The most beautiful animation you've ever seen?

Rot your brains, then rot our boards

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

GenericKen

The most beautiful animation you've ever seen?

Postby GenericKen » Mon Nov 23, 2009 5:54 pm UTC

I just watched the finale of Avatar: The Last Airbender on a lark and I was truly blown away by how beautiful the fight sequences were. The choreography, the cinematography, all seemed a head above any live-action movie I've seen lately. It feels like we've entered a renaissance of animation when I wasn't paying attention.

It makes me wonder what fantastic animation I've been missing. You guys have lists?

My (admittedly shallow) list:
Cowboy Bebop gunfights (with creative camera, awesome music cues)
Naruto vs Saskue fight
Samurai Jack (all of it)
Clone Wars 2D (most of it)
Clone Wars CG lightsaber choreography, esp with yoda
Wall-E on ruined earth

lulzfish

Re: The most beautiful animation you've ever seen?

Postby lulzfish » Mon Nov 23, 2009 6:04 pm UTC

I liked the CG in Ghost in the Shell (the anime series, haven't gotten around to the movies yet), but there was one scene with the following problem:

The scene was a helicopter-view of a building, with the building rotating in one direction and the background rotating in the same direction.
But, every other time they showed the building, the background was rotating the wrong way. The parallax effect was completely wrong, and it looked stupid. What the hell?

Other than that, it was great.

modularblues

Postby modularblues » Mon Nov 23, 2009 6:26 pm UTC

WALL-E is absolutely awesome. Also Spirited Away by Hayao Miyazaki. Both highly imaginative and cinematic with metaphors abound. I'm a sucker for metaphors and pretty pictures.

Princess Marzipan

Postby Princess Marzipan » Mon Nov 23, 2009 7:33 pm UTC

Anyone for Iria?
"It's Saturday night. I've got no date, a two-liter of Shasta, and my all-Rush mixtape. Let's rock!"
"I am just about to be brilliant!"
General_Norris, on feminism, wrote:If you lose your six Pokémon, you lost.

folkhero

Postby folkhero » Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:06 pm UTC

Beautiful probably isn't exactly the right word, but "The Triplets of Belleville" probably has the most visually arresting animation I've ever seen.
To all law enforcement entities, this is not an admission of guilt...

shieldforyoureyes

Postby shieldforyoureyes » Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:46 pm UTC

Yuri Norstein - Hedgehog in the Fog
Ryan Larkin - Walking

Malice

Postby Malice » Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:59 pm UTC

In non-traditional directions:

A Scanner Darkly
Renaissance
Persepolis
Waltz with Bashir

And in that weird realm between mo-cap and live action, the green screen movie, Sin City and The Spirit. (Turn the sound off if you watch the Spirit though; otherwise it's like trying to go through an art museum while somebody makes fart noises in your ear.)

modularblues

Postby modularblues » Mon Nov 23, 2009 9:30 pm UTC

folkhero wrote:Beautiful probably isn't exactly the right word, but "The Triplets of Belleville" probably has the most visually arresting animation I've ever seen.

It has a unique style which I liked as well.

In a similar vein of intriguing presentation, Waking Life has a constantly pulsating animation style and explores philosophical questions.

PatrickRsGhost

Postby PatrickRsGhost » Tue Nov 24, 2009 1:25 am UTC

In the other animation thread, a lot of us have given props to Miyazaki. I actually grabbed a couple of screen shots of some of the landscape scenes from Howl's Moving Castle, and a couple from Disney's The Lion King. I'm actually using one from the latter as my desktop.
PRG

An important message for you:

TheAmazingRando

Postby TheAmazingRando » Wed Nov 25, 2009 4:35 am UTC

Tekkonkinkreet was a flawed film, I thought, on a number of levels, but the animation itself was bizarre, arresting, gorgeous and memorable.

shieldforyoureyes

Postby shieldforyoureyes » Wed Nov 25, 2009 5:38 am UTC

TheAmazingRando wrote:Tekkonkinkreet was a flawed film, I thought, on a number of levels, but the animation itself was bizarre, arresting, gorgeous and memorable.

Yes. Gorgeous artwork.

Meloncov

Postby Meloncov » Wed Nov 25, 2009 8:35 am UTC

There is beautiful animation, and then there is beautiful art direction in an animated film. If we're talking the former, you're going to be very hard pressed to find anything that surpasses Pixar or the glory days of Disney. If we're talking the later, my vote goes to Platige Studios work, most notably The Cathedral: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8GyHvBogrI.

tin
Foxy McAwesomesworth

Postby tin » Wed Nov 25, 2009 12:37 pm UTC

shieldforyoureyes wrote:
TheAmazingRando wrote:Tekkonkinkreet was a flawed film, I thought, on a number of levels, but the animation itself was bizarre, arresting, gorgeous and memorable.

Yes. Gorgeous artwork.

I came here to see if this was mentioned, and it was. It's one of my favourite films. The making of... book and manga are incredible. Imagine all those beautiful fish-eye lens, panoramic views done in even more detail. Also, soundtrack made by Plaid = <3

Ditto on the mentioning of Miyazaki, Waltz With Bashir, Belleville Rendez Vous and Persepolis. Anyway, as an animator, there are far too many animated films out there which I love. Here are a few I adore:

Daniel Greaves' Flatworld (as well as good ol' Wallace and Gromit) inspired me to become an animator. As did the work of the Quay Brothers.
I didn't like the film, but the animation in Paprika was gorgeous.
All of the shorts seen in the Japanese series, Genius Party Beyond, especially Dimension Bomb.
Anything by Guilherme Marcondes and Shynola.
As a stop-motion animator, Madame Tutli Putli blew me away. So intricate, so beautiful. And it was made by just two guys in a bunker who were given money by the National Film Board of Canada.
i dare you to take me on...

GenericKen

Postby GenericKen » Wed Nov 25, 2009 6:32 pm UTC

I thought Perisopolis was okay, but it was overhyped for me and I couldn't really sympathize with the main character.

What little I've seen of Waltz with Bashir and Triplets of Belleville does make me want to see the whole films, though I have to admit, these beautiful indie art films have yet to blow my socks off like the modern action set pieces in kids' TV. One that comes to mind is a later episode of Teen Titans where Robin fights Slade (Deathstroke) in his head. Also, the final fight in the batman beyond: return of the joker movie.

You're right about the noteworthiness of animation in Disney films from Beauty and the Beast through Lilo & Stitch.

I do feel like squealing with glee whenever I see Wallace twiddle his fingers or Gromit walk anywhere though. =O)

The intro credits to Paranoia Agent do deserve an honorable mention imo, but I think it's mostly the song that's so affecting.

Brother Maynard

Postby Brother Maynard » Thu Nov 26, 2009 12:37 am UTC

The battle scenes from Karas were a pretty excellent fusion of 2D and 3D animation.

TheAmazingRando

Postby TheAmazingRando » Thu Nov 26, 2009 1:19 am UTC

tin wrote:I didn't like the film, but the animation in Paprika was gorgeous.
This is bizarre. I was sure I had added a second sentence to my post, where I said that I thought Paprika wasn't a good film but had some amazing animation, but here it turns out I never said anything of the sort. I guess I wasn't sure how to phrase it and took it out. Agreed, except I think that it would have been like 10X better if they had scrapped the more obvious CGI and stuck with traditional animation. The whole parade motif was absolutely stunning.

shieldforyoureyes

Postby shieldforyoureyes » Thu Nov 26, 2009 7:52 am UTC

When Bakshi gets artsy, it's fantastic. Especially the big final battle in Wizards.

Cammy

Postby Cammy » Fri Nov 27, 2009 9:48 pm UTC

I thought Kakurenbo (hide and seek) was pretty cool with the monsters. Miyazaki's films, Angel's Egg was pretty impressive. I thought Lain was well done too.

The Utilitarian

Postby The Utilitarian » Fri Nov 27, 2009 10:42 pm UTC

Princess Marzipan wrote:Anyone for Iria?

HIGH FIVE!

Iria has always been one of my favorite anime for its sheer level of polish and fantastic art. The designs just haven't been replicated since as far as I'm concerned.
Watch your back, shoot straight, conserve ammo, and never, EVER cut a deal with a dragon.
Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris.

dbsmith

Postby dbsmith » Sun Nov 29, 2009 2:01 am UTC

Waltz with Bashir

GenericKen

Postby GenericKen » Sun Nov 29, 2009 8:22 am UTC

Waltz with Bashir's officially in my queue.

One more I forgot to mention in the thread start was part 1 of the Read or Die movie. Charming and stunning, that one.

tzvibish

Postby tzvibish » Mon Nov 30, 2009 10:19 pm UTC

Coraline.

Mixture of all kinds of animation awesomeness (They even used 3d printing tech to make some of the models). You've also gotta give props to a movie where the animators are listed before the actors in the end credits. It definitely isn't the best form of animation for all movies, but for Coraline, it fit beautifully. The atmospheric and ambient soundtrack also fit the visual qualities of the more mellow art style. Sometimes, when there's less going on, the animation is actually better, because the details stand out. many modern animators seem to overlook this.
-Featuring the Comic Strip XKCD!

Amnesiasoft

Postby Amnesiasoft » Fri Dec 04, 2009 8:54 am UTC

The Iron Giant is pretty awesome.

GenericKen

Postby GenericKen » Wed Dec 09, 2009 8:08 am UTC

Saw Waltz with Bashir and liked it a lot. The ending is effective and the narrative flow works. The animation is indeed beautiful and well directed at times, but I have a minor gripe. It was clear they used flash for some bits and traditional animation for others. I thought the marionette-esque flash animation was very artful, as was the traditional rotoscopy-fluid animation, but the two styles didn't mesh together for me. I'd still recommend it to friends.

Iron Giant is a great movie (Vin Diesel's best performance to date), but I don't know if I'd say that the animation itself was that beautiful.

Need more recommendations. I'm not sure I want to get into a confusing or impenetrable japanese movie, but I will if it comes recommended highly enough.

Amnesiasoft

Postby Amnesiasoft » Wed Dec 09, 2009 8:20 am UTC

GenericKen wrote:Iron Giant is a great movie (Vin Diesel's best performance to date), but I don't know if I'd say that the animation itself was that beautiful.

To be fair, I don't watch many movies. List of movies I've seen this year: 9.

And that's more than I usually watch.

headprogrammingczar

Postby headprogrammingczar » Wed Dec 09, 2009 2:47 pm UTC

GenericKen wrote:Need more recommendations. I'm not sure I want to get into a confusing or impenetrable japanese movie, but I will if it comes recommended highly enough.

Any movie by Miyasaki. Those movies are amazing.
<quintopia> You're not crazy. you're the goddamn headprogrammingspock!
<Weeks> You're the goddamn headprogrammingspock!
<Cheese> I love you

superglucose
hermaj's new favourite

Postby superglucose » Thu Dec 10, 2009 1:58 am UTC

Virtually any Pixar. The motions the characters make are fluid and natural. I can't watch, say, Shrek, after a pixar movie because it just bothers me how stiff and unnatural the animation looks.

vanfreakinhalen

Postby vanfreakinhalen » Tue Dec 29, 2009 3:13 am UTC

Gonna go ahead and be the cliched person on this thread, but:

The background scenery animation in old Disney movies. Like, the forests in Sleeping Beauty and The Jungle Book? Amazingly. Fricking. Detailed.
I love lamp.

PatrickRsGhost

Postby PatrickRsGhost » Tue Dec 29, 2009 3:29 am UTC

vanfreakinhalen wrote:Gonna go ahead and be the cliched person on this thread, but:

The background scenery animation in old Disney movies. Like, the forests in Sleeping Beauty and The Jungle Book? Amazingly. Fricking. Detailed.

Don't forget Bambi. You can't mention classic Disney movies and their awesome forest/jungle backgrounds without a shout-out to Bambi.

What's even more amazing is that Those. Were. Done. By. Fucking. Hand. No computers were used in the making of those films. It's not just the forest and jungle scenes in Sleeping Beauty, The Jungle Book, or Bambi. Look at the background of Pinocchio, in the woodcarver's shop. It feels abso-fucking-lutely real. You could almost smell the sawdust and burnt wood whenever you were in the woodcarver's shop, along with the must.

Another great film from that time is The Old Mill, a Silly Symphonies short that has no dialogue, just music and a few natural sound effects (birds singing, frogs croaking, crickets chirping) to accompany most of the actions. The cartoon was used as an "experiment" with the motions and movements of nature, a way to test out certain animation theories later applied in movies like Bambi or The Lion King.
PRG

superglucose
hermaj's new favourite

Postby superglucose » Tue Dec 29, 2009 3:40 am UTC

Bugs Bunny, because its rythym perfectly follows the musical numbers.

vanfreakinhalen

Postby vanfreakinhalen » Tue Dec 29, 2009 4:50 am UTC

PatrickRsGhost wrote: What's even more amazing is that Those. Were. Done. By. Fucking. Hand.

I meant to include that in my original exclamation, but yeah. Seriously. Think of all the time and effort put into that shit. Ridiculous.
I love lamp.

Dustin

Postby Dustin » Mon Jan 04, 2010 5:56 am UTC

It's pretty low key because of the year it was made, but the film The Plague Dogs has the most beautifully done ending of any cartoon I've ever seen. The music, the artwork, and the acting are as good as I've ever seen it get, and more affecting than even the opening of UP.

Here's part one of the movie on youtube.com (I'm fairly sure this opening will hook you through to the end): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ostgqhDjIo
http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/531308
My little vision of the future

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:02 pm UTC

The Thief and the Cobbler. Look it up. If you can't stand to sit through the whole thing, just skip to the last fifteen minutes.

For some reason Tree of Palme sticks out in my mind more than anything by Myazaki, even though it was sorely, sorely lacking in plot.

thicknavyrain
ThinkGravyTrain

Postby thicknavyrain » Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:58 pm UTC

The Last of the Dashkin: An animation about 5 minutes long by former Disney animator Adam Phillips. Some of you might be acquainted with his former work in the "Brackenwood" series but this truly blows everything out of the water. Amazing animation, story telling, music composition, pacing, voice acting [Not his]. It's the start to a story but it's definitely one of the most beautiful I've seen. Give it a look, what have you got to lose in 5 minutes?
RoadieRich wrote:Thicknavyrain is appointed Nex Artifex, Author of Death of the second FaiD Assassins' Guild.

Uber_Apple

Postby Uber_Apple » Thu Jan 07, 2010 7:22 pm UTC

I dont have a BEST animation and i havent watched enough to make a proper decision but as of now i really liked:

Up
WALL-E
Spirited Away
Iron Giant

(more to come if i remember and can be bothered)

Zohar
COMMANDER PORN

Postby Zohar » Fri Jan 08, 2010 8:13 am UTC

This one was pretty good. It's called "Destino," it's a short movie Salvador Dali and Disney studios worked on together. They only storyboarded and didn't continue production because of monetary problems during WWII. In '99 Walt Disney's nephew found it and decided to produce it in full, based on the original storyboard.
Mighty Jalapeno: "See, Zohar agrees, and he's nice to people."
SecondTalon: "Still better looking than Jesus."

Not how I say my name

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:50 pm UTC

thicknavyrain wrote:The Last of the Dashkin: An animation about 5 minutes long by former Disney animator Adam Phillips. Some of you might be acquainted with his former work in the "Brackenwood" series but this truly blows everything out of the water. Amazing animation, story telling, music composition, pacing, voice acting [Not his]. It's the start to a story but it's definitely one of the most beautiful I've seen. Give it a look, what have you got to lose in 5 minutes?
Thanks for the heds-up; I missed that he had done something new.

Ebert recently lauded this thing called Sita Sings the Blues:
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 0642723357

PatrickRsGhost

Postby PatrickRsGhost » Sat Jan 09, 2010 6:32 pm UTC

A few screenshots I grabbed from Howl's Moving Castle. You can almost smell the breakfast cooking in one scene, so that one would qualify as both scenery porn and food porn. Also,

Spoiler:
BACON!

I am using one of them as a wallpaper on my desktop, and intend to convert all of them into jigsaw puzzles for a game I have.
PRG

jaap

Postby jaap » Sun Jan 10, 2010 1:52 pm UTC

The Third & The Seventh by Alex Roman, a CG short film.

ConMan
Shepherd's Pie?

Postby ConMan » Sun Jan 10, 2010 2:26 pm UTC

I'm tempted to say Ponyo, but I think Princess Mononoke probably has the more stunning visuals. WALL-E was also amazing.
pollywog wrote:
Wikihow wrote:* Smile a lot! Give a gay girl a knowing "Hey, I'm a lesbian too!" smile.
I want to learn this smile, perfect it, and then go around smiling at lesbians and freaking them out.

Return to “Movies and TV Shows”