Iron Man 2

Rot your brains, then rot our boards

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Hit3k
Posts: 1156
Joined: Sun Apr 22, 2007 9:12 am UTC
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Contact:

Iron Man 2

Postby Hit3k » Thu Apr 29, 2010 4:01 am UTC

So I saw Iron Man 2 today. Overall I was pretty happy with the plot and the way it played out. There were a few somewhat subtle hints towards Captain America and a not-so-subtle nod at the Avengers movie.

But there was one thing I want to discuss:
Spoiler:
HE BUILT A FUCKING PARTICLE ACCELERATOR IN HIS FUCKING BASEMENT? He may be a billionaire genius but seriously? In his basement? He then proceeded to redirect the beam OUT of the accelerator and into a triangle casing to synthesize a new element? Ridiculous.

What did you guys think?
Sungura wrote:My mom made me watch a star wars. Two of them , actually. The Death Star one and the one where the dude ends up in the swamp with the weird guy who talks funny.

User avatar
Zohar
COMMANDER PORN
Posts: 8515
Joined: Fri Apr 27, 2007 8:45 pm UTC
Location: Denver

Re: Iron Man 2

Postby Zohar » Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:36 pm UTC

I'm going to see it tonight, I hope it'll be good!
Mighty Jalapeno: "See, Zohar agrees, and he's nice to people."
SecondTalon: "Still better looking than Jesus."

Not how I say my name

Fume Troll
Posts: 254
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:06 am UTC
Location: Scotland / Norway mainly

Re: Iron Man 2

Postby Fume Troll » Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:03 pm UTC

Hit3k wrote:But there was one thing I want to discuss:
Spoiler:
HE BUILT A FUCKING PARTICLE ACCELERATOR IN HIS FUCKING BASEMENT? He may be a billionaire genius but seriously? In his basement?



Spoiler:
I think I suspended that sense of disbelief when he built what appeared to be a fusion reactor out of junk in a cave... I think that's probably even less likely.

User avatar
Toeofdoom
The (Male) Skeleton Guitarist
Posts: 3446
Joined: Wed Jan 10, 2007 10:06 am UTC
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Contact:

Re: Iron Man 2

Postby Toeofdoom » Thu Apr 29, 2010 4:34 pm UTC

I, too, tried to apply science to a comic book movie. I soon gave up.
Hawknc wrote:Gotta love our political choices here - you can pick the unionised socially conservative party, or the free-market even more socially conservative party. Oh who to vote for…I don't know, I think I'll just flip a coin and hope it explodes and kills me.

Website

User avatar
mosc
Doesn't care what you think.
Posts: 5401
Joined: Fri May 11, 2007 3:03 pm UTC

Re: Iron Man 2

Postby mosc » Thu Apr 29, 2010 5:16 pm UTC

I thought it didn't come out for a couple weeks?
Title: It was given by the XKCD moderators to me because they didn't care what I thought (I made some rantings, etc). I care what YOU think, the joke is forums.xkcd doesn't care what I think.

User avatar
SecondTalon
SexyTalon
Posts: 26510
Joined: Sat May 05, 2007 2:10 pm UTC
Location: Louisville, Kentucky, USA, Mars. HA!
Contact:

Re: Iron Man 2

Postby SecondTalon » Thu Apr 29, 2010 6:33 pm UTC

Contrary to popular belief, not all countries are America.

Also, (and holy crap this is not an invitation for any further discussion on the subject) piracy. It happens.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

User avatar
keozen
The Bearded FaiD Batman
Posts: 1497
Joined: Wed Aug 01, 2007 6:31 am UTC
Location: Yorkshire, UK
Contact:

Re: Iron Man 2

Postby keozen » Fri Apr 30, 2010 9:18 am UTC

O_o we get a film over a week before the US?!?!?! Wow! Awesome.

I'm off to see it tonight. A bunch of my friends saw it in preview showings last night and loved it. These guys are usually very good guides as to if a film is actually good or not so I'm excited now.

(I'd have gone to the previews too but I had rehearsals last night :( )
Image

User avatar
Zamfir
I built a novelty castle, the irony was lost on some.
Posts: 7588
Joined: Wed Aug 27, 2008 2:43 pm UTC
Location: Nederland

Re: Iron Man 2

Postby Zamfir » Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:29 am UTC

Fume Troll wrote:
Hit3k wrote:But there was one thing I want to discuss:
Spoiler:
HE BUILT A FUCKING PARTICLE ACCELERATOR IN HIS FUCKING BASEMENT? He may be a billionaire genius but seriously? In his basement?



Spoiler:
I think I suspended that sense of disbelief when he built what appeared to be a fusion reactor out of junk in a cave... I think that's probably even less likely.

Spoiler:
http://www.wired.com/politics/law/news/2005/12/69726 I think this is actually more common than the article suggests. This guy is installing a second-hand medical cyclotron in his basement, but I think I have even read of people who built sort-of powerful accelerators themselves.

User avatar
Zohar
COMMANDER PORN
Posts: 8515
Joined: Fri Apr 27, 2007 8:45 pm UTC
Location: Denver

Re: Iron Man 2

Postby Zohar » Fri Apr 30, 2010 12:53 pm UTC

I saw it yesterday. It was lots of fun. Story and villain weren't so great but Downey Jr., Gweneth Paltrow (sp?) and Johanson (sp?) were pretty good - I didn't even realize who Johanson is until the last minute. There's about a minute of footage after the credits end and it's quite cool, so you should stick around.

Also, yeah, the science was incredibly fucked up, but what did you expect? They even toned it down from the comics. I mean, if I remember correctly, there's a part in the comics were Nick Fury (minor spoiler)
Spoiler:
teleports
, so I wasn't too bugged by the movie's unrealistic technology.
Mighty Jalapeno: "See, Zohar agrees, and he's nice to people."
SecondTalon: "Still better looking than Jesus."

Not how I say my name

User avatar
mosc
Doesn't care what you think.
Posts: 5401
Joined: Fri May 11, 2007 3:03 pm UTC

Re: Iron Man 2

Postby mosc » Fri Apr 30, 2010 2:43 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:Contrary to popular belief, not all countries are America.

Also, (and holy crap this is not an invitation for any further discussion on the subject) piracy. It happens.

It's not that I didn't know that there were other countries, I just didn't think paramount gave a shit about you.
Title: It was given by the XKCD moderators to me because they didn't care what I thought (I made some rantings, etc). I care what YOU think, the joke is forums.xkcd doesn't care what I think.

User avatar
keozen
The Bearded FaiD Batman
Posts: 1497
Joined: Wed Aug 01, 2007 6:31 am UTC
Location: Yorkshire, UK
Contact:

Re: Iron Man 2

Postby keozen » Sat May 01, 2010 3:15 pm UTC

Saw it last night and WOO! Loved it.

Make sure you sit until after the credits for the extra scene, it's very short but worth it if you're a Marvel Fan :)
Image

User avatar
-.Mateo.-
Posts: 264
Joined: Sun Jun 28, 2009 12:01 am UTC
Location: Location Location

Re: Iron Man 2

Postby -.Mateo.- » Sun May 02, 2010 4:51 pm UTC

So, I saw it in Spanish, which kinda sucked (I am from a Spanish speaking country, but I like hearing the original voices), and I have this one vocabulary doubt:
Spoiler:
They call the robots "hammer droides", which in English would be "hammer droids", which in my opinion sounds a lot like "hemorrhoids"


Also, About the whole "Avengers" thing:
Spoiler:
There has been no reference so far to Hank Pym, and although he's not exactly my favorite character, he IS a founding member of the avengers...
Also, I've heard that Loki would appear in the movie and Hulk would be the bad guy, which sounds a lot like the original Avengers founding...except there was no Captain America there, he was still frozen.

Finally, Joss Whedon. Fuck Yeah
Magus wrote:If history is to change, let it change. If the world is to be destroyed, so be it. If my fate is to die, I must simply laugh.

Just as you touch the energy of every life form you meet, so, too, will will their energy strengthen you.

User avatar
GraphiteGirl
Alpha Male
Posts: 1531
Joined: Sat Mar 28, 2009 3:45 pm UTC
Location: South-East Snakeville

Re: Iron Man 2

Postby GraphiteGirl » Mon May 03, 2010 1:22 am UTC

-.Mateo.- wrote:So, I saw it in Spanish, which kinda sucked (I am from a Spanish speaking country, but I like hearing the original voices), and I have this one vocabulary doubt:
Spoiler:
They call the robots "hammer droides", which in English would be "hammer droids", which in my opinion sounds a lot like "hemorrhoids"

They do pun on that at one point.
Spoiler:
Stark says he's having a 'hammer droid problem'. The audience snorted.


I know, or at least assume, that the movie wanted me to be on Tony Stark's side, but
Spoiler:
at the end of the film, I still sort of wished Rhodes had been put entirely in charge of the operation of the suit. After Stark's behaviour at the birthday party, I just found it really hard to trust him with the responsibility of that suit - what if he has another huge emotional event, like Pepper dumping him, and 'acts out' again?
Sandry wrote:Man, my commitment to sparkle motion is waaaaay lower than you are intimating.

User avatar
LE4dGOLEM
is unique......wait, no!!!!
Posts: 5972
Joined: Thu Oct 12, 2006 7:10 pm UTC
Location: :uoıʇɐɔol

Re: Iron Man 2

Postby LE4dGOLEM » Mon May 03, 2010 7:36 pm UTC

(spoilers bg-colored out)
Just saw it today. It is a very good movie, actiony to a good extent (except for maybe the bit towards the end with the HURR KUNG-FU CATSUIT GURL which went on for a bit long, and funny to a good extent as well. and I went "huh. huh." in a silent cinema at cap's shield as though I was the only one who realised what was on screen (or at least the only one who didn't know it was coming already). I really liked it.
Image Une See Fights - crayon super-ish hero webcomic!
doogly wrote:It would just be much better if it were not shitty.

User avatar
Weeks
Hey Baby, wanna make a fortnight?
Posts: 2023
Joined: Sat Aug 23, 2008 12:41 am UTC
Location: Ciudad de Panamá, Panamá

Re: Iron Man 2

Postby Weeks » Wed May 05, 2010 11:40 pm UTC

Spoiler:
I...didn't realize that was Cap's shield.


Anyway, I think it was good...It had good action. Awesome special effects. An awesome 3D GUI which I went crazy about. I loved the villain's weapon too. But I think not having seen Iron Man (1) made me not get too "connected" with the film. On the other hand, watching it in reverse order is gonna be awesome, since I've heard the first one was epic.

And, why did they release it in other countries first? USA gets it this Friday (except for California).
TaintedDeity wrote:Tainted Deity
suffer-cait wrote:One day I'm gun a go visit weeks and discover they're just a computer in a trashcan at an ice cream shop.
Dthen wrote:FUCK CHRISTMAS FUCK EVERYTHING FUCK YOU TOO FUCK OFF

hughbert
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue May 04, 2010 12:02 am UTC

Re: Iron Man 2

Postby hughbert » Thu May 06, 2010 9:18 am UTC

Saw it a couple of days ago, loved it. Not gonna talk about the science because I'm happy to suspend my cynicism for a fun action film (plus if I start to pick one hole then there's always a load more).

But I did pick up on the nerdiest thing I think I've ever thought of...
Spoiler:
when he synthesizes the new element, its in the shape of an upside-down triangle - the symbol nabla, which in unsteady fluid dynamics is used for the flux terms. His new reactor is powered by 'flux'... anybody else thinking flux capacitor?! I really hope some massive nerd did the design for that, but I think its probably just me.

User avatar
mister k
Posts: 643
Joined: Sun Aug 27, 2006 11:28 pm UTC
Contact:

Re: Iron Man 2

Postby mister k » Thu May 06, 2010 1:45 pm UTC

Zamfir wrote:
Fume Troll wrote:
Hit3k wrote:But there was one thing I want to discuss:
Spoiler:
HE BUILT A FUCKING PARTICLE ACCELERATOR IN HIS FUCKING BASEMENT? He may be a billionaire genius but seriously? In his basement?



Spoiler:
I think I suspended that sense of disbelief when he built what appeared to be a fusion reactor out of junk in a cave... I think that's probably even less likely.

Spoiler:
http://www.wired.com/politics/law/news/2005/12/69726 I think this is actually more common than the article suggests. This guy is installing a second-hand medical cyclotron in his basement, but I think I have even read of people who built sort-of powerful accelerators themselves.

Spoiler:
technically, technically, its called a prism accelerator in the film. No, theres no indication as to what that is. Presumably it accelerates prisms to near the speed of light...

Observations:
1.Can people please stop flipping up their flace plates. When whiplash attacks Stark for the first time, I couldn't help think that someone with a gun would have been far more more efficient...
2.Style over sense sometimes went off. The drones land one by one around Stark and Rhodes. They patiently wait until every single one lands, then fight. I reckon the drones would've looked pretty stupid if the pair hadn't, I dunno, flown away
3. If I put a self destruct button in all my robots, I probably won't mention it to the guy its going to kill, nor program in a big bleepy thing first
4.Apparently Hammer never even watched Lash for longer than a couple of minutes? I guess that fits the character...


Those things ignored, I really liked it- actually thought it worked better than the previous film, where the motives of the bad guy in the original were just appallingly stupid. Admittedly Robert Downey Jr was the best thing. I wonder when someone's finally going to write a script that is "Robert Downey Jr chats to people, and the audience laughs" and nothing else.
Elvish Pillager wrote:you're basically a daytime-miller: you always come up as guilty to scumdar.

User avatar
SecondTalon
SexyTalon
Posts: 26510
Joined: Sat May 05, 2007 2:10 pm UTC
Location: Louisville, Kentucky, USA, Mars. HA!
Contact:

Re: Iron Man 2

Postby SecondTalon » Thu May 06, 2010 3:54 pm UTC

I thought that's what Iron Man 1 was. "Come watch Robert Downey Jr. Be Smug and Snarky for 126 minutes. Also, Jeff Bridges Overacts And It's Totally Awesome. And Robot Suits"
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

User avatar
Josephine
Posts: 2142
Joined: Wed Apr 08, 2009 5:53 am UTC

Re: Iron Man 2

Postby Josephine » Thu May 06, 2010 4:34 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:I thought that's what Iron Man 1 was. "Come watch Robert Downey Jr. Be Smug and Snarky for 126 minutes. Also, Jeff Bridges Overacts And It's Totally Awesome. And Robot Suits"

Yes, but MORE robot suits!
Belial wrote:Listen, what I'm saying is that he committed a felony with a zoo animal.

User avatar
lu6cifer
Posts: 230
Joined: Fri Mar 20, 2009 4:03 am UTC
Location: That state with the all-important stone

Re: Iron Man 2

Postby lu6cifer » Sat May 08, 2010 12:27 am UTC

I thought it was kind of weird/funny/nonsensical when Hammer

Spoiler:
Stole Vanko's shoes and pillows and bird...
lu6cifer wrote:"Derive" in place of "differentiate" is even worse.

doogly wrote:I'm partial to "throw some d's on that bitch."

User avatar
animeHrmIne
Posts: 509
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 4:33 pm UTC
Location: Missouri, USA, Sol III

Re: Iron Man 2

Postby animeHrmIne » Sat May 08, 2010 1:24 am UTC

Yeah, my friend and I were talking about the pauses in action (like when Tony suited up from the briefcase, or when all the drones land around him and Rhodey). It's an excepted break from reality in action movies. It might not be realistic, but it looks fucking awesome, and that's the whole point.
I wanted to see the universe, so I stole a Time Lord and ran away. And you were the only one mad enough.
Biting's excellent! It's like kissing, only there's a winner.
-Sexy

MikeBabaguh
Posts: 299
Joined: Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:21 pm UTC

Re: Iron Man 2

Postby MikeBabaguh » Sat May 08, 2010 5:49 am UTC

I love living in L.A.

I saw a midnight show at the Hollywood Arclight theater and none other than Robert Downey, Jr. and Jon Favreau showed up to introduce the film. Downey babbled a bit and Favreau said they saw the first film at that theater and were superstitious about having another success.

As for the film, I thought it stretched believability more than a few times, yet it wasn't enough for me to give it a thumbs-down. Johansson's character is mostly useless (and mostly eye candy, which is an odd role for her) and Stark has incredible mood swings and ridiculous technology. As a whole it's fun stuff, though.
Pursue happiness, with diligence.

User avatar
Malice
Posts: 3894
Joined: Sat Jul 21, 2007 5:37 am UTC
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Contact:

Re: Iron Man 2

Postby Malice » Sat May 08, 2010 6:43 am UTC

MikeBabaguh wrote:I love living in L.A.


Agreed. I too saw them at Arclight the other night. A great midpoint of a wonderful night (double feature of both Iron Man movies).

I thought the sequel wasn't as good as the first one--it was less coherent, and it had a habit of completely ignoring the implications of its ideas (unlike the first one, where the punching happens because of moral/political decisions the characters make or wish others to make). On the other hand, it was still immensely entertaining. The acting was uniformly terrific*, particularly Sam Rockwell as a hilariously inept Stark wanna-be.

Spoiler:
I thought the whips ended up being kind of ridiculous, though. Whenever Whiplash was attacking Iron Man with them, I was like, "Uh... so?" They looked all zappy, but they couldn't cut through the armor (no severed limbs in a PG-13 movie, I guess), and they didn't seem to be hurting Tony (the way he seems "hurt" when Iron Man gets punched or thrown into a wall), so at best the whips were a) slowing him down and b) destroying the paint job. Really sucked a lot of the tension out of the fight.


*Except for Cheadle, who simply isn't right for the role--he's too strong of a character. Terence Howard in the first one was a straight arrow who let Tony push him around... Cheadle felt too independent for that. So when he stood up against Tony at the party, it didn't feel like a momentous occasion for the character; it just felt expected.
Image

User avatar
Izawwlgood
WINNING
Posts: 18686
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:55 pm UTC
Location: There may be lovelier lovelies...

Re: Iron Man 2

Postby Izawwlgood » Sat May 08, 2010 7:25 am UTC

Huge improvement over Iron Man 1... Although, it dragged on at times. The part where he
Spoiler:
discovers the new element that will function as a palladium surrogate by looking at the atom his father sketched out... feh...

but otherwise, good fun. Robot violence is always neat.

No real moral issue in this one. The first, albeit a creation story, showed Stark realizing the error of his way and dedicating himself to being Iron Man. This one, however, just sort of showed him trying to live up to his fathers legacy, and... not much else. Big chunks felt just filler-esque.

I LOVED seeing him walk through his holographic displays and figuring stuff out. Tony Stark is a genius, a brilliant inventor and scientific mastermind; SHOW US THAT MOAR.

All in all it was so-so. Hopefully Iron Man 3 will be better.

Props to Micky Roark by the way, for being really creepy.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

User avatar
Malice
Posts: 3894
Joined: Sat Jul 21, 2007 5:37 am UTC
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Contact:

Re: Iron Man 2

Postby Malice » Sat May 08, 2010 6:21 pm UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:I LOVED seeing him walk through his holographic displays and figuring stuff out. Tony Stark is a genius, a brilliant inventor and scientific mastermind; SHOW US THAT MOAR.


By far the most entertaining parts of these movies are the engineering montages. The boxing robots are a distant third, after Stark saying funny things. They need to adjust their content accordingly.

I would totally watch a half hour "reality" show which is just a guy inventing, building, and testing science fiction devices.
Image

User avatar
Fat Zombie
Posts: 588
Joined: Wed Jun 06, 2007 10:28 am UTC
Location: The comfy chair.

Re: Iron Man 2

Postby Fat Zombie » Sun May 09, 2010 12:08 am UTC

mister k wrote:
Spoiler:
Observations:
...
3. If I put a self destruct button in all my robots, I probably won't mention it to the guy its going to kill, nor program in a big bleepy thing first


Spoiler:
On that: to be fair, it was a last resort thing. Plus, I imagine Whiplash probably did it for the Oh Crap factor, which you probably wouldn't get by instant self-destruct. He probably could have reduced the timer a bit, though. Five seconds would have been adequate, methinks.

Also: the fight between Warmachine and Iron Man in the house. When they were boxing, I was half-expecting one of their heads to suddenly pop up on a giant spring.

Also Also: did anyone notice the repeated references to belgian waffles?
...And before you ask: yes, I do like to listen to myself talk!

Technical Ben
Posts: 2986
Joined: Tue May 27, 2008 10:42 pm UTC

Re: Iron Man 2

Postby Technical Ben » Sun May 09, 2010 1:24 pm UTC

Great fun. It has it's failings, but I overlooked most of them.
The only part that made me loose the suspension of "disbelief" was the
Spoiler:
suitcase armour
. It just needed to be a lager one. I can write off most Sci-fi in my head as just being technologically advance, even if it's impossible or daft. However, when you don't pay attention to the size of your own equipment, it's a big mistake. That's before I noticed missiles appearing out of nowhere. Are they folded into his shoulder. :shock:

The fight with War Machine was probably the best bit. Hope there is more of that, and less of the muddle in between in the third instalment.
It's all physics and stamp collecting.
It's not a particle or a wave. It's just an exchange.

User avatar
Fat Zombie
Posts: 588
Joined: Wed Jun 06, 2007 10:28 am UTC
Location: The comfy chair.

Re: Iron Man 2

Postby Fat Zombie » Sun May 09, 2010 4:23 pm UTC

I think the suitcase was running off Rule of Cool than any particular realism.
...And before you ask: yes, I do like to listen to myself talk!

User avatar
animeHrmIne
Posts: 509
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 4:33 pm UTC
Location: Missouri, USA, Sol III

Re: Iron Man 2

Postby animeHrmIne » Sun May 09, 2010 6:05 pm UTC

Fat Zombie wrote:I think the suitcase was running off Rule of Cool than any particular realism.

Exactly! This is a superhero movie. Not only do you have to ignore the science, sometimes you just have to give into your instincts and go "Holy fuck that was awesome!"

Not to say that discussion is bad, I just think that a lot of what the movie makers did was based on initial gut reaction of most of it's audience, which is kind of smart, considering that most of it's audience will probably leave the theater texting it's friends about the awesome movie and that some parts were odd but "you HAVE to see it."

And then those people get home and get online to talk about the movie and realize that some of it dragged a bit, and some of it didn't make sense. And they get that second feeling of joy, they fun of tearing down the movie and complaining about how it dosen't work.

Or maybe I'm crazy. Probably I'm crazy. 0,o
I wanted to see the universe, so I stole a Time Lord and ran away. And you were the only one mad enough.
Biting's excellent! It's like kissing, only there's a winner.
-Sexy

Technical Ben
Posts: 2986
Joined: Tue May 27, 2008 10:42 pm UTC

Re: Iron Man 2

Postby Technical Ben » Sun May 09, 2010 8:08 pm UTC

Don't get me wrong. It was cool to see it unfold. They did it great. Just the geek in my wanted to see it the size of a suit case, and unfold like a transformer. :D
It's all physics and stamp collecting.
It's not a particle or a wave. It's just an exchange.

User avatar
Josephine
Posts: 2142
Joined: Wed Apr 08, 2009 5:53 am UTC

Re: Iron Man 2

Postby Josephine » Mon May 10, 2010 9:28 am UTC

I explain away all sci-fi conservation of mass violations with "nanotechnology built it out of either compressed CO in canisters or in the air". It doesn't work perfectly, but it keeps me watching.
Belial wrote:Listen, what I'm saying is that he committed a felony with a zoo animal.

User avatar
GraphiteGirl
Alpha Male
Posts: 1531
Joined: Sat Mar 28, 2009 3:45 pm UTC
Location: South-East Snakeville

Re: Iron Man 2

Postby GraphiteGirl » Mon May 10, 2010 9:42 am UTC

nbonaparte wrote:I explain away all sci-fi conservation of mass violations with "nanotechnology built it out of either compressed CO in canisters or in the air". It doesn't work perfectly, but it keeps me watching.

I like to pretend it has something to do with the 'Z-space' concept from Animorphs.
Sandry wrote:Man, my commitment to sparkle motion is waaaaay lower than you are intimating.

User avatar
Josephine
Posts: 2142
Joined: Wed Apr 08, 2009 5:53 am UTC

Re: Iron Man 2

Postby Josephine » Mon May 10, 2010 11:06 am UTC

GraphiteGirl wrote:I like to pretend it has something to do with the 'Z-space' concept from Animorphs.

I forgot about z-space. That was a great concept.
Belial wrote:Listen, what I'm saying is that he committed a felony with a zoo animal.

Lounge
Posts: 70
Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2008 5:05 am UTC

Re: Iron Man 2

Postby Lounge » Mon May 10, 2010 2:05 pm UTC

I was... very disappointed in this. The majority of the movie felt like there wasn't even a plot attached to it at all. Nothing ever really developed, it was just kind of thrown at you. Then they tried to make it seem like they were planning something with all of it but it was just forced and tied together loosely.
Dibley wrote:"This plot makes no sense! That's not really a lion, it's a guy in a lion suit!"

Chen
Posts: 5571
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2008 6:53 pm UTC
Location: Montreal

Re: Iron Man 2

Postby Chen » Mon May 10, 2010 3:18 pm UTC

Lounge wrote:I was... very disappointed in this. The majority of the movie felt like there wasn't even a plot attached to it at all. Nothing ever really developed, it was just kind of thrown at you. Then they tried to make it seem like they were planning something with all of it but it was just forced and tied together loosely.


Spoiler:
Plot seemed fairly coherent to me. There was Stark dealing with his dying and being a general jackass. There was Vanko's revenge plot. And there was the whole Hammer/US govt wanting the Iron man suit. Stark dealt with his dying plot on his own. He then beat the bad guy to tie up the revenge plot. The Govt keeping a suit part of the plot was left open for next time, when War Machine flew off.

I mean it wasn't a deep plot or anything, but it went from A to B fairly normally

User avatar
Malice
Posts: 3894
Joined: Sat Jul 21, 2007 5:37 am UTC
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Contact:

Re: Iron Man 2

Postby Malice » Mon May 10, 2010 5:48 pm UTC

But they kept bringing things up and then not following through.
Spoiler:
Whiplash's father was treated unfairly by Stark's father--but their battle never acknowledged this, and Tony never reacted to it, with guilt or any other response. They just ignored it.
The same goes for the post-battle interrogation, where Whiplash tells Tony, "You lose," with the implication that Tony's public vulnerability will lead to the public turning on him. It does have the effect of making the government want to take his suits even more... and then Rhodes steals one, and the government forgets all about the others.
Then there was the whole "Shield helps him cure himself" thing...


Ultimately I don't think the issue was a lack of coherency. It was a lack of follow-through, in that their subplots kept canceling each other out, with the result that there was very little forward motion in any direction at all except in terms of the burgeoning Marvel movie-verse.
Image

User avatar
Fat Zombie
Posts: 588
Joined: Wed Jun 06, 2007 10:28 am UTC
Location: The comfy chair.

Re: Iron Man 2

Postby Fat Zombie » Mon May 10, 2010 8:45 pm UTC

Malice wrote:
Spoiler:
Whiplash's father was treated unfairly by Stark's father--but their battle never acknowledged this, and Tony never reacted to it, with guilt or any other response. They just ignored it.



Spoiler:
That was sort-of closed off: the reason for Vanko's deportation was because Vanko treated the arc reactor project as purely a money-making enterprise, rather than a project to help humanity. Also wasn't there something about trying to sneak plans or something? The whole "Whiplash and Stark" thing was a sins-of-the-father thing. Stark and Whiplash were forced into nemesis roles by the actions of their fathers.
...And before you ask: yes, I do like to listen to myself talk!

User avatar
Pez Dispens3r
is not a stick figure.
Posts: 2079
Joined: Thu Dec 04, 2008 3:08 am UTC
Location: Australia
Contact:

Re: Iron Man 2

Postby Pez Dispens3r » Tue May 11, 2010 6:35 am UTC

LE4dGOLEM wrote:and I went "huh. huh." in a silent cinema at cap's shield as though I was the only one who realised what was on screen (or at least the only one who didn't know it was coming already). I really liked it.

Spoiler:
I thought that was Cap's shield at first, but then it looked too flimsy and lightweight so I dismissed it as that.
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:I feel like you're probably an ocelot, and I feel like I want to eat you. Feeling is fun!
this isn't my cow

User avatar
keozen
The Bearded FaiD Batman
Posts: 1497
Joined: Wed Aug 01, 2007 6:31 am UTC
Location: Yorkshire, UK
Contact:

Re: Iron Man 2

Postby keozen » Tue May 11, 2010 8:21 am UTC

Pez Dispens3r wrote:
LE4dGOLEM wrote:and I went "huh. huh." in a silent cinema at cap's shield as though I was the only one who realised what was on screen (or at least the only one who didn't know it was coming already). I really liked it.

Spoiler:
I thought that was Cap's shield at first, but then it looked too flimsy and lightweight so I dismissed it as that.

Spoiler:
It's a half built version of Cap's shield :)
Image

User avatar
Endless Mike
Posts: 3204
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2007 3:04 pm UTC

Re: Iron Man 2

Postby Endless Mike » Tue May 11, 2010 1:41 pm UTC

Malice wrote:But they kept bringing things up and then not following through.
Spoiler:
Whiplash's father was treated unfairly by Stark's father--but their battle never acknowledged this, and Tony never reacted to it, with guilt or any other response. They just ignored it.
The same goes for the post-battle interrogation, where Whiplash tells Tony, "You lose," with the implication that Tony's public vulnerability will lead to the public turning on him. It does have the effect of making the government want to take his suits even more... and then Rhodes steals one, and the government forgets all about the others.
Then there was the whole "Shield helps him cure himself" thing...


Ultimately I don't think the issue was a lack of coherency. It was a lack of follow-through, in that their subplots kept canceling each other out, with the result that there was very little forward motion in any direction at all except in terms of the burgeoning Marvel movie-verse.

I think it comes down to the fact that there was a bunch of subplots, but very little in the way of an overarching plot beyond "Whiplash sure does hate Tony."

On Vanko:
Spoiler:
There was definitely some "trying to sneak plans" thing going on since once he was returned to the Soviet Union, they forced him to move to Siberia.


The science was very...comicy (hell, the whole movie was), and once I got past that, I enjoyed it, but the first one was better, I thought. This was kind of running into Spider-Man territory with a bit too much going on.


Return to “Movies and TV Shows”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 13 guests