Stairgate: Universe

Rot your brains, then rot our boards

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Nath

Re: Stargate: Universe

Postby Nath » Wed Nov 18, 2009 11:26 pm UTC

Belial wrote:It's too bad, because you can tell they were basically taking notes all the way through BSG, and yet seem not to have learned that part.

No, but they got the shaky camera thing and dark blue lighting down.

ArgonV

Postby ArgonV » Wed Nov 18, 2009 11:31 pm UTC

Yeah, I agree. It should've been spread out more. Though this isn't the only show to get good after a lot of episodes. Dollhouse only got really good around the fifth episode. The first few episodes of Farscape and SG-1 weren't stellar either, yet I grew to really like those as well.

But back to SG:U. Next episode is what? The ninth? So yes, there should've been more diverse characterization. There was characterization, but it was limited to Eli, Rush, Young and Chloe. Arguably Scott, but I'll have to see him show some actual character for that first. Greer and TJ have had some, but to a lesser extent. One of the main characters characterised is female, that's not a lot.

Then again, they seem to flesh out 1-2 characters per episode. For the first three eps, there wasn't much work done because those were also an introduction to the situation. But they should've done less work on more characters. But then we're back to my original criticism at the critics, at this stage you can't be sure the female characters won't be fleshed out a bit more. They should've done it differently, sure, but to call it sexist because they did work on specific characters first sounds premature to me.

Chen

Postby Chen » Thu Nov 19, 2009 2:19 pm UTC

From what I can see the primary female characters are TJ and Chloe. The rest of the female roles seem secondary and I wouldn't expect too much development this early from bit roles. I feel they're doing a reasonable job with TJ though the emotional woman doctor stereotype is coming out pretty strong which I guess is somewhat sexist. Chloe's character, although a main character, is frankly just pointless. Why does she even get to hang around with the military people anyways while they are doing the important military stuff? It seems like she's been artificially made a main character despite the fact that she has no real place being involved in the day to day running of the ship. I suppose this is sexist in that shes pretty much there just to be another female lead, despite there's no logical reason for her to be involved with everything. It would certainly make more sense if Ming Na's character was involved in day to day affairs since she's was the IOC liason for the project (is that the right acronym? I keep thinking olympics when I see that).

ArgonV

Postby ArgonV » Thu Nov 19, 2009 4:18 pm UTC

It's IOA. Advisory, not committee. I guess the Stargate writers felt the same :P

But yes, Ming-na should get a bigger role, seeing as how Eli and Rush are civilians as well.

Chen

Postby Chen » Thu Nov 19, 2009 4:27 pm UTC

ArgonV wrote:It's IOA. Advisory, not committee. I guess the Stargate writers felt the same :P

But yes, Ming-na should get a bigger role, seeing as how Eli and Rush are civilians as well.

IOA makes more sense :P

I don't think its merely the civilian part that makes a difference. Its being a useless civilian that pretty much doesn't justify you being in the middle of everything. Eli and Rush are actively working on the problems that are ocurring so it makes sense for those civilians to be present. I mean if there was a civilian doctor (for whatever reason) it would also make sense that they would be front and center when anything involving the people's health was happening.

Nath

Postby Nath » Thu Nov 19, 2009 11:04 pm UTC

Ironically, Chloe is the only one on the show who seems to realize how useless she is. She often whines about this to Eli, who says things like, "No, that's not true; you're very important. They'll name a ship after you. You have no idea how important you are.". Well, Eli, enlighten us.

From the promotional materials, I think they actually intended Ming-Na's character to be part of the main cast, but the fact that we refer to her as 'Ming Na's character' suggests that perhaps they have not succeeded.

As for the sexism issue, I don't think the ratio of male to female main characters is what makes something sexist. The problem here is that what female characters do exist are paper thin (I don't mean physically), stereotype-ridden, and useless, with the exception of TJ.

Okita
Staying Alive

Postby Okita » Thu Nov 19, 2009 11:29 pm UTC

From what I understand, Camille Wray (Ming-Na) will be the major focus of the next episode. I think.

Also, in case someone needs a link, The Kino Episodes deal with the resolution of Time.
"I may or may not be a raptor. There is no way of knowing until entering a box that I happen to be in and then letting me sunder the delicious human flesh from your body in reptile fury."

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Fri Nov 20, 2009 4:26 pm UTC

Okita wrote:Also, in case someone needs a link, The Kino Episodes deal with the resolution of Time.
Are those supposed to be available in Canada? If not, are they still appearing on Youtube for a reasonable amount of time?

ArgonV

Postby ArgonV » Fri Nov 20, 2009 6:30 pm UTC

I dunno, I'm Dutch but I can still see those

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Sat Nov 21, 2009 3:19 am UTC

Ahh, DownloadHelper makes it go. Hooray DownloadHelper! If only it worked with the Spacecast streams.

(When do new episodes go "live" there, anyway?)

Sana

Postby Sana » Sat Nov 21, 2009 9:13 pm UTC

Jorpho wrote:
Okita wrote:Also, in case someone needs a link, The Kino Episodes deal with the resolution of Time.
Are those supposed to be available in Canada? If not, are they still appearing on Youtube for a reasonable amount of time?

I can view them from Canada.

Sockmonkey

Postby Sockmonkey » Sun Nov 22, 2009 12:33 am UTC

Nath wrote:
Belial wrote:It's too bad, because you can tell they were basically taking notes all the way through BSG, and yet seem not to have learned that part.

No, but they got the shaky camera thing and dark blue lighting down.

I loathe shakycam. It's a cheap trick to make less work for action scenes and hide bad scenery and/or effects. If yer gonna cop out that hard just put the show on the radio.

Nath

Postby Nath » Sun Nov 22, 2009 12:53 am UTC

I don't think that's the rationale behind it. The camera sits still long enough to show bad sets, and a shaky cam makes effects considerably harder. I think shaky camera work is supposed to make things less cinematic and more immersive -- or, at least, more like you're watching breaking news. Very few people seem to like it (at least when it's severe enough to be noticeable), but a lot of directors seem inexplicably fond of the technique.

To be fair, it is possible to have more spontaneous-feeling handheld camera work without shaking all over the place. Some shows and movies pull this off.

headprogrammingczar

Postby headprogrammingczar » Sun Nov 22, 2009 1:09 am UTC

I haven't noticed the shaky-cam much, except to note that it wasn't steady-cam. If there is one thing that annoys me more than too-shaky-shaky-cam, it is completely-superfluous-crane-cam. They did a good job of keeping the relevant parts of the scene in-frame, and the movement doesn't blur the image, so I'm fine with it.
<quintopia> You're not crazy. you're the goddamn headprogrammingspock!
<Weeks> You're the goddamn headprogrammingspock!
<Cheese> I love you

Zorlin

Episode NINE (Spoilers)

Postby Zorlin » Sun Nov 22, 2009 4:26 am UTC

(discussion of episode 1x09 follows)

I was pretty much expecting a suicide or something to happen the whole way through. We're at the midseason, but there was no cliffhanger as far as I could see. We're left wondering whether Rush will jump in the chair. I was half-hoping that he'd do so by the end of the episode, but other interesting possibilities are there. If they break the code and get control of the ship, the show may become a lot less interesting, so hopefully that doesn't happen till much later in the show. It'd be all kinds of fucked up if Rush got sick of the bullshit and /destroyed/ the chair.
Mysterious wizard rabbit of unknown proportions.

Check out #xkcd-hugs movie night! Watch movies with your fellow xkcdians.

Meaux_Pas wrote:You're all mad.

Nath

Postby Nath » Sun Nov 22, 2009 12:21 pm UTC

You know, I was kind of expecting a suicide too, or maybe some other kind of death. BSG expectations, I guess.

One strange thing about all the workout scenes: where did they get all those PT uniforms? Everybody is always in the same set of clothes, except when exercising.

They seem to have given the psycho sergeant job to someone else, and calmed Greer down. I think those scenes would have been more interesting if it was someone other than a redshirt flipping out.

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Sun Nov 22, 2009 12:56 pm UTC

Nath wrote:You know, I was kind of expecting a suicide too, or maybe some other kind of death. BSG expectations, I guess.

One strange thing about all the workout scenes: where did they get all those PT uniforms? Everybody is always in the same set of clothes, except when exercising.

They seem to have given the psycho sergeant job to someone else, and calmed Greer down. I think those scenes would have been more interesting if it was someone other than a redshirt flipping out.

A more pertinent question is how are they going to wash those soaked-in-sweat clothes after the exercise.
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

Alder

Postby Alder » Sun Nov 22, 2009 9:40 pm UTC

SlyReaper wrote:A more pertinent question is how are they going to wash those soaked-in-sweat clothes after the exercise.

Ewww. And heh.
Plasma Man wrote:I might have to get rid of some of my breadbins.

Kulantan wrote:I feel a great disturbance in the Fora, as if millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror and then kinda trailed off to a grumble.

pseudoidiot
Sexy Beard Man

Postby pseudoidiot » Sun Nov 22, 2009 9:44 pm UTC

Could probably make use of the waterless shower thing. If it's good enough to get dirt off people it might work alright on fabric and such.
Derailed : Gaming Outside the Box.
SecondTalon wrote:*swoons* I love you, all powerful pseudoidiot!
ShootTheChicken wrote:I can't stop thinking about pseudoidiot's penis.

Dazmilar

Postby Dazmilar » Sun Nov 22, 2009 11:31 pm UTC

I'm not sure if I agree with some of the ways Rush is set up as the "Machiavellian scientist," when a lot of his actions, especially in the early episodes, just seem damn prudent. Tackling your air problem and your water problem before dealing with getting home seems smart. In Water he tells Young to keep in mind that he may have to return without Scott. Young wants to risk materials (kinos, spacesuit), chain-of-command, valuable resources (water), to save one guy, and Rush gets called the bastard?

I'm also wondering if Eli, while double-checking Rush's calculations on the dangerous stargate powered by the sun plan, will figure out that regardless of Rush's intentions, or whether or not the plan would have worked, Rush still saved everyone's lives by stopping it. Because had they all returned home, they would have all died of an alien parasite the only known cure for which is billions of light years from Earth.

Two things I think seem to be happening a little too quickly are politicking by people on Earth and crew going crazy. You have to assume your average soldier in the program is going to be able to deal with a fair amount of off-world time, some missions of which can last months. Once you have spaceships, you're also going to have experience training people who spend a decent amount of time in spaceships. And while I expect politics to occur, I guess I wasn't expecting it when you're still trying to fix the ship.

The writers could explain away most of their communication stone problems (i.e. why not have 5 expert whatevers working on the ship) by saying that Earth is under imminent threat by insert-threat-here. Then the reason why Earth isn't constantly sending help in the form of Carter, McKay, whoever, is simple. They're too busy fighting the insert-threat-here.

Jorpho

Re: Episode NINE (Spoilers)

Postby Jorpho » Sun Nov 22, 2009 11:35 pm UTC

It stands to reason that since this episode was titled "Life", the next one will be called "Death". (Unless the idea is that "Time" is followed by "Life"... nah.)

And of course it's all obvious now.
Spoiler:
The black guy dies first.

Awia

Postby Awia » Sun Nov 22, 2009 11:55 pm UTC

The next episode is called Justice followed by Space.

The paired named episodes seem to have stopped now.
Francis wrote:Look on the bright side, if you all die I'll still be handsome

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Mon Nov 23, 2009 5:41 am UTC

Awia wrote:The paired named episodes seem to have stopped now.
Oh. Well, there's a step away from predictability. (But when will the one-word names stop?)

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Mon Nov 23, 2009 7:57 am UTC

Jorpho wrote:
Awia wrote:The paired named episodes seem to have stopped now.
Oh. Well, there's a step away from predictability. (But when will the one-word names stop?)

When they run out of words

ArgonV

Postby ArgonV » Mon Nov 23, 2009 12:09 pm UTC

Second season might feature two-worded titles? :P

Chen

Episode 9

Postby Chen » Mon Nov 23, 2009 1:29 pm UTC

I'm getting kinda fed up with this show. I wanted a new sci fi show to watch. But with all the damn time they're spending on earth (doing non-stargate related things) it seems more like a damn soap opera with a bit of space stuff thrown in.

Also what is up with people on earth being so accepting of "friends" of their loved ones or whatever nosing in on their lives? A couple of episodes ago the reaction Eli's mother had to Eli (in someone else's body) was ridiculous. And now in this one, Scotts ex-girlfriend was treating Scott almost as if it were HIM rather than some random person she had never seen before but who said he was Scott's friend. I mean especially all the time the "friend" was harassing her about quitting her stripping job and going back to school. If someone I had never seen before said they were a friend of a friend of mine started lecturing me about my life he'd have been booted out the door.

Young is also an idiot. The bald white guy who has pretty much been causing problems since day 1 should be locked up already. When you have a super damaged ship and a limited number of people, the amount of damage an unbalanced (or worse psychotic) individual can do is pretty high. Maybe it seems worse as a viewer since you can see him in more situations than the crew does, but I have to imagine, similarly, he's being just as bad on the times he's NOT on screen too. Its a pretty annoying type of foreshadowing I'd say. Considering no one else seems to be taking things NEARLY as badly you'd think they'd at least keep an eye on him...but that won't be the case and he'll do something to cause a diaster in a later episode I'm sure.

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Mon Nov 23, 2009 1:40 pm UTC

Well if the next episode is called "Justice", maybe it'll be Bald Psycho Dude finally snapping and killing someone, and the others organise some kind of trial for him before dumping him out the nearest airlock.

At least I hope that's how it is. And his victim is Chloe...

headprogrammingczar

Postby headprogrammingczar » Mon Nov 23, 2009 2:18 pm UTC

While he's at it, hopefully he breaks those stupid communications stones.
<Cheese> I love you

ArgonV

Postby ArgonV » Mon Nov 23, 2009 3:35 pm UTC

I know what you mean. I find the parts where they DON'T use the stones much more interesting than the parts where they do. I hope something happens to those stones (ie thrown into the vortex of an opening wormhole) soon. There's 80+ (?) people on the ship, enough potential for characterisation there, right?

Also, in three episodes, how often have they actually stepped through the gate? Three times? Not counting all the time travelling

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Mon Nov 23, 2009 3:46 pm UTC

I think they've been to a grand total of 3 planets including the time travelling jungle planet. There was the desert planet, the ice planet and the jungle, and I can't think of any more.

headprogrammingczar

Postby headprogrammingczar » Mon Nov 23, 2009 3:55 pm UTC

They've kinda written themselves into a corner, I think. They get one planet every jump, which effectively gives us one planet per episode. The earth parts are boring and irrelevant, and they already did too many "what did we run out of this week" episodes, so all that leaves is more characterization of Chloe (ugh), more Rush characterization (which will inevitably just be him disobeying orders to save everyone's asses, then becoming hated even more), or more exploration of the ship (which isn't nearly enough to warrant a whole episode). Developing other characters will help a bit, but really only gives them more opportunities to make the crew more annoying.
<Cheese> I love you

Chen

Postby Chen » Mon Nov 23, 2009 4:42 pm UTC

SlyReaper wrote:Well if the next episode is called "Justice", maybe it'll be Bald Psycho Dude finally snapping and killing someone, and the others organise some kind of trial for him before dumping him out the nearest airlock.

Spoiler:
From what the little note on Wikipedia says it has something to do with Young stepping down when he's implicated in a murder on the ship. Its either the psycho dude who killed someone I bet or someone killed him and it ends up being self-defense etc. That or some random death caused by someone unknown

clockworkmonk
I'm on a horse!

Postby clockworkmonk » Mon Nov 23, 2009 4:54 pm UTC

I can see some potential to write themselves out of it though. One of the big things is they are starting to show the stones as being glitchy, causing some problems already, and the stones have led to some very assholish things. I mean, Young looking to pick a fight in someone elses body? thats just not cool. Not to mention the alcohol abuse and the potential for indiscriminate sex. What if they get an STD? I mean, yeah, the stones are a terrible crutch, and I hope they fail in some spectacular way that leaves a wake of destruction.
418 I'm a teapot

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Mon Nov 23, 2009 5:38 pm UTC

clockworkmonk wrote:I can see some potential to write themselves out of it though. One of the big things is they are starting to show the stones as being glitchy, causing some problems already, and the stones have led to some very assholish things. I mean, Young looking to pick a fight in someone elses body? thats just not cool. Not to mention the alcohol abuse and the potential for indiscriminate sex. What if they get an STD? I mean, yeah, the stones are a terrible crutch, and I hope they fail in some spectacular way that leaves a wake of destruction.

Maybe they'll fail in such a way as to leave Sam Carter stranded in Chloe's body. Or Rodney for even more lulz (although they don't seem to have used the stones for gender bending yet, so maybe not). That kills two birds in one stone (hur hur, stone geddit?) - you get rid of an extremely irritating and useless character and gain a competent one.

Princess Marzipan

Postby Princess Marzipan » Mon Nov 23, 2009 6:36 pm UTC

Chen wrote:
SlyReaper wrote:Well if the next episode is called "Justice", maybe it'll be Bald Psycho Dude finally snapping and killing someone, and the others organise some kind of trial for him before dumping him out the nearest airlock.

Spoiler of something that hasn't aired yet
Spoiler:
From what the little note on Wikipedia says it has something to do with Young stepping down when he's implicated in a murder on the ship. Its either the psycho dude who killed someone I bet or someone killed him and it ends up being self-defense etc. That or some random death caused by someone unknown

Is it possible to indicate when a spoiler tag will spoiler something that *hasn't aired yet*? I know that I'm caught up on what's aired and so I don't feel I have to avoid spoiler tags, but I also don't want things from future episodes spoiled. People are using spoilers to hide information from already aired episodes, so that's what I assume a spoiler is - if it's *not yet aired*, perhaps state that explicitly?
"It's Saturday night. I've got no date, a two-liter of Shasta, and my all-Rush mixtape. Let's rock!"
"I am just about to be brilliant!"
General_Norris, on feminism, wrote:If you lose your six Pokémon, you lost.

Chen

Postby Chen » Mon Nov 23, 2009 7:51 pm UTC

Princess Marzipan wrote:Is it possible to indicate when a spoiler tag will spoiler something that *hasn't aired yet*? I know that I'm caught up on what's aired and so I don't feel I have to avoid spoiler tags, but I also don't want things from future episodes spoiled. People are using spoilers to hide information from already aired episodes, so that's what I assume a spoiler is - if it's *not yet aired*, perhaps state that explicitly?

Gah I really thought I had written the whole unaired episode thing there but apparently I just forgot. Sorry bout that.

Soralin

Postby Soralin » Tue Nov 24, 2009 12:19 am UTC

headprogrammingczar wrote:While he's at it, hopefully he breaks those stupid communications stones.

Young keeps going back to Earth and beating up Telford in different people's bodies (including his own) until they finally get sick of him and just turn the device off. :)

headprogrammingczar

Postby headprogrammingczar » Tue Nov 24, 2009 2:54 am UTC

Stupidity fixing stupidity. I like it.
<Cheese> I love you

keozen
The Bearded FaiD Batman

Postby keozen » Wed Nov 25, 2009 9:32 am UTC

And remember people, they still haven't touched on whatever it was detaching itself from Destiny at the end of Air part 3. Remember, the thing that looked like a smaller ship but not of the same design of Destiny. It'll have taken some nice CGI budget to do it and put it in so they're not going to ignore it forever.

pseudoidiot
Sexy Beard Man

Postby pseudoidiot » Wed Nov 25, 2009 2:07 pm UTC

Plus the Asgard-esque space suits.
Derailed : Gaming Outside the Box.
SecondTalon wrote:*swoons* I love you, all powerful pseudoidiot!
ShootTheChicken wrote:I can't stop thinking about pseudoidiot's penis.

Return to “Movies and TV Shows”