Courage, Wisdom, and Power

Rot your brains, then rot our boards

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

aleflamedyud
wants your cookies

Courage, Wisdom, and Power

Postby aleflamedyud » Tue Apr 01, 2008 4:39 pm UTC

And so, the greatest movie trailer ever released on April Fool's day.

Though I don't see why they needed to give the Ordonians Scottish accents. It looks based on a combination of Twilight Princess with Ocarina of Time.
"With kindness comes naïveté. Courage becomes foolhardiness. And dedication has no reward. If you can't accept any of that, you are not fit to be a graduate student."

Mo0man

Re: Courage, Wisdom, and Power

Postby Mo0man » Wed Apr 02, 2008 1:43 am UTC

TP style, with OT Story.

and, for the record, when the trailer started up, with landscapes and awesome soundtrack, I got chills down my spine.
Then the people showed up. And started talking. I died a little inside
causa major dormuc vulnero ut ovis goatee
I'm number 20075. Remember that. It's important

aleflamedyud
wants your cookies

Postby aleflamedyud » Wed Apr 02, 2008 2:07 pm UTC

Honestly if they just used Wii-grade TP graphics and added some voice acting they could make a great film. There's no real need for live-action in Zelda.
"With kindness comes naïveté. Courage becomes foolhardiness. And dedication has no reward. If you can't accept any of that, you are not fit to be a graduate student."

ishikiri

Postby ishikiri » Sun Apr 06, 2008 4:38 am UTC

WTF no kokori!

Looks a little made for tv, or like there should should be "dungeons and dragons" in the title.
clintonius wrote:The "thwak thwak thwak" in this movie makes me think they cranked up a powerpoint slideshow of angry pictures set to the soundtrack of a furious masturbator.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Sun Apr 06, 2008 5:16 am UTC

Well, considering it was thrown together for a joke, I think they did a good job.

Gannondorf looks a bit silly, but.. he's always looked silly.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

BurntCornMuffin

Postby BurntCornMuffin » Sun Apr 06, 2008 5:54 am UTC

SecondTalon wrote:Gannondorf looks a bit silly, but.. he's always looked silly.

I know exactly what you mean!

Spoiler:
My first time watching the end of TP, the portion where link stabs him on the ground and he starts screaming with his mouth all wide open, all I could think was "man...his mouth is HUGE!"

Hmm...someone playing this might not want to know about Ganondorf's huge mouth at the end...*spoiler'd*

asanisimasa

Postby asanisimasa » Sun Apr 06, 2008 7:26 am UTC

SecondTalon wrote:Gannondorf looks a bit silly, but.. he's always looked silly.

Last edited by asanisimasa on Wed Apr 23, 2008 5:22 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love." - Carl Sagan

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Mon Apr 07, 2008 12:06 am UTC

... you know, I was wondering why I was thinking of the Wizard of Oz... couldn't figure out the connection, but that clears it right up. Thanks.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Random1377

Postby Random1377 » Wed Apr 09, 2008 10:07 am UTC

I can see it now... What a musical number that would be..

"If I were the King of Kokiri Forrrrrrrrest~!"

Win.
This is a signature. I think.

Narsil
Ask me about my junk!

Postby Narsil » Wed Apr 23, 2008 1:40 am UTC

It seems like they must have sunk a damn lot of money into that for it to be a joke.

That's a bit depressing.
Spoiler:
EsotericWombat wrote:MORE JUNK THAN YOUR BODY HAS ROOM FOR

Mother Superior wrote:What's he got that I dont?
*sees Narsil's sig*
Oh... that.

theamberkey

Postby theamberkey » Wed Apr 23, 2008 2:52 pm UTC

Narsil wrote:It seems like they must have sunk a damn lot of money into that for it to be an awesome joke.

Fix'd.

I mean, if you're going to be IGN, the least you could contribute to the world is bad, fake trailers of movies I would totally go see because they were bad.
A silver spoon and a packet of sugar cubes are the artifacts of the ritual: the vajrakaliya, the cross, the blood of the lamb....
-The Amber Key

Ensehderwie

Postby Ensehderwie » Thu Apr 24, 2008 3:04 am UTC

That's awesome. They did everything right. Made it look like it would just real enough for folks to get excited, and mess up the story enough to where some of those people would go "Wtf! They're doin' it wrong!"

Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance

Postby Belial » Thu Apr 24, 2008 2:56 pm UTC

Well, mess up which story, though? It's not like there haven't been a hundred incarnations of the hero of time, along two split timelines...
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.

They/them

Aleril
Le Rail

Postby Aleril » Thu Apr 24, 2008 3:33 pm UTC

Belial wrote:Well, mess up which story, though? It's not like there haven't been a hundred incarnations of the hero of time, along two split timelines...

Don't forget the massive amounts of fanfictions.

theamberkey

Postby theamberkey » Thu Apr 24, 2008 6:10 pm UTC

Aleril wrote:Don't forget the massive amounts of fanfictions.

Which are of course totally canon.
A silver spoon and a packet of sugar cubes are the artifacts of the ritual: the vajrakaliya, the cross, the blood of the lamb....
-The Amber Key

mosc
Doesn't care what you think.

Postby mosc » Thu Apr 24, 2008 9:54 pm UTC

the concept of canon itself has always amused me to no end as one of the most ironic things in the known universe.
Title: It was given by the XKCD moderators to me because they didn't care what I thought (I made some rantings, etc). I care what YOU think, the joke is forums.xkcd doesn't care what I think.

theamberkey

Postby theamberkey » Fri Apr 25, 2008 1:56 pm UTC

Personally, I think cannons are the most ironic thing in the universe. I mean, you have this big honkin' metal tube, but then when you put charge and shot into it and light a wick it can kill people!

Er, instead of the sarcasm I should have just asked what's inherently ironic about the concept of canon? It seems pretty straightforward to me.
-The Amber Key

mosc

Postby mosc » Fri Apr 25, 2008 4:01 pm UTC

It's fiction. The entire universe can be re-written in a few words. Anything defined in one set of words (or a book or WHATEVER) is inherently changed by ANY other set of words (or a book or WHATEVER). The concept that some fiction is inherently superior and thus canon to other fiction is Ironic. It's all fiction, it's all false. It's made to be broken. It exists in an impossible sense. It creates this sense of "true" fiction (canon) and "false" fiction (non-canon) which, I think clearly points out the irony.

I'm not saying canon is meaningless, I'm saying the concept itself is Ironic.
Title: It was given by the XKCD moderators to me because they didn't care what I thought (I made some rantings, etc). I care what YOU think, the joke is forums.xkcd doesn't care what I think.

theamberkey

Postby theamberkey » Fri Apr 25, 2008 5:02 pm UTC

The irony isn't apparent to me, but then my grasp of irony has always been sub-par, so I'll accept that it might be to others.

In any case, I understand where you're coming from, but disagree with some of your assumptions which I won't bother to get into because honestly I'm really not trying to react negatively to a comment made in good fun, so apologies. (I kind of switched my train of thought in the middle of that sentence. :) )

I'm even beginning to laugh at the concept myself, for no other reason than that I was starting to think in terms of SERIOUS BUSINESS, and that's always a sign I need to laugh at something.
-The Amber Key

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Fri Apr 25, 2008 5:18 pm UTC

mosc wrote:It's fiction. The entire universe can be re-written in a few words. Anything defined in one set of words (or a book or WHATEVER) is inherently changed by ANY other set of words (or a book or WHATEVER). The concept that some fiction is inherently superior and thus canon to other fiction is Ironic. It's all fiction, it's all false. It's made to be broken. It exists in an impossible sense. It creates this sense of "true" fiction (canon) and "false" fiction (non-canon) which, I think clearly points out the irony.

I'm not saying canon is meaningless, I'm saying the concept itself is Ironic.

I wouldn't say so.. it establishes boundaries and characteristics of a thing that doesn't exist, making it believable and real. It's believable to have a story in which the characters are capable of transmuting water into gold or create weaponry from nothing if they're presented as if that is possible and common (or at least known) in said fictional world.

Non-canon in it's most extreme tends to be wherein a character from a spy novel suddenly and nonsensically develops psychic powers or suddenly can fly. Or when a character who's been shown to be BabyKickin' and PuppyRapin' evil suddenly and without reason becomes a pious individual.

In other examples, invalidating what was canon before and replacing it with a new version can be used to either improve upon previous works (See: The evolution of the story behind the Ultima series of games) or correct earlier mistakes.

I don't see how any of that falls under the definition of irony.

mosc

Postby mosc » Fri Apr 25, 2008 5:19 pm UTC

eh, maybe I should have just said "true lies" or something and made an Arnold joke.

Return to “Movies and TV Shows”