Knowing

Rot your brains, then rot our boards

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

HighCharity

Knowing

Postby HighCharity » Sun Apr 05, 2009 12:41 am UTC

A teacher opens a time capsule that has been dug up at his son's elementary school; in it are some chilling predictions -- some that have already occurred and others that are about to -- that lead him to believe his family plays a role in the events that are about to unfold.

I saw this today, it was actually surprisingly good. Discuss.
folkhero wrote:I feel bad for the hooker, but that guy is too annoying to not make fun of.

Are Thefinvispol, Child wrote:Life is, in a word, caverns.

headprogrammingczar

Re: Knowing

Postby headprogrammingczar » Sun Apr 05, 2009 1:26 am UTC

I make it a point to never go to Nicholas Cage movies. He bothers me somehow, plus, he can't act. I'm sure the writing and CG were good though.
<quintopia> You're not crazy. you're the goddamn headprogrammingspock!
<Weeks> You're the goddamn headprogrammingspock!
<Cheese> I love you

ultrasax1

Postby ultrasax1 » Mon Apr 06, 2009 1:11 am UTC

The CG was amazing. The disaster scenes that the paper predicts where mind-boggling. That said, the plot was humming along, just like some horror/action flick, then I don't even know what happened. It's like someone threw a wrench into the plot making machine, or it got a virus, or becane sentient and thought "Hehehe, they'll never expect this!"
Spoiler:
Seriously? Angel-aliens take adam-and-eve-like kids to new planets on giant space ships when this one is wiped out by a massive solar flare? Where did the idea of killer solar flares come from? And only those that can hear are taken? What, was there only room for 2 kids on your asteroid sized ship? I really don't know where they were coming from with the giant solar flare part. Or the aliens/scary not-talking dudes. or much of anything after they discover the end of the world.

Spoiler contains many questions directed at the development team, and massive spoilers.

Allenr

Postby Allenr » Mon Apr 06, 2009 4:01 pm UTC

headprogrammingczar wrote:I make it a point to never go to Nicholas Cage movies. He bothers me somehow, plus, he can't act. I'm sure the writing and CG were good though.

Cage is one of my favorite actors, have you even seen Matchstick Men?

Overall, the movie was good until the ending.
Spell check wanted.
Interview me!
Roĝer wrote:While bunnies taste better, nothing beats the desperate death cry of a puppy, especially when accompanied with the grinding of a chainsaw on canine bones.

Mo0man

Postby Mo0man » Mon Apr 06, 2009 7:20 pm UTC

I used to like Nick Cage. In fact, I'm pretty sure I still do. However, a few months ago, I ran into this random picture from the internet involving him and... how whenever I see anything involving him, I need to giggle

Also: Wicker Man
causa major dormuc vulnero ut ovis goatee
I'm number 20075. Remember that. It's important

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:16 pm UTC

Aside from Matchstick men, I think Nick Cage is the worst thing that has stepped into the shoes of an 'actor'. I actually kind of dug his performance in FaceOff, when he was, you know, acting like John Travolta.

This movie looks fun though, tell me, are the disasters epic and gory and do many people die? Is it like final destination but with faux-math?
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

lemmings

Postby lemmings » Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:11 pm UTC

Its rabbits all the way down.

Spoiler:
Whose idea was it to put rabbits on a planet with presumably no predators? For an omniscient alien species, somehow they missed Australia’s rabbit problem that took only ten years to develop.

SilverPhantom2

Postby SilverPhantom2 » Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:57 pm UTC

I liked it up to the climax:

Spoiler:
When Cage flips the bed over and they read the "Everyone Else" writings is pure genius. But finding out the scary dudes are aliens and just waiting another 45 minutes to watch the earth get lit on fire was just... tiring.

I will say though that the CG WAS amazing. Still, CG doesn't make a movie. Otherwise we could forgive Jumper.

ian

Postby ian » Tue Apr 07, 2009 2:00 pm UTC

Yeah the twist was a bit 'uh, okay then'.
Spoiler:
also annoying how the first two disasters were in the trailer and thus any suspense was eliminated.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Sat Apr 11, 2009 3:35 pm UTC

So to preface, it was loosely based on Arthur C. Clarkes 'Childhood End'. Loosely. Like, sans the social implications and potential religious ramifications and evolutionary mind blow...

I rather enjoyed it, Nick Cage was semi-decent. He had one line that brought back in full force my raging and constant desire to punch him in the dick, when he looked at his son in the midst of horrific crisis and chaos and said:

Spoiler:
I promise you won't die

And I couldn't help but think yes, he is an arrogant shitmonger. But in all fairness, his performance was solid.

So. The movie. I see two glaring plot holes that I hope someone can comment on:
Spoiler:
The first girl to write the numbers, luncinda something or another, was 'chosen' by the whisper people and set down these numbers as a warning. But, why was she Chosen? She wasn't going to be saved, as I'm under the impression the aliens only took children? So... Where they just fucking with her?

Spoiler:
The numbers serve as a warning, a way to convince Nick Cage that something is happening and to get the children to the spot they'd be picked up. So, in other words, incredibly powerful aliens with the power to tell the future, assume different forms, and fly across the galaxy in spire'd energy craft, decided the best way to get two children who they CAN speak with, to a location, was to fuck with one child 50 years prior, make her write some numbers that predict disasters, make another kid get the numbers, make his father realize the numbers predict something, and through a series of events that doesn't actually have to do with the predictive powers of the numbers, get the children to the pick up spot?

Lesser and minor plot holes:
Spoiler:
At the end of the film, Nick Cages son, Calab goes into a trance and starts writing numbers on a sheet of paper... And Nick Cage pulls the sheet from his grasp and shakes him out of it. Why? What if these numbers where something different, a solution to how to prevent the disaster, save humanity, ANYTHING? Given what Nick Cage knows about the previous numbers set, why on Earth would he just shake his son awake?

Spoiler:
as per most movies that try and be clever with their hidden codes, the list of numbers had no consistency. So it had a date, and a death toll , and a GPS coordinates. But the number of digits present in the death toll was never consistent, so it wouldn't actually be useful for predicting the future. What if the next disaster only would have resulted in 8 people dying, not 81, and the GPS coordinate started with a 1? Hollywood numerology.

The imagery was fantastic and very horrific, but all in all, the sheet of numbers had nothing to do with the movie, the end sort of blew it with an implied religious point (the tree). Definitely a fun film, the last scene was in and of itself worth seeing, and the audience, which was normally gasping and laughing uncomfortably at the previous disasters, was stone silent and horrified at the last.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

Tautology

Postby Tautology » Sat Apr 11, 2009 3:55 pm UTC

I feel like an outcast here. I thought this movie was awful! Yes, it looked pretty, but I felt that overall it was badly scripted and pretty run-of-the-mill, despite being based on a somewhat interesting idea of being able to predict future disasters.

There are so, so many things that I could complain about in this movie, but anyone else who didn't enjoy it will probably have noticed the glaring inaccuracies and improbable events. However, I really did want to give Nicholas Cage a good kick when his astrophysics class turned into a philosophy class.

I was dragged to this movie by a friend, and went in expecting it to be bad. Hence, I quite enjoyed it, although not really in the way intended. It's a good movie to watch if you want a laugh.

Spoiler:
I found it pretty hilarious when the spaceship came down. If that's not a terrible movie cliche, I don't know what is.

At first I didn't understand why the two kids were allowed to bring the bunnies with them (although I was overjoyed that they could -- BUNNIES! =D). When I saw all the other spaceships, I naturally assumed that it was other children who had been given this gift. However, someone later told me that they thought it was a Noah's ark reference. Two humans, male and female, two bunnies, most likely male and female, and perhaps two of every other species. This made more sense to me, although I have no idea why in god's name they'd want to do that. I suppose it also ties in with the religious reference to the tree.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Sat Apr 11, 2009 4:27 pm UTC

I also had this image of the kids growing up in paradise, and then becoming teenagers and the movie turning not into another Adam and Eve/Noahs Ark, but Lord of the Flies. Cue 200 years later:
Spoiler:
Aliens have to come back and rescue a new set of kids

headprogrammingczar

Postby headprogrammingczar » Sun Apr 12, 2009 10:32 pm UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:I also had this image of the kids growing up in paradise, and then becoming teenagers and the movie turning not into another Adam and Eve/Noahs Ark, but Lord of the Flies. Cue 200 years later:
Spoiler:
Aliens have to come back and rescue a new set of kids

I can only imagine this being better than what actually went to theaters.
<quintopia> You're not crazy. you're the goddamn headprogrammingspock!
<Weeks> You're the goddamn headprogrammingspock!
<Cheese> I love you

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.
Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Postby Angua » Sat Apr 18, 2009 5:05 pm UTC

Well, I know they liked their bible references:
Spoiler:
They showed that picture of Lucinda's from Ezekiel, which I remember reading somewhere was what some people believed to be the alien abduction story of the bible (he gets taken to heaven in a flaming chariot).
The problem I had with the ending was
Spoiler:
Come on, Adam and Eve? Only two? I hate to think of the inbreeding that would have occurred after 200 years.
Crabtree's bludgeon: “no set of mutually inconsistent observations can exist for which some human intellect cannot conceive a coherent explanation, however complicated”
GNU Terry Pratchett

Gellert1984

Postby Gellert1984 » Sun Apr 19, 2009 2:23 am UTC

Well, I havent seen the movie, but other than the disasters and time capsule, 'what can you say about chocolate covered manhole covers' by larry niven explains the aliens and the rabbits motives a little better I think.

Spoiler:
In that short story a group of academics play with a the adam and eve theory stating that almost every major culture on earth starts with some twist on adam and eve, they make the comparison with horse breeding and what if aliens put us all here to evolve us just as we did with horses? With mountain ranges and rivers acting as corals. The story ends with a humaniform robot that initiated the discussion as well as other random philosphical and scientific quanderies, including the characters trademark question 'what can you say about chocolate covered manhole covers' explaining that he kidnaps anyone who works out the truth to start again on a new world, as he has done with the four academics (2 men 2 women) and several spread throughout the worlds surface, he throws them a chocolate covered manhole cover as a parting gift.

we're horses and the aliens are trying to evolve us From pets into usful slaves as humaniform robots are expensive to produce
the numbers thing is a test of some sort to prove the survivors 'worthy' (not sure if this fits with the movie)
the rabbits are the only thing that will definetly be consumable by humans on the new world

Spoiler is summary of story and reasons why I feel that this story applies.
The only time I question the right to Free Speech is when I watch Fox News, probably due to the fact that I don't think they really believe in it. -Elisa Scaldaferri

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Sun Apr 19, 2009 2:31 pm UTC

Except rabbits eat food too, and rabbits reproduce much faster then we do, and REMEMBER AUSTRALIA!

And the numbers had nothing to do with the survivors worth. It was just, I guess, proof that the numbers makers weren't fucking around. The random series of events that got the kids to the pick up point had nothing to do with KNOWING the numbers. Also, the pick up point could have literally been anywhere. Even in downtown Manhattan

icenine

Postby icenine » Wed Apr 22, 2009 12:39 pm UTC

It was good until the last 30 seconds or so (when they started running to the tree). I think they could've just ended with the kids looking at the leaving spaceship.

Did anyone find the grass in the last scene really fake?

I have to say, though, that I teared up when they did their father-son gesture for the last time.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Wed Apr 22, 2009 1:39 pm UTC

icenine wrote:Did anyone find the grass in the last scene really fake?

It looked very much like the flowing arms of an amoeba to me. The first pan of the grass made me think it was underwater.

Luthen

Postby Luthen » Thu Apr 23, 2009 2:20 am UTC

I haven't seen it yet, but I've heard the plot already so I'll just wait for it reach DVD.

What I wanted to add is that the big, grey, three story building they go into (I think it's Cage's parent's house or something) is in my street. That is all.
My fancy new blog Image I am not a vampire! Image PM my location for a prize!*

rnew: ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNOAVATAR!
*Terms + conditions changeable

alitheiapsis

Postby alitheiapsis » Thu May 14, 2009 4:19 am UTC

My friend reviewed this movie for my school paper. Here is part of her review:

Several scenes in this movie were strikingly similar to those in the 2002 film Signs. Other scenes rendered themselves meaningless or unexplainable by the end of the movie, as if the writers could not fathom an approach that would properly tie the scenes in to the rather depressing conclusion. This particular film presented an ending that any individual who is borderline depressed or has a possibility of suffering from any mental, physical, or spiritual illness at any point in their life should refrain from watching---for health reasons, of course. However, if you are the type of person who enjoys endings that are out-of-the-ordinary and unique, you may enjoy this movie thoroughly because it is truly a memorable film.

She gave it two out of four stars, but she told me she thought it really sucked.

I decline to watch anything with Nicholas Cage in it after the disappointment that was National Treasure Two. The Olmecs in South Dakota? Sorry, no.

Return to “Movies and TV Shows”