Rot your brains, then rot our boards

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

crowey
That's DOCTOR Crowey, to you

Re: LOST

Postby crowey » Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:11 pm UTC

frezik wrote:
Spoiler:
I don't think the "evil" that Jacob was talking about the island containing was intended to reference MIB. His dieing words from last season ("they're coming") imply something yet unknown. However, "they" may not actually exist, as MIB asserted to Sawyer in the cave.

Since there has been a lack of forshadowing of what the nature of "them" might be, I'm inclined to agree that "they" don't exist.

Spoiler:
I dunno, "they" could have referred to Ilana or to Widmore et al on the sub... MIB has lied and manipulated everyone he's encountered, so I don't think anything he says can be taken as true or indicative of the truth. If MIB isn't The Big Evil that the island is containing, then I think he's the key to keeping it contained, so if he leaves so does the Big Evil.

Also, Jacob is being set up to be the guy we're supposed to support, and MIB is being shown to be manipulative and very violent to people who don't (obviously) deserve it e.g. the people who stayed at the temple. I don't think the producers will pull such a huge swicheroo of roles so late in the game.
Mind you they did change the others' from being violent baddies to more or less goodies.

MikeBabaguh

Postby MikeBabaguh » Thu Mar 25, 2010 7:32 pm UTC

Mind you they did change the others' from being violent baddies to more or less goodies.

They didn't change anything. Ben says in the second season finale to Michael that they're the good guys. We, the viewers, simply had no other perspective with which to judge them.
Pursue happiness, with diligence.

crowey

Postby crowey » Thu Mar 25, 2010 7:45 pm UTC

That was my point. :roll: Our perception of the others in the first 2 series was that they were baddies, kidnapping the kids, killing everyone else etc. Then, as we learned more about them, they weren't so bad after all.

Now we have jacob, seemingly being the goody, and MIB being the bad guy. If it turns out that what we've seen of them so far is just to throw us off track it won't be out of the ordinary becuase the producers have already done an "everything is not how it seems, actually they are good guys" thing.

-.Mateo.-

Postby -.Mateo.- » Fri Mar 26, 2010 4:42 am UTC

crowey wrote:That was my point. :roll: Our perception of the others in the first 2 series was that they were baddies, kidnapping the kids, killing everyone else etc. Then, as we learned more about them, they weren't so bad after all.

Now we have jacob, seemingly being the goody, and MIB being the bad guy. If it turns out that what we've seen of them so far is just to throw us off track it won't be out of the ordinary becuase the producers have already done an "everything is not how it seems, actually they are good guys" thing.

Spoiler:
I thought this too. what makes me think Jacob is a good guy is the balance thing, that MIB the Jacob was "the devil" and etc. which was clearly a lie, and MIB breking the bottle, continuing Jacobs analogy.

But I'm still not sure, and the one thing that really caught my attention wasMIB saying Jacob "took his body", maybe thats true and Jacob is the original smoke but somehow switched places with him
Magus wrote:If history is to change, let it change. If the world is to be destroyed, so be it. If my fate is to die, I must simply laugh.

Just as you touch the energy of every life form you meet, so, too, will will their energy strengthen you.

spupy

Postby spupy » Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:28 pm UTC

Sooo, we finally know what the island is. :)

Spoiler:
When I look at the comments of the episodes review at io9.com, it seems people think that the crashing ship wrecked that egyptian statue. But I'm not sure. Go to the scene where an officer was going to stab the chained Richard in the ship. The smokey-siren is herd. Before the massacre begins, you can hear something that to me sounds like a massive stone structure collapsing under a hit. Maybe the ship damaged the statue and smokey finished it off. Maybe not plot relevant but I found it interesting.
There are two types of people in this world - those who can count to 10 by using their fingers, and those who can count to 1023 by using their fingers.

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:41 pm UTC

spupy wrote:Sooo, we finally know what the island is. ☺

Spoiler:
When I look at the comments of the episodes review at io9.com, it seems people think that the crashing ship wrecked that egyptian statue. But I'm not sure. Go to the scene where an officer was going to stab the chained Richard in the ship. The smokey-siren is herd. Before the massacre begins, you can hear something that to me sounds like a massive stone structure collapsing under a hit. Maybe the ship damaged the statue and smokey finished it off. Maybe not plot relevant but I found it interesting.

Haha if you say "cork" under your breath, it does kind of sound like the noise when the Lost logo shows up at the end of each episode.

As for the statue,

Spoiler:
I find it hard to accept that a wooden ship could smash a stone statue without being obliterated itself.
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

uncivlengr

Postby uncivlengr » Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:50 pm UTC

Spoiler:
Yeah, an actual boat would have been smashed by the statue, not vice versa. The wave that lifted the BlackRock right up to the level of the statue's head would have been enough to destroy it, though.

I found it strange that there was very little debris from the statue visible when Richard went to the beach - it should have fell inland if the wave took it down.
I don't know what to do for you

crowey

Postby crowey » Sat Mar 27, 2010 12:34 am UTC

Spoiler:
the boat hit the head too, surely even if the boat was strong enough to take out the statue (which I doubt), surely a head shot wouldn't knock down the whole thing? I guess a massive wave like that could do it though, I wonder if the wave could have washed the rubble back out with it. If it was big enough to dump the black rock in the middle of the jungle, then there would a a huge amount of water rushing back out to sea...

cypherspace

Postby cypherspace » Sat Mar 27, 2010 2:12 am UTC

Robstickle wrote:
Spoiler:
So does anyone believe that Jacob actually is a good guy? He stated last episode that he's bringing humans to the island simply to try and prove a point to the MIB and then refusing to help them. That sounds kind of evil to me.

Spoiler:
Sounds just like the Book of Job to me. Fits the character perfectly.
"It was like five in the morning and he said he'd show me his hamster"

HiddenCounter

Postby HiddenCounter » Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:42 am UTC

Prediction for the Ending

Hurly takes Jacob's job and Sayid becomes the new Mib.

I believe Jacob confirmed good guy and Mib were once close friends. They both got stranded on the island and now the Mib became infected a long time ago. Through out the history Jacob now has to contain the evil. Mib is corrupting everyone and killing a lot of people; pretty much evil.

Mib black was right about things though. “They come, they fight, they destroy, and they corrupt.” So far this has what happened with our beloved characters. Jacob has now died because mib manipulated Ben (T’was the loophole.)

This is how history will repeat it self, Hurly will take control over the island and then contain any evil on it, like the cork. Mib, well something will happen to him and he won’t be around anymore. I am going to say Jack is the one who rids Mib. Then Sayid becomes the new Mib. This leads to history repeating it self and so on and so forth. ... See More

As my friend stated lying is evil in religion. This was one of his main points in Mib being a good guy. However, mib has lied and manipulated. The Mib has even killed, at this point we can pretty much confirm the Mib is evil well with his logic.
http://www.freesportsbet.com/HiddenCounter.html Free Bets, pm me for details on the validity and rules.

JayDee

Postby JayDee » Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:12 pm UTC

You know, I would totally watch a spin-off show about Sawyer and Miles as cops.
The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:I believe that everything can and must be joked about.
Hawknc wrote:I like to think that he hasn't left, he's just finally completed his foe list.

frezik

Postby frezik » Wed Apr 21, 2010 5:08 pm UTC

JayDee wrote:You know, I would totally watch a spin-off show about Sawyer and Miles as cops.

How about Locke and Ben as hit men?
I do not agree with the beer you drink, but will defend to the death your right to drink it

Lazar
Landed Gentry

Postby Lazar » Wed Apr 21, 2010 5:23 pm UTC

Okay, I have a question:

Spoiler:
FLocke said that he can only take the form of people if they're dead and their body is on the island, like Christian and Locke. But then what was up with adolescent Walt appearing to Real Locke when he was shot and in a ditch? Who was that? Walt isn't dead.

(inb4 WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAALT)

Also, the Locke and Linus show must happen.
Exit the vampires' castle.

frezik

Postby frezik » Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:29 pm UTC

Lazar wrote:Okay, I have a question:

Spoiler:
FLocke said that he can only take the form of people if they're dead and their body is on the island, like Christian and Locke. But then what was up with adolescent Walt appearing to Real Locke when he was shot and in a ditch? Who was that? Walt isn't dead.

Spoiler:
Don't think we can say anything more than that--it wasn't Smokey. Maybe it was that weird kid who keeps appearing in the jungle.
I do not agree with the beer you drink, but will defend to the death your right to drink it

HiddenCounter

Postby HiddenCounter » Thu Apr 22, 2010 5:51 pm UTC

Who thinks Vincent is the MIB. He has not shown up during those times and he would of died in a kennel in the plane crash.
http://www.freesportsbet.com/HiddenCounter.html Free Bets, pm me for details on the validity and rules.

Christo

Postby Christo » Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:09 pm UTC

HiddenCounter wrote:Who thinks Vincent is the MIB. He has not shown up during those times and he would of died in a kennel in the plane crash.

That's pretty damn funny. I'd just like to say that while I don't take back the wave of criticism that I've thrown at LOST, I do feel a little bad about it. I'm enjoying the hell out of this season. Each episode is better than the last.
www.cuttingroomcomic.com - a twice a week webcomic about recently released and upcoming movies.

Ivora

Postby Ivora » Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:07 pm UTC

Spoiler:
I can't wait till the seasons finale.... will they ever explain how the smoke monster came to get its shape shifting powers?

frezik

Postby frezik » Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:28 pm UTC

Ivora wrote:
Spoiler:
I can't wait till the seasons finale.... will they ever explain how the smoke monster came to get its shape shifting powers?

Spoiler:
I'm counting on episode 15 having a lot of explanation along those lines. Apparently, none of the main cast appear in it.

Major spoilers/rumors on upcoming episode (you have been warned): http://lostspoilers.wikia.com/wiki/Across_the_Sea

-.Mateo.-

Postby -.Mateo.- » Tue Apr 27, 2010 2:37 am UTC

Ivora wrote:
Spoiler:

Spoiler:
I'm betting on nanobots. possibly from the future.
Magus wrote:If history is to change, let it change. If the world is to be destroyed, so be it. If my fate is to die, I must simply laugh.

Just as you touch the energy of every life form you meet, so, too, will will their energy strengthen you.

Carolina

Postby Carolina » Tue May 04, 2010 9:38 pm UTC

may favvv :D
“Because we don't think about future generations, they will never forget us" By Henrik Tikkanen. ;)

Jailbreak Unlock iPhone

-.Mateo.-

Postby -.Mateo.- » Wed May 05, 2010 7:06 am UTC

Spoiler:
so jack was right, but that doesn't make me like him more than before...Also, I think that they stretched it a bit too much with kate at the end...I mean, she was shot and then escaped a sinking submarine! agonize, woman!

Robstickle

Postby Robstickle » Wed May 05, 2010 8:50 am UTC

-.Mateo.- wrote:
Spoiler:
so jack was right, but that doesn't make me like him more than before...Also, I think that they stretched it a bit too much with kate at the end...I mean, she was shot and then escaped a sinking submarine! agonize, woman!

Spoiler:
I was so happy for that ten seconds when I was sure she'd just been shot in the heart, alas it was not to be...

frezik

Postby frezik » Wed May 05, 2010 1:41 pm UTC

Always kill off most of your characters at the end. That way, nobody makes you write an unnecessary sequel.

-.Mateo.-

Postby -.Mateo.- » Thu May 06, 2010 2:27 am UTC

frezik wrote:Always kill off most of your characters at the end. That way, nobody makes you write an unnecessary sequel.

You made me think of Wash....now I'm all sad :(

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Thu May 06, 2010 6:44 am UTC

frezik wrote:Always kill off most of your characters at the end. That way, nobody makes you write an unnecessary sequel.

It didn't work for Arthur Conan Doyle, did it? :P

Oh and it makes me very sad that
Spoiler:
the Kwons died. Sure, we're getting near the end, so you can start killing people off, but don't get rid of two of the most likeable characters on the show.
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

Cathode Ray Sunshine

Postby Cathode Ray Sunshine » Thu May 06, 2010 2:11 pm UTC

Yeah man they're not really fucking around.

I love Terry O' Quinn. He's so evil, I love to hate him.

My main concern is that a lot of the island's mysteries won't be solved, like the whole pregnancy thing. And I don't want some silly explanation like with the whispers or the Statue.

crowey

Postby crowey » Thu May 06, 2010 3:38 pm UTC

SlyReaper wrote:Oh and it makes me very sad that
Spoiler:
the Kwons died. Sure, we're getting near the end, so you can start killing people off, but don't get rid of two of the most likeable characters on the show.

Spoiler:
I was gutted when Jin stayed with Sun. I know why he did, but he has a daughter FFS! he could have left Sun and got home to raise his child, but he chose to stay and die when he didn't have to :(

Next weeks episode should be epic, I think a lot of questions will be answered then.

frezik

Postby frezik » Thu May 06, 2010 5:57 pm UTC

SlyReaper wrote:

It didn't work for Arthur Conan Doyle, did it? :P

Nor did it work for "Kill'em All Tomino", who got his nickname for killing off most of his main cast at the end of his animes. He apparently* did this exactly for the reasons above, but people keep demanding his return to Gundam, anyway.

* "Apparently" because sometimes these are just rumors claimed to be from some interview that's never explicitly referenced or perhaps had bad translation errors

Christo

Postby Christo » Sat May 08, 2010 2:49 pm UTC

Hey, a guy on the digitalpimp board made a really interesting point about the last episode.
Spoiler:
The narrative seems to suggest that Locke orchestrated everything so that Sawyer would pull the wires out of the bomb and set it off. The implication is that if they hadn't done anything, the bomb wouldn't have gone off, right? But think of all the events that led to that scene. Kate was shot. Jack got on the sub. Hurley couldn't find a first aid kit. Jack decided to check his pack. Are we to believe that Locke knew and planned each of those events? Or is it a plot whole?
www.cuttingroomcomic.com - a twice a week webcomic about recently released and upcoming movies.

HiddenCounter

Postby HiddenCounter » Sun May 09, 2010 11:18 am UTC

Christo wrote:Hey, a guy on the digitalpimp board made a really interesting point about the last episode.
Spoiler:
The narrative seems to suggest that Locke orchestrated everything so that Sawyer would pull the wires out of the bomb and set it off. The implication is that if they hadn't done anything, the bomb wouldn't have gone off, right? But think of all the events that led to that scene. Kate was shot. Jack got on the sub. Hurley couldn't find a first aid kit. Jack decided to check his pack. Are we to believe that Locke knew and planned each of those events? Or is it a plot whole?
Well, I think he had the others firing at them. And he knew the sub would not be guarded and had the others shoot at kate. And he had the others plant the bombs on the plane, sneak on. Just a theory though.

uncivlengr

Postby uncivlengr » Sun May 09, 2010 11:42 am UTC

Spoiler:
Yeah, I thought he discovered the bombs for the first time on the plane, but on second thought, he pulls off the guard's watch before going in - he obviously knew he was going to be making the bomb... unless he just liked the watch.
I don't know what to do for you

Lazar
Landed Gentry

Postby Lazar » Wed May 12, 2010 1:57 am UTC

Whoa.

-.Mateo.-

Postby -.Mateo.- » Wed May 12, 2010 2:49 am UTC

while-watching comments (aka watching lost alone sucks):
Spoiler:
Holy shit, twins! Well, that ruins my theory that one of them was from the future...The whole evil twin was a little overdone (blankets, one crying, unexpected and with no name...) Still, pretty awesome

Man, I can't waittttttt stream dammit!!!
---------------------------------------------------------
"They killed THE boar" I'm probably wrong but that THE sounded weird...like they weren't supposed to kill it or something

They Light...I don't like where this is going, if Lost ends up being about magic instead of science, Im gonna be disappointed....
------------------------------------------------
Okay, the boar thing was stupid
Now it seems more science-ish, but I really wanted to see someone from the future :(
---------------------------------------------------
I really hope the mom is wrong about the light..."it's life, etc..." that's boring, give me science dammit!

Also, Jacob lost a lot of Awesome-points now that we know he has mommy issues...
-----------------------------------------------------
Wait, how old are those bodies??? I thought they were much younger!!!

Lazar
Landed Gentry

Postby Lazar » Wed May 12, 2010 2:06 pm UTC

I have a continuity question:

Spoiler:
When they first found the "Adam and Eve" skeletons, Jack estimated that the remains were 40 to 50 years old. But now it turns out that they're like 1500-2000 years old. What's up with that? Does the island have some preservative effect on corpses, maybe related to its healing abilities?

JayDee

Postby JayDee » Wed May 12, 2010 2:29 pm UTC

Well. About half a dozen episodes ago, I was convinced entirely that they'd set up 'bad guy' versus 'good guy', even if the good guy wasn't entirely good (I was, I still am, hoping for the Losties to Take A Third Option.)

But this episode ('across the sea', I guess I should say for future reference) makes me take that back. Now I could believe again that they might pull a switcheroo and have the baddie turn out as the goodie in the end.

Everything else they've done in S6 leaves it still beyond unlikely, but it's nice to think the possibility is still there.
The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:I believe that everything can and must be joked about.
Hawknc wrote:I like to think that he hasn't left, he's just finally completed his foe list.

Christo

Postby Christo » Wed May 12, 2010 7:46 pm UTC

Let me say upfront that I'm a huge fan of Allison Janey, but did anyone else think that the acting this episode was more than a little stilted? The whole thing felt kind of forced to me.

Oh yeah, and did anyone notice how Allison Janey said that Claudia is a "nice name." She's probably most famous for playing a character named Claudia Jean on The West Wing. I caught that only because I'm a huge West Wing fan. Are there a lot of weird nuances to the show like that that I usually miss, and--if so--what's the point of them?

crowey

Postby crowey » Wed May 12, 2010 8:48 pm UTC

Spoiler:
so, now we know how Jacob and MIB got to the island. Who was the woman who killed their mother and how did she get there?
WTF is the light?
Still no explaination of the temple and stuff.

grah.

I feel a bit sorry for MIB and Jacob now.

Also, this is very funny, but contains spoilers if you're not up to date on episodes...

spupy

Postby spupy » Wed May 12, 2010 9:50 pm UTC

crowey wrote:
Spoiler:

Spoiler:
I would say that the temple was built around the light-cave. Remember that beneath the temple there is a system of tunnels. The tunnels lead to the chamber with a stone grid in it from which Smokey emerges. Perhaps that chamber is located above the light-cave, since Smokey first came out of the cave. Also, there might be a connection between the river that flows into the light-cave and the purifying pool in the temple.
There are two types of people in this world - those who can count to 10 by using their fingers, and those who can count to 1023 by using their fingers.

crowey

Postby crowey » Wed May 12, 2010 9:55 pm UTC

spupy wrote:
crowey wrote:
Spoiler:

Spoiler:
I would say that the temple was built around the light-cave. Remember that beneath the temple there is a system of tunnels. The tunnels lead to the chamber with a stone grid in it from which Smokey emerges. Perhaps that chamber is located above the light-cave, since Smokey first came out of the cave. Also, there might be a connection between the river that flows into the light-cave and the purifying pool in the temple.

good point.

Lazar
Landed Gentry

Postby Lazar » Wed May 12, 2010 9:57 pm UTC

Christo wrote:Let me say upfront that I'm a huge fan of Allison Janey, but did anyone else think that the acting this episode was more than a little stilted? The whole thing felt kind of forced to me.

Spoiler:
Not her fault, but her American-accented Latin in the opening scene totally killed my suspension of disbelief. Also, I spent too much time thinking about the developmental implications of the children growing up with no peers (and later, how the hell Jacob occupied his time over the unseen 30-year period) when I should have been thinking about the story.

As a general point, I dislike it when shows attempt to cover a many-years-long story in just a handful of scenes that only dwell on one plotline, while throwing in paltry bits of world-building or character-building as an afterthought. I thought the Richard Alpert origin ep was decent (maybe something to do with the fact that it only had a scope of a few months), but this one seemed like a great big overreach, not nearly as fleshed out as it ought to have been.

Return to “Movies and TV Shows”