Most twisted movie you've seen?

Rot your brains, then rot our boards

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Sea Ferring

Most twisted movie you've seen?

Postby Sea Ferring » Sun Nov 30, 2008 2:27 am UTC

I got the inspiration for this topic today when I watched The Girl Next Door. That is without a doubt the most twisted movie I've seen? Everything about it was so; off.

The beginning makes it seem all nice and reminded me of Stand By Me, but a certain event (won't say what) completely changes the mood and it just turns into, into... I can barely think about this movie it was so terrifying, and wrong, and overall off putting.

I'm a pretty unsqueamish guy, I can watch almost anything without but this was just the worst.

So, what was the most twisted movie you've seen?

Also what other movie can you say

Spoiler:
I just saw a girl get her clitoris burnt off with a blowtorch after having sex with her cousin?
Last edited by Sea Ferring on Mon Dec 01, 2008 1:47 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Re: Most twisted movie you've seen?

Postby SecondTalon » Sun Nov 30, 2008 5:53 am UTC

Buh?

See... this is why it's useful to provide a link to the film you're talking about. I can only assume that you mean this one, or that you're being incredibly sarcastic.

Also, we have spoiler tags. You can use them to mention whatever it is that you didn't want to say.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Sea Ferring

Postby Sea Ferring » Sun Nov 30, 2008 6:33 am UTC

SecondTalon wrote:Buh?

See... this is why it's useful to provide a link to the film you're talking about. I can only assume that you mean this one, or that you're being incredibly sarcastic.

Also, we have spoiler tags. You can use them to mention whatever it is that you didn't want to say.

Thank you, in case you haven't guessed I'm new here.

Mzyxptlk

Postby Mzyxptlk » Sun Nov 30, 2008 10:32 am UTC

Apocalypse Now takes the prize.
"Once upon a time, an infinite number of people lived perfect, blissful, eternal lives."

ishikiri

Postby ishikiri » Sun Nov 30, 2008 5:05 pm UTC

The worst for me would have to be Pusher. Pusher is considered to be the first ever ganster film produced in Denmark. Notable scenes include graphic torture and a junkie blowing his head off with a shotgun.

Special mention to Requim for a Dream.

I would also like mention The Wind the Shakes that Barley. I haven't actually seen it all the way through, just flicked to in the adverts of another movie, however the torture scene I flicked onto was not fun to watch. Christ the British were nasty bastards during that war; then again the Irish kept throwing nail bombs into pubs. Yay!
clintonius wrote:The "thwak thwak thwak" in this movie makes me think they cranked up a powerpoint slideshow of angry pictures set to the soundtrack of a furious masturbator.

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.
Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Postby Angua » Sun Nov 30, 2008 6:54 pm UTC

Hot Fuzz was pretty twisted but hilarious all the same.
Spoiler:
Starts out like your normal big shot city cop moves to country village and ends up with an entire shootout in the middle of the village
Crabtree's bludgeon: “no set of mutually inconsistent observations can exist for which some human intellect cannot conceive a coherent explanation, however complicated”
GNU Terry Pratchett

pollywog
Let's party like it's my postcount

Postby pollywog » Mon Dec 01, 2008 12:38 am UTC

Altered States. Whoa. Spoilered below is the Plot section from the Wiki article, which goes a long way towards explaining why it's so twisted.

Spoiler:
Edward Jessup (Hurt) is a university professor of abnormal psychology who, while studying schizophrenia, begins to think that "our other states of consciousness are as real as our waking states."[2] Jessup begins experimenting with sensory-deprivation using a flotation tank, and he travels to Mexico to participate in a fictionalized amanita muscaria ceremony where he experiences bizarre, intense, paradigm-shifting imagery. The professor then returns to the U.S. with a mushroom tincture and begins taking it orally before each session in the flotation tank where he undergoes a series of increasingly drastic psychological and physical transformations.

Doctor Edward Jessup's mind experiments lead him down a path of actual, physical biological devolution. At one stage he emerges from the isolation tank as a feral and curiously small-statured, light-skinned Primitive Man. In a subsequent experiment he is regressed into a mostly amorphous mass of conscious, primordial matter. It is only the physical intervention of his wife Emily which brings him back from this latter, shocking transformation in which he seems poised on the brink of becoming a non-physical form of proto-consciousness and possibly disappearing from our version of reality altogether.

The experiments go even further out of control in that Professor Jessup experiences episodes of involuntary spontaneous temporary partial de-evolution. This occurs outside of the isolation tank and without the intake of additional doses of the hallucinogenic tincture. His early reaction is more one of fascination than concern, but as his priorities gradually change via Emily's unwavering determination to keep from losing him to some unfathomable state of non-being he finally begins to act like someone who values his humanity more than the vast, impersonal nothingness that underlies all of existence.

Whoa. I first watched this on acid. Awesome visuals. But it freaked the shit out of me.
suffer-cait wrote:hey, guys?
i'm fucking magic

Amarantha

Postby Amarantha » Mon Dec 01, 2008 1:08 am UTC

Bad Boy Bubby was pretty dodgy.

aion7
Location: In a base with which you identify, killing dudes to whose team you belong

Postby aion7 » Mon Dec 01, 2008 3:24 am UTC

Naked Lunch was twisted in a "whoa, trippy" sort of way, as opposed to a holyshitextremesexandviolence sort of way, but still extremely twisted.

The Silence of the Lambs deserves some mention as well.
Spoiler:
Zeroignite wrote:And you have suddenly become awesome.

joshz wrote:Oh, you so win.

internets++ for aion7.

jerdak wrote:Nothing says hello like a coconut traveling near the speed of light.

charliepanayi

Postby charliepanayi » Mon Dec 01, 2008 9:34 am UTC

Society. I couldn't look at mozarella cheese for ages after seeing that film.
"Excuse me Miss, do you like pineapple?"

"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work, I want to achieve it through not dying"

nona

Postby nona » Mon Dec 01, 2008 5:45 pm UTC

Klapaucius

Postby Klapaucius » Mon Dec 01, 2008 10:47 pm UTC

I'm not one for twisted movies, but I'll have to mention Man Bites Dog. It helped that I saw it a few minutes in, with no context to put it in, so I wasn't sure if it was a real documentary.
Most of the movie had a breezy and even poetic quality, thanks to the, er, protagonist, but the birthday party scene cemented the haunting creepiness for me.
500%!

nsmjohn

Postby nsmjohn » Mon Dec 01, 2008 11:24 pm UTC

I would like to second the Requiem for a Dream special mention.

Also, Hard Candy.
Gojoe wrote:Well, I would say something here, but it would only make it worse.

Surgery

Postby Surgery » Tue Dec 02, 2008 4:52 am UTC

Surprised it hasn't been mentioned, maybe it's too obvious, but:
Begotten
Spoiler:
Starts with God disemboweling himself with a straight razor. Mother Earth then rises from the bowels, jerks off the now dead God and impregnates herself with his seed. She gives birth to a quivering man-child. They go ... somewhere? She gets raped by the cloaked people who live there, they collar-and-leash and beat her kid (I think, it's been a while). Then we get about 45 minutes of shots of the sky and them walking around and the sun and dirt. Something or other happens and grass grows out of the dirt. We get a shot of Mother Nature standing in a forest. The End.

I also have the dubious honor of having made my instructor in a digital video class exclaim "What a twisted story!" Young boy is convinced the forest is telling him to kill people because they have committed horrible crimes. Boy meets Girl. Falls in love. Girls wants to photograph Boy murdering people because she wants to be an artist. Girl convinces Boy to commit murder in broad daylight and both are killed by a cop.

Perfectly normal, right?

Pa-Patch

Postby Pa-Patch » Tue Dec 02, 2008 6:15 am UTC

I couldn't finish it, but me and a group of pals tried to watch Salò (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sal%C3%B2_o_le_120_giornate_di_Sodoma).
It was horrifying and incredibly disgusting.

TheAmazingRando

Postby TheAmazingRando » Tue Dec 02, 2008 6:28 am UTC

I was going to mention Begotten as well. I watched it alone, after midnight, with all the lights out, which made it even more surreal.

Beyond that, Visitor Q by Takashi Miike. I don't remember the whole thing, but
Spoiler:
The opening scene is a lengthy shot of a man having sex with his prostitute daughter, who mocks him for coming too early. At home, his wife is constantly beaten by his son, who keeps a variety of implements in his room for that purpose. Later, a guest in his house teaches his wife how to shoot milk out of her nipples, which she loves, and does at every opportunity, eventually flooding the kitchen with it. The man, still insecure about his daughter's mockery, rapes a coworker to prove he isn't an "early bird," but accidentally kills her. He takes the body home with him and violates her corpse in his back yard. Rigor mortis sets in (which he realizes after she defecates on him) and his cock gets stuck inside of her. His wife cheerfully helps him into the bathtub and buys a variety of possible lubricants until they finally free him. Some boys from their son's school come to torment him, so they brutally murder them, dismember them, and hide them in garbage bags. The film ends with a shot of the man and his daughter suckling his wife.

I guess along those same lines, I've also watched Audition and Ichi the Killer.

anouk

Postby anouk » Tue Dec 02, 2008 7:04 am UTC

The Plot of The Butterfly Effect is pretty twisted, but it is a great movie.
Someone say something funny please, I need a new signature.

PatrickRsGhost

Postby PatrickRsGhost » Tue Dec 02, 2008 12:04 pm UTC

Four movies come to mind:

Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me - That one tops my list for all sorts of fucked up the movie is.

Spoiler:
The father did it.

The Triplets of Belleville - Primarily a French animated film, it has very little dialogue, but the drawings are a bit messed up, and the plot is even weirder.

The Innocents - A woman is hired to care for two children who have both witnessed something horrible, and has caused them to behave oddly. She herself begins to witness strange events in the home. Based on the novel "The Turn Of The Screw". It has no major special effects, but it can really mess with your mind.

Pink Floyd: The Wall - Need I say more?
PRG

An important message for you:

Nyarlathotep
Not a god. Not even a titan.

Postby Nyarlathotep » Tue Dec 02, 2008 6:04 pm UTC

I have not seen it, thank god, but Testuto: Iron Man. Wiki it yourself, I don't want to look at the page again.
'Gehȳrst þū, sǣlida, hwæt þis folc segeð?
hī willað ēow tō gafole gāras syllan,
ǣttrynne ord and ealde swurd,
þā heregeatu þe ēow æt hilde ne dēah.

Malice

Postby Malice » Tue Dec 02, 2008 7:57 pm UTC

Eraserhead is pretty fucking insane.

An obscure, strange movie I liked is called "Save the Green Planet". It's an Asian import (Korea, I think?) about a guy who may or may not be insane who abducts a CEO and tortures him because the main character thinks the CEO is the vanguard of an alien invasion. It's filled with all sorts of nasty or odd things, and it's especially uncomfortable because you spend most of the movie unsure whether this guy's actions are justified or not. Very interesting stuff.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Tue Dec 02, 2008 9:32 pm UTC

Oh, I forgot about that one..

Tetsuo: Iron Man is pretty fucked up.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Mighty Jalapeno
Inne Juste 7 Dayes I Wille Make You A Hero!

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Tue Dec 02, 2008 9:40 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:Oh, I forgot about that one..

Tetsuo: Iron Man is pretty fucked up.

Wikis...

Man, you people have seen worse stuff than I have! Bug's about the most twisted thing I've seen, but since it's mostly psychological, I don't even think it ranks up here.

b.i.o
Green is the loneliest number

Postby b.i.o » Tue Dec 02, 2008 9:55 pm UTC

Battle Royale, anyone?

shieldforyoureyes

Postby shieldforyoureyes » Tue Dec 02, 2008 10:04 pm UTC

Nyarlathotep wrote:I have not seen it, thank god, but Testuto: Iron Man. Wiki it yourself, I don't want to look at the page again.

The curious thing is that once you get past the sensory overload onslaught, Tetsuo is a gorgeously shot art film.

Also, Tetsuo is the tip of the iceburg. Lots of stuff like that if you go hunting.

The Spherical Cow

Postby The Spherical Cow » Tue Dec 02, 2008 10:08 pm UTC

I've always thought that "The Happiness of the Katchikuris" was pretty twisted. But humorously so, rather than gory, nasty, mind-fuck twisted.

natraj

Postby natraj » Tue Dec 02, 2008 10:09 pm UTC

I caught about seven minutes of some August Underground movie at a friend's house once and that was all I needed to see of it. It falls in the ridiculously pointlessly graphic category of twisted. I much prefer the psychological kind that makes you sort of O.O at the end. Like Hard Candy.
You want to know the future, love? Then wait:
I'll answer your impatient questions. Still --
They'll call it chance, or luck, or call it Fate,
The cards and stars that tumble as they will.

pronouns: they or he

Phi
Has Proportional Boobs (As rumor has it)

Postby Phi » Tue Dec 02, 2008 10:25 pm UTC

PatrickRsGhost wrote:Pink Floyd: The Wall - Need I say more?

My friend watched that movie over and over one day and his parents found him curled up in a ball rocking back and forth. They took the movie from him and didn't let him have it back for quite some time.
Other than that, I think I'll third the "Requiem for a Dream" mentioning. I watched it for the first time a few days ago, and... wow. It's one of the very few movies I actually called "fucked up." (The Wall being one of them. I'm trying to recall another, but good + twisted movies are hard to find.)

Mighty Jalapeno
Inne Juste 7 Dayes I Wille Make You A Hero!

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Tue Dec 02, 2008 10:27 pm UTC

... now I feel really wierd for seeing Requiem For A Dream as nothing other than a drug movie. It wasn't fucked up at all. I mean, it was a little harsh, but certainly nothing even approaching Eraserhead.

diotimajsh

Postby diotimajsh » Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:22 am UTC

In response to earlier posts:

Man! Hard Candy was so good. Yes, pretty twisted and very intense. But so good! Also, Triplets of Belleville --great movie.

I'm going to supply Satyricon here, even though I don't think it was actually that twisted, just because I can't think of any other weird movies off the top of my head.

(I kind of want to watch Tetsuo: Iron Man and Eraserhead...)
Osha wrote:Foolish Patriarchy! Your feeble attempts at social pressure have no effect on my invincible awesomeness! Bwahahahaa

Blog type thing

TheAmazingRando

Postby TheAmazingRando » Wed Dec 03, 2008 2:00 am UTC

I watched Salo last night. Unfortunately, the version I acquired didn't have subtitles, so I couldn't understand any of the dialogue. It was easy enough to follow though. The last scene was incredibly graphic (scalping and eye-gouging, in particular) but the rest of it wasn't so bad. The things the characters are doing are, of course, absolutely terrible, but the visuals themselves were pretty mild.

PatrickRsGhost

Postby PatrickRsGhost » Wed Dec 03, 2008 2:16 am UTC

Phi wrote:
PatrickRsGhost wrote:Pink Floyd: The Wall - Need I say more?

My friend watched that movie over and over one day and his parents found him curled up in a ball rocking back and forth. They took the movie from him and didn't let him have it back for quite some time.
Other than that, I think I'll third the "Requiem for a Dream" mentioning. I watched it for the first time a few days ago, and... wow. It's one of the very few movies I actually called "fucked up." (The Wall being one of them. I'm trying to recall another, but good + twisted movies are hard to find.)

I didn't watch it over and over in one day, but I did watch it once daily for almost an entire Summer Vacation when I was 8, and I turned out fine. *nervous twitch*

I even recorded it onto audio tape and would listen to it while coloring or doing some other arts-and-crafts project at my little desk in the dining room. Again, I turned out fine. *falls to floor, begins to rock back and forth, screaming*
PRG

An important message for you:

cephalopod9

Postby cephalopod9 » Wed Dec 03, 2008 4:42 am UTC

Is The Wall available anywhere on the internet? I can't seem to find it at the video stores...

Tideland. To be honest, I didn't think it was that disturbing, but it's definitely freaked some people out. The whole putting children in perilous situations really seems to bother people for some reason.
Spoiler:
Little girl's parents over dose and she gets left in the middle of nowhere with her father's corpse

A Clockwork Orange, not as much as the book.

xeilmach

Postby xeilmach » Wed Dec 03, 2008 6:19 am UTC

Lately I've watched "Red" in my English class. It's about these teens who shoot this old guy's dog and he's going all out to get revenge. I think these movies are kind of pointless, with just blood in the end.

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.

Postby Angua » Wed Dec 03, 2008 5:38 pm UTC

b.i.o wrote:Battle Royale, anyone?

I was going to say that, it was bizarre.
Crabtree's bludgeon: “no set of mutually inconsistent observations can exist for which some human intellect cannot conceive a coherent explanation, however complicated”
GNU Terry Pratchett

smw543

Postby smw543 » Thu Dec 04, 2008 7:33 am UTC

Straw Dogs. Specifically, the version shown in America, in which they were forced to
Spoiler:
cut out the second rape because, essentially, one rape was pushing it, two was unacceptable (according to the MPAA.) It ended up making it seem like she enjoyed being raped, whereas the unedited version makes it clear that she did not.
It was an excellent film, as far as execution goes (aside from the spoiler'd editing issue;) the acting, directing, etc. were great, and I definitely recommend it. But even the unedited version (which didn't have the aforementioned problem) was pretty questionable, as far as Peckinpah's values go; that scene was originally cut down because it was too brutal, and the ending was a bit excessive.
Spoiler:
LE4dGOLEM wrote:Now you know the difference between funny and sad.
Ubik wrote:But I'm too fond of the penis to let it go.
gmalivuk wrote:If you didn't want people to 'mis'understand you, then you probably should have tried saying something less stupid.

TheAmazingRando

Postby TheAmazingRando » Thu Dec 04, 2008 7:40 am UTC

I don't recall which version of the film I saw, but it's pretty twisted either way.

SirMustapha

Postby SirMustapha » Thu Dec 04, 2008 1:18 pm UTC

I watched The Wall only once, about five or six years ago. I don't remember precisely what was my reaction back then, but right now, what I remember of it is pretty dumb. It was an attempt at making something "serious" out of an album which thrives on being puffed-up and ridiculously overblown.

Phill

Postby Phill » Thu Dec 04, 2008 2:11 pm UTC

Angua wrote:Hot Fuzz was pretty twisted but hilarious all the same.
Spoiler:
Starts out like your normal big shot city cop moves to country village and ends up with an entire shootout in the middle of the village

WTF? Hot Fuzz is one of my favourite movies (I love Simon Pegg / Edgar Wright stuff in general). 'Twisted' is not a word I'd use to describe it.

One of the most bizarre movies I think I've seen (I don't usually like twisted stuff) is "The Last Temptation of Christ", which has a very ... interesting take on the life of Christ. Although I think it's not really twisted, just a bit weird! (And long. Very, very, long.)

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.

Postby Angua » Thu Dec 04, 2008 2:23 pm UTC

Phill wrote:
Angua wrote:Hot Fuzz was pretty twisted but hilarious all the same.
Spoiler:

WTF? Hot Fuzz is one of my favourite movies (I love Simon Pegg / Edgar Wright stuff in general). 'Twisted' is not a word I'd use to describe it.

One of the most bizarre movies I think I've seen (I don't usually like twisted stuff) is "The Last Temptation of Christ", which has a very ... interesting take on the life of Christ. Although I think it's not really twisted, just a bit weird! (And long. Very, very, long.)
It's one of my favourite movies as well. I guess it depends on your definition of twisted, but for me the way it looks like when it starts and the way it finishes are so different, it has twists in there somewhere.
GNU Terry Pratchett

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Thu Dec 04, 2008 5:18 pm UTC

Plot Twists are not the same as the usage of Twisted for this thread.

Most Twisted/Bizarre/Demented/Nauseating/HumanityHateInducing/Mindfucking movies might be a better way of phrasing it, but that's too much to fit in the subject.

Return to “Movies and TV Shows”