter, I guess as much as I like House, Scrubs is just a much more realistic medical show.

What.

I...

What.

TheAmazingRando

Postby TheAmazingRando » Sat Feb 16, 2008 8:40 am UTC

House was only really heavily formulaic in the first season, really, I've found that as the show's progressed the episodes have improved tremendously, especially in the third season. Yeah, it's pretty much one episode - one case, but it's a medical drama so I don't have a problem with that, and beyond that similarity the episodes tend to go in very different locations. It falls in to a few cliches from time to time but it's improved tremendously. I also think that, as the show has become more complex, so has the character of House.

I voted for House, but I quite like Dr. Cox too.

Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Postby Jesse » Sat Feb 16, 2008 8:59 am UTC

I've only seen the first season so far, and two episodes of the second. I'll admit that those two episodes have skipped the formula so far.

Mother Superior
Better than tea

Postby Mother Superior » Sat Feb 16, 2008 12:45 pm UTC

Nath wrote:
The Ethos wrote:To add to the matter, I guess as much as I like House, Scrubs is just a much more realistic medical show.

What.

I...

What.

Well it is. Largely because Scrubs have normal medical issues and not extremely complex mysteries every week. House does do a pretty decent job from what I hear but do screw something up pretty much every episode medical-wise.
- Hesiod, Theogony

SomeoneElse

Postby SomeoneElse » Sat Feb 16, 2008 2:49 pm UTC

I wouldn't say that Cox has a particularly deep character, but he sure is funneh. Hugh Laurie is mmmtastic and has an awesome US accent, but McGinley is still more fun to watch.

Master Gunner

Postby Master Gunner » Sat Feb 16, 2008 3:28 pm UTC

Although I have never seen House, from the commercials that I'm forced to watch when I'm trying to watch Scrubs, and from what I've heard of it, Scrubs is by far the more realistic show. For one, simply the stuff I've seen him do in the commercials would probably be enough to get him disbarred from practicing medicine, not to mention that everything that I've heard about his character just makes me want to punch him, and I've not heard of any redeeming qualities about him. Dr. Cox on the other hand is extremely funny, and although he is a grumpy old guy most of the time, he is shown to genuinely care about his patients and co-workers, he just hides it. Plus he was around before House, who is really just Cox with all of the things that make him good and likable stripped out.
From the medicine side of things, as Dr. Cox pointed out in one episode, medical mysteries do not happen, sure you'll get some oddities, some cases that are harder to diagnose, but a full blown medical mystery? Odds are you won't see one in your career, much less however many dozens that House has seen.

So yeah, Cox all the way.

Loupis

Postby Loupis » Sat Feb 16, 2008 4:55 pm UTC

I've got to go with Dr. Cox. Hugh Laurie seems to have to hold back because of the accent. When Cox goes off on a rant, he goes completely off the reservation. House much more of a psychologically antagonistic prick rather than a complete loon.

Aradae

Postby Aradae » Sat Feb 16, 2008 5:37 pm UTC

Nath wrote:

What.

I...

What.

What is the possibility of one doctor getting a one in a million disease to solve at least five times a year?

Why is he exempt from all the standards of procedures just because he's a good doctor?

Since when do doctors break into houses?

The list goes on.

Pirate.Bondage

Postby Pirate.Bondage » Sat Feb 16, 2008 5:43 pm UTC

I like Dr. Cox better, although I love how House is such a sarcastic jerk. <33
Life is beautiful.
Spoiler:
Irrefutable wrote:you are so lovely

emceng wrote:Then the sausage says, "I have 1 kid, and raging genital herpes." Get the fuck away from me sausage!!!

sje46 wrote:Do... do you want to marry me?

une see
Is my girl

Postby une see » Sat Feb 16, 2008 6:03 pm UTC

House really is a very unrealistic show. A hospital would be hard-pressed to see one of those extremely rare cases that House seems to get pretty regularly on the show. But who cares? I still like watching it for the drama, for the laughter...for the House/Wilson pairing everyone secretly knows should be canon.

Anyways, I voted for House. Cox is awesome as well, but I feel like Hugh Laurie put way more work into his character (keeping up that flawless American accent? crazy!), so I voted for him.
T.S. Eliot in "The Waste Land" wrote:APRIL is the cruellest month, breeding
Lilacs out of the dead land, mixing
Memory and desire, stirring
Dull roots with spring rain.

Mighty Jalapeno
Inne Juste 7 Dayes I Wille Make You A Hero!

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Sat Feb 16, 2008 6:31 pm UTC

My "House MD" script from the second season features Perry as a guest star... I can't host a PDF anywhere, so if anyone wants the script, just PM me with an e-mail addie.

Rodan
Any title.

Postby Rodan » Sat Feb 16, 2008 9:29 pm UTC

House, because he's House.

...and Hugh Laurie.

Nath

Postby Nath » Sat Feb 16, 2008 11:32 pm UTC

Well, sure, House is unrealistic. But Scrubs is the sort of show where people spontaneously burst forth into song and dance. The characters are all cartoons. This is fine, as they are interesting cartoons, but I don't think I've ever seen a scene of Scrubs that I could imagine happening in the real world.

Master Gunner

Postby Master Gunner » Sun Feb 17, 2008 12:56 am UTC

So I guess you've never watched the show then?
They only broke into song and dance in one episode, and that one was blatant fan-service, and explained in the context of the episode. Namely, those parts of the episode were from the point of view of a woman suffering from a severe anurism which caused her to perceive communication in song, with the dancing being creative license.

TheAmazingRando

Postby TheAmazingRando » Sun Feb 17, 2008 1:27 am UTC

There have been shorter examples of songs or short dances, and plenty of fantastical sequences dispersed through the show. They're inside JD's head so they don't actually happen, but it's hardly realism.

Besides all that, the medicine in Scrubs may be more realistic but that's because it isn't ever really the focus, so they never need to examine it in detail. It's just the backdrop for the rest of the show.

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Sun Feb 17, 2008 2:30 am UTC

Aradae wrote:Who do you like better?

They're both asses most of the time but to me Dr. Cox has a deeper character. With House he's always the same; he mocks his staff, downs vicodin, rejects others, and walks with a limp.

With Dr. Cox you have a lot more heartfelt and tear-filled moments (and to top it off he's funnier). Ben's funeral rings a bell for one of his most emotional moments and the scene where he punched Dr. Kelso had the amazing aspect of being both touching and outrageously funny.

Ahh I have to say you're wrong.. I think Dr. Cox's character is fairly shallow while House is more unique and deep.

Dr. Cox is the CLASSICAL cliché sarcastic/cynical joker who is like that because he is really sad and lonely.

House is one of the first characters I've seen on TV who is a sarcastic/cynical asshole who ISN'T lonely or sad, there is some other underlying reason that hasn't been revealed yet. And some certain people sometimes push a button that makes you think about why House is like he is.

I like to think he is who he is because he just IS that way. Why does every asshole, serious or sarcastic character have to be sad and lonely?

Edit: Also I disagree that Cox is a more realistic character. Serious/Cold/Sacastic etc. people in real life OFTEN AREN'T SAD AND LONELY. Most TV shows just add that in to make a character "interesting" - I just think it makes them stupid.
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
"Do you think games are silly little things?"
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
"Do you admit there is no meaning to this world?"
- > No

Nath

Postby Nath » Sun Feb 17, 2008 2:46 am UTC

Master Gunner wrote:So I guess you've never watched the show then?
They only broke into song and dance in one episode, and that one was blatant fan-service, and explained in the context of the episode. Namely, those parts of the episode were from the point of view of a woman suffering from a severe anurism which caused her to perceive communication in song, with the dancing being creative license.

No, I've seen a few episodes. True, they didn't actually have a prolonged song and dance sequence in any of them, but it struck me as the sort of show where that sort of thing could happen. You know, what with people acting all cartooney and everything.

Swordfish
Weathermaaaaaaan!

Postby Swordfish » Sun Feb 17, 2008 7:33 am UTC

Anyone see that episode of Scrubs where Dr. Cox broke his foot and was walking around with a cane (shortly after being likened to "Dr. House without the limp" if I recall correctly)? I thought it was pretty good.
"If I had a nickel for every time I was wrong, I'd be broke." Stephen Colbert

Mother Superior
Better than tea

Postby Mother Superior » Sun Feb 17, 2008 9:15 am UTC

Gelsamel wrote:
Aradae wrote:Who do you like better?

Ahh I have to say you're wrong.. I think Dr. Cox's character is fairly shallow while House is more unique and deep.

Dr. Cox is the CLASSICAL cliché sarcastic/cynical joker who is like that because he is really sad and lonely.

House is one of the first characters I've seen on TV who is a sarcastic/cynical asshole who ISN'T lonely or sad, there is some other underlying reason that hasn't been revealed yet. And some certain people sometimes push a button that makes you think about why House is like he is.

I like to think he is who he is because he just IS that way. Why does every asshole, serious or sarcastic character have to be sad and lonely?

Edit: Also I disagree that Cox is a more realistic character. Serious/Cold/Sacastic etc. people in real life OFTEN AREN'T SAD AND LONELY. Most TV shows just add that in to make a character "interesting" - I just think it makes them stupid.

Very well said. I wanted to write something similar but couldn't get it down quite as eloquently as you.
- Hesiod, Theogony

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Sun Feb 17, 2008 9:29 am UTC

I'm glad someone agrees (often I rest alone in my opinion).

But that was hardly eloquent... I suck at putting my thoughts down into text.
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
- > No

Mother Superior
Better than tea

Postby Mother Superior » Sun Feb 17, 2008 9:35 am UTC

Gelsamel wrote:I'm glad someone agrees (often I rest alone in my opinion).

"Coherent" then :P
- Hesiod, Theogony

Nath

Postby Nath » Sun Feb 17, 2008 9:55 am UTC

Master Gunner wrote:From the medicine side of things, as Dr. Cox pointed out in one episode, medical mysteries do not happen, sure you'll get some oddities, some cases that are harder to diagnose, but a full blown medical mystery? Odds are you won't see one in your career, much less however many dozens that House has seen.

I disagree. Medical mysteries happen all the time. Hell, I have a couple right now. The vast majority are never solved, though. Most of the time they go away of their own accord; sometimes they stick around harmlessly for a few years; sometimes they kill somebody.

Doctors often don't know what they're doing. That isn't a slight against the medical profession; they are trying to solve an absurdly hard problem. A lot of medical 'conditions' are just labels for certain sets of symptoms, and don't really tell you what's causing them. In such situations, it's often enough for doctors to treat the symptoms and wait for the underlying problem to solve itself. Of course, that wouldn't make a very interesting TV show, which is why the good ones tend to exaggerate either the doctors or the medicine.

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Sun Feb 17, 2008 10:03 am UTC

Mother Superior wrote:
Gelsamel wrote:I'm glad someone agrees (often I rest alone in my opinion).

"Coherent" then :P

That is what I strive for in my posts. xD
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
- > No