Rot your brains, then rot our boards

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

H.E.L.e.N.
Cheesy-tuna-bacon-pickle?

Re: Go Team Venture!

Postby H.E.L.e.N. » Fri Aug 29, 2008 7:36 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:Regarding older stuff.. specifically season 2
Spoiler:
Did Triana's friend, Kim, ever reappear? I admit I didn't catch all of the episodes of Season 3.

She's not in season 3, and I don't think they'll be much of her, ever. My understanding is that there were plans to develop her more in season 2 that got cut, and they're not interested in revisiting it.

citation:
http://video.yahoo.com/watch/2625593/7717868 @ 1:25
and
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=j89qqdqKnyI

yes i have had a lot of time on my hands lately.

Narsil
Ask me about my junk!

Postby Narsil » Sat Aug 30, 2008 5:48 am UTC

helen wrote:I think I'm the exact opposite of Sprocket.

I watched everything in a couple of big lumps and I wasn't really into it until the last couple episodes of season one (which kind of kick off the plot-crazy of season two). I found season three awesome but I have to go back and pause and see what they're referring to and be all involved and stuff. I think the episode 10 you're referring to is Lepidopterists which I thought was really funny, and the stuff I find 'eh' correlates with a lack of Doc Hammer's involvement. :mrgreen:
Lepidopterists was my absolute favorite episode of season 3, hands down. Everything just came together for an episode that worked so well. The monarch moves further into a dynamic character, the OSI is fleshed out a bit more, there's finally some elaboration to the seemingly pointless competition between hero and villain, and Mr. Doe and Mr. Cardholder just fucking rock.

I feel like I have to watch ORB again though. I came off at first a little unfazed, but there's a lot of glowing things being said about it so I probably missed something.

and @ Dean's "heart problem", I think that's there to draw a parallel between the two boys. Hank's being sucked into the insanity of the world around him, as Dean is being pushed to the level of our world. He's still having trouble digesting the idea of the clones, and also has been pretty removed from most people. He didn't get the time with Brock or Brock's son (?) that Hank got. I want Trianna and Orpheus to come back to see this go somewhere.
Spoiler:
EsotericWombat wrote:MORE JUNK THAN YOUR BODY HAS ROOM FOR

Mother Superior wrote:What's he got that I dont?
*sees Narsil's sig*
Oh... that.

Klapaucius

Postby Klapaucius » Tue Sep 02, 2008 9:55 pm UTC

Why hasn't anyone commented on the biggest line of the bunker scene: when Sgt. Hatred says, "We're all hiding from our true natures!"
That sums it up perfectly. T.S. Venture is too busy grousing in his father's shadow to become the badass super-scientist that he is capable of being (Killinger was trying to bring that out, even if he took it a little too far); Hank is slowly emerging from his shadow to become the next Brock; Dean is... well, just like his old man, in that Dr. Venture has become his own Jonas; and Sgt. Hatred is emerging from a sham of a marriage and a sham of an arching. To take it even further: Jonas has the same problem as Rusty--he's trying too hard to be his father to be his own scientist--but instead of becoming a likable loser, he's becoming a despicable celebrity; 21 and 24 couldn't reach their full potential because they were holding each other back (that's why they were so hostile towards 24--he was what they could be without each other), the Monarch is too busy trying to conform to his wife's expectations to do what he really wants, which is to be the cat to T.S. Venture's also-cat; the Moppets are little knify sacks of pure Oedipal hatred; and Orpheus has been palling around with his new supergroup at the expense of his magical powers (doesn't he seem weaker than he used to be?)
The third season was about the veils over every one of the characters, and how they must be lifted. The fourth will be about the lifting of the veils, and each character's ascension to awesomeness. This is why Brock, the most awesome main character, must retreat to the sidelines: so that the others (especially Hank, Dean, Thaddeus, and the Viceroy) can realize their full potential.
500%!

Blokey

Postby Blokey » Thu Sep 04, 2008 4:25 pm UTC

Swish! James Urbaniak has posted an animatic of the alternate ending to the season finale on his blog (!) Won't spoil it for ya, but it would've been an interesting direction to take. Enjoy!
Only the tone of your own inner monologue separates a reading of superciliousness or philanthropy - Felstaff

Boxcar Aldous Huxley

Postby Boxcar Aldous Huxley » Tue Sep 09, 2008 3:20 am UTC

Blokey wrote:Swish! James Urbaniak has posted an animatic of the alternate ending to the season finale on his blog (!) Won't spoil it for ya, but it would've been an interesting direction to take. Enjoy!

Spoiler:
*Big sigh* But of course. It would certainly have been interesting though...
"I was thrown out of NYU my freshman year. I cheated on my Metaphysics final. I looked within the soul of the boy sitting next to me." -Woody Allen

cephalopod9

Postby cephalopod9 » Thu Sep 11, 2008 4:19 am UTC

...I thought I commented yesterday, but I guess not. Did I post a comment in the wrong thread?

Anyways, I like that analysis of the showhere.

nategri

Postby nategri » Mon Sep 29, 2008 4:52 am UTC

I love VB to freakin death but I have to say I was a little disappointed to detect what I thought was a continuity error in ep. 1 of season three.

This episode puts the Monarch in a position where he clearly knows about the past relationship between Phantom Limb and Dr. Girlfriend. Yet in "Tag Sale - You're it!" from season 1 (I think that's the title) when the Monarch spots Dr. Girlfriend with Phantom Limb he says something like "Who's that guy? Didn't you used to live next to him... or something?" and she says "Oh, he's nobody" or something like that.

Anyway it's not like it ruins the show for me or anything but I'd love it if someone could explain this away so it does bother me anymore.
SouporScience.com - Science and Other Cool Stuff. But no soup.
http://www.souporscience.com/

Jasiel

Postby Jasiel » Fri Oct 03, 2008 3:20 am UTC

DID SOMEONE SAY..
MECHA SHIVA?
SCIENCE.
"It works, bitches."

mosc
Doesn't care what you think.

Postby mosc » Mon Oct 06, 2008 5:08 am UTC

That's what you get for going after my googly eyes!
Title: It was given by the XKCD moderators to me because they didn't care what I thought (I made some rantings, etc). I care what YOU think, the joke is forums.xkcd doesn't care what I think.

H.E.L.e.N.
Cheesy-tuna-bacon-pickle?

Postby H.E.L.e.N. » Wed Oct 08, 2008 6:15 pm UTC

nategri wrote:I love VB to freakin death but I have to say I was a little disappointed to detect what I thought was a continuity error in ep. 1 of season three.

This episode puts the Monarch in a position where he clearly knows about the past relationship between Phantom Limb and Dr. Girlfriend. Yet in "Tag Sale - You're it!" from season 1 (I think that's the title) when the Monarch spots Dr. Girlfriend with Phantom Limb he says something like "Who's that guy? Didn't you used to live next to him... or something?" and she says "Oh, he's nobody" or something like that.

Anyway it's not like it ruins the show for me or anything but I'd love it if someone could explain this away so it does bother me anymore.

I'll take a stab at it, because...nerdboard.

In the scene from season one, the monarch's being a dick. Monarch knows there was stuff going on there, but Dr. G. doesn't know he knows (at that point, Dr. G has no idea monarch once henched for Phantom), so he's pushing her to see whether she'll reveal anything. He's obviously not "nobody," or that exchange never would have happened.

Blokey

Postby Blokey » Sun Aug 23, 2009 11:01 am UTC

Doctor Ladies and Gentlemenoconda, Jackson Publick cordially presents: the freaking season 4 trailer!
First half of the new season to air in November, with the second half airing next summer. I am super-psyched.
Only the tone of your own inner monologue separates a reading of superciliousness or philanthropy - Felstaff

BigBoss

Postby BigBoss » Sun Aug 23, 2009 6:17 pm UTC

I can't wait for season four. I didn't really start watching Venture Bros untill season three, and I've been watching the re-runs to catch up.
You don't give up hope just because something's hopeless. You cover up your ears, and talk really loud.

Tampons could be used to stop a nosebleed! - Tillian

folkhero

Postby folkhero » Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:14 pm UTC

Blokey wrote:Doctor Ladies and Gentlemenoconda, Jackson Publick cordially presents: the freaking season 4 trailer!
First half of the new season to air in November, with the second half airing next summer. I am super-psyched.

Oh man, I can't wait for season 4 after seeing that.
Spoiler:
I'm gonna miss 24 so much :cry:
To all law enforcement entities, this is not an admission of guilt...

BigBoss

Postby BigBoss » Thu Aug 27, 2009 1:00 am UTC

Spoiler:
21 could get Dr. Venture to clone 24.
You don't give up hope just because something's hopeless. You cover up your ears, and talk really loud.

folkhero

Postby folkhero » Thu Aug 27, 2009 5:26 pm UTC

BigBoss wrote:
Spoiler:
21 could get Dr. Venture to clone 24.

Spoiler:
Don't you need to have the person's memories and personality and stuff backed up to get a 'same person' style clone. As opposed to a real life sort of clone, which would basically be an identical twin version of 24 with a potentially completely different personality and no memory of his friendship with 21. Also, why would Dr. Venture do that? I don't remember which stage of grief denial is, but you need to move on to the next one. We'll all get through this together.

Blokey

Postby Blokey » Thu Aug 27, 2009 5:32 pm UTC

Spoiler:
Exactly. Also, Word of Bob is that he's dead, it's final, there will be no cheap cop-outs. Which is why they also killed off all the boys' clones. Anyway, I'll miss 24 as much or more than the next fan, but Jackson and Doc know what they're doing. Plus, with him really gone, we'll get to enjoy 21 go through all the stages of grief and maybe even go all Viceroy revenge-trip on the Moppets. Grargh, November can't get here soon enough.

crucialityfactor
Ry-Ry

Postby crucialityfactor » Mon Oct 19, 2009 12:07 am UTC

Oh man...I am so excited for season 4. I've been re-watching the seasons all week. This season is going to be a shit-show by all accounts.

Some predictions:

Spoiler:
Kim will in fact reappear as a part of Hunter's troupe of crazy assassin chicks

Dr. Venture and Dr. Girlfriend will hook up.

Orpheus will continue to be the most ridiculous person on the show.

Moppets will continue to be assholes.

Baby Dr. The Monarch?

crucialityfactor
Ry-Ry

Postby crucialityfactor » Mon Oct 19, 2009 4:30 am UTC

And...all predictions and null and void. Damn them...they live breath and eat venture bros, who was I to think I could guess their intentions?!

folkhero

Postby folkhero » Mon Oct 19, 2009 8:10 am UTC

So, here's what happened to me watching the season premiere. They show the first half of the episode, then the commercial break, then the first half of the episode again. I was double pissed. I would have been about times 10 pissed of if it weren't for TiVo and a second airing of the episode at 4 AM.

Just wondering: did anyone else have this problem?

mosc
Doesn't care what you think.

Postby mosc » Mon Oct 19, 2009 2:22 pm UTC

Wait, there's a new season out? God damn you internet, I got no warning!
Title: It was given by the XKCD moderators to me because they didn't care what I thought (I made some rantings, etc). I care what YOU think, the joke is forums.xkcd doesn't care what I think.

crucialityfactor
Ry-Ry

Postby crucialityfactor » Mon Oct 19, 2009 4:44 pm UTC

folkhero wrote:So, here's what happened to me watching the season premiere. They show the first half of the episode, then the commercial break, then the first half of the episode again. I was double pissed. I would have been about times 10 pissed of if it weren't for TiVo and a second airing of the episode at 4 AM.

No, that is bizarre...where are you located?

BigBoss

Postby BigBoss » Mon Oct 19, 2009 5:02 pm UTC

Adult Swim posted on facebook that the west coast feed was messed up. They also said that to make up for it, they would be re-airing the premier mon-thurs at 12:30 a.m.

rpgamer

Postby rpgamer » Tue Oct 20, 2009 11:13 pm UTC

folkhero wrote:So, here's what happened to me watching the season premiere. They show the first half of the episode, then the commercial break, then the first half of the episode again. I was double pissed. I would have been about times 10 pissed of if it weren't for TiVo and a second airing of the episode at 4 AM.

Cartoon Network in general was having problems for the entire west coast feed. I've heard they played an hour or so of commercials around 9 pm.

You just live in the wrong time zone.
All it takes is one bad day to reduce the sanest man alive to lunacy. That's how far the world is from where I am. Just one bad day.

BigBoss

Postby BigBoss » Mon Dec 14, 2009 5:36 am UTC

Season Finale

Spoiler:
24 is back! as a ghost.

ekstasis

Postby ekstasis » Mon Dec 14, 2009 10:22 am UTC

BigBoss wrote:Season Finale

Spoiler:
24 is back! as a ghost.

...Not strictly the "Season Finale." These were the first 8 episodes. The next set of 8 will start up again some time in the spring. Thankfully.

Related: Tonight's episode was absolutely wonderful for a whole host of reasons.

Klapaucius

Postby Klapaucius » Mon Dec 14, 2009 5:09 pm UTC

Maybe he's not a ghost. He does keep teasing 21 by suggesting he's become schizophrenic.

I wasn't so happy with this episode. It had its moments, but it just felt flat. My expectations were completely distorted by the Season Finale label, which probably ruined it for me, since I was expecting huge reveals, epic moments, and an actual tying together of plotlines (see: Cremation Creek) but instead got all those things I have been waiting to happen since the season opener.
500%!

Return to “Movies and TV Shows”