The Great Recommendation Thread (Movie, TV, Anime, Cartoon)

Rot your brains, then rot our boards

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Re: The Great Recommendation Thread (Movie, TV, Anime, Cartoon)

Postby poxic » Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:24 am UTC

On the internet, no one knows you're not a troll! Or something like that. I don't meme good.
TEAM SHIVAHN
Pretty much the best team ever

I hope Heaven has a periscope to Hell, because humans are really only happy relative to other humans.
- Zach Weinersmith

trpmb6

Postby trpmb6 » Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:10 pm UTC

I go through these phases in life where I start to think about reliving things I enjoyed in the past. One is re-reading the sword of truth series by Terry Goodkind every couple of years. Usually this is due to an absence of any good things to read at the time. Lately Goodkind has been releasing a new book every year so I haven't been extremely disappointed in this realm.

Lately I've been having a craving for a good sci-fy show. Nothing is really peaking my interest right now.

Someone convince me against binge watching some Stargate SG1, followed by Atlantis followed by Universe. I honestly don't have the time to dedicate to that kind of binge watching and I'm one of those people who will sit down to watch one episode at 9pm and then all of a sudden it's 6am and time to go to work.

So in that spirit; are there any good sci fy shows going right now that are worth their salt that I for some reason haven't heard of? Bonus points if you can get my wife on board (Good luck with that, she'd be perfectly happy watching her pretty little liars crap).

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.
Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Postby Angua » Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:19 pm UTC

Charlie Jade? South African series or mini series - only one season. It's not current but you won't have to spend that long binge watching.
'Look, sir, I know Angua. She's not the useless type. She doesn't stand there and scream helplessly. She makes other people do that.'
GNU Terry Pratchett

seagotry

Re: The Great Recommendation Thread (Movie, TV, Anime, Carto

Postby seagotry » Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:02 am UTC

modularblues wrote:Planet Earth: The Complete Series (BBC production) Stunning footages of nature. And awesome soundtrack to boot. Currently watching the whole thing on DVD.

Couldn't agree more. It's also one of my best documentary series I've ever seen and the narration by David Attenborough is just the best. I think they also released a sequel Planet Earth II. But it's only 6 episodes.

Grop

Postby Grop » Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:21 pm UTC

I have just seen the Net, a Korean movie from last year. It's a sort of dramatic comedy in which a fisherman from North Korea accidently enters South Korea, is caught by their security, and suspected of being a spy. He obviously wants to avoid being corrupted by anti-communist shenanigans, and to go home (where his wife and daughter are), but he can't: the security agents want to either prove that he is a spy, or convince him to stay in South Korea.

What I liked is how it questions things that we (and apparently South Koreans) take for granted. That North Koreans should necessarily want to be freed from their regime. That, if they don't want that, that would be due to some brainwashing therefore their opinion should be discarded (are they children ?). Also, while I used the word comedy, mostly because this guy has incredible bad luck that would belong in comedy (unlike the consequences) and due to much irony, this movie is quite dark. But I thought it was very entertaining.

Raidri

Re: The Great Recommendation Thread (Movie, TV, Anime, Carto

Postby Raidri » Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:32 am UTC

seagotry wrote:
modularblues wrote:Planet Earth: The Complete Series (BBC production) Stunning footages of nature. And awesome soundtrack to boot. Currently watching the whole thing on DVD.

Couldn't agree more. It's also one of my best documentary series I've ever seen and the narration by David Attenborough is just the best. I think they also released a sequel Planet Earth II. But it's only 6 episodes.

There is also a sequel to the similar Blue Planet series currently running on BBC: Blue Planet II. It is also narrated by David Attenborough and has very nice underwater footage.

Grop

Postby Grop » Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:13 pm UTC

Seen On Body and Soul, a Hungarian movie from this year. I can't tell* when it may be screened in countries other than mine, but that was good. Not the awesomest movie ever, but quite watchable and interesting and since we don't watch Hungarian movies every day (and I think we should be curious about movies from other places/cultures), I thought I would post about it.

There was some uncensored nudity, which after reading the Blade Runner thread might be labelled as gratuitous.

* like I couldn't when I posted earlier about that Korean movie two posts ago; I would be interested if there was some nice way to know when what movie is screened everywhere, other than its wikipedia entry.

Grop

Postby Grop » Fri Dec 08, 2017 6:41 pm UTC

Would you guys recommend My Cousin Rachel (the 2017 movie)? I think I am going to the theater tomorrow, and I am not decided yet on what I will watch. This one has apparently a very limited distribution in my country.

Edit: I eventually went and liked it.

Return to “Movies and TV Shows”