Soupernatural - The Thread (also some spoilers, apparently)

Rot your brains, then rot our boards

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

ponzerelli

Soupernatural - The Thread (also some spoilers, apparently)

Postby ponzerelli » Fri Sep 19, 2008 2:20 am UTC

Searched to see if this was a thread already, didn't see one. Delete if this is a double please.

So I just finished watching the first episode for this season. I can't wait to see where they take this one. They showed some really cool new things.
Spoiler:
1.) Sam's new ability to banish demons to hell.
2.) Ruby is alive, although in a new host body.
3.) Sam and Ruby are doing a job (eradicating demons, i guess?)
4.) The Angel (atleast thats what he says he is) that brought Dean back from hell!
5.) God supposedly commanded the Angel to take Dean out of hell because they have work for him...?

So the title of the first episode is "Lazarus Rising". An apt title since Dean was raised from the dead by God. But do you think the angel is really an angel? So far, he seems to be. Those demons couldn't do anything about it. But then he blinded the psychic woman too. He said he "warned her" but....I dunno. What do you all think?

Mighty Jalapeno
Inne Juste 7 Dayes I Wille Make You A Hero!

Re: Supernatural Season 4 *SPOILERS*

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:55 pm UTC

It seems plausible...

Spoiler:
Angels are just like Demons, except without free will. Seems possible they wouldn't care about blinding mortals. Bringing God directly into it seemed a little "ITS OVER 9000!!!!" to me, though...

ponzerelli

Postby ponzerelli » Sat Sep 27, 2008 6:21 am UTC

Episode 2 last Thursday.

Spoiler:
So it looks like this season is going to be all about Revelations and the Apocolypse. Episode 2 was about the raising of the witnesses. Lillith (Badass demon from season 3) is breaking the seals (raising of the witnesses being one of them) that lead to the Apocolypse which is, according to the show, when Lucifer is freed. I myself have never read Revelations so I dunno if this is accurate according to the Bible. Either way, it seems like this season will be pretty good. Well, as long as every episode isn't about Revelations; I want to see some monster/spirit/etc. killing just for the sake of killing them, like in season 1. I think it was already leaked that there was going to be another Ghostfacers (hilarious) episode, so I'm sure that there will be some of that killing for the sake of killing.

So the Angel (I always forget his name when I sit down to post) talked to Dean again. Blinding the psychic doesn't seemed so...evil...to me now. He explained to Dean that he is a soldier of god, not a nice, hymn singing, lyre playing angel we see in children's books. He told him that the war was getting even worse and if Dean isn't willing to help he can throw him right back into hell. I think this new character's interactions with Dean and Dean's faith will develop really well.

So, there's what I saw/thought. What about y'all?

EDIT:
Spoiler:
Oh yeah, Ruby left Sam when she found out about the Angel. I wonder if she is coming back...?
Last edited by ponzerelli on Sat Sep 27, 2008 6:34 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.

Mighty Jalapeno
Inne Juste 7 Dayes I Wille Make You A Hero!

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Sat Sep 27, 2008 6:33 am UTC

I saw that tonight.
Spoiler:
"You made this?"
"I had a weekend off!"

Classic.

"Are you ok?"
"No!"

It seems dark, there's not as much jocular in-giggles, but I do agree with you for most of that (although I thought the Angel was a dick right from the get-go.)

ponzerelli

Postby ponzerelli » Sat Sep 27, 2008 6:35 am UTC

Mighty Jalapeno wrote:It seems plausible...

Spoiler:
Angels are just like Demons, except without free will. Seems possible they wouldn't care about blinding mortals. Bringing God directly into it seemed a little "ITS OVER 9000!!!!" to me, though...

Spoiler:
I agreed at first, but after thinking about it, the previous seasons have said that things have been getting worse (more monsters, spirits, and demons out) and we already heard that the war has been going on. Before it's just been what Sam, Dean, Bobby, and the other hunters have been able to see. Now we're seeing the whole scope of the war. I think the previous seasons have been leading up to this pretty well. The only thing that bothers me though is, since we don't know Dean's purpose right now, his rescue from Hell looks just like deus ex machina for the sake of keeping the character interacting directly with the living world and his brother. I think the writers could have come up with something better and atleast have made it harder or more painful for Dean to have returned.

theonlyjett

Postby theonlyjett » Sun Sep 28, 2008 6:34 pm UTC

Like this show...
Spoiler:
MJ wrote:Angels are just like Demons
Except that they were never humans like demons in the Supernatural universe were, and the demons refer to the angel (not even knowing what exactly it was) as "cosmic." Seems as though angels are in a whole different league.

MJ wrote:Bringing God directly into it seemed a little "ITS OVER 9000!!!!" to me, though...
I would tend to agree, but I was still slack jawed over the "I'm an Angel of the Lord" line. Pretty epic.

ponzerelli wrote:I myself have never read Revelations so I dunno if this is accurate according to the Bible.
Nah, if you remember, Bobby said words to the effect that the Revelations he's reading from isn't the "tourist," or usual version.

ponzerelli wrote:He told him that the war was getting even worse and if Dean isn't willing to help he can throw him right back into hell.
Wake up call, Dean. You're special, but not THAT special. Get your shit together.

ponzerelli wrote:The only thing that bothers me though is, since we don't know Dean's purpose right now, his rescue from Hell looks just like deus ex machina for the sake of keeping the character interacting directly with the living world and his brother.
I thought it was pretty obvious what his purpose is. To help Sam rock Lilith's world. They were clearly on her trail before the whole Hell incident. Sam has some abilities (and immunities) to demons. Dean is Sam's Krillin, or Xander. Lilith is trying to unlock all the seals. Yep, pretty obvious. ;)

Am I the only one who thinks that Azazel ("Yellow Eyes") and Lilith are not typical demons and maybe are "original" demons, stronger than other demons and never actually ever being humans? Azazel apparently can (could) make more demons, having talked about it before, and apparently having had a "daughter" who was the demon to possessed Meg.

GhostWolfe
Broken wings and scattered feathers

Postby GhostWolfe » Thu Oct 16, 2008 6:08 am UTC

Bumped cause I'm really really stupidly bored.

Spoiler:
theonlyjett wrote:The demons refer to the angel (not even knowing what exactly it was) as "cosmic." Seems as though angels are in a whole different league.
I'm just making shit up here as I go along, but I think that the angels are immensely more powerful than demons, but far fewer in number (you know, to make it balance).

I saw the third episode on Monday (this is Australia, we have to wait for stuff); I was a little disappointed.
Spoiler:
We know Dean wasn't going to change history, cause if Dean killed the yellow eyed demon, then mummy wouldn't have died, and daddy wouldn't have become a hunter, and Sam and Dean wouldn't have grown up in a series of crappy motels, and there'd be no show :P

I *was* interesting to meet mum and the grandparents though.

I think I prefered the old "monster of the week" format in season one. Back before they were trying to destroy save the world.

/angell

**WARNING** This post is crap, but I am sooooo bored.
Linguistic Anarchist
Hawknc: ANGELL IS SERIOUS BUSINESS :-[
lesliesage: Animals dunked in crude oil: sad. Animals dunked in boiling oil: tasty.
Belial: I was in your mom's room all night committing to a series of extended military actions.

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Sun Jul 07, 2013 2:42 am UTC

So we're like at season 9 soon...
I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.
Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Postby Angua » Sun Jul 07, 2013 1:03 pm UTC

I know!!!!!!
'Look, sir, I know Angua. She's not the useless type. She doesn't stand there and scream helplessly. She makes other people do that.'
GNU Terry Pratchett

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:16 pm UTC

So close now...
I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.

Postby Angua » Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:51 pm UTC

I've got a google calendar set up for the start of all the fall shows that I'm going to be watching. It's going to be crazy come October!
'Look, sir, I know Angua. She's not the useless type. She doesn't stand there and scream helplessly. She makes other people do that.'
GNU Terry Pratchett

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.

Postby Angua » Wed Oct 30, 2013 5:29 pm UTC

Bumped for new episode

Spoiler:
It really, really bugged me that they kept talking about the books over and over again, and then the shoes were red, not silver.
GNU Terry Pratchett

You, sir, name?

Re: Supernatural - The Thread (also some spoilers, apparentl

Postby You, sir, name? » Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:04 pm UTC

Oh, this show. This show.

:D

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.

Postby Angua » Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:27 pm UTC

I love when they go with the lighthearted episodes.

Spoiler:
I wish we'd seen more of Dean telling Cas to leave. Did he tell him it was because of Ezekiel? Why didn't Sam put up more of a fight about it?
GNU Terry Pratchett

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Sat Nov 09, 2013 1:17 am UTC

Oh wow, we have a thread for this? I haven't started season 9 yet but I really want to.

You, sir, name?

Re: Soupernatural - The Thread (also some spoilers, apparent

Postby You, sir, name? » Thu Oct 30, 2014 10:45 pm UTC

So, the seasons keep coming and the show stays the same.

Not that I'm complaining. The formula totally still holds.

setzer777
Good questions sometimes get stupid answers

Postby setzer777 » Fri May 22, 2015 3:02 am UTC

I just watched the season 10 finale. That was god-awful...

Spoiler:
Dean just easily kills Death by swinging the scythe into him (nice reflexes, Death)? Lucifer was just being influenced by the mark? Sam and Dean are going to stop something that was difficult for God + all four archangels to stop? Something with absolutely no foreshadowing?
Meaux_Pas wrote:We're here to go above and beyond.

Too infinity
of being an arsehole

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.

Postby Angua » Fri May 22, 2015 2:11 pm UTC

Spoiler:
I don't understand why Dean killed Death. What was the point? He's the one who summoned Death, was it always his intention to kill him?
GNU Terry Pratchett

TaintedDeity

Postby TaintedDeity » Fri May 22, 2015 2:45 pm UTC

I just saw Dark Dynasty. Not terribly happy with it...
Spoiler:
Charlie died and it felt really fucking contrived. The woman who's been on the run and in hiding since she was a child, who spent fuck knows how long fighting a magical war and who knows the Styne's are not only after her, but able to find her - that woman decides it is a good idea to leave the safety of a hidden building with Castiel to defend her and go off by herself. Why does she do this? Because another woman was too annoying. Another woman who was just put in a completely different room. At least Sam and Dean got to have their man-pain moment over the death of another woman, at least.
Ⓞⓞ◯

TaintedDeity

Postby TaintedDeity » Sat May 23, 2015 6:21 pm UTC

Aaand just saw the end of season. I accidentally peeked at the above spoilers after watching Dark Dynasty. I saw mentions of
Spoiler:
Lucifer, Death and a scythe
and thought I'd missed something or it was a different season or something... nope. That was that out of the blue and that unexplainable.

Spoiler:
Death turns up in the last episode and drops some huge exposition out of nowhere. It's a bit silly.
Ⓞⓞ◯

setzer777
Good questions sometimes get stupid answers

Postby setzer777 » Sun May 24, 2015 12:16 am UTC

This is seriously bugging me:

Spoiler:
Aside from shitty plot contrivance, why on earth would Death give Dean his scythe, if it really can kill him? Even if for some reason he wants Dean himself to kill Sam, why the hell give him such a powerful weapon when a simple knife or gun will do?
Meaux_Pas wrote:We're here to go above and beyond.

Too infinity
of being an arsehole

TaintedDeity

Postby TaintedDeity » Sun May 24, 2015 4:20 am UTC

setzer777 wrote:This is seriously bugging me:

Spoiler:
Aside from shitty plot contrivance, why on earth would Death give Dean his scythe, if it really can kill him? Even if for some reason he wants Dean himself to kill Sam, why the hell give him such a powerful weapon when a simple knife or gun will do?
Also a brilliant point. Contrived is definitely the word.
Ⓞⓞ◯

Fractal_Tangent
Today is my Birthday!

Postby Fractal_Tangent » Sun May 24, 2015 10:54 pm UTC

I'm posting here so I can complain about things because I appear to be the most up to date person here (most recent season spoilers):

Spoiler:
Since Bobby's death, not a single death has meant a damn thing. All the lady deaths are kind of piling up to be a big misogynist mess. It just seems to be *~~*secrets*~~* and brothers. The producers and directors seem to be unable to grow their characters.

I am so bored of the same shit being taught and the heroes refusing to learn. It feels very stale.
eSOANEM wrote:
right now, that means it's Nazi punching time.

she/her/hers
=]

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.

Postby Angua » Mon May 25, 2015 7:51 am UTC

Something that's been bugging me since last season that was never addressed:
Spoiler:
Last season they killed off Kevin, then they had that episode where he's a ghost and all the ghosts are all squished up because they couldn't get to heaven, then nothing. No buildup of ectoplasmic energy or whatever. Presumably it all went back to normal when they managed to open the gates back up, but it would have been nice for it to be mentioned again.
GNU Terry Pratchett

Fractal_Tangent
Today is my Birthday!

Postby Fractal_Tangent » Mon May 25, 2015 8:58 am UTC

Angua wrote:Something that's been bugging me since last season that was never addressed:
Spoiler:
Last season they killed off Kevin, then they had that episode where he's a ghost and all the ghosts are all squished up because they couldn't get to heaven, then nothing. No buildup of ectoplasmic energy or whatever. Presumably it all went back to normal when they managed to open the gates back up, but it would have been nice for it to be mentioned again.

That's the thing though, these things seem not to matter at all. The only things that matter are the brothers and their secrets that they hide from each other. That always end up badly and then they always say things like 'That's not gonna happen again' *slow pan to other's face* 'Yeah, never again' *wistful sigh because that one has a secret from the other one*

Fun thing though: Cas' storyline is very samey.
1. Something's wrong in heaven
2. Angels: Cas! You're weird, come fix it!
3. Cas: No I couldn't
4. Cas becomes rallying point
5. War ensues
6. Lots of angels die (srsly how many of them are there out here?)
7. Everyone: Cas! No!
8. Cas: Cas! Yes!
9. War ends at some point, everyone shuns Cas for a while.

Also
Spoiler:
they ever gonna deal with the fact that their step brother is still locked up in that cage in hell with Michael and Lucifer? The one that Dean did [thing I can't remember] to get Sam out of? No? Ok.
eSOANEM wrote:

she/her/hers
=]

TaintedDeity

Postby TaintedDeity » Mon May 25, 2015 3:23 pm UTC

Fractal_Tangent wrote:Also
Spoiler:
they ever gonna deal with the fact that their step brother is still locked up in that cage in hell with Michael and Lucifer? The one that Dean did [thing I can't remember] to get Sam out of? No? Ok.
I keep having this exact thought.
Ⓞⓞ◯

Fractal_Tangent
Today is my Birthday!

Postby Fractal_Tangent » Mon May 25, 2015 3:31 pm UTC

TaintedDeity wrote:
Spoiler:

But family is the most important thing! You don't abandon family!
eSOANEM wrote:

she/her/hers
=]

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.

Postby Angua » Mon May 25, 2015 5:12 pm UTC

Fractal_Tangent wrote:
Angua wrote:Something that's been bugging me since last season that was never addressed:
Spoiler:

That's the thing though, these things seem not to matter at all. The only things that matter are the brothers and their secrets that they hide from each other. That always end up badly and then they always say things like 'That's not gonna happen again' *slow pan to other's face* 'Yeah, never again' *wistful sigh because that one has a secret from the other one*

Fun thing though: Cas' storyline is very samey.
1. Something's wrong in heaven
2. Angels: Cas! You're weird, come fix it!
3. Cas: No I couldn't
4. Cas becomes rallying point
5. War ensues
6. Lots of angels die (srsly how many of them are there out here?)
7. Everyone: Cas! No!
8. Cas: Cas! Yes!
9. War ends at some point, everyone shuns Cas for a while.

Also
Spoiler:

Spoiler:
At least they acknowledged that he's there, I guess. But yeah, no idea why they dobt v seem to care.
GNU Terry Pratchett

Fractal_Tangent
Today is my Birthday!

Postby Fractal_Tangent » Tue May 26, 2015 3:03 pm UTC

Just watched the most recent episode finale. That was stupid.
eSOANEM wrote:

she/her/hers
=]

TaintedDeity

Postby TaintedDeity » Tue May 26, 2015 3:47 pm UTC

Very rushed. Almost a season's worth of exposition and plot and potential things to play with all shoved into one episode.
Ⓞⓞ◯

Fractal_Tangent
Today is my Birthday!

Postby Fractal_Tangent » Tue May 26, 2015 3:53 pm UTC

Spoiler:
They killed Death? How come? He was only talking about taking Dean away somewhere. He didn't say that he would forcibly do it. Why was the whole thing 'Have to kill Sam?' Was there no option to take Sam too if they thought that he would spend the rest of his life trying to break Dean out of whatever? Why did they bring in that hunter guy like everyone knew who he was only to have him killed? Why was that the death to spark Dean into thinking something was wrong as opposed TO CHARLIE WHO YOU KILLED LIKE FIVE MINUTES AGO? What was with waffle house kid? Why no build up to that? Jesus this whole episode was terrible.

Also, the whole speech: the world would be worse without us. Uh, no. The world would be much better. Someone could have shut the gates of hell without having their brother pull them back from the edge, nobody would have bothered to mess around with The Mark and release The Darkness. & They even kill other hunters so maybe there would be a whole group of people doing this without the need for Sam and Dean to come in thinking that they're all special and shit.
eSOANEM wrote:

she/her/hers
=]

moody7277

Postby moody7277 » Sun Sep 13, 2015 2:50 pm UTC

TaintedDeity wrote:
Spoiler:

Spoiler:
In the episode with the musical version at the all girls school, I think one of the girls says "You realize Adam is still in the cage?" and Sam and Dean are are all like "Yeah, that's kind of shitty." and that was it.
The story of my life in xkcdmafia:

Tigerlion wrote:Well, I imagine as the game progresses, various people will be getting moody.

Fractal_Tangent
Today is my Birthday!

Postby Fractal_Tangent » Sun Sep 13, 2015 3:50 pm UTC

Ok, I'm watching from Season 1 again.

Holy crap I didn't realize that they learned the 'Not all monsters are monsters' rule so fast. It happens with their second vampire nest I think early on in the second season. THEY KEEP RELEARNING THIS LESSON FOREVER. It's just that one of them changes their mind as to whether all monsters can be monsters.
Sam: Dean, no! Not all monsters are bad guys!
*story shows that Dean is wrong*
Dean: Well, it seems like not all monsters are bad guys.
*time passes*
Dean: Sam no! Not all monsters are bad guys!
*story shows that Sam is wrong*
Sam: Well, it seems like not all monsters are bad guys.

rinse&repeat.
eSOANEM wrote:

she/her/hers
=]

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.

Postby Angua » Sun Sep 13, 2015 4:00 pm UTC

Yeah, a recurring theme of the show is that they never learn from their mistakes. I don't think they're self aware enough to actually be doing that [monsters not evil always] on purpose though.
GNU Terry Pratchett

TaintedDeity

Postby TaintedDeity » Sun Sep 13, 2015 4:11 pm UTC

"rinse&repeat" is a pretty good summation of the show, to be honest.
Ⓞⓞ◯

Sprocket
Seymour

Postby Sprocket » Wed Nov 18, 2015 9:29 pm UTC

ponzerelli wrote:Episode 2 last Thursday.

Spoiler:
So it looks like this season is going to be all about Revelations and the Apocolypse. Episode 2 was about the raising of the witnesses. Lillith (Badass demon from season 3) is breaking the seals (raising of the witnesses being one of them) that lead to the Apocolypse which is, according to the show, when Lucifer is freed. I myself have never read Revelations so I dunno if this is accurate according to the Bible. Either way, it seems like this season will be pretty good. Well, as long as every episode isn't about Revelations; I want to see some monster/spirit/etc. killing just for the sake of killing them, like in season 1. I think it was already leaked that there was going to be another Ghostfacers (hilarious) episode, so I'm sure that there will be some of that killing for the sake of killing.

So the Angel (I always forget his name when I sit down to post) talked to Dean again. Blinding the psychic doesn't seemed so...evil...to me now. He explained to Dean that he is a soldier of god, not a nice, hymn singing, lyre playing angel we see in children's books. He told him that the war was getting even worse and if Dean isn't willing to help he can throw him right back into hell. I think this new character's interactions with Dean and Dean's faith will develop really well.

So, there's what I saw/thought. What about y'all?

EDIT:
Spoiler:
Oh yeah, Ruby left Sam when she found out about the Angel. I wonder if she is coming back...?

Reading these old posts from when the show just started going this way is really amazing. I started out more or less with season 9, and was watching occasional early episodes while keeping up with what was new on Hulu. Anyway I just binged on seasons 1-5 this summer/fall so I'm missing 6 7 and 8. It was neat watching them think they were dealing with angels in...season three was it? and learning that was bullshit, and it was just a ghost, already knowing that angels and stuff are real because six years later we're still dealing with them. And the fact that you can't remember "that angel dudes" name seems so absurd, but at the time he was a new guy you didn't know was never going away. Not having watched season six yet I still haven't seen how they make Crowley the King of Hell or him really trying to be, or becoming a major player. At the end of season five he's handed them the Colt hoping they can use it to kill Lucifer, and it doesn't work, and you don't really see him again. Also I guess I need to learn how Sam got out of hell. They hinted last season that "the other winchester" from Jump The Shark is still in the pit. I wonder if they're ever doing anything about that....jerks.
moody7277 wrote:
TaintedDeity wrote:
Spoiler:

Spoiler:
In the episode with the musical version at the all girls school, I think one of the girls says "You realize Adam is still in the cage?" and Sam and Dean are are all like "Yeah, that's kind of shitty." and that was it.

lol you folks do too, ok cool.

Anyway this season has been GREAT so far, and that episode, "Baby" was AMAZING. Probably the best episode ever.

Fractal_Tangent wrote:Ok, I'm watching from Season 1 again.

Holy crap I didn't realize that they learned the 'Not all monsters are monsters' rule so fast. It happens with their second vampire nest I think early on in the second season. THEY KEEP RELEARNING THIS LESSON FOREVER. It's just that one of them changes their mind as to whether all monsters can be monsters.

rinse&repeat.
As someone was telling me recently, they never learn..anything. It's like they want to be a cartoon. This season starts with Sam being all "no Dean we need to start learning things, we need to stop making the same mistakes. If we want to save everyone, we need to save EVERYONE." and you're thinking...yeah that's be nice.

And you know "what's dead should stay dead" that one they haven't learned yet either. But it looks like this season that's the threat. No more take-backsies.
"She’s a free spirit, a wind-rider, she’s at one with nature, and walks with the kodama eidolons”
Zohar wrote: Down with the hipster binary! It's a SPECTRUM!

Return to “Movies and TV Shows”