30 Rack

Rot your brains, then rot our boards

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

btarlinian

30 Rack

Postby btarlinian » Sat Apr 12, 2008 3:14 am UTC

So I've searched a couple times now, and am rather surprised that there isn't a 30 Rock thread. So what do you all think about it? There was a new episode last night, which, while probably one of their worst episodes ever (discounting the first couple), was still funny. The show as a whole, however, is in my opinion, the best comedy on TV since Seinfeld.

So, what are all your thoughts?

Bruce

Re: 30 Rock

Postby Bruce » Sat Apr 12, 2008 4:25 am UTC

btarlinian wrote:... best comedy on TV since Seinfeld.

This says it all to me. Very rarely can an American sitcom not make me want to puke after 5 seconds. Seinfeld is no exception. 30 Rock however is quite watchable. I would not go raving about it, but if it was on I would not hurry to the power button on the TV, like most such shows.

If you really think there there has not been anything better since Seinfeld you are watching the wrong shows.
COMFORT, n.
A state of mind produced by contemplation of a neighbor's uneasiness.

btarlinian

Postby btarlinian » Sat Apr 12, 2008 4:55 am UTC

Bruce wrote:Very rarely can an American sitcom not make me want to puke after 5 seconds. Seinfeld is no exception.

Well we clearly have differing opinions on this.

Bruce wrote:30 Rock however is quite watchable. I would not go raving about it, but if it was on I would not hurry to the power button on the TV, like most such shows.
If you really think there there has not been anything better since Seinfeld you are watching the wrong shows.

Well, my television fare is not exactly the same as what you would get in Australia, so what should I be watching then?

Bruce

Postby Bruce » Sat Apr 12, 2008 5:05 am UTC

Black Books
Firefly*
Spaced
IT Crowd**
Boston Legal**

Just a few from the top of my head, all fairly recent.

* Yes, I am calling it a comedy
** Hit and miss, but better than 30 Rock
COMFORT, n.
A state of mind produced by contemplation of a neighbor's uneasiness.

Allium Cepa

Postby Allium Cepa » Mon Apr 14, 2008 2:45 am UTC

I like it a lot, I didn't catch the new episode though. I think Alec Baldwin and Tina Fey are just spot on in it. All of my favorites are the one's with Will Arnett, him and Baldwin just have great compatibility.
Take me back to the day that I went blind, I would like to see your face for one last time.

Endless Mike

Postby Endless Mike » Mon Apr 14, 2008 2:10 pm UTC

30 Rock is probably my favorite show on TV right now.

Actually, NBC's Thursday lineup is near perfection.

une see
Is my girl

Postby une see » Mon Apr 14, 2008 11:08 pm UTC

Speaking of Will Arnett...Arrested Development- better than 30 Rock in my opinion. But 30 Rock is still pretty funny.
T.S. Eliot in "The Waste Land" wrote:APRIL is the cruellest month, breeding
Lilacs out of the dead land, mixing
Memory and desire, stirring
Dull roots with spring rain.

Kabann

Postby Kabann » Mon Apr 14, 2008 11:17 pm UTC

Shows that are not still on TV don't really count, I think. Shows that are not available on TV where the interested party is located, likewise, don't really count.

I think there are a lot of folks who automatically designate as crap any 'sitcom' on normal, American, commercial networks. But sometimes there are gems.

Yes, I like 30 Rock, but I hardly ever get the chance to watch it. I find The Office usually amusing, occasionally hilarious. Two and a Half Men is very, very, very conventional, somewhat dumbed-down fluff comedy, but sometimes I'm in the mood for that and it's good then. Now if I could only find out whether It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia is coming back for another season...

You know, without actually having to look or anything.
My goal in life is to have money, power, fame, wisdom, and love.
So far, I've got a sense of humor.
It's a good start.

Allium Cepa

Postby Allium Cepa » Tue Apr 15, 2008 1:45 am UTC

une see wrote:Speaking of Will Arnett...Arrested Development- better than 30 Rock in my opinion. But 30 Rock is still pretty funny.

Well, that's not fair, considering Arrested Development is one of the funniest shows ever created. They do share the same kind of same dry, awkward humor that make them so enticing.
Take me back to the day that I went blind, I would like to see your face for one last time.

pet

Postby pet » Tue Apr 15, 2008 4:42 pm UTC

Kabann wrote:Now if I could only find out whether It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia is coming back for another season...

Look no further: it is! [I can't remember when the fourth season will be airing, but rest assured that it is coming.]

That said, 30 Rock is currently my favorite show. [And I thought "MILF Island" was a great episode.] I've been watching since day 1 due to my obsessive love for Tina Fey, but even without her this show is still comedy genius.

And truthfully? I think it's waaay better than The Office and I don't understand how anyone can think otherwise. Sadly, nearly everyone does. ["It makes me so sad that more people don't know about cougars."]

And since I'm in a confessional mood: I like it better than Arrested Development.
"Look up 'idiot' in the dictionary. You know what you'll find?"
"A picture of me?"
"No! The definition of the word 'idiot', which you fucking are!"

Endless Mike

Postby Endless Mike » Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:10 pm UTC

I like it better than The Office and Arrested Development, too.

You can't have a Lemon party without old Dick!

CHeMnISTe BOY

Postby CHeMnISTe BOY » Wed Apr 16, 2008 10:28 am UTC

I quite like this show, but obviously it's not as good as Arrested Development and I think the best American comedy at the moment is Always Sunny In Philedelphia. I also agree that the most recent episode was rubbish.

Still Baldwin and Tina Fey work great together and when they focus on them and kept the annoying supporting characters to a minimum it can be a great show.

Herman

Postby Herman » Thu Apr 17, 2008 4:09 am UTC

Yeah, the recent episode kind of sucked. Although having "MILF Island" on a show with one of the top five MILFs working in Hollywood today was pretty amusing.

goblin_subway
Location: Kansas City, Kansas, USoA, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way Galaxy

Postby goblin_subway » Thu Apr 24, 2008 1:43 am UTC

"I don't drink coffee. I don't drink any hot beverage. It's the devil's temperature"
-Kenneth
I am Jack's overused quote.
Oh, almost forgot. Fuck MENSA.

semicolon

Postby semicolon » Thu Apr 24, 2008 2:51 am UTC

Endless Mike wrote:I like it better than The Office and Arrested Development, too.

W...was that actually a reference to that? When I heard it I figured it was just my imagination and shrugged it off.

TheAmazingRando

Postby TheAmazingRando » Fri Apr 25, 2008 5:47 pm UTC

I just watched it for the first time last night. I figure, I like Tina Fey, Alec Baldwin can be funny (should be in more comedies), and the guy who played Kenneth was pretty funny in Forgetting Sarah Marshall (and played the same character, basically). Not to mention it had Will Arnett, who was really the selling point for me. It was pretty good, not the funniest show I've ever seen, but it's pretty entertaining and I like the characters. Reminds me of Scrubs in some ways, a bit less serious maybe.

goblin_subway
Location: Kansas City, Kansas, USoA, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way Galaxy

Postby goblin_subway » Sat Apr 26, 2008 4:53 am UTC

The show is incredible and the EW pics of Tina Fey are.... wow.
I am Jack's overused quote.
Oh, almost forgot. Fuck MENSA.

Endless Mike

Postby Endless Mike » Mon Apr 28, 2008 4:18 pm UTC

semicolon wrote:
Endless Mike wrote:I like it better than The Office and Arrested Development, too.

W...was that actually a reference to that? When I heard it I figured it was just my imagination and shrugged it off.

Yeah, it was. The writers put in lots of references that most people won't really get.

H.E.L.e.N.
Cheesy-tuna-bacon-pickle?

Postby H.E.L.e.N. » Tue Apr 29, 2008 3:46 am UTC

Kabann wrote:Yes, I like 30 Rock, but I hardly ever get the chance to watch it.

You can watch it legally on the intertubes whenever you want!

I love this show so hard. I think I had a nerdgasm during last week's 'Amadeus' sequence.

swik

Postby swik » Tue Apr 29, 2008 10:02 am UTC

I enjoy the show a lot, Tracy Morgan is usually what puts me over the top and causing me to laugh hysterically. However sometimes he stuff just misses and is too weird for the sake of being weird.

Going against Seinfeld is basically blasphemy. I can't wait for more episodes of It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, I'm surprised I never hear people talking about it, it's fantastic.

CHeMnISTe BOY

Postby CHeMnISTe BOY » Wed Apr 30, 2008 2:04 pm UTC

Highlight of the most recent episode-

"If I'm such a bad father than why is everybody dancing?"

savantcreative

Postby savantcreative » Mon May 05, 2008 9:34 pm UTC

I love the show. Alec Baldwin kills me. To me it's the best show to come along in a great while :D

okelay

Postby okelay » Thu May 08, 2008 8:21 pm UTC

I love this show.
It's funny, and cute and kinda cracky
I can (and have) watch every ep many times and I dont get bored.

one of my fav parts was when they sung "Midnight Train to Georgia"
Alec and Tina are amazing
and I can't help it bur ship Jack/Liz

JET73L

Postby JET73L » Fri May 09, 2008 6:47 am UTC

30 Rock is... Interesting. Well worth watching. Not the best show currently in production, but definitely one of the best I could think of off the top of my head (And way better than avearge, the average for modern shows sucks).
pet wrote:That said, 30 Rock is currently my favorite show. [And I thought "MILF Island" was a great episode.] I've been watching since day 1 due to my obsessive love for Tina Fey, but even without her this show is still comedy genius.

Tina Fey rocks.
[QUOTE=Endless Mike]I like it better than The Office and Arrested Development, too.
[/quote]
Way better than the office. Occasionally the office is funny, but more often than not they've overplayed it. Not often a problem with 30 rock.

Alec Baldwin;s character rocks (as does Alec Baldwin himself)
Tracy and Kenneth are hilarious because they are so alike in exactly opposite ways.
And Jenna and the writers of TGS are each funny in their own different way, often adding to their show with their brief but effective additions.

I ought to see if I can find It;'s Always Sunny In Philadelphia to rent on DVD, it sounds interesting in a way similar to 30 Rock.
The Summoning of Dragons. Single copy, first edition, slighty foxed and extremely dragoned.
+++OUT OF CHEESE ERROR+++ +++PLEASE REBOOT+++
"I assumed we were walking to the bakery." "You alwaysassume that!"

mandalynn

Postby mandalynn » Fri May 09, 2008 7:16 am UTC

30 Rock is fantastic. Every time I watch it, I have weird Alec/Tina sex dreams...which is strange, but also fantastic.
Endless Mike wrote:Actually, NBC's Thursday lineup is near perfection.

I couldn't agree more.

Stabable Offense

Postby Stabable Offense » Sat Dec 06, 2008 10:45 pm UTC

This week's episode was by far the funniest of the season. I've been watching through season 1 again and it seems like I missed a lot more episodes than I thought but it's 100% hilarious.

modularblues

Postby modularblues » Sat Dec 25, 2010 9:26 am UTC

I'll have to borrow entire seasons of DVDs from my campus library. So I can keep holding onto sanity for just a bit longer... while studying... (I have a thing for skilled writers who can also perform convincingly)

In the "Funcooker" episode,
Spoiler:
the scene where Liz is staring at a lit match and contemplating setting her office on fire with everyone in it... the background music goes oh so perfectly.

Return to “Movies and TV Shows”