Game of Thrones: The TV Show (novelisation coming soon)

Rot your brains, then rot our boards

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Ulc

Re: A Song of Lice and Ire

Postby Ulc » Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:43 pm UTC

Lucrece wrote:When they start showing male rape as illustration of unpleasant environments in most fiction on a frequent and explicit basis, we can talk about similarity of triggers.

So someone that has been raped by a woman can't possible understand what a woman feels after a rape?

You've been saying all along that *men* can't possible understand what the trauma of a trigger means to someone, to be frank, that is flat out bullshit sexism on your part, and I expected better on this forum. You've not been saying "these specific people don't understand", instead you have attacked the entire gender as someone that can't possible understand.

No, I don't think triggers are ever worth sacrificing.

Excuse me very much, but why are your pet-trigger more important than the billion other triggers present in pretty much any fiction?

Triggering is a after effect of suffering a trauma, where the trigger brings you back to the traumatic experience. It's not just

Rape - is a obvious trigger
Explosions - People with trauma's from their a military career often find these hugely triggering, and by triggering I mean "sits in a corner having panic attacks for the 12 hours and cries more or less constantly for the next 2 days".
Gunshots - See above.
Police - people that have suffered from police brutality are commonly reported to have post traumatic stress syndrome, including all the triggers that entail, seeing someone get arrested in a movie is quite likely to cause them to suffer from a panic attack
Out of control fire - people that have been heavily maimed and have been in a lot of paint and/or lost loved ones in a fire frequently go into panic attacks upon seeing, or thinking about, fire that isn't under very strict control
Prostitution - Quite a few prostitutes suffers from suffer from post traumatic stress syndrome when they get out of that environment, particularly if it wasn't a conscious choice they originally began working as one.
Incest - Even if they at the time believe it to be consensual, victims from incest often experience it as a major trauma later in life, that are fairly easily set off.
Car crashes - these can be a hugely traumatic experience, particularly if someone dies, either at someone dies. In the case of the driver running someone down, despite driving perfectly, the driver often suffers from flashbacks, panic attacks, low self-worth for long periods after being reminded of the event

I could go one, pretty much any serious trauma can cause post traumatic stress syndrome - and most people suffering from that have triggers quite similar to what a rape victim experience. What sets it off is different, but the reaction is very comparable.

And your pet-trigger is not more important than the rest of these, their experiences are real as well. Rape as a trigger might be a bit more common, both as reference, and as a trauma suffered, but it is not inherently more important than other people's deeply traumatic experience.

The list isn't done yet, but the point should be pretty clear, it's nearly impossible to create fiction without triggering someone. So a stance that it is never okay sacrificing to trigger someone is unrealistic unless you want to ban all fiction. And if you agree that it is okay to trigger someone to tell a story, exactly why is it okay to trigger someone that lost his family to a fire, ended up heavily maimed and in pain for a very long time, but not to trigger someone with a rape scene?
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it - Aristotle

A White Russian, shades and a bathrobe, what more can you want from life?

podbaydoor

Postby podbaydoor » Thu Apr 28, 2011 3:16 am UTC

Hey, Ulc, how many female rape scenes have been explicitly portrayed in movies/TV, and how many male rape scenes have been explicitly portrayed in movies/TV? Somehow female rape is fair game for long camera exposures and license to be "edgy." The male domination of writing and directing in Hollywood and the TV industry is also relevant to this context. It's fine to turn an ambiguous wedding night into a female rape scene, but no reverse "edgification" has been done elsewhere?
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
a principle or belief, esp. one of the main principles of a religion or philosophy : the tenets of classical liberalism.
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun
a person who occupies land or property rented from a landlord.

LaserGuy

Postby LaserGuy » Thu Apr 28, 2011 3:38 am UTC

podbaydoor wrote:Hey, Ulc, how many female rape scenes have been explicitly portrayed in movies/TV, and how many male rape scenes have been explicitly portrayed in movies/TV? Somehow female rape is fair game for long camera exposures and license to be "edgy." The male domination of writing and directing in Hollywood and the TV industry is also relevant to this context. It's fine to turn an ambiguous wedding night into a female rape scene, but no reverse "edgification" has been done elsewhere?

Male rape is a lot more common in film than you give it credit for. You just don't notice as much because male rape is funny.

podbaydoor

Postby podbaydoor » Thu Apr 28, 2011 3:49 am UTC

Which is a tragedy also. However, I doubt most of those rape scenes ever had the camera linger titillatingly on the guy's naked body.
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
a principle or belief, esp. one of the main principles of a religion or philosophy : the tenets of classical liberalism.
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun

LaserGuy

Postby LaserGuy » Thu Apr 28, 2011 4:19 am UTC

podbaydoor wrote:Which is a tragedy also. However, I doubt most of those rape scenes ever had the camera linger titillatingly on the guy's naked body.

Does the nudity matter? If people are triggering on rape scenes, they're probably going to trigger on them whether the characters are fully exposed or not. I wouldn't expect many of those movies to have much male nudity, no, because showing an exposed penis on film will probably get your movie rated R or X under any circumstances, whereas you can have an extended scene of a man getting raped without any obvious nudity, and end up with a PG rating under the nonsensical MPAA system.

podbaydoor

Postby podbaydoor » Thu Apr 28, 2011 4:30 am UTC

Are there frequent extended scenes of men getting raped with no nudity? *scratches head* Has there been an instance of this in Game of Thrones?

Anyway, it's not like female rape scenes where the camera still exposes the nude woman show her genitals either. My original point was that, whatever the justification, Game of Thrones' female rape scene now takes its place among the female rape scenes in popular media, and fits into the overall pattern: a bit similar to the old Protestant and Catholic "exposés" of the licentious sexual acts of some targeted enemy, and yet describing these acts in suspicious detail while slapping a "this is bad" aesop at the beginning.
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun

Lucrece

Postby Lucrece » Thu Apr 28, 2011 4:33 am UTC

Yes, the nudity matters. It eroticizes the rape in the Stormborn/Drogo scene. Whereas prison/gang revenge rape scenes are grotesque by depiction. There's no gaze running there unlike the female rape scene.

Besides, what makes you think that a naked guy needs to show a penis while being raped. It's pretty easy to shoot the same doggy-style scene Dany was shown in with a male and conceal the penis. Not only that, but movies with rape by default are R-rated regardless of gender. Prison flicks aren't exactly PG-13 material.
Belial wrote:That's charming, Nancy, but all I hear when you talk is a bunch of yippy dog sounds.

podbaydoor

Postby podbaydoor » Thu Apr 28, 2011 4:37 am UTC

Yeah. The scene in American History X didn't have a hint of erotic charge, despite Edward Norton being nude. No pans up his body, no coy shots of hands on skin or any of that - the scene was played straightforward and brutal. A similar female rape scene would probably focus on glistening water droplets or whatever.
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun

Lucrece

Postby Lucrece » Thu Apr 28, 2011 4:58 am UTC

podbaydoor wrote:Yeah. The scene in American History X didn't have a hint of erotic charge, despite Edward Norton being nude. No pans up his body, no coy shots of hands on skin or any of that - the scene was played straightforward and brutal. A similar female rape scene would probably focus on glistening water droplets or whatever.

And whimper/moans instead of the grunts and whelps.

Not that such rape scene in that awful movie wasn't vexing in how cliché it was to include the mandatory jail rape scene as the boogeyman to bad behavior. They couldn't just beat him up or cut him -- exploiting homophobic anxiety in the audience was better.
Belial wrote:That's charming, Nancy, but all I hear when you talk is a bunch of yippy dog sounds.

LaserGuy

Postby LaserGuy » Thu Apr 28, 2011 5:23 am UTC

podbaydoor wrote:Are there frequent extended scenes of men getting raped with no nudity? *scratches head* Has there been an instance of this in Game of Thrones?

I don't recall there being any male homosexuality in the books, no. For the other, yes, there are lots. The TVTropes links that I included in my earlier post have examples of both Male->Male and Female->Male. The popular Wedding Crashers movie from a few years back, had a fairly extended male rape that I can think of off the top of my head.

Lucrece wrote:Yes, the nudity matters. It eroticizes the rape in the Stormborn/Drogo scene. Whereas prison/gang revenge rape scenes are grotesque by depiction. There's no gaze running there unlike the female rape scene.

Besides, what makes you think that a naked guy needs to show a penis while being raped. It's pretty easy to shoot the same doggy-style scene Dany was shown in with a male and conceal the penis. Not only that, but movies with rape by default are R-rated regardless of gender. Prison flicks aren't exactly PG-13 material.

Prison flicks aren't PG, no. Comedies often are.

Ulc

Postby Ulc » Thu Apr 28, 2011 6:30 am UTC

Lucrece wrote:Not that such rape scene in that awful movie wasn't vexing in how cliché it was to include the mandatory jail rape scene

So it is vexing because it includes a cliche according to you, not because it triggers victims of male on male rape.

Hello fucking double standard.

"Nono, it's never okay to trigger people! Ohh, that scene, that was just so cliche"
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it - Aristotle

Lucrece

Postby Lucrece » Thu Apr 28, 2011 6:49 am UTC

Right, because these are mutually exclusive reasons. A reason why it's wasteful dedicating any thoughtful reply to you.

Midnight

Postby Midnight » Thu Apr 28, 2011 6:57 am UTC

Hey, so some things bug people. There's literally no way to please everyone in this context, guys. From what I'm reading of Lucrece, she seems to be saying that ANY rape-y stuff would be a trigger... and that messes up the entire books, if you take that shit out.

I vehemently disagree with the idea that Dany's nudity eroticizes the scene, because to me, at least, that implies some level of validation. I don't find them more palatable because she's naked; I find them more disturbing due to an increased perception of vulnerability (which, again, the director does that for a reason), and I kinda feel like you believe that people were like "oh, she's naked, and she's getting raped, that's hot"--for one, that doesn't happen. I mean, obviously there is a select disgusting minority that believes that, but the vasssssssssst majority of people don't. And, honestly, the nakedness doesn't affect those numbers--the people who somehow approve of that conduct don't care about the clothes, and for the people that don't approve of the conduct, me included, the clothedness don't matter. Rape is rape. and it's never good. regardless of how short or long it is onscreen, regardless of who's clothed and who isn't, it's an obscene, horrible business.

BUT HEY. I'm not in this apparent majority of people that think "rape scenes make me feel bad cause rape is bad--unless the person being raped is hawt; then i'll put that shit on loop" so maybe my opinion isn't really relevant.
uhhhh fuck.

Amarantha

Postby Amarantha » Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:55 am UTC

LaserGuy wrote:I don't recall there being any male homosexuality in the books, no.
Which is indicative of another double standard. (spoiler for the books)
Spoiler:
Not because there wasn't any, but because it wasn't noticeable. George gives us some pretty graphic detail of otherwise straight-seeming women having lesbian sex for power (Cersei) or loneliness (Dany). But the one truly passionate gay male relationship is so gently hinted at that it required Word of God to say "Yes, actually Renly and Loras are gay".

SamaraLexx

Postby SamaraLexx » Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:03 pm UTC

I did find those scenes triggery, so I have no lasting memory of the style in which they were shot, how long they were or what kinds of noises she made. So there! Problem solved! People who might be triggered won't even remember these details! Let's party!

P.S. - I wasn't offended by the Game of Thrones scenes. I think the only time I've thought "these people are idiots" about that kind of thing was in Rescue Me, when (and apologies if I'm completely remembering this wrong) Gavin rapes his wife, halfway through it she starts to enjoy it, and then he walks out all cool and putting his sunglasses on like he's in the opening scene of CSI.

LaserGuy

Postby LaserGuy » Thu Apr 28, 2011 5:07 pm UTC

Amarantha wrote:
LaserGuy wrote:I don't recall there being any male homosexuality in the books, no.

Which is indicative of another double standard. (spoiler for the books)

Spoiler:
Not because there wasn't any, but because it wasn't noticeable. George gives us some pretty graphic detail of otherwise straight-seeming women having lesbian sex for power (Cersei) or loneliness (Dany). But the one truly passionate gay male relationship is so gently hinted at that it required Word of God to say "Yes, actually Renly and Loras are gay".

I'm always surprised by how much I've missed reading through the books. Thinking back on it, I can see what you're talking about, but yes, it's subtle.

Midnight

Postby Midnight » Fri Apr 29, 2011 12:27 am UTC

and should it be more strongly hinted, or mentioned? yeah, probably it should. but that's not really a problem with this TV show--it's a problem with the books; they're going off the source material.
so i feel like that's sort of irrelevant in this particular discussion (here, though...).
uhhhh fuck.

markden111

Postby markden111 » Sat Apr 30, 2011 6:59 am UTC

Amarantha wrote:
markden111 wrote:
Amarantha wrote:Yep, that was him. He had some brief appearances in Ep. 1 also, but they haven't said his name yet.

what the reason behind this?
Presumably because if they introduce everyone at once, there'll be no time left for any actual story. They're introducing characters slowly, a few per episode, so that non-readers don't get lost. All a new viewer needs to know right now is that some kid hangs around with the Starks. When he becomes relevant to the story, they'll name him and explain his presence.

Oh...thanks for this explanation.

Diadem

Postby Diadem » Tue May 03, 2011 12:17 am UTC

Just watched the third episode. It's very very good. The plot is really starting to develop now, and all the characters are becoming more flushed out.

I absolutely love Arya. She was my favorite character in the books, and the actress is absolutely spot on. That last scene of the episode was awesome.
It's one of those irregular verbs, isn't it? I have an independent mind, you are an eccentric, he is round the twist
- Bernard Woolley in Yes, Prime Minister

Lucrece

Postby Lucrece » Tue May 03, 2011 12:33 am UTC

I'm really fond of Ned's actor. His power scenes with war fatigue and its haunting really shine through without coming off forced.
Spoiler:
Pity we grow fond of him; only for him not to last long. Ditto for Robert Baratheon. Those actors will definitely knock it out of the ballpark when time comes for goodbye.

Telchar
That's Admiral 'The Hulk' Ackbar, to you sir

Postby Telchar » Tue May 03, 2011 5:46 am UTC

Do you think Jon Snow is sad that Bran is 10 and a better actor? I'm sad they edited the Alliser Thorne/Tyrion dinner exchange but the replacement wasn't bad. I was really skeptical of the Syrio Forrel casting but the longer the scene went the more I liked it. Varrys seems almost comical, which looking back I guess he kind of was. Mormont was awesome casting and Aemon was good although I imagined him much differently.

Overall I hate all the people I hated in the book and like most of the characters I did (except Jon but I guess that might be writing more than acting? dunno, but he looks like he's literally frozen in ice every scene). Good show so far.
Zamfir wrote:Yeah, that's a good point. Everyone is all about presumption of innocence in rape threads. But when Mexican drug lords build APCs to carry their henchmen around, we immediately jump to criminal conclusions without hard evidence.

grythyttan
Location: Hncwhxagykozzqlif azefkbtvw. Kjkd sb, ypwyw eg tdpm.

Postby grythyttan » Tue May 03, 2011 10:09 am UTC

Telchar wrote: I was really skeptical of the Syrio Forrel casting but the longer the scene went the more I liked it.
This was pretty much my exact thoughts when watching that scene.
And I think that this was the best episode so far. The story's picking up and you begin to understand what's going on. Although I hope they will eventually have episodes that focus more on one of the plots instead of jumping back and forth.
Joy of Cooking was far less of an achievement than Thyme Cube discovery, for I have Cubed the Spice, with 4 simultaneous flavor types in 1 plant of Earth.
Spoiler:

LaserGuy

Postby LaserGuy » Tue May 03, 2011 4:23 pm UTC

Lucrece wrote:I'm really fond of Ned's actor. His power scenes with war fatigue and its haunting really shine through without coming off forced.
Spoiler:
Pity we grow fond of him; only for him not to last long. Ditto for Robert Baratheon. Those actors will definitely knock it out of the ballpark when time comes for goodbye.

^ Big spoiler for those who haven't read the books, btw.

grythyttan wrote:This was pretty much my exact thoughts when watching that scene. And I think that this was the best episode so far. The story's picking up and you begin to understand what's going on. Although I hope they will eventually have episodes that focus more on one of the plots instead of jumping back and forth.

I'd be surprised if they do any episodes that feature any of the POVs disproportionately. I think the way they're doing it is to try to emulate the style of the books, and also to keep the timeline relatively consistent--if they did a whole episode following Jon Snow, for example, we probably wouldn't see him at all for the rest of the series until the other storylines catch up.

jawdisorder

Postby jawdisorder » Tue May 03, 2011 8:54 pm UTC

I don't think focusing on one POV would really work out too well. There's generally some amount of time that passes between each time someone is shown so if they stuck with one it may be harder to indicate that passage of time. It may work out better once
Spoiler:
the war starts going down though since there were sometimes multiple POVs involved in the battles.

Telchar

Postby Telchar » Fri May 06, 2011 10:36 pm UTC

It's tough to realize the scope of the travel times without reading the books.

Spoiler:
I mean, one episode Cat is in Winterfell the next she's in King's Landing. I bet we get the scene with Tyrion and Cat at the inn next episode and that travel takes weeks.

Point: Skipping around allows them to gloss over the chronology of travel.
Zamfir wrote:Yeah, that's a good point. Everyone is all about presumption of innocence in rape threads. But when Mexican drug lords build APCs to carry their henchmen around, we immediately jump to criminal conclusions without hard evidence.

Telchar

Postby Telchar » Mon May 09, 2011 3:27 am UTC

So in this weeks installment of "Why the fuck did they change that?" I don't understand the Littlefinger/Sansa conversation:

"Hey, so that big guy just killed that guy everyone in the audience thinks is a douche, so I'm going to tell you about his brother. And apparently it's a really dangerous story to know so I'll whisper it in front of all these extras and your nosy sister."

I mean, I get that they have a lot of background story to go over and it's really tough to do that in a series setting but....that was dumb. Really dumb.

I did like the scene with Jaime and the Jory. Making Jaime a more sympathetic character earlier is a good thing I think and the exchange seemed genuine.

Midnight

Postby Midnight » Mon May 09, 2011 8:44 am UTC

Yeah, Littlefinger telling the story seemed stupid. It was one of Sandor's best scenes, and it really humanizes him.

also, why the brothel scene with Viserys? Was that really necessary? Was that really the best way to explain some dragon backstory? Why not just show the skulls at some point?
uhhhh fuck.

Diadem

Postby Diadem » Mon May 09, 2011 11:54 am UTC

I'm not sure where they want to go with the Sandor storyline either. Perhaps they want focus more on Littlefinger and less and Sandor. That kind of makes sense, you can't have as many main characters in a tv series as you can have in a book. It makes sense to focus more on a few persons. And Littlefinger is more important to the overall storyline than the Hound is. I don't think it was a dumb scene.

I also liked the Daenerys parts, that storyline is really starting to get interesting, and the last scene was epic. Overall I still rate this series as very very good.
It's one of those irregular verbs, isn't it? I have an independent mind, you are an eccentric, he is round the twist
- Bernard Woolley in Yes, Prime Minister

blu

Postby blu » Mon May 09, 2011 2:01 pm UTC

Telchar wrote:So in this weeks installment of "Why the fuck did they change that?" ...

Yeah, it was a bad way to give a little background to the Hound. They should have kept it as it was in the books, between the Hound and Sansa.
I feel this episode was a little heavy with exposition. I'd prefer they show more and tell less.

Midnight wrote:also, why the brothel scene with Viserys? Was that really necessary? Was that really the best way to explain some dragon backstory? Why not just show the skulls at some point?

I do hope they kept the scene from the book where
Spoiler:
Arya finds the skulls in the basement, and eavesdrops on Varys and Illyrio.

Edit: Nice. It's in the preview of the next episode.
Last edited by blu on Mon May 09, 2011 3:42 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Telchar

Postby Telchar » Mon May 09, 2011 2:27 pm UTC

Diadem wrote:I'm not sure where they want to go with the Sandor storyline either. Perhaps they want focus more on Littlefinger and less and Sandor. That kind of makes sense, you can't have as many main characters in a tv series as you can have in a book. It makes sense to focus more on a few persons. And Littlefinger is more important to the overall storyline than the Hound is. I don't think it was a dumb scene.

I just think the way they did it was dumb. Whispering a dangerous secret to someone in a public place right after you just got done talking about spies being everywhere seems very un-Littlefinger.

LaserGuy

Postby LaserGuy » Mon May 09, 2011 6:27 pm UTC

Telchar wrote:So in this weeks installment of "Why the fuck did they change that?" I don't understand the Littlefinger/Sansa conversation:

"Hey, so that big guy just killed that guy everyone in the audience thinks is a douche, so I'm going to tell you about his brother. And apparently it's a really dangerous story to know so I'll whisper it in front of all these extras and your nosy sister."

I mean, I get that they have a lot of background story to go over and it's really tough to do that in a series setting but....that was dumb. Really dumb.

I did like the scene with Jaime and the Jory. Making Jaime a more sympathetic character earlier is a good thing I think and the exchange seemed genuine.

Yeah, the scene with Littlefinger and Sansa was a bit out of place, especially since the scene where that information is actually revealed is pretty dramatic, despite being much later in the series. The brothel scene also seemed a little out of place, but I'm guessing it had more to do with fleshing out (no pun intended) Irri's character, who seems to be taking a much bigger role in that storyline. She's been far more involved in the storyline than say, Khal Drogo, who's only had a few lines of dialog the entire series.

I think the introduction of Sam has breathed some life into Jon's storyline. I don't really like the actor they have playing Jon, but he seemed a lot less wooden this episode now that he has someone to interact with. Oh, and apparently Ghost came to the Wall with Jon, which I don't think someone not familiar with the series would have guessed.

SamaraLexx

Postby SamaraLexx » Mon May 09, 2011 6:41 pm UTC

I loved the last scene and its badassery. And I love Peter Dinklage. I used to see him all the time when I walked my dog, and he'd always stop to play with her. I tried to hold her up to the screen to see if she recognized him. Shockingly, it didn't work.

el_loco_avs

Postby el_loco_avs » Tue May 10, 2011 12:18 am UTC

SamaraLexx wrote:I loved the last scene and its badassery. And I love Peter Dinklage. I used to see him all the time when I walked my dog, and he'd always stop to play with her. I tried to hold her up to the screen to see if she recognized him. Shockingly, it didn't work.

Came here to post this. That was GREAT.
You go your way.
I'll go your way too.

Zyphlin

Postby Zyphlin » Tue May 10, 2011 4:44 pm UTC

My guess on the scene change....

We don't have as much of a feeling for the Hound in the TV series as we do by this part of the book series. So in the book, when he got up and stood up to Gregor in the tournament we had some kind of basis to go off of in regards to having an emotional response to it. If/when this happens in the TV series, without the little insight by Littlefinger, the average viewer would be either kind of confused, disinterested, or not really having a big reaction to it. It'd be a somewhat wasted scene.

By letting littlefinger tell the story it does two things. One, it furthers the creepy old pedophile vibe of Littlefinger, trying to hit on/get a rise out of/impress Sansa by sharing secrets with her. Two, it gives the viewing audiance some kind of connection for an emotional reaction to the conflict that should occur with Sandor and Gregor next episode.

Yes, it messes a bit with the Sansa and Sandor story arc, but I'm willing to hold off judgement. For example, after Littlefingers threat to Sansa if she ever mentioned it...a drunken Hound spilling the beans to her would seem all that more of a major thing. Where as without it, it'd just seem like the guy that's been somewhat stoic the past few episodes talks about himself a bit.

And that's the thing, the book and TV sandor is somewhat different. The Books Sandor was filled with anger, dulled himself with poppy and booze, and was a somewhat cruel person that revelled in it a bit to attempt to hide his scared inside. The Show Sandor has been much more cool, collective, cold almost. There was no laughing about the killing of the butcher boy, just a somewhat sad/apathetic look with a dispassionate sarcastic remark about him not running fast enough. So I think opening up, without some insight, would seem out of place and yet unimportant with the Show Sandor while it worked with the way the book went.

My two cents.
[Insert Catchphrase Here]

jawdisorder

Postby jawdisorder » Fri May 13, 2011 2:07 am UTC

Just finished my semester and was able to actually watch the last two episodes on my DVR at home. The one thing that was constantly coming to mind was, "Where the fuck is Ghost?" I was convinced they had completely forgot about him until the one scene after Sam shows up. In the book Ghost plays a huge companion role for Jon and is constantly present, I don't really see the point of bringing Ghost into the picture so late in as they are probably going to be doing.

LaserGuy

Postby LaserGuy » Fri May 13, 2011 5:43 am UTC

jawdisorder wrote:Just finished my semester and was able to actually watch the last two episodes on my DVR at home. The one thing that was constantly coming to mind was, "Where the fuck is Ghost?" I was convinced they had completely forgot about him until the one scene after Sam shows up. In the book Ghost plays a huge companion role for Jon and is constantly present, I don't really see the point of bringing Ghost into the picture so late in as they are probably going to be doing.

I'm guessing that there must be some money/training issue related to the dogs they're using that prevents them from being more in the story. The use of the wolves has been basically kept to the absolute minimum throughout the entire series so far.

Lucrece

Postby Lucrece » Sat May 14, 2011 8:05 am UTC

So, someone did a heavy metal cover of the serie's opening theme. IT'S SOOOOOO GOOOD, OMGAWSH!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GC-ZmlwBWKM

Amarantha

Postby Amarantha » Sat May 14, 2011 9:23 am UTC

Mp3 downloaded! Thanks :)

SamaraLexx

Postby SamaraLexx » Mon May 16, 2011 3:26 am UTC

To anyone who read the books - is there a reason, other than the "he takes you like a bitch" scene, that everyone in this world seems to take it from behind every time? There are other positions, people!

Ulc

Postby Ulc » Mon May 16, 2011 5:17 am UTC

SamaraLexx wrote:To anyone who read the books - is there a reason, other than the "he takes you like a bitch" scene, that everyone in this world seems to take it from behind every time? There are other positions, people!

Probably that it is easier to fake in a sex scene when filming, than many other positions.

In the book, as far as I remember, very little attention is paid to the positions - except for the Dany/Drogo scenes, where it is important.

Return to “Movies and TV Shows”