Due South (Canadian Television)

Rot your brains, then rot our boards

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Mighty Jalapeno
Inne Juste 7 Dayes I Wille Make You A Hero!

Due South (Canadian Television)

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Wed Sep 24, 2008 11:06 pm UTC

So the last mention of the TV show Due South was... October 2007. It was by me. I figured that was a long enough wait before I made a thread just for the best in Canadian television.

Some awesome Canadian TV shows:

Puppets Who Kill
Corner Gas
Due South
The Red Green Show (old or new)
Made In Canada (sort of like 30 Rock, but... funny. Also, predates 30 Rock by quite a lot)
Lexx
Reboot (this counts, dammit)

More specifically, I made this thread to talk aboot how awesome Due South was.

Over the four-season run of the series, Due South and its cast and crew earned a number of awards. Most significantly, the show earned 53 Gemini nominations, winning 15 in total, including Best Dramatic TV series three years running (1995-1997). Paul Gross won Best Actor in a Continuing Leading Dramatic Role two years running (1995-1996) and creator Paul Haggis won Best Writing in a Dramatic Series the same two years running.

Yeah... THAT Paul Haggis.

Also, the following people got their start on Due South: Maria Bello, Carrie-Anne Moss, and Ryan Phillippe. Those are also some of the best episodes in the ENTIRE run of the show. It also became the first Canadian show to be un-cancelled due to INTERNATIONAL popularity (first American, then.... European, I think?) and the first Canadian show to get an American primetime slot.

Youtube linkage!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QbeXh9FZT_g

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=021MIl0SWXo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3mDOyeR7mBU

Best Moments:

Vecchio beating a crime boss to a pulp with a basketball, and just walking away.
Victoria's Secret, right up to where Vecchio shoots Fraser in the spine.
Every scene with Diefenbaker.

Awesome text-based quotables:

Benton Fraser: Excuse me, can I have your attention please? Thank you. Anyone carrying illegal weapons, if you would place them on the bar. You are under arrest.

[firing gun blindly]
Vecchio: I think I got their windshield!
Fraser: Every little bit helps, Ray.

Fraser: Well, actually, Ray, the legal scholars seem to be fairly equally divided on this point. One argument, extended to its logical conclusion, would provide that if you were traveling west at a rate of speed high enough to cross one time zone every hour, then you would never actually have to feed the prisoner. That is, of course, until you crossed the international date line, at which point you would have to force the prisoner to immediately consume four meals.

Fraser: Ray, sapling!
Vecchio: Where?
Fraser: Twelve o'clock.
Vecchio: [runs it over] Got it!
Last edited by Mighty Jalapeno on Wed Sep 24, 2008 11:40 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

baker's kilobyte

Re: Due South (Canadian Television)

Postby baker's kilobyte » Wed Sep 24, 2008 11:32 pm UTC

I used to play Reach in highschool, and Due South was always popping up in the questions. That's how I know what it is. I'm too young to have watched it when it aired (I was in kindergarten when it started), so I can't really comment on the show itself...

As for the other "awesome" Canadian shows you mentioned, Corner Gas isn't all that great, imo. Reboot == win. If you counted all the awesome kids' shows Canada has produced, the list would be quite a bit longer. Also, if you're counting Red Green Show, RCAF (mostly the older stuff) should also be on that list. :P

Mighty Jalapeno

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Wed Sep 24, 2008 11:43 pm UTC

Old-school Air Farce, definitely, back when it was the original four.

I think to find Corner Gas funny, you need to be authentically Canadian.

baker's kilobyte

Postby baker's kilobyte » Thu Sep 25, 2008 3:23 am UTC

I'm sorry, I'm trying very hard not to take that the wrong way, because I'm sure that's not how you meant it-- but, what do you mean by "authentically" Canadian? Like, I should be a toque-sporting, beer-drinking lumberjack/curler who says "aboot" instead of "about" and adds "eh" to the end of every sentence? (Er, just to clarify: that wasn't meant to be offensive; it's a shout-out to a Molson ad from a long time ago.) I just think Corner Gas draws too much on "small-town" humour and doesn't really do anything... I mean, when Stephen Leacock did it, it was brilliant (thinking Sunshine Sketches), but it's kind of not always that funny anymore. At least, not to me.

Mathmagic
It's not as cool as that Criss Angel stuff.

Postby Mathmagic » Thu Sep 25, 2008 3:58 am UTC

I find Corner Gas brilliant, and am also a fan of the throwback RCAF. Made In Canada was pretty good too. This Hour Has 22 Minutes was good when Mercer was still on it. The Red Green Show is good for daytime television.

Due South was just before my time; at least my non-children's-show watching age. I'll have to dig up some old episodes of it.
Axman: That, and have you played DX 10 games? It's like having your corneas swabbed with clits made out of morphine.
Pathway: cocks cocks cocks

Mighty Jalapeno

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Thu Sep 25, 2008 5:21 am UTC

baker's kilobyte wrote:I'm sorry, I'm trying very hard not to take that the wrong way....

I apologize, I'm positive you weren't listed as being from Canada when I replied. Too often I talk online to Americans who've seen Corner Gas, and don't get it. My apologies. A lot of Canadians don't like Corner Gas, I know. It's about as dry as non-British TV gets.

cypherspace

Postby cypherspace » Thu Sep 25, 2008 10:57 am UTC

I used to love Due South. It was hugely popular over here, I think it was shown at 6pm on BBC Two on Saturdays. My mum's a big fan. So when we went over to Toronto in (I think) 1995, it was awesome to happen to catch it being filmed in what I think was called the Skywalk, not sure if it still is.
"It was like five in the morning and he said he'd show me his hamster"

Mother Superior
Better than tea

Postby Mother Superior » Thu Sep 25, 2008 8:10 pm UTC

Loved Due South, it used to be on swedish television and I watched every episode, I think. Still got most of them on my computer, but I haven't watched them in years.
My crappy creepy? Crabby? My crabby blog.
"She bore also the fruitless deep with his raging swell, Pontus, without sweet union of love."
- Hesiod, Theogony

Mathmagic

Postby Mathmagic » Thu Sep 25, 2008 9:34 pm UTC

For the record, until you started quoting the show, I thought you were talking about North of 60, and I was all like "What the hell? That show wasn't even that good!".
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:A lot of Canadians don't like Corner Gas, I know. It's about as dry as non-British TV gets.

I'll usually find a Canadian that doesn't like Little Mosque on the Prairie before finding someone that doesn't like Corner Gas.
Axman: That, and have you played DX 10 games? It's like having your corneas swabbed with clits made out of morphine.

Mighty Jalapeno

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Thu Sep 25, 2008 9:37 pm UTC

North of 60 sucked... yeah, that's what people want to see: Law & Order, but in the Yukon! Also, without the witty writing. Bleh.

Little Mosque is awesome... Papa Joe Fucking Yakavetta as a cheap Indian contractor, and half-Welsh Sitara Hewitt as a fundamentalist Muslim babe. That's multiculturalism. Still a lot of people don't like it.

Mathmagic

Postby Mathmagic » Thu Sep 25, 2008 9:52 pm UTC

I find that it tries to... *force* the humour a bit too much. It's like they do something that's supposed to be funny, and they let you know that it's funny, as if you're supposed to laugh right then and there. I guess it's basically a multicultural version of Corner Gas, but with a Mosque instead of a gas station; I just don't think it's as witty as Corner Gas is.

Mighty Jalapeno

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Thu Sep 25, 2008 9:57 pm UTC

Not as witty... it's still at the vaudeville "BAM!!! FUNNY!!! LAUGH, DAMMIT!!!!" stage. Still pretty damn funny, though, for a show based entirely on racist tropes.

Abstruse

Postby Abstruse » Thu Sep 25, 2008 10:02 pm UTC

I once saw a Canadian show based around around a trailer park. I watched an entire season while drunk off my ass and found it hilarious.

I have never seen any of the other shows you mentioned.

BTW are you insinuating that 30 Rock isn't funny? Well then, you are just WRONG.

Mighty Jalapeno

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Thu Sep 25, 2008 10:09 pm UTC

Trailer Park Boys :) It was a movie, and 4 awesome seasons.... and 2-3 crappy seasons. :( They should have stopped....

Abstruse

Postby Abstruse » Thu Sep 25, 2008 10:18 pm UTC

Mighty Jalapeno wrote:Trailer Park Boys :) It was a movie, and 4 awesome seasons.... and 2-3 crappy seasons. :( They should have stopped....

That's it, lol.

Just remembering the car that guy drove. And his friend who always had the drink in his hand, makes me laugh so hard.

Mighty Jalapeno

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Thu Sep 25, 2008 10:27 pm UTC

This year, I'm going as Ricky for Hallowe'en, my one brother in law is going as Julian with the drink, and my other brother in law (who looks and sounds like Bubbles, and ACTUALLY HAS GLASSES THAT THICK) is, of course, going as bubbles. The wives are going as Lucy and Sarah. :)

Abstruse

Postby Abstruse » Thu Sep 25, 2008 10:32 pm UTC

Mighty Jalapeno wrote:This year, I'm going as Ricky for Hallowe'en, my one brother in law is going as Julian with the drink, and my other brother in law (who looks and sounds like Bubbles, and ACTUALLY HAS GLASSES THAT THICK) is, of course, going as bubbles. The wives are going as Lucy and Sarah. :)

Lol. Last year my roomates and I went as "The Magic Carpet Scene From Alladin"

One as Jasmine
One as Alladin
Me as the carpet.

Halloween costumes should be a thread

Return to “Movies and TV Shows”