Pixars Newest - Up

Rot your brains, then rot our boards

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Pixars Newest - Up

Postby Izawwlgood » Mon Jun 01, 2009 3:22 pm UTC

Delightful. Really, I hate that word, but that's the best way to describe this film. The adventures of a man trying to do the memory of his deceased wife's wishes justice, the opening five minutes of this film are IMMENSELY heartwrenching. I consider this film, like many Pixar films, incidentally, a litmus test for being human. If your heart strings aren't twanged every which way, you aren't human.

Points that surprised me (no spoiler needed):
-Blood! The first Pixar film I've ever seen with blood as an indicator of hurt! I also found it interesting that only 'good guys' bled... Hmmmmm...
-Frequent reminder of death, the protagonists wife is dead, two old men frequently say "Over my dead body!", the kid says "I'd rather DIE then..." which seems a little heavy handed for a film aimed at kids.
-Some other heavy issues that were mentioned, but not used for furthering the story, such as a couples inability to have children, animal rights (although 'hunter seeks to kill animal' is a theme in a bunch of animated films, so this may be a non-issue) and a parent being too busy to spend time with their child.

Points that I loved:
Spoiler:
The opening cinematic introducing the protagonist and his wife was beautiful and brilliantly executed. No dialog of their adult life, just rich moments of a loving couple.

Spoiler:
Again, with the 'be true to yourself' message (much better then every other Disney film pre-Pixar!)!!! Anti-corporate wash out, anti-abandoning your dreams, and anti-bitching and moaning!

Spoiler:
"I hid under your porch because I love you" awwwww...

Spoiler:
It seems like all Pixar films to date have had positive messages, and I'm inclined to over analyze this one and wonder how many old people on my block just need someone to have an adventure with. If everyone took home the message of their films, it'd be a much better world. I'ma get ice cream for an old person this summer.

I heard an interview with the director, where he claimed that it takes animators a week to complete 4 seconds of animation. I commend Pixar, in short, I think they've done it again.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

Zapheod

Re: Pixars Newest - Up

Postby Zapheod » Mon Jun 01, 2009 4:31 pm UTC

Saw UP this weekend and I have to agree it was delightful.

It was not what I was expecting from a Pixar flick but it was so incredibly well executed that I cannot find any fault with it. As mentioned above the opening sequence(no dialogue) was amazing, incredibly sad and will definitly tug at your hear strings. While there is some humor in the rest of the movie most of it is rather serious.

I would whole heartedly reccomend this movie to everyone.

charliepanayi

Postby charliepanayi » Mon Jun 01, 2009 6:59 pm UTC

It's not out in the UK until October! Madness. :(

I love Pixar though so as soon as it is out over here I'll be seeing it. Really looking forward to it.
"Excuse me Miss, do you like pineapple?"

"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work, I want to achieve it through not dying"

GhostWolfe
Broken wings and scattered feathers

Postby GhostWolfe » Mon Jun 01, 2009 10:57 pm UTC

I have heard nothing but the highest praises for this movie. I'll be going to see it as soon as it's released in September.

/angell
Linguistic Anarchist
Hawknc: ANGELL IS SERIOUS BUSINESS :-[
lesliesage: Animals dunked in crude oil: sad. Animals dunked in boiling oil: tasty.
Belial: I was in your mom's room all night committing to a series of extended military actions.

Clumpy

Postby Clumpy » Mon Jun 01, 2009 11:36 pm UTC

I will be seeing this on Saturday, and I'm wondering if I should spring for 3-D tickets. Is it eye-straining at all, or do the colors look faded?

GhostWolfe

Postby GhostWolfe » Tue Jun 02, 2009 12:25 am UTC

If Bolt was anything to go by, the 3-D is Pretty AwesomeTM, but yeah, it might be a bit zomg bright.

/angell
Linguistic Anarchist
lesliesage: Animals dunked in crude oil: sad. Animals dunked in boiling oil: tasty.
Belial: I was in your mom's room all night committing to a series of extended military actions.

podbaydoor

Postby podbaydoor » Tue Jun 02, 2009 1:34 am UTC

I saw it in "Disney Digital" 3D. It's more subtle than some of the other advertised 3D films* but I'd say it's worth the money. I did not find it eyestraining.

Either way, it's worth seeing in theaters even if you just go with 2D. Pixar manages yet again to produce something that is beyond lavishly gorgeous...except that you don't even notice after a while because the story has captured you so thoroughly.

Favorite character was Dug, by far. "I hid under your porch because I love you." *sniff*

And as has been mentioned in every single review of this movie, that montage at the beginning. By far the most effective piece of wordless storytelling I have ever witnessed onscreen. If you do not cry, you are not human and should be banished to the corner for time-out.

*I'm looking at you, Cloudy with a chance of Meatballs. Though, I may see that one...
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
a principle or belief, esp. one of the main principles of a religion or philosophy : the tenets of classical liberalism.
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun
a person who occupies land or property rented from a landlord.

GhostWolfe

Postby GhostWolfe » Tue Jun 02, 2009 4:47 am UTC

podbaydoor wrote:If you do not cry, you are not human and should be banished to the corner for time-out.

Nathan Fillion wrote:Robot test #12. Go see Pixar's UP. If your date doesn't cry, robot. from Twitter

/angell
Linguistic Anarchist

Postby 6453893 » Wed Jun 03, 2009 12:52 am UTC

I propose #robottest becomes a tag. Everyone #robottest until it trends.

Delbin

Postby Delbin » Wed Jun 03, 2009 1:08 am UTC

I haven't seen it, yet, but I wanted to post a nice review by Moviebob here.

Clumpy

Postby Clumpy » Wed Jun 03, 2009 1:59 am UTC

GhostWolfe wrote:
podbaydoor wrote:If you do not cry, you are not human and should be banished to the corner for time-out.

Nathan Fillion wrote:Robot test #12. Go see Pixar's UP. If your date doesn't cry, robot. from Twitter

/angell

It's always nice to see that a celebrity acts (or at least tweets) off-camera exactly as you would like.

Briareos

Postby Briareos » Fri Jun 05, 2009 12:55 pm UTC

Up was really an excellent film. I saw it in a theater full of small children, many of whom were bawling throughout. That was sort of unexpected for a Pixar release. Even if you don't see the whole thing, though, see the wordless montage near the beginning. It's one of the finest pieces of animation I've ever seen.
Sandry wrote:Bless you, Briareos.

Blriaraisghaasghoasufdpt.
Oregonaut wrote:Briareos is my new bestest friend.

PatrickRsGhost

Postby PatrickRsGhost » Sat Jun 06, 2009 12:42 am UTC

I saw a couple minutes of it on Disney Channel one night, with the three dogs talking. Was it me, or did Alpha's collar make him sound like Foamy?
PRG

An important message for you:

parkaboy
who dwells between the borders of time

Postby parkaboy » Sat Jun 06, 2009 6:06 am UTC

Yes, he sounded like Foamy. I cried a whoooole lot during this movie and while I agree it is pretty damn amazing, I have to say WTF PIXAR? I foresee parents having difficulties with the questions it will raise in children.

"What happened to Ellie's baby?"

O_O;

Back in our day we had to walk uphill both ways through the snow on fire without feet to get fucking terrible relationship advice from disinterested and socially maladjusted nerds. Belial

podbaydoor

Postby podbaydoor » Sat Jun 06, 2009 8:03 pm UTC

Spoiler:
I saw it as the doctor telling them she was unable to have babies...but I guess it could be interpreted that way too.
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
a principle or belief, esp. one of the main principles of a religion or philosophy : the tenets of classical liberalism.
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun

Phen

Postby Phen » Mon Jun 08, 2009 3:41 pm UTC

I have never even heard of this film before. O.O Damn you and your early releases!
I'm a wizard. We know these things.

In war, one should seek to take and hold the high ground. From there, the enemy's movements are clearly visible, and he will struggle just to reach you, let alone fight you. High orbit is the highest ground there is.

Yakk
Poster with most posts but no title.

Postby Yakk » Mon Jun 08, 2009 4:11 pm UTC

Did anyone else get really confused by the Pixar short at the start? I was trying to figure out how the clouds worked into the plot of the movie...
One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision - BR

Last edited by JHVH on Fri Oct 23, 4004 BCE 6:17 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Mon Jun 08, 2009 5:30 pm UTC

You mean how the cloud short film tied into Up? Uh, it didn't, it was a short. Pixar always (I think always?) has a quick, 5 minute short film in front of their movies. It's just supposed to be cute and fun and demonstrate how awesome and creative they are.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

Yakk

Postby Yakk » Mon Jun 08, 2009 5:43 pm UTC

Ayep, figured that out (go go past tense). The convolution of the main movie's plot and the short (both being about what happens up in the clouds) made me confused for a period of time.

I thought "maybe they are going to start with the stork delivering the kid, or maybe the old man". I then discarded it, having figured out this was a short -- then the main movie started, and I was amused by how close my guess was. :)
One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision - BR

brume

Postby brume » Mon Jun 08, 2009 5:44 pm UTC

Spoiler:
I enjoyed it a lot until the talking dogs showed up. Oh no, not talking animals!
And here's a case where the 'villain' was completely justified within his own mind doing what he did. Ties in to this thread

Yakk

Postby Yakk » Mon Jun 08, 2009 5:46 pm UTC

Spoiler:
I dunno -- I thought it was a delightful send-up of the talking animals trope.

Note the least of SQUIRELL

... which was Alpha's voice.

une see
Is my girl

Postby une see » Tue Jun 09, 2009 3:08 am UTC

I loved Up! Loved loved loved it. I have not yet seen a Pixar movie that I did not love (although I didn't see Cars, which I heard was a weaker effort). Oh, it was just wonderful. Stupendous. Breathtakingly animated; story was heart-warming; Dug and Russell were SO cute; I cried (a lot...) at all the sad parts, and smiled (a lot) at the happy parts-- I mean, I could go on, gushing superlatives about it, but I think you get my point. :P Oh, and I thought the 3D was very tastefully done. It didn't distract at all from the film; in fact, it even enhanced it a little for me, albeit subtly.
Spoiler:
Alpha's voice was HILARIOUS. I don't know why it was so funny, but my friends and I cracked up for quite a while when we heard it for the first time. Unfortunately, that meant we missed a lot of the dialogue, but hot damn was Alpha's voice funny!

I felt bad for Muntz, to be honest. Even though he turned out completely evil, I think he really did have good intentions at first. If people were slandering my good name, I would be really pissed too. Of course, becoming a psycho murderer who keeps the skulls of his victims is not excusable at all, and someone who kills kids (that scene where he just leaves Russell in that chair to die was so shocking!) is just despicable, so he was definitely not redeemable by the end of the film. Still, though, I feel bad that he went insane searching for Kevin. All he wanted was to preserve his legacy.

Oh, and I loved the short at the beginning. Poor cloud! I have to admit, I actually cried during that short...I cry way too easily during films...
T.S. Eliot in "The Waste Land" wrote:APRIL is the cruellest month, breeding
Lilacs out of the dead land, mixing
Memory and desire, stirring
Dull roots with spring rain.

Briareos

Postby Briareos » Tue Jun 09, 2009 3:45 am UTC

Spoiler:
Am I the only one who thinks that Kevin is a surprisingly hilarious name for a bird?
Sandry wrote:Bless you, Briareos.

Blriaraisghaasghoasufdpt.
Oregonaut wrote:Briareos is my new bestest friend.

Kizyr

Postby Kizyr » Tue Jun 09, 2009 5:29 am UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:You mean how the cloud short film tied into Up? Uh, it didn't, it was a short. Pixar always (I think always?) has a quick, 5 minute short film in front of their movies. It's just supposed to be cute and fun and demonstrate how awesome and creative they are.

I think (can't remember where I heard this--might be from someone who works at another CGI studio in LA) the folks who work on the short at the beginning aren't the main ones who work on the feature film, so it gives a chance for other people at Pixar to show off their talents as well. (Though, I admit I could be completely wrong on this.)

So, I finally saw UP yesterday.

...I keep waiting for Pixar to eventually produce a mediocre film. But they haven't yet! I don't think they're capable of making movies that aren't amazing. I dunno why I almost wrote off UP, either... It certainly wasn't what I expected from the trailers, and it turned out to be so much more, and so much better, than I could've imagined. Definitely loved all the characters in it, too...

The theater was maybe 50% kids when I was there. They were all surprisingly well-behaved... no chattering or crying or anything. Actually, the only part where one kid was crying was at one of the sad parts, and it wasn't really that loud, long, or obtrusive (not to mention I think everyone else was feeling the same thing).

I didn't see it in 3D, either. If you see it in 2D instead of 3D, I don't think you're really missing out. KF
~Kizyr

Caudebac

Postby Caudebac » Tue Jun 09, 2009 6:40 am UTC

I didn't see it in 3D. I still loved it. It really was a fantastic film; I went to see it with friends who cannot for the life of them agree on a movie/book/tv genre to save their lives. Ergo, we figured Pixar was the best choice. I'd rank it up there with some of Pixar's best.

Spoiler:
"The joke is funny because the squirrel gets dead." HILARIOUS.

Spacemilk

Postby Spacemilk » Tue Jun 09, 2009 6:59 pm UTC

I cried a lot, I laughed even more, I can't think of a single minute of the movie that was poorly paced or poorly done or anything.

*gush*

This has to be my favorite Pixar movie so far, and not just because I laughed hard enough my belly hurt AND cried hard enough I had to pinch my nose so I wouldn't sob out loud in the theater, ALL IN THE SAME MOVIE. (I didn't feel quite so bad about my occasional sniffling for this movie, like I might in other movies because I do tend to cry easily, because there were at least three women in earshot making the same noises as me at any given point)

It amazes me that CGI and voice actors can do more to elicit emotion from an audience than live actors in any movie I've seen in the last year.

And I don't know if anyone else noticed this, but the part covering their adult life, when there was no dialogue, was the quietest I have ever heard a movie theater. Half the theater was kids under 12 and there was not a peep for the whole 3-5 minutes of this part of the movie. Well, at least I don't think there were any sounds for the last minute - since that was the part where I was trying not to go from tears streaming down my face, to loud disruptive crying.
milk from space is good for you!

podbaydoor

Postby podbaydoor » Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:33 pm UTC

Spoiler:
I choked up at the miscarriage part, which turned into a persistent lump in my throat as I watched them pull through all their dreams dying, and then the hospital scene and single, bitter, poignant funeral scene where you can see Carl closing down even as he clutches a child's balloon...DESTROYED me. I might've been embarrassed, but then I saw out of the corner of my eye my boyfriend sniffling a little, so it was okay.

Post your "how I reacted to that brilliant opening montage in UP" story!
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun

headprogrammingczar

Postby headprogrammingczar » Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:03 pm UTC

I was really caught off-guard by how similar the scout and the young old-guy were (the only names I remember from that movie are Kevin and Doug :D). I thought that part was particularly interesting, seeing him basically saying "GTFO" to a younger version of himself.
<quintopia> You're not crazy. you're the goddamn headprogrammingspock!
<Weeks> You're the goddamn headprogrammingspock!
<Cheese> I love you

Malice

Postby Malice » Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:24 pm UTC

Spacemilk wrote:It amazes me that CGI and voice actors can do more to elicit emotion from an audience than live actors in any movie I've seen in the last year.

Well, it's possible you've been watching the wrong movies... :p

But this also reminds me of Scott McCloud's theory that our connections to cartoon characters are easier and stronger than our connections to photorealistic people. The idea is that cartoons are simplified drawings that allow you to fill in the gaps and see yourself there more easily than with somebody who is clearly a real, non-you person. It's easier to identify with a happy face than Joe Blow, and that may be a continuum. So long-windedness-short, CGI can elicit stronger emotions for a reason.

MWPPrule215

Postby MWPPrule215 » Wed Jun 17, 2009 5:20 am UTC

I cried during that opening scene, though
Spoiler:
i thought it was just that she couldn't have babies too, not a miscarriage

I reallyreallyreally want to see it again. Favorite Parts
Spoiler:
Hey I know a joke! A squirrel walks up to a tree and says, 'I forgot to gather acorns for the winter and now I am dead.' Ha ha! It's funny because the squirrel gets dead!"
"Kevin's a girl?"

and yea, the blood in the movie shocked me a bit. I'm suprised they went there. And the
Spoiler:
dad not showing up to the kids boy scout thing.

So yea... probably my new favorite Pixar movie, though I do love Wall-E with a passion

frogman

Postby frogman » Wed Jun 17, 2009 7:36 am UTC

Woah.

Did I just see a movie where they did talking animals and it was funny?

I loved this film and it was well worth the $7 to go see it in the theater. Only part I didn't like:

Spoiler:
Squirrel?

Other than that, an awesome movie.
yeah yeah yeah

Yakk

Postby Yakk » Wed Jun 17, 2009 1:19 pm UTC

Frogman, have you ever seen a herding (or hunting) dog react to one of those?

It makes perfect sense. :)

headprogrammingczar

Postby headprogrammingczar » Wed Jun 17, 2009 1:55 pm UTC

It is quite possibly funnier IRL than in Up.
<quintopia> You're not crazy. you're the goddamn headprogrammingspock!
<Weeks> You're the goddamn headprogrammingspock!
<Cheese> I love you

frogman

Postby frogman » Wed Jun 17, 2009 6:49 pm UTC

I haven't. Well, I guess I just didn't appreciate the humor of that situation.
yeah yeah yeah

cephalopod9

Postby cephalopod9 » Thu Jun 18, 2009 9:49 am UTC

Oh man, did Pixar (or Steve Jobs) invent a machine fueled by the tears of small children?
Maybe I'm just sensitive, or think about things differently, but I probably cried more than a little throughout Wall-e,
This one I pretty much started crying immediately and never stopped.
Spoiler:
I mean, from the get go, the previews tell us this is a movie about one old person, not two, so ... yeah.

(I was kinda tired, and maybe I just cry a lot)
It was good tho', and I did appreciate the humor throughout.

Clumpy

Postby Clumpy » Fri Jun 19, 2009 1:54 am UTC

I love the idea of spoilering

Spoiler:
"Squirrel?"

smw543

Postby smw543 » Fri Jun 19, 2009 7:00 am UTC

podbaydoor wrote:Post your "how I reacted to that brilliant opening montage in UP" story!
Little girl: Mommy, why is that man crying?
Mother: Oh sweetie, I'd hardly call him a man
Me: Shut up! It's a glandular problem. *sob*
-----------------
Was anyone else bothered by
Spoiler:
the fact that none of his dogs seemed to be mixed breeds (even though they must be the offspring of his original group) and yet nearly overlooked the scientific inaccuracy of a house-balloon?
Spoiler:
LE4dGOLEM wrote:Now you know the difference between funny and sad.
Ubik wrote:But I'm too fond of the penis to let it go.
gmalivuk wrote:If you didn't want people to 'mis'understand you, then you probably should have tried saying something less stupid.

Clumpy

Postby Clumpy » Fri Jun 19, 2009 7:53 am UTC

Hey,

Spoiler:
Carl Fredericksen is supposed to be 78. Wouldn't Muntz have been at least 110 years old?

smw543

Postby smw543 » Fri Jun 19, 2009 8:09 am UTC

Clumpy wrote:
Spoiler:
Carl Fredericksen is supposed to be 78. Wouldn't Muntz have been at least 110 years old?
Spoiler:
Yeah, I kind of assumed at first (when you've only seen the dogs, but you know Muntz is around there somewhere) that in addition to the collars, he also invented some sort of anti-aging thingy, but it didn't play out. Either way, it made for a pretty awesome "sword fight."
Spoiler:
LE4dGOLEM wrote:Now you know the difference between funny and sad.
Ubik wrote:But I'm too fond of the penis to let it go.
gmalivuk wrote:If you didn't want people to 'mis'understand you, then you probably should have tried saying something less stupid.

McLovin

Postby McLovin » Fri Jun 19, 2009 1:55 pm UTC

podbaydoor wrote:Post your "how I reacted to that brilliant opening montage in UP" story!

Bawling. Plain and simple. Which stayed with me the whole movie whenever CaSQUIRREL

Spoiler:
Carl talked to Ellie throughout.

God, I'm beginning to think that Grave of the Fireflies isn't the saddest movie ever anymore.

Return to “Movies and TV Shows”