Only 7

Rot your brains, then rot our boards

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

idont_know12

Only 7

Postby idont_know12 » Sun Apr 20, 2008 6:38 pm UTC

I recently obtained a "coupon" for 7 free movie/game rentals from a local video rental place. However, I have a list of more than 7 movies which I would like to watch. I have created this list from threads in this forum, as well as other websites and, of course, through consultation with IMDB. What I ask of you, O forumites, is to help me narrow this list down to 7.

Koyaanisqatsi
Waking Life
The Wall
Wonderwall
Jacob’s Ladder
Altered States
Eraserhead
Stalker
Solyaris/Solaris
Videodrome
A Clockwork Orange
eXistenZ
The Holy Mountain
The Cell
MirrorMask
Cube 2: Hypercube
Primer
Gummo
A Scanner Darkly
Blue Velvet
The Lawnmower Man
Return to Oz
Silent Hill
Silence of the Lambs
The Nun (La Monja)
Alice
The Shining
Oldboy
Pi
Event Horizon
8mm
Bad Boy Bubby
Tommy [1975]
The Fountain

Jarne

Re: Only 7

Postby Jarne » Sun Apr 20, 2008 9:09 pm UTC

I'll have to insist that you watch Waking Life, since it's my favorite film. A Scanner Darkly was also really good. I didn't like the Russian version of Solaris, but if you've got more patience than I do, you might like it. It was really, really, incredibly slow. Watch Pi instead of The Fountain if you want an Aronofsky film. The Fountain is prettier to watch (cool FX and Rachel Weisz), but I wasn't convinced that the characters gave a damn about each other, which is kind of important for a movie about love. Pi is just filled with awesomeness and I love the ending, although it's certainly not "pretty" by any measure. If Alice is the Jan Svankmajer version, then watch it. I've only seen some of his short films, but they're so damn good I feel safe recommending everything he's done even if I haven't seen it yet.

asanisimasa

Postby asanisimasa » Sun Apr 20, 2008 11:35 pm UTC

Koyaanisqatsi - This is one of those movies you have to be in a certain mood to watch, as it really isn't about anything. It's images set to music. I think it's really beautiful and a great experience.
Jacob’s Ladder - Great film, really speaks for itself.
Eraserhead - Probably my favorite Lynch film. It's really an experience unto itself.
Solyaris/Solaris - Don't waste your time on the new version, the Russian Tarkovsky version is really the way to go. Stalker is great too, but Solaris is the best film to start off with Tarkovsky. Absolutely brilliant.
The Holy Mountain - My favorite Jodorowsky film, so surreal.
Oldboy - I suggest watching all of the Vengeance trilogy (Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance is my favorite), but I guess this is the most popular.
Pi - I loved The Fountain and really suggest seeing it; I'm not sure if I like Pi better, they're just so different, but I suggest seeing it over The Fountain.

Other notes: I enjoyed eXistenZ more than Videodrome, I think, though there are better Cronenberg films (see Dead Ringers or Naked Lunch).
As for Alice (if it is the Svankmajer version), it's.. interesting. Full of surreal images, but there are certain things about it that get a little annoying, like how he constantly focuses on her mouth, etc.. I suggest starting with his short films, or his newer films like Lunacy.
Silence of the Lambs, A Clockwork Orange, The Shining, etc.. all are great and really speak for themselves.
"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love." - Carl Sagan

Rodan
Any title.

Postby Rodan » Fri Apr 25, 2008 2:11 am UTC

idont_know12 wrote:A Clockwork Orange
MirrorMask
A Scanner Darkly
Silence of the Lambs

These are the ones that I've seen, and I recommend them highly, especially A Clockwork Orange and Mirror Mask.

TheAmazingRando

Postby TheAmazingRando » Fri Apr 25, 2008 2:42 am UTC

Oldboy
Silence of the Lambs
The Fountain
A Scanner Darkly
Blue Velvet
Jacob's Ladder
Eraserhead

Waking Life is a film you should see, but I think these are better.
Gummo, well, I can't decide if it was awesome or terrible, but it's pretty depressing and nihilistic. Still probably worth seeing, but again, these are better.

I would recommend against eXistenZ. It was kinda fun, but so campy that I wasn't sure if it was intentional or just poorly written.

ikkleste

Postby ikkleste » Fri Apr 25, 2008 8:05 am UTC

don't bother with the cell or hypercube... there are much better films on that list.
do see 8mm.

asanisimasa

Postby asanisimasa » Sun Apr 27, 2008 5:10 am UTC

asanisimasa wrote:Koyaanisqatsi - This is one of those movies you have to be in a certain mood to watch, as it really isn't about anything. It's images set to music. I think it's really beautiful and a great experience.

Also, something I forgot to mention with this: while Koyaanisqatsi is pretty amazing (and the best of the *qatsi series), as well as the most well-known of this genre of film, you should also check out Baraka, which I like much more than Koyaanisqatsi. Koyaanisqatsi can feel like of dated at times, very 80's, particularly in the city scenes. Baraka has a much more world focus (scene from 24 different countries, while Koyaanisqatsi is pretty much just the US), is newer, and I think it's a lot more beautiful (same cinematographer). Though Phillip Glass' score in Koyaanisqatsi is pretty incredible and can't beat Baraka's world music score.

Update us on what you choose and what you think of each of the 7.
"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love." - Carl Sagan

idont_know12

Postby idont_know12 » Sun Apr 27, 2008 4:19 pm UTC

Great suggestions, thanks! :D

So, right now the list is looking like A Scanner, Darkly; Pi; Jacob's Ladder; Eraserhead; Oldboy; A Clockwork Orange; Silence of the Lambs. Sounds pretty good to me. Now I just have to get out there.

Jarne

Postby Jarne » Sun Apr 27, 2008 8:39 pm UTC

Drugs, obsession, madness, rape and cannibalism. Excellent choices!

idont_know12

Postby idont_know12 » Sun Apr 27, 2008 10:52 pm UTC

I thought so.

TheAmazingRando

Postby TheAmazingRando » Sun Apr 27, 2008 11:23 pm UTC

Jarne wrote:Drugs, obsession, madness, rape and cannibalism. Excellent choices!

Don't forget
Spoiler:
incest

mosc
Doesn't care what you think.

Postby mosc » Thu May 01, 2008 7:32 pm UTC

man I have different tastes than you. I actually disliked every movie on your list I've seen and the ones I haven't were so unappealing that I never really WANT to see them. I guess you just like suspense. I find it rather played out, formulaic, and boring.

That said, event horizon was particularly horrible and I can't imagine anybody really loving it, even if they like suspense. It's just random, screwy, and over the top.

Pi was entertaining for the first half but then it just got very psychedelic and lost all assemblence of a plot-line.
Title: It was given by the XKCD moderators to me because they didn't care what I thought (I made some rantings, etc). I care what YOU think, the joke is forums.xkcd doesn't care what I think.

Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance

Postby Belial » Thu May 01, 2008 7:37 pm UTC

i_don't_know: I'm a bit late to the thread, but the list you've picked out contains most of the ones I would have recommended (and certainly the top 5). Good call.

I can only add that Primer and MirrorMask definitely deserve to be seen, even if you don't get them on this coupon.

And Silent Hill has an incredible atmosphere, even if the plot isn't all that well put together.

I recommend all three, for later.
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.

They/them

Robin S

Postby Robin S » Thu May 01, 2008 7:39 pm UTC

I saw Pi and didn't think it was particularly great. It was interesting, I suppose.
This is a placeholder until I think of something more creative to put here.

TheAmazingRando

Postby TheAmazingRando » Thu May 01, 2008 9:11 pm UTC

Belial wrote:And Silent Hill has an incredible atmosphere, even if the plot isn't all that well put together.

I recommend all three, for later.

Get rid of the scenes with evil Alessa speaking with Rose and I'll agree with you. The creepy child trope just seemed so trite compared to the stunning visuals in the rest of the film.

Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance

Postby Belial » Thu May 01, 2008 9:43 pm UTC

I agree with you about that scene, for that reason, and also because it was just such fucking lazy filmmaking.

"I couldn't show you this story adequately in the time allotted, so I'm going to have a character stop the action with her god powers and tell it to you in a long-ass monologue."

Blech.
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.

They/them

TheAmazingRando

Postby TheAmazingRando » Thu May 01, 2008 10:01 pm UTC

Not only that, but when
Spoiler:
Rose sees evil Alessa in the dilapidated building, where she gives us a creepy stare and summons fire (my memory is a bit vague, it's been a while)
I couldn't help but roll my eyes.
I enjoyed the film as a whole, and really enjoyed parts of it, but there are parts of it that really don't fit.

Dusty Chalk

Postby Dusty Chalk » Thu May 01, 2008 10:28 pm UTC

Koyaanisqatsi -- I agree it takes a certain mood to be watched, but if you are in the right frame of mind (a "people-watching" frame of mind is a good close approximation), it's sublime. One of my favorite movies of all time. Pure eye-candy.

The Wall -- I presume you mean Pink Floyd's The Wall -- another eye-candy movie, another one of my favorites of all time

MirrorMask -- My favorite movie from 2005, pure eye candy, a Dave McKean illustration brought to life, with a nice coming-of-age story underneath.

Silent Hill -- Great horror movie, nice attention to detail (Semi-Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Take particular note of her outfit throughout the movie and the soundtrack.
). Easily the best game->movie adaptation ever (yes, even better than [the first] Resident Evil, IMHO). And it has an actual story!

Event Horizon -- One of either the cheesiest or scariest movies ever, I'm not sure it's not both.

The Shining -- A classic. A must-see if you haven't seen it yet.

Oldboy -- I preferred Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance, but not by a wide margin (I.E. the whole trilogy is great).
I remain,
:-Peter, aka :-Dusty :-Chalk

Quixotess
No. Cookies.

Postby Quixotess » Fri May 02, 2008 4:49 am UTC

Just FYI: I don't know how "Return to Oz" made it onto your list, but you should just forget about it. Effing bizarre semi-old movies. Don't make sense. Annoying. Scary in all the wrong ways. (That rock-thing? What the hell?) Seriously. Don't do it.
Raise up the torch and light the way.

TheAmazingRando

Postby TheAmazingRando » Fri May 02, 2008 4:58 am UTC

"Return to Oz" was a movie I only vaguely remembered parts for years in my childhood, I wasn't sure if it was a movie I had seen or a nightmare I had had, but it scared me whenever I remembered it.

I haven't seen it for years and years, so I don't know how good a movie it actually is, but I haven't really heard anything positive about it.

Return to “Movies and TV Shows”