District 9

Rot your brains, then rot our boards

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

crp

District 9

Postby crp » Wed May 06, 2009 10:06 pm UTC

Surprised not to find a topic on this

Aliens are forced to land in Africa, an agency takes their ship and the aliens are forced to live in horrible condition with the humans in Africa.
Watch "Alive in joburg", it's a 6-minute short film that inspired the movie

Coming in August

Link to the edited(official) and unedited trailers:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSgLOvH_MMk
http://www.joblo.com/index.php?id=26387

Spacemilk

Re: District 9

Postby Spacemilk » Thu May 07, 2009 2:23 pm UTC

I saw the trailer for this when I went to see X-Men. Do you suppose they blanked out the alien faces just for the trailer, and they'll be shown in the film? I can't decide if I want to see their faces or not. Usually my own imagination does a better job. Nerd alert: I imagined them sort of the way Quarren in Star Wars looked.
milk from space is good for you!

DarkKnightJared

Postby DarkKnightJared » Fri May 08, 2009 5:27 am UTC

Spacemilk wrote:I saw the trailer for this when I went to see X-Men. Do you suppose they blanked out the alien faces just for the trailer, and they'll be shown in the film? I can't decide if I want to see their faces or not. Usually my own imagination does a better job. Nerd alert: I imagined them sort of the way Quarren in Star Wars looked.

I thought they were going to keep the multiple tentacles look from the short film. Looking at the unedited version, I guess they didn't.

And yes, I'm totally seeing this when it comes out.

BMW787

Postby BMW787 » Fri May 08, 2009 5:38 pm UTC

Im curious if its going to be all filmed in a documentary sort of way. If they do it should be fairly short so it doesnt drag on. It seems awesome either way so I will be seeing it.
"I wake up in the morning and I piss excellence." -Ricky Bobby

"Grow up and do coke like an adult." -Daniel Tosh

Cryopyre

District 9

Postby Cryopyre » Fri Jun 19, 2009 9:31 am UTC

I just saw this trailer when I went to see Terminator: Salvation. (do not like, btw). Anyways this seems interesting. From what I gather, aliens are forced to land on our crummy planet due to some mishap, so nations unite to deal with these new aliens. Though they seem to be non-threatening the nations of earth strip them of their technology and force them to live in poverty on earth, where they are segregated. Anyways, they seem to be running a viral campaign like Cloverfield, so kudos to them for taking advantage of the wonders of the internet.

Plotline seems interesting in many ways, I just hope it doesn't get to anvilicious in driving home its message as these movies tend to do.

Please disregard any grammatical mistakes, it's late, but I can't get to sleep yet.
Felstaff wrote:I actually see what religion is to social, economical and perhaps political progress in a similar way to what war is to technological progress.

Gunfingers wrote:Voting is the power to speak your mind. You, apparently, had nothing to say.

cephalopod9

Postby cephalopod9 » Sat Jun 20, 2009 8:46 am UTC

It looks interesting. I saw it after a bunch of fairly comedic trailers, and that was kind of weird.
The documentary style of it is also not helping my growing "I don't know what is real anymore" feeling about video.

Also, is the appropriation of independently produce media by large corporate entities weirding anyone else out? (Like those Microsoft ads using this guys animation style)

Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance

Postby Belial » Mon Jun 22, 2009 4:30 pm UTC

I've mostly only heard of this movie due to the scandal surrounding their decision to have a contest through ign that only male contestants could enter.

Just an amazing call.
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.

They/them

Spacemilk

Postby Spacemilk » Mon Jun 22, 2009 5:35 pm UTC

Belial wrote:I've mostly only heard of this movie due to the scandal surrounding their decision to have a contest through ign that only male contestants could enter.

Just an amazing call.

I haven't heard anything about this and can't seem to find anything on it . . . what was the contest for? And how did the male-contestant-only thing even make it past the person who came up with the contest?

Also I saw the preview again this weekend when I got conned into seeing Year One (I'm sure this is really obvious for everyone, but DO NOT SEE THIS MOVIE. Ever. Ugh.) and apparently the tentacles are no longer blurred out in the preview. So I guess they're sticking with the true documentary feel for the film.
milk from space is good for you!

Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Postby Jesse » Mon Jun 22, 2009 10:26 pm UTC

Ooh! Hammed-up metaphor for apartheid. Sounds exciting...

Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance

Postby Belial » Tue Jun 23, 2009 5:02 pm UTC

Spacemilk wrote:
Belial wrote:I've mostly only heard of this movie due to the scandal surrounding their decision to have a contest through ign that only male contestants could enter.

Just an amazing call.

I haven't heard anything about this and can't seem to find anything on it . . . what was the contest for? And how did the male-contestant-only thing even make it past the person who came up with the contest?

http://blog.newsarama.com/2009/06/11/we-still-have-this-boys-only-bs/
http://hour42.blogspot.com/2009/06/sexism-used-to-create-buzz-for-sd-comic.html
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.

They/them

cephalopod9

Postby cephalopod9 » Wed Jun 24, 2009 2:55 am UTC

That was pretty stupid of them. Any idea how involved the actual movie people were? I'd like to think IGN was the driving force here, which is disappointing in its own right, but I want to like the movie. I wonder what they were thinking, that the movie promotions needed more of a dude-bro feel, they had a role/character for the winner to play, it's some kind of tongue in cheek allusion to the themes of exclusion and othering, or they just weren't.
The website looks cool.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Wed Jun 24, 2009 2:53 pm UTC

cephalopod9 wrote:That was pretty stupid of them. Any idea how involved the actual movie people were? I'd like to think IGN was the driving force here, which is disappointing in its own right, but I want to like the movie. I wonder what they were thinking, that the movie promotions needed more of a dude-bro feel, they had a role/character for the winner to play, it's some kind of tongue in cheek allusion to the themes of exclusion and othering, or they just weren't.
The website looks cool.
According to the second link Belial posted..

That link wrote:As the online backlash picked up, IGN posted a response:

The eligibility requirements for this contest were determined by Columbia TriStar Marketing, the marketing team behind the District 9 film, and were passed on as a directive to IGN as Sponsor of this particular Sweepstakes running on the IGN.com site. While IGN supports gamers of all ages, genders, shapes and sizes, these guidelines were created to foster a buzz for the film among a very narrow target group that the film’s promoters felt would be extremely passionate about the film’s subject matter.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Aluminus

Postby Aluminus » Mon Jun 29, 2009 2:41 am UTC

In addition to the D-9 website, there is the Multi-National United website (their motto is: "Keeping humans safe, by keeping non-humans seperate") as well as a counter-blog by an alien named "Christopher" (a former MNU employee).
fyrenwater wrote:Oh dear God, I just imagined this horrible scenario of a psychotic non-people-person running around, trying to steal the people-person section of people-peoples' brains to implant into their own brain.

cephalopod9

Postby cephalopod9 » Thu Jul 02, 2009 8:03 am UTC

I like the "Maths from Outer Space" test. The compressed gif's and yellow background so sell that.
SecondTalon wrote:According to the second link Belial posted..
Ah, right, got distracted before I read that far.

That link wrote:these guidelines were created to foster a buzz for the film among a very narrow target group that the film’s promoters felt would be extremely passionate about the film’s subject matter.
Hm, Kind of tempted to enter myself and my grandmother... or would that be showing support for douchebaggery?
Is it possible to distinguish between the makers of the film and the promoters of it?

Yubtzock

Postby Yubtzock » Thu Jul 02, 2009 10:04 pm UTC

cephalopod9 wrote:I like the "Maths from Outer Space" test.

I like it! Although 3 minutes of fun and then the last question turns out to be as easy as the first one.

cephalopod9

Postby cephalopod9 » Fri Jul 03, 2009 4:17 am UTC

It's been too long since I've done calculus (and I didn't get to far with it when I did) most of it seems pretty basic if your familiar with the stuff. (got a 9/10 twice...)

Has anyone tried deciphering the alien non-human language? It looks like it has to do with syllables, but as has probably been made clear, I have a short attention span with these things.

DarkKnightJared

Postby DarkKnightJared » Fri Jul 10, 2009 6:58 am UTC

cephalopod9

Postby cephalopod9 » Fri Jul 10, 2009 7:22 am UTC

I don't like the jumpiness, somehow it makes the cg less convincing.

It is cool getting to see a bit of the plot.

Ran4

Postby Ran4 » Mon Jul 13, 2009 12:00 pm UTC

I saw the latest trailer, and... wtf? Is it a comedy or not? That "doctor" (or whatever it was) was supposed to fun (but sure as hell wasn't), but that's about all I know.

Looks like a bad movie.

Moo
Oh man! I'm going to be so rebellious! I'm gonna...

Postby Moo » Mon Jul 13, 2009 12:11 pm UTC

I'm quite excited to see something that looks this well made come out of South Africa (or at least partially), and trust me this looks very well made compared to a lot of SA fare.

Sci fi has often been a prime vehicle for social commentary and I can't think of a better allegory for apartheid than the "them and us" feel of humans vs aliens. Because people in South Africa really were treated like a different species. This film may well be the vehicle to truly capture what it felt like for me as a white South African growing up in the indoctrination and propaganda of apartheid South Africa - the "interviews" with people on the street in the clips (interesting especially when they're non-whites) are extremely reminiscent of the fear the apartheid government used to drive wedges between communities. It is surprising how easily people will behave in that way when they are afraid of something they don't understand. Especially when the powers that be tries their best to make them afraid for their own purposes.
Proverbs 9:7-8 wrote:Anyone who rebukes a mocker will get an insult in return. Anyone who corrects the wicked will get hurt. So don't bother correcting mockers; they will only hate you.
Hawknc wrote:FFT: I didn't realise Proverbs 9:7-8 was the first recorded instance of "haters gonna hate"

Hit3k

District 9

Postby Hit3k » Thu Aug 13, 2009 12:49 pm UTC

HOW AWESOME WAS IT?
I loved it. It's everything sci-fi needs to be and more. I went in with high expectations but even they were too low.
I don't know if this would be a spoiler or not so I'll spoiler it anyway
Spoiler:
Showing humanity as the bad guys for once? FINALLY.

It was wonderful when
Spoiler:
Everyone blew up.
He shot that pig at that one guy

What did you guys/gals think of it?
Sungura wrote:My mom made me watch a star wars. Two of them , actually. The Death Star one and the one where the dude ends up in the swamp with the weird guy who talks funny.

ssbookyu123

Postby ssbookyu123 » Thu Aug 13, 2009 1:24 pm UTC

Just watched the trailer and it seems awsome can't wait to see it.

Kizyr

Postby Kizyr » Thu Aug 13, 2009 2:15 pm UTC

I'm gonna see it this Friday.

For anyone who hasn't, definitely check out
Alive in Jo'burg
when you get the chance. Seeing that got me really excited about District 9. KF
~Kizyr

Xeio
Friends, Faidites, Countrymen

Postby Xeio » Fri Aug 14, 2009 7:20 am UTC

cephalopod9 wrote:I like the "Maths from Outer Space" test. The compressed gif's and yellow background so sell that.
I'm quite annoyed right now.
MathFail.JPG
MathFail.JPG (40.41 KiB) Viewed 6697 times

After doing the math by hand, I couldn't get an answer, so I turned to wolfram alpha...
[url]http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=(x^3%2B5x%2B1)(3x%2B2)[/url]
[url]http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=d/dx+3+x^4%2B2+x^3%2B15+x^2%2B13+x%2B2[/url]

Something fishy is going on with their maths. And now, as if by fate, the [url] tag wont work with those urls :P

Incidentally, I got to the end and apparently guessing the first one was 'correct'...
Last edited by Xeio on Fri Aug 14, 2009 7:27 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Intercept

Postby Intercept » Fri Aug 14, 2009 7:23 am UTC

Shouldn't one of the options start with 3x squared?
"I've always supported pudding, even when it was politically unpopular to do so."-Bill Nye Video

anarkavre

Postby anarkavre » Fri Aug 14, 2009 4:24 pm UTC

I saw it last night at 11:59 and it was good. I'll just say that it makes me despise governments, corporations, and the ugly side of humanity even more. I'll be for the aliens when they get here.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Fri Aug 14, 2009 4:39 pm UTC

I can't wait! I'm seeing it tonight, been waiting since the first awesome trailer.

Dude. HUMAN NATURE BLOOOOOOOWZ
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

Kizyr

Postby Kizyr » Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:55 pm UTC

Intercept wrote:Shouldn't one of the options start with 3x squared?

I believe the real answer should be dy/dx = 12x³ + 6x² + 30x + 13
?

But whatever. The movie still looks awesome. Seeing it tomorrow. KF
~Kizyr

Malice

Postby Malice » Sat Aug 15, 2009 1:21 am UTC

Saw this last night.

Ultimately? Good, but not great.

There's lots to like about it, particularly the direction, which is very skilled at moving quickly without us losing our bearings. The CGI is fantastic (especially in the moments where they switch to lower-rez video), the talking heads come in at the beginning, dump exposition, and leave before they outstay their welcome. The shakycam wasn't awful (although nor was it the best--they overdid it, I think). The main character managed to go from thoughtless and dorky to somewhat more thoughtful and somewhat less dorky, which is an arc you don't see very often. The ending is nice. And I never got tired of seeing that ship hanging in the sky in the background (so I'm glad the director didn't, either).

My main problems with it are:
-although its ideas have potentially a lot of depth, the film didn't really try to explore them as much as I'd hoped.
-the main character is a little underdeveloped; all we basically know about him is that he loves his wife and feels good about his job (later not so good) and is totally racist against aliens.
-rather than expanding on the ideas, the film kinda degenerates into "spew! spew! 'splode! 'splode!" It's sad because science fiction movies so rarely resist the temptation to turn into action hybrids. This movie could have been about our various complicated reactions to aparthied; instead, it becomes a "shoot the bad guys!" escapist action fantasy.
-Also, this is one of those science fiction movies that comes up with a fascinating and engaging world--only so that it can break it as fast as it can. The set-up is brilliant, and then it's mostly just an excuse for the aforementioned gun-battles.

Basically I was hoping for what the trailers promised me: a fake documentary about life in an alien ghetto. What I got was an action movie set in an alien ghetto bookended by talking heads and shot through a shaking camera. If the goal of the filmmakers was to put Blomkamp back in the Halo driver's seat, they've probably accomplished that, but at the price of shortchanging what could have been a truly great film.

Tl;dr: "Schindler's List" would have been a great movie had it delved deep into the character studys of Schindler and Goethe and an examination of the horrors of the concentration camps; instead, the fact that the second half of the movie is Schindler single-handedly taking down the Nazis with a wise-cracking Jew and a whole lot of machine guns left me with a feeling of dissatisfaction at what could have been.

Nath

Postby Nath » Sat Aug 15, 2009 2:41 am UTC

This looks promising. Neill Blomkamp has made some good short films, and the trailer seems to have a similar feel. He was a good choice for the (indefinitely postponed) Halo movie, too.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Sat Aug 15, 2009 5:30 am UTC

Whoof. Very, very entertaining.

While I don't credit the film with an abundance of subtlety, I also don't credit the average movie goer (especially one who see's films of this genre) with an abundance of interpretive skill. Or intelligence. I heard a number of people saying very asinine things on their exit from the film.

More people should see this, and think about how we treat one another.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

Intercept

Postby Intercept » Sat Aug 15, 2009 5:52 am UTC

Kizyr wrote:
Intercept wrote:Shouldn't one of the options start with 3x squared?

I believe the real answer should be dy/dx = 12x³ + 6x² + 30x + 13
?

But whatever. The movie still looks awesome. Seeing it tomorrow. KF

I totally missed the second set of parentheses when I first looked at it.
"I've always supported pudding, even when it was politically unpopular to do so."-Bill Nye Video

Enuja

Postby Enuja » Sat Aug 15, 2009 6:10 am UTC

I saw it today and don't know what to think about it, yet. I need to talk about it and process it more. Which is a pretty good sign about the quality of the film.

I agree with almost everything in Malice's review.

I do agree that the end was probably too much of an action film, but I think it's possible that were some really interesting things going on with exploring the themes of the film during the action at the end. But I'm not sure. Below are a bunch of questions that start out with a pretty simple "what happened?" and go onto some maybe plot-hole questions of the "if you have X power, why don't you do Y?" variety.
Spoiler:
Who was it that started up the control module/small ship while Christopher was handcuffed in the MNU vehicle and Wikus was in control of the Nigerians and turned on the power alien and beat up the Nigerians? Was it the kid, or was it some adult alien who walked into the control module? If it was an adult, who was it? Why did this alien free Wikus and not Christopher? Didn't this alien have control of the ship, not just the power armor that was in the Nigerian's place? Why didn't this alien do useful things beyond controlling the power armor? If they controlled the power armor, why not just walk it out to Christopher, kill the people around him, and have him climb into the power armor, instead of Wikus?

On broader themes:
Spoiler:
I thought that Wikus was a speciesist through and through who did nothing but fuck shit up. If he hadn't sprayed the liquid in his face and then stolen it, Christopher could have taken then control module/small ship back up to the mother ship the night after the notification of unification, and maybe even taken most or all of the aliens with him: wasn't that what all the humans said they wanted, anyway? I really liked that everyone essentially had the same goals (get the aliens back to there home/elsewhere), but were constantly fighting each other anyway. That's a theme that I don't know that I've ever seen in film before, and it's a problem we constantly see in our universe.

Why did Christopher promise to come back for Wikus? He's still a speciesist fuck who can't deal with being an alien: why would you want to "fix" him? What's wrong with being an alien?

I did like that Wikus starts to kill the guards simply to save his own life (greedy and selfish as human life is), and I loved that the thing he went back for was not so much to save Christopher but because the contractor said something to the effect of "I love that they pay me to do this" where this is "kill living beings". No, Wikus isn't killing just to save his own life anymore, but now he's killing to get rid of icky human killers, still not so much to help Christopher or the other aliens, no matter what he says to Christopher. Wikus still hates aliens, he just hates himself and evil humans, too. The only love in the film is that of Wikus for his wife and that of Christopher for his son. There is no cross species love or real common understanding: just circumstantial allies and mutual hate, and thinnest smidge of "my bad" on the part of Wikus.

Stucky101
Location: Park City, Utah, USA, North America, Earth, Sol, Orion Arm, The Milky Way, Universe A

Postby Stucky101 » Sat Aug 15, 2009 7:20 am UTC

Watched it earlier today. Not going to lie, I felt a little disappointed. I will say that it was a great movie well worth my money, however, it didn't fully live up to my expectations (but then again what does, what with how much we hype everything now days). I find it kind of ironic that I watched the 2001 movie "AI: Artificial Intelligence" for the first time only a few days before watching this movie because I feel like they both have the same problem.

Both movies present you with a moral dilemma which touches you at the very core of your humanity. Do aliens deserve to be forced to live in slums separate from humans? Do mechas deserve to be gruesomely ripped to shreds in front of cheering crowds merely for the purpose of making room for new mechas?

Then both movies go off on a storyline that hardly has anything to do with these moral dilemmas, which to be honest I would much rather see explored than a child mecha who
Spoiler:
talks to a statue of the blue fairy for 2000 years and is then discovered by aliens
or an MNU agent that
Spoiler:
gets turned into an alien himself.

I know its kind of random to bring up the movie AI, but it really disappointed me in the same way District 9 did. I'm much more interested in the human prejudices and how they might be solved than the storyline of some random characters from the world these prejudices exist in.
"The earth is the cradle of humankind, but one cannot live in the cradle forever."
~Konstantin Tsiolkovsky, 1895

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Sat Aug 15, 2009 7:10 pm UTC

Upon thinking about it more, I'm convinced that while a potent message and warning, I don't believe the arrival of aliens would be handled as depicted in the movie. That the metaphor stands is all well and good, as it is a particularly effective way of pointing out mankinds xenophobia and stubborn ways, but logistically, I feel that the movies outcome was unrealistic.

I particularly loved the cat food addiction the aliens had (metaphor for alchohol or any number of other drugs/neccesities displaced/taken advantage of people become abused by), and the varies degrees of dress the aliens were depicted in, with Christopher been seen in nearly full clothing. One of the best lines from the movie, and most telling:

Spoiler:
When Wikus served Christophers eviction, and Christopher was reading the document, responding "this isn't legal", and Wikus said "Oh we have a smart one here..." The ever present demand to treat those we view as inferior, even when they clearly are not, is a strange urge.

Kizyr

Postby Kizyr » Sun Aug 16, 2009 1:44 am UTC

Just saw it. Definitely, definitely loved it--every minute and aspect of it, at that.

I'm gonna need a little while to process it, but I'd recommend it for anyone. It's the best sci-fi movie I've seen in ages, on the level of (or higher than) Alien or Blade Runner, if I had to compare. KF
~Kizyr

Malice

Postby Malice » Sun Aug 16, 2009 2:35 am UTC

AI tangent:

Spoiler:
Stucky101 wrote:Watched it earlier today. Not going to lie, I felt a little disappointed. I will say that it was a great movie well worth my money, however, it didn't fully live up to my expectations (but then again what does, what with how much we hype everything now days). I find it kind of ironic that I watched the 2001 movie "AI: Artificial Intelligence" for the first time only a few days before watching this movie because I feel like they both have the same problem.

Both movies present you with a moral dilemma which touches you at the very core of your humanity. Do aliens deserve to be forced to live in slums separate from humans? Do mechas deserve to be gruesomely ripped to shreds in front of cheering crowds merely for the purpose of making room for new mechas?

Then both movies go off on a storyline that hardly has anything to do with these moral dilemmas, which to be honest I would much rather see explored than a child mecha who talks to a statue of the blue fairy for 2000 years and is then discovered by aliens or an MNU agent that gets turned into an alien himself.

I know its kind of random to bring up the movie AI, but it really disappointed me in the same way District 9 did. I'm much more interested in the human prejudices and how they might be solved than the storyline of some random characters from the world these prejudices exist in.

AI isn't specificially about whether mechas deserve to be physically ripped apart for our entertainment; it's about whether they deserve to be mistreated in any form for our enjoyment. The major mistreatment in the film is the act of creating David with the capacity for love, since David will live long after the person he's been programmed to love has died or discarded him. In a way David isn't much different from us, who are cursed to love and ultimately lose or be rejected by our loved ones (for the most part). The end of the film is a metonymy for the whole, where David finds his mother again, only to lose her again after too short a time. Ultimately Kubrick simply isn't interested in the down-to-earth social problems, but in expressing a long slow scream from the depths of the defective human heart, which loves and loves what passes--a scream not only of despair but also of anger at the uncaring God (or universe, if you prefer) that created our broken selves so thoughtlessly and so cruelly.

I think District 9 is different, because I think it IS about the way aliens and humans are interacting, whereas in AI the treatment of the mechs is a symptom of the greater issue.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Sun Aug 16, 2009 6:26 am UTC

Spoiler:
The word combination 'long slow scream from the depths of the defective human heart' will chill me for a few nights hence. But I felt that D9 was ultimately an exploration of a similar sentiment; it's easier to brush off the notion of 2 million displaced aliens in shanty town internment camps then it is a single father and his son being taken advantage of by an uncaring system and a racist official. The fathers frustration at telling his son 'No, we cannot go home' is tantamount to the situation of an unloved, loving AI. It's the negligence of that which makes us human.

GhostWolfe
Broken wings and scattered feathers

Postby GhostWolfe » Sun Aug 16, 2009 8:59 am UTC

Spoiler:
Enuja wrote:Who was it that started up the control module/small ship while Christopher was handcuffed in the MNU vehicle and Wikus was in control of the Nigerians and turned on the power alien and beat up the Nigerians?
It was Christopher's son, whom you see operating the control panel after Wikus is taken by the Nigerians.

Spoiler:
Enuja wrote:...why not just walk it out to Christopher, kill the people around him, and have him climb into the power armor, instead of Wikus?
Why did Christopher promise to come back for Wikus? He's still a speciesist fuck who can't deal with being an alien: why would you want to "fix" him? What's wrong with being an alien?
I think this was a tactic to say "see how much better the aliens are than the humans? They even want to help us even though we were total arseholes to them".

I enjoyed District 9 a lot more than I expected to, it's a very dark commentary on human dickery.

/angell
Linguistic Anarchist
Hawknc: ANGELL IS SERIOUS BUSINESS :-[
lesliesage: Animals dunked in crude oil: sad. Animals dunked in boiling oil: tasty.
Belial: I was in your mom's room all night committing to a series of extended military actions.

Midnight

Postby Midnight » Sun Aug 16, 2009 11:34 pm UTC

It was good. Handled the scifi bits well, good animation, pretty good acting. I am glad, actually, that it didn't go incredibly far into the "SOLVING THE CONFLICT BETWEEN ALIENS AND HUMANS AND THE SPECIESM OF HUMANITY LOOK HOW CRUEL WE ARE... O AND BTW WE'RE IN SOUTH AFRICA"
Then it would have been less of a good work of film and more of a, as mentioned above, hammed-up metaphor for apartheid.

It was still in there, said metaphor. But i'm glad it wasn't as upfront or else I would have called it too preachy. Don't get me wrong. I'm not anti-alien. I thought the mistreatment of them in the film was disgusting. BUT, if they had brought up how disgusting said mistreatment was in-movie, IMO some of that impact would have been lost. The way that even the film itself is fairly casual towards the brutality kind of shows the attitude, I think, and makes that casualty more resonant.
uhhhh fuck.

Return to “Movies and TV Shows”