Stairgate: Universe

Rot your brains, then rot our boards

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Zorlin

Re: Season 1, Episode 6

Postby Zorlin » Wed Nov 04, 2009 7:56 pm UTC

Xeio wrote:
Zorlin wrote:It seems to resemble Tiddalick in that it can take in water and give out water (except it can control the second, obviously), but note that it can also give and take life (like a Wraith).
When was the latter demonstrated? Other than turning that guy into mincemeat, and I dont think they could reverse that.

Lt. Scott was pretty much fucked, and the swarm flew over him and he opened his eyes and started breathing again. (39:40)

Also, in the desert he was kind of unconscious and the bugs sort of revived him.

Via Gateworld:
Unconscious, face down in the sand, Scott is unaware as the vortex whirls into the sand near his head. Water bubbles out of the desert floor, rousing him.

Although I suppose that's more to do with the whole Tiddalick thing.
Mysterious wizard rabbit of unknown proportions.

Check out #xkcd-hugs movie night! Watch movies with your fellow xkcdians.

Meaux_Pas wrote:You're all mad.

ArgonV

Re: Stargate: Universe

Postby ArgonV » Wed Nov 04, 2009 9:06 pm UTC

Also, I just rewatched 'First Contact' and 'Lost Tribe' from Stargate Atlantis and something's bothering me;
Spoiler:
the space suits Young and Scott put on are VERY similar to the evil Asgard 'suits'

Coincidence?

Zorlin

Postby Zorlin » Wed Nov 04, 2009 10:51 pm UTC

ArgonV wrote:Also, I just rewatched 'First Contact' and 'Lost Tribe' from Stargate Atlantis and something's bothering me;
Spoiler:
the space suits Young and Scott put on are VERY similar to the evil Asgard 'suits'

Coincidence?

Once again, via Gateworld:
The EVA suits from the Destiny that appear in this episode don't just look similar to the battle suits worn by the Asgard in Atlantis's "First Contact" and "The Lost Tribe." They're a reuse of the same costumes, for a very deliberate reason that remains to be revealed.

When asked about this, consulting producer Joseph Mallozzi commented: "Well, hey, now that you mention it -- yeah, they do look remarkably similar. In fact, if I was a betting man, I'd wager that the Dark Asgard suits are a modified version of the Ancient space suit. Wonder what's going on there."
(Consulting producer Joseph Mallozzi, in a post at his blog)
Mysterious wizard rabbit of unknown proportions.

Check out #xkcd-hugs movie night! Watch movies with your fellow xkcdians.

Meaux_Pas wrote:You're all mad.

ArgonV

Postby ArgonV » Wed Nov 04, 2009 10:54 pm UTC

Hmm, maybe it has something to do with the alien ship that left the Destiny?

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Thu Nov 05, 2009 5:38 pm UTC

I really need to catch up on this. I'm still on darkness.
I'm really quite enjoying this show.
doogly wrote:On a scale of Mr Rogers to Fascism, how mean do you think we're being?
Belial wrote:My goal is to be the best brain infection any of you have ever had.

Sockmonkey

Postby Sockmonkey » Thu Nov 05, 2009 9:08 pm UTC

Well remember back in the day the ancients hung with the Asgard, Nox, and Furlings, so it's reasonable to assume they exchanged technology and borrowed designs from each other. As old as the ship is it might be from that time.

CivilDefense700

Postby CivilDefense700 » Fri Nov 06, 2009 1:25 am UTC

Maybe we're finally going to meet the Furlings. They never encountered them in the Milky Way, maybe they left the galaxy with Ancient's ships?
"I happen to have access to one of the sexiest lasers on the eastern seaboard."

Xeio
Friends, Faidites, Countrymen

Postby Xeio » Fri Nov 06, 2009 2:36 am UTC

CivilDefense700 wrote:Maybe we're finally going to meet the Furlings. They never encountered them in the Milky Way, maybe they left the galaxy with Ancient's ships?
I'm pretty sure we'll never meet them. If we were going to meet them, it would have been long before the Ori.

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Fri Nov 06, 2009 7:56 am UTC

Furlings? They sound cuddly. Like Ewoks or something. I bet they're not though.
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Fri Nov 06, 2009 3:07 pm UTC

They made a brief, non-canonical appearance in the episode 200 free-for-all.

keozen
The Bearded FaiD Batman

Postby keozen » Tue Nov 10, 2009 2:26 pm UTC

Yeah the Furlings should stay as a mini series in-joke and never ever be seen. It's more fun that way.

Haven't seen "Earth" yet, will try and get around to watching it tonight tho. As a series I'm still loving it, I want my own Kino (they're very similar to something I wrote about in a short story a few years back so they make me smile).

Alder

Postby Alder » Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:38 pm UTC

Well, as for Earth, the
Spoiler:
sex in another dude's body stuff
creeped me out on several levels. As did the
Spoiler:
getting pickled as a newt in someone else's body.
Ugh. I'm starting to feel that these are people that I really don't want to spend time with, even if they *are* fictional.

I'm also finding the female characterisation a bit on the weak side. But Stargate has a reputation for being a bit erratic with that.
Plasma Man wrote:I might have to get rid of some of my breadbins.

Kulantan wrote:I feel a great disturbance in the Fora, as if millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror and then kinda trailed off to a grumble.

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Wed Nov 11, 2009 4:00 am UTC

You just know that
Spoiler:
Telford's going to try carrying on an affair with whatshername while telling her all the while that he's actually whatshisname.

EdgarJPublius
Official Propagandi.... Nifty Poster Guy

Postby EdgarJPublius » Wed Nov 11, 2009 5:21 am UTC

Alder wrote:Well, as for Earth, the
Spoiler:
sex in another dude's body stuff
creeped me out on several levels. As did the
Spoiler:
getting pickled as a newt in someone else's body.
Ugh. I'm starting to feel that these are people that I really don't want to spend time with, even if they *are* fictional.

I'm also finding the female characterisation a bit on the weak side. But Stargate has a reputation for being a bit erratic with that.

Yea, the only character I consistently like so far is Eli, and that's only because he's the audience-stand-in that's apparently required in every show these days.

I particularly dislike how they (not sure how spoilery this is, but will tag it anyway)
Spoiler:
turned O'Neil into the stuffy commanding officer behind a desk who doesn't like what he has to order people to do but does it anyway. It's like he's become some sort of anti-Jack
Roosevelt wrote:
I wrote:Does Space Teddy Roosevelt wrestle Space Bears and fight the Space Spanish-American War with his band of Space-volunteers the Space Rough Riders?

Yes.

-still unaware of the origin and meaning of his own user-title

ArgonV

Postby ArgonV » Wed Nov 11, 2009 10:39 am UTC

Jorpho wrote:You just know that
Spoiler:
Telford's going to try carrying on an affair with whatshername while telling her all the while that he's actually whatshisname.

Unless
Spoiler:
Telford already has an affair with her?

Chen

Postby Chen » Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:53 pm UTC

ArgonV wrote:Unless
Spoiler:
Telford already has an affair with her?

Spoiler:
I was kinda thinking this as well. Frankly it would seem pretty stupid that Telford would just go back for some deceitful sex. How did he even know where the place was anyways if he hadn't been there before?

Once again they need to get rid of the damn communications stones. There's too much stupid earth stuff going on. I want a sci fi show about people surviving on a spaceship. The fact that they can go back home (at least their mind) whenever they want seems to make the whole being stranded bit seem far less severe (and dramatic) then it could be.

Also we're on the 4th page of this. Any chance we can stop using spoilers now?

Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance

Postby Belial » Wed Nov 11, 2009 4:33 pm UTC

EdgarJPublius wrote:I particularly dislike how they (not sure how spoilery this is, but will tag it anyway)
Spoiler:
turned O'Neil into the stuffy commanding officer behind a desk who doesn't like what he has to order people to do but does it anyway. It's like he's become some sort of anti-Jack

Responsibility: it changes people sometimes.
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.

They/them

Moo
Oh man! I'm going to be so rebellious! I'm gonna...

Postby Moo » Wed Nov 11, 2009 5:40 pm UTC

Chen wrote:Also we're on the 4th page of this. Any chance we can stop using spoilers now?

Only if people can start clearly denoting when they're talking about a new episode so people who have screenings in their country later than in the US don't read on and getting spoilered without warning. For my money, at least.
Proverbs 9:7-8 wrote:Anyone who rebukes a mocker will get an insult in return. Anyone who corrects the wicked will get hurt. So don't bother correcting mockers; they will only hate you.
Hawknc wrote:FFT: I didn't realise Proverbs 9:7-8 was the first recorded instance of "haters gonna hate"

Princess Marzipan

Postby Princess Marzipan » Wed Nov 11, 2009 5:53 pm UTC

Chen wrote:Also we're on the 4th page of this. Any chance we can stop using spoilers now?

I plan on entering the episode I'm talking about into the subject line and never using spoiler tags again in this thread.

Re: the Earth stuff; I actually think it's interesting that we get to see that there are other people working on and involved in the situation. It's not just "trapped on alien spaceship? Okay, whatevs." Which is what it would feel like if we were only focusing on Destiny.
"It's Saturday night. I've got no date, a two-liter of Shasta, and my all-Rush mixtape. Let's rock!"
"I am just about to be brilliant!"
General_Norris, on feminism, wrote:If you lose your six Pokémon, you lost.

Sockmonkey

Postby Sockmonkey » Wed Nov 11, 2009 7:34 pm UTC

I just hope they're smart enough not to pull a Voyager/Gilligan's Island riff and have failed plans to get home every other week.

Belial

Postby Belial » Wed Nov 11, 2009 7:50 pm UTC

Princess Marzipan wrote:Re: the Earth stuff; I actually think it's interesting that we get to see that there are other people working on and involved in the situation. It's not just "trapped on alien spaceship? Okay, whatevs." Which is what it would feel like if we were only focusing on Destiny.

It reminds me of a super-high-tech epic version of Apollo 13. Where you have a mission control crew back home who know where you are and what's happening, but can't actually help you in any concrete way. All they can do is talk to you on the radio and try to mock up solutions to your problems for you to implement.

They/them

EdgarJPublius
Official Propagandi.... Nifty Poster Guy

Postby EdgarJPublius » Wed Nov 11, 2009 7:57 pm UTC

Belial wrote:
EdgarJPublius wrote:I particularly dislike how they (not sure how spoilery this is, but will tag it anyway)
Spoiler:

Responsibility: it changes people sometimes.

But in the other series, after he became a general with responsibility and stuff, he was still the fun Jack we all knew and loved, this new Jack barely even seems like the same character
Roosevelt wrote:
I wrote:Does Space Teddy Roosevelt wrestle Space Bears and fight the Space Spanish-American War with his band of Space-volunteers the Space Rough Riders?

Yes.

-still unaware of the origin and meaning of his own user-title

Alder

Postby Alder » Thu Nov 12, 2009 12:09 am UTC

Belial wrote:It reminds me of a super-high-tech epic version of Apollo 13. Where you have a mission control crew back home who know where you are and what's happening, but can't actually help you in any concrete way. All they can do is talk to you on the radio and try to mock up solutions to your problems for you to implement.

Heh. I made a comparison to Apollo 13 on a Stargate fansite and got myself slapped halfway to Sunday... Fun times.
EdgarJPublius wrote:But in the other series, after he became a general with responsibility and stuff, he was still the fun Jack we all knew and loved, this new Jack barely even seems like the same character

He does seem a bit pompous and dull. Odd. It's as if the writers are going to such an effort to make Universe different from their previous shows that they felt the need to twist O'Neill to fit.

Kulantan wrote:I feel a great disturbance in the Fora, as if millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror and then kinda trailed off to a grumble.

Princess Marzipan

Postby Princess Marzipan » Thu Nov 12, 2009 12:16 am UTC

Well, keep in mind he's also dealing with Colonel Young throughout most of what we see of him. And Colonel Young has proven to be not entirely unlike a fuckup.
"It's Saturday night. I've got no date, a two-liter of Shasta, and my all-Rush mixtape. Let's rock!"

Alder

Postby Alder » Thu Nov 12, 2009 11:09 pm UTC

Yeah, I'm not terribly impressed with Young at the moment. Which bugs me slightly 'cause I liked him when it began, and now he's just irritating me.

Some mildly interesting/amusing shenanigans involving one of the show's producers having a hairy fit at a bad review. Heh.

headprogrammingczar

Postby headprogrammingczar » Thu Nov 12, 2009 11:42 pm UTC

They need a plot arc though; right now the show is even worse than Lost in terms of moving the plot forward.
<quintopia> You're not crazy. you're the goddamn headprogrammingspock!
<Weeks> You're the goddamn headprogrammingspock!
<Cheese> I love you

Princess Marzipan

Postby Princess Marzipan » Fri Nov 13, 2009 7:06 am UTC

The more I think about it, the more strongly I believe that Chloe needs to die and NOW. She drags every fucking episode down with her bullshit. She's just...incredibly unlikable. And unlikable is fine - Tigh's wife in BSG wasn't remotely likable, but I don't once remember thinking "Man, this show would be so much better if they just killed off Tigh's wife already!" She's just bland and uninteresting and getting way too much focus.

headprogrammingczar

Postby headprogrammingczar » Fri Nov 13, 2009 2:01 pm UTC

I want to see more Rush-Eli-Young stuff. Rush has the best actor on the show by far (granted, his only real competition is Eli).
<Cheese> I love you

Belial

Postby Belial » Fri Nov 13, 2009 2:48 pm UTC

Princess Marzipan wrote:Well, keep in mind he's also dealing with Colonel Young throughout most of what we see of him. And Colonel Young has proven to be not entirely unlike a fuckup.

Also, that he had the russian guy looking over his shoulder and had to pretend to be professional.

They/them

Moo
Oh man! I'm going to be so rebellious! I'm gonna...

Postby Moo » Fri Nov 13, 2009 3:20 pm UTC

headprogrammingczar wrote:Rush has the best actor on the show by far
Well yes, it is Robert Carlyle.
Proverbs 9:7-8 wrote:Anyone who rebukes a mocker will get an insult in return. Anyone who corrects the wicked will get hurt. So don't bother correcting mockers; they will only hate you.
Hawknc wrote:FFT: I didn't realise Proverbs 9:7-8 was the first recorded instance of "haters gonna hate"

Alder

Postby Alder » Fri Nov 13, 2009 11:21 pm UTC

Princess Marzipan wrote:Chloe...unlikable...unlikable...
Yup. I want to shake her vigourously and send her to her room till she grows up.

Hey, what do folk here reckon on the timescale of the show? I can't make my mind up at all. The first couple of episodes definitely ran into each other in a matter of days, and I sort of assumed the writers were going for that feeling of urgency for the rest of the season. However...now I'm not so sure, it feels like maybe a bit more between episodes since the pilot.

I asked the same question on a Stargate forum, and didn't get terribly convincing answers... Has anyone else given it any thought?

Nath

Postby Nath » Fri Nov 13, 2009 11:57 pm UTC

Princess Marzipan wrote:The more I think about it, the more strongly I believe that Chloe needs to die and NOW. She drags every fucking episode down with her bullshit. She's just...incredibly unlikable. And unlikable is fine - Tigh's wife in BSG wasn't remotely likable, but I don't once remember thinking "Man, this show would be so much better if they just killed off Tigh's wife already!" She's just bland and uninteresting and getting way too much focus.

Seriously. I found a bunch of the characters uninteresting in the beginning, but most of them got better with each episode. Chloe has somehow managed to get worse. I don't know how they did it. I don't think it's even really a likability issue; I like unlikable characters, if they're well written.

Alder

Postby Alder » Sat Nov 14, 2009 12:23 am UTC

Nath wrote:Seriously. I found a bunch of the characters uninteresting in the beginning, but most of them got better with each episode. Chloe has somehow managed to get worse. I don't know how they did it. I don't think it's even really a likability issue; I like unlikable characters, if they're well written.

I think it's a strength of character thing, since Rush is hardly 'likeable'...but he's interesting. I want to see more of him, and what he's doing.
(Incidentally, the whole "no-one trusts him 'cause he has his own agenda" is getting a bit old to me. It's probably a tribute to Robert Carlyle, but I trust him...)

Chloe, on the other hand, has the strength of character of a piece of cold, wet spaghetti.
Also - I'm not sure if I can describe this very well, but...she seems to be defined by her relationships with men. She's on the ship in the first place 'cause of her father. She gets into a 'relationship' with Scott very quickly (or semi-quickly, I'm not sure about the time-scale). She screams for help from a man when the lights go out, and leads him on, apparently oblivious to his attraction to her. And when she's back on Earth, she gets steaming drunk after seeing her ex-boyfriend - EX, mind you, and she's sleeping with someone else at this point - in a relationship with someone else. Man alive. When I see it all together, I can't believe they're writing this claptrap.

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Sat Nov 14, 2009 1:11 am UTC

Like I said before, the link to Earth is a clumsy plot device which needs to be thrown out an airlock ASAP. There's plenty of potentially interesting storyline without it, and all it does is destroy the "we're all alone out here" atmosphere.

Alder

Postby Alder » Sat Nov 14, 2009 1:23 am UTC

SlyReaper wrote:Like I said before, the link to Earth is a clumsy plot device which needs to be thrown out an airlock ASAP. There's plenty of potentially interesting storyline without it, and all it does is destroy the "we're all alone out here" atmosphere.

But all the airlocks are currently inaccessible! Curses...!

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Sat Nov 14, 2009 1:34 am UTC

Alder wrote:
SlyReaper wrote:Like I said before, the link to Earth is a clumsy plot device which needs to be thrown out an airlock ASAP. There's plenty of potentially interesting storyline without it, and all it does is destroy the "we're all alone out here" atmosphere.

But all the airlocks are currently inaccessible! Curses...!

They've got a shredded shuttle with a dead guy in it. They could throw the stones in there.

Hale
Location: Las Cruces, NM, USoA; NA, Terra; Sol, Outer edge Western Spiral Arm, Milky Way.

Re: Stargate: Universe (Time) Ep. 8

Postby Hale » Sat Nov 14, 2009 2:35 pm UTC

Ep. 8 spoiler below.

Spoiler:
CHLOE IS DEAD!!! PARTY TIME!

Spoiler:
At least for a while more. It seems we have to wait until next week to see if they manage to fix everything, double time travel is a risky proposal.

Overall this one was fairly good in my opinion, even if the camera jumping was a bit annoying at times. It seems like Scott will be the lonely survivor for the series, he's survived twice now.
Also, how weird is it that Rush was holding his own time-traveled skull?
I make no claims to sanity, spelling, grammar, or really any content worth reading in my post. I also edit them.

SlyReaper
inflatable

Episode 8

Postby SlyReaper » Sat Nov 14, 2009 5:24 pm UTC

Chloe died. Twice. That's awesome. Trouble is it's a time travel episode so she'll probably get better.

I thought we decided not to use spoiler tags any more?

headprogrammingczar

Postby headprogrammingczar » Sat Nov 14, 2009 5:27 pm UTC

The only thing I could think was "Rush looks a lot like Hamlet".
<Cheese> I love you

Jorpho

Re: Stargate: Universe (Time) Ep. 8

Postby Jorpho » Sat Nov 14, 2009 6:56 pm UTC

Dangit, you spoiled me, SkyReaper! I think we do need those tags.

Hale wrote:
Spoiler:
At least for a while more. It seems we have to wait until next week to see if they manage to fix everything, double time travel is a risky proposal.
No, I think they tied up all the loose ends rather admirably this way. I like it.

Return to “Movies and TV Shows”