Hairy otter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1 (Spoilers!)

Rot your brains, then rot our boards

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

rheakith

Hairy otter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1 (Spoilers!)

Postby rheakith » Fri Nov 19, 2010 12:34 pm UTC

So what did everyone think of the latest addition to the series? I personally thought that it was one of the best movie to book adaptations yet. No major plot holes like some of the other ones and they even
Spoiler:
made sure the wedding made its way in, even though Fleur wasn't around the last 2 movies and the last battle never happened in 6, so Bill's injury wasn't really explained
There were quite a few lines that were very close, if not directly taken from the novel, which I appreciate, as they were some of the better ones.

Minor issues I had with it:

Spoiler:
The whole camping around the countryside part seemed really rushed to me. It was summer and then 10 minutes later it was Christmas, even though in the book they went to quite a few places in between. I realize that it would have been boring to put everything in, but they really seemed to jump straight from major plot point to major plot point far too often, like when they skipped the entire planning phase for the Ministry infiltration.

They never made the connection that Griphook was Griphook, he was just some goblin, which upset me, as I thought he was quite the awesome character in The Sorcerer's Stone.

Harry and Ginny still never had the talk about how she couldn't go with him. It happened at the end of book 6, just after Dumbledore's funeral, which also was never included in the movie, but they still just sort of carried on like they were dating, and then they never talked about it.

Twice when Harry was supposed to be hidden by polyjuice (at the wedding and then in Godric's Hallow) they just sort of skipped it or made an excuse not to, even though the whole point of it was to keep him hidden.

I really, really enjoyed the animation that accompanied the story of the Three Brothers, it was a nice change of pace from just straight dialogue and it was really well done. Overall, the movie was very pretty and quite well filmed. From the sweeping cinematic shots to the chase scenes, everything, to me at least, seemed well done.

Midnight

Re: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1 (Spoilers!)

Postby Midnight » Fri Nov 19, 2010 6:01 pm UTC

It made wizards badass.
Seriously, when they were in the diner, it reminded me of a Clint Eastwood gunfight.

Most lines, and pretty much every major line/punchline was deeerect from the novel, which is awesome, because Rowling is really hilarious.
Spoiler:
-The camping didn't seem rushed to me. That was a lull in the book, and they can't afford to lull. They gotta be moving with the quickness, and I thought it was paced excellently. All the different locations of the tent and stuff--it definitely didn't cut straight from summer to christmas. It was a montage, for sure, that condensed everything up as much as it could be, but it wasn't rushed, to me.
-The Griphook connexion is gonna happen at the very start of part 2. Right after the burial, they start talking to him. They didn't cover it in the prison, but they can easssily do it in part 2.
-Eh. That ain't that important, y'know? It's like... the audience sort of gets it, and it's not important enough anyways. Same with polyjuice at the wedding. It would've added at least a moment of exposition, and they don't have time for that.
-I'm not sure if he was supposed to be hidden in Godric's Hollow. That's why she has the line about "we should've used polyjuice" but that could've just been a deft acknowledgement of the book.

At first I didn't think the animation was gonna be cool, but then Death appeared and it was SO FUCKING COOL.
But yeah. The difference between the first movie (cheap-looking effects, child actors, the parents'-death-reenactment--which was really cheesy) and this movie (grit. good acting. badass magic. people dying left and right) is incredible. Same with the books, but these later movies are really taking it to 11.
Which is cool. I like how they're enhancing the facist stuff; that was always there in the books, but a little kid wouldn't pick up on it. A little kid definitely would pick up on it in this movie, yet it wasn't heavy-handed.
uhhhh fuck.

PatrickRsGhost

Postby PatrickRsGhost » Sat Nov 20, 2010 1:41 am UTC

Will be seeing it tomorrow with a couple of friends. We hadn't seen a Harry Potter movie together since the second one came out.

In regards to one point in the plot:

rheakith wrote:
Spoiler:
They never made the connection that Griphook was Griphook, he was just some goblin, which upset me, as I thought he was quite the awesome character in The Sorcerer's Stone.

Midnight wrote:
Spoiler:
The Griphook connexion is gonna happen at the very start of part 2. Right after the burial, they start talking to him. They didn't cover it in the prison, but they can easssily do it in part 2.

Spoiler:
Having not yet seen the movie, I'm going to guess that they don't mention Griphook by name in either Part 1 nor possibly Part 2, since in the first movie, the goblins' names were never given, except during the end credits. All that was said between them and the wizards was Hagrid announcing that Harry wanted to make a withdrawal, then giving the goblin at the desk (Griphook) a note from Dumbledore about the Philosopher's/Sorcerer's Stone in one of the vaults, and the goblin driving the cart, announcing their arrival to Harry's vault and the other vault, along with asking for the lamp and key to Harry's vault, and warning them to stand back as he opened the vault holding the Stone. I think they did it this way, and will continue in Part 2, for those who have chosen not to read the books, but rather just watch the movies.
PRG

An important message for you:

DreadArchon

Postby DreadArchon » Sat Nov 20, 2010 11:27 pm UTC

Whee, fun. I haven't read the book since it came out, but there were no omissions egregious enough for me to notice, which is an improvement (#6 getting rid of the castle battle bothered me).

Someone made a comment about the place they chose to end it before I saw the movie, so I expected it to be a really brutal cliffhanger. The actual ending felt like a natural break point, though, which I liked.

I liked the bits in the book about Expelliarmus being Harry's signature spell, and I liked the parts in the book where it was first revealed that Voldemort could fly and everyone was freaking out about it, and didn't we learn by this point that Voldemort managed to properly curse his name? Still, those are minor issues, nothing like removing a protracted battle between Death Eaters and Dumbledore's Army (#6).

apricity
almost grown-up but not quite

Postby apricity » Sun Nov 21, 2010 12:33 am UTC

I loved how they did the overall movie. It definitely kept to the spirit of the book more than any of the other movies have. Specific comments:
Spoiler:
-I loved pretty much every extra that they added beyond the book. George walking in during Harry and Ginny's kiss. Harry dancing with Hermione (I love how it showed a functional male/female friendship without making them kiss or anything). Ron seeing the spiders and hearing his mother's voice when he fought the Horcrux (awesome to show that he has a bit more depth than just being Hermione's love interest). Dobby's last scene was awesome, valiant, and made me really like him.
-What they took out was generally fine by me. I thought the scene with fake-Bathilda was good and much less confusing than how they did it in the book.
-The bits where Harry sees people in his mind were really jumbled though, and I wish they'd been a bit clearer because if I hadn't read the book I wouldn't have had a clue what was going on. Also, at the Death Eater meeting in the beginning, I hated when Voldemort laughed and spoke so normally. It made me take him much less seriously, and I wish they'd done something to make him seem scarier even to his followers because he's supposed to rule by fear.
-The only parts they left out that I really would have liked to see were Ginny and Harry talking about breaking up (the "I have to protect you!" was a bit bullshit to me in the book, but it at least would have explained why they didn't even attempt to bring Ginny when they left and why Harry never said anything about her); Dudley saying goodbye to Harry at the beginning; and the monument to Harry and his family in Godric's Hollow that was covered in graffiti urging him on. That last was especially meaningful to me, and they had plenty of time to add it in during the graveyard scene and when they looked at the house later, and it is so upbeat and hopeful, and I just don't know why in the world they decided to leave it out.

DreadArchon wrote:Someone made a comment about the place they chose to end it before I saw the movie, so I expected it to be a really brutal cliffhanger. The actual ending felt like a natural break point, though, which I liked.

I liked the bits in the book about Expelliarmus being Harry's signature spell, and I liked the parts in the book where it was first revealed that Voldemort could fly and everyone was freaking out about it, and didn't we learn by this point that Voldemort managed to properly curse his name? Still, those are minor issues, nothing like removing a protracted battle between Death Eaters and Dumbledore's Army (#6).
Spoiler:
I liked the break point too. I had expected them to end it before Ron returned and I'm glad they didn't leave that as the cliffhanger. As for the curse, yes, I think we were supposed to learn about it right when Ron returned. But Xenophilius called them by saying the name, so I'm hoping they'll figure it out in the next part.
LE4d wrote:have you considered becoming an electron

it takes just a little practice to learn to be
(she/her/hers)

rheakith

Postby rheakith » Sun Nov 21, 2010 3:10 am UTC

On forgetting things:
Spoiler:
Another part that I had forgotten that they had removed was the whole radio station bit where they get to hear about everything that's going on at Hogwarts and with the Order.

And for the ending,
Spoiler:
I had already heard that that was when they were going to end it, but I think it worked out well. I'm not sure where else they could have done it without making it much longer (like after the Gringotts break in) or much shorter (before the scene at the Malfoy's)

Obby

Postby Obby » Sun Nov 21, 2010 4:30 am UTC

Just saw it this evening, and by far is this the best book adaptation. Some notes (lots of notes...):

Spoiler:
- I agree with whoever said they loved everything they added that wasn't in the book. The quirky comedy bits really did a great job at breaking down the gritty atmosphere temporarily, and complemented them perfectly.
- I was slightly disappointed with the Dursley's departure, because I thought that the book ended that bit of Harry's life quite nicely. It seemed a little unceremonious to just have a 15 second bit of them packing the car in the first two minutes of the film, I think, and would have liked to see that bit of closure.
- The beginning scene with the seven Potters was also underdeveloped, but I understand why. They had to move fast through the exposition because exposition is boring in movies. I really wish they could have put in the bit about there being seven different locations that Harry could potentially be going to, but again, I understand. Exposition, plus the addition of Mr. and Mrs. Tonks and an explanation of who they are would have been required. Still, the scene of terror as Harry thinks that Hagrid has been killed would have added a fuckload more tension to that entire sequence, since Hagrid is such a central figure to the story in both the books and the movies.
- Hedwig's death felt rushed, but it was rushed in the book as well, and I liked the change to it that they did. At least she grabbed a Death Eater with her.
- The wedding and the aftermath was done almost perfectly. The only thing missing was the polyjuice potion for Harry, other than that it was pretty much exactly how I imagined it when reading the books.
- Wizard shootout in a deli restaurant. Bad. Effing. Ass.
- The planning stage was necessary in the book, but I'm glad they cut it out for the most part. Showing us what they are going to be doing twice wouldn't really make sense in the movie (once during planning, and again when it actually happens).
- It would have been really nice if they included the bit about Tonks being pregnant from the beginning, and then shown Harry and Lupin's confrontation in Grimauld Place over Lupin's attempted abandonment of that child. It's a critical scene in the book for Lupin.
- The Ministry section was slightly underdeveloped, but it was only minor stuff that was changed. Harry's polyjuice victim was supposed to be a rather important higher up, but they made him seem like something of a nobody.
- That stupid, stupid, STUPID fucking change to how apparition works. It's not a temporary portal, you can't jump through (or throw a dagger through for that matter) someone else's apparition field or whatever the hell it was supposed to be. There needs to be contact for something to be brought along.
- The montage of them traveling to different areas was done quite well. That part of the book had almost no major plot points advanced, other than showing the growing rift between the three of them, which was handled effectively in the movie in other ways.
- The graffiti support on the sign in front of Harry's house would have been a very simple and incredibly powerful image in the movie. It really should have been in there, even if it was only for 5 seconds.
- I didn't really like how they handled Harry's visions of Voldemort. If I hadn't read the books, I would've had no idea what the hell those parts were about.
- I get why they cut it (it's ultimately not that important towards the overall story), but I really, really wish they had put some time in to developing Dumbledore's life before Harry and how Harry finds all this out. Showing Dumbledore's weaknesses and Harry's doubt in his idol would have really added a fantastic layer to the movie, and also explained who Grindelwald was (since he's never been mentioned before this as far as I can recall). Of course, they may cover the entire thing in one block with a conversation with Aberforth in the second part, so I may be a little overeager here.
- The entire scene with the locket and Ron's return was done absolutely perfectly, I think. Harry's journey away from the tent, the sword, the locket's murder attempt,, Ron's return, the ghastly locket's smoke stuff, the perfect ghost versions of Harry and Hermione (yes, even the naked part, which my girlfriend hated and thought was unnecessary), the destruction of the locket... Absolutely, astoundingly well done.
- I'm not really sure how I feel yet about the fight at the Malfoy mansion. I was thinking about it for a while that they didn't cover enough of the plot points in order to justify breaking into Gringott's, but really, they did, and it wasn't immediately obvious to me. The important part was the whole scene with the hair falling on Hermione's face as she lay on the floor. At first I really had no idea why they even showed that and thought it was completely unnecessary, until I started thinking about the next movie and realized that that would be the framework for the polyjuice potion plot.
- Dobby's death was done brilliantly. His lines in the Malfoy mansion were great, and I thought that was a nice change from the book. His death scene was touching, and you really feel Harry's agony here. Some girl behind me in the theater was bawling her eyes out the entire time, and she wasn't the only one.

Whew... Overall, fantastic, fantastic adaptation. I find myself wishing this director would go back and re-do the other movies that he didn't do, because it really felt like he was trying to get the movies back to the books, and he really succeeded on that front here.
The story so far:
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.

infernovia

Postby infernovia » Sun Nov 21, 2010 8:43 am UTC

Was enjoyable. Reminded how immensely naive the series can be with the the lack of any heroics (ministry of magic especially). A few things:

A lot of references to older movies. The Pianist, etc. Very heavy handed though. I liked the desolation scenes too, had some great scenery and great set pieces. Liked the wand battles and due to the complete copy of gunfights. Liked the CGI'd creatures too, was impressed by their facial features. Some very sporadic scenes though due to the nature of the movie, as beautiful as they might be.

Overall, was an ok film.

Cinead

Postby Cinead » Sun Nov 21, 2010 10:01 am UTC

I found it rather enjoyable, one of the better ones of the series definately.

As I shouldn't really have to repeat what everyone else has already said, what they added worked really well, and what they removed for the most part helped keep it flowing. There's some bits though that they should've kept in, or done better, but given just how huge the thing is it's understandable that it will not be perfect, but it did a pretty damn good job.

I think it's greatest accomplishment was the ability for it to feel fresh and entertaining, even though for most of us we already know what is going to happen.

Oh, and looking at the book, there's not much left, meaning
Spoiler:
Most of the last movie will be the gringotts break in, and the final battle. Oooh yeah

Microscopic cog
in his catastrophic plan

Postby Microscopic cog » Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:12 am UTC

Guys, guys, guys.

Something important. The song Hermione and Harry dance to in the tent is now labeled as "Harry potter dance song" on Youtube.

NICK CAVE DID NOT DESERVE THIS.
Spoiler:
Interviewer: Some people say they can’t understand your writing even after they read it two or three times. What approach would you suggest for them?

William Faulkner: Read it four times.

Obby

Postby Obby » Sun Nov 21, 2010 1:48 pm UTC

Microscopic cog wrote:Guys, guys, guys.

Something important. The song Hermione and Harry dance to in the tent is now labeled as "Harry potter dance song" on Youtube.

NICK CAVE DID NOT DESERVE THIS.

He probably deserved the chunk of cash he got for it, though.
The story so far:
This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.

PatrickRsGhost

Postby PatrickRsGhost » Sun Nov 21, 2010 6:57 pm UTC

Well I saw the movie yesterday with a couple of friends, and I must say it's the best adaptation ever.

Spoiler:
I think the best part was the animation sequence for the Tale of the Three Brothers.

Was it me, or did Death in the story look almost like General Grievous from Star Wars: The Clone Wars?

PRG

Lucrece

Postby Lucrece » Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:08 am UTC

It was pretty awesome. The actress that plays Bellatrix does it so stupidly well.

Ron's actor is also pretty good, since I wanted to punch him in the face nearly as much as I did in the book. Seriously, I am always surprised just at how much shit Hermione will take from him in the later books when they hook up and he grows into such a pest.

Spoiler:
I was miffed about the lack of inclusion of Dumbledore's storyline, particularly Grinderwald.

A large part of the book was dedicated toward exposing Dumbledore as a character, and just seeing Voldemort show up and have a chat out of nowhere with Grinderwald was disappointing.

Snape was so sexy in the entrance scene. That hairstyle suits him well, and he is so tastefully depicted in all his severe glory.

Voldemort is kinda funny though with the "kid, get in the van; I got candy!" creepy voice.
Belial wrote:That's charming, Nancy, but all I hear when you talk is a bunch of yippy dog sounds.

apricity

Postby apricity » Mon Nov 22, 2010 7:47 am UTC

I've just remembered my favorite part. I don't remember if it was in the book. Everyone in the theater was cracking up though.
Spoiler:
[Hermione's telling the story of the Hallows]
Hermione: ...it was twilight.
Ron: Midnight! My mum always said midnight.
Hermione: The story says twilight.
Ron: Oh, er, twilight's fine. Better, actually.

(I said "NOT" to my sister really loudly and the people in front of me turned around and grinned.)

(she/her/hers)

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby Felstaff » Mon Nov 22, 2010 5:33 pm UTC

I hated it! Kids can't act fo' shit. Maybe Ron can, but Harry & Hermione are, again, terribly wooden

Also. Fucking Dobby ex Machina.

And the whole film was spent wandering pointlessly around a forest. It dragged! Horrendously! Even naked writhing with the posh girl and the speccy twat couldn't save that yawnfest.
Away, you scullion! you rampallion! You fustilarian! I'll tickle your catastrophe.

PatrickRsGhost

Postby PatrickRsGhost » Mon Nov 22, 2010 6:31 pm UTC

lanicita wrote:I've just remembered my favorite part. I don't remember if it was in the book. Everyone in the theater was cracking up though.
Spoiler:
[Hermione's telling the story of the Hallows]
Hermione: ...it was twilight.
Ron: Midnight! My mum always said midnight.
Hermione: The story says twilight.
Ron: Oh, er, twilight's fine. Better, actually.

(I said "NOT" to my sister really loudly and the people in front of me turned around and grinned.)

Spoiler:
It was in the book. Ron had corrected Hermione, saying his mom always said midnight, and he thought it was much spookier.
PRG

infernovia

Postby infernovia » Tue Nov 23, 2010 1:04 am UTC

I agree with Felstaff. I would rate this 2/5. 3/5 for not being a complete time drain like the other ones (hey, I actually did find it enjoyable), but that might be due to the quality of the company. I facepalmed so many times.

Zarq

Postby Zarq » Tue Nov 23, 2010 2:02 am UTC

I thought the movie was really silent. Half of the movie, there was no sound at all. No dialogue, no background music, nothing. It was the first I clearly heard somebody coughing in a movie theatre.
I quite enjoyed the movie. A lot better than the last one.
And the Dobby-ex-machina is way better explained in the book.
You rang?

"It is better to shit yourself, than to die of constipation." - Some picture on reddit

Midnight

Postby Midnight » Tue Nov 23, 2010 8:39 pm UTC

Felstaff wrote:I hated it! Kids can't act fo' shit. Maybe Ron can, but Harry & Hermione are, again, terribly wooden

Also. Fucking Dobby ex Machina.

And the whole film was spent wandering pointlessly around a forest. It dragged! Horrendously! Even naked writhing with the posh girl and the speccy twat couldn't save that yawnfest.

trollin' hard or hardly trolling?

Or is it just a problem with the seventh book... where there's a lot of forest-wandering and dobby being an utter badass?
They set the power of house-elves up better in the book, cause Kreacher better explained how he acquired the locket. The general idea, only alluded to, is that Voldemort (being an arrogant prick) doesn't ward any of his property for house-elf magic cause he thinks they're so far beneath him.
uhhhh fuck.

Yakk
Poster with most posts but no title.

Postby Yakk » Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:12 pm UTC

Spoiler:
- The Ministry section was slightly underdeveloped, but it was only minor stuff that was changed. Harry's polyjuice victim was supposed to be a rather important higher up, but they made him seem like something of a nobody.

Everyone responded to Harry as if he was a big-wig, sort of surprised he was there. And knew him by name.
- That stupid, stupid, STUPID fucking change to how apparition works. It's not a temporary portal, you can't jump through (or throw a dagger through for that matter) someone else's apparition field or whatever the hell it was supposed to be. There needs to be contact for something to be brought along.

It just isn't instant. The knife landed before the spell finished.
- The entire scene with the locket and Ron's return was done absolutely perfectly, I think. Harry's journey away from the tent, the sword, the locket's murder attempt,, Ron's return, the ghastly locket's smoke stuff, the perfect ghost versions of Harry and Hermione (yes, even the naked part, which my girlfriend hated and thought was unnecessary), the destruction of the locket... Absolutely, astoundingly well done.

So you are on watch. With the only wand. And you see something strange.

What do you do? You wake up the person you are guarding.

You don't wander off randomly to follow the strange magical thing, even if it looks friendly, leaving the sleeping ally behind.

And you don't get undressed, drop your wand, and jump into ice water.

And you don't go off and get the thing you are questing for while you leave your stalwart ally sleeping. I mean, some quest etiquette?
One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision - BR

Last edited by JHVH on Fri Oct 23, 4004 BCE 6:17 pm, edited 6 times in total.

PeterCai

Postby PeterCai » Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:38 pm UTC

Voldermort reminds me of this guy

Obby

Postby Obby » Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:54 pm UTC

Yakk wrote:It just isn't instant. The knife landed before the spell finished.

That's how it's supposed to be, yes. That wasn't how it was shown, though. In the Ministry, they show Yaxley jumping through the little portal thing that gets created after the three of them have already gone through. In the Malfoy mansion, the knife goes through the portal after they have already left as well. In the book, there is no portal, you either grab on to or attach something to the person before they finish apparating in order to be pulled along.

So you are on watch. With the only wand. And you see something strange.

What do you do? You wake up the person you are guarding.

You don't wander off randomly to follow the strange magical thing, even if it looks friendly, leaving the sleeping ally behind.

And you don't get undressed, drop your wand, and jump into ice water.

And you don't go off and get the thing you are questing for while you leave your stalwart ally sleeping. I mean, some quest etiquette?

I was more referring to how it compares with how it was shown in the book. I agree, Harry was retarded, but that scene happened pretty much just as I imagined to have happened in the book.
The story so far:

keozen
The Bearded FaiD Batman

Postby keozen » Wed Nov 24, 2010 1:10 pm UTC

The one thing I can't believe I haven't seen mentioned yet is how they really sorted out the House Elf CGI. Dobby & Kreacher looked ruddy amazing compared to how they had done before. Dobby especially. I hardly wanted to punch him in the face at all this time around.

Adacore

Postby Adacore » Fri Nov 26, 2010 8:54 pm UTC

It was pretty good - certainly the best Potter movie (so far), by a fair margin. Most of the comments have already been made, and I agree, in general.

One thing that hasn't been raised yet: I always thought Hermione's line about how she had to wipe her parents' memories was the most poignant concept in the book, so I loved that they showed it in the film. It was the only part of the film that made me cry, the first 90 seconds :oops:

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Sun Nov 28, 2010 12:46 am UTC

Glech. So much of this story moves ahead via StoryTime logic, and Harry is still the most unsympathetic protagonist I've ever seen in a tale. I love the world, and it's great fun, but jeez, the series really just ought to be called "Harry Potter Whines and Hopes His Friends Bail Him Out"
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Postby Jesse » Sun Nov 28, 2010 1:42 am UTC

All Luke Skywalker did was whine and complain and have his friends bail him out too.

Midnight

Postby Midnight » Sun Nov 28, 2010 3:10 am UTC

Alright, so obviously Hermione is the best spell-caster and Ron's just there for manpower, but you gotta give Harry credit. As alluded to many times, he's got the most guts out of any of them.
uhhhh fuck.

Levi

Postby Levi » Sun Nov 28, 2010 5:00 am UTC

My memories of the movie seem pretty fragmented even though I watched it just a few hours ago, but I'm pretty sure Harry actually tried to do stuff; it's just that his friends still had to bail him out, which I don't see as a problem since half the story seems to be about friendship.

Zarq

Postby Zarq » Sun Nov 28, 2010 12:53 pm UTC

Jesse wrote:All Luke Skywalker did was whine and complain and have his friends bail him out too.

Luke - Han - Leia

Harry - Ron - Hermione

Hmmm...

(Don't know who Chewbacca is. Dobby? Hagrid?)
You rang?

"It is better to shit yourself, than to die of constipation." - Some picture on reddit

PatrickRsGhost

Postby PatrickRsGhost » Sun Nov 28, 2010 2:11 pm UTC

Zarq wrote:
Jesse wrote:All Luke Skywalker did was whine and complain and have his friends bail him out too.

Luke - Han - Leia

Harry - Ron - Hermione

Hmmm...

(Don't know who Chewbacca is. Dobby? Hagrid?)

Not sure. I'd have to guess Obi Wan to be Dumbledore.

Akbar would have to be either Lupin or Mad-Eye Moody.
PRG

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Sun Nov 28, 2010 2:23 pm UTC

True to some extent, but we see Luke take a far greater role in his own destiny, as well as mastering his craft to a much more extensive degree, than we ever really see of Harry. I think.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

Obby

Postby Obby » Sun Nov 28, 2010 4:09 pm UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:True to some extent, but we see Luke take a far greater role in his own destiny, as well as mastering his craft to a much more extensive degree, than we ever really see of Harry. I think.

That might be true in the movies, but Harry becomes much more into his own in the books than is portrayed in the movies. Harry is supposed to be a competent wizard by the seventh book, he's just inexperienced. You see the same thing in the real world, 16 and 17 year old kids who are capable enough, but just don't have the experience to know how to handle some situations. Harry fits that, it's just the circumstances he's been thrown into are far beyond even what most older folks have been faced with.
The story so far:

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Sun Nov 28, 2010 8:34 pm UTC

I disagree actually; while I admit I don't have a stellar recollection of the book, I do remember finishing and sort of rolling my eyes how after all that, after about 10 years of reading about that kid, I still felt his modus operandi was sort of rushing into issues without thinking and hoping things work out in his favor. Thanks to his friends and pure luck, they do.

Midnight

Postby Midnight » Sun Nov 28, 2010 11:49 pm UTC

No... in the next half of the book he ends up doing some of that, but he also has as pretty solid plan. Is his plan directly influenced by the xanatos gambit of Dumbledore? Yeah, but he doesn't entirely know that, and he keeps a pretty cool head.
uhhhh fuck.

apricity

Postby apricity » Mon Nov 29, 2010 3:09 am UTC

Adacore wrote:One thing that hasn't been raised yet: I always thought Hermione's line about how she had to wipe her parents' memories was the most poignant concept in the book, so I loved that they showed it in the film. It was the only part of the film that made me cry, the first 90 seconds :oops:
Augh me too. I was ready to cry but I made myself stop because I figured if I started I would be crying for the whole movie.

(she/her/hers)

Levi

Postby Levi » Mon Nov 29, 2010 5:39 am UTC

That scene made me sad too, but it was more of an angry sad. Why she had to do it wasn't really explained, so she did something terrible and irreversible for apparently no reason. I think it set the tone for the movie (or at least the beginning) really well, though.

PatrickRsGhost

Postby PatrickRsGhost » Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:42 am UTC

Levi wrote:That scene made me sad too, but it was more of an angry sad. Why she had to do it wasn't really explained, so she did something terrible and irreversible for apparently no reason. I think it set the tone for the movie (or at least the beginning) really well, though.

Spoiler:
I think what really set the tone was the closeup of Scrimgeour's face, and then when the camera pans out, we see his entire face as he's addressing the wizarding community through the Daily Prophet. While he tries to assure the wizarding community that the Ministry has everything under control and is doing all they can, you could see and hear the fear in his face and voice. It made me very scared and worried as well. Everybody knew what was happening. Everybody was scared shitless. Everybody was worried about what was to become, and no one knew. Everybody feared the worst.
PRG

Obby

Postby Obby » Mon Nov 29, 2010 12:55 pm UTC

Levi wrote:That scene made me sad too, but it was more of an angry sad. Why she had to do it wasn't really explained, so she did something terrible and irreversible for apparently no reason. I think it set the tone for the movie (or at least the beginning) really well, though.

I don't know if you've read the book, but it's explained there that she knew they were going to leave at some point, and knew that the Death Eaters were going to try to use any means necessary to get at Harry and anyone working with him. So she wiped her parents' memory of her and made them move to Australia (or something to that effect). Ron's family was handled by putting pajamas on the ghoul that lives in their attic and then putting him in Ron's bed, making everyone think he's got spattergroit or something like that and thus giving him an excuse to not go to Hogwarts.
The story so far:

djkjr
Location: All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others.

Postby djkjr » Mon Nov 29, 2010 4:51 pm UTC

I went to see this with my girlfriend who never read the book. She enjoyed it, which is to say that I'm sure it was an enjoyable film outside of the novel. I'm not one of those to compare a movie adaptation in regards to the original format, because they are exactly that. Only adaptations.
Spoiler:
Needless to say, I was a little dissapointed that they didn't explain the whole "voldermort" name curse. It was represented in the movie, but they never explained that they had learned that the name was cursed. Harry starts saying "You know who again" and then, near the end, voldermort's name is called which leads to their capture. It was just a small detail that annoyed me, especially since they used it and didn't reall explain it.
War is Peace.
Freedom is Slavery.
Ignorance is Strength.

PatrickRsGhost

Postby PatrickRsGhost » Mon Nov 29, 2010 7:16 pm UTC

djkjr wrote:I went to see this with my girlfriend who never read the book. She enjoyed it, which is to say that I'm sure it was an enjoyable film outside of the novel. I'm not one of those to compare a movie adaptation in regards to the original format, because they are exactly that. Only adaptations.
Spoiler:
Needless to say, I was a little dissapointed that they didn't explain the whole "voldermort" name curse. It was represented in the movie, but they never explained that they had learned that the name was cursed. Harry starts saying "You know who again" and then, near the end, voldermort's name is called which leads to their capture. It was just a small detail that annoyed me, especially since they used it and didn't reall explain it.

Spoiler:
That annoyed me as well. When Ron returned in the book, he went into full detail about what has been going on on the outside. He talked about the Snatchers, who were hired goons to pick up Muggle-borns and anyone else who hadn't registered (more like bounty hunters), as well as Voldemort's name having been jinxed.
PRG

Return to “Movies and TV Shows”