Community

Rot your brains, then rot our boards

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

sugarhyped

Re: Community

Postby sugarhyped » Fri Sep 30, 2011 3:29 am UTC

I think the group would be a bit more worried about Chang tazing their friend and then carrying her away.

I would react the same as Abed in regards to Earth 2.0.
I wanted a signature. I don't know what to put here yet.

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Sun Oct 02, 2011 2:07 am UTC

People are actually making Inspector Spacetime canon... It's kind of awesome. The TARDIS is now the DARSIT (Dimensionally And Respectably Suitable Inspector Transport) and actors are being chosen as the eleven Inspectors.

Inspector Spacetime Confessions
TvTropes Page
Who/Spacetime fanfic
The Eleven Inspectors (Leslie French, Christopher Lee, Bernard Fox, Marius Goring, Lynda Bellingham, Graham Chapman, Stephen Fry, Steve Carrell, Mark Williams, Christopher Obi, and Travis Richey)

sugarhyped

Postby sugarhyped » Sun Oct 02, 2011 5:38 am UTC

Magnanimous wrote:People are actually making Inspector Spacetime canon... It's kind of awesome. The TARDIS is now the DARSIT (Dimensionally And Respectably Suitable Inspector Transport) and actors are being chosen as the eleven Inspectors.

The Eleven Inspectors (Leslie French, Christopher Lee, Bernard Fox, Marius Goring, Lynda Bellingham, Graham Chapman, Stephen Fry, Steve Carrell, Mark Williams, Christopher Obi, and Travis Richey)

I stopped watching when Steve Carrell was chosen as the next inspector...

EDIT: So as not to double post.

I really liked the housewarming party episode.
I literally laughed out loud when Troy went to get pizza. Favorite part of the episode easily...

Sprocket
Seymour

Community being Benched

Postby Sprocket » Wed Nov 23, 2011 5:24 pm UTC

http://www.save-community.com/
"We demand that NBC reverse its crazy decision to 'bench' Community. The show is the best one on TV and NBC should renew it immediately!"

Save Community posters
http://nymag.com/daily/entertainment/20 ... -exec.html
"She’s a free spirit, a wind-rider, she’s at one with nature, and walks with the kodama eidolons”
Zohar wrote: Down with the hipster binary! It's a SPECTRUM!

pseudoidiot
Sexy Beard Man

Postby pseudoidiot » Wed Nov 23, 2011 7:29 pm UTC

Derailed : Gaming Outside the Box.
SecondTalon wrote:*swoons* I love you, all powerful pseudoidiot!
ShootTheChicken wrote:I can't stop thinking about pseudoidiot's penis.

Sprocket
Seymour

Postby Sprocket » Thu Jan 05, 2012 5:32 pm UTC

It really bothers me that BBT and Community are opposite each other, while I don't watch TV on TV ever, and Community is clearly the better show, they definitely both draw in the Geek community... Unfortunately BBT draws in more "norms" too, but also deters more Geeks who are offended by the stereotyping, which I think is funny. It's creepy how Sheldon and Abed even dress alike, skinny pants, long cardigans, messenger bag. I just think these two could have some good crossover fun (if not literally, at least with their actors and such) if they weren't rivals. :-P Sheldon and Troy and Senor Chang were all in the new Muppets.
"She’s a free spirit, a wind-rider, she’s at one with nature, and walks with the kodama eidolons”

H.E.L.e.N.
Cheesy-tuna-bacon-pickle?

Postby H.E.L.e.N. » Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:27 pm UTC

I belieeeve BBT was moved to Community's timeslot a while back in an intentionally competitive move.

(I don't know what the actual timeslots are, as I just keep reading about TV on the internet. But the story definitely involved somebody being deliberately unhelpful.)

jillton

Postby jillton » Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:01 am UTC

Cannot get enough of Community.

I liked Pierce at the start, but I think they've gone beyond redeeming him in my book.

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned how crazy talented Troy/Donald Glover/Childish Gambino is. He's also my current imaginary celebrity boyfriend... For those of you who haven't heard his rap stuff http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otPxoVQiIGo some of the lyrics about sex n stuff are kinda lame but overall his stuff is very clever and self-referencing which I really like and also geeky n' stuff. LOVE. HIM!

I love the 6 seasons and a movie line they keep sprouting, and Annie is awesome, my brain nearly melted when Abed did the Don Draper line on her, I love it when TV references other TV, especially with some of the same actors.

I really really really really hope it doesn't get cancelled =/
"you get sloppy drunk, I stay whiskey neat"

Microscopic cog
in his catastrophic plan

Postby Microscopic cog » Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:53 am UTC

His latest album, Camp, is amazing. One of my favouritest albums of 2011. :D

On a similar not-news worthy note: I also really like the show.
Spoiler:
Interviewer: Some people say they can’t understand your writing even after they read it two or three times. What approach would you suggest for them?

William Faulkner: Read it four times.

jillton

Postby jillton » Mon Jan 16, 2012 7:05 pm UTC

Have any of you guys seen Nathan Fillion's posts on Twitter about Community??

And the picture he posted with Yvette Nicole Brown and Alison Brie?? If Nathan is on Community my head will explode.... Would be way better if it was also directed by Joss Whedon (Glee + Neil Patrick Harris + Joss Whedon was one of my favourite ever TV moments!).

On a more related note - does anybody know when Community starts back up????

H.E.L.e.N.

Postby H.E.L.e.N. » Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:59 am UTC

I don't think anybody currently knows when it will start back up...They're definitely filming the second half of the third season, but something on NBC's current schedule has to be canceled before there's a timeslot-reshuffle that will bring Community back (that is my understanding, at least). Network won't comment on when exactly because it would be awkward for them to bet on which shows will fail.

UniqueScreenname
Something something Purple. Stop asking.

Postby UniqueScreenname » Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:37 pm UTC

Well, I can give them some suggestions. I certainly don't need Whitney or Chelsea to be on, even though I used to be fans of both of them, but Community is much more worthy.
PolakoVoador wrote:Pizza is never a question, pizza is always the answer.
poxic wrote:When we're stuck, flailing, and afraid, that's usually when we're running into the limitations of our old ways of doing things. Something new is being born. Stick around and find out what it is.

jillton

Postby jillton » Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:51 pm UTC

Whitney Port of The Hills??
Does she have her own TV Show?
I would watch that...

sugarhyped

Postby sugarhyped » Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:03 am UTC

jillton wrote:Whitney Port of The Hills??
Does she have her own TV Show?
I would watch that...

No Whitney Cummings.
Sadly I know that Whitney Port did have her TV show called The City. So your welcome.

jillton

Postby jillton » Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:09 pm UTC

I saw it, it was awful.

She has so much potential. Why was she never picked up as a model? She's so beautiful.

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:42 am UTC

There's going to be an Inspector Spacetime web series! Not with Danny Pudi or Donald Glover, but still.

UniqueScreenname

Postby UniqueScreenname » Thu Mar 08, 2012 5:31 pm UTC

It's baaaaaaaack!
poxic wrote:When we're stuck, flailing, and afraid, that's usually when we're running into the limitations of our old ways of doing things. Something new is being born. Stick around and find out what it is.

clockworkmonk
I'm on a horse!

Postby clockworkmonk » Thu Mar 08, 2012 5:42 pm UTC

well sort of. soonish. like next thrusday.
418 I'm a teapot

UniqueScreenname

Postby UniqueScreenname » Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:47 pm UTC

At least we have a date now.

UniqueScreenname

Postby UniqueScreenname » Fri Mar 16, 2012 2:38 pm UTC

Spoiler:
I think "normal" Abed and Troy are weirder than the Abed and Troy we always see. There's just something about exaggerating normality that results in ludicrousness. Ludicrousness? It really seems like it should be ludicrosity.

dubsola

Postby dubsola » Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:59 am UTC

Sprocket
Seymour

Postby Sprocket » Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:52 pm UTC

Oh man, the most recent episode was awesome. Though they could have punched the
Spoiler:
Ken Burns Civil War
button a bit harder.

Sprocket
Seymour

Postby Sprocket » Sat Apr 21, 2012 5:01 am UTC

I think one of the things that keeps me so into this show is how I feel like so often, whatever psychology they're focusing on, it's about me and the things I go through. And I think other people probably feel that way too.

Sprocket
Seymour

Postby Sprocket » Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:41 pm UTC

I didn't love the last episode, I feel like Abed's always been entirely self-sufficient, capable of living, etc. this half of this season seems to be out to make Abed less functional, which I feel basically contradicts who he's been up until now.

sugarhyped

Postby sugarhyped » Thu Apr 26, 2012 1:04 am UTC

Sprocket wrote:I didn't love the last episode, I feel like Abed's always been entirely self-sufficient, capable of living, etc. this half of this season seems to be out to make Abed less functional, which I feel basically contradicts who he's been up until now.

I don't know. I understand that people shouldn't need to and haven't needed to babysit him as much as it seemed in this episode, but the episode where Britta pays for his film class made him seem unable to take care of himself.
Granted that was because he intended that to get a rise out of Britta so I have changed my mind mid post and am agreeing with you.

I do hope the empathy thing makes him less of a dick like with the whole pillow fort and impersonator things.

I did like getting to see them in the dreamatorium.

EDIT: I enjoyed tonights lawyer episode. Theme episodes like this are what I like about community. Plus their simpsons'esque side-characters.
Last edited by sugarhyped on Sat Apr 28, 2012 2:54 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

ArgonV

Postby ArgonV » Fri Apr 27, 2012 5:36 pm UTC

Yeah, I liked the Law and Order(?) spoof.
But does this mean
Spoiler:
AlexStarburns is dead? Never liked the character that much, but it's kinda unceremonious.

H.E.L.e.N.

Postby H.E.L.e.N. » Sat Apr 28, 2012 12:42 am UTC

Sprocket wrote:I didn't love the last episode, I feel like Abed's always been entirely self-sufficient, capable of living, etc. this half of this season seems to be out to make Abed less functional, which I feel basically contradicts who he's been up until now.

I was really conflicted about this. Not so much about the drop in self-sufficiency, but about them playing his issues for laughs (when Annie messed with the Dreamatorium engine and Abed squeals and collapses, I was near-yelling-at-the-TV "I think we just crossed a line!"). At the same time, dude is stressed out and retreating back into fantasy. I spent like half a day reading the episode's TVClub thread where there are plenty of people who argue that this *is* reflective of their experience, that functionality in Asperger's/autism-spectrum people varies a lot, and also that Living With Other People can be really difficult, so it makes sense that cohabitation-Abed has weirder behaviors than school-Abed. I'm still a sorta conflicted and need to see where it goes, but I can see the other side of things. (Also important that he basically functioned previously by being emotionally unavailable, and now that he's emotionally available, it's Complicated. I relate to that.)

I enjoyed most of Virtual Systems Analysis because of what it revealed about Annie's feelings re: Annie/Jeff (which I have never loved), and gave Annie/Abed some potential. Oh and because medical soaps are ridiculous. And I want a holodeck. And there were terribly subtle moments of the cast doing impersonations of each other.

dubsola

Postby dubsola » Sat Apr 28, 2012 5:39 pm UTC

At first, I felt a little "I think we just crossed a line!"-ish. But on rewatching (yes, I have a habit of rewatching shows I really like), it looks a little like Abed chose to squeal and collapse. Like, he's upset that Annie is messing with his stuff and wants to teach her a lesson. And when Annie tells him he's being scary-weird he gets up and starts talking to her again. But he's still annoyed, so he pretends he's not Abed, and Annie still has to stay within the constraints of the Dreamatorium.

I enjoyed most of Virtual Systems Analysis because of what it revealed about Annie's feelings re: Annie/Jeff (which I have never loved), and gave Annie/Abed some potential. Oh and because medical soaps are ridiculous. And I want a holodeck. And there were terribly subtle moments of the cast doing impersonations of each other.

I loved the impersonations too. I am amazed how well the show presented them as two people navigating emotionally rocky seas by using their imagination to work out what the heck was going on with themselves and the others. And Abed in the locker was so sad but the way Annie freed him was really, really sweet.

sugarhyped

Postby sugarhyped » Fri May 04, 2012 2:53 am UTC

I thought the episode was really good. The entire group going through the 5 stages of grief. I think Annie's was my favorite riot inciting speech, followed by Pierce. I like that the ep is to-be-continued.

What I didn't care for is them saying the timeline they were in was the one where Jeff didn't roll the dice. It doesn't seem right especially since that was the one timeline where Pierce didn't talk about being in the Mile High club. (Later referenced when the group is annoying their Bio teacher). I need to re-watch remedial chaos theory, but I assumed the real timeline was either Britta and Troy get along or Shirley knows Britta smokes pot (because Shirley later refers to Britta's lighter as what Britta uses to get high; I don't remember the actual quote.)

H.E.L.e.N.

Postby H.E.L.e.N. » Mon May 07, 2012 6:17 pm UTC

I'm pretty sure the no-diceroll timeline had been previously established as the Prime Timeline. Everybody groans when Pierce brings up the Eartha Kitt story, indicating that they've heard it before. Shirley's reference to Britta's "marijuana lighter" was actually in the episode *before* Remedial Chaos theory (the group knows each other well enough to know Britta's a stoner, probably.)

I think all the reference is doing is setting us up for some flash-forward (maybe a dreamatorium flash-forward) about all the ridiculous things that could happen to the characters if they made Different Choices.

sugarhyped

Postby sugarhyped » Tue May 08, 2012 12:58 am UTC

H.E.L.e.N. wrote:I'm pretty sure the no-diceroll timeline had been previously established as the Prime Timeline. Everybody groans when Pierce brings up the Eartha Kitt story, indicating that they've heard it before. Shirley's reference to Britta's "marijuana lighter" was actually in the episode *before* Remedial Chaos theory (the group knows each other well enough to know Britta's a stoner, probably.)

I think all the reference is doing is setting us up for some flash-forward (maybe a dreamatorium flash-forward) about all the ridiculous things that could happen to the characters if they made Different Choices.

Those 2 episodes were supposedly aired out of order..

I assumed it was the one where Abed got the pizza, but I suppose I was wrong.

I think everyone was grossed out by the Eartha Kitt story not necessarily tired of it.

H.E.L.e.N.

Postby H.E.L.e.N. » Tue May 08, 2012 2:24 am UTC

There was a swap, but it was Word of God'd away as something Shirley probably woulda known. Also in that link, show-creator declares Abed catching the die as the "real" timeline.

(I don't want to be a jerk about it I just really really like talking about Farscape Community)

sugarhyped

Postby sugarhyped » Tue May 08, 2012 2:59 am UTC

Fair enough, thanks for the link. Seems a lot of other people thought it was Abed's timeline as well, especially given how shocked Shirley was in the Abed timeline.

cephalopod9

Postby cephalopod9 » Sat May 19, 2012 6:06 am UTC

Why am I three episodes behind?

Aah! Gustavo Fring! AAaah!!!
This game looks awesome.

Princess Marzipan

Postby Princess Marzipan » Sat May 19, 2012 8:57 am UTC

Spoiler:
Britta was wrong.

This is a real life spoiler; turns out, they do exist.

Community season 4 sucks.
"It's Saturday night. I've got no date, a two-liter of Shasta, and my all-Rush mixtape. Let's rock!"
"I am just about to be brilliant!"
General_Norris, on feminism, wrote:If you lose your six Pokémon, you lost.

pseudoidiot
Sexy Beard Man

Postby pseudoidiot » Sat May 19, 2012 2:50 pm UTC

Derailed : Gaming Outside the Box.
SecondTalon wrote:*swoons* I love you, all powerful pseudoidiot!
ShootTheChicken wrote:I can't stop thinking about pseudoidiot's penis.

Princess Marzipan

Postby Princess Marzipan » Sun May 20, 2012 12:56 am UTC

Digital Estate Planning
Spoiler:
The last four items visible from Hilda's list when Abed initially explores her menu?

bubble attack
leaf attack
time stop attack
metal blade attack

This is a blatant Mega Man 2 reference and I LOVE IT SO MUCH

Edit: The textual representation of the agreement presented to Gilbert is not a waiver of any genetic claim; it's the text of the Three Fifths Compromise. PIERCE'S DAD, Y U SO RACIST
"It's Saturday night. I've got no date, a two-liter of Shasta, and my all-Rush mixtape. Let's rock!"

UniqueScreenname

Postby UniqueScreenname » Mon May 21, 2012 4:04 am UTC

Princess Marzipan wrote:Digital Estate Planning
Spoiler:
it's the text of the Three Fifths Compromise. PIERCE'S DAD, Y U SO RACIST

Did you really just know that off the top of your head?

Princess Marzipan

Postby Princess Marzipan » Mon May 21, 2012 6:05 am UTC

UniqueScreenname wrote:
Princess Marzipan wrote:Digital Estate Planning
Spoiler:
it's the text of the Three Fifths Compromise. PIERCE'S DAD, Y U SO RACIST

Did you really just know that off the top of your head?
Spoiler:
I don't have the text memorized, no, but I know it when I see it.

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Mon May 21, 2012 11:00 am UTC

The finale was fantastic, of course. I love how they wove so many plotlines together over the last three episodes.
Spoiler:
I was a little skeptical about Troy joining the AC repair thing, but it turned out awesome.

"Gentlemen, take this man to the infinite labyrinth of eternal ice!" "No! Take him to the police. He murdered someone... Take him to jail. You guys are weird."

Return to “Movies and TV Shows”