Anime Thread of Doom

Rot your brains, then rot our boards

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Vash

Re: Anime Thread of Doom

Postby Vash » Mon Jun 10, 2013 1:05 pm UTC

It was definitely a sort of manga-to-anime translation artifact. When you're reading, such a long pause does not seem like a bad thing really. It probably passes pretty quickly, even. When watching, it's really drawn out. I can see why they included it. It was probably very true to the manga. It included a lot of information, as well. I'm also willing to forgive it if it does not happen all the time. Not sure if I agree with it, nonetheless. I can see that there's probably not an ideal solution, though.

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:30 pm UTC

Keep in mind we've done 15 manga chapters in 10 episodes. And those chapters take a month each to come out... The pacing isn't bad.

Me, personally? I don't mind slow episodes, I like talking, so I liked this episode still. It was a nice break from the fast paced stuff in episodes previous. I kinda dislike it when the pacing never lets up.
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
"Do you think games are silly little things?"
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
"Do you admit there is no meaning to this world?"
- > No

AYC

Postby AYC » Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:28 am UTC

Question: At what point do FMA (2003) and the FMA manga diverge? Up to chapter 24 so far, and aside from
Spoiler:
Tucker dying
, most things are the same, albeit in a different chronological order.

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Thu Jun 13, 2013 1:22 pm UTC

If I'm not mistaken, it's a little ways just after the introduction of Greed, isn't it?

AYC

Postby AYC » Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:08 pm UTC

Jorpho wrote:If I'm not mistaken, it's a little ways just after the introduction of Greed, isn't it?

Hmm, that's where I am right now...I'm sure it'll become apparent soon.

PeteP
What the peck?

Postby PeteP » Wed Jun 19, 2013 5:55 pm UTC

Anyone seen the Wandering Son anime and read the manga? The anime was nice and mellow, and I read the beginning chapters it skipped before. Should I read the middle part or skip the part which appears in the anime?

Btw I can recommend the spirit circle manga. (From the Lucifer and the Biscuit Hammer mangaka, which (I think) is relatively well known)

Derek

Postby Derek » Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:35 pm UTC

PeteP wrote:Anyone seen the Wandering Son anime and read the manga? The anime was nice and mellow, and I read the beginning chapters it skipped before. Should I read the middle part or skip the part which appears in the anime?

I read a bunch of the manga shortly after the anime started. Eventually got bored. I think I read past where the anime ended though.

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:46 am UTC

Please tell me everyone here understands the compeltely obvious subtext in OreGairu... I've been having a lot of conversations with people that simply don't actually understand what is going on with Hachiman and all his little 'solutions' and how people say he chooses the worst way to solve things, etc.
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
- > No

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:29 am UTC

Assuming there are no follow-up questions, then yes. I understand the subtext completely.
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:52 am UTC

I won't ask any follow up questions then. :P
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
- > No

KnightExemplar

Postby KnightExemplar » Fri Jun 21, 2013 1:14 pm UTC

He's a super-emo kid, solving problems in super-emo ways. Like grovelling.

Its like anti-Gurren Lagan, the more you don't believe in yourself, the better the solution for Hachiman. Its the exact opposite message that they're supposed to be selling, which makes the anime funny as all hell.
First Strike +1/+1 and Indestructible.

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Fri Jun 21, 2013 1:27 pm UTC

That's not really subtext though is it. That's just... text.

KnightExemplar

Postby KnightExemplar » Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:59 pm UTC

Maybe I'm forgetting something? Maybe it'd be best if you shared your thoughts too :D :D

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Sat Jun 22, 2013 3:28 am UTC

Hachiman isn't really emo at all... though he is a bit depressive.

Spoiler:
The entire point of his character he that he tried hard before and got hurt, so how he finds it better to not try at all. Have none of you ever felt that way? I know I've felt that way with homework/exams before, good chance I'll fail? Then not turning up and getting 0 feels better than turning up, trying hard, and still failing... 'cause the former doesn't feel like it truly reflects on your capabilities while the latter does.

Hachiman is purposely an asshole, he purposely makes people hate him because that doesn't feel all that bad. I mean purposely pushing people away and they don't like you? That's a success not a failure. But trying really hard to be liked and still being hated? Thats the worst.

Thing is, Hachiman is too much of a nice guy to be a full asshole. So Hachiman is an asshole in a way that helps everyone. He purposely sets himself up to be the villian to take the pressure off other people and diffuse various situations. In this way he feels as though his strategy of pushing everyone away is vindicated. Usually there'd be this lingering 'But if I really did try it would work out' feeling, but because he sees his role as necessary, because he sees his role as helping others, he convinces himself that it's fine this way.

Every single episode so far and ever single solution he has thought up has been exclusively this. When those close to him say that he solved things in a horrible way only very partially talking about how he was mean to someone. Mostly they're talking about how Hachiman makes himself the villian, thus making his schoolmates hate him ever the more, something they don't see Hachiman as deserving.

In the latest epsiode, Hayama, the super nice guy, gets super angry at Hachiman. He yells at him to stop not because he is hurting Sagami, but because Hachiman is making himself out to be the villian again and Hayama doesn't want people to hate Hachiman. By saying what everyone is thinking in a much harsher way and deflecting the attention to him, he diffuses the situation by getting everyone to dismiss the statement as Hachiman being an asshole (while still maybe sending a wakeup call to his target).

Hayama getting angry actually deeply shook Hachiman, since Hayama is usually such a nice guy. You could see afterwards that it almost looked like he was about to cry, instead he just he just kept his face down and slumped to the ground. This plays into the whole bit with Sensei slightly later where she says that helping someone out isn't an excuse to get hurt. If it wasn't obvious that Hachiman has been playing the matyr to help people out before, then it sure is obvious now.

Though apparently people still don't understand this fact.

His entire thing is "I'm a loner, loser, hated by everyone. The common enemy" and he plays into that part as a form of emotional self harm to desensitise himself from the fact that he is incredibly lonely and depressive. The fact that he is actually a really nice guy at heart is what makes his character, and this anime, so so good.

I have no idea how they're going to end this series (assuming it gets extra seasons until the whole story arc is over). Honestly it could go any way.

Spoiler:
It could end with the status quo. Hachiman is still Hachiman, but at least he has some people who like him for who he is. I.e. Yui, Yukinoshita, Sensei, etc. Not a bad end, having a few friends is fine.

It could end up with the bad end. "If you don't try, of course you're going to fail" message. Everyone gives up on him because he can't approach any situation without his social self-harm in mind.

It could end up good end. He either fixes himself and things look better for him, or people see through his stupid masquerade and his social self-harm stops working.

Some people who read the LN tell me (huge spoilers):
Spoiler:
Hachiman has, so far, head down the bad end path, everyone has given up on him and left, apparently. The LN isn't over though so it still might end up with happy end or neutral end.

I really would like a happy end for Hachiman.

Ultimately I really like that despite billing itself as a RomCom there is virtually no Rom (and whenever there are hints of it it never gets followed up, OR it gets shutdown straight away) and nearly no Com either (and definitely no RomCom). It really plays into Hachiman's way of seeing things.
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
- > No

KnightExemplar

Postby KnightExemplar » Sat Jun 22, 2013 5:22 am UTC

Oh yeah, I get that :-) The story part of the story, as opposed to just the funny parts.

PeteP
What the peck?

Postby PeteP » Sat Jun 22, 2013 12:48 pm UTC

Well yeah I get that subtext and after the last episode it should be kinda obvious to everyone.

KnightExemplar

Postby KnightExemplar » Sun Jun 23, 2013 2:57 pm UTC

Spoiler:
Hayama getting angry actually deeply shook Hachiman, since Hayama is usually such a nice guy. You could see afterwards that it almost looked like he was about to cry, instead he just he just kept his face down and slumped to the ground. This plays into the whole bit with Sensei slightly later where she says that helping someone out isn't an excuse to get hurt. If it wasn't obvious that Hachiman has been playing the matyr to help people out before, then it sure is obvious now.

Ya'Hello!! Now that I feel like I have more time to respond properly :-)

Spoiler:
On the other hand, the real issue here is that Hachiman is working alone in this. He isn't working with any of his friends to try and find a better solution. Its good from Hachiman's perspective, and likely the best thing he can do by himself. Like Yukino, he prefers solving solutions by going at problems by himself. The real hope for both characters is Yui... who is dumb as a rock... but she instantly recognizes when someone is "alone". She usually doesn't understand why they're working alone, but her instincts are spot on. So even if Yui never fully understands Hachiman's (or Yukino's) perspective, she works to prevent lonliness (even when the best she can do is sometimes just ask Yukino / Hachiman for help).

The play between characters is pretty important. All three are important to the plot if they are to grow out of their depressing roles.

KnightExemplar

Postby KnightExemplar » Sun Jun 30, 2013 4:08 pm UTC

:-(

It feels like the quality of "Attack on Titan" has fallen off a cliff in the past few episodes. Fortunately, I'm getting my "good anime" fix from Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood right now. Definitely a great anime that I've missed from a few years ago. So I'm happy to enjoy it right now :-).

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Sun Jun 30, 2013 5:03 pm UTC

At least something actually happened this episode. I call that an improvement.

Dobblesworth
Dobblesworth, here's the title you requested over three years ago. -Banana

Postby Dobblesworth » Sun Jun 30, 2013 11:22 pm UTC

Attack on Tighten I've mostly been begrudgingly watching to keep tabs with what seems to be the hive mind talking point, but most of it doesn't really enthral me. I mean, I kinda like the western graphic novel art style, but the protagonist's insatiable omnicidal one-track shonen motivation grew dull by the third episode.
I think they missed a jump with something though: their titans, they all get vague descriptive names, when they could play off some bits of Greek mythology. Probably just me though that has taken to calling "Colossal" Kronos, "Armoured" Prometheus. And for the stunt pulled in the ep this week, "Mysterious" Atlas.

Now Valvrave, that's been hilariously awesome.
[trigger warning]
Spoiler:
If you discount the pretty jarring rape sequence and how one episode later the victim was perfectly okay about it.

Gargantia too was a fun one.

Derek

Postby Derek » Mon Jul 01, 2013 4:26 am UTC

The last episode of Titan was good, but the previous few episodes have really dragged out. The whole Battle of Trost thing probably should have been closer to 5 episodes, not 9. Also, the "on the last (few) episodes" clips have gotten increasingly long and annoying.

I haven't watched the last episode of Gargantia yet, but it has been a very good series. I didn't expect it to be that great when it started, but it pleasantly surprised me.

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:28 am UTC

There are many more references to Norse mythology in Shingeki no Kyojin than to greek. Last episode had animation issues (apparently due to some issue of transitioning animation directors or something?) that will almost certainly be fixed with the BD release.

Eren's motivation is there solely to subvert the typical shonen expectation.
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
- > No

PeteP
What the peck?

Postby PeteP » Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:35 pm UTC

I have just started testing the new season and have something to say to the makers of Ino to Hasami way Tsukaiyou:
Your flat chest comment->violence jokes are boring and uninspired, please stop. Well not that other animes with a "female character who is touchy about her breast size" shtick do it any better.

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Sun Jul 07, 2013 8:49 am UTC

Have I ever mentioned how much I despise recap episodes? It's doubly bad when it's in a series that's already glacially slow.

tastelikecoke

Postby tastelikecoke » Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:14 am UTC

If nobody had noticed, Attack on Titan used stills in some parts to save tweening money, even during the start of the episode. But I can forgive them for being lazy. What's important is having a plot, and making these giant fleshes scary and unnerving, which they did well IMO.

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:51 pm UTC

Oh, those titans eotenas are downright terrifying. There's a definite kind of uncanny valley type thing going on there. But the series is undeniably slow. The whole Trost arc could have and should have been resolved in three episodes. It's fine if you're marathon watching the series after it has finished airing, but watching it week-by-week is unbearably slow.

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:50 pm UTC

SlyReaper wrote:Oh, those titans eotenas are downright terrifying. There's a definite kind of uncanny valley type thing going on there.

Yeah they've done really well with them, making them this sort of twisted mirror of humankind that reflects our deepest horrors about the mysteries of our existance and the evil buried within all of us.

But the series is undeniably slow. The whole Trost arc could have and should have been resolved in three episodes. It's fine if you're marathon watching the series after it has finished airing, but watching it week-by-week is unbearably slow.

I deny that it is slow. I don't deny that I like dialogue, though.
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
- > No

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:36 pm UTC

Eh fine. They took half an episode to fire one frigging cannon; if that's not what you consider slow, then you have the patience of a saint.

PeteP
What the peck?

Postby PeteP » Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:22 pm UTC

Utsuro No Hako Vol 4
Spoiler:
Still at the beginning, but that plan with taking the food? It's stupid. Well it might work if people have qualms attacking directly, but if they haven't: She collects all food, someone makes a secret meeting with her, kills her takes food, wins. It means that there is a single weak point.

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:09 pm UTC

SlyReaper wrote:Eh fine. They took half an episode to fire one frigging cannon; if that's not what you consider slow, then you have the patience of a saint.

There was more going on than just the firing of a cannon. Lots of character development, setting development and awesome dialogue.
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
- > No

KnightExemplar

Postby KnightExemplar » Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:35 am UTC

I think it mostly depends on which character you like. I was talking with a friend and he likes Armin the best out of the three main characters... and he seemed to like that episode a lot. The cannon-fire episode was Armin's episode... it was finally his chance to shine. I wouldn't go as far as to say that episode was boring, but if you don't like Armin, then I can see why you wouldn't like that episode.

My issue with the series so far is...

Spoiler:
The whole Eren-Titan transformation actually. It almost seems arbitrary whether or not Eren will complete his mission or not. I frankly saw his "initial failure followed by resounding success" coming a mile away. I think they'll have to explain to me exactly what the hell is going on before I can accept Eren-Titan. Otherwise, I find those episodes to be almost unbearable. Although... Armin's strategy to use Eren-Titan (before they knew he was Eren)... was fucking baller. I liked that.
Last edited by KnightExemplar on Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:39 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:38 am UTC

KnightExemplar wrote:I think it mostly depends on which character you like. I was talking with a friend and he likes Armin the best out of the three main characters... and he seemed to like that episode a lot. The cannon-fire episode was Armin's episode... it was finally his chance to shine. I wouldn't go as far as to say that episode was boring, but if you don't like Armin, then I can see why you wouldn't like that episode.

I like all characters.
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
- > No

Derek

Postby Derek » Tue Jul 09, 2013 3:29 am UTC

The show is slow. Slow. As. Balls.

I was so hyped for this show, and I still want to like it, but the pacing is complete trash. The fact that this latest episode is a recap (or so I've heard) is the nail in the coffin. I struggle to see this show recovering.

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:31 am UTC

SnK is not the show for you if you want to see some 'typical shounen fightan', it's a subversion of a lot of typical shounen tropes and is not really at all about fighting, war or combat. In fact I'm pretty sure the next episode will be entirely talking. If you are watching this in the hopes that humanity will have some epic war against the titans and push straight to Eren's basement and then fight some final boss... well you're going to be extremely disappointed, you should stop while you're ahead.
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
- > No

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Tue Jul 09, 2013 2:08 pm UTC

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/131 ... academia-2

Put money in this now.

Watch the first for free here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBlqxEIJ_Cg

Edit:

Some reviews for this season:

Watamote:
Exactly what anyone would expect, knowing the manga. The OP song is nice but the video is a bit 'edgy'. It is interesting to see an anime series where almost all the dialogue is one character's thoughts. Unfortunately because there is so much of it I wish they weren't so harsh on the effects used to distinguish her voice as being thoughts... I think we can understand that when a character talks without moving their mouth that they're usually thinking.

Gen'ei o Kakeru Taiyou:
Madoka-esque, could be okay, but the inevitable comparisons might bring it down. Presents itself as a bit mindfucky, one character was reading L'Etranger, I wonder what happened to that girl?

Love Lab:
Amazing animation. Amazing character design. Funny, with an interesting premise. Possibly the best anime to come out this season. A bit put off by the stereotyping of females bit that came up in the first ep, though.

Makai Ouji:
I skipped through this one because the BL tropes were a bit too much for me, but it could work out? Dantalian being an 'ex-human' is a bit weird though. The whole time I was thinking "Why the shit is some random historical figure, Gilles de Rais, putting up such a good fight against Dantalian, who is a Great Duke of Hell and a jinn?" and then it turns out Dantalian is an ex-human as well... instead of being some amazing demon like you'd expect someone of that name to be.

Blood Lad:
Stylish and weird, otaku pandering, but I'm not sure whether it'll be any good. The next few episodes will define what kind of show it is going to be.

Danganronpa:
Extremely bland and undramatic so far... which is a feat in itself given the premise. Probably going to be horrible. I really wish someone had died in the first episode. Like everyone was so sure that no one was stupid enough to follow the rule but then someone distinguishes themselves.

Uchouten Kazoku:
Stylised art style, but amazing world/character building, awesome background work, great storytelling. Another contender for best anime this season. Not much to say other than it is awesome.

Edit:

Also latest Railgun ep had some nice animation.
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
- > No

Xeio
Friends, Faidites, Countrymen

Postby Xeio » Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:47 pm UTC

I've noticed I tend to give Anime a bit more leeway before I drop it than I probably would to a series that's live action.

Derek

Postby Derek » Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:37 pm UTC

Gelsamel wrote:SnK is not the show for you if you want to see some 'typical shounen fightan', it's a subversion of a lot of typical shounen tropes and is not really at all about fighting, war or combat. In fact I'm pretty sure the next episode will be entirely talking. If you are watching this in the hopes that humanity will have some epic war against the titans and push straight to Eren's basement and then fight some final boss... well you're going to be extremely disappointed, you should stop while you're ahead.

Where do you get the idea that it subverts shounen tropes? From my perspective it is nailing most of the tropes square on the head. That is in fact exactly the reason I'm getting tired of it. I don't want to watch shounentrash, but with each episode it is looking more and more like shounentrash.

Gelsamel wrote:http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1311401276/little-witch-academia-2

Put money in this now.

I...I could actually put money on this. I loved the first Little Witches' Academia.

PeteP
What the peck?

Postby PeteP » Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:28 pm UTC

I think Danganronpa has potential, sure nothing much happened, but I didn't find it bland.
About Watamote, it entertained me but I have to suppress the urge to skip scenes which make me cringe.^^

Xeio wrote:I've noticed I tend to give Anime a bit more leeway before I drop it than I probably would to a series that's live action.

Well I think that's better than dropping many new shows during the first episode, like I have started to do. (Though why shouldn't I be picky? I mean I'm not just an anime and manga nerd, I'm also a fantasy book nerd and I'm slowly expanding to scifi. I have more than enough works to choose from! (I really should start reading more scifi, I think I have read at most 100 or so scifi books while the number of fantasy books has 4 digits ) )

Edit: The comment section on the kickstarter is full of people who are either "we would like a dub" or "dubs are the most evil thing ever, don't ever make a dub because it's so super horrible"

KnightExemplar

Postby KnightExemplar » Wed Jul 10, 2013 3:11 am UTC

Dub quality IMO has gotten better recently. The epic bad Naruto / One Piece dubs seem to be a thing of the past.

Madoka had a good English Dub, I think I was able to pick up on more emotions due to understanding the language easier. Watched both. Good for such a dramatic anime like that. On the other hand, the Angel Beats dub was mediocre at best, that one was much better as Subtitled. Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood was a decent dub as well (although I admit to watching that one subbed). I like Spice and Wolf dub as well... the voice acting cast was very very strong in English IMO. Actually, it could be that dialogue heavy animes tend to be better in dubs, lol. Even as far back as Higurashi / When They Cry, I liked that dub.

Maybe action animes have more "NARM"y moments, and its more pronounced when I hear it in a language I fully understand. It certainly was more noticable when Light Yagami ate a potato chip in English. The annoying whiny guy is usually far more bearable in Japanese (Shinji Ikari). And the super-bubbly girl (aka Madoka) is similarly more bearable in Japanese most of the time.

Anyway, thats my perspective on the issue.

Xeio
Friends, Faidites, Countrymen

Postby Xeio » Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:59 am UTC

PeteP wrote:Edit: The comment section on the kickstarter is full of people who are either "we would like a dub" or "dubs are the most evil thing ever, don't ever make a dub because it's so super horrible"
Honestly, I'd like a dub, but I don't know of any Japanese studio that does English dubs, so it would probably be crap. If they were gonna outsource it to Funimation or something though...

I'm not really interested enough to back it as is though, so whatever.
KnightExemplar wrote:Maybe action animes have more "NARM"y moments, and its more pronounced when I hear it in a language I fully understand. It certainly was more noticable when Light Yagami ate a potato chip in English.
One of my college friends who normally watched subs commented that he didn't realize that Light was as crazy as he was until much later in the anime when watching the subbed version (he was usually in the room when I was watching the dub on Adult Swim). Though hard to tell how much of that is just already having seen it and knowing what's going to happen.

Return to “Movies and TV Shows”