:cry:

No more SZS. Ever.

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

Jack Saladin
X is kiss

Re: Go Away Dub Watchers: The Proper Anime Thread

Postby Jack Saladin » Mon Mar 16, 2009 7:41 pm UTC

Watch Maria+Holic. Same studio. Same shit.

PhoenixRider

Postby PhoenixRider » Mon Mar 16, 2009 10:30 pm UTC

New clues signaling Haruhi Suzumiya's new season coming out this spring instead of the reruns. It could be true, don't get your hopes up.

Also, I was wondering if the Gintama anime was better then the manga. Because I've read well into the manga and it's hilarious, just wondering if the anime is better or not.

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Mon Mar 16, 2009 10:49 pm UTC

Why would they expect anyone to believe them when they pulled that rerun shit?

Edit: So I've finally gotten around to watching Maria Holic properly. It started off pretty awesome, then Ep3. "Hint 5" made it FUCKING EPIC.
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
"Do you think games are silly little things?"
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
"Do you admit there is no meaning to this world?"
- > No

|Erasmus|
Branson

Postby |Erasmus| » Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:34 am UTC

I started watching season 2 of SZS again last night. I know i previously commented that I thought it seemed like it had a lot less of what made the first season awesome, but maybe it was just the first two episodes. (i took a break and watched a few others since i watched episode 2) because episode 3 was awesome.

I should probably check out maria+holic based on the comments so far on this page.

Jack Saladin
X is kiss

Postby Jack Saladin » Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:37 am UTC

Gelsamel wrote:Edit: So I've finally gotten around to watching Maria Holic properly. It started off pretty awesome, then Ep3. "Hint 5" made it FUCKING EPIC.
Every single Maria+Holic ep is twice as good as the one before it. I'm almost scared of how awesome it's going to end up.

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:40 am UTC

I'm upto 9 and for me that Hint 5 scene has been the best thing so far, but I've gotten used to SZS just being ALL jokes and it's kinda weird to see some sentimental story bits in there.
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
- > No

Jack Saladin
X is kiss

Postby Jack Saladin » Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:55 am UTC

So, uh, refresh my memory? Hint 5?

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:59 am UTC

Spoiler:
"Hint 5: It might not be from Earth" with ridiculously awesome effects
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
- > No

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Thu Mar 19, 2009 2:01 pm UTC

Jack Saladin wrote:So, uh, refresh my memory? Hint 5?

Hint 5 about what's in the bag.

Geekthras
3) What if it's delicious?

Postby Geekthras » Sun Mar 22, 2009 4:54 pm UTC

So somebody showed me Last Exile, or at least the first exile
Did any other people who know greek catch what the ship whose name started with dikaios was?

Well it took me a while but eventually I saw that it was
dikaios, -a, -ov
polew, -w
As in they copied the dictionary entry and didn't know that it had the feminine and neuter endings next to it
(it means something like plowing justice)
Wait. With a SPOON?!

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Sun Mar 22, 2009 8:58 pm UTC

It's Greek lettering, but I don't think it's supposed to be Greek language. If you notice, they have a capital sigma instead of a capital E on the word "East" on the compass.

PhoenixRider

Postby PhoenixRider » Wed Mar 25, 2009 5:51 pm UTC

i stopped watching FLCL after it's 2nd episode a year back. I don't exactly know why, so I'm going to re-watch the anime. I forgot that it had 6 episodes, should be fairly easy to get it over with.

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Wed Mar 25, 2009 7:47 pm UTC

Fooly Cooly is a fantastic anime. Even the English dub is good.

By the way, has anyone watched Origin: Spirits of the Past? I bought the DVD on impulse the other day having never heard of it before. It's actually pretty decent. The sound and visuals are spectacular (especially the opening), and the story isn't bad either - it's a bit worthy in places, but makes up for it elsewhere.

Xeio
Friends, Faidites, Countrymen

Postby Xeio » Thu Mar 26, 2009 12:31 am UTC

SlyReaper wrote:By the way, has anyone watched Origin: Spirits of the Past? I bought the DVD on impulse the other day having never heard of it before. It's actually pretty decent. The sound and visuals are spectacular (especially the opening), and the story isn't bad either - it's a bit worthy in places, but makes up for it elsewhere.
I'll have to watch this on hulu, I had it saved when they had it on the main page but didn't get around to watching more than the first minute or two.

Stormlock

Postby Stormlock » Fri Mar 27, 2009 11:13 pm UTC

Has anybody seen both the original Hellsing series and the new OAV's dubbed? I loved the dub for the series, but from the few clips I've seen in the OAVs it looks like they mangled the english script. Example: They changed a line where someone says "You can go to hell and while you're there, lick the devil's ass" to, "lick the devil's blood" which, yeah, they're vampires, but that just comes off REALLY stupidly in english. I'll probably end up watching the new ones either way, but I want to know if I can trust the dubbed version.
ImageImage

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Sat Mar 28, 2009 12:28 am UTC

I loved the series, but never got on with the OVA (it's OVA by the way, not OAV). I understand the OVA is more faithful to the manga, but having never read it, that makes no difference to me. It seemed like the characters were completely different, and while I cared about what happened to them in the series, I couldn't bring myself to care about the OVA characters. I watched both in English.

TL;DR: Hellsing series = good, Hellsing Ultimate = suck.

Stormlock

Postby Stormlock » Sat Mar 28, 2009 12:33 am UTC

The manga finished a while ago, and having read it, I'm dying to see it brought into animation. The ending of Hellsing pushed Alucard up into my top 3 badass characters of all time list. (The other two being Dekar from Lufia 2 and Kamina from Gurren Lagaan.)
ImageImage

|Erasmus|
Branson

Postby |Erasmus| » Sat Mar 28, 2009 1:54 am UTC

SlyReaper wrote:I loved the series, but never got on with the OVA (it's OVA by the way, not OAV). I understand the OVA is more faithful to the manga, but having never read it, that makes no difference to me. It seemed like the characters were completely different, and while I cared about what happened to them in the series, I couldn't bring myself to care about the OVA characters. I watched both in English.

I haven't watched either dubbed, but I did not enjoy what I saw of Hellsing Ultimate. I think the above is a pretty fair assessment.

Avelion

Postby Avelion » Sat Mar 28, 2009 2:25 am UTC

SlyReaper wrote:I loved the series, but never got on with the OVA (it's OVA by the way, not OAV). I understand the OVA is more faithful to the manga, but having never read it, that makes no difference to me. It seemed like the characters were completely different, and while I cared about what happened to them in the series, I couldn't bring myself to care about the OVA characters. I watched both in English.

I'm afraid you've given me a headache. The original anime warranted a meh at best. The story made no sense, the animation wasn't great, and the characters had no depth. The episodes to come in the OVA are going to redefine epic.
"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana." -Cory Doctorow

Stormlock

Postby Stormlock » Sat Mar 28, 2009 2:44 am UTC

For the story to make sense they would have had to COMPLETELY butcher it. 13 episodes is about enough to detail a simple parable, not flesh out an epic story.

I mean, sure, they could have focused more on the characters and story, but then there'd have been like what, 1 fight between two characters lasting 2 minutes in the whole series?
ImageImage

Avelion

Postby Avelion » Sat Mar 28, 2009 3:03 am UTC

Stormlock wrote:For the story to make sense they would have had to COMPLETELY butcher it. 13 episodes is about enough to detail a simple parable, not flesh out an epic story.

I mean, sure, they could have focused more on the characters and story, but then there'd have been like what, 1 fight between two characters lasting 2 minutes in the whole series?

I disagree. FLCL managed several fairly long fights and tons of character depth along with a decently fleshed out story and they did it in only 6 episodes.

Jack Saladin
X is kiss

Postby Jack Saladin » Sat Mar 28, 2009 3:37 am UTC

SlyReaper wrote:(it's OVA by the way, not OAV)
Protip: Both are correct. Original Video Animation and Original Animated Video.

Avelion wrote:
Stormlock wrote:For the story to make sense they would have had to COMPLETELY butcher it. 13 episodes is about enough to detail a simple parable, not flesh out an epic story.

I disagree. FLCL managed several fairly long fights and tons of character depth along with a decently fleshed out story and they did it in only 6 episodes.
Plenty of really great shows have wrapped up in 13 episodes or less. Hell, probably most have. Running time is no excuse for something sucking.

And I'm pretty sure these "movie" things have caught on recently, and they're significantly shorter than 13 episodes worth of running time (that being over 5 hours).

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Sat Mar 28, 2009 3:45 am UTC

Damn Jack, you said two of the three things that I was just about to say, the last being that Hellsing Ultimate > Hellsing Series. Unless ultimate decides to turn to total shit later on.
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
- > No

Stormlock

Postby Stormlock » Sat Mar 28, 2009 5:39 am UTC

Those plenty of really great shows generally aren't based on manga 10 times longer than them. (FLCL wasn't even a manga to begin with) You can't just convert the first 5% of a story into a self contained story that makes sense without any other context, unless you butcher it so that it no longer matches the story it is drawn from anyways. I mean, can you imagine trying to make a miniseries on spiderman after only reading the first 13 comics? Or hell, try taking any 100+ episode anime and stop 13 epsiodes in.

Besides, Hellsing doesn't suck. Avelion is clearly insane :P
ImageImage

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Sat Mar 28, 2009 9:32 am UTC

Avelion wrote:

I'm afraid you've given me a headache. The original anime warranted a meh at best. The story made no sense, the animation wasn't great, and the characters had no depth. The episodes to come in the OVA are going to redefine epic.

What? But... but.. WHAT?!?

Clearly, one of us is completely bat-shit insane. I like to think it's not me.

Hellsing actually took a little bit of time telling the story. Ultimate just charged through the whole mess, never pausing to let you ponder "ok, what happened there?", "who is that?", "why are they doing that?", "why is this character acting like such a pompous ass?".

Grop

Postby Grop » Sat Mar 28, 2009 10:45 am UTC

SlyReaper wrote:(it's OVA by the way, not OAV).

At the risk of being epically ninja'd by Jack, they are OAV in this part of the world. /trivia

Avelion

Postby Avelion » Sat Mar 28, 2009 11:53 am UTC

SlyReaper wrote:What? But... but.. WHAT?!?

Hellsing actually took a little bit of time telling the story. Ultimate just charged through the whole mess, never pausing to let you ponder "ok, what happened there?", "who is that?", "why are they doing that?", "why is this character acting like such a pompous ass?".

That's because the content that took half of Hellsing was only two volumes of the manga. Ultimate goes through at a pace of about 1 volume per episode. Also, in the beginning the characters motivations aren't supposed to be explained. It's a mystery why they're doing what they do until Millenium is introduced(which isn't in Hellsing and is why the Valentine brothers make no sense.) You can not tell me that the end of Hellsing made any sense. The big bad evil guy existed solely for the purpose of being the evil guy. Alucard didn't even release to level 0. Even his level 1 release was pathetic compared to what it ought to be.

PhoenixRider

Postby PhoenixRider » Sat Mar 28, 2009 2:08 pm UTC

ToraDora ended. :[

The thing is, this anime had a little too much drama for my liking. Even the turnout was as obvious as night and day. But I must say, this was a really good series. I guess it's time to pick out which Anime to watch in April.

Shangri-la, K-on, FMA, Ristoronte(incorrectly spelled?). There are more that I'm willing to try out, but these are my 4 hopefuls that I believe will do well.

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Sat Mar 28, 2009 3:10 pm UTC

Avelion wrote:
SlyReaper wrote:What? But... but.. WHAT?!?

That's because the content that took half of Hellsing was only two volumes of the manga. Ultimate goes through at a pace of about 1 volume per episode. Also, in the beginning the characters motivations aren't supposed to be explained. It's a mystery why they're doing what they do until Millenium is introduced(which isn't in Hellsing and is why the Valentine brothers make no sense.) You can not tell me that the end of Hellsing made any sense. The big bad evil guy existed solely for the purpose of being the evil guy. Alucard didn't even release to level 0. Even his level 1 release was pathetic compared to what it ought to be.

From what I remember, the Valentine brothers made enough sense. Why wouldn't they want to attack a organisation whose sole purpose is the annihilation of their species? As for Incognito, I guess his motivation was similar to Alucard's. That is, find someone to fight who isn't pathetically easy to defeat. Vampires get bored, what with eternal life and all. At least, I think that was it. It was years ago that I watched it.

Avelion

Postby Avelion » Sun Mar 29, 2009 2:29 am UTC

SlyReaper wrote: Why wouldn't they want to attack a organisation whose sole purpose is the annihilation of their species?

I certainly wouldn't. They weren't even true vampires and the show completely forgets to explain why.

Edit:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Is3RdkHJOFI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oyqGr2aZynk&feature=related

These need to be made into full length productions immediately. Why hadn't anyone told me about Studio 4C?

|Erasmus|
Branson

Postby |Erasmus| » Sun Mar 29, 2009 12:54 pm UTC

Avelion wrote:

The story kind of fell apart, and the animation was not great. To be honest, I don't much care for the animation in Ultimate.

But the original Hellsing had something that Ultimate is completely lacking in (IMO). It was cool. I thought it was just really freaking cool. It had awesome music, and the whole thing had this great atmosphere to it. Ultimate may have a better story and better animation and better characters, but it's bland and drab by comparison. Just what I felt when I was watching it, and you obviously disagree, but it's why I like the original.

PhoenixRider

Postby PhoenixRider » Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:40 pm UTC

Hey guys, I'm not very sure when the new April series come out in japan. Is it tomorrow, or next Wednesday?

Jack Saladin
X is kiss

Postby Jack Saladin » Tue Mar 31, 2009 6:34 pm UTC

... What do you mean? There's no one date where every show of a new season starts.

What shows are starting soon anyway? Anyone got one of those images? All I know is Dragon Ball Kai starts in a few days. :O

Edit: Amagad, Eden of the East starts in like a week as well. Awesome.

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Tue Mar 31, 2009 8:35 pm UTC

According to a thread in another forum, some new releases in April:

Pandora Hearts
Asura Cryin'
K-ON!
Kurokami
Senjou no Valkryia - Gallian Chronicles
Shinkyoku Soukai - Polyphonica Crimson S
Full metal Alchemist (remake)
Shangri-La
Tears to Tiara
Tayutama - Kiss on my Deity-
07-Ghost:
Hatsukoi Gentei

Avelion

Postby Avelion » Tue Mar 31, 2009 9:04 pm UTC

Oh crap, I forgot about Senjou no Valkyria. I really need to go finish that game.

SherryCQ

Postby SherryCQ » Tue Mar 31, 2009 9:55 pm UTC

I have a more comprehensive list of my favorites:

Movies:
Princess Mononoke
Spirited Away
Howl's Moving Castle (extremely different from the book, but that doesn't mean it's not GOOD.)
Read Or Die

Shows:
Trigun
Wolf's Rain
Fullmetal Alchemist
Bleach
Gundam Seed
Rurouni Kenshin
Descendants of Darkness
First-season Pokemon
First and Second seasons of Digimon

FLCL was okay, but it's a little too trippy for me.

sio

Postby sio » Wed Apr 01, 2009 6:44 am UTC

hideki, love the avatar. Favorite series ever.

Jack Saladin
X is kiss

Postby Jack Saladin » Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:46 am UTC

Found a couple of blog posts and things, but as usual information is pretty scarce and I can't be bothered watching trailers. Regardless, here is my list of first episode checker outers this season:

Pandora Hearts
Fullmetal Alchemist
Guin Saga
Saki
07-Ghost
Souten Kouro
Ristorante Paradiso
Eden of the East
Basquash!
Sengoku Basara
K-ON
Senjou no Valkyria -Gallian Chronicles-
Shangri-La
Asura Cryin’
Cross Game
Dragonball Z Remastered / Kai

PhoenixRider

Postby PhoenixRider » Wed Apr 01, 2009 11:43 am UTC

Found one with the days on it too:
Spoiler:

Ugh, the entire picture doesn't fit this post so you can either "view image" or click on this URL: http://theforgottenunholyarchive.files. ... -anime.jpg
Last edited by PhoenixRider on Wed Apr 01, 2009 11:45 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Movies and TV Shows”