Family Guy

Rot your brains, then rot our boards

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Pirate.Bondage

Family Guy

Postby Pirate.Bondage » Tue Apr 08, 2008 6:31 pm UTC

I searched and didn't find any topics on this show...sorry if I missed one or something.

Anyways, who else loves this show?
Life is beautiful.
Spoiler:
Irrefutable wrote:you are so lovely

emceng wrote:Then the sausage says, "I have 1 kid, and raging genital herpes." Get the fuck away from me sausage!!!

sje46 wrote:Do... do you want to marry me?

nevskey1

Re: Family Guy

Postby nevskey1 » Wed Apr 09, 2008 3:16 am UTC

Not me. I've long been in the bitter elite of Family Guy haters. I can go on about it, but I couldn't explain my dislike of the show better than South Park already has (which, as it happens, is a show I can take or leave (too moralistic)). Drawn Together is a much better version of what Family Guy tries to do but fails, IMHO.
"Personally, I'd never want to be a member of any group where you either have to wear a hat or you can't wear a hat." --George Carlin.

Sir_Elderberry

Postby Sir_Elderberry » Wed Apr 09, 2008 3:20 am UTC

Meh, I'm very neutral on Family Guy. Sometimes, I'll see an episode and it'll be kind of funny. Other times, not at all. I'll stick with Futurama.
http://www.geekyhumanist.blogspot.com -- Science and the Concerned Voter
Belial wrote:You are the coolest guy that ever cooled.

I reiterate. Coolest. Guy.

Well. You heard him.

nevskey1

Postby nevskey1 » Wed Apr 09, 2008 3:26 am UTC

A plan for the win.
"Personally, I'd never want to be a member of any group where you either have to wear a hat or you can't wear a hat." --George Carlin.

Dobblesworth
Dobblesworth, here's the title you requested over three years ago. -Banana

Postby Dobblesworth » Wed Apr 09, 2008 11:37 am UTC

I watch Family Guy with that same level of interest as Simpsons, Futurama, Malcolm in the Middle, American Dad and other US modern family/animated sitcoms. Having not seen too much of Family Guy, I would tend to sit down to watch a full episode. I'm no fan, but it's a decent show, unique in it's own way.

Q: In the opening credits, does it go:
"... all the things that make us"
Stewie: "laugh and cry!"
or is it "f-in' cry!" as I have had this discussion once to no conclusion.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Wed Apr 09, 2008 12:18 pm UTC

laugh and cry.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Endless Mike

Postby Endless Mike » Wed Apr 09, 2008 4:38 pm UTC

I liked it before it was cancelled. It's been awful since it came back.

Mighty Jalapeno
Inne Juste 7 Dayes I Wille Make You A Hero!

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Wed Apr 09, 2008 4:40 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:laugh and cry.

It was actually ambiguously made that way in the first two seasons, with "laugh and cry" cut with "effin' cry", but too many people 'complained' and they had to make it much more clearly enunciated starting in the third season.

Also, wow... that's'-a spicy Wiki!

zenten

Postby zenten » Wed Apr 09, 2008 4:48 pm UTC

I like it. Not enough to go out of my way to watch it though.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Wed Apr 09, 2008 8:02 pm UTC

Mighty Jalapeno wrote:
SecondTalon wrote:laugh and cry.

It was actually ambiguously made that way in the first two seasons, with "laugh and cry" cut with "effin' cry", but too many people 'complained' and they had to make it much more clearly enunciated starting in the third season.

I never heard it as "F'n cry" until someone said something along the lines of "I can't believe Stewie practically curses in the opening song!"

Which lead to a series of "lol wut?" style questions.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Master Gunner

Postby Master Gunner » Wed Apr 09, 2008 8:51 pm UTC

I find Family Guy sorta eh. Some episodes are fairly good, others not so much. I watch most of them, and if I like them fine, if not, only half an hour.

Ensehderwie

Postby Ensehderwie » Thu Apr 10, 2008 1:13 am UTC

Family Guy isn't that bad. I mean, the humor is pretty off-the-wall, no matter how annoying the template can get. I think that it is clever and risque, but it doesn't try to push any envelope. It just gets a bit much after a long sitting.

The worst thing about Family Guy is wondering how long Seth MacFarlane has to sit in the recording studio and do all of those voices.

Skateside
Location: I'm not here, I'm somewhere else, and I'm not coming back

Postby Skateside » Thu Apr 10, 2008 3:35 pm UTC

I don't mind Family Guy. I'll watch it if it's on, but I won't organise my day around it.

I agree that it's gone downhill since its return. It bugs me how most of the newer episodes seem to be nothing more than a series of random scenes thrown together with a thin plot. The way the voice actors completely change tone before a random flash-back or parody comes on, it really seems like the creators sit around all day and put together those bits and the epidoes are just a medium to get them on the air.

Having said that, I often find the episodes funny
Skateside:
Spoiler:
Mercurius wrote: = internet forum hero
studyinserendipity wrote: - impressive!!
krynd wrote:: awesome
d3c31t wrote:... you are amazing
Daria wrote:Shall I attempt further heights of ego-enflation?

Mighty Jalapeno
Inne Juste 7 Dayes I Wille Make You A Hero!

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Thu Apr 10, 2008 3:47 pm UTC

Skateside wrote:I don't mind Family Guy. I'll watch it if it's on, but I won't organise my day around it.

I agree that it's gone downhill since its return. It bugs me how most of the newer episodes seem to be nothing more than a series of random scenes thrown together with a thin plot.

Family Guy is also mocked in a two-part episode of South Park,[13] in which characters call the show's jokes interchangeable and unrelated to storylines; the writers of Family Guy are portrayed as manatees who write by pushing rubber "idea balls" inscribed with random topics into a bin. Seth MacFarlane responded to the criticism on the Volume 4 box set DVD commentary, saying it was completely founded and true, even giving reference to many skits and jokes that were meant for previously scripted episodes and later cut and recycled in future episodes.

That's like saying "It bugs me how Star Trek is set in space..."

segmentation fault

Postby segmentation fault » Thu Apr 10, 2008 5:18 pm UTC

ok, after watching an episode of family guy last night i really have to ask:

what the FUCK is ontological empiricism?
people are like LDL cholesterol for the internet

cephalopod9

Postby cephalopod9 » Sun Apr 13, 2008 3:09 am UTC

Philosophical understanding based on things you can physically perceive. Ask wikipedia.

Is Family Guy actually funny? The commercials for it look like it could be funny, but the jokes are so drawn out and slowed down, the humor is lost. I've only seen one or two episodes tho', so maybe I just haven't seen a good one. It also doesn't seem to do much with the animation.

marcas

Postby marcas » Sun Apr 13, 2008 4:14 am UTC

Had access to the first three seasons on video and definitely enjoyed the show. I preferred the first season and the third season after that. I should note that the first two seasons are the same length on video over here so some earlier series two episodes got moved to season one since that affects how I liked them.

Agree with Jalapeno on their point. Family Guy can effectively be seen as a sketch show and that makes it great if there's a group in the room since you need little or no context for the jokes and can start watching an episode at any point and find it funny.

For newer episodes, haven't seen much but found the jokes not as good so far. Got series five yesterday as a present so will check it out more. They're said to be more risqué but I don't care much for that. It's not that I'm easily offended, it's just that everything has been done in that department on this side of the Atlantic.

Stief

Postby Stief » Sun Apr 13, 2008 1:20 pm UTC

I like family guy...especially scenes with Adam West in them :D
bbctol wrote:There is a term for what you have created. I believe it is "Dude- that shit is EPIC."

Teknobo wrote:Seriously, try flying down the street in Need for Speed while listening to the bicycle theme from Pokémon. It's beyond fantastic.

Skateside
Location: I'm not here, I'm somewhere else, and I'm not coming back

Postby Skateside » Mon Apr 14, 2008 12:58 pm UTC

Mighty Jalapeno wrote:
Skateside wrote:I don't mind Family Guy. I'll watch it if it's on, but I won't organise my day around it.

I agree that it's gone downhill since its return. It bugs me how most of the newer episodes seem to be nothing more than a series of random scenes thrown together with a thin plot.

Family Guy is also mocked in a two-part episode of South Park,[13] in which characters call the show's jokes interchangeable and unrelated to storylines; the writers of Family Guy are portrayed as manatees who write by pushing rubber "idea balls" inscribed with random topics into a bin. Seth MacFarlane responded to the criticism on the Volume 4 box set DVD commentary, saying it was completely founded and true, even giving reference to many skits and jokes that were meant for previously scripted episodes and later cut and recycled in future episodes.

That's like saying "It bugs me how Star Trek is set in space..."

I meant that it just feels to me like the first things Seth and Co. make are the random segments and then try and put as many as they can into each show, as if the plot itself is a secondary thought.

...besides... I like Star Trek...
Skateside:
Spoiler:
Mercurius wrote: = internet forum hero
studyinserendipity wrote: - impressive!!
krynd wrote:: awesome
d3c31t wrote:... you are amazing
Daria wrote:Shall I attempt further heights of ego-enflation?

DarkKnightJared

Postby DarkKnightJared » Mon Apr 14, 2008 2:21 pm UTC

I don't go out of my way to watch it, but if it's on I'll watch and usually laugh.

Yesterday's episode was pretty good--espicially Stewie's reaction to 2girls1cup and Peter as James Woods pitching "September Ele-FUN!" :lol:

The Hyphenator

Postby The Hyphenator » Mon Apr 28, 2008 9:44 pm UTC

The Wiki wrote:The Council has frequently noted that the series was among the most popular shows among children aged 2 to 17

:shock: :shock: :shock:

Um.
The image link changes whenever I find a new cool website.
Spoiler:

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Tue Apr 29, 2008 9:34 pm UTC

Can't stop bad parenting, no no no.

zomgmouse

Postby zomgmouse » Sun Nov 16, 2008 4:01 am UTC

Family Guy is one of those shows that is awesome for a while, but gets frustratingly repetitive after two episodes. Which means it's good that they come out weekly, and that they make three-month breaks once in a while. The episodes tend to be either completely ordinary or absolutely hilarious, with no real pattern to that.
"Alf Todd," said Ukridge, soaring to an impressive burst of imagery, "has about as much chance as a one-armed blind man in a dark room trying to shove a pound of melted butter into a wild cat's left ear with a red-hot needle." P.G. Wodehouse

charliepanayi

Postby charliepanayi » Sun Nov 16, 2008 1:46 pm UTC

Family Guy can be funny on occasion, but it's riddled with irritating aspects that drive me mad:

- The random cutaway gags. South Park hit the nail right on the head when they mocked this on their episode Cartoon Wars
- Jokes being drawn out for far too long so they cease to be funny and just get boring
- The constant abuse that's heaped on Meg Griffin in the show. I have no idea why I find this so annoying (especially when other shows have characters who often suffer - like Butters in South Park) but it just gets nasty after a while.

It was a lot better in its early series before these elements took over.
"Excuse me Miss, do you like pineapple?"

"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work, I want to achieve it through not dying"

Intercept

Postby Intercept » Sun Nov 16, 2008 10:28 pm UTC

See, I actually disliked the first part of the series because it was more similar to a normal sitcom and felt preachy at times, though I like South Park.

Also, they've mocked the cutaway thing in an episode before. There's a completely unrelated cutaway, and then near the end Peter comes back and makes it relevant, and says something like, "See, we were going somewhere with that."
"I've always supported pudding, even when it was politically unpopular to do so."-Bill Nye Video

Jack Saladin
X is kiss

Postby Jack Saladin » Mon Nov 17, 2008 2:57 am UTC

- The random cutaway gags. South Park hit the nail right on the head when they mocked this on their episode Cartoon Wars
- Jokes being drawn out for far too long so they cease to be funny and just get boring
- The constant abuse that's heaped on Meg Griffin in the show. I have no idea why I find this so annoying (especially when other shows have characters who often suffer - like Butters in South Park) but it just gets nasty after a while.

If I had to name the three things I love about Family Guy I love most, it would be those three things. I'm serious.

Clumpy

Postby Clumpy » Mon Nov 17, 2008 8:05 am UTC

I watched the first four or so seasons and then realized I was just doing it by habit at that point and not because I enjoyed it. I think they made just about every possible joke anyway, so I'm probably not missing much by not watching new episodes. Hey - nothing personal against Family Guy; most shows are like that.

Gojoe

Postby Gojoe » Mon Nov 17, 2008 8:22 am UTC

Jack Saladin wrote:

If I had to name the three things I love about Family Guy I love most, it would be those three things. I'm serious.
I totally agree with you. I love the cutaways, I love the fact that they go far beyond it should be funny, and I love the hate for meg.
michaelandjimi wrote:Oh Mr Gojoe
I won't make fun of your mojo.
Though in this fora I serenade you
I really only do it to aid you.
*Various positive comments on your masculinity
That continue on into infinity*

Feeble accompanying guitar.

Megatriorchis

Postby Megatriorchis » Mon Nov 17, 2008 8:42 am UTC

charliepanayi wrote:- The random cutaway gags. South Park hit the nail right on the head when they mocked this on their episode Cartoon Wars

These both kind of irk me. And the fact that the cutaway gags last too long sometimes. Some of them can be funny, but they get annoying.

I can honestly laugh at each Family Guy episode just a couple of times, unless the joke is actually really funny. But that hardly ever happens. I think that's the main problem I have with the show. The episodes just get boring and repetitive after seeing them once or twice.
The Humanity for the Undead Coalition: Bringing Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness to the Undead and Other Supernatural Humanoids. Zombies don't eat people; people eat people!

Kazuke

Postby Kazuke » Mon Nov 17, 2008 1:55 pm UTC

I like Family Guy, but I used to like it a lot more. I usually just have it on in the background while drawing or something.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Mon Nov 17, 2008 6:08 pm UTC

The hate on Meg makes sense, in the context of a sitcom.

Within the context of the show, from a complete outside observer, Meg is not unattractive. Neutral, swinging towards attractive if you're in to the glasses/hat look that she has. But within the show.. everyone regards her as either simply ugly and worthless to repulsive to the point of setting yourself on fire and leaping out a window to escape. It's a mockery of the sitcoms that have a notstunning supermodelish teenager in the cast who's insecure about her looks and reassured by her family that she's beautiful on the inside (regardless of the fact that the actress playing her, while not a swimsuit model is still pretty good looking)... which in and of itself was highlighted by the show where Meg was replaced for the reality show - in that they had someone who was supposed to be a stunning supermodelish young adult play Meg's part, lamenting her poor looks and figure.

Basically - your average sitcom takes a girl who's above average in her physical appearance and portrays her as an ugly duckling that is reassured of her beauty and natural talent in X.
Family guy takes the same girl who's above average in her physical appearance and portrays her as an ugly ducking and has everyone run with it, constantly blasting her for her every action. It's highlighting the absurdity of the standard by taking it to an extreme, one in which it's not the kids at school who mock her, but complete strangers and even her own family.

Clumpy

Postby Clumpy » Mon Nov 17, 2008 6:14 pm UTC

That's quite astute, Talon.

It's not really the fact that we couldn't think of these little things you bring out of nowhere, but the fact that you tend to reference things we've never bothered to think about (Somebody Else's Problem Fields, I guess) and that they come so easily and freely. See, I'm the kind of guy who's likely to drive to the wrong location in a town I often visit just because it's where I usually go.

kinigget

Postby kinigget » Mon Nov 17, 2008 10:19 pm UTC

I used to watch it with some regularity. not anymore, it wasn't even a conscious decision, I just . . .stopped watching it.

in retrospect, the only reason you should watch it is for the really awesome sight gags that far too infrequently. my favorite being when stewie and brian are in a plane, look out the window and notice that the world actually does look like a map.
The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:I can tell from his word choice that he is using his penis to type.

Steax wrote:I think the courts are kinda busy right now. Something about cake and due process.

Matsi

Postby Matsi » Tue Nov 18, 2008 1:15 am UTC

I just tried watching an episode. It's just not funny. I can see how it can appeal to some people, and I probably loath those people too.

JayDee

Postby JayDee » Tue Nov 18, 2008 7:30 am UTC

SecondTalon wrote:The hate on Meg makes sense, in the context of a sitcom. [...]
Aaah. I knew there had to be something going on like that, but I had no idea what.

I love the show. It's machine gun comedy that hits the target often enough to be worth my time. Plus, Mayor Adam West.
The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:I believe that everything can and must be joked about.
Hawknc wrote:I like to think that he hasn't left, he's just finally completed his foe list.

22/7
I'm pretty sure I have "The Slavery In My Asshole" on DVD.

Postby 22/7 » Tue Nov 18, 2008 3:07 pm UTC

Matsi wrote:I just tried watching an episode. It's just not funny. I can see how it can appeal to some people, and I probably loath those people too.
You might want to grab a parachute...
Jack Saladin wrote:
I agree with this pretty strongly. I also find comments calling Family Guy preachy while liking South Park quite hilarious.
Totally not a hypothetical...

Steroid wrote:
bigglesworth wrote:If your economic reality is a choice, then why are you not as rich as Bill Gates?
Don't want to be.
I want to be!

Kazuke

Postby Kazuke » Tue Nov 18, 2008 6:13 pm UTC

Last night's episode when they were all singing in the car actually made me fall out of my chair laughing.

rustedneurons

Postby rustedneurons » Thu Nov 20, 2008 4:17 am UTC

I don't understand what's funny about Peter tripping over and clutching his knee for a least a minute.

apricity
almost grown-up but not quite

Postby apricity » Thu Nov 20, 2008 6:49 am UTC

I think I like this show because I love metahumor. I own the first 4 seasons, but only because they were presents... I'd never buy them myself because the gags get old fast. But I watch the show just for the one or two really genuinely funny jokes that they come up with, mostly the ones that completely violate your expectations for a cartoon. Especially when they point out things and make connections that people in real life would just ignore, but they're always the kinds of things I'd notice. I'm loving the running gag that Stewie keeps pronouncing things weird, like emphasizing the h on "Cool Whip."
LE4d wrote:have you considered becoming an electron

it takes just a little practice to learn to be
(she/her/hers)

Dream
WINNING

Postby Dream » Thu Nov 20, 2008 9:03 am UTC

rustedneurons wrote:I don't understand what's funny about Peter tripping over and clutching his knee for a least a minute.

Timing, and the fact that the joke is half on the viewer. Meta-humour, as lanicita said. How long will you laugh at this for? And what if we just started it again at random later in the episode? I consider that quite out of the ordinary for a mainstream sitcom, and for that reason i think it's one of the defining Family Guy jokes ever. Although if it stays crap as long as the Simpsons has, I'll have to change that over to something unfunny and bad...
I knew a woman once, but she died soon after.

Return to “Movies and TV Shows”