Most relaxing TV show ever?

Rot your brains, then rot our boards

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

sugarhyped

Re: Most relaxing TV show ever?

Postby sugarhyped » Fri Aug 08, 2008 4:11 am UTC

I like Spaced. It makes me lazy.
Firefly is awesome as well but it doesn't make me relaxed.

Scrubs. yes.
Idiotic mind-numbing reality shows such as surreal life or real world/road rules challenges. sadly yes.

I watch too much tv.
I wanted a signature. I don't know what to put here yet.

BobMacDhonnchaidh

Postby BobMacDhonnchaidh » Fri Aug 08, 2008 4:32 am UTC

Virgin's 3 hour Star Trek afternoon drive normally keeps me from contributing to society during the week.

That and Sky Sports News.
Thig crìoch air an t-saoghal ach mairidh gaol is ceòl

Help save us from 16 years of boredom!

folkhero

Postby folkhero » Sun Aug 10, 2008 7:37 am UTC

ishikiri wrote:
poleboy wrote:I find Star Trek:NG to be very relaxing. The pace is a bit slower than "modern" TV and the SFX aren't usually laughably bad. There's also a lot of talking compared to the amount of action. And the voice of Patrick Stewart is very comforting to me.

I have an idea for a new show:
A daytime chat show with Morgan Freeman & Patrick Stewart.

It would be somewhere between Loose Women and Jeremy Kyle.
They would have topical discussion first, possibly some reveiws and some guests. Then people could call in and ask for advice about their wayward teenagers. Then Morgan would say "Is the young man there? Could you put him on the phone please." Morgan would tell him a story starting with "When I was a boy", Patrick would offer some sage advice and the young man would be changed forever.

Because if Morgan Freeman told you a story from his boyhood and Patrick Stewart told you to sort your life out, you'd sort your life out.

this would be the best show ever. If someone didn't get their life together after this, humanity could give up all hope for him/her. Morgan Freeman has to be the most trustworthy celebrity one Earth, if he asked to borrow my wallet, I would give it to him without a question. My cousin was his personal assistant for a short time and she says that he is just as nice as he looks in the movies. Patrick Stewart is also awesome in a very sage-like way. Has anyone seen the version of 'a Christmas Carol' with Stewart as Scrooge? I think he is the best Scrooge that I've seen, plus Jimmy McNulty of 'The Wire' is his nephew.

Back on subject, I think Seinfeld has to be the most relaxing show for me. Even the fact that all the main characters are mildly depraved makes me more relaxed; they make me feel better about my own moral shortcomings. Friends is also pretty good for relaxation, but I have to be in a near-coma to actually watch it in the first place.
To all law enforcement entities, this is not an admission of guilt...

ishikiri

Postby ishikiri » Tue Aug 12, 2008 12:35 pm UTC

Have you seen Jeremy Kyle?

The Patrick Stewart thing makes more sense (and is funnier) if you've seen him.

He does a sort of Ricky/Montel type show but he usually winds up calling his guests scum and gives them a proper bollocking.
clintonius wrote:The "thwak thwak thwak" in this movie makes me think they cranked up a powerpoint slideshow of angry pictures set to the soundtrack of a furious masturbator.

poleboy

Postby poleboy » Wed Aug 13, 2008 7:55 am UTC

http://www.xkcd.com/462/

Forum posts inspire XKCD comic or psychic XKCDians predict future?

Discuss.

ishikiri

Postby ishikiri » Wed Aug 13, 2008 3:34 pm UTC

I had the same thought when I saw it.

Although Morgan Freeman has been on the news twice in the last couple of weeks (car-crash, broken-arm & divorce). I can hope though, I can hope!

Now I'm just waiting for that Patrick Stewart comic on friday!
clintonius wrote:The "thwak thwak thwak" in this movie makes me think they cranked up a powerpoint slideshow of angry pictures set to the soundtrack of a furious masturbator.

Kazuke

Postby Kazuke » Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:31 pm UTC

Eureka, Dirty Jobs, and How it's Made do it for me.

Avelion

Postby Avelion » Thu Aug 14, 2008 10:42 pm UTC

How it's made is extremely hypnotic.
"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana." -Cory Doctorow

cephalopod9

Postby cephalopod9 » Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:22 pm UTC

Charlie Rose,
it's like, no matter how bad things seem to be, we can still put on suits and have a civilized discussion about things. Especially with every other news and new related show getting more energetic and phrenetic, it's nice to have calm people around a table with a black background, talking about stuff.

tkdfreak

Postby tkdfreak » Wed Aug 20, 2008 4:12 pm UTC

House! I watched 4 seasons in 2 weeks when i first found it. Now i have it on all the time, good thing my roommates are equally obsessed. It just makes me feel at home. Its the only way i coped with moving to Beijing. I have it on now. ;) Very Formulated and you get to listen to Hugh Laurie talk for most of the show...

Jebobek

Postby Jebobek » Thu Aug 21, 2008 2:25 pm UTC

How its made. The only episode that was more exciting rather than relaxing was the one where they were making those Yule Log cakes for christmas time in Europe. I wanted to puch my hand through the screen and somehow grab 50 of them and put them all in my belly. Holy crap I was hungry after that.

But seriously, my whole family would go on vacation and they would have a 2 hr-long How its Made. All of a sudden theres 5 of us vegging out in front of the tv for all 4 episodes.

Force42

Postby Force42 » Sun Sep 07, 2008 6:07 pm UTC

Citizen K wrote:Seriously, nobody's mentioned The Joy of Painting? That show will relax you right into a happy little coma. :)

I LOVED that show when I was a little kid.

Also, anything on Food Network. Particularly, Good Eats, Iron Chef, and Ace of Cakes. For pretty much every show, each episode works as a stand-alone, so if you miss a few here and there, it doesn't matter because there's no story line that you need to understand to know what they are doing.

Boxcar Aldous Huxley

Postby Boxcar Aldous Huxley » Tue Sep 09, 2008 2:44 am UTC

Ohhh man, I'd forgotten about "How it's Made." I'd probably have gotten way more work done in college if I hadn't gotten hypnotized by that show every day at lunchtime... I especially like starting to watch in the middle of a segment, having no clue what they're making, than seeing, like, a tire shape pop out at the last minute. I'm starting to hear the theme music now...
"I was thrown out of NYU my freshman year. I cheated on my Metaphysics final. I looked within the soul of the boy sitting next to me." -Woody Allen

Return to “Movies and TV Shows”