V [one-character-titles are dumb ~4d.]

Rot your brains, then rot our boards

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Giant Speck
Bouncy Sex Marshmallow

Re: V [one-character-titles are dumb ~4d.]

Postby Giant Speck » Thu Nov 26, 2009 8:07 am UTC

LuNatic wrote:Because of its stupid one letter name, I can't track down an Australian air date :(

February 2010 on Channel 9.
"Did I say recently that I love Giant Speck? Because I love Giant Speck. He is the best." - Weeks
BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE

ArgonV

Postby ArgonV » Thu Nov 26, 2009 11:30 pm UTC

Spoiler:
Seeing the dessicated bodies makes me think the aliens are after our precious bodily fluids :shock:

LuNatic

Postby LuNatic » Fri Nov 27, 2009 6:48 am UTC

Giant Speck wrote:
LuNatic wrote:Because of its stupid one letter name, I can't track down an Australian air date :(

:o How'd you find that? Thanks! :D
Cynical Idealist wrote:
Velict wrote:Good Jehova, there are cheesegraters on the blagotube!

This is, for some reason, one of the funniest things I've read today.

Giant Speck
Bouncy Sex Marshmallow

Postby Giant Speck » Fri Nov 27, 2009 6:52 am UTC

LuNatic wrote:
Giant Speck wrote:

When searching for anything directly related to V the television series, type in "V TV series" first before the remaining criteria. I believe I searched using "V TV series Australia" and found it on the Channel 9 webpage. The air date came from the comments, which came from Wikipedia, which were later removed because some Wikieditor didn't like the idea of the page becoming like TV Guide or something.
"Did I say recently that I love Giant Speck? Because I love Giant Speck. He is the best." - Weeks
BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE

LuNatic

Postby LuNatic » Fri Nov 27, 2009 8:47 am UTC

Giant Speck wrote:
LuNatic wrote:
Giant Speck wrote:

When searching for anything directly related to V the television series, type in "V TV series" first before the remaining criteria. I believe I searched using "V TV series Australia" and found it on the Channel 9 webpage. The air date came from the comments, which came from Wikipedia, which were later removed because some Wikieditor didn't like the idea of the page becoming like TV Guide or something.

A painful process then. Thanks all the more!
Cynical Idealist wrote:

folkhero

Postby folkhero » Tue Dec 01, 2009 4:07 am UTC

ArgonV wrote:
Spoiler:
Seeing the dessicated bodies makes me think the aliens are after our precious bodily fluids :shock:

Spoiler:
That crap that they're putting in flu shots is probably fluoridated too. You ever see a V with a glass of water? On no account will a V drink water, and not without good reason?
To all law enforcement entities, this is not an admission of guilt...

GiantSnowman

Re: V

Postby GiantSnowman » Tue Dec 01, 2009 6:10 pm UTC

Didn't they already remake V once with Earth: Final Conflict? It's a bit more sf but it still had the same story core of aliens coming to earth to make everything better who secretly have a hidden agenda.

Yakk
Poster with most posts but no title.

V

Postby Yakk » Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:11 pm UTC

I watched some of the new relaunch of the TV show V the other night.

It wasn't amazing, but it didn't suck completely. Seeing first Wash (Alan Tudyk), and then Inara (Morena Baccarin) made me wonder when Kaylee would show up.
Spoiler:
And the moment when Alan's character was stabbed through the chest by a metal post... made us all break out laughing!
I remember the original series -- I even rented it once and watched (most of?) it all the way through within the last 10 years or so. I don't remember if the reveal was as fast. The production values have definitely gone up.

The Visitor uniform ... is sure useful to recruit teen age boys.
Spoiler:
Morena makes a great lizard queen.

(I don't think this series was posted yet -- searching for V doesn't work very well. For other people trying to search, I'll include some text in in a spoiler (note, contains spoilers)
Spoiler:
V, Vee, 80s television show, lizard people, fascism and resistance, government health care paranoia, immigration paranoia
One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision - BR

Last edited by JHVH on Fri Oct 23, 4004 BCE 6:17 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Yubtzock

Re: V

Postby Yubtzock » Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:20 pm UTC

Yakk wrote:
Spoiler:
Morena makes a great lizard queen.

Spoiler:
She does. I can totally tell how her real green-skinned face looks like. And she's so cold-blooded!

(I don't think this series was posted yet -- searching for V doesn't work very well. For other people trying to search, I'll include some text in in a spoiler (note, contains spoilers)
Spoiler:
V, Vee, 80s television show, lizard people, fascism and resistance, government health care paranoia, immigration paranoia

Visitor, Visitors. Worse to look for than UP, but better than 9.

Yakk

Postby Yakk » Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:49 pm UTC

That doctor...
Spoiler:
curse his sudden, yet inevitable, betrayal!
One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision - BR

Yakk

Postby Yakk » Fri Mar 12, 2010 3:23 pm UTC

What country are you in?

Giant Speck
Bouncy Sex Marshmallow

Postby Giant Speck » Sat Mar 13, 2010 12:39 am UTC

I just realized that [in the United States] the season resumes on March 30.

LuNatic

Postby LuNatic » Sat Mar 13, 2010 3:52 am UTC

Bummer, missed it. Is it worth the hassle of DLing?
Cynical Idealist wrote:

Yakk

Postby Yakk » Sat Mar 13, 2010 1:27 pm UTC

I just watched in on ctv.ca

You probably aren't a canuk.

dardarness

Postby dardarness » Mon Mar 22, 2010 4:01 am UTC

Giant Speck wrote:I just realized that [in Freedomville] the season resumes on March 30.

Interesting. I want to watch the whole series but it just fails to grab my attention every time. I'll probably have to rewatch all the previous episodes before proceeding to this one. :evil:

Malice

Postby Malice » Sat Apr 03, 2010 6:05 am UTC

I just watched the new episode.

I kind of hit the problem where it's been so long since I saw the first four, I didn't remember anything, but they were so mediocre I didn't want to watch them again. I settled for skimming the Wikipedia plot summaries.

The new episode... meh, again. V has a lot of premise and there's a lot of cool things you could do with it--personally, I'd like a procedural, a poker game where you saw the V's hand and the human's hand and watched the tactical decisions unfold. Instead we've got kind of a soap opera so far, and not even a good one--the characters are too shallow and uninteresting.

In fact, V fails at most of the things it's trying to do. About the only thing it seems to be good at is touching base with the famous moments from the original, and since I never saw the original (or heard of it before the remake), that doesn't do anything for me.

So, yeah. I'm still going to watch it, since at this point I've invested 5 hours into it, and I might as well see how it all turns out (answer: predictably), but I'm really not happy about it.

Princess Marzipan

Postby Princess Marzipan » Sat Apr 10, 2010 3:58 am UTC

Malice wrote:The new episode... meh, again. V has a lot of premise and there's a lot of cool things you could do with it--personally, I'd like a procedural, a poker game where you saw the V's hand and the human's hand and watched the tactical decisions unfold. Instead we've got kind of a soap opera so far, and not even a good one--the characters are too shallow and uninteresting.
This.

The dialogue and interactions don't feel even remotely natural. Everything feels so...manufactured. Or like this is just a first draft of the script, and they're going to twerk everything later so that it's actually believable.
"It's Saturday night. I've got no date, a two-liter of Shasta, and my all-Rush mixtape. Let's rock!"
"I am just about to be brilliant!"
General_Norris, on feminism, wrote:If you lose your six Pokémon, you lost.

Malice

Postby Malice » Sat Apr 10, 2010 12:31 pm UTC

(vague to avoid spoilers:)

I do feel the latest episode worked better, in that it at least functioned correctly to generate interest and suspense. They simplified what was going on, by focusing on one storyline (going up to the ship), one character development (FBI lady talks to ex-husband), one arc progression (the V's are testing now), and one set-up for future developments (priest talks to reporter). That's not all that happened in the episode, but those were all the multi-scene narratives, and it made for a much cleaner episode, where instead of a lot of cross-cutting between unrelated stories, we were cutting between character on the ship in danger and other characters on the ground reacting to the danger. This meant the tension could be maintained instead of deflated. I not only understood better what was happening at any given moment (enough so that for the first time in the series, I could contemplate potential actions and judge tactical or emotional choices), but I also cared a lot more about what was happening.

The previous episodes were problematic partially because they were 3 full storylines, zero character development, one arc progression. As I said, confusing, cross-cutting deflated emotions, and lack of character development sucks anyway. What basically fixed this, I think, was getting all the main characters into one room, working on one problem, which to be fair couldn't really happen until this point. But I flat think this episode was just written a little better, and structured much better.

(How much of this is film school talking and how much of it is me rationalizing my decision to watch this show to the end no matter how bad it gets is still an open question, though.)

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.
Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Postby Angua » Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:36 pm UTC

So, now that season 2 has started back again - anyone else still watching? I'm a bit annoyed at the route it seems to be taking, but I'm hoping that will change.

Slight rant and speculation
Spoiler:
Seriously, searching for the soul? I guess it's supposed to symbolise how logical (and ruthless) the V's are by jsut taking the human's word for the fact that it's eternal, and leaves the body after death and what not and so will now kill loads of humans to find it - and nothing on what they'll do with it even if they do find it, though I guess that will no doubt appear later on in the series).

I am interested in what the exact plan for Lisa and the humans is - why would they want to breed with humans? My guess is we'll find out that for some reason the V genetic code has become corrupted or something or they've done too much inbreeding as it seems the queens spawn most of the population. Maybe they had a war between the differing queens, and now there's only one left they have less genetic variation available?
Crabtree's bludgeon: “no set of mutually inconsistent observations can exist for which some human intellect cannot conceive a coherent explanation, however complicated”
GNU Terry Pratchett

ArgonV

Postby ArgonV » Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:46 pm UTC

Is it just me, or is the writing of the characters going completely bonkers?

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.

Postby Angua » Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:06 am UTC

Yeah, it's beginning to get a bit ridiculous.

I still can't get over the fact that anna is searching for the soul!!!!
Crabtree's bludgeon: “no set of mutually inconsistent observations can exist for which some human intellect cannot conceive a coherent explanation, however complicated”
GNU Terry Pratchett

ArgonV

Postby ArgonV » Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:21 am UTC

Spoiler:
Well, there's that and then there is the one guy betraying them since Anna has his daughter, but then Hobbes the hardened mercenary, who spoke out against his betrayal the most betrays them based on what could be a (manufactured) two second audio clip? And then Tyler gets up and leaves because somehow it's his mother's fault that his father died..?
Last edited by ArgonV on Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:09 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.

Postby Angua » Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:51 pm UTC

Spoilers please - I haven't had a chance to watch that particular episode yet.
GNU Terry Pratchett

ArgonV

Postby ArgonV » Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:09 pm UTC

Apologies

Xeio
Friends, Faidites, Countrymen

Postby Xeio » Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:40 am UTC

Huh, guess this will not be available on Hulu as of season 2. Too bad I wasn't attached enough to bother watching it elsewhere.

ArgonV

Postby ArgonV » Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:40 pm UTC

Latest episode made me think of this Alpha Centauri quote:
Spoiler:
Remember, genes are NOT blueprints. This means you can't, for example, insert "the genes for an elephant's trunk" into a giraffe and get a giraffe with a trunk. There are no genes for trunks. What you CAN do with genes is chemistry, since DNA codes for chemicals. For instance, we can in theory splice the native plants' talent for nitrogen fixation into a terran plant.

Academician Prokhor Zakharov, "Nonlinear Genetics"

Zorlin

Postby Zorlin » Thu Feb 24, 2011 6:47 pm UTC

Xeio wrote:elsewhere.BitTorrent

FTFY?
Mysterious wizard rabbit of unknown proportions.

Check out #xkcd-hugs movie night! Watch movies with your fellow xkcdians.

Meaux_Pas wrote:You're all mad.

Xeio
Friends, Faidites, Countrymen

Postby Xeio » Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:16 pm UTC

Zorlin wrote:
FTFY?
You forgot about "wasn't attached enough to" which was the more relevant clause.

Zorlin

Postby Zorlin » Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:31 pm UTC

Xeio wrote:
Zorlin wrote:
FTFY?
You forgot about "wasn't attached enough to" which was the more relevant clause.

I was... actually just being lazy. :(
Mysterious wizard rabbit of unknown proportions.

Check out #xkcd-hugs movie night! Watch movies with your fellow xkcdians.

Meaux_Pas wrote:You're all mad.

Return to “Movies and TV Shows”