Kings

Rot your brains, then rot our boards

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

athelas
A Sophisticated Plagiarism Engine

Kings

Postby athelas » Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:15 am UTC

I'm kind of psyched for this new show. Loosely based on the David and Goliath story, it takes place in an alternate history where nation-states are still ruled by monarchies, albeit with modern touches.
“From executive producer Michael Green (NBC’s “Heroes”) comes a riveting new drama about a modern day monarchy. “Kings” is a contemporary re-telling of the timeless tale of David and Goliath. This series is an epic story of greed and power, war and romance, forbidden loves and secret alliances — and a young hero who rises to power in a modern-day kingdom. King Silas Benjamin (Ian McShane, “Deadwood”) is the well-entrenched king of Gilboa, whose flag bears a divine butterfly symbol. Gilboa has its capital in Shiloh, a clean new city that is unspoiled by time or litter. Silas must deal with the tensions rising between Gilboa and neighboring nation Gath. When several prisoners of war are taken, a young soldier, David Shepard (Chris Egan, “Eragon”), defies orders and crosses enemy lines to save them. Unknown to David, the soldier he saves is Jack Benjamin (Sebastian Stan, “The Covenant”), the son of the king. From that day forth, David’s life will never be the same.
The plot summary does make it sound a little predictable (boy does great heroic feat, gets brought to court on a tide of popularity, but some people aren't happy with it, etc.) but the early reviews are pretty positive. I'm a big fan of alternate history, so I hope this ends up being good. It starts on March 15.

Edit: More reviews (minor spoilers)

athelas

Re: Kings

Postby athelas » Sun Mar 15, 2009 8:33 pm UTC

Premiere out tonight (and on Hulu). Anyone else watching?

casiguapa

Postby casiguapa » Sun Mar 15, 2009 8:52 pm UTC

I'll be downloading it at some point this week. I've only heard good things about it so far in previews and cast interviews, so I can't wait to see the series premiere
<SugarTits> What's a penis?
<Casiguapa> Heisenberg

headprogrammingczar

Postby headprogrammingczar » Mon Mar 16, 2009 12:47 pm UTC

I just watched it, and every scene played out like the end to an epic 3 hour movie. I can't wait for more episodes.
<quintopia> You're not crazy. you're the goddamn headprogrammingspock!
<Weeks> You're the goddamn headprogrammingspock!
<Cheese> I love you

athelas

Postby athelas » Mon Mar 16, 2009 5:34 pm UTC

I liked it. Ian McShane is always fun to watch, and the show has an interesting look.

Can we tell yet whether this is an alternate history of our world, or an entirely fictional one? Very few if any hints were given that linked the setting to real life. Liszt, a real-world composer, was mentioned in the scene with the piano, and their 1800s sound like the not-too-distant past to them, much like ours are to us. Otherwise, the world seemed like something out of a game of Civilization; the building blocks are the same, but it's an entirely different world.

Stabable Offense

Postby Stabable Offense » Tue Mar 17, 2009 4:46 am UTC

I'm hooked already, I'm expecting great things from this show.

athelas

Postby athelas » Tue Mar 17, 2009 4:45 pm UTC

Many cute Biblical correspondences. Shiloh was an Israelite city, Gath was a Philistine one. Silas Benjamin = Saul from the tribe of Benjamin (I guess Saul Benjamin would sound too...Iono, Jewish?). David's last name was Shepherd, which was his Biblical occupation. Saul's daughter Michal became Michelle. Rev. Samuels = the prophet Samuel (Actually the story from the series comes not from Kings but from 1 Samuel, but I can't imagine them calling a TV show "1 Samuel.") Samuel annointed David, which resonates with the early scene where Rev. Samuels touches David's forehead with motor oil.

Ironically, while this series shows Saul's warmongering as the reason for his loss of God's favor, in the Bible the reason Saul lost the favor of God was because he did not prosecute war seriously enough. He was instructed to raze a city but instead looted it and left some prisoners alive. Samuel, enraged, condemned Saul and executed the city's king himself. (Try getting THAT on network TV.)

podbaydoor

Postby podbaydoor » Thu Mar 19, 2009 3:43 am UTC

...a Goliath tank. A Goliath tank. REALLY?
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
a principle or belief, esp. one of the main principles of a religion or philosophy : the tenets of classical liberalism.
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun
a person who occupies land or property rented from a landlord.

headprogrammingczar

Postby headprogrammingczar » Thu Mar 19, 2009 1:15 pm UTC

When I first heard them say Goliath Tank I thought "STARCRAFT!!!"
<quintopia> You're not crazy. you're the goddamn headprogrammingspock!
<Weeks> You're the goddamn headprogrammingspock!
<Cheese> I love you

annals

Postby annals » Thu Mar 19, 2009 7:33 pm UTC

Hmm, that was fairly good.
Spoiler:
With the revelation that Jack is gay, you've got to wonder how the David and Jonathan arc will play out. :P

podbaydoor

Postby podbaydoor » Fri Mar 20, 2009 10:10 pm UTC

Clearly you've never encountered the flourishing subset of David/Jonathan fans in the Bible fanfiction community. The way they write it, that pairing was practically canonical in the original source material. :P
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
a principle or belief, esp. one of the main principles of a religion or philosophy : the tenets of classical liberalism.
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun

athelas

Postby athelas » Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:33 pm UTC

New reference: former King of Carmel.

I can't help but think that the treaty is a terrible idea. The loss of a major city is irreversible but Gath can re-invade at any time. Probably the writers are too busy peace-cheerleading than to worry too much about the terms of the peace.

pooteeweet

Postby pooteeweet » Sun Mar 29, 2009 2:28 am UTC

I hate it when I get really into a show that only has a couple of episodes out yet. I want my good tv when I want it! Not once a week!

MaybeAndroid

Postby MaybeAndroid » Sun Mar 29, 2009 3:48 pm UTC

I really, really like this show. But I am hesitant to get too caught up in it, because pretty much every review that I've read has worried that it'll get cancelled soon, as apparently the ratings are terrible. Which is a shame, because I find it to really entertaining, and I can tell that they know where they're going with the plot. Plus, I like all the world building that's going on, and I'm looking forward to seeing more of it revealed.
'I saw a guy in Venice Beach. When I saw him I thought, is that Leonard Nimoy in drag? But no, it was not Leonard Nimoy. It was just some guy.'

athelas

Postby athelas » Sun Mar 29, 2009 6:34 pm UTC

I like how they aren't afraid to do something as obvious as using the palace guards as comic relief. Like the Bard.

Xeio
Friends, Faidites, Countrymen

Postby Xeio » Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:34 pm UTC

I've watched the first two episodes, I'll probably watch at least the third. I'm kind of curious how they'll keep it interesting with the treaty signed...

athelas

Postby athelas » Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:53 am UTC

Augh...when Michelle was using the laptop towards the end of the episode....they're using Vista! Guess Microsoft polluted alternate universes too :o

Also, wow...the end of the deer scene.

annals

Postby annals » Tue Mar 31, 2009 5:47 am UTC

I'm loving all the references: "Silas has his thousands and David his hundred-thousands," the little kid as Ishbosheth etc. I hope the show sticks around for a while; I'm really interested to see how they'll handle David's transformation from spotless hero to cunning and ruthless politician.

@podbaydoor ...Bible...fan fiction? I really don't want to Google this, do I?

podbaydoor

Postby podbaydoor » Fri Apr 03, 2009 5:48 pm UTC

Here you go! *cheerful*
http://yuletidetreasure.org/archive/fan ... ament.html
http://yuletidetreasure.org/archive/fan ... ament.html

Pros: these links are from the Yuletide Treasure website, which generally means a good- to very good-quality level of writing. Especially with the Old Testament section, the writers often explore "supporting characters" and their stories in interesting ways, or write thought-provoking alternate interpretations of traditional tellings.
Cons: the fics involving passionate Jesus/Judas, you might not want to read those.
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun

athelas

Postby athelas » Mon Apr 06, 2009 6:53 pm UTC

Great episode last night. A number of "oh snap!" moments. From a world-building perspective, it added a lot of depth - people aren't just rolling over and agreeing to give up the territory for the sake of peace, and there's some really disturbing authoritarianism under the glittering pomp of monarchy. (And yet, even when he's being a right bastard, it's so hard to root against McShane.) Samuels acts even more mysterious, and one supporting character got a lot more interesting towards the end.

annals

Postby annals » Tue Apr 07, 2009 9:53 pm UTC

So I see the princess got to carry the Idiot Ball this week. Seriously, is there any other way that possibly could have ended?

ArgonV

Postby ArgonV » Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:28 pm UTC

athelas wrote:people aren't just rolling over and agreeing to give up the territory for the sake of peace, and there's some really disturbing authoritarianism under the glittering pomp of monarchy. (And yet, even when he's being a right bastard, it's so hard to root against McShane.)

You think? Sure, he has some charisma. Well, a lot of it. But when he does things like
Spoiler:
control the media, manufacture the news and using volatile situations to secure his own reign,
it more than cancels out the charisma for me.

Actually, the only people I like so far are Michelle and the palace guards. What do you guys think Michelle's secret is that Silas was alluring to.
Spoiler:
Could she be the daughter of the guy he locked up and visited for more cash?

The character I like the least is Tomasina. She comes of as a total bitch.

Kizyr

Postby Kizyr » Wed Apr 08, 2009 10:02 pm UTC

So... I'm really hooked on this. I'm loving every episode, the acting and characterization are great, the storyline is engaging, and I have a bias towards alternate-earth stories. I even love all the references using the David and Goliath story as the undercurrent of the plotline.

I'm sort of irritating at the quick assumptions that it's going to be canceled. Thus far, I've only found people who love the show, or haven't watched it (the latter of which is the majority, of course)--no one who's seen it and not liked it. The only main problems, to me, are the lack of advertising and time slot.

...basically, I'm just worried about this becoming another Firefly. Although Firefly didn't have any definite end in sight, unlike Kings.

ArgonV wrote:Actually, the only people I like so far are Michelle and the palace guards. What do you guys think Michelle's secret is that Silas was alluring to.

Well, I like everyone as characters, but as far as personality, I'd have to agree (though I do still like David). My favorite bit of characterization is how they portray Silas--you have parts where he's magnanimous and benevolent, followed by decisions that don't let you forget that an absolute monarchy is still a dictatorship.

The last episode was great, particularly seeing how David reacted to the events going on around him. Though the
Spoiler:
"kidnapping the princess"

part was a tad silly. Not unreasonably so, though, considering she does have a bit of the courage-naivete combination. KF
~Kizyr

Delass

Postby Delass » Thu Apr 09, 2009 1:18 am UTC

Spoiler:
It seemed like Silas and David both knew his brother was going to tackle him. And how could they not know which person is david? Even assuming they couldnt just keep track of him from the point he walked in, couldnt they just tell the shooters not to switch targets?

Oh well, it was fun and entertaining, regardless.

Princess Marzipan

Postby Princess Marzipan » Thu Apr 09, 2009 7:10 am UTC

I just watched the two-part opener and I have to wake up in six hours so I'm watching the third.

Interesting premise, believable characters, and inexplicable techno beats. I approve.
"It's Saturday night. I've got no date, a two-liter of Shasta, and my all-Rush mixtape. Let's rock!"
"I am just about to be brilliant!"
General_Norris, on feminism, wrote:If you lose your six Pokémon, you lost.

athelas

Postby athelas » Sun Apr 19, 2009 6:30 pm UTC

Was that a microarray on Crossgen Guy's wall? I approve.

Also, I guess we know Michelle's problem now:
Spoiler:
It's implied that she's infertile, but then she said "I'm promised to someone else." A foreign prince?

athelas

Postby athelas » Mon Apr 20, 2009 4:42 am UTC

athelas wrote:Was that a microarray on Crossgen Guy's wall? I approve.

Also, I guess we know Michelle's problem now:
Spoiler:
It's implied that she's infertile, but then she said "I'm promised to someone else." A foreign prince?

I've got to say I approve of how actions have plot-relevant consequences on this show. David's tank pyrotechnics weren't just a convenient way to get him into court life; they spurred a difficult peace process requiring concessions on the Gilboan side. And people didn't just roll over and take it, they protested, including David's brother, etc.

annals

Postby annals » Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:21 am UTC

On Michelle's thing, I like that they're actually telling us something and not falling into the Lost pattern of "next week, all will be revealed" and then it isn't.

My new pet peeve: too many scenes that involve eating. I do not enjoy watching people chew.

Stabable Offense

Postby Stabable Offense » Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:17 pm UTC

Princess Marzipan

Postby Princess Marzipan » Sun Apr 26, 2009 9:50 pm UTC

I was actually just coming in to post that I'd been greatly aggravated by the episodes since the pilot. The whole David/Michelle thing? I don't fucking care. There's no reason for them to love each other other than that it's a plot device. And that's the only way it's used. It doesn't grow their characters, it just provides filler. And EVVVERY GOD DAMN WEEK it's pretty much the same thing: Silas is an asshole about something despite a bunch of people telling him not to be, then one last person tells him not to be, then he stops being, then everyone talks about God.

Good riddance. Great premise, great start, ABYSMAL follow-through.
"It's Saturday night. I've got no date, a two-liter of Shasta, and my all-Rush mixtape. Let's rock!"

Meloncov

Postby Meloncov » Mon May 11, 2009 5:09 am UTC

Can't wait for June 12th.

Incidentally, large portions of the show are written in iambic pentameter. Thought the people here would appreciate that.

Brother Maynard

Postby Brother Maynard » Tue May 19, 2009 8:21 pm UTC

I gave up on the show after the third episode when it dawned on me that the "story of David" thing was just an annoying gimmick that resulted in a pile of significant names and little else.

Princess Marzipan

Postby Princess Marzipan » Thu May 21, 2009 1:31 pm UTC

Meloncov wrote:Can't wait for June 12th.

Incidentally, large portions of the show are written in iambic pentameter. Thought the people here would appreciate that.

Man, I would if so much of the rest of the show didn't fail at life.

Gentlelady

Postby Gentlelady » Thu May 21, 2009 3:58 pm UTC

I like the show. I've just got done watching the first episode and still want to watch the others. I was surprised I didn't just leave it in the middle. I usually can't even sit through a half hour t.v. show, much less an hour and a half one.

I remember looking forward to this earlier in the year when I first heard about it. I'm excited to watch the rest of the series.
d33p wrote:And Karma rode upon a pale horse, and GentleLady followed behind.
sleepygamer wrote:Once you go sleepy you never go backy.

Princess Marzipan

Postby Princess Marzipan » Sun May 31, 2009 9:44 am UTC

Gentlelady wrote:I'm excited to watch the rest of the series.

=(

That'll change.

athelas

Postby athelas » Sat Jun 13, 2009 3:29 pm UTC

Back tonight, probably tomorrow on Hulu.

Gentlelady

Postby Gentlelady » Sun Jun 14, 2009 1:56 am UTC

Princess Marzipan wrote:
Gentlelady wrote:I'm excited to watch the rest of the series.

=(

That'll change.

): That makes me worry. I haven't had time to sit down and watch the last two episodes.

Lucrece

Postby Lucrece » Sun Jun 14, 2009 3:14 am UTC

I like the show. It's certainly better than the garbage reality TV that seems to swamp channels besides doctor and police dramas.

Showtime and HBO seem to be the only exceptions.

It's a pity it'll be cancelled because we've got a populace that would rather see yet another spin-off of The Apprentice or other form of commercialized sadism that is reality TV.
Belial wrote:That's charming, Nancy, but all I hear when you talk is a bunch of yippy dog sounds.

Kizyr

Postby Kizyr » Sun Jun 14, 2009 2:43 pm UTC

Gentlelady wrote:): That makes me worry. I haven't had time to sit down and watch the last two episodes.

Opinions diverge... I still thoroughly enjoy it, down to the latest episode. KF
~Kizyr

Gentlelady

Postby Gentlelady » Sun Jun 14, 2009 9:16 pm UTC

I sat down and finally watched the rest of the episodes and I still really like the series. It's different from the shows that are on t.v. these days. I hope they don't cancel this show.

Return to “Movies and TV Shows”