Go Team Venture!

Rot your brains, then rot our boards

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Boxcar Aldous Huxley

Go Team Venture!

Postby Boxcar Aldous Huxley » Wed Jul 02, 2008 12:26 pm UTC

So we're well into the third season now; I'd say its entirely appropriate to have a Venture Bros. thread. I'm interested in the more storyline and continuity-based approach they're taking this season, although it's been a little uneven so far. I'd love to see a more standalone episode at some point. Also, I don't think they've used the title of this thread yet; that would be nice...

Best ep. of the season (so far): The Doctor is Sin, pretty much solely for Dr. Orpheus's overacting and Dr. Henry Killinger.
Worst: The Invisible Hand of Fate. More backstory than I needed.

How's the season going for everyone else?
"I was thrown out of NYU my freshman year. I cheated on my Metaphysics final. I looked within the soul of the boy sitting next to me." -Woody Allen

EsotericWombat
Colorful Orator

Re: Go Team Venture!

Postby EsotericWombat » Thu Jul 03, 2008 2:44 am UTC

Bite your tongue man. Hunter Gathers is the shit and every instant he is on the screen is fucking gold

Jebobek

Postby Jebobek » Thu Jul 03, 2008 6:49 pm UTC

This is going to be a rough ride of a thread if we start to go into characters and whos the best, because they are so damn diverse its amazing. The creators did such a fine job developing each person. This is why I think is such an amazing show. What drives me nuts is that theres these young whippersnappers that watch the simpsons starting from season 11 and tell me its awesome. I watch a few of these episodes and they're total crap because its the same nonsense with no real characters coming out anymore. Damn that makes me feel old. Wait what were we talking about?

Sprocket
Seymour

Postby Sprocket » Thu Jul 03, 2008 7:48 pm UTC

EsotericWombat wrote:Bite your tongue man. Hunter Gathers is the shit and every instant he is on the screen is fucking gold
hear hear!
I was contemplating my Molatov costume last night. I think it's either gotta be a wet suit or something from American Apparel.
http://store.americanapparel.net/rsa8334.html practically done for me!
"She’s a free spirit, a wind-rider, she’s at one with nature, and walks with the kodama eidolons”
Zohar wrote: Down with the hipster binary! It's a SPECTRUM!

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Fri Jul 04, 2008 12:36 am UTC

I suppose it depends on how much you want to expose
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Sprocket
Seymour

Postby Sprocket » Sun Jul 06, 2008 12:56 am UTC

SecondTalon wrote:I suppose it depends on how much you want to expose
man, and they all have better tits than me.
"She’s a free spirit, a wind-rider, she’s at one with nature, and walks with the kodama eidolons”

EsotericWombat
Colorful Orator

Postby EsotericWombat » Sun Jul 06, 2008 1:13 am UTC

Bigger, yes. you're not nearly close enough to conclude that they're better, though

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Sun Jul 06, 2008 4:40 pm UTC

Of course, it is a cartoon character, meaning her proportions and costuming are inherently screwed up anyway.
Spoiler:
venture2screen3.jpg

The costuming is mostly about red hair, eyepatchs, and skintight black jumpsuits. Not to mention I'm pretty sure you could pull it off, Sprocket.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

H.E.L.e.N.
Cheesy-tuna-bacon-pickle?

Postby H.E.L.e.N. » Sun Jul 06, 2008 8:37 pm UTC

Boxcar Aldous Huxley wrote:Best ep. of the season (so far): The Doctor is Sin, pretty much solely for Dr. Orpheus's overacting and Dr. Henry Killinger.
Worst: The Invisible Hand of Fate. More backstory than I needed.

There is no such thing as too much backstory.*

I thought Doctor is Sin was kind of a letdown, just because Killinger doesn't amuse me that much. I like when things build on each other. I like how Hatred is arching Venture just to get back at Monarch. I like how Dean is (in his Dean way) growing a pair (whaling on Kid-Obnoxious-probably-spawn-of-Brock). The Triad's safety presentation during Buddy System was a great moment.

Oh and I like how I can watch it online on like Friday instead of waiting for Sunday night.

*I'm waiting for some more-fleshed-out flashbacks of Myra, meself...

EsotericWombat
Colorful Orator

Postby EsotericWombat » Sun Jul 06, 2008 9:19 pm UTC

What I love about that episode is the notion that Killenger may actually be Henry Kissenger in the Venture universe, as opposed to a caricature of him (he mentioned giving Nixon his first power tie). Also, it's hard to know whether he's pursuing his own ends, working on behalf of the Guild to find an arch for JJ, acting on JJ's instructions, effectively eliminating any anemic competition his brother may have offered for government contracts--Rusty still on occasion falls bass ackwards into a cash cow, such as the Venturestein--as well as landing a high profile archnemisis for PR purposes and giving his brother a leg up in a "teach a man to fish" sense. Or he might just be a freelance non-profit malefactor.

I can't wait for Myra backstory either. I want her, Molotov and Hunter Gathers to team up, but that's not exactly the likeliest thing in the world.

Also, I love the new avatar. Don't be surprised though if come September a bunch of us drag you to the Garment District so that the materials for making that costume a reality can be procured and make you a photo avatar.

H.E.L.e.N.

Postby H.E.L.e.N. » Mon Jul 07, 2008 3:04 am UTC

EsotericWombat wrote:Also, I love the new avatar. Don't be surprised though if come September a bunch of us drag you to the Garment District so that the materials for making that costume a reality can be procured and make you a photo avatar.

Thanks! I figured I'd at least have to do a pink mask for the next big forum meetup (I'm assuming some kind of anniversary thing for the Big Cambridge-Area September Meetup).

On-topic-ish: I've thought about my ability/willingness to costume a Venture character. The only thing I think I could feasibly do well is, well, if I slick my hair back, weird things can happen. But that costume is (a) a fuckton of work, (b) a level of dorkdom I don't feel I can achieve safely.

EsotericWombat
Colorful Orator

Postby EsotericWombat » Mon Jul 07, 2008 4:42 am UTC

You could always go for one of his early, less-involved costumes and say that you're dressed as him "before he sold out."

H.E.L.e.N.

Postby H.E.L.e.N. » Mon Jul 07, 2008 6:08 am UTC

Or a prison jumpsuit.

Blokey

Postby Blokey » Fri Jul 11, 2008 5:28 am UTC

Oh my, yes!
VB is such a ridiculously good programme. They're doing a great job of giving us stand-alones and backstory, and the fact that they're already greenlit for a fourth season means there's not gonna be any rushing of story-lines, and it is going to be sweet! Super-sweet, even. Considering their eagerness to add new storyline while others are still hanging suggests a reassuring amount of confidence from Publick and Doc Hammer, and these two seasons.

Plus, they're making nice use of a lot of supporting characters. Colonel Gentlemen: 'Never let a woman drive your Aston, Jonesie! Woman handles a stick like it's got Herpes!' Oh, and the post-credits scene this week was f-ing hysterical.

Come to think of it, we're 6 episodes in and we haven't seen the present-day Phantom Limb properly yet. Friggin' cockteases.
Also, I wanna see King Gorilla again. Surprisingly loveable for a murderous, raping ape, isn't he?

edit: it's so pleasant to be in the kind of atmosphere where people are quite happy to dress up as cartoon characters. salut!
Only the tone of your own inner monologue separates a reading of superciliousness or philanthropy - Felstaff

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Fri Jul 11, 2008 11:30 pm UTC

Well, we did see phantom limb going after the Manitaur.

I really have enjoyed every episode this season. Each one, in my mind, better than the last.
I loved killinger the first time, and his resurgence was awesome (I don't think he's really a guild member. He's just freelance).
doogly wrote:On a scale of Mr Rogers to Fascism, how mean do you think we're being?
Belial wrote:My goal is to be the best brain infection any of you have ever had.

Blokey

Postby Blokey » Fri Jul 11, 2008 11:38 pm UTC

Much love for Killinger in this flathold.
"Compromise, my friend, is the essence of diplomacy. And diplomacy, is the cornerstone, of love. Sveet loove!"

Any UK fans here found any proxies which worked on the Adultswim.com site? Applying international borders to electronic media seems silly... so close, and yet...
All it'd take from Adultswim is just... *type type type click click click accept IP's from all countries* problem solved.

Just under 19 minutes left on torrenting the new episode. Been squirrelling away a bit of green all week for this. Super-psyched.
Only the tone of your own inner monologue separates a reading of superciliousness or philanthropy - Felstaff

cephalopod9

Postby cephalopod9 » Sat Jul 12, 2008 4:48 am UTC

Jessica wrote:Well, we did see phantom limb going after the Manitaur.

Was that
Spoiler:
a nod to Watchmen
? That's what I thought first, and I know they make all kinds of crazy refferences. Although it's a little hard to tell what they all are because they go pretty fast and the creators spend their commentary time talking about which characters they'd have sex with and the things fans send them.

H.E.L.e.N.

Postby H.E.L.e.N. » Sat Jul 12, 2008 3:39 pm UTC

Re: 'What goes down must come up': (and I'm not kidding on the spoiler, this is the one that airs sunday)

Spoiler:
In the end where M.U.T.H.E.R. is overdosing them with happy gas, I had this whole, 'oh shit, is that how Jonas Venture Sr. died' moment, but it looks like he escaped. Are we supposed to know who the old-guy-cult-leader in military garb is?

cephalopod9 wrote:

Was that
Spoiler:
a nod to Watchmen
? That's what I thought first, and I know they make all kinds of crazy refferences. Although it's a little hard to tell what they all are because they go pretty fast and the creators spend their commentary time talking about which characters they'd have sex with and the things fans send them.

I don't know, but I like the wikipedia explanation that Queen Etherea's costume is a reference to Silk Spectre II.

Blokey

Postby Blokey » Sat Jul 12, 2008 11:10 pm UTC

helen wrote:Re: 'What goes down must come up': (and I'm not kidding on the spoiler, this is the one that airs sunday)

Spoiler:
In the end where M.U.T.H.E.R. is overdosing them with happy gas, I had this whole, 'oh shit, is that how Jonas Venture Sr. died' moment, but it looks like he escaped. Are we supposed to know who the old-guy-cult-leader in military garb is?

Hmm, I don't think so, I didn't recognise him.

It's such a shame we didn't end up seeing Orpheus' Master in this one. Close (very!) but no dice. "I taste my own genitals. In my mouth. It's... a conundrum."

Good episode, haven't properly taken it in yet, though. Has anyone else been reading Todd Alcott's analyses of the episodes? He's a screenwriter, and he's done an interpretation for every episode. Check 'em out, you'll take something new away from each of them, there's some really good stuff in there.

H.E.L.e.N.

Postby H.E.L.e.N. » Mon Jul 21, 2008 7:35 pm UTC

I'm tempted to change my location to "the empire to house the machine to kick your ass."

Blokey: thanks for that link.

Blokey

Postby Blokey » Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:40 pm UTC

No prob.

And bob almighty, that episode was freaking sweet!

Thoughts:
Spoiler:
1 - Hank knows he can't die! This is gonna be fun. Also, responding to this knowledge with 'give me the prize!'? classic.
2. I feel kinda bad about Dr Dugong (Duuugong!). He was so well-meaning, but tragically lame.
3. that scene with GUARDO... is there a question on the Myers-Brigg test about that sort of thing?
4. Monarch arching Jonas? Yes please, sir. So, Rusty'll get jealous. Possibly stepping things up with Sgt. Hatred. Which'll make the Monarch even more jealous. It's gonna be a dangerous game of cat and cat!

cephalopod9

Postby cephalopod9 » Tue Jul 22, 2008 8:40 am UTC

helen wrote:
cephalopod9 wrote:

Was that
Spoiler:
a nod to Watchmen
? .

I don't know, but I like the wikipedia explanation that Queen Etherea's costume is a reference to Silk Spectre II.

That makes sense, and it looks like there are a couple Watchmen refferences I missed. The "cultural references" lists on the episode pages are insane.
"Hank says "Frith help us," a reference to the rabbit theology used in Watership Down and its sequel."

Blokey

Postby Blokey » Thu Aug 07, 2008 1:26 am UTC

Okay, so:

Now Museum, Now You Don't was a fun little cocktail of characters, and it was nice to see Colonel Gentleman again. "That's for giving me a coma, you fickle ponce!"

But The Lepidopterists cranked it up a notch. The Monarch, not only being competent, but downright brilliant? Awesome. Ah, you can practically hear those plot gears in motion.
That whole thing with numbers 1, 21 and 24 was freaking great. In the hands of lesser men, those self-aware moments would be smarmy, but bobdamn Doc and Publick do it so fine.

Also: "If that were a woman, I'd marry her."
"And I'd jeapordize our friendship by nailing your hot wife."
HA!

Anyways, somebody has leaked Sundays episode. It's missing the credits, but does contain the pre and post-credits scenes. It's also apparently missing ~45 seconds somewhere, but I've watched this twice and it seemed seamless anyhoo. So, if like me, you need a fix and don't live in the states, enjoy! I will mention and spoil nothing. I will say only that I am super (SUPER) psyched about the two part finale.

H.E.L.e.N.

Postby H.E.L.e.N. » Sat Aug 09, 2008 3:49 am UTC

EPISODE ORB IS FREAKING AMAZING

WILL ELABORATE WHEN I REGAIN POWERS OF SPEECH.

CogDissident

Postby CogDissident » Mon Aug 11, 2008 8:25 pm UTC

Being a gigantic nerd, and having just been to otakon. I remember seeing a pair of people dressed as Hank and Dean (in rather good outfits) that spent a good 5 minutes doing the Mecha Shiva routine in the common area. I think that will be burned into my mind for a long time.

Blokey

Postby Blokey » Fri Aug 22, 2008 11:14 pm UTC

Kudos to anyone who has enough of the patience (and, imo, the crazies) to wait for Sunday for the finale. I won't spoil anything, but that was UN. FUCKING. BELIEVABLE.

Somewhere around the first 5 minutes my jaw dropped. And did not return to it's rightful position 'till some time after the episode was over. Eff me sideways :shock:

H.E.L.e.N.

Postby H.E.L.e.N. » Sat Aug 23, 2008 10:46 pm UTC

Spoiler:
Long live that blonde-haired, buttercream, frosted murder cake.

Narsil
Ask me about my junk!

Postby Narsil » Sun Aug 24, 2008 9:24 pm UTC

I'm at such a loss for words. Each season, the finales get more and more sublime until this, which was so many kinds of genius. I loved that everyone used each other, to varying degrees of success. And I love the direction Dean and Hank are taking as developing characters. Both of them are broken by their childhood and the sight of the clones, but hank's turned into a Rusty Venture caricature and Dean is internalizing the twisted conflict around him. I loved the line where he says "I can feel them dying." The writers have a way of getting things into the show that at first get played for laughs, but really can stop and make you think at times. "Viva Los Muertos!" was great for that. It's the one with Mystery, Inc. in it. Funny idea, but chilling in it's execution, I thought.
Last edited by Narsil on Sat Aug 30, 2008 5:33 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Spoiler:
EsotericWombat wrote:MORE JUNK THAN YOUR BODY HAS ROOM FOR

Mother Superior wrote:What's he got that I dont?
*sees Narsil's sig*
Oh... that.

H.E.L.e.N.

Postby H.E.L.e.N. » Mon Aug 25, 2008 4:10 am UTC

(who are you quoting?) Viva los muertos is one of my favorite episodes, for that reason. It's hilarious, but it shows you a lot about the characters and their screwy morality.

This finale, though, I was half expecting an oh god, my heart and the post-credits scene was more oooh, sick buuurrrn.

I didn't catch that "I feel part of myself dying along with them" part until I saw it a second time, but yeah. And Doc's "well, there goes my life's work." And it ups the stakes (and Hank most likely still thinks he's immortal, cuz 21 told him so...)

Spoiler:
Why would Hunter turn, though (aside from the fact that Hunter in that outfit is kind of hilarious?). Does that mean we can't trust him about the whole ORB ordeal?

Rusty's got the equipment to clone 24 (he made a goey pile of child from a shoe in under a day), but there's no real reason why he'd want to.

Blokey

Postby Blokey » Mon Aug 25, 2008 4:51 am UTC

Yeah, Viva Los Muertos is t'riffic.
Spoiler:
Hank's callback to that about opening his christmas gifts early... fuck me, the split-second of clarity where I understood the implication was possibly the most glorious thing I've seen on TV in awhile, if ever.

helen wrote:
Spoiler:
Why would Hunter turn, though (aside from the fact that Hunter in that outfit is kind of hilarious?). Does that mean we can't trust him about the whole ORB ordeal?

Rusty's got the equipment to clone 24 (he made a goey pile of child from a shoe in under a day), but there's no real reason why he'd want to.

Spoiler:
Not sure about Hunter. I think partly he wants to feel the thrill of the game again. It's kinda ambiguous how much of a betrayal it is. Hunter & Molotov gave him help at every opportunity, and if I were them (now there's a bizarre hypothetical) I wouldn't really feel Brock's life was that much in danger. Molotov & Hunter know exactly just how gosh-darned badass Brock is, they were using him, but it didn't seem intentionally malicious. I think what he said about ORB was correct though, judging by the flashbacks.

As far as 24's concerned (check out this week's shirt!), I think that's pretty much final. Season 1 they set up the premise and characters. Season 2 they built a consistent universe (the Guild, the OSI, the rules and all that jazz), but this season they've done nothing but mess with the status quo and shake the foundations. It's really matured.
Rusty's line to Hank about how 'you only live once' after their, um, army is decimated is another hint to that. Now we've got back a genuine sense of danger concerning the boys. With 21 and 24, they've spent this season being us, with their self-reference and awareness of cliche's. Lulled us/them into a false sense of security at first, and then boom! yummy! they pull the rug out from under us. Season 4 is gonna be a brave honest season.

Plus, you just know that 21's arc next season is going to be freaking epic. I think he's gonna get his shit together, and realise/actualise/new-age-buzzword-of-your-choice himself as the Viceroy. It's gonna be a beautiful mix of despair and revenge. My guess is it was the Moppets, but then again, it seems so obvious that I inevitably have the thought that Doc & Jackson may throw a curve-ball on that one.

And now we have to wait a year. And of course, everyone's theory about everything will turn out to be wrong, heh.

Edit:
Spoiler:
Oh, and when 21 asks 24 why he would buckle the belt, isn't his reply of 'I don't knooow' so achingly, tragically delivered? Normally, anything he says in that tone of voice cracks my shit up no end, but dizzamn, I'm still feeling the pain.

H.E.L.e.N.

Postby H.E.L.e.N. » Mon Aug 25, 2008 5:31 am UTC

Blokey wrote:
Spoiler:
Not sure about Hunter. I think partly he wants to feel the thrill of the game again. It's kinda ambiguous how much of a betrayal it is. Hunter & Molotov gave him help at every opportunity, and if I were them (now there's a bizarre hypothetical) I wouldn't really feel Brock's life was that much in danger. Molotov & Hunter know exactly just how gosh-darned badass Brock is, they were using him, but it didn't seem intentionally malicious. I think what he said about ORB was correct though, judging by the flashbacks.

Spoiler:
See, I *want* to flat-out believe that Kano killed Dr. Venture Sr., but that info about the bodyguard having to kill Venture if he activated it came from Hunter...although we see Sandow kill the colonel, so yeah. I haven't thought this through entirely.
BUT. The car goes crazy when Brock asks about 'orders regarding bodyguard.' If the OSI *wasn't* involved, either Molotov or (more likely) Hunter rigged the car?
I do think you're right on both counts, though. Molotov's using Brock cuz that's what she does, Hunter in his crazy way knows Brock will survive because they're both crazy. And I don't think Hunter much cares about anybody else who gets blasted away in the process.

Blokey wrote:
Spoiler:
Rusty's line to Hank about how 'you only live once' after their, um, army is decimated is another hint to that. Now we've got back a genuine sense of danger concerning the boys.

Spoiler:
And that's really exciting. And they're minus a Brock, at least for a bit. And Hank is still under the delusion that he's immortal. Wait, I said that already. Still. Daaaanger.

Blokey wrote:
Spoiler:
Plus, you just know that 21's arc next season is going to be freaking epic. I think he's gonna get his shit together, and realise/actualise/new-age-buzzword-of-your-choice himself as the Viceroy.

Spoiler:
OH HOT DAMN YES.

Blokey

Postby Blokey » Mon Aug 25, 2008 10:41 am UTC

helen wrote:
Spoiler:
See, I *want* to flat-out believe that Kano killed Dr. Venture Sr., but that info about the bodyguard having to kill Venture if he activated it came from Hunter...although we see Sandow kill the colonel, so yeah. I haven't thought this through entirely.

Spoiler:
Aha! Kano says only that his silence was his choice and that he had taken from this world a great man. When Brock flat out asks him if he killed the 'great Dr. Venture Sr.', he goes mute. Could be guilt, could be avoidance. Except, Kano was mute even when Venture Sr. was alive. So perhaps he killed Dr. Venture Sr. Sr.? And holy crap, I just this second noticed that that would make him the Great-Dr. Venture Sr.

That much I think is plausible, here is where I descend into rampant speculation: Going by the timeline, if Wilde, Crowley, Clemens & Tesla were alive, this puts it extremely close to the turn of the century. Season 2 puts Rusty's age at 44 (20 Years to Midnight), so if S2 is roughly 2006, then Rusty was born in 1962, making sense 'cause in the opening flashback for Now Museum Now You Don't, Brainulo states it's 1969 (most people on the net seem to think the bleeping of 'sixty' is supposed to be hiding a clue, but all bleeping does is draw attention to it. i just thought he said 'shitty' 'cause he was pissed off...) and the young Rusty we see is what, 8 or so? Right, so, he would have been 19 around 1981, when his father died. Say Jonas was 45-ish, that seems reasonable. So, go back 35 years when it's likely that Jonas Sr. was boy-adventuring with his father and we find ourselves in the 40's. Between the turn of the century and the 40's we have, I think, a missing Venture generation.

So maybe Kano killed that Dr. Venture. I know it's stretching Kano's age a bit, but he was already grown-up/old during the 60's. Maybe out of guilt, after killing 40's-era Venture, he vowed to protect young Jonas Sr., thus his role in the original Team Venture. I know I'm stretching it here, but Kano's age is the only blurry point here. Here comes the delicious bit:

"My father was a superscientist, and his father before him, and his - wait, no, I think he was a milliner." Even if that was a throwaway line at the time (I can't remember which episode this quote was from, was it this season?) Doc & Jackson weave in as much of this stuff as possible. According to Wikipedia:
A milliner is a hatter who designs, makes, sells or trims hats and dresses. Customers would visit a millinery shop to look at and to buy clothes (children's clothing, shirts, undergarments and caps, for example) Millinery, if taken in a more general sense, also means any accoutrements that are functionally unnecessary, such as a garnish on a dish, or the extra cuff-buttons on a man's dress jacket.

ORB!

Then again, they did warn us about using Wikipedia as a source... anyone got an old timey dictionarie?

helen wrote:
Spoiler:
BUT. The car goes crazy when Brock asks about 'orders regarding bodyguard.' If the OSI *wasn't* involved, either Molotov or (more likely) Hunter rigged the car?

Spoiler:
My money's on Molotov, if only for that knowingly cheeky (and sexy... rowr!) way she says 'car trouble?'

helen wrote:
Spoiler:
And that's really exciting. And they're minus a Brock, at least for a bit. And Hank is still under the delusion that he's immortal. Wait, I said that already. Still. Daaaanger.

Spoiler:
Bobs yes! I'm really hoping they go somewhere with Hank's 'i am the one!' revelation. And maybe Hatred'll be their new bodyguard? They did have quite a nice dynamic between them in the panic room. Speaking of which, was Dean's 'heart problem' a throwaway thing or what...? so many questions, so much time to be driven mad by them.

Any thoughts as to what the theme for the Season 4 credits will be? We've had the young brothers Venture, the old brothers Venture, and then a Monarch/Dr. Girlfriend one. Could it possibly be
Spoiler:
Hunter & Molotov? Granted, they've never been the direct subjects of a full-on plot arc, but I can't think of other possibilities, short of an ode to 24...
Or they could just use the opportunity to fuck with us completely and make it Moppet-centric :P

So. In conclusion, Doc Hammer & Jackson Publick can have my crazy space-babies.

mosc
Doesn't care what you think.

Postby mosc » Mon Aug 25, 2008 5:34 pm UTC

This show got incredible somewhere along the way. I can't put my finger on it but it's really cowboy bebop level awesome. I especially enjoy the character development. Every character is so complex and is forced to re-think themselves so much it's awesome. Of course, the cynical humor is so painfully wonderful, I tear up.
Title: It was given by the XKCD moderators to me because they didn't care what I thought (I made some rantings, etc). I care what YOU think, the joke is forums.xkcd doesn't care what I think.

Kag

Postby Kag » Tue Aug 26, 2008 2:49 am UTC

Blokey wrote:
Spoiler:
Hunter & Molotov? Granted, they've never been the direct subjects of a full-on plot arc, but I can't think of other possibilities, short of an ode to 24...
Or they could just use the opportunity to fuck with us completely and make it Moppet-centric :P

Spoiler:
[24 voice]Oh come on, there's no way 24 is really dead! It would be crazy for Jackson and Doc to break up the Disastrous Duo at this point.[/24 voice]
The Great Hippo wrote:I am starting to regret having used 'goat-fucker' in this context.

cephalopod9

Postby cephalopod9 » Tue Aug 26, 2008 4:49 am UTC

Blokey wrote:
helen wrote:
Spoiler:

Spoiler:
Bobs yes! I'm really hoping they go somewhere with Hank's 'i am the one!' revelation. And maybe Hatred'll be their new bodyguard? They did have quite a nice dynamic between them in the panic room. Speaking of which, was Dean's 'heart problem' a throwaway thing or what...? so many questions, so much time to be driven mad by them.

Spoiler:
I think Dean's having a panic attack there. I don't think anything is explained, but they do that sort of thing a lot.

Sprocket
Seymour

Postby Sprocket » Wed Aug 27, 2008 6:45 pm UTC

I watched all of seasons one and two in rappid sucession this past fall and loved the show of course, however I noticed a distinct change from season one to two, the characters were more fun, the lines were better, and the happenings were just a bit more awesome in season one. Season two made some bold choices and held some really itneresting surprises and did some different things with the characters, but things became a little softer around the edges. Overall I liked season two, but I prefered season one.

Then season three came along, bold start, things seemed to be going along fine, even if they seemed to think that talking about sex, no matter how hard they didn't try, was just alaways funny, there were other redeeming things going on...and then suddenly there was a blatant change in episode 10. The writing wasn't as good, the action was a bit more half-cocked, and things just stopped being funny. Episode 11 definitely was a bit more what I was used to, but the lines that were shoved into characters mouths, and their reactions to things just didn't make any sense...and does anyone else think Brock Sampson actually looked physically smaller than normal? The "softer side of Sampson" approach from season two was really interesting and all, but it seems they toned him down in all respects for season three.

I felt a bit like starting with episode 10, the Venture brothers took a sudden turn much like we see in the non-Jhonen Vasquez era Invader Zim, and Ren and Stimpy when it's creator left the show as well. Even the art starts to look different. Does anyone else know if there were staff changes besides Colbert leaving? (as far as I know he had no writing credits, just voice, so I don't think that would do it.)

I have noticed a pattern with my being "Eh" about certain epsiodes and Doc Hammer's involvement.

H.E.L.e.N.

Postby H.E.L.e.N. » Fri Aug 29, 2008 3:15 am UTC

I think I'm the exact opposite of Sprocket.

I watched everything in a couple of big lumps and I wasn't really into it until the last couple episodes of season one (which kind of kick off the plot-crazy of season two). I found season three awesome but I have to go back and pause and see what they're referring to and be all involved and stuff. I think the episode 10 you're referring to is Lepidopterists which I thought was really funny, and the stuff I find 'eh' correlates with a lack of Doc Hammer's involvement. :mrgreen:

Blokey

Postby Blokey » Fri Aug 29, 2008 3:31 am UTC

I watched the first two seasons in the space of 2-3 days, and thought there were a couple of (compared to the others) weak episodes in season 1, and definitely preferred season 2. Unity of vision and all that. Loved the Phantom Limb/Dr. Girlfriend/Monarch love-triangle. Season 3 has just blown my mind. If the trend continues in this manner, season 4 might well make me prem.

I'm with Helen on generally preferring Doc's stuff. Though I thought they've both being hitting home runs all of season 3. Swish!

H.E.L.e.N.

Postby H.E.L.e.N. » Fri Aug 29, 2008 3:48 pm UTC

So I was re-watching some stuff and making some connections and holy crap @ wombat:

EsotericWombat wrote:I can't wait for Myra backstory either. I want her, Molotov and Hunter Gathers to team up, but that's not exactly the likeliest thing in the world.

Spoiler:
If you look at what Myra's wearing when she's introduced in season two, it looks like a beat-up, re-sewn Blackhearts uniform.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Fri Aug 29, 2008 7:00 pm UTC

Regarding older stuff.. specifically season 2
Spoiler:
Did Triana's friend, Kim, ever reappear? I admit I didn't catch all of the episodes of Season 3.

Return to “Movies and TV Shows”