Tell me about this "Blade Runner" movie

Rot your brains, then rot our boards

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

MuToiD_MaN

Tell me about this "Blade Runner" movie

Postby MuToiD_MaN » Tue Sep 15, 2009 5:39 am UTC

I'll do my best not to sound like a troll here.

I've admittedly lived a bit of a sheltered childhood and 'teen-hood in the movie category and missed out on some "classic" movies until my adult life. I'm 27 now, and it was during college when a roommate of mine forced me to watch a few such as Total Recall, Demolition Man, and one of the Robocop movies, even the first Terminator. Anyway, a lot of those "pop culture" gaps have been filled to a good degree but one title remains unwatched as of yet, mostly because I only really watch movies on DVD when someone forces me to, i.e., the above cases.

That movie is Blade Runner.

This movie has entered the foreground of thought for me recently, as a few pop culture references have turned up in different situations. It seems that just about everyone on the Internet reveres this movie as one of the(if not the) best science fiction movies of all time. And that if someone isn't expressing this, then they're trolling a forum by posting the opposite to get a rise out of people. Needless to say, the whole thing has left me a little curious. So I checked out the trailer, and from what I saw, it looked pretty dull. I know trailers from back in the early 80's were pretty dull in general before they evolved into the loud, dramatic things that they are today, but still, it didn't do much to entice me. I read some reviews online and found some pretty cynical outside-looking-in-why-is-this-crap-a-cult-classic-please-visit-my-blog type posts. I'm not feeling like I'm missing much, so I'm turning to a forum community of mine with the most likely source of positive opinions of this movie for help.

So xkcd forum, I ask you in my most honest and neutral tone, why should I watch Blade Runner? What do you see in this movie that makes it special? What is memorable? Why did you buy the DVD, etc.? What merits there being, like, five different versions of it? alt text = no movie ever needs five versions
ĉiam veti sur Duke

ian

Re: Tell me about this "Blade Runner" movie

Postby ian » Tue Sep 15, 2009 5:47 am UTC

It seems you aren't really bothered about movies, so I wouldn't bother trying to convince you to watch it.

Malice

Postby Malice » Tue Sep 15, 2009 8:15 am UTC

Wikipedia is a good source for why there are so many versions of the film, but basically, one of them was an in-progress edit (movies went through several of them at the time, and these days with digital editing go through dozens if not hundreds), one of them was a studio-interfered cut (the theatrical version), one of them was the so-called "Director's Cut" where apparently Ridley Scott approved it but didn't actually put it together, and then there was the "Final Cut" where Scott actually finally put his own cut together.

Personally I think Blade Runner has some good ideas, some excellent scenes (like the opening), and is mainly hampered by a rather lackluster lead.
It was also, I think, one of the first films to really get the world-building and production design down for "dystopian dirty smoggy future" and people responded to that.

Woodsman

Postby Woodsman » Tue Sep 15, 2009 8:43 am UTC

It's mostly a director's movie (or a cinefile's, anyway).
It's visually stunning, and Scott has a way of composing his frames,
which tend to accentuate that which you're not seeing. It's difficult to explain,
but the way too characters are in frame with one another might accentuate their relation to one another.
It was also way ahead of its time.

This is a Scott-fan talking here, of course.

folkhero

Postby folkhero » Tue Sep 15, 2009 8:49 am UTC

Why should you watch it? Let's flip that question around and ask why you wouldn't watch it. A couple hours and a few clams at the local video store (you could probably get it for free at you library is a pretty low cost for a movie that was critically well received. You might want to look at what professional critics have to say instead of angry blogs with an ax to grind:
http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/blade_runner/
http://bventertainment.go.com/tv/buenavista/atm/reviews.html?sec=6&subsec=blade+runner*

The movie was a game changer in that it had a big influence on science fiction that came after it, an influence which continues to this day. If you really hate slow and meditative science, then avoid it, but otherwise why not see it?

*that second link is a clip from the Siskel and Ebert show
To all law enforcement entities, this is not an admission of guilt...

Grop

Postby Grop » Tue Sep 15, 2009 2:33 pm UTC

Of the five "classic" movies you cited, Blade Runner is the only one that isn't an easy action movie - and the only one I would consider a must-see, precisely because of this and because it's important in the history of cinema.

It is a bit dull indeed, but some scenes are facinating. Now I wouldn't buy the DVD, it is not a movie I would watch many times.

Kizyr

Postby Kizyr » Tue Sep 15, 2009 4:48 pm UTC

The best thing about Blade Runner is the atmosphere and backdrop, rather than the specific plot. I love looking into the background details (of some movies--I have to care about it enough to do so), so, noticing all the aspects of the world depicted in Blade Runner is the reason I really enjoyed it. Plus that, I really like cyberpunk and 1980s movies set in the "future".

You might like it for the background, you might dislike it because of the plot--although I thought the plot was good enough. There's really little way to tell until you actually watch it. KF
~Kizyr

Moo
Oh man! I'm going to be so rebellious! I'm gonna...

Postby Moo » Tue Sep 15, 2009 4:55 pm UTC

I'm an avid sci fi fan but have a short attention span and never like movies that have a slow pace. For this reason I would rate my overall impression of Blade Runner as mediocre at best and boring at worst. However if that is not a problem for you I'd definitely watch it for the reasons mentioned above as that is the only real criticism I can remember (it was a while back now). Incidentally, I haven't managed to finish 2001 for the same reason.
Proverbs 9:7-8 wrote:Anyone who rebukes a mocker will get an insult in return. Anyone who corrects the wicked will get hurt. So don't bother correcting mockers; they will only hate you.
Hawknc wrote:FFT: I didn't realise Proverbs 9:7-8 was the first recorded instance of "haters gonna hate"

bigdave

Postby bigdave » Tue Sep 15, 2009 10:36 pm UTC

Might I offer a suggestion?

How about you try watching the bloody film??

I mean, seriously, in the amount of time you appeared to have spent on the internet researching it, you could have just watched it and made up your own mind!

If you're not that bothered then don't watch it. It's your loss.

If on the other hand, you're intrigued by it, then it's only two hours of your life. Whoopy doo.
Wikipedia - Making 'know-it-alls' of people on the Internet since 2001.

Is it coincidence that most people of a certain religion just so happen to be born into families of the same religion??....Maybe they are just 'lucky'.

Moo

Postby Moo » Wed Sep 16, 2009 7:41 am UTC

Eesh, what happened in your life to make you such a fun and empathetic person?
Proverbs 9:7-8 wrote:Anyone who rebukes a mocker will get an insult in return. Anyone who corrects the wicked will get hurt. So don't bother correcting mockers; they will only hate you.
Hawknc wrote:FFT: I didn't realise Proverbs 9:7-8 was the first recorded instance of "haters gonna hate"

el_loco_avs

Postby el_loco_avs » Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:52 am UTC

I guess someone contiuously, mercilessly pointing at him caused this.
You go your way.
I'll go your way too.

Kizyr

Postby Kizyr » Wed Sep 16, 2009 11:29 am UTC

el_loco_avs wrote:I guess someone contiuously, mercilessly pointing at him caused this.

fg_evil_monkey.jpg
fg_evil_monkey.jpg (19.46 KiB) Viewed 5972 times
~Kizyr

ArgonV

Postby ArgonV » Wed Sep 16, 2009 2:46 pm UTC

He does have a point. Just get yourself a copy and watch it. If you don't like it, turn it off. If you do, keep watching it.

el_loco_avs

Postby el_loco_avs » Thu Sep 17, 2009 11:01 am UTC

We weren't debating his point.
You go your way.
I'll go your way too.

bigdave

Postby bigdave » Thu Sep 17, 2009 12:31 pm UTC

Moo wrote:Eesh, what happened in your life to make you such a fun and empathetic person?

Wow, you can tell so much about a person from a single post. Well done you.

@ArgonV

Thanks. I like to think I did actually have a point that was related to the OP.
Wikipedia - Making 'know-it-alls' of people on the Internet since 2001.

Is it coincidence that most people of a certain religion just so happen to be born into families of the same religion??....Maybe they are just 'lucky'.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Fri Sep 18, 2009 3:35 am UTC

MuToiD_MaN wrote:I'll do my best not to sound like a troll here.
Blah blah blah action flicks blah blah blah

That movie is Blade Runner.

Blah blah blah five versions!?
First step is pretty easy - have you seen 2001 and what was your opinion of it?

Because.. really, if you're wanting something like Terminator or Aliens - that is, an action movie with Sci-Fi slapped on top of it... you won't like Blade Runner. If you want a nice little mystery and some ponderings on what it is to be human and so forth and don't mind movies that stop to smell the roses along the way, then you should like Blade Runner fine.

And it's got five versions due to the Studio and the Director disagreeing with one another on how it should have been cut and edited and so on. The various versions actually change the film, answering questions left unanswered in other versions, or leaving said questions unanswered.

But yeah, if you dug 2001, you should like this. If you haven't seen 2001, then... hell, how do you feel about slow-paced dramas with sci-fi settings slapped on them? Because that's Blade Runner. I dig the film, but ... it is one of those films that, at this point, if you can't put yourself in the mind of "The crap they're doing was NEW when they did it", you may not enjoy it - a la people bitching about the Lord of the Rings film having stereotypical characters (Oh god the Wizard's in robes and a hat LAWL OVERDONE!)
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Kizyr

Postby Kizyr » Fri Sep 18, 2009 4:17 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:But yeah, if you dug 2001, you should like this. If you haven't seen 2001, then... hell, how do you feel about slow-paced dramas with sci-fi settings slapped on them? Because that's Blade Runner. I dig the film, but ... it is one of those films that, at this point, if you can't put yourself in the mind of "The crap they're doing was NEW when they did it", you may not enjoy it - a la people bitching about the Lord of the Rings film having stereotypical characters (Oh god the Wizard's in robes and a hat LAWL OVERDONE!)

Man, speaking of which, Casablanca's dialogue was so cliché.

Really though, I'm in total agreement there. It depends on if you need action in your sci-fi, or if you also enjoy more "atmospheric" movies. KF
~Kizyr

lu6cifer

Postby lu6cifer » Sat Sep 19, 2009 1:36 pm UTC

You should really just watch the movie and decide what you think of it later, instead of trying to create an opinion beforehand.
It is a relatively slow-paced movie, but some scenes, especially toward the end, are worth it.
lu6cifer wrote:"Derive" in place of "differentiate" is even worse.

doogly wrote:I'm partial to "throw some d's on that bitch."

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Sun Sep 20, 2009 3:04 pm UTC

lu6cifer wrote:You should really just watch the movie and decide what you think of it later, instead of trying to create an opinion beforehand.
It is a relatively slow-paced movie, but some scenes, especially toward the end, are worth it.
I disagree. It's usually a pretty good idea to know what you're getting in to before you watch a movie, so that you can actually enjoy the damn movie. If you sat down for Blade Runner expecting something like Alien, you're going to be pissed off, wondering when the big Replicant gunfight is going to start.

Describing a movie in such a way that a person can have a reasonable expectation yet still not be aware of the plot isn't all that difficult, which is all the OP is wanting : to have a reasonable expectation before viewing, to see if they even want to continue.

Especially when the only takes they can find on it are the trailer (fairly reflective, but due to the age suspect), things that practically hand out Blade Runner themed blowjobs, and things that seem to do nothing but tear the movie down because hatin' things that are popular is popular, as is hatin' on things that are hatin' on things that are popular.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

cephalopod9

Postby cephalopod9 » Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:53 am UTC

I would recommend the book: Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?
and strongly recommend against the version(s?) with the voice over.

el_loco_avs

Postby el_loco_avs » Mon Sep 21, 2009 10:02 am UTC

An aside:

I don't mind being completely surprised by a movie. I don't demand action or whatever when I'm expecting it. I never really understood why people get angry.
Might just be that I don't really have a genre preference.
You go your way.
I'll go your way too.

Spacemilk

Postby Spacemilk » Mon Sep 21, 2009 4:28 pm UTC

Kizyr wrote:Man, speaking of which, Casablanca's dialogue was so cliché.

:evil:

I enjoyed this movie, but I very much enjoy movies that take their time getting to a point so you have a chance to really feel and think about the point of what they're trying to say. (I think the best movie ever that does this is Cool Hand Luke - hands down my fav) It's not a matter of "amg blow it up action" and then you get to the end and think "Whoa, that was awesome!... Now what were they trying to say?" It's a movie where you get to the end and say "Whoa that was awesome and since I already know what they are trying to say, I'm going to sit here for a few minutes and let the implications sink in."

To a certain extend you have to allow for the historical context of this film. Everything about this movie was revolutionary. Also, we're inundated, as ST said, with blow-'em-up action flicks with a sci-fi backdrop. We don't have too many recent sci-fi movies that have a deep, nuanced message to deliver.

I saw the movie before I read "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?" and I actually enjoyed the movie more than the book, which is rare. But I thought the book gave me more food for thought... entertainment value was just higher for me with the movie. YMMV
milk from space is good for you!

Moo

Postby Moo » Mon Sep 21, 2009 4:30 pm UTC

Spacemilk wrote:

Irony detect fail?

Spacemilk

Postby Spacemilk » Mon Sep 21, 2009 5:35 pm UTC

Moo wrote:
Spacemilk wrote:

Irony detect fail?

I was joking too; so, not really. If I had believed him I would've written more.
milk from space is good for you!

Nath

Postby Nath » Mon Sep 21, 2009 7:23 pm UTC

MuToiD_MaN wrote:So xkcd forum, I ask you in my most honest and neutral tone, why should I watch Blade Runner? What do you see in this movie that makes it special? What is memorable? Why did you buy the DVD, etc.? What merits there being, like, five different versions of it? alt text = no movie ever needs five versions

If you watch this movie expecting something mind boggling, you'll probably be disappointed. It's a good, atmospheric movie, with interesting visuals and design. The story is pretty simple, but well told. For a science fiction movie, it feels startlingly real. It's also surprisingly thought-provoking, especially on the second viewing. If you watch it carefully, you'll find a lot to discuss, in terms of character motivations and such.

The first time I saw it, I saw the theatrical version, with the voice over. While I didn't mind it as much as many people, I didn't see what the fuss was about. It was a well shot, enjoyable but slightly boring movie. The next time I saw it, I saw the final cut. This time, I knew what to expect, I'd read the book, and I paid more attention to the little things. I enjoyed it a lot more on the second viewing. Watch it with someone who knows the movie well, and can explain the weird bits to you later.

Kizyr

Postby Kizyr » Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:07 pm UTC

Spacemilk wrote:
Moo wrote:
Spacemilk wrote:

Irony detect fail?

I was joking too; so, not really. If I had believed him I would've written more.

...it didn't sound like joking.

I loved Casablanca, by the way. First time I watched it I spent like a week arbitrarily quoting Humphrey Bogart. KF
~Kizyr

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Fri Oct 02, 2009 8:40 pm UTC

I have finally managed to borrow the DVD (from the "Ultimate Edition") of the original theatrical release, with Harrison Ford's voiceovers.

I've always wanted to see that version. Even the "Final Cut" has so many lengthy, silent bits where nothing happens, and while it could be argued that they do a lot for atmosphere, to me they still feel like lengthy, silent bits where nothing happens.

Wolf

Postby Wolf » Sat Oct 03, 2009 11:27 pm UTC

I've been thinking about grabbing the disc for this and giving it a spin as well, but I wanted to ask: Does anyone have a recommended way to go through all the different cuts? (For example, will I appreciate the final cut more if I watch the theatrical release first, or should I just go for the final cut?)
There's a method to my madness. Somewhere. Don't worry, I'll find it!

I'm learning game design! Watch my progress here: http://www.humming-rain.com

My friend wrote:You played fast and loose with punctuation and suffered the consequences.

Nath

Postby Nath » Sun Oct 04, 2009 3:19 am UTC

I'd recommend just going for the final cut. You won't miss anything.

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:17 am UTC

...Well, I have to say, I don't see what all the fuss is about the voiceovers. There's so few of them it feels like things would be less awkward if more of them were put in.

I agree, just stick with the final cut and be done with it.

I finally get what the title is supposed to mean: it's like these people are supposed to kill replicants but not humans, and thus they run the blade-sharp line between "murdering" and "retiring". Or maybe it's a reference to how the replicants themselves are on the line between machine and human. Plus it sounds all violent and actiony with blades and running and stuff. It's kind of clever. (The actual original source seems kind of topical at the moment.)

AlexTheSeal

Postby AlexTheSeal » Mon Oct 26, 2009 3:43 am UTC

30 posts on Blade Runner and not one of them says "Deckard's a replicant!" or "No he isn't!" Somebody pinch me.

Code: Select all

10 REM WORLD'S SMALLEST ADVENTURE GAME
20 PRINT "YOU ARE IN A CAVE (N, S, E, W)? ";
30 INPUT A$
40 GOTO 10

Lulled to sleep by the one-hertz chuckle of Linux logfile writes since 1997.

luvnotwar

Postby luvnotwar » Mon Oct 26, 2009 3:50 am UTC

AlexTheSeal wrote:30 posts on Blade Runner and not one of them says "Deckard's a replicant!" or "No he isn't!" Somebody pinch me.

The best art is always ambiguous.

AlexTheSeal

Postby AlexTheSeal » Mon Oct 26, 2009 3:54 am UTC

luvnotwar wrote:
AlexTheSeal wrote:30 posts on Blade Runner and not one of them says "Deckard's a replicant!" or "No he isn't!" Somebody pinch me.

The best art is always ambiguous.

You, sir/madam, are very wise. :)

Code: Select all

10 REM WORLD'S SMALLEST ADVENTURE GAME
20 PRINT "YOU ARE IN A CAVE (N, S, E, W)? ";
30 INPUT A$
40 GOTO 10

Lulled to sleep by the one-hertz chuckle of Linux logfile writes since 1997.

Nath

Postby Nath » Mon Oct 26, 2009 6:25 am UTC

Depends on which version you watch. IIRC, the Final Cut answered the question pretty unambiguously.

folkhero

Postby folkhero » Mon Oct 26, 2009 6:48 am UTC

MuToiD_MaN wrote:I'll do my best not to sound like a troll here.

It might help you not seem like a troll if you actually came back and told us that you watched it and what you thought of it or why you decided not to see it. Or just respond at all to use folks giving you are advice.
To all law enforcement entities, this is not an admission of guilt...

Moo

Postby Moo » Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:34 am UTC

folkhero wrote:Or just respond at all to use folks giving you are our advice.
Fixed so it makes any sense, but yes, this is a pet hate of mine, people have taken the time and effort to answer your question but you couldn't care less, that seems very rude, and seems to happen a lot on the fora.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Mon Oct 26, 2009 9:54 pm UTC

It's.. uh.. ruder to point that out, I think. Some people aren't very talky.

luvnotwar

Postby luvnotwar » Tue Oct 27, 2009 3:24 am UTC

Nath wrote:Depends on which version you watch. IIRC, the Final Cut answered the question pretty unambiguously.

I don't think so.

While the question of his humanity is far more apparent than in other versions, I don't think the question is ever answered.

Midnight

Postby Midnight » Tue Oct 27, 2009 4:40 am UTC

I believe Deckard is replicant.
uhhhh fuck.

Nath

Postby Nath » Tue Oct 27, 2009 6:25 am UTC

luvnotwar wrote:I don't think so.

While the question of his humanity is far more apparent than in other versions, I don't think the question is ever answered.

Well, they don't say it in black and white, but there's a scene that makes one of the two possibilities quite improbable.

Return to “Movies and TV Shows”