Arrested Development: The Movie

Rot your brains, then rot our boards

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

22/7
I'm pretty sure I have "The Slavery In My Asshole" on DVD.

Arrested Development: The Movie

Postby 22/7 » Tue Jul 01, 2008 4:04 pm UTC

So apparently this is actually going to happen. Release date 2009.

I am personally quite excited, though I was very happy with how they left the series so I would have been happy without another season or a movie.

Anyway, thoughts? Excited? Pissed? Drunk?

Edit: Here is the imdb page.
Totally not a hypothetical...

Steroid wrote:
bigglesworth wrote:If your economic reality is a choice, then why are you not as rich as Bill Gates?
Don't want to be.
I want to be!

TheAmazingRando

Re: Arrested Development: The Movie

Postby TheAmazingRando » Tue Jul 01, 2008 7:24 pm UTC

The series was still going strong when it was cancelled, if the same people are involved I can't imagine this turning out poorly.

Okita
Staying Alive

Postby Okita » Tue Jul 01, 2008 7:54 pm UTC

I was there at a Will Ferrell thing with Will Arnett hosting. A friend of mine asked Ferrell what he was doing about helping getting an Arrested Development movie. Ferrell said he would finance the entire thing... except filmed in Mexico and dubbed in Spanish with on a $2,000 budget. Funny stuff. But afterwards, Arnett said that there were talks in the works.

I guess the talks resulted in it going through. Makes me think about Firefly + Serenity.

(I asked Will Ferrell to pop a wheelie on his motorized scooter. Should have pressured him about Arrested Development. Luckily my friend got the save)
"I may or may not be a raptor. There is no way of knowing until entering a box that I happen to be in and then letting me sunder the delicious human flesh from your body in reptile fury."

Frello

Postby Frello » Tue Jul 01, 2008 10:13 pm UTC

I will see it, if I get the possibility.
I always though Arrested Development didn't need any additional seasons. With a setting like that and such exaggerated characters, it would become contrived, even though it's AD. And one season of AD certainly contains a higher number of clever jokes than the entire run of Friends or other mediocre sitcoms...

...with club sauce.

TheAmazingRando

Postby TheAmazingRando » Tue Jul 01, 2008 10:20 pm UTC

I think it could have done with a full third season, at least. It seemed towards the end that they were trying to cram all their loose ends into the final five or six episodes, which led to five or six episodes that were made of pure awesome, but which could probably have been spread out into a full-length season.

existential_elevator
The awesomest one!

Postby existential_elevator » Tue Jul 01, 2008 11:05 pm UTC

Arrested Development is my favourite thing to come out of American television in years. I am really hoping they don't screw it up. I'm not convinced that the format will transfer well to an extended period.

Maseiken
The Candylawyer

Postby Maseiken » Wed Jul 02, 2008 1:55 am UTC

TheAmazingRando wrote:The series was still going strong when it was cancelled, if the same people are involved I can't imagine this turning out poorly.

That may be the case. But they ended it really well. It was over. This isn't necessary.

Serenity Was necessary, because there were so many things that hadn't been wrapped up.
An Angel move would make perfect sense (Especially since the comics are kinda beginning to suck).
This is not, everything was tied up really nicely, I was actually quite impressed with how well the show dealt with it's cancellation...
"GRRRRRRRRRROOOOOOOOWR!!!!"
(Translation: "Objection!")

Maseiken had the ball at the top of the key...

Mathmagic
It's not as cool as that Criss Angel stuff.

Postby Mathmagic » Wed Jul 02, 2008 2:06 am UTC

Arrested Development is one of those shows that I can watch the same episode multiple times (over time, obviously) and laugh just as hard every time. I don't see how this movie could turn out badly.
Axman: That, and have you played DX 10 games? It's like having your corneas swabbed with clits made out of morphine.
Pathway: cocks cocks cocks

Al Creed

Postby Al Creed » Wed Jul 02, 2008 4:59 am UTC

Not saying the movie will suck, I think an Arrested Development movie is unnecessary. I think the Series Finale wrapped things up pretty nicely

Boxcar Aldous Huxley

Postby Boxcar Aldous Huxley » Wed Jul 02, 2008 12:14 pm UTC

I'm slightly wary about this one; I think Arrested worked very well with its 22-minute limit, and a longer movie may... work less well. Also, they cant really play with sitcom conventions effectively in a movie format, and that was one of the show's strengths. Then again, The Simpsons Movie was strangely satisfying, so that may be the case here. I'm also fairly sure the writers will find something new and amusing to explore for the movie. On balance, I'd say I'm cautiously optimistic about the prospect of a movie, although this may be revised as plot points come out.
"I was thrown out of NYU my freshman year. I cheated on my Metaphysics final. I looked within the soul of the boy sitting next to me." -Woody Allen

TheAmazingRando

Postby TheAmazingRando » Wed Jul 02, 2008 6:03 pm UTC

I think that, given the show's serial nature, it will fare better with a long runtime than shows that have always been restricted to 22-minute story arcs.

22/7
I'm pretty sure I have "The Slavery In My Asshole" on DVD.

Postby 22/7 » Wed Jul 02, 2008 6:13 pm UTC

TheAmazingRando wrote:I think that, given the show's serial nature, it will fare better with a long runtime than shows that have always been restricted to 22-minute story arcs.

Do you think they'll break the thing into 3/4/5 definable 22-minute episodes so that they can later be played on TV as separate episodes?
Totally not a hypothetical...

Steroid wrote:
bigglesworth wrote:If your economic reality is a choice, then why are you not as rich as Bill Gates?
Don't want to be.
I want to be!

Malice

Postby Malice » Thu Jul 03, 2008 12:26 am UTC

Frello wrote:I always though Arrested Development didn't need any additional seasons. With a setting like that and such exaggerated characters, it would become contrived, even though it's AD.

Arrested Development is nothing but contrivances--contrivances piled on top of contrivances in a big unlikely ice cream sundae of conveniently hilarious coincidences. Each episode is like a 22-minute joke, each scene really only serving to progress the individual actions of each character further along an axis which leads inexorably to an explosive intersection--at which point, expectations are betrayed, failures confronted, and lessons willfully not learned.

If they can actually manage to keep the same sort of manic, house of cards structure up over an entire film, I predict the 20 minute triumphant climax of comedic contrivances will blow my brain out the back of my skull.

Master Gunner

Postby Master Gunner » Thu Jul 03, 2008 1:43 am UTC

Dude.

Awesome.

*Watches all of Arrested Development, again*

sugarhyped

Postby sugarhyped » Thu Jul 03, 2008 6:46 pm UTC

Al Creed wrote:Not saying the movie will suck, I think an Arrested Development movie is unnecessary. I think the Series Finale wrapped things up pretty nicely

I do not know what a movie would be like and yes the finale was excellent, but they left plenty that could be dealt with. Buster was in the ocean, the SEC was going after the family again, and Michael, GM, and George were fleeing to some island. I do not know where to go from there but that is why I am no writer, especially for AD. I actually have not re-watched AD in a while but I am pretty sure that is where they left off.
I wanted a signature. I don't know what to put here yet.

une see
Is my girl

Postby une see » Sun Jul 06, 2008 5:15 pm UTC

Fuck yes. FUCK YES. I am of the belief that this movie will turn out absolutely, mind-blowingly, amazing. Oh, yes. I will laugh and laugh.
T.S. Eliot in "The Waste Land" wrote:APRIL is the cruellest month, breeding
Lilacs out of the dead land, mixing
Memory and desire, stirring
Dull roots with spring rain.

tritonomachy

Postby tritonomachy » Wed Jul 09, 2008 2:52 am UTC

Al Creed wrote:Not saying the movie will suck, I think an Arrested Development movie is unnecessary. I think the Series Finale wrapped things up pretty nicely

Exactly. Although I would pay good money to see 90 minutes of Buster v. loose seal.
Some Internet Bullshit

kanavazk

Postby kanavazk » Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:42 pm UTC

tritonomachy wrote:

Exactly. Although I would pay good money to see 90 minutes of Buster v. loose seal.

Yes, tha'd be awesome
THIS IS FROM THE INTERENT!

Lt Greatsocks

Postby Lt Greatsocks » Thu Jul 10, 2008 2:59 pm UTC

Here is my amazing contribution to the thread.

I think it will be a good movie.
Fuck you, I'm the Crowing.

Return to “Movies and TV Shows”