HP6: "Half Blood Prince" Trailer

Rot your brains, then rot our boards

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Clumpy

HP6: "Half Blood Prince" Trailer

Postby Clumpy » Sun Aug 03, 2008 11:00 am UTC

Don't bother going to "The Mummy" to see it - the new Harry Potter trailer is online and it kicks. It's obviously tailor-made for fans of the books. I could have done without the flashes of young Tom as Voldemort near the end but no trailer is perfect:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wtq5kGmzs8E

EDIT: Gad, I'm a douche. Don't bother watching it on YouTube: Higher-Quality Quicktime Link

Sir_Elderberry

Re: HP6: "Half Blood Prince" Trailer

Postby Sir_Elderberry » Sun Aug 03, 2008 2:06 pm UTC

I wonder how much of the general public doesn't know the ending? Because I imagine this we reignite the spoiler campaign if it's too many.
http://www.geekyhumanist.blogspot.com -- Science and the Concerned Voter
Belial wrote:You are the coolest guy that ever cooled.

I reiterate. Coolest. Guy.

Well. You heard him.

Kaelri

Postby Kaelri » Sun Aug 03, 2008 8:53 pm UTC

I... am optimistic.

I have not been a fan of this series in the past. And I'm speaking as a devout fan of the books - I read the first one when I was eleven, so I've really grown up with them - like the rest of my generation, I guess - making the crushing disappointment of the earlier movies all the harder to take. Things were looking up around Prisoner of Azkaban, but then they turned around and gave us the tangled pile of dizzy plot vignettes that was Goblet of Fire, and I was ready to give up.

Order of the Phoenix, however, gave me a real glimpse of hope - it showed significant, intelligent improvement in all areas, especially cinematography and tasteful special effects. And if this trailer is any indication, they may have finally unlocked the secrets of character and atmosphere. I'm still riding high on The Dark Knight, so I won't get ahead of myself, but I get the sense that this once has a real shot at earning its place as a good film.

Malice

Postby Malice » Sun Aug 03, 2008 9:17 pm UTC

Kaelri wrote:Order of the Phoenix, however, gave me a real glimpse of hope - it showed significant, intelligent improvement in all areas, especially cinematography and tasteful special effects. And if this trailer is any indication, they may have finally unlocked the secrets of character and atmosphere. I'm still riding high on The Dark Knight, so I won't get ahead of myself, but I get the sense that this once has a real shot at earning its place as a good film.

This. Although the Harry Potter films aren't great (and perhaps never could be), they seem to have finally hit upon the correct style and tone, after trying three other directors, and now have the potential to be reasonably good. In fact, this new one should likely be more faithful than the previous three or four, considering it's based off of one of the shortest volumes.

I'm not sure this director can handle the 7th film, though--Phoenix was a good rendering of a fantasy movie with action in it, whereas the 7th book is basically action in a fantasy world. There aren't many directors out there who could keep up the 7th's roller-coaster pacing. But we'll see. This one, at least, looks like it'll be quite entertaining. Worthy of seeing in theaters, even--unfortunately I skipped the 5th film after the awful 4th one.

Clumpy

Postby Clumpy » Mon Aug 04, 2008 2:14 am UTC

Funny how the critics liked "Goblet" - most people that I know find it to be a jumbled mess of terrible pacing. I agree. Plus I didn't like the myriad breaks of character (Dumbledore sputtering and choking Harry, asking him if he put his own name in the cup). I'll watch it again - maybe I'll like it more. I doubt it. The first half-hour, at least, is terrible. Best to split it into two parts like they're doing with 7.

Tigerlion
The Communist formerly known as Tigion

Postby Tigerlion » Mon Aug 04, 2008 5:42 am UTC

I'm indifferent about Harry Potter, really.

I just really,really hate that font.

H.E.L.e.N.
Cheesy-tuna-bacon-pickle?

Postby H.E.L.e.N. » Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:20 pm UTC

Clumpy wrote:It's obviously tailor-made for fans of the books.

I don't know about that -- the trailer seems like it could almost be for a stand-alone movie. You see who the good guys are, you know the main problem is a Really Bad Wizard. It seems a lot simpler than what came before, which fits with #6 being a much more streamlined book than what preceded it.

The fourth movie was a whole bunch of images that you needed to really know the book to get, and I skipped movie #5 out of apathy, too. I should probably see it because I remember there being some really neat moments in book #5 if you could get through all the angst. I actually would really like to see [infamous spoiler from #6] on film, because I feel like it just flew by in the book.

Clumpy

Postby Clumpy » Wed Aug 06, 2008 4:11 pm UTC

I actually really liked OoTP (the movie). They did a great job with it - it's easily up there with PoA; though it doesn't quite have that little touch Cuaron put to it, the end is completely apocalyptic and awesome, and for once finally matches up with the scale I expected.

I only meant that the trailer seemed to be specifically designed to excite fans of the books. Rather than focusing on superficial elements (Harry running around and saying significant things) it concentrated on the meat of the books (after all, HBP was really Big V's book, as well as Snape's, though not as directly).

Toeofdoom
The (Male) Skeleton Guitarist

Postby Toeofdoom » Wed Aug 06, 2008 4:27 pm UTC

Personally I thought it went downhill (a very steep hill) after the second movie, and I'm not sure if it'll stop here...

Still, the books are what I prefer anyway.
Hawknc wrote:Gotta love our political choices here - you can pick the unionised socially conservative party, or the free-market even more socially conservative party. Oh who to vote for…I don't know, I think I'll just flip a coin and hope it explodes and kills me.

Website

Clumpy

Postby Clumpy » Thu Aug 07, 2008 12:05 am UTC

Toeofdoom wrote:Personally I thought it went downhill (a very steep hill) after the second movie, and I'm not sure if it'll stop here...

Well, we'll agree to disagree. Strongly, strongly disagree.

Joeldi

Postby Joeldi » Thu Aug 07, 2008 11:33 am UTC

5 made absolutely no sense unless you knew what was supposed to be happening. First and Second movies I feel, got the look and feel of the books right, and none of the other ones did.

The books themselves changed after 5, with 6 not having much plot at all, mostly just a build up to the dissapointing 7. With the way these flashbacks look done though, this might be good.
I already have a hate thread. Necromancy > redundancy here, so post there.

roc314 wrote:America is a police state that communicates in txt speak...

"i hav teh dissentors brb""¡This cheese is burning me! u pwnd them bff""thx ur cool 2"

Quixotess
No. Cookies.

Postby Quixotess » Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:49 pm UTC

I really, really love the theme music. It works on me and makes me buy movie tickets.

That said, seeing the trailer reminded me of how very much Michael Gambon annoys me as Dumbledore. I mean, he's so angry all the time. Like when he yelled at the students something along the lines of "Don't you all have studying to do?" Not my Dumbledore.

On the other hand, in this movie we won't have Fred and George being in the same classes as the Golden Trio, so that's one less thing.

One thing I am looking forward to that I hope they put in a subsequent trailer: Alan Rickman being TOTALLY AWESOME.
Raise up the torch and light the way.

Mr. Galt

Postby Mr. Galt » Thu Aug 07, 2008 9:36 pm UTC

I dunno, I'm not sold yet.

Most of the book was focused on explaining things, So I'm going to guess their gonna follow that and....explain everything. Not very entertaining imo.

/shrug

ThreeLawsSafe

Postby ThreeLawsSafe » Fri Aug 08, 2008 5:24 am UTC

I'm excited for HBP because this is the point in the series that most interests me. Besides Prisoner of Azakaban, Half-Blood Prince and Deathly Hallows were my favorite books. I enjoyed finally learning the history behind The Boy Who Lived and seeing everything click into place. I'm hopeful that the HBP movie will be a actually be a good movie.

Oh, and I don't like the new actor that plays Dumbledore. He does a poor job. That's not how I pictured the headmaster of Hogwarts.
That's not gneiss.
GENERATION 22: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Clumpy

Postby Clumpy » Fri Aug 08, 2008 4:11 pm UTC

Well, Gambon plays a more melancholy, soft-spoken Dumbledore, but doesn't really show the gentle humor or "twinkle in the eye" moments that really make you love the character from the books. I think that he's perfectly serviceable for the movies as long as you don't expect the same character. The movies are fantastic if you're familiar with the books, but you may have to have the context of knowing Dumbledore's character to get the full experience. I can't divorce myself from the books enough to consider this.

fersrs

Postby fersrs » Sat Aug 09, 2008 3:15 am UTC

Oh dear. I'm trying to prepare myself for the disappointment that I know will come when I find out that the movie isn't nearly as good as the book, but I'm still really excited for the movie to come out. I have a feeling that the movie will be much darker than the book, just like the fifth one was. I'm also fairly certain that the movie will either tone down the violence to keep it PG-13, or stay true to the book and make it R. However, the bottle of memory looks cool, so it can't be that bad. :D

steewi

Postby steewi » Sun Aug 10, 2008 1:43 am UTC

Quixotess wrote:I really, really love the theme music. It works on me and makes me buy movie tickets.

I completely understand. That glockenspiel bit, just makes me think "movie theatre" and gets me all nostalgic (but what for, I'm not sure).

Mr. Beck
Commencing Countdown, Engines On

Postby Mr. Beck » Thu Aug 14, 2008 2:42 am UTC

I haven't really been a fan of any of the previous movies and that still made me squee.

baker's kilobyte

Postby baker's kilobyte » Thu Aug 14, 2008 11:18 pm UTC

I liked the first one and the second one (I was in middle school for those), and then somehow everyone forgot how to act by the time they made PoA.

I still went to see it, but skipped out on GoF. I saw OotP on my siblings' insistence, but I don't think I'm going to see anymore of the movies. I didn't like the 6th and 7th books, anyway, and I think the actors have now strayed too far from how I imagined the characters to be for me to enjoy watching them on film.

Clumpy

Postby Clumpy » Fri Aug 15, 2008 5:14 am UTC

aaron

Postby aaron » Sat Aug 16, 2008 7:13 pm UTC

maybe i'm just being nitpickity about this, but doesn't it bother anyone else that when dumbledore lights the wardrobe on fire, riddle just kind of sit there and doesn't really care? in the book, he becomes really excited and eager to show off his powers, but here it's just kind of like a "meh, cool."

Quixotess wrote:One thing I am looking forward to that I hope they put in a subsequent trailer: Alan Rickman being TOTALLY AWESOME.

forgot about this. now, i am excited.

baker's kilobyte

Postby baker's kilobyte » Sat Aug 16, 2008 10:18 pm UTC

aaron wrote:maybe i'm just being nitpickity about this, but doesn't it bother anyone else that when dumbledore lights the wardrobe on fire, riddle just kind of sit there and doesn't really care? in the book, he becomes really excited and eager to show off his powers, but here it's just kind of like a "meh, cool."

Yeah. 'Cause this is the first time the movies got a (significant) detail from the books wrong, eh? :wink:

Megatriorchis

Postby Megatriorchis » Sun Aug 17, 2008 11:33 am UTC

Needs more Snape. It looks like it's going to be Voldemort-centric, and that could mean eliminating other bask stories and subplots. That might be terrible.

But I have to admit, this is my favorite Harry Potter book and I do anticipate the movie.
The Humanity for the Undead Coalition: Bringing Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness to the Undead and Other Supernatural Humanoids. Zombies don't eat people; people eat people!

H.E.L.e.N.
Cheesy-tuna-bacon-pickle?

Postby H.E.L.e.N. » Sun Aug 17, 2008 5:32 pm UTC

Clumpy wrote:Well, Gambon plays a more melancholy, soft-spoken Dumbledore, but doesn't really show the gentle humor or "twinkle in the eye" moments that really make you love the character from the books.

Neither did Harris!

(Ok, it's been a while and I have zero desire to re-watch the first couple movies, but I felt like Richard Harris was phoning it in, and he basically said as much in interviews (said his granddaughter made him do it). I mean, RIP, but I wasn't a fan of his Dumbledore either.)

Narsil
Ask me about my junk!

Postby Narsil » Sun Aug 17, 2008 5:56 pm UTC

Clumpy wrote:ARGH!

July 2009? What the hell?
Spoiler:
EsotericWombat wrote:MORE JUNK THAN YOUR BODY HAS ROOM FOR

Mother Superior wrote:What's he got that I dont?
*sees Narsil's sig*
Oh... that.

Return to “Movies and TV Shows”