The Prince of The Persia: The Sands of The Time, The

Rot your brains, then rot our boards

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

DreadArchon

The Prince of The Persia: The Sands of The Time, The

Postby DreadArchon » Sun May 30, 2010 8:17 pm UTC

I just saw this, I thought it was great. I especially liked that they seemed to do a good job of working in expected tropes without emphasizing them and detracting from the fun (e.g. the two pretty people being forced to work together even though they hate each and then--surprise!--they fall in love).

For those who read my post and not the rest of the thread, let me summarize 2/3 of posts from here on: "The cast was all white despite depicting Middle Easterners and he didn't jump across the exact same number of rooftops as he did in the game, so this is the worst movie in decades and I'm going to make various analogies about my childhood being raped."
Last edited by DreadArchon on Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:35 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

-.Mateo.-

Re: Prince of Persia: Sands of Time

Postby -.Mateo.- » Sun May 30, 2010 9:09 pm UTC

DreadArchon wrote: he didn't jump across the exact same number of rooftops as he did in the game

They ruined it!

Haven't watched it yet, but I'm looking forward to it...
Magus wrote:If history is to change, let it change. If the world is to be destroyed, so be it. If my fate is to die, I must simply laugh.

Just as you touch the energy of every life form you meet, so, too, will will their energy strengthen you.

MikeBabaguh

Postby MikeBabaguh » Mon May 31, 2010 8:57 am UTC

Considering the history of games made into movies, it didn't have a lot of promise from the get-go. The previews make it look somewhat appealing as a generic mindless summer action flick, and Gemma Arterton (sp?) is hot as hell, so I figured maybe I'd tag along with friends who were actually interested in seeing it.

Once I heard that a white American was cast as a middle easterner with a British accent, I decided to avoid it at all costs.
Pursue happiness, with diligence.

mercuryseven

Postby mercuryseven » Mon May 31, 2010 9:07 am UTC

Prince of Persia is one of those games which already have great cinematic quality by itself - interesting story, characters, (voice) acting, special effects, action.

But movie companies have always taken good stuff and then ruin it. Another recent example was Hitman. The game version had all the ingredients of a good movie; ironically the movie version sucked.

Also, Jake Gyllenhall? Seriously?

Pez Dispens3r
is not a stick figure.

Postby Pez Dispens3r » Mon May 31, 2010 11:08 am UTC

mercuryseven wrote:Also, Jake Gyllenhall? Seriously?

Hey, the guy has abs and charm in stacks. Perfect prince material.

However, this movie I will not like. Farah needed to be a Bollywood actress, say Ayesha Azmi, and the cast needed to at least be Mediterranean: Iranians would have been best. Instead, we get a Disney-white cast. Fuck. Off. You're better than this, Disney, almost.

But, yeah, things rarely translate well across mediums, and the video game to film transition has never been successful. Not having seen it yet, I'm prepared to say it's a pile of shit.
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:I feel like you're probably an ocelot, and I feel like I want to eat you. Feeling is fun!
this isn't my cow

el_loco_avs

Postby el_loco_avs » Mon May 31, 2010 1:29 pm UTC

There was no Farah in the movie though. It seems more based on some mythology, name-wise.

And why would an Indian actress make more sense when the role is that of a Persian princess?
You go your way.
I'll go your way too.

Pez Dispens3r
is not a stick figure.

Postby Pez Dispens3r » Mon May 31, 2010 1:41 pm UTC

el_loco_avs wrote:There was no Farah in the movie though. It seems more based on some mythology, name-wise.

And why would an Indian actress make more sense when the role is that of a Persian princess?

The princess is not Persian.

And, yeah, Farah is in the movie, it's just they changed her name for it.
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:I feel like you're probably an ocelot, and I feel like I want to eat you. Feeling is fun!
this isn't my cow

Dasboard
Location: I wish I was dreaming of soap.... wait where was this space for again?

Postby Dasboard » Mon May 31, 2010 1:47 pm UTC

I loved the games, and plan on seeing it. Not too fond of what I've heard so far. I had some hope nfor it as the guy who pretty much invented free running ( Forgot his name ) was working together with the makers of the movie, so at least they'd have the climkbing aspects right. But white americans? Wuuuh :(
Are you ready? Well I made my bet
Are you ready? I made some.. preparations.
Are you ready? But I'm older now!
But are you ready? Yeah...

mercuryseven

Postby mercuryseven » Mon May 31, 2010 3:23 pm UTC

Pez Dispens3r wrote:
mercuryseven wrote:Also, Jake Gyllenhall? Seriously?

Hey, the guy has abs and charm in stacks. Perfect prince material.

Craig Ferguson has echoed my mind in one of his monologues (I can't remember which, but it was quite recent). He said something along the lines of Jake being too "modern" for an ancient prince.

I was kinda hoping to have someone with a martial arts background to pull off the action scenes - though I couldn't think of anyone suitable so my argument can rightly be shot down there.

Well, I haven't watched the movie yet (I surely will). His performance may convince me otherwise; he does have a good acting track record in any case.

el_loco_avs

Postby el_loco_avs » Mon May 31, 2010 10:55 pm UTC

Pez Dispens3r wrote:
el_loco_avs wrote:There was no Farah in the movie though. It seems more based on some mythology, name-wise.

The princess is not Persian.

And, yeah, Farah is in the movie, it's just they changed her name for it.

>_<

She's the Princess of Alamut in the movie. A Persian city. Not the daughter of a maharadja like in the game.
You go your way.
I'll go your way too.

broken_escalator
They're called stairs

Postby broken_escalator » Wed Jun 02, 2010 3:15 pm UTC

Having not played the game I really enjoyed the movie. The cast didn't bother me at all, I just enjoyed the story. At one point though he climbed a tower and I thought I was playing assassains creed because the camera panned a bit... like when you get a sync point.

The banter between the prince and the princess was very good. And I think everyone liked Sheik Amar; all of his rants about government and taxes was a nice change of pace :lol:

cina

Postby cina » Wed Jun 02, 2010 3:45 pm UTC

For those that didn't play the game, you really should!

Its such an immersive, fun, easy to play game.
One of my favorite of all time.
The controls are intuitive as well.

Well i guess that there will be several iterations of this movie, if it follows
in the footsteps of the game.

Great!

Dasboard
Location: I wish I was dreaming of soap.... wait where was this space for again?

Postby Dasboard » Wed Jun 02, 2010 8:17 pm UTC

Having not played the game I really enjoyed the movie. The cast didn't bother me at all, I just enjoyed the story. At one point though he climbed a tower and I thought I was playing assassains creed because the camera panned a bit... like when you get a sync point.

They totally stole the annoying camera moments from PoP. Really.

ian

Postby ian » Wed Jun 02, 2010 8:29 pm UTC

I normally love any action movie, no matter how bad, but I thought this was just absolutely terrible. The accents were all over the place, the script and acting rubbish. There were some nice action scenes but the stupidity of the characters just the general way they forwarded the plot were just far too annoying. I can see an 8 year old kid maybe enjoying it, but god i was glad when it ended.

The banter between the prince and the princess was very good. And I think everyone liked Sheik Amar; all of his rants about government and taxes was a nice change of pace

Really? Just came across as forced and clichéd to me. The kind of stuff a 1st year film student would write. Not helped by both displaying some bad acting at times.

Dasboard

Postby Dasboard » Wed Jun 02, 2010 8:33 pm UTC

If that is true I will cry.

broken_escalator
They're called stairs

Postby broken_escalator » Thu Jun 03, 2010 3:19 pm UTC

ian wrote:
The banter between the prince and the princess was very good. And I think everyone liked Sheik Amar; all of his rants about government and taxes was a nice change of pace

Really? Just came across as forced and clichéd to me. The kind of stuff a 1st year film student would write. Not helped by both displaying some bad acting at times.

From what I overheard while exiting the theater and talking with friends, they definitly liked it. It was actually a little annoying walking past everyone and hearing quotes from the sheik ranging from ostriches to "have I told you about..."

Maybe its just different for me because I almost always enjoy a movie. I rarely enjoy horror movies, they're almost always too predictable and I don't get what I showed up for. But with a movie like prince of persia I wanted to see a summer action/adventure movie and thats what I got. I mean I'm sure I'd be displeased if I played the game first and knew how the story originally was, but when isn't a film adaptation like that :roll:

aleflamedyud
wants your cookies

Postby aleflamedyud » Thu Jun 03, 2010 5:17 pm UTC

Why is there a topic here for a movie that DOES NOT EXIST?
"With kindness comes naïveté. Courage becomes foolhardiness. And dedication has no reward. If you can't accept any of that, you are not fit to be a graduate student."

Dasboard

Postby Dasboard » Fri Jun 04, 2010 11:21 am UTC

Didn't notice the wrong title untill I read that.

Pez Dispens3r
is not a stick figure.

Postby Pez Dispens3r » Fri Jun 04, 2010 11:40 am UTC

aleflamedyud wrote:Why is there a topic here for a movie that DOES NOT EXIST?
Why do you want my cookies?
this isn't my cow

broken_escalator
They're called stairs

Postby broken_escalator » Fri Jun 04, 2010 1:51 pm UTC

Dasboard wrote:Didn't notice the wrong title untill I read that.

I'm not seeing it, what am I missing :?

Dasboard

Postby Dasboard » Fri Jun 04, 2010 5:32 pm UTC

Edited.
Last edited by Dasboard on Fri Jun 04, 2010 5:47 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

crowey
That's DOCTOR Crowey, to you

Postby crowey » Fri Jun 04, 2010 5:37 pm UTC

Not according to IMDB: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0473075/

ETA: Apart from the obvious objections about americans with british accents playing Persians etc. I found it quite enjoyable. It wasn't high art, but it was entertaining.

Dasboard

Postby Dasboard » Fri Jun 04, 2010 5:47 pm UTC

Nevermind, you are correct. The new game is called Forgotten Sands. Excuse me.

Edit: I am sure I was in a hurry when I typed this.
Last edited by Dasboard on Sun Jun 06, 2010 4:57 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

movietei

Postby movietei » Sat Jun 05, 2010 11:58 am UTC

the only think i like is princess Tamina.. that is it

Dream
WINNING

Postby Dream » Sat Jun 05, 2010 5:34 pm UTC

Dasboard wrote:Nevermind, you are correct. The new game is called Frogtton Sands. Excuse me.

Frogtton Sands being the English fishing village from whence came Gyllenhal's accent...
I knew a woman once, but she died soon after.

Moo
Oh man! I'm going to be so rebellious! I'm gonna...

Re: Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time

Postby Moo » Thu Jun 24, 2010 12:29 pm UTC

I am 29 years old, happily married, and really really not one for fangirl-ism and celebrity worship. REALLY. But I haven't been able to stop thinking about Prince Dastan since seeing it last night... :oops: I don't fancy Jake Gyllenall, understand me, but I am in total lust with the character. Also, I haven't played the games. Therefor the following is less than objective:

I really liked it. It was a good popcorn movie so as long as you don't expect any more, I think it's worth seeing. I felt they captured the feeling of playing a game (generic game, not this game as I wouldn't know) quite well in many of those rooftop scenes. I really liked the two main characters (objections of race and accents aside, which are justified) and empathysed with them and wanted them to succeed. I thought especially Dastan was a good balance between the Alladin-esque street rat with charm and a chin full of manly stuble, the sad lost boy who is alone and grew up hard, the flawed hero, and the noble young man trying to do the right thing. Those are all tropes of course but I find action heroes are only usually one of those things and it's hard to balance them all in the same character and it being convincing.

That said the slapstick annoyed me. I laughed a few times at Sheik Amar but it was too much and he seemed like he was a character from another genre lost in this movie with no way home. Even one scene near the end with Dastan was like a bit of a Tom & Jerry moment ("oh no I'm going to die. Oh look I survived! *goofy smile* ... *eyes widen with realisation of what the audience knew was inevitably coming* Oh no here we go again!").

I thought the plot resolution was pretty satisfying, too.

Oh and did I mention I want to have Dastan's babies?
Proverbs 9:7-8 wrote:Anyone who rebukes a mocker will get an insult in return. Anyone who corrects the wicked will get hurt. So don't bother correcting mockers; they will only hate you.
Hawknc wrote:FFT: I didn't realise Proverbs 9:7-8 was the first recorded instance of "haters gonna hate"

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Re: The Prince of The Persia: The Sands of The Time, The

Postby SecondTalon » Thu Jun 24, 2010 8:25 pm UTC

Because The isn't that important of a word.

But don't worry. I fixed it.

Alllllllll better now.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby Felstaff » Fri Jun 25, 2010 7:57 am UTC

I think you meant to reply to this thread. [/RobinS]
Away, you scullion! you rampallion! You fustilarian! I'll tickle your catastrophe.

Internetmeme

Postby Internetmeme » Sat Jun 26, 2010 1:10 am UTC

Just had to post this.
Spoiler:

mercuryseven

Postby mercuryseven » Sat Jun 26, 2010 1:35 pm UTC

I just watched it... despite all my skepticism I mentioned above, I think I kinda liked that movie. The story was reasonably good, considering it was conceived by Jordan Mechner himself. Although Princess Tamina was not as awesome as Farah in the games (Farah was Princes' equal during combat, with her bow and all), but Tamina played by Gemma Atherton did okay..Now I'm heading to dust off that Prince of Persia CD, reinstall, and go back to play the games again.

My only gripe, if any, was the fight scenes. Heavily edited and awkward camera angles... it was hard to see what's going on. It was the same reason I did not enjoy the Transformers fight scenes...

Return to “Movies and TV Shows”