Stairgate: Universe

Rot your brains, then rot our boards

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

SlyReaper
inflatable

Re: Stargate: Universe

Postby SlyReaper » Mon Oct 26, 2009 1:04 pm UTC

Spoiler:
Of course, there is the problem that Rush is supposedly a genius. I'm not the only one who immediately called the likely outcome, and if a bunch of internet dwellers can predict the outcome, you'd think the super-genius-boffin of the show would have figured it out.
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

Chen

Postby Chen » Mon Oct 26, 2009 5:24 pm UTC

SlyReaper wrote:
Spoiler:
Of course, there is the problem that Rush is supposedly a genius. I'm not the only one who immediately called the likely outcome, and if a bunch of internet dwellers can predict the outcome, you'd think the super-genius-boffin of the show would have figured it out.

Spoiler:
Yeah this. I mean how many times have we seen SGC personel in ridiculously dire situations where they are at least scrambling to figure some way out of it. Here they kinda just sit back and were like "yeah we're screwed, better start the triage". What really really bothers me is that it was the SHIP the initiated the aero-braking maneuver. Why would you suddenly assume it did it WRONG? I can understand if they wanted a contingency plan but not one person suggested things might be ok.

And while I could see Rush getting rid of extra mouthes to feed, its completely illogical to thing he would have willingly accepted the loss of all the supplies they could fit on the shuttle.

The sex scene with Chloe and the lieutenent guy was kinda out of the blue too. They hadn't really built that relationship up at all.

The redeeming thing about that episode is how they built Greer's character a bit. Showed that maybe he isn't just a psycho (which wasnt immediately clear in some of the earlier ones).

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Mon Oct 26, 2009 5:59 pm UTC

Spoiler:
Yeah Chloe's much more of a cock-tease than I thought she'd be. Poor Eli.

Nath

Postby Nath » Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:03 am UTC

SlyReaper wrote:
Spoiler:

Spoiler:
We have an advantage here. We know it's a TV show, and TV shows are predictable. We've seen these kinds of situations before, and we know that the ship has to survive because we're only a few episodes in. I agree that someone should have seen it coming, but I don't think it's necessarily unrealistic when something becomes obvious to the audience before it becomes obvious to the characters.

headprogrammingczar

Postby headprogrammingczar » Tue Oct 27, 2009 1:19 pm UTC

It certainly would have been hilarious to have it be Eli that figures it out, just so they could lampshade it.
<quintopia> You're not crazy. you're the goddamn headprogrammingspock!
<Weeks> You're the goddamn headprogrammingspock!
<Cheese> I love you

Moo
Oh man! I'm going to be so rebellious! I'm gonna...

Postby Moo » Wed Oct 28, 2009 11:33 am UTC

We should agree what we're spoilering and what not, the thread gets hard to read.
Chen wrote:
Spoiler:
What really really bothers me is that it was the SHIP the initiated the aero-braking maneuver. Why would you suddenly assume it did it WRONG?
Maybe because
Spoiler:
as far as they know, the ship they know almost nothing about just ran out of any power it might have otherwise used to correct their course? It's really not that implausable.

I liked this episode the most of all so far, at least something really happened.

Regarding Camille's confrontation with Young,
Spoiler:
I know I'm probably in a very small minority but like Camille I don't subscribe to the currently popular postmodern, individual-centric, private right lauding mentality and I agree with her that if they were really choosing the 17 people who were going to have to survive on their own, the most logical thing to do is to prioritise based on skills (esp science and survival), health, age and - if they want to propogate, they may not want to - gender and fertility.
Proverbs 9:7-8 wrote:Anyone who rebukes a mocker will get an insult in return. Anyone who corrects the wicked will get hurt. So don't bother correcting mockers; they will only hate you.
Hawknc wrote:FFT: I didn't realise Proverbs 9:7-8 was the first recorded instance of "haters gonna hate"

Chen

Postby Chen » Wed Oct 28, 2009 12:28 pm UTC

Moo wrote:We should agree what we're spoilering and what not, the thread gets hard to read.

Yeah I agree with this. Just been spoilering stuff for a "just in case" reason. Really I'd imagine TV show threads about currently running shows should be expected to have spoilers in them.

Spoiler:
I know I'm probably in a very small minority but like Camille I don't subscribe to the currently popular postmodern, individual-centric, private right lauding mentality and I agree with her that if they were really choosing the 17 people who were going to have to survive on their own, the most logical thing to do is to prioritise based on skills (esp science and survival), health, age and - if they want to propogate, they may not want to - gender and fertility.

Spoiler:
There's also the consideration that if you DID decide who goes, there could just be a mass revolt which could cause problems or even losing control of the actual shuttle. The other thing was that it didnt seem like most of them have any type of good survival skills anyways so it was kind of a wash at who went besides maybe the medic (and Rush woulda probably been useful there too despite his not wanting to go). I guess we really don't know much about the rest of the people who are around so maybe there were some brilliant survivalists who should have gone or whatever.

Moo

Postby Moo » Wed Oct 28, 2009 12:36 pm UTC

Re spoilers, the one thing I'd say is that this airs at different times in different countries so the one thing that would be massively useful is that if you talk about an episode that hasn't been talked about before in the thread, you state at the start of your post which new episode you're talking about so that, for example, me in the UK knows not to read it before it airs here. I know I could download it but it's nice to have something to look forward to every week and have it be totally legal and effortless at that.

This is just a suggestion/friendly request, mind you.
Proverbs 9:7-8 wrote:Anyone who rebukes a mocker will get an insult in return. Anyone who corrects the wicked will get hurt. So don't bother correcting mockers; they will only hate you.
Hawknc wrote:FFT: I didn't realise Proverbs 9:7-8 was the first recorded instance of "haters gonna hate"

Princess Marzipan

Postby Princess Marzipan » Wed Oct 28, 2009 1:36 pm UTC

It's actually probably easier if we tag the title with a spoiler warning and then forgo them altogether at this point. Figure out when the show airs in the US and stop checking the thread then until you've seen it. (I actually watch on Hulu some time over the weekend, so I know when Friday rolls around to stop checking this thread until I catch up.)
"It's Saturday night. I've got no date, a two-liter of Shasta, and my all-Rush mixtape. Let's rock!"
"I am just about to be brilliant!"
General_Norris, on feminism, wrote:If you lose your six Pokémon, you lost.

Moo

Postby Moo » Wed Oct 28, 2009 2:16 pm UTC

If I want to post at all, I have to hope I do in the window between when I've seen my most current episode (let's call it episode number N) but before N+1 comes out in the US, otherwise I'll start reading the next post unaware that we've moved on an episode and get spoiled. Used to happen all the time with The Sarah Connor Chronicles, until I stopped going to the thread altogether.

As it stands, ours show on a Tuesday night and yours airs on that Thursday, so I have two days in which I can check the thread. It doesn't seem like that much to ask to just put "Air, ep 3" at the top of your post.

Princess Marzipan

Postby Princess Marzipan » Wed Oct 28, 2009 3:21 pm UTC

I was just talking about forgoing spoiler tags specifically, just because it makes the thread such a pain in the ass to read.

Each post has a spot for subject that no one ever uses; we could use that indicate that we're talking about a given episode. (SGU airs Friday at 9 in the US, so starting early Saturday at 3am UK time, the new episode is likely to be discussed in-thread.)
"It's Saturday night. I've got no date, a two-liter of Shasta, and my all-Rush mixtape. Let's rock!"

Moo

Postby Moo » Wed Oct 28, 2009 4:08 pm UTC

That's a good idea, if everyone remembers to do it. It's a good practise to adopt in the subfora as a whole. Maybe we can get someone to edit those instructions into the OP?

ToLazyToThink

Postby ToLazyToThink » Sat Oct 31, 2009 10:55 am UTC

Chen wrote:
Moo wrote:We should agree what we're spoilering and what not, the thread gets hard to read.
Chen wrote:
Spoiler:
What really really bothers me is that it was the SHIP the initiated the aero-braking maneuver. Why would you suddenly assume it did it WRONG?
Maybe because
Spoiler:
as far as they know, the ship they know almost nothing about just ran out of any power it might have otherwise used to correct their course? It's really not that implausable.

Spoiler:
But what are the chances that the ship messed up in a way that:
1) They didn't end up burning up in the gas gaint (or missing it all together)
2) They ended up pointed at an object in the local system rather than heading off into deep space?

I'd still be rather nervous as the ship got close, but I'd at least stop to wonder if there was possibly a reason my AI controlled powerless ship might want to visit a giant fusion reactor

I used a spoiler tag since I wasn't sure if that discussion was finished yet, still talking about "Light".

SlyReaper
inflatable

Episode 6

Postby SlyReaper » Sat Oct 31, 2009 1:00 pm UTC

Another redshirt bites the dust.

Okay so they've solved air, power, and now that the space bugs are gone and they have some ice to replenish some stocks, presumably the water problem. Now the real trick is going to be food. You can't just stumble upon any random nitrogen-oxygen planet and assume the local flora and fauna are edible.

Xeio
Friends, Faidites, Countrymen

Postby Xeio » Sun Nov 01, 2009 10:52 am UTC

Chen wrote:
Spoiler:
And while I could see Rush getting rid of extra mouthes to feed, its completely illogical to thing he would have willingly accepted the loss of all the supplies they could fit on the shuttle.

The sex scene with Chloe and the lieutenent guy was kinda out of the blue too. They hadn't really built that relationship up at all.
Spoiler:
Both of these. Though, I could see rush wanting to get rid of people more than just because of less mouths to feed (maybe he cares more than he lets on, but it's hard to tell)... but supplies... and a shuttle? And I almost want to go back and watch earlier episodes for the relationship thing to try and make sense of it... wtf? That seemed entirely random.

Lamhslea

Postby Lamhslea » Mon Nov 02, 2009 1:17 am UTC

Chen wrote:
Spoiler:

The redeeming thing about that episode is how they built Greer's character a bit. Showed that maybe he isn't just a psycho (which wasnt immediately clear in some of the earlier ones).

Spoiler:
I don't think it was that off the wall, even though they were confident the lieutenant would be picked to pilot, as far as they knew Chloe could be dead inside of a day if she wasn't picked for the lottery. They had already hit it off earlier and imminent death does funny things to a person.

I also like how Greer's character is coming along, although I am really curious about what he did to be locked up in the first episode. My favorite line of his so far is when he made the flamethrower "I can invent stuff too."

Princess Marzipan

Postby Princess Marzipan » Mon Nov 02, 2009 3:23 am UTC

So if you're watching this only on TV, try checking out the web exclusive content on Hulu. It's quite silly.

Xeio

Postby Xeio » Mon Nov 02, 2009 6:41 am UTC

Princess Marzipan wrote:So if you're watching this only on TV, try checking out the web exclusive content on Hulu. It's quite silly.
"Let's be serious people ... What do you call this?" "The APLCR" "Yes, exactly the APL... Applecore?" "Pretty much." :mrgreen:

grythyttan
Location: Hncwhxagykozzqlif azefkbtvw. Kjkd sb, ypwyw eg tdpm.

Postby grythyttan » Mon Nov 02, 2009 7:14 am UTC

Is it possible to find that stuff anywhere else? because hulu doesn't like my country. :( Or at least it didn't last time I checked.
Joy of Cooking was far less of an achievement than Thyme Cube discovery, for I have Cubed the Spice, with 4 simultaneous flavor types in 1 plant of Earth.
Spoiler:

Princess Marzipan

Postby Princess Marzipan » Mon Nov 02, 2009 7:38 am UTC

The web content may be something you can access from outside the US.

grythyttan
Location: Hncwhxagykozzqlif azefkbtvw. Kjkd sb, ypwyw eg tdpm.

Postby grythyttan » Mon Nov 02, 2009 8:50 am UTC

Nope, no hulu for me. but they seem to be on youtube. excellent! I'll watch them when I get home.
Joy of Cooking was far less of an achievement than Thyme Cube discovery, for I have Cubed the Spice, with 4 simultaneous flavor types in 1 plant of Earth.
Spoiler:

Alder

Postby Alder » Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:04 pm UTC

Lamhslea wrote:
Spoiler:
I also like how Greer's character is coming along, although I am really curious about what he did to be locked up in the first episode. My favorite line of his so far is when he made the flamethrower "I can invent stuff too."

Re: Why was Greer locked up in the first place:
Spoiler:
Can't remember which episode it was in, but there's a conversation between Greer and Col. Young, and it comes out that Greer decked Col. Telford. (The guy being played by Lou Diamond Phillips). What brought it on, we don't know, but Young said that Telford had it coming...
Plasma Man wrote:I might have to get rid of some of my breadbins.

Kulantan wrote:I feel a great disturbance in the Fora, as if millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror and then kinda trailed off to a grumble.

SlyReaper
inflatable

Ep6

Postby SlyReaper » Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:09 pm UTC

Telford does seem to be somewhat of a prick from what we've seen of him.

When they threw out that can of bees, how did they know they weren't going to come straight back when Young and Scott dailed back?

Alder

Re: Ep6

Postby Alder » Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:27 pm UTC

SlyReaper wrote:Telford does seem to be somewhat of a prick from what we've seen of him.

When they threw out that can of bees, how did they know they weren't going to come straight back when Young and Scott dailed back?

Heh, I wondered that too. I mean, that's how they ended up on the ship in the first place...
Plasma Man wrote:I might have to get rid of some of my breadbins.

Kulantan wrote:I feel a great disturbance in the Fora, as if millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror and then kinda trailed off to a grumble.

ArgonV

Postby ArgonV » Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:30 pm UTC

They probably figured the atmosphere would be poisonous to the bugs as well. It seems they survived on oxygen and since bugs don't have an efficient respiratory system, that 1.3% oxygen level was way too low. They guessed the bugs would die when they were exposed to the atmosphere.

All I wondered was: Were the bugs intelligent live? Maybe not exactly sapient, but they did seem to demonstrate intelligence.

Zorlin

Postby Zorlin » Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:50 pm UTC

Perhaps because the "bugs" thrive in moisture-rich conditions... which a planet made of ice seems to fit nicely. They can be perfectly happy there if the atmosphere didn't kill them.
Mysterious wizard rabbit of unknown proportions.

Check out #xkcd-hugs movie night! Watch movies with your fellow xkcdians.

Meaux_Pas wrote:You're all mad.

ArgonV

Postby ArgonV » Mon Nov 02, 2009 11:36 pm UTC

Zorlin wrote:Perhaps because the "bugs" thrive in moisture-rich conditions... which a planet made of ice seems to fit nicely. They can be perfectly happy there if the atmosphere didn't kill them.

Doubt that, they were first discovered on a desert planet

Princess Marzipan

Postby Princess Marzipan » Tue Nov 03, 2009 12:31 am UTC

ArgonV wrote:
Zorlin wrote:Perhaps because the "bugs" thrive in moisture-rich conditions... which a planet made of ice seems to fit nicely. They can be perfectly happy there if the atmosphere didn't kill them.

near its moisture...

Lamhslea

Postby Lamhslea » Tue Nov 03, 2009 2:24 am UTC

ArgonV wrote:All I wondered was: Were the bugs intelligent live? Maybe not exactly sapient, but they did seem to demonstrate intelligence.

I think it's something like a peer-to-peer type brain; each individual bug has a minuscule part of the whole consciousness and as they get closer together the hive mind gets more powerful.

Zorlin

Season 1, Episode 6

Postby Zorlin » Tue Nov 03, 2009 7:32 am UTC

The entity gave out moisture to save Scott back in Air.

It seems to resemble Tiddalick in that it can take in water and give out water (except it can control the second, obviously), but note that it can also give and take life (like a Wraith).
Mysterious wizard rabbit of unknown proportions.

Check out #xkcd-hugs movie night! Watch movies with your fellow xkcdians.

Meaux_Pas wrote:You're all mad.

Xeio

Re: Season 1, Episode 6

Postby Xeio » Tue Nov 03, 2009 6:22 pm UTC

Zorlin wrote:It seems to resemble Tiddalick in that it can take in water and give out water (except it can control the second, obviously), but note that it can also give and take life (like a Wraith).
When was the latter demonstrated? Other than turning that guy into mincemeat, and I dont think they could reverse that.

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Tue Nov 03, 2009 6:29 pm UTC

ArgonV wrote:

Perhaps they were the reason it was a desert planet?

ArgonV

Postby ArgonV » Tue Nov 03, 2009 7:03 pm UTC

SlyReaper wrote:
ArgonV wrote:

Perhaps they were the reason it was a desert planet?

Hmm, hadn't considered that possibility yet, good catch. Still didn't they disband after forming that face in front of Scott? I took that as a sign they died, but that might just be me.

On a somewhat related note, I'm starting to dislike Scott. I don't know what it is, but I've got something against him. I'm starting to like Greer a lot though. The flamethrower line 'I can invent things too', loved it! I also liked the blonde medic (Johansen?) getting some actual meaningful screen time.

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Tue Nov 03, 2009 8:01 pm UTC

Actually, I was thinking they'd quietly vaporize the container of bees in the kawoosh as the wormhole formed, like they did with that one Ancient communication device. (This is surely the most underutilized function of the Stargates. Think of what they could do with nuclear waste!)

Adacore wrote:
Spoiler:
the countdown-to-FTL clock on the wall is bound to lead to loads of situations where they have to frantically try to get back to the gate in time before the ship leaves them behind.
It's more than a little reminiscent of Sliders, is what it is.

Iydak

Postby Iydak » Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:05 pm UTC

Jorpho wrote:Actually, I was thinking they'd quietly vaporize the container of bees in the kawoosh as the wormhole formed, like they did with that one Ancient communication device. (This is surely the most underutilized function of the Stargates. Think of what they could do with nuclear waste!)

don't forget, they can also have someone dial in, then throw the stuff into the exit side of the wormhole. other planets in the milky way/pegasus could also use the SGC's/atlantis' iris/sheild as garbage disposal

side note about atlantis:
now that atlantis is on earth, won't that cause some major problems with the atlantis gate taking incoming wormholes?

Okita
Staying Alive

Postby Okita » Wed Nov 04, 2009 1:52 am UTC

Greer annoys me because he seems to always have some sort of anger issue/ need to be a jerk that's not really justified beyond "that's who I am and who the hell are you to judge me? ARE YOU JUDGING ME!? STOP JUDGING ME!" Vaguely juvenile backed up by skills and weaponry.

But then again, the civilians annoy me more with their "We have rights Wah!" kinda of talk.

By the way, there have been times when there are 2 gates on Earth. You can get both to work (which is weird). It's happened before back when they had 2 gates (one from Egypt one from Antartica). They were operating at almost the exact same time at one point when people were using it to gate to other places right after the SGC had gone.

Most likely, the DHD that Atlantis has (which is basically integrated into the base itself) can handle issues like there being another gate. The supercomputer that the Earth Gate normally uses probably would have to be reconfigured (unless they have learned enough from DHD's to figure out how to get them to work w/o having a DHD do the calculation for them).
"I may or may not be a raptor. There is no way of knowing until entering a box that I happen to be in and then letting me sunder the delicious human flesh from your body in reptile fury."

Chen

Postby Chen » Wed Nov 04, 2009 2:48 pm UTC

Okita wrote:By the way, there have been times when there are 2 gates on Earth. You can get both to work (which is weird). It's happened before back when they had 2 gates (one from Egypt one from Antartica). They were operating at almost the exact same time at one point when people were using it to gate to other places right after the SGC had gone.

Most likely, the DHD that Atlantis has (which is basically integrated into the base itself) can handle issues like there being another gate. The supercomputer that the Earth Gate normally uses probably would have to be reconfigured (unless they have learned enough from DHD's to figure out how to get them to work w/o having a DHD do the calculation for them).

The gate that has a DHD attached to it is the "master" gate and is where people will come out of if the dial earth. If a gate that has a DHD attached to it dials out, other gates on the planet arn't able to dial out either I believe. We saw this in that episode where the russians were using a second stargate and it got "stuck" open so SG1 couldn't really do anything with their gate. It had Troy from TNG in it and something about a submarine and underwater evil alien things (it was quite a while ago and I forget the real details)

ArgonV

Postby ArgonV » Wed Nov 04, 2009 3:18 pm UTC

I just watched that episode (Watergate) the other day. The theory behind it was that the SGCs gate was the dominant gate on Earth, except for when the Russians connected their DHD to their gate, making that one the dominant one.

Another thing I always wondered - Why is the US Air Force in command of the Stargate program? Because they're usually in command of secret projects or something like that?

headprogrammingczar

Postby headprogrammingczar » Wed Nov 04, 2009 4:40 pm UTC

Because their football team is better than the army's.
<quintopia> You're not crazy. you're the goddamn headprogrammingspock!
<Weeks> You're the goddamn headprogrammingspock!
<Cheese> I love you

Princess Marzipan

Postby Princess Marzipan » Wed Nov 04, 2009 5:27 pm UTC

Awwww. Now I want to watch episodes of SG-1 narrated by John Madden.

Return to “Movies and TV Shows”