O Brother Where Art Thou

Rot your brains, then rot our boards

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Savvycow

O Brother Where Art Thou

Postby Savvycow » Sat Oct 11, 2008 3:35 am UTC

I just watched this the other night and I finally realized how great of a movie it actually is.

From the acting to the portrayal of the Odyssey, I believe this movie is very underrated.

I especially appreciated how they were even able to tie in the Odyssey with Great-Depression era US.

What do you guys think?

Jack.H

Re: O Brother Where Art Thou

Postby Jack.H » Sat Oct 11, 2008 5:45 am UTC

I thoroughly enjoyed it, but I'm not aware of it being underrated, I thought that most people who took the time to see it were satisfied. o.o
We smile disdainfully at those old words fatherland and religion.

Malice

Postby Malice » Sat Oct 11, 2008 6:03 am UTC

Personally, I think it's a bit overrated. Structurally it's kinda weak, the parallels to the Odyssey are surface-level, and there are some pretty wild tone-shifts that kinda throw you out of the movie. But it's still probably in the upper half of Coen Bros. movies.

charliepanayi

Postby charliepanayi » Sat Oct 11, 2008 12:34 pm UTC

I think it's one of the best movies that the Coen Brothers have done - very funny in places ("damn, we're in a tight spot!"), and has just the right amount of surreal nature to it. And the music is excellent.
"Excuse me Miss, do you like pineapple?"

"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work, I want to achieve it through not dying"

Rodan
Any title.

Postby Rodan » Sun Oct 12, 2008 11:15 pm UTC

I really, really like this movie.
I can't decide if this or Fargo is my favourite Coen Bros. movie I've seen.

Various Varieties

Postby Various Varieties » Sun Oct 12, 2008 11:32 pm UTC

Malice wrote:the parallels to the Odyssey are surface-level,

That's part of the point, isn't it? I'm sure I read somewhere (IMDb trivia?) that the joke is that they did an adaptation of the Odyssey without actually having read it (or at least, that's their pretence for the purposes of the joke).

I only got round to watching the film a few years ago, after it had been lying in my/my mum's DVD collection for ages. It was the first Coen Brothers film I saw, and I loved it: within a couple of weeks of watching it I'd also seen Fargo (even better) and The Big Lebowski (didn't quite live up to its unassailable reputation, but still a good comedy). Since then I've seen Barton Fink (whether I agree with them or not, the numerous interpretations of that film are fascinating - Adaptation is my favourite film about writer's block though!), and bought Miller's Crossing on DVD (not watched that yet). Saw the excellent No Country for Old Men at the cinema, and intend to see Burn After Reading soon.

So, I don't remember enough of the specifics of OBWAT? to really review it in this thread, but the Coens in general: love them.

Ati
Location: I'll give you a hint: it's dry, and slightly radioactive.

Postby Ati » Mon Oct 27, 2008 9:28 pm UTC

I quite liked this movie. I actually wasn't aware it was the Coen brothers... Which actually explains a lot, stylistically speaking. It was a little surreal, a little over the top, and quite funny.
I can kill you with my brain.

cephalopod9

Postby cephalopod9 » Tue Oct 28, 2008 6:09 am UTC

My mom's side of the family loves this movie, and I heard the sound track a while before I saw it. The music is pretty awesome.

I also didn't realize it was a Coen brother's film, although I didn't really know their stuff when I saw it. (Same with Raising Arizona).
Last edited by cephalopod9 on Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:57 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Chai Kovsky

Postby Chai Kovsky » Wed Oct 29, 2008 6:46 am UTC

I've always loved the music in this film. My choir is actually singing "Down to the River to Pray" for our concert in two weeks, and I choreographed a pas de deux to the Sirens' Song a few years back.

I enjoyed this film more before I read the Odyssey than after, though. I kept looking for cool parallels and there really weren't any other than those surface-level. If that was the Coen brothers' idea of a joke, I think it's the kind that hurts the movie.
Spoiler:
kellsbells wrote:¡This Chai is burning me!
Chai Kovsky wrote:I can kill you with my brain.

That is all.
superglucose wrote:In other words: LISTEN TO CHAI.
Delayra wrote:Yet another brilliant idea from Chai!

I <3 Pirate.Bondage!

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.
Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Postby Angua » Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:25 pm UTC

I liked it as it was funny and George Clooney. It doesn't do very good parallels, but it's still good so long as you aren't watching it solely for that.
Crabtree's bludgeon: “no set of mutually inconsistent observations can exist for which some human intellect cannot conceive a coherent explanation, however complicated”
GNU Terry Pratchett

TheStranger

Postby TheStranger » Sat Nov 01, 2008 1:34 pm UTC

O Brother where art thou is among my all time favorite movies. I'm not sure why, but it's just one that I always really enjoy.
"To bow before the pressure of the ignorant is weakness."
Azalin Rex, Wizard-King of Darkon

Rizzo

Postby Rizzo » Mon Nov 03, 2008 2:37 am UTC

This is a great movie for me. I had watched it with my family, and I enjoyed it thoroughly. I still have yet to read the Odyssey, but once I do, I believe I will be able to see even more of the parallels in the movie and the book. Oh, and the music was good, too.

cypherspace

Postby cypherspace » Mon Nov 03, 2008 11:21 am UTC

Again, the parallels with the Odyssey are not meant to be anything other than humourous. I love this movie though. The performances, the script and the soundtrack are all a joy. Just take it on face value and don't try to read anything deeper into it. It's a yarn and nothing more.
"It was like five in the morning and he said he'd show me his hamster"

Return to “Movies and TV Shows”