Mortal Kombat Reboot

Rot your brains, then rot our boards

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

luvnotwar

Mortal Kombat Reboot

Postby luvnotwar » Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:13 pm UTC

Not a real trailer per se, more of a really polished pitch for a reboot.

The trailer is getting flamed hard on youtube (indignant nerdrage), but if they were going to do another MK movie I think this is definitely the best option. I mean, that looks good to me, I would watch that!

pseudoidiot
Sexy Beard Man

Re: Mortal Kombat Reboot

Postby pseudoidiot » Thu Jun 10, 2010 2:01 pm UTC

A little more information here.
Derailed : Gaming Outside the Box.
SecondTalon wrote:*swoons* I love you, all powerful pseudoidiot!
ShootTheChicken wrote:I can't stop thinking about pseudoidiot's penis.

broken_escalator
They're called stairs

Postby broken_escalator » Thu Jun 10, 2010 3:26 pm UTC

I don't know if I like them leaving outworld and all the realm stuff out of the movies, which seems likely since they had boroka as an insane doctor.

Princess Marzipan

Postby Princess Marzipan » Sat Jun 12, 2010 3:03 pm UTC

broken_escalator wrote:I don't know if I like them leaving outworld and all the realm stuff out of the movies, which seems likely since they had boroka as an insane doctor.

You mean leaving out the tossed-in-as-an-afterthought "plot" of the video games? OH HEAVENS NO.
"It's Saturday night. I've got no date, a two-liter of Shasta, and my all-Rush mixtape. Let's rock!"
"I am just about to be brilliant!"
General_Norris, on feminism, wrote:If you lose your six Pokémon, you lost.

Mighty Jalapeno
Inne Juste 7 Dayes I Wille Make You A Hero!

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Sat Jun 12, 2010 3:12 pm UTC

Princess Marzipan wrote:
broken_escalator wrote:I don't know if I like them leaving outworld and all the realm stuff out of the movies, which seems likely since they had boroka as an insane doctor.

You mean leaving out the tossed-in-as-an-afterthought "plot" of the video games? OH HEAVENS NO.

You beat me to it!

FIGHT!

SurgicalSteel

Postby SurgicalSteel » Sun Jun 13, 2010 3:02 am UTC

It looks like it could be fun. The only thing that seems weird is Baraka. It looks like the only similarity this Baraka has to the game Baraka is the blades in his arms. I'll probably be checking it out later when it hits red box or the netflix instant viewing library.
"There's spray paint on the teleprompter
Anchorman screams that he's seen a monster (mayday)
There's blood stains on his shirt (mayday)
They say that he's gone berserk."
--Flobots "Mayday"

MikeBabaguh

Postby MikeBabaguh » Sun Jun 13, 2010 5:43 am UTC

It's more of a proof of concept than anything else. I wouldn't take for granted anything that the scene depicted, including character concepts, actors, or potential plotlines.
Pursue happiness, with diligence.

mercuryseven

Postby mercuryseven » Sun Jun 13, 2010 10:27 am UTC

Princess Marzipan wrote:You mean leaving out the tossed-in-as-an-afterthought "plot" of the video games? OH HEAVENS NO.

I think doing away with the Outworld plotline is a brilliant move. The "plot" of the video games, although cool in the games, seem hard to make into a sensible screenplay for a movie.

Is it me, or does Baraka look like a Reaver in a lab coat?

Mighty Jalapeno

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Sun Jun 13, 2010 3:28 pm UTC

The other Mortal Kombat movie was quite good for what it was: a 90's rendition of a kids video game.

This movie is for those same kids, now that they've grown up and been crushed by life.

mercuryseven

Postby mercuryseven » Sun Jun 13, 2010 3:43 pm UTC

Mighty Jalapeno wrote:The other Mortal Kombat movie was quite good for what it was: a 90's rendition of a kids video game.

This movie is for those same kids, now that they've grown up and been crushed by life.

Hence the gloomy grittyness and "realism" (no more fantasy Outworld elements) of the reboot version. Wow, it all makes perfect sense now, why I liked that clip.

One more thing I want to add is the importance of the main theme of the franchise - Martial Arts. It's the main reason I loved the first MK movie - they focused on the martial arts, and actually used actors with real skill and performed impressive stuff. Which is very good if compared to more recent films like Street Fighter: Legend of Chun Li, where they used famous faces, but the fight scenes were badly choreographed and badly edited.

SurgicalSteel

Postby SurgicalSteel » Sun Jun 13, 2010 8:43 pm UTC

Mighty Jalapeno wrote:This movie is for those same kids, now that they've grown up and been crushed by life.
Man, they should do something like that with power rangers. I mean, one of them is already a sniper in Canada.
"There's spray paint on the teleprompter
Anchorman screams that he's seen a monster (mayday)
There's blood stains on his shirt (mayday)
They say that he's gone berserk."
--Flobots "Mayday"

sugarhyped

Postby sugarhyped » Tue Jun 15, 2010 5:17 am UTC

SurgicalSteel wrote:
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:This movie is for those same kids, now that they've grown up and been crushed by life.
Man, they should do something like that with power rangers. I mean, one of them is already a sniper in Canada.

yes.
huge power ranger fan as a kid. i am still proud that i watched the original power rangers.

i like the concept but is there going to be an actual movie made? it seems like it could have been made to get people interested in a movie.

i am surprised scorpion would be the main character.
I wanted a signature. I don't know what to put here yet.

Mighty Jalapeno

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Tue Jun 15, 2010 5:38 am UTC

sugarhyped wrote:i am surprised the best character in the whole franchise would be the main character.

Why?

Gopher of Pern

Postby Gopher of Pern » Tue Jun 15, 2010 6:27 am UTC

Mighty Jalapeno wrote:
sugarhyped wrote:i am surprised the second best character in the whole franchise would be the main character.

Why?

Fixed for you.

Sub-Zero was (marginally, grant you) better.
Look In My Face
Stare In My Soul
I Begin To Stupefy

broken_escalator
They're called stairs

Postby broken_escalator » Tue Jun 15, 2010 12:56 pm UTC

As awkward a plot as outworld was it was kinda the whole point of the tournament. Instead of a tournament to defend earthworld from being taken over what is the plot going to be? Kano being a terrorist and recruiting crazy people like boroka and cyborg/mutant ninjas? Sure that could work for Sonya and jax but a mortal combat game usually invovled some outworld threat where raiden had to amass some champions (really just throw liu kang at them) etc etc. I think it is funny they killed off johnny cage in the trailer pitch, since he's all about getting killed :lol:

Overall, I know Mortal Kombat doesn't have the best plot to run with, but leaving out something critical to an already small plot just seems unappealing to me as a mortal kombat fan. Though it probably makes more sense for a wider audience, explaining outworld could glaze a few eyeballs in theaters.

Princess Marzipan

Postby Princess Marzipan » Tue Jun 15, 2010 5:21 pm UTC

broken_escalator wrote:Overall, I know Mortal Kombat doesn't have the best plot to run with, but leaving out something critical to an already small plot just seems unappealing to me as a mortal kombat fan. Though it probably makes more sense for a wider audience, explaining outworld could glaze a few eyeballs in theaters.

Uh, Outworld isn't remotely critical. Since, y'know, that trailer outlined a fully workable plot without mentioning it.

You're doing the equivalent of watching the Hiroshima bombing and then asking "But guys, can we even MAKE an atomic bomb?"
"It's Saturday night. I've got no date, a two-liter of Shasta, and my all-Rush mixtape. Let's rock!"

broken_escalator
They're called stairs

Postby broken_escalator » Tue Jun 15, 2010 6:02 pm UTC

Maybe you missunderstood me, I'm sorry if I am unclear. What I meant was that outworld was important to the storyline of motal kombat, not this trailer.

I'm not really sure how your analogy applies, its like backing a jeep up over a box of donuts.

Princess Marzipan

Postby Princess Marzipan » Tue Jun 15, 2010 6:09 pm UTC

broken_escalator wrote:What I meant was that outworld was important to the storyline of motal kombat, not this trailer.
You weren't unclear. You're persisting that outworld is ESSENTIAL to the plot of Mortal Kombat, when this trailer clearly shows that a different plot, lacking anything resembling outworld, can still effectively capture the style and atmosphere of the games in cinematic form.

But at this point I apparently may as well be trying to talk to an ACTUAL broken escalator, since you seem incapable of grasping anything that isn't entirely literal.

broken_escalator
They're called stairs

Postby broken_escalator » Tue Jun 15, 2010 6:39 pm UTC

The first post I had here you were already jumping down my throat for just stating my opinion. Then to clarify my view I try to express that leaving out something like outworld and all the magic and sorcery involved within would seem like a mistake. Of course you'd rather attack me than just agree to disagree, god forbid I have an opinion on a movie adaptation to a video game. I never said I hate this trailer and that it will never work, I am just worried what the plot will be like without outworld. Maybe you didn't like the outworld plots but that doesn't mean no one liked them. I liked all the crap about elder gods, different realms, because when I was little it fascinated me, and it would be hard to imagine them keeping all that stuff in a real-world adaptation.

I don't understand how you think outworld isn't important to mortal kombat (bar this real world adaptation) since there would be no shao kahn, no sindel, no mortal kombat... Thats a pretty large chunk of mortal kombat canon. This is why your analogy doesn't make sense to me: They make a real world adaptation trailer that ignores all of mortal kombat canon, and suddenly outworld was never a part of mortal kombat. Okay.

Princess Marzipan wrote:But at this point I apparently may as well be trying to talk to an ACTUAL broken escalator, since you seem incapable of grasping anything that isn't entirely literal.

I'm not sure what I might have done to offend you but I'd appreciate it if you weren't such an ass to me, or is that how you treat everyone?

Princess Marzipan

Postby Princess Marzipan » Tue Jun 15, 2010 7:12 pm UTC

broken_escalator wrote:I am just worried what the plot will be like without outworld. ... it would be hard to imagine them keeping all that stuff in a real-world adaptation.

You just SAW a plot without outworld. Why is hard to imagine THAT THING YOU JUST SAW?

Princess Marzipan wrote:But at this point I apparently may as well be trying to talk to an ACTUAL broken escalator, since you seem incapable of grasping anything that isn't entirely literal.

I'm not sure what I might have done to offend you but I'd appreciate it if you weren't such an ass to me, or is that how you treat everyone?
I've made the same point three times and you must either be ignoring it or completely missing it.

My response to your first post here was being casually dismissive of the outworld plot, and wasn't intended as a slight against you. Seriously, the plot of the first Mortal Kombat games just screams "afterthought." Which is fine, it's a fighting game. But it's not a particularly intricate or well-woven plot, by any means.

The whole point is these badass motherfuckers punching each other in the face. I honestly don't care what the excuse is.

broken_escalator
They're called stairs

Postby broken_escalator » Tue Jun 15, 2010 7:27 pm UTC

No, I get that you can easily make a mortal kombat adaptation. I don't mean to argue against that if that is what it sounds like. I'm not very good at relaying my messages through writing so I apologize for the confusion.

What I meant about imagining them keeping 'all that stuff', I should have been more specific. I meant all the mysticism and crap from outworld that enticed me. Maybe I missed a part of the trailor where they had that, but I'm at work now so I can't see it. I can barely even load forums while I'm running programs :| . But the reason I liked the old, crappy plot was that being the earthrealm champions was really cool way back when I was little. It was easy to feel like me and my friends acomplished something when we beat shao kahn that one time. I can understand that the plot that I hold dear is more than likely an afterthought and poor quality, but nostalgia makes me love it so.

I more than agree the adaptation will be badass even without outworld, I just want my cake and to eat it too.

Princess Marzipan

Postby Princess Marzipan » Tue Jun 15, 2010 8:22 pm UTC

HELLO KITTALITY

Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Postby Jesse » Tue Jun 15, 2010 8:30 pm UTC

Broken_escalator: Here is the reason they dropped 'Outworld' and 'Earthrealm CHampions'.

Mighty Jalapeno wrote:The other Mortal Kombat movie was quite good for what it was: a 90's rendition of a kids video game.

Endless Mike

Postby Endless Mike » Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:06 pm UTC

I guess I have two thoughts on it:

1) It looks really cool and I would definitely go see a movie based off this.

2) Other than character names and abilities, it's not really Mortal Kombat, but that's okay. It's like making a Superman movie about a guy who flies and is superstrong because he was in a radioactive blast and his adventures fighting terrorist of Lex Luthor alongside Commander Lois Lane in Afghanistan. It might be the best movie ever, but was it truly necessary to call it Superman?

I dunno, I guess I just find the whole supernatural part of Mortal Kombat somewhat intrinsic to the series. I find "creepy magic alien" easier to swallow than "plastic surgeon who stuck big knives in his arms."

I guess what I am saying is that I want this to be a movie so they should just change the character names since that would probably be more likely to be made.

Malice

Postby Malice » Wed Jun 16, 2010 2:46 am UTC

Endless Mike wrote:2) Other than character names and abilities, it's not really Mortal Kombat, but that's okay. It's like making a Superman movie about a guy who flies and is superstrong because he was in a radioactive blast and his adventures fighting terrorist of Lex Luthor alongside Commander Lois Lane in Afghanistan. It might be the best movie ever, but was it truly necessary to call it Superman?

I am not a student of Mortal Kombat, but I was under the impression that the point of it was, you know, punching and kicking and fighting, followed by killing with inventive and gory special moves. Is there a deep, emotional connection to the idea that some of the fighters come from MagickTowne, or what?

In contrast, the core of Superman is, "I am from another planet, but this is my home now, and I will protect it with my strength." If you remove that foundation, there is no character. But I don't think the supernatural elements in Mortal Kombat are anywhere near as important, especially given that Mortal Kombat is a vastly shallower "story" than Superman. I'm not making a judgment; there's nothing wrong with a shallow story in service of an entertaining game or movie (and I certainly found the '90s film entertaining when I was a kid).

I find "creepy magic alien" easier to swallow than "plastic surgeon who stuck big knives in his arms."

I find this statement fascinating. Why do you think you find "magic alien" more believable?

I guess what I am saying is that I want this to be a movie so they should just change the character names since that would probably be more likely to be made.

That would be much less likely to be made, because it would have none of the built-in box office that comes with owning a previously published property that has a reasonably large fan base.

--

My thoughts on this, in a more film student-y vein, are that I suddenly realize that I haven't been waiting for a good video-game movie, I've been waiting for a great one. In comparison to comic book movies, we're in Tim Burton's Batman era, just at the starting point, when adaptations will be big-budget tent-pole cinema, full of dumb action and poorly-written stories, filmed in the conventional modern style (throw some gritty color correction up there, use a lot of handheld, cut early and often). And entertaining movies will probably result.

But what I'm waiting for will take a lot longer; I'm waiting for the graphic novel period--your American Splendors, your Road to Perditions, your History of Violences--and the period beyond that--your Iron Mans, your Nolan Batmans--and the period beyond that, that we haven't even seen yet with comics.

So while I'm happy that games appear to have gotten to the point of being mainstream entertainment, I'm a little depressed at the thought of all the Bay and Bruckheimer bullshit we'll have to wade through, all the fanboyism and the lines and the heated arguments, all the critical essays this way and that on whether video game adaptations are art or good or bad or worthy of attention or whatever the fuck... until they finally get to be just movies like the rest of 'em.

Glmclain

Postby Glmclain » Wed Jun 16, 2010 12:11 pm UTC

I thought that fight scene with Baraka (inb4 Tea Party Obama slander) was frickin' awesome. Hell I'd pay full price for this movie. The camera, the lighting, the over-seriousness, I think it's pretty obvious they're in on the joke here.

At any rate I hope this is a real film and not just promotion for the new game.
You Samoans are all the same! You have no faith in the essential decency of the white man's culture!

Endless Mike

Postby Endless Mike » Wed Jun 16, 2010 12:59 pm UTC

Malice wrote:
I find "creepy magic alien" easier to swallow than "plastic surgeon who stuck big knives in his arms."

I find this statement fascinating. Why do you think you find "magic alien" more believable?

I'm just going to say that I really agree with everything you're saying. MK's story IS shallow, but it's there. It's about lightning gods and four-armed monsters and skeletons who shoot harpoons from their arms. I feel that is at least somewhat core to the MK experience (for lack of a better term). It's like I said: I would glady see this movie if anything comes of it, and provided they get rid of some of the exposition, enjoy it a lot, but I'm just not sure that it would really be MK, and, frankly, they wouldn't be better off tossing it completely so they have NO chains of licensing holding them back.

As for that specific comment: magic is only bound to the rules, if any, that the writers give it. Putting this in a more real world binds it to real world rules.

Princess Marzipan

Postby Princess Marzipan » Wed Jun 16, 2010 1:02 pm UTC

Endless Mike wrote:As for that specific comment: magic is only bound to the rules, if any, that the writers give it. Putting this in a more real world binds it to real world rules.
Pffffft have you SEEN MOVIES?

Mighty Jalapeno

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Wed Jun 16, 2010 1:26 pm UTC

Glmclain wrote:At any rate I hope this is a real film and not just promotion for the new game.

Once again: It's a backdoor trailer / pilot put together by a director with some of his Hollywood accomplices to TRY and get this movie made this way.

broken_escalator
They're called stairs

Postby broken_escalator » Wed Jun 16, 2010 2:51 pm UTC

Malice wrote:
Endless Mike wrote:2) Other than character names and abilities, it's not really Mortal Kombat, but that's okay. It's like making a Superman movie about a guy who flies and is superstrong because he was in a radioactive blast and his adventures fighting terrorist of Lex Luthor alongside Commander Lois Lane in Afghanistan. It might be the best movie ever, but was it truly necessary to call it Superman?

I am not a student of Mortal Kombat, but I was under the impression that the point of it was, you know, punching and kicking and fighting, followed by killing with inventive and gory special moves. Is there a deep, emotional connection to the idea that some of the fighters come from MagickTowne, or what?

The main aspect of the game was a badass fighter game that was excessively gory, but that doesn't mean no-one thought the plot was cool or an actual part of the series. How do you explain MK Mythologies: Sub-zero if no one liked the story. Its all about the Lin Kuei trying to stop a magik sorcerer man from stealing a macguffen that would free an evil eldergod.

This will be a MK movie minus all the stuff that makes MK anything more than excessively gory and badass fighting. So its like MK-lite, or a MK for the people that don't care about the story behind MK and just want to see the excessively gory and badass fighting, and might recognize a few characters. And that's OKAY, I just hope they go aces on the fighting if they're nixing the story.

Endless Mike

Postby Endless Mike » Wed Jun 16, 2010 6:24 pm UTC

Princess Marzipan wrote:
Endless Mike wrote:As for that specific comment: magic is only bound to the rules, if any, that the writers give it. Putting this in a more real world binds it to real world rules.
Pffffft have you SEEN MOVIES?

WTF is a movie!?

But yeah, okay, good point. :)

axilog14

Postby axilog14 » Thu Jun 17, 2010 6:53 pm UTC

Personally I'm not really all that torn up about the hypothetical reboot doing away with Outworld, but then that that'd mean doing away with some of my favorite characters like Raiden and Kitana.

Wait. *Hollywood creativity gets to tinkering*

Roland Raiden shall be an electrician from Norway. Kitana shall be the stepdaughter of a bloodthirsty Yakuza boss, and she will have a black belt in karate and an identical twin sister with an Elektra Natchios cosplay fetish. :lol:
"Yes, my life is pathetic. But I still prefer it to the alternative!"

TaintedDeity

Postby TaintedDeity » Thu Jun 17, 2010 7:05 pm UTC

I want to know how they're going to handle Sub Zero...
Ⓞⓞ◯

pseudoidiot
Sexy Beard Man

Postby pseudoidiot » Thu Jun 17, 2010 7:19 pm UTC

Derailed : Gaming Outside the Box.
SecondTalon wrote:*swoons* I love you, all powerful pseudoidiot!
ShootTheChicken wrote:I can't stop thinking about pseudoidiot's penis.

Princess Marzipan

Postby Princess Marzipan » Thu Jun 17, 2010 7:23 pm UTC

...I'm going to allow this.

broken_escalator
They're called stairs

Postby broken_escalator » Thu Jun 17, 2010 7:23 pm UTC

TaintedDeity wrote:I want to know how they're going to handle Sub Zero...

Ice Cream man that trained to be a ninja in a secret order of ninja ice cream men.

Princess Marzipan

Postby Princess Marzipan » Thu Jun 17, 2010 7:32 pm UTC

...Fuck it, I'd allow that too.

Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Postby Jesse » Thu Jun 17, 2010 7:50 pm UTC

You do realise that they turned this down, and it's never going to be made into a film, right?

TaintedDeity

Postby TaintedDeity » Thu Jun 17, 2010 7:55 pm UTC

Damn, that's a shame. At least we got to see the short.
Ⓞⓞ◯

Return to “Movies and TV Shows”