What Might I Like?

Rot your brains, then rot our boards

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

YourReality

What Might I Like?

Postby YourReality » Sat Aug 15, 2009 5:12 am UTC

So, I haven't watched a whole lot of TV over the past few years but I've recently started watching stuff online at work. I'm at the end of a good show and would like to start watching something new but since I don't watch normal TV and don't see commercials I have NO idea what's on and good these days. Help?

I tend to like crime shows, something with some action and a side of intrigue. I'm always up for some ass kicking girls. I like real people TV and anime. Some of my favourite shows have been (in no particular order):
- Criminal Minds - loved the psychology twist on catching evil dudes, the way you could never be sure if they would catch the guy or whether they'd find the person alive, Reid was my favourite (soft spot for nerds)
- Firefly - everything, haha quite possibly the most perfect show ever
- CSI (Las Vegas one, nevermind the silly Miami and New York ones) - interesting characters and lots of unusual crimes/solutions
- Law and Order S.V.U. was alright but the characters were a little self riteous and rigid
- Dexter - unusual in all sorts of ways
- Alias - all around not a bad show
- Ghost in the Shell
- Read or Die
- possibly other things I can't remember right now

So, ya, what should I watch folks?

folkhero

Re: What Might I Like?

Postby folkhero » Sat Aug 15, 2009 3:58 pm UTC

"Mad Men" is IMO the best show on TV these days. It follows an advertising agency in the 1960's. It's about the changing of social mores of the era, and the American dream in general. Very high production values, and some very nuanced and well-acted characters. The third season starts tomorrow, but if you're watching online that might not matter to you.

If you like CSI, I think you'll like "House M.D." which is CSI in a hospital whre diseases are the bad guys. The show has had peaks and troughs, but I thought last season was pretty strong.

"Chuck" will appeal to your nerdy side and your love of ass-kicking girls. It's a goofy spy show about a typical nerd guy working at the Best Buy who gets uploaded will tonnes of CIA and NSA data, so he gets recruited as a spy while trying to keep his normal life at the same time. It has comedy, action and some surprisingly effective drama. It took me a couple episodes to get into it, but its pretty infectious.

"The Wire" is the ultimate crime show. It's not on the air anymore, but completely worth checking out. The show explores the police and the criminal sides equally and all the shades of gray that are involved in drug dealing and policing. The story-lines tend to be slow-moving but generally have great payoffs because you end up being so involved with the characters. It's an HBO show so there are some definite NSFW aspects if you have a boss or coworker that might walk in and be offended by violence, nudity or lots of strong language. (but presumably if you have bosses walking in, you have a method of keeping them from knowing you're watching tv)
To all law enforcement entities, this is not an admission of guilt...

PatrickRsGhost

Postby PatrickRsGhost » Sat Aug 15, 2009 6:45 pm UTC

"NCIS" is another good crime show. It's pretty much "CSI" in the military.

You should check out the original "Law & Order", especially the first five or six seasons.

"Monk" is another good show. It's funny because the main character has several OCD-related issues, as well as various phobias, some of them odd.
PRG

An important message for you:

YourReality

Postby YourReality » Sun Aug 16, 2009 8:11 pm UTC

Cool, thanks. I hadn't thought of most of those. Off I go to download :D

Malice

Postby Malice » Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:56 pm UTC

I think Burn Notice is exactly what you're looking for.

Mega D

Postby Mega D » Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:46 pm UTC

Dollhouse is a consideration for your ass-kicking girl and intrigue side. Note that it starts out somewhat weak, in my opinion at least. I was close to giving up on the show after four or five episodes, but was ultimately glad I stuck with it.

While I don't know if it lines up particularly well with any one thing you mentioned, House is a great show, and worth a look if you haven't seen it.

I also second the recommendations for Mad Men, NCIS, and Burn Notice.

Phrozt

Postby Phrozt » Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:16 pm UTC

Burn Notice is a great recommendation.

If you like crime shows where things get a little rough, you'd LOVE "The Shield." It had 7 seasons and is all over now but it's by far my favorite TV show ever.

Get ahold of the pilot episode and watch that. If you don't like it, don't bother w/the rest of the shows. I can still remember going back to the pilot episode after being through a handful of the seasons and saying, "geez... I can't believe THAT much happened in the first episode!!!"

Truly a great show.

If you like anime, you MUST check out Fullmetal Alchemist. I can't stand anime, but that's actually one of my favorite series as well. Very well put together, great storyline, good intrigue... tons of great elements. It's kind of "crimey" due to the fact that the Edward is in the State Military and gets thrown around to different cities that have problems. It centers around the idea that alchemy exists and has a multitude of elements to it (not simply turning x into gold type of thing). There are a lot of moral and ethical elements to it as well. Definitely worth a watch.

YourReality

Postby YourReality » Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:34 pm UTC

Haha well there seems to be quite a bit of agreement about Burn Notice here, I'll have to give that a go. Ooh, just looked it up. I like things about spies :D Good call on that one

Joeldi

Postby Joeldi » Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:04 pm UTC

If you're in to Crime with a Psychological Flavour, Wire in the Blood fits the bill. Psychology is the main character's principal tool in finding the serial killer of the week.

Also Life on Mars, though when I say psychological I mean something completely different here. "Am I dead, in a coma, or back in time".
ItsBetterThanItSounds
I already have a hate thread. Necromancy > redundancy here, so post there.

roc314 wrote:America is a police state that communicates in txt speak...

"i hav teh dissentors brb""¡This cheese is burning me! u pwnd them bff""thx ur cool 2"

Return to “Movies and TV Shows”