Anime Thread of Doom

Rot your brains, then rot our boards

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Derek

Re: Anime Thread of Doom

Postby Derek » Mon Aug 05, 2013 1:20 am UTC

KnightExemplar wrote:The Girl who Leapt through Time ??? (Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xk9SAmD00Iw)

Extremely good (anime) movie, I highly recommend it. Apparently, "Summer Wars" is also good, but I've only seen one of Mamoru Hosoda's stuff so far. The use of CGI to represent the time-leap was jarring, as it always is... but an extremely good use of the "jarring" feel when CGI and and hand drawn anime are matched up. People also say good things about Summer War's use of CGI to represent Oz (I mean... the Digi-world... :-p)

Summer Wars is pretty good, but The Girl Who Leapt Through Time is much better. If you ever saw the Digimon Movie back in the day (specifically, the middle arc, which was known as Digimon: Our War Game in Japan), then you've seen Summer Wars. Mamoru Hosoda made both of them, Summer Wars is literally just a longer and higher budget remake of Our War Game. And without the amazing gag dub and soundtrack. (It also has a minor reference and five second cameo of my university, so I've seen it a couple times.)

Mamoru Hosoda's latest film is Wolf Children Ame and Yuki, which I also highly recommend. It's up there with The Girl Who Leapt Through Time.

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Mon Aug 05, 2013 4:08 am UTC

Yes, Summer Wars did have good CGI, probably because it is depicting exactly what it is.

I had completely forgotten Wolf Children Ame and Yuki. It is, alas, a completely forgettable film. The Girl Who Leapt Through Time was at least kind of clever.

While we're on the subject, Time Traveller isn't really based on the same subject matter, is it? I have seen poster-blurbs to that effect.

KnightExemplar

Postby KnightExemplar » Mon Aug 05, 2013 4:32 am UTC

Jorpho wrote:While we're on the subject, Time Traveller isn't really based on the same subject matter, is it? I have seen poster-blurbs to that effect.

I hope not :-(. But Anime-to-real-life adoptions are pretty popular, and make money. So it probably is... unfortunately.
First Strike +1/+1 and Indestructible.

Derek

Postby Derek » Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:56 am UTC

According to Wikipedia the 2010 live action film is a sequel to a 1983 live action film based on a book, the same book on which the anime film is based.

So they're like cousins or something.

SciJo

Postby SciJo » Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:12 am UTC

SlyReaper wrote:
Gelsamel wrote:
Derek wrote:
SlyReaper wrote:C as in the economy-themed anime? That was indeed somewhat weird.

I need to watch this.

It's only economy themed, it is nothing like Spice and Wolf or anything like that.

It's pretty much a fighting anime, but using money instead of hitpoints. And this translates to riches or poverty in the real world. Oh and there's some apocalyptic stock market shenanigans going on too.

C: because money definitely works that way.

I always felt that C was missing an episode's worth of content.

Still, not a bad show. Certainly weird though.

KnightExemplar

Postby KnightExemplar » Wed Aug 07, 2013 2:30 am UTC

Anyone going to Otakon this year?

Derek

Postby Derek » Wed Aug 07, 2013 3:05 am UTC

KnightExemplar wrote:Anyone going to Otakon this year?

A friend (or two, maybe) of mine is.

Grop

Postby Grop » Fri Aug 09, 2013 8:43 pm UTC

I am watching Senyuu ; it's a series of very short episodes (maybe three minutes), a parody of heroic fantasy where the "hero" is utterly useless and everything is done by secondary characters. Cheap, but I find it very funny.
Last edited by Grop on Sat Aug 10, 2013 5:26 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

KnightExemplar

Postby KnightExemplar » Sat Aug 10, 2013 4:51 am UTC

I want to complain about Evangelion 3.0: You can (not) Redo... But if I complain about it, then I'll have to remember what the _FUCK_ was going on. And that might just be too annoying to be worth it. Actually, I'm glad I watched it at Otakon today, now I know that I don't have to waste my money buying that movie, lol.

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Sat Aug 10, 2013 5:13 am UTC

KnightExemplar wrote:I want to complain about Evangelion 3.0: You can (not) Redo... But if I complain about it, then I'll have to remember what the _FUCK_ was going on. And that might just be too annoying to be worth it. Actually, I'm glad I watched it at Otakon today, now I know that I don't have to waste my money buying that movie, lol.

Yes, honestly I felt it was pretty horrible, I wish it was more like 2.0.
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
"Do you think games are silly little things?"
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
"Do you admit there is no meaning to this world?"
- > No

KnightExemplar

Postby KnightExemplar » Sat Aug 10, 2013 5:42 am UTC

Gelsamel wrote:
KnightExemplar wrote:I want to complain about Evangelion 3.0: You can (not) Redo... But if I complain about it, then I'll have to remember what the _FUCK_ was going on. And that might just be too annoying to be worth it. Actually, I'm glad I watched it at Otakon today, now I know that I don't have to waste my money buying that movie, lol.

Yes, honestly I felt it was pretty horrible, I wish it was more like 2.0.

And yet... I'm probably going to watch Eva 4.0. :roll: :roll:

Spoiler:
Erm... Askua / Makinami merge Evas and use light sabers to stop 5th Impact... it probably won't make any sense, but I just want some damn closure at this point

Dobblesworth
Dobblesworth, here's the title you requested over three years ago. -Banana

Postby Dobblesworth » Sat Aug 10, 2013 3:51 pm UTC

Felt underwhelmed by Eva 3 as well.
Spoiler:
World-building, pretty good, design of the post-Third Impact Tokyo-3 and shot-for-shot parallels to those in 1.11 & 2.22.
Really it just felt 'short' compared to 2.22. We get one angel at the start, thirty minutes of piano playing, and the 2-on-2 fight and shouting match to close off.
Don't think I can take Team Misato seriously if they're calling themselves "willie".
Did they actually show Unit-01 underneath that ribcage or do you just have to go off dialogue and Ritsuko's schematic?
Don't think I quite get the difference between Gendo & Seele's respective approaches to Instrumentality.
And I would've added something comic to the Kaworu/Shinji flirt-off arc. You put rainbow overlay on a piano duet, c'mon. Where's the "Shinji moves up the keys, Kaworu moves down the keys, their hands meet, Shinji recoils and looks back awkwardly while Kaworu just keeps doing the only expression he can make!"
Angels in 1 & 2 have that interest to them because they're parallels to in-series appearances; didn't really get that here I don't think.

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Sun Aug 11, 2013 6:37 pm UTC

I know I've said it a hundred times but... Uchouten Kazoku is so awesome, probably the anime of the year I'd say. Everything about it is just so well done, perfectly paced, awesome cinematography, setting and character development, amazing art style. I recommend to all.
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
- > No

KnightExemplar

Postby KnightExemplar » Sun Aug 11, 2013 8:45 pm UTC

Otakon Review:

* AMV Contest highlights: IMO best video in the contest. But here's the video that actually won.

* Space Dandy is revealed by Shinichiro Watanabe (aka: Director of Cowboy Bebop / Samurai champloo). I missed the reveal, but he was still excited to talk about it at a panel today. Basically, he plans to have a comedic series about this dude named "Dandy" as he explores the universe. Every episode will have new aliens, and a new character designer will be in charge of the aliens on that planet.

* Summer Wars was amazing, I'm glad I finally got to see it.

* Underwhelmed by Eva 3.

* Wolf Children teased me all weekend, but I was unable to find time to watch it.

* The Panel for "The Abridged Series" editors was on Saturday at 9:00am. Despite having thousands of seats available... it was full by the time I arrived, and I was forced to leave (you weren't allowed to stand in the back).

* Panel for "Journey to the West" helped put some Chinese Mythology into context, especially because that novel is referenced so damn often in anime. I'm glad to have gone to it.

* Dealer's Room for Touhou 13.5, and Scarlet Weather Rhapsody. I've already got 10 Desires, so I wanted to give the fighting games a try.

* Pop'n Music Experts do in fact exist, I was actually able to watch some guys play at lvl 41+ songs in person. They do in fact look like this in person.

* Nobuhiro Watsuki's original prints were on display. It was great to see how he drew "outside of the lines" somehow. He used markers for a lot of his covers, and by continuing the marker past the edge of the printed area, the weird "tail" when you pick up a marker was beyond the printed area. It was nice to see that as good of an artist as he is... he is still human :-p. It was possible to see the physical "cuts" into the paper that he did when he screwed up a panel. The gallery was mostly Rurouni Kenshin, but it had some works he did before hand, as well as Buso Renkin art.

* One of the more popular cosplays this year was probably Sasha from Attack on Titan. One even brought a potato as part of her costume! I'm surprised that a minor character is getting so much love, but I like her character a lot, despite it being basically the very very minor role of comedic relief.

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Mon Aug 12, 2013 2:53 am UTC

I wouldn't call Sasha a minor character but... I guess some of the characters that have been more minor characters are for later in the anime :P.
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
- > No

KnightExemplar

Postby KnightExemplar » Tue Aug 13, 2013 4:38 am UTC

Oh yeah, I won a prize at Otakon: "A Certain Scientific Railgun", the complete series :-). After learning that I saved like $60+ on the set, so I am going to work my way through its predecessor: "A Certain Magical Index". And Index so far has been... predictable, followed by a whole bunch of uniqueness. It starts off like a typical anime, but it takes a different turn rather quickly. I'm actually liking it so far, here are my thoughts on the first 5 episodes.

First episode summary:
Spoiler:
The main character Toma, is rather standard so far. He's the hotheaded main guy with a relatively unique special power in a world filled with special powers. Toma's special ability is basically "Counterspell". Anything supernatural that he touches with his right hand is utterly destroyed. Magical attacks, magical artifacts, mutant powers, anything supernatural that his right hand touches... is neutralized. In the first episode, a girl named "Index" meets him and the story begins. Index is a sister from one of the 5 main churches, and is being chased by sorcerers (probably from one of the other 4 churches). Index has 103,000 volumes of magical books perfectly memorized word for word. And while Index herself cannot use the magic, other sorcerers are obviously going to be after her knowledge.

There is a generic first encounter with some sorcerer, and then the less generic portion of the story begins.

I don't really understand why I like this show... but I'm definitely intrigued. The show manages to make itself a lot more intelligent than it first appears. In the beginning, the show barely took itself seriously... but eventually it picks up, and develops the characters in a very interesting fashion. Unfortunately, dialogues tend to be rant-heavy to hit you over the top of the head with the drama... but the drama certainly fits and draws me into the story. It turned this silly show and has made me start caring about the characters.

Hopefully the pattern continues :-)

Derek

Postby Derek » Tue Aug 13, 2013 5:10 am UTC

You don't need to watch Index to get Railgun. They share characters, but Railgun is an entirely self-contained side-story. I watched the first three episodes or so of Index, and found it terribly boring, but I loved Railgun, and I'm watching the second season right now.

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Tue Aug 13, 2013 6:12 am UTC

I actually think it is a good idea to watch Index before Railgun even though it isn't completely necessary. Index -> Railgun -> Index 2 -> Railgun 2 is the best path.

Spoiler:
Railgun 2 rehashes some Index from a different point of view though.
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
- > No

broken_escalator
They're called stairs

Postby broken_escalator » Tue Aug 13, 2013 4:51 pm UTC

I thought Index had the dude from railgun... glad to know they are in fact the same character. I enjoyed railgun more than index though. The only episode I saw of index was when the guy is spouting off a huge speech to the sword user about friendship. Whereas the railgun episode I saw involved the urban legends.

There were a lot of funny anime this year at Otakon! The ones I remember the most: B Gata H Kei Yamada's First Time, Maoyu, Pet Girl of Sakurazou, The Lenged of the Legendary Heroes, and Ground Control to Psychoelectric Girl. I don't think any of them grabbed me in a serious way, but I only saw an episode or two of them.

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:14 am UTC

So the Naruto Manga is over, I hear...

Fucking finally, I'm so glad there is no more of it to come. Time to celebrate!
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
- > No

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Wed Aug 14, 2013 1:25 pm UTC

No wai! Surely this just means they're going to start up Naruto Final?

Xeio
Friends, Faidites, Countrymen

Postby Xeio » Thu Aug 15, 2013 2:53 am UTC

Oh hey, new episodes in the One Piece dub. Finally.

KnightExemplar

Postby KnightExemplar » Thu Aug 15, 2013 4:49 am UTC

Maoyu is a guilty pleasure for me right now. Every time I watch the damn thing, I tell myself just how bad the show is. It isn't anywhere close to the level that "Spice and Wolf" was, and yet I enjoy the show more often than not. Its short, so maybe I should just marathon run it all the way through... but yeah. Funny stuff for sure :-)

Vash

Postby Vash » Sun Aug 18, 2013 12:53 pm UTC

Oreimo 2 (ep 14-16).
Spoiler:
UGH. I'm honestly fucking disgusted. Seriously, this has me reevaluating myself. How did I not see this coming? I think I did not want to admit the possibility of this end more strongly than I already had, because it would have felt too weird. Also, I really wanted to give fans of this show a fair chance, and I think that went a little far.

KnightExemplar

Postby KnightExemplar » Tue Aug 20, 2013 2:00 pm UTC

At Otakon, I asked around for animes that I should be watching. And several people did recommend Oreimo. I haven't seen it yet, but in a spoiler tag, can you tell me if it turns into an incest-fest a-la Sword Art Online?

Derek

Postby Derek » Tue Aug 20, 2013 4:12 pm UTC

I'm glad I avoided that one. I knew it couldn't be going anywhere good.

PeteP
What the peck?

Postby PeteP » Tue Aug 20, 2013 5:10 pm UTC

KnightExemplar wrote:At Otakon, I asked around for animes that I should be watching. And several people did recommend Oreimo. I haven't seen it yet, but in a spoiler tag, can you tell me if it turns into an incest-fest a-la Sword Art Online?

Spoiler:
the subtext is quite obvious, if you are bothered by incest subtext then it isn't for you

LN spoiler
Spoiler:
though I didn't expect them to actually go through with the incest route. though then they half assed that too, so maybe "going through with it" is a bit generous.

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Wed Aug 21, 2013 2:07 am UTC

Even before I knew what it was about I was noping away from Oreimo and everything extra I hear about it makes me nope more. Sorry it just sounds unlikable in every way.
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
- > No

broken_escalator
They're called stairs

Postby broken_escalator » Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:57 pm UTC

A comedy/harem/romance that is named "My Little Sister Can't Be This Cute"... how could that possibly go wrong? :roll:

PeteP
What the peck?

Postby PeteP » Wed Aug 21, 2013 5:26 pm UTC

I'm not bothered by incest, at all. So they could have 2 routes where I might have liked the anime, go all in with the incest and do something interesting with it instead of merely alluding to it. Or be what some people thought it would be, a deconstruction of the whole sister fetish stuff.

KnightExemplar

Postby KnightExemplar » Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:35 pm UTC

If it stayed the deconstruction route, I think I may watch it. I enjoy parody series and deconstructive series. IE: SNAFU's approach to Hiki and his little sister was mostly deconstructive. They insinuated it with some scenes, but it always came back to "lol, we're joking guys". Which is fine. Someone also mentioned Nisemonogatari as deconstructive towards that trope. (haven't seen it yet, but I'll get to it eventually)

It sounds like Oreimo couldn't resist the urge to "play it straight". So I guess I'll avoid it then. Like in SAO:

Spoiler:
Kirito's younger sister Sugou, IMO, was otherwise a perfectly good character. But the incest wasn't just subtext, it was fucking plot. They spent episodes on the drama... entire episodes on the issue.

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:12 am UTC

Someone also mentioned Nisemonogatari as deconstructive towards that trope. (haven't seen it yet, but I'll get to it eventually)

Not really... there are points where Araragi says that he couldn't possibly be into his sisters and stuff like that, but then they ignore that and go straight into ridiculously disconcerting fanservice where Araragi proves himself wrong on that account.

Honestly I loved Bakemonogatari but Nisemonogatari was really difficult to enjoy when that bullshit was going on.
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
- > No

Derek

Postby Derek » Thu Aug 22, 2013 5:12 am UTC

Gelsamel wrote:Honestly I loved Bakemonogatari but Nisemonogatari was really difficult to enjoy when that bullshit was going on.

Took the words from my mouth. Every other arc in the Monogatari series has been great. But Nise was hard to watch.

KnightExemplar

Postby KnightExemplar » Fri Aug 23, 2013 2:50 pm UTC

Woah, is an actually decent Pokemon Anime about to come up?

Pokemon Special, a manga that follows the original plot of Pokemon, was actually pretty good. Pokemon fights were occasionally deadly, especially when the more serious characters did things. Blue (aka Gary) wasn't afraid to command his Pokemon to attack humans. If the anime can follow the spirit of Pokemon Special... I think I'd be interested in it.

Or really, I'd be interested in _any_ more serious take on the Pokemon Franchise (Pokemon Special included of course)
Last edited by KnightExemplar on Fri Aug 23, 2013 2:58 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Vash

Postby Vash » Fri Aug 23, 2013 2:58 pm UTC

KnightExemplar wrote:At Otakon, I asked around for animes that I should be watching. And several people did recommend Oreimo. I haven't seen it yet, but in a spoiler tag, can you tell me if it turns into an incest-fest a-la Sword Art Online?

Spoiler:
Yes. It goes full on at some point, only pulling back at the very end. I was viscerally just disgusted by Oreimo. Much worse than SAO in my experience, because at least in SAO they were actually cousins, and did not really get together (even though I would say that they had romantic contact, which is one reason it is pretty bad). That they grew up as siblings made it pretty gross, though. Actually, after just having learned that they grew up together since a year old, it now seems pretty disgusting to me.

Extra strong spoiler, with more specific details:

Spoiler:
The hints get stronger, the last episode nearly throws away all hinting, and the ONA is all about their incestuous relationship.

PeteP wrote:I'm not bothered by incest, at all. So they could have 2 routes where I might have liked the anime, go all in with the incest and do something interesting with it instead of merely alluding to it. Or be what some people thought it would be, a deconstruction of the whole sister fetish stuff.

Spoiler:
They did neither. They went in mostly all the way, though they pulled back at the very end. However, I am not sure that they did anything particularly interesting with it, at least from my perspective. Nonetheless, they do address a number of issues with incest, so it is not utterly stupid. I definitely thought for awhile that it might be a subtle deconstruction, but no.

Derek wrote:I'm glad I avoided that one. I knew it couldn't be going anywhere good.

Spoiler:
I had to give it a fair chance, myself. They made it somewhat ambiguous for most of the show, which did not help.

KnightExemplar wrote:If it stayed the deconstruction route, I think I may watch it. I enjoy parody series and deconstructive series. IE: SNAFU's approach to Hiki and his little sister was mostly deconstructive. They insinuated it with some scenes, but it always came back to "lol, we're joking guys". Which is fine. Someone also mentioned Nisemonogatari as deconstructive towards that trope. (haven't seen it yet, but I'll get to it eventually)

It sounds like Oreimo couldn't resist the urge to "play it straight". So I guess I'll avoid it then. Like in SAO:

Spoiler:
Kirito's younger sister Sugou, IMO, was otherwise a perfectly good character. But the incest wasn't just subtext, it was fucking plot. They spent episodes on the drama... entire episodes on the issue.

I agree with this. I am going to elaborate and say that SNAFU references it while basically dismissing it.

KnightExemplar wrote:Woah, is an actually decent Pokemon Anime about to come up?

Pokemon Special, a manga that follows the original plot of Pokemon, was actually pretty good. Pokemon fights were occasionally deadly, especially when the more serious characters did things. If the anime can follow the spirit of Pokemon Special... I think I'd be interested in it.

Interesting. It looked slightly interesting to me, but not that interesting. It looked maybe slightly marketed at an older audience, at least partially for nostalgia. I did not look too deeply into, though. You've piqued my interest in this show to a much greater degree.

KnightExemplar

Postby KnightExemplar » Fri Aug 23, 2013 3:07 pm UTC

Just to be clear, all I'm seeing is a clear reference to "Red" and "Blue" character design, as opposed to Ash / Satoshi character design. So it may be completely unrelated to the Pokemon Special manga.

That said, any more serious take on the franchise would be awesome. So maybe I'm getting carried away by my imagination.

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Fri Aug 23, 2013 5:56 pm UTC

A fun video about anime.

Yeah, I just got back from Ayacon last week.
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

KnightExemplar

Postby KnightExemplar » Mon Sep 02, 2013 5:33 am UTC

Fucking Attack on Titan this week. I swear, I have no idea who the "Red Shirts" are in this show.

Spoiler:
Well then, lets see if Captain Levi and Mikasa can actually pull this one off. They clearly have to fight Female Titan inside of the forest, so they can't have her run too far away.

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Mon Sep 02, 2013 4:13 pm UTC

Are a lot of you folks watching that? It seems to be getting a lot of attention.

KnightExemplar

Postby KnightExemplar » Mon Sep 02, 2013 6:53 pm UTC

Yup, I'm keeping up with it. There was a stretch of several episodes where Attack on Titan seemed to have run out of money (definitely episode 13 / 13.5). Episode quality drops significantly after the first WTF moment, which is a shame because it almost made me quit watching the show. Dialogue quality took a dive, animation quality sucked... etc. etc. They seem to have fixed the animation issues now however, and the last few episodes were very good plotwise and actionwise. It is definitely a very ambitious project, and it has been overall a joy to watch.

Obviously, you should watch the whole show. But episode 13.5 was a decent recap episode, and more or less catches you up to everyone else. Just in case you don't feel like watching the first half of the show for some reason...

Return to “Movies and TV Shows”