Most Stunning Cinematography EVER

Rot your brains, then rot our boards

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Mathmagic
It's not as cool as that Criss Angel stuff.

Most Stunning Cinematography EVER

Postby Mathmagic » Tue Sep 23, 2008 1:56 pm UTC

I come to everyone with a request concerning the purchasing and/or viewing of very pretty/stunning films that look a billion times better on a 46-inch 1080P HD LCD television set than a 26-inch CRT screen. For the first time, my household is purchasing a brand new TV, and I need some ideas for movies/TV shows to rent/buy that would make my eyes orgasm!

Any and all ideas are welcome! Thanks in advance. :)
Axman: That, and have you played DX 10 games? It's like having your corneas swabbed with clits made out of morphine.
Pathway: cocks cocks cocks

22/7
I'm pretty sure I have "The Slavery In My Asshole" on DVD.

Re: Most Stunning Cinematography EVER

Postby 22/7 » Tue Sep 23, 2008 2:35 pm UTC

The first thing that comes to mind for me is Planet Earth.
Totally not a hypothetical...

Steroid wrote:
bigglesworth wrote:If your economic reality is a choice, then why are you not as rich as Bill Gates?
Don't want to be.
I want to be!

headprogrammingczar

Postby headprogrammingczar » Tue Sep 23, 2008 3:17 pm UTC

Wall-e?
Sin City?
<quintopia> You're not crazy. you're the goddamn headprogrammingspock!
<Weeks> You're the goddamn headprogrammingspock!
<Cheese> I love you

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby Felstaff » Tue Sep 23, 2008 3:37 pm UTC

Pan's Labyrinth
Hero/House of Flying Daggers/Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon
Saving Private Ryan
Lord of the Rings
Gladiator
Atonement (for the tracking shot, really... not much else)
The Player (for the tracking shot, really... Oh, yeah, the whole film is fanfuckingtastic)
Away, you scullion! you rampallion! You fustilarian! I'll tickle your catastrophe.

Malice

Postby Malice » Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:49 pm UTC

Children of Men has some of the best cinematography of the past decade.

I also suggest Schindler's List, Vertigo, The Descent, and anything by Sergio Leone.

Mr. Beck
Commencing Countdown, Engines On

Postby Mr. Beck » Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:37 pm UTC

The Fountain
Hero

darwinwins

Postby darwinwins » Tue Sep 23, 2008 10:37 pm UTC

headprogrammingczar wrote:Wall-e?
Sin City?

sin city? really? that doesn't need hi-def.

se7en. hands down, one of the most beautiful movies ever committed to film.
"if you only read the books that everyone else is reading, you can only think what everyone else is thinking. that's the world of hicks and slobs. " - haruki murakami

TheAmazingRando

Postby TheAmazingRando » Tue Sep 23, 2008 11:58 pm UTC

Wong Kar-Wai's Fallen Angels has some of the most beautiful cinematography I've ever seen, but since it's meant to mimic the style of grainy French avant-garde films I'm not sure that a high-def television would improve it much.

I'd throw in my vote for Hero though. The whole film is mostly visual anyway, and it's clear that the main focus is color and cinematography.

ian

Postby ian » Wed Sep 24, 2008 12:25 am UTC

Sunshine.

Star Wars. (just because)

Advent Children

EvanED

Postby EvanED » Wed Sep 24, 2008 12:53 am UTC

Lord of the Rings

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Wed Sep 24, 2008 3:48 am UTC

Felstaff wrote:Hero/House of Flying Daggers/Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon

Go with Hero, easily the best movie ever.
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
"Do you think games are silly little things?"
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
"Do you admit there is no meaning to this world?"
- > No

headprogrammingczar

Postby headprogrammingczar » Wed Sep 24, 2008 1:26 pm UTC

The Island. The main characters push train wheels off a truck into other cars.
<Cheese> I love you

EdgarJPublius
Official Propagandi.... Nifty Poster Guy

Postby EdgarJPublius » Wed Sep 24, 2008 4:51 pm UTC

The Thin Red Line. Every frame is like a piece of art (well of course, it's a Terrence Malick film)

The Peter Jackson King Kong has some pretty epic cinematography as well.

I also agree 210% with everybody who said Hero, in fact, I might go as far as to say if you don't see it on some sort of larger-than-average screen you are a terrible person (but not nearly as terrible a person as if you never see it at all)
Roosevelt wrote:
I wrote:Does Space Teddy Roosevelt wrestle Space Bears and fight the Space Spanish-American War with his band of Space-volunteers the Space Rough Riders?

Yes.

-still unaware of the origin and meaning of his own user-title

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Wed Sep 24, 2008 5:05 pm UTC

Baraka comes to mind, as does the entire Koyanusconsi series (life as war is the most terrifying/my favorite).

Considering the films are essentially visualgasms, it might be right up your ally.

Actually, considering these films are essentially incredible cinematography experiments, I'm surprised they weren't mentioned.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

Mr. Beck
Commencing Countdown, Engines On

Postby Mr. Beck » Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:31 pm UTC

A second vote for Baraka. When my class of HS sophomores watched it for class, none of us moved for the duration. And that was on a crappy school TV, with a group not known for its patience- it is that beautiful.

Mighty Jalapeno
Inne Juste 7 Dayes I Wille Make You A Hero!

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:56 pm UTC

Anything Fincher did (except Panic Room, because that movie licks vast quantities of ass), especially Se7en (the first major movie to really go to town with bleach bypass) and Fight Club (yay, overexposed!).

Unbreakable (ridiculously long, amazingly composed shots)

Insomnia (Yay, BC landscapes!)

headprogrammingczar

Postby headprogrammingczar » Thu Sep 25, 2008 2:36 am UTC

Dr Strangelove. Seriously. The movie defined so many cinematographic (FF knows it; impressive) stereotypes. That and watching the credits in HD is pretty cool.
<Cheese> I love you

lorenith

Postby lorenith » Thu Sep 25, 2008 2:40 am UTC

TV Show: .hack//SIGN

Actually you might want to make sure it's something you'll enjoy first, it's a pretty love it or hate it anime. If you require something to have action in it, never mind .hack is not for you. If you like stuff that is layered like an onion and has stunning visuals/shots, a great soundtrack and is in a way a gigantic character study then I'd give it a try. It's standard anime length. (23 episodes+ one bonusy thing that isn't part of SIGN but goes well at the end).

Boxcar Aldous Huxley

Postby Boxcar Aldous Huxley » Thu Sep 25, 2008 10:10 pm UTC

Anything Terry GIlliam? I just saw Brazil, and I really really wish I could have seen it on a bit more high-def screen (I also wish I could stop whistling the main theme). You should be able to handle the more... hallucinatory aspects of his films, though.
Also, No Country for Old Men (any western, really).
"I was thrown out of NYU my freshman year. I cheated on my Metaphysics final. I looked within the soul of the boy sitting next to me." -Woody Allen

Abstruse

Postby Abstruse » Thu Sep 25, 2008 10:15 pm UTC

The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford.

Spoiler; Ben Afleck's brother can fucking act. The editing job is horrid, you could do a better edit, I could do a better edit, the movie is 45 minutes to long.

Mathmagic
It's not as cool as that Criss Angel stuff.

Postby Mathmagic » Thu Sep 25, 2008 10:44 pm UTC

Wow, thanks for the ideas, guys. Hero is definitely on my list now, as is LOTR, Gladiator, and Baraka. I've seen LOTR and Gladiator (multiple times each), but I'd obviously like to see the difference a HDTV gives.

Anybody have any thoughts on some of the Pixar-style or CGI films? I know Wall-E has been mentioned already, but what other movies like that would be good? King Kong (by Peter Jackson) would probably be a good one as well, as someone has already pointed out.
Axman: That, and have you played DX 10 games? It's like having your corneas swabbed with clits made out of morphine.
Pathway: cocks cocks cocks

headprogrammingczar

Postby headprogrammingczar » Fri Sep 26, 2008 1:04 am UTC

In terms of heavy CG and no worries about how generic the movie is...iRobot.
Wall-e is amazing in HD (their original rendering was on the order of maybe 10,000 pixels wide).
Monsters Inc would look good on that screen, and it is almost as good as Wall-e
Forget about Finding Nemo. King Kong is pretty cool. Cloverfield sounds like it would be fucking badass on a screen that size.
<Cheese> I love you

Gunfingers

Postby Gunfingers » Fri Sep 26, 2008 2:49 am UTC

I'm gonna go ahead and recommend "The Fall." A lot of beautiful visuals in that flick, and i bet it'd look awesome in high def.

Malice

Postby Malice » Fri Sep 26, 2008 6:38 am UTC

Did I say The Werckmeister Harmonies? The Werckmeister Harmonies. Yes, it's slow. Yes, it's in some foreign tongue. No, you don't even have to pay attention to the story or anything. Just look at it. It's fucking beautiful. There's a big dead whale. What more do you need?

JayDee

Postby JayDee » Fri Sep 26, 2008 7:59 am UTC

Malice wrote:There's a big dead whale. What more do you need?

A bowl of petunias?
The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:I believe that everything can and must be joked about.
Hawknc wrote:I like to think that he hasn't left, he's just finally completed his foe list.

Mighty Jalapeno
Inne Juste 7 Dayes I Wille Make You A Hero!

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Fri Sep 26, 2008 3:54 pm UTC

JayDee wrote:
Malice wrote:There's a big dead whale. What more do you need?

A bowl of petunias?

Wet naps?

darwinwins

Postby darwinwins » Mon Sep 29, 2008 2:51 am UTC

Hero - pretty movie.

content-wise ... uhhh ... everyone who keeps giving that movie a blowjob is oblivious to what its actual message is -- chinese nationalism. it was filmed in mainland china. the story isn't going to be challenging -- china does not makes those types of films. the film panders to the chinese audience of supporting the government and to have pride in it in a very overt way. the message is blatant and quite offensive if you've ever studied chinese history beyond a superficial level.

in short -- HERO IS A HORRIBLE MOVIE.
"if you only read the books that everyone else is reading, you can only think what everyone else is thinking. that's the world of hicks and slobs. " - haruki murakami

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Mon Sep 29, 2008 4:20 am UTC

darwinwins wrote:Hero - pretty movie.

content-wise ... uhhh ... everyone who keeps giving that movie a blowjob is oblivious to what its actual message is -- chinese nationalism. it was filmed in mainland china. the story isn't going to be challenging -- china does not makes those types of films. the film panders to the chinese audience of supporting the government and to have pride in it in a very overt way. the message is blatant and quite offensive if you've ever studied chinese history beyond a superficial level.

in short -- HERO IS A HORRIBLE MOVIE.

Content wise it's an awesome story about three things...

1) Romance (meh)
2) Philosophy of Swordsmanship/Martial Arts (Reason that I loved Fearless and Samurai X:Trust/Betrayal)
3) **"Who is good or evil?" The story doesn't have a Black and White side, like some of the other stories I love (Tales of Phantasia/Symphonia games, except in the Tales of... games the idealists win). My eyes watered (hard to do for me) when The King explained that Broken Sword seemed to be the only person who understood what he was doing and when he explained Broken Sword's Calligraphy.

Sure, the surface of the story is essentially allowing China to unite under one ruler, but that is just the carrier used to carry the above three themes. Any movie produced by Country X-ians and set in Country X will no doubt have some aspects of nationalism in the movie (whether it is there on purpose or not) and I think the fact that Hero uses a historical setting perhaps exacerbates this a bit, but that's a consequence of using a historical setting.

The only reason you'd hate it is if you hate the above three themes, or you have a ridiculous hatred for any government system that isn't "democracy".

**Just finished Playing Disgaea: Hour of Darkness through on DS, got the "Good Ending". Game is unbelievably deep and awesome gameplay-wise but the story sucked dick, the idealist's idealism was ridiculous ("If we all hold hands and and be friends we'll achieve world peace"), and the bad guy's "good intentions" were very poorly thought out ("loliwannaruleeverythingbecausethatwouldfixeverything"). So it still has to do the "Who is good or evil" thing good, or it'll suck.
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
- > No

Mr. Galt

Postby Mr. Galt » Mon Sep 29, 2008 5:48 am UTC

Gelsamel wrote:
Content wise it's an awesome story about three things...

1) Romance (meh)
2) Philosophy of Swordsmanship/Martial Arts (Reason that I loved Fearless and Samurai X:Trust/Betrayal)
3) **"Who is good or evil?" The story doesn't have a Black and White side, like some of the other stories I love (Tales of Phantasia/Symphonia games, except in the Tales of... games the idealists win). My eyes watered (hard to do for me) when The King explained that Broken Sword seemed to be the only person who understood what he was doing and when he explained Broken Sword's Calligraphy.

Sure, the surface of the story is essentially allowing China to unite under one ruler, but that is just the carrier used to carry the above three themes. Any movie produced by Country X-ians and set in Country X will no doubt have some aspects of nationalism in the movie (whether it is there on purpose or not) and I think the fact that Hero uses a historical setting perhaps exacerbates this a bit, but that's a consequence of using a historical setting.

The only reason you'd hate it is if you hate the above three themes, or you have a ridiculous hatred for any government system that isn't "democracy".

This^^ (esp. number 3)

Even if it is propaganda, its AWESOME propaganda.

(referring to the martial arts here)

Anyway, the Bourne Movies have decent cinematography but you might be throwing up every time someone moves more than 4 feet at a time.

darwinwins

Postby darwinwins » Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:51 am UTC

philosophy of swordsmanship? what. the. hell? what are you twelve?

and good or evil? nowhere did i mention those two phrases. who gives a shit for good and evil? i'm talking straight up oppression. the basic idea of censorship of the media offends me. china is one of the worst transgressors of that.

and i'm an american. we don't live in a democracy. get it right. democracies are probably worse than communism. at least the villains are those in power. in democracies, the villains are your peers.

long live the republic.

Red Hal
Magically Delicious

Postby Red Hal » Mon Sep 29, 2008 11:00 am UTC

No-one has mentioned Heat yet. The main street gun battle is awesome on a big screen.

Secondly, and I know this is a bit off the bat, but Dersu Uzala contains some beautiful cinematography, and is probably one of Kurosawa's best known films (After The Magnificent Seven and Tora Tora Tora). I don't think you'll be able to get an HD version of it though.
Lost Greatest Silent Baby X Y Z. "There is no one who loves pain itself, who seeks after it and wants to have it, simply because it is pain..."

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Mon Sep 29, 2008 11:17 am UTC

darwinwins wrote:philosophy of swordsmanship? what. the. hell? what are you twelve?

I don't understand your objection. And I believe you can find my age in my profile.

and good or evil? nowhere did i mention those two phrases.

I know you didn't... That is why I was mentioning it, because it seems as though you missed that topic in the movie.

It was a major theme of the movie, it's supposed to get you to question the paradigm of most other media dealing with the subject.

Most stories have a big bad guy who wants to kill or rule everything simply for being the top dog's sake, whereas in reality it's not like that. Most "Tyrants" of oppressed countries aren't big bad guys who just want everything to themselves so that they can live the good life, I'm sure some tyrants are like that, but not all.

People opposing the tyrants would have you believe they're entirely evil and they solely exist to bring misery to others, however in real life it's not like that, most tyrants are tyrants for the sake of bringing peace or unity to people, or to stop war or bloodshed. I'm not saying Tyranny is right, I'm saying that the theme of this movie is to point out that this happens, in real life, and that everything isn't as black and white as people like to paint it.

who gives a shit for good and evil? i'm talking straight up oppression.

Uh? I still don't get your point. The movie isn't saying that oppression is good. In fact, the movie points out that oppression is bad. It's so bad that the King of Qin's own advisors hate him as though he IS just an Evil Tyrant, he explains that his advisors and even his own people don't understand that the world isn't black and white, that the King of Qin isn't just a power-mad warmonger. That is why it's so emotional when he realises that Broken Sword, someone who formerly wanted to kill the king, understands that the King of Qin isn't an evil guy but instead he is a good person with good intent who is willing to do things which may not be good in order to stop the war, to stop the bloodshed, to unite his people as one peaceful country.

Whether or not you think that the end justified his means doesn't factor into it, because it's not a story about his means being good...

the basic idea of censorship of the media offends me. china is one of the worst transgressors of that.

The movie has nothing to do with censorship of media let alone anything about the censorship of media being good.

and i'm an american. we don't live in a democracy. get it right. democracies are probably worse than communism. at least the villains are those in power. in democracies, the villains are your peers.

long live the republic.

What does this have to do with anything except that maybe I should have put in <insert the government type you prefer here> instead of "democracy"?

This might be judging a book by it's cover... but fuck it. From the phrasing of your sentence, and your other comments about China, it just seems like you're hating on China, or simply governmental systems that you think are subpar.

P.S. This is quite off-topic for this thread... maybe it could be moved to a thread about Hero itself?
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
- > No

headprogrammingczar

Postby headprogrammingczar » Mon Sep 29, 2008 12:11 pm UTC

Ooh! New Movie!

Deja Vu had good special effects (and good writing, and good actors). Watch the "making of" thingy on the DVD, and be amazed at how they filmed the eye-candy on the computer screen.
<Cheese> I love you

OOPMan

Postby OOPMan » Mon Sep 29, 2008 12:42 pm UTC

lorenith wrote:TV Show: .hack//SIGN

Actually you might want to make sure it's something you'll enjoy first, it's a pretty love it or hate it anime. If you require something to have action in it, never mind .hack is not for you. If you like stuff that is layered like an onion and has stunning visuals/shots, a great soundtrack and is in a way a gigantic character study then I'd give it a try. It's standard anime length. (23 episodes+ one bonusy thing that isn't part of SIGN but goes well at the end).

Disageement. .hack//SIGN is just another bad, overrated anime you can safely ignore...

I'd recommend Lain or Black Lagoon (If action is your thing...)

lorenith

Postby lorenith » Mon Sep 29, 2008 4:25 pm UTC

I like it, you may not, but I think it's hard to consider it over rated when most people don't even know about it. (And most people either love it or hate it, that does really equate to overrated at all).

Just because you disagree, isn't good reason to tell someone to completely dismiss it or anything else. I wouldn't tell someone something I didn't appreciate was crap and should be ignored, it's up to them to decide not me.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Mon Sep 29, 2008 5:26 pm UTC

I'm the last person to ever naysay anime, but I would wager that the awesomeness of cinematography to be a bit muted on most conventional anime. For example, Vampire Hunter D, one of my favorites ever, would not be much improved for being on a big screen.

Something like Ghost in the Shell 2 however, blending the MINDBLOWING CG that it had.... Whoof. Saw it twice in theaters.

But anime by in large doesn't lend itself to being blown up. Paprika, which had some of the most stunning visuals I'd ever seen, was not really improved for being ginormified.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

lorenith

Postby lorenith » Mon Sep 29, 2008 8:16 pm UTC

I think .hack//SIGN would do fine being blown up, I can't really think of any other anime that has really nice shots in it. (Also I'm speaking only of SIGN I've never seen any of the other of the .hacks because I hated TWILIGHT, and the rest you have to have bought the games to have seen at all).

darwinwins

Postby darwinwins » Mon Sep 29, 2008 8:49 pm UTC

OOPMan wrote:
lorenith wrote:TV Show: .hack//SIGN

Disageement. .hack//SIGN is just another bad, overrated anime you can safely ignore...

I'd recommend Lain or Black Lagoon (If action is your thing...)

give Giant Robo a shot. there's a series with some awesome scope of the world that it exists in.

0I3

Postby 0I3 » Tue Sep 30, 2008 6:37 am UTC

How on earth has no one mentioned 2001: A Space Odyssey yet?

semicolon

Postby semicolon » Tue Sep 30, 2008 10:24 am UTC

0I3 wrote:How on earth has no one mentioned 2001: A Space Odyssey yet?

Seriously. What the hell, people?

Return to “Movies and TV Shows”