Stairgate: Universe

Rot your brains, then rot our boards

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

EdgarJPublius
Official Propagandi.... Nifty Poster Guy

Re: Stargate: Universe

Postby EdgarJPublius » Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:10 am UTC

Well, they were doing legitimate research at Icarus base, it's not far fetched that a senator might be interested in whatever is getting done there and wanted to check it out.

Either that, or he was just being nosey and wanted some proof that the Stargate Program was worth the money, so they sent him somewhere that his stupid questions wouldn't annoy anyone doing anything important and with a minimal chance of getting attacked by Goa'uld or whoever.
Roosevelt wrote:
I wrote:Does Space Teddy Roosevelt wrestle Space Bears and fight the Space Spanish-American War with his band of Space-volunteers the Space Rough Riders?

Yes.

-still unaware of the origin and meaning of his own user-title

Nath

Postby Nath » Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:10 pm UTC

Ha. Ever since I saw episode 200, I knew...
Spoiler:
...someone would get pregnant on SG:U.

I just figured it would be Chloe.

Sockmonkey

Postby Sockmonkey » Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:28 pm UTC

As long as it's an alien parasite I'm on board with it.

Spoiler:
Ok, I just watched the latest ep and aside from setting up a couple of things for future episodes it was nothing Remember the rock biter's description of the nothing that was devouring Fantasia in The Neverending Story? It was like that. Are we supposed to find Rush to be more sympathetic because he was too busy with work to comfort his dying wife? Maybe it's just me but it didn't seem to work. He's still an ass.

Princess Marzipan

Postby Princess Marzipan » Sat Apr 24, 2010 6:50 am UTC

What the fuck is wrong with the writers?

I had a few issues with this episode.

The flashback scenes:
Spoiler:
I don't think this was as interesting as it could have been if we had seen a bit of this happening in the pilot. If we were literally reliving these scenes along with Rush, it would have been easier to understand or relate to his outbursts at his students or over the phone or at DanielJackson. It just wasn't remotely compelling. He was reliving a backstory HE knew like the back of his hand, but that we weren't really familiar with - and because of that, it was difficult to feel engaged by any of these scenes.

The Hitchhiker's reference:
Spoiler:
FUCK, that didn't require an explanation! "46...Well it's not the answer to life, the universe, and everything, but it's at least a start." was all that was needed. The people the joke was written for would have understood it and the people it wasn't written for wouldn't have known there was anything that went over their heads. I watched this episode with some friends, and one of them said that he was already laughing, UNTIL the joke was then explained and thereby nullified. The explanation is likely unnecessary for most of SyFy's demographic, and it seems to me that it would be more alienating than explanatory to others.

The above are perhaps nitpicky, or personal taste issues. But the events at the very end of the episode let me down a lot:
Spoiler:
Early on in the series, it was established that Destiny would remain stationary if the stargate were 'held open' by a partially inserted object - Eli's arm. There's no telling if Destiny would wait the entire 38 minutes, but if four people are trapped on a planet, 1-38 additional minutes is INFINITELY MORE HELPFUL than 0 additional minutes. Even if the rescue team were ordered to return, the time is still useful.

Now, if I were making this critique of, say, a Star Trek episode, that kind of "why didn't they just do x" thing happens all the time and it's just sort of accepted that there's presumably a valid reason the idea was rejected or not considered. But all throughout SG-1, alternate solutions that worked in the past are always being brought up and rejected due to circumstances.

Eli is smart. He knows the gate can be held open. He also knows that prevents Destiny from going into FTL. He also knows that 38 minutes is the maximum time a wormhole can be sustained. And even with him entering fatalistic fuck-it-all-we're-going-to-die-here mode, Colonel Young ALSO knows all of those facts (maybe not the 38 minutes part, but definitely the rest). And while we know he definitely isn't the best officer by any means, he's not so god-awful that holding the gate open wouldn't occur to him. And we also know he doesn't exactly like to give up easily, given how he acted when Scott was wedged in place on the frozen planet.

Slide a god damn rock halfway through the gate and Destiny would remain at least another minute, and possibly another 38. There is no explanation other than bad writing as to why the subject didn't come up. Either it didn't occur to the writers, which means they're of a vastly inferior breed given how good SG-1's writers were with making sure we knew why old solutions wouldn't work for new problems, or they deliberately didn't bother accounting for it. Whether that would have been because they couldn't find a satisfactory way to fit it in, or thought the viewers wouldn't notice or care, it's just plain awful writing.

Sigh.
"It's Saturday night. I've got no date, a two-liter of Shasta, and my all-Rush mixtape. Let's rock!"
"I am just about to be brilliant!"
General_Norris, on feminism, wrote:If you lose your six Pokémon, you lost.

Sockmonkey

Postby Sockmonkey » Sat Apr 24, 2010 8:31 am UTC

I agree with all of that. You worded it better than I could have.

Spoiler:
The 38 minute window snafu is an even bigger screw-up when you take into account the fact that they didn't need to "accidentally" leave it out. They could have used it and still not gotten everyone out in time and the episode would have ended the same only less stupidly.

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Sat Apr 24, 2010 10:51 pm UTC

Flashbacks? Mysterious recurring numbers? Really? Now they've even stopped pretending not to be "Lost".
I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Sat Apr 24, 2010 11:34 pm UTC

Princess Marzipan wrote:
Spoiler:
There's no telling if Destiny would wait the entire 38 minutes, but if four people are trapped on a planet, 1-38 additional minutes is INFINITELY MORE HELPFUL than 0 additional minutes. Even if the rescue team were ordered to return, the time is still useful.
I disagree.
Spoiler:
It seemed reasonably clear enough that another 38 minutes was not, in fact, going to help much at all.
Give the writers a little credit.

I quite liked this episode! I think it was one of the best ones so far! It's especially refreshing to finally have a plot like this where
Spoiler:
someone actually figures out right away that he's actually dreaming and trying to look for something hidden rather than coming to the realization ten minutes before the end, ages after the audience has realized it. Or do the whole "I think I've woken up now, but wait, I'm still dreaming!!" blather.

Zorlin

Postby Zorlin » Sun Apr 25, 2010 4:18 pm UTC

The 46 thing would have sucked if not for them figuring it out (mostly) in the same episode. The explanation of brute forcing was... a little... *puts on sunglasses* forced, though.

Also, the 42 joke was ruined by the explanation. ARGHGHGHGH.
Mysterious wizard rabbit of unknown proportions.

Check out #xkcd-hugs movie night! Watch movies with your fellow xkcdians.

Meaux_Pas wrote:You're all mad.

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Sun Apr 25, 2010 5:10 pm UTC

Similar to the 42 joke, I was quite frustrated when (long-haired younger civilian chick I can't remember the name of) apologized for referencing to in-universe lore.
I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.

Sockmonkey

Postby Sockmonkey » Sun Apr 25, 2010 7:00 pm UTC

Jorpho wrote:I disagree.
Spoiler:
It seemed reasonably clear enough that another 38 minutes was not, in fact, going to help much at all.
Give the writers a little credit.

I quite liked this episode! I think it was one of the best ones so far! It's especially refreshing to finally have a plot like this where
Spoiler:
someone actually figures out right away that he's actually dreaming and trying to look for something hidden rather than coming to the realization ten minutes before the end, ages after the audience has realized it. Or do the whole "I think I've woken up now, but wait, I'm still dreaming!!" blather.

Spoiler:
Yeah... Hey guys another 38 minutes probably isn't enough time to save you so we're just gonna bail out now. Kay bye! Even if the odds are impossible you still at least give it a shot.
Realizing it's a dream early on has been done before in other SG series so we're past the point where it's still considered clever.
The writers can have credit when they earn it.

Alder

Postby Alder » Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:19 pm UTC

I'm only 20 minutes into the latest episode right now, but the violin in the flashbacks is driving me crazy...
Plasma Man wrote:I might have to get rid of some of my breadbins.

Kulantan wrote:I feel a great disturbance in the Fora, as if millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror and then kinda trailed off to a grumble.

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:27 pm UTC

Sockmonkey wrote:
Spoiler:
Realizing it's a dream early on has been done before in other SG series so we're past the point where it's still considered clever.
Perhaps, but I can't quite remember one where they've done it quite like this.

Princess Marzipan

Postby Princess Marzipan » Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:35 pm UTC

You, sir, name? wrote:Similar to the 42 joke, I was quite frustrated when (long-haired younger civilian chick I can't remember the name of) apologized for referencing to in-universe lore.

Alder wrote:I'm only 20 minutes into the latest episode right now, but the violin in the flashbacks is driving me crazy...

Those things pissed me the hell off, too. She specifically apologized for having a "nerd moment," something we've seen Carter and McKay and DanielJackson do on myriad occasions, because THAT'S WHAT THEY'RE ON THE FUCKING TEAM FOR.
"It's Saturday night. I've got no date, a two-liter of Shasta, and my all-Rush mixtape. Let's rock!"

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:52 pm UTC

Princess Marzipan wrote:
You, sir, name? wrote:Similar to the 42 joke, I was quite frustrated when (long-haired younger civilian chick I can't remember the name of) apologized for referencing to in-universe lore.

Alder wrote:I'm only 20 minutes into the latest episode right now, but the violin in the flashbacks is driving me crazy...

Those things pissed me the hell off, too. She specifically apologized for having a "nerd moment," something we've seen Carter and McKay and DanielJackson do on myriad occasions, because THAT'S WHAT THEY'RE ON THE FUCKING TEAM FOR.

It isn't even a nerd moment from the point of view of the stargate universe. Are they actively trying to alienate sci-fi fans? (Though knowing "Syfy" they just might be)

Alder

Postby Alder » Sun Apr 25, 2010 9:32 pm UTC

You, sir, name? wrote:
Princess Marzipan wrote:Those things pissed me the hell off, too. She specifically apologized for having a "nerd moment," something we've seen Carter and McKay and DanielJackson do on myriad occasions, because THAT'S WHAT THEY'RE ON THE FUCKING TEAM FOR.

It isn't even a nerd moment from the point of view of the stargate universe. Are they actively trying to alienate sci-fi fans? (Though knowing "Syfy" they just might be)

That bugged me when I got to it. Who do they think is watching the show?

Thinking about it, it was *unusually* nerdy for Chloe, which was perhaps the point they were trying to make. Typically of SG:U, though, they didn't make that point, they made one slightly similar, which the writers would swear blind was exactly the same, and it's the Stoopid Fans who just Didn't Get It and why won't they Stop Complaining...

Note: if Chloe nerded up a bit, I'd probably like her a whole lot more.

Kulantan wrote:I feel a great disturbance in the Fora, as if millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror and then kinda trailed off to a grumble.

EdgarJPublius

Postby EdgarJPublius » Sun Apr 25, 2010 10:22 pm UTC

Jorpho wrote:
Spoiler:

except that Rush spends the whole time
Spoiler:
looking in the wrong direction anyway and doesn't realize that what he's looking for has been staring him in the face the whole time until the end

Which is just as much of a cliche.
Roosevelt wrote:
I wrote:Does Space Teddy Roosevelt wrestle Space Bears and fight the Space Spanish-American War with his band of Space-volunteers the Space Rough Riders?

Yes.

thecommabandit

Postby thecommabandit » Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:19 am UTC

At least we got some characterisation out of the deal. He's no longer just an irrationally callous smartman. And in the brief amount of speaking he had after recovering he seemed a little brighter than usual. This would be an improvement. The Civilians vs Military thing has got old. One thing that bugs me is that this episode was entirely about the neural interface chair, and yet nothing was mentioned of the other guy who used it except a very brief flash of him during the "here's a bunch of relevant stuff" clips. And if we're keeping score... he's probably been out for a month, at very least. With limited medical supplies wouldn't he be either dead or pretty much dead by now?

And I hated Chloe less this episode.

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:33 am UTC

thecommabandit wrote:"here's a bunch of relevant stuff" clips.

I'm confused by those. For one, those clips made a big point about the ship being powered by stars, but that wasn't even remotely connected to the story in this episode. Or the previous one.

I hated Chloe more when she apologised for saying something clever. Aww diddums, will soldier boy think you're not cool if you demonstrate an IQ higher than a turnip's?
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

Alder

Postby Alder » Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:44 am UTC

SlyReaper wrote:Aww diddums, will soldier boy think you're not cool if you demonstrate an IQ higher than a turnip's?

You made me snort. Grazie.

Sockmonkey

Postby Sockmonkey » Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:03 am UTC

Jorpho wrote:
Sockmonkey wrote:
Spoiler:
Perhaps, but I can't quite remember one where they've done it quite like this.

In the SG episode where the replicators were trying to mind-screw Carter she caught on right away and called shenanigans on them.

Princess Marzipan

Postby Princess Marzipan » Mon Apr 26, 2010 6:30 pm UTC

thecommabandit wrote:"here's a bunch of relevant stuff" clips.
That's actually just the standard show opener. It's, uh, not the best one I've seen.

Sockmonkey wrote:In the SG episode where the replicators were trying to mind-screw Carter she caught on right away and called shenanigans on them.
Carter isn't the type to actually call shenanigans. Now, O'Neill... =P

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:09 pm UTC

Sockmonkey wrote:In the SG episode where the replicators were trying to mind-screw Carter she caught on right away and called shenanigans on them.
I think I kind of remember that one. But they didn't spend the rest of the episode playing shenanigans once shenanigans had been called. Shenanigans!

Princess Marzipan wrote:That's actually just the standard show opener. It's, uh, not the best one I've seen.
They change it up a bit every week. Last episode, for instance, they mentioned the lockout code.

-.Mateo.-

Postby -.Mateo.- » Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:05 am UTC

Spoiler:
Did anyone else think of the futurama's "robo-executive" that is programmed to underestimate the audience when they explained the hitchhicker reference?

also, how the fuck didn't I think of the 38 minutes?
Last edited by -.Mateo.- on Tue Apr 27, 2010 2:32 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Magus wrote:If history is to change, let it change. If the world is to be destroyed, so be it. If my fate is to die, I must simply laugh.

Just as you touch the energy of every life form you meet, so, too, will will their energy strengthen you.

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:10 am UTC

-.Mateo.- wrote:Did anyone else think of the futurama "robo-executive" that is programmed to underestimate the audience when they explained the hitchhicker reference?

Nothing a pinch of Torgo's Executive Powder won't fix.

Princess Marzipan

Postby Princess Marzipan » Wed Apr 28, 2010 12:15 am UTC

Anyone know anything about why the latest episode isn't up on hulu yet? o_O

Nath

Postby Nath » Wed Apr 28, 2010 12:40 am UTC

They've started airing SGU episodes on a one week delay.

Princess Marzipan

Postby Princess Marzipan » Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:25 am UTC

That is so fucking asinine. It's a serial show; that means it's now impossible to catch up if you miss one. o_O

Nath

Postby Nath » Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:12 am UTC

Yeah, that's probably why they chose the 7-8 day delay. They probably want people who have the option of watching it on TV to do so consistently. Of course, it actually has the opposite effect, by forcing people who'd rather watch it on TV to consistently watch it online, if they miss an episode.

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:14 am UTC

There are ways of catching up on episodes that aren't Hulu.
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

headprogrammingczar

Postby headprogrammingczar » Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:39 pm UTC

Not legal ones though, so it still doesn't explain their idiotic decision.
<quintopia> You're not crazy. you're the goddamn headprogrammingspock!
<Weeks> You're the goddamn headprogrammingspock!
<Cheese> I love you

Pez Dispens3r
is not a stick figure.

Postby Pez Dispens3r » Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:41 pm UTC

When Nath and czar post in quick succession I am amused slightly.

EDIT: My opinion is that Universe still sucks, in that I-still-have-to-watch-it way. I mean, SG:1 does not represent the height of television sci-fi, but it had its charms (until the Ori arc, and the season before that). And Atlantis was a gem for its first two seasons. This show just reeks of trying to be too many things at once, which it fails at for the mediocrity of its writing. It is not even lame funny. And Chloe isn't even hot. Ugh, it's just completely the worst way to keep the Stargate mythos moving forward.
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:I feel like you're probably an ocelot, and I feel like I want to eat you. Feeling is fun!
this isn't my cow

ArgonV

Postby ArgonV » Wed Apr 28, 2010 5:23 pm UTC

headprogrammingczar wrote:Not legal ones though, so it still doesn't explain their idiotic decision.

That'd be legal over here. Then again, Hulu isn't available here.

Sockmonkey

Postby Sockmonkey » Thu Apr 29, 2010 2:26 am UTC

Meh, Chloe could be hot if she didn't talk.

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Sat May 01, 2010 12:22 am UTC

Pez Dispens3r wrote:My opinion is that Universe still sucks, in that I-still-have-to-watch-it way.
Yeah, we've started getting together, ordering chicken wings, and bitching about it each week. Makes for a fun Friday night. (We means me and Will and Princess Marzipan and sarahnade.)

Update halfway through tonight's episode:
Generic Drama (In Space!)

Oh, good, Greer's angry at the world because his alcoholic black father was abusive. I'm glad they didn't do anything boring and unoriginal or some shit to explain that...
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Sat May 01, 2010 2:01 am UTC

More like Lost:
Spoiler:
Now people hang out and talk with their dead relatives?

And also the blond chick is preggers.
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

Pez Dispens3r
is not a stick figure.

Postby Pez Dispens3r » Sat May 01, 2010 4:06 am UTC

gmalivuk wrote:
Pez Dispens3r wrote:My opinion is that Universe still sucks, in that I-still-have-to-watch-it way.
Yeah, we've started getting together, ordering chicken wings, and bitching about it each week. Makes for a fun Friday night. (We means me and Will and Princess Marzipan and sarahnade.)

That actually sounds like a great way to make the best of a bad situation.
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:I feel like you're probably an ocelot, and I feel like I want to eat you. Feeling is fun!
this isn't my cow

Sockmonkey

Postby Sockmonkey » Sat May 01, 2010 5:57 am UTC

Spoiler:
Meh, I guess I hate Greer a little less now. I kinda guessed that the group would be left behind since the latest trope is to purposely avoid old tropes like pulling off the last-second rescue that the writers were clearly trying to make us think would happen. I suppose they think they're being clever. The bit with the rancor-esque critter was neat though. They have written themselves into a corner though. Now they have to get controll the ship. Having them have to abandon the ship and be stuck with gate-hopping around the galaxy might have been an interesting change.

EdgarJPublius

Postby EdgarJPublius » Sat May 01, 2010 6:01 am UTC

what was the point of Scott shooting at the rancor thing though? He was like, literally three steps from the gate and didn't need to be wasting ammo.
Roosevelt wrote:

Yes.

Alder

Postby Alder » Sat May 01, 2010 9:15 am UTC

gmalivuk wrote:

Sounds like fun...I just get to complain online with a pal who doesn't live close enough for food sharing. "Did Greer just eat that fruit? What is wrong with him? <headdesk>"

Sockmonkey

Postby Sockmonkey » Sat May 01, 2010 9:19 am UTC

I suspect all of us are watching this only to rip on it.
And I'm cool with that.

Return to “Movies and TV Shows”