The Simpsons

Rot your brains, then rot our boards

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Lazar
Landed Gentry

Re: The Simpsons

Postby Lazar » Sat May 16, 2015 7:57 am UTC

rmsgrey wrote:In the "can't compel creativity" column, there's not a lot Fox can do to actually force him to continue making acceptable episodes. On the other hand, there's probably not much Groening can do to stop Fox from continuing to produce episodes of a show called The Simpsons with most of the same creative team, but no Matt Groening involved...

Well, he's not the showrunner, and hasn't been since 1991. He's credited as an executive producer and creative consultant, but my impression is that he doesn't have much involvement in the day-to-day making of the show at this point.
Exit the vampires' castle.

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Wed May 20, 2015 1:10 pm UTC

Mutex wrote:I can't think of any Simpsons cutaway gags though? Certainly not in the Seasons 1-9 era.
"Zookeeper! Zookeeper! Those monkeys are killing each other!" was Season 4, and there are plenty more like that.

Lazar wrote:he's been the most vocally critical of the show
Vocally critical? This is news to me. In what way?

pkcommando wrote:Does anyone know if there's any truth to a rumor I've seen around the internet that it's not even in Groening's hands to end the show? Supposedly, he doesn't have the power to say "screw it, let's end this already" and it's solely up to Fox execs.
I've heard that he's had a very particular "final moment" in mind for many, many, many years.

Lazar
Landed Gentry

Postby Lazar » Wed May 20, 2015 1:56 pm UTC

In 2004 he said that the show had declined in quality and that he no longer enjoyed working on it. Also, in 2001 he bashed the episode "The Principal and the Pauper".

mathmannix

Postby mathmannix » Wed May 20, 2015 4:50 pm UTC

Lazar wrote:In 2004 he said that the show had declined in quality and that he no longer enjoyed working on it. Also, in 2001 he bashed the episode "The Principal and the Pauper".

Shhh, you're not supposed to mention that! Torture!
(Carry on, Lisa. Snowball 2.)
I hear velociraptor tastes like chicken.

Lazar
Landed Gentry

Postby Lazar » Tue Jul 07, 2015 10:09 pm UTC

Well scratch all that. Harry Shearer has joined the rest of the main cast in a 4-season contract.

mathmannix

Postby mathmannix » Thu Jul 09, 2015 1:41 pm UTC

Yay! The series can continue for another 4 years of mediocrity!
I hear velociraptor tastes like chicken.

verygoodyear

Postby verygoodyear » Thu Jul 16, 2015 12:22 pm UTC

It does raise the question of just how long the original cast will want to carry on doing this, or are physically able to. Dan and Nancy are 57, Julie Kavner 64 and Smith in 51 so while they've got plenty of years left in them they might one day get ill or just not want to do that until they die.

If the show keeps making money for another 20 years ("who knows what adventures they'll have between now and the time the show becomes unprofitable") could they wholesale replace the cast with sound-alikes, and would anyone who's not a Simpsons nerd care or even notice? They'll still watch it and buy the lunchboxes.

And did someone say, 'long-lost triplets?'

Return to “Movies and TV Shows”