Anime Thread of Doom

Rot your brains, then rot our boards

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

drego642

Re: Anime Thread of Doom

Postby drego642 » Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:08 pm UTC

Okay so, on the recommendation of a friend I am watching all of Angel Beats... I'm 4 episodes in and I'm already feeling under-prepared for the feels storm. Episode 3 hit me particularly hard because reasons... oh god, the reasons.

I feel as though I walked outside wearing shorts, a t-shirt and spongy old sneakers when, unbeknownst to me, the weather forecast indicated I should be wearing high-cut rubber boots and a poncho.

KnightExemplar

Postby KnightExemplar » Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:28 pm UTC

drego642 wrote:Okay so, on the recommendation of a friend I am watching all of Angel Beats... I'm 4 episodes in and I'm already feeling under-prepared for the feels storm. Episode 3 hit me particularly hard because reasons... oh god, the reasons.

I feel as though I walked outside wearing shorts, a t-shirt and spongy old sneakers when, unbeknownst to me, the weather forecast indicated I should be wearing high-cut rubber boots and a poncho.

Angel Beats does a good job balancing emotions. You never really know if you're gonna get a "sweet" episode, or a "sad" episode ahead of time. Even when you think you have a happy episode... it sometimes ends up sad as all hell. :( :( But the overall message of Angel Beats is one of hope and renewal. You'll understand by the end.
First Strike +1/+1 and Indestructible.

drego642

Postby drego642 » Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:50 pm UTC

KnightExemplar wrote:Angel Beats does a good job balancing emotions. You never really know if you're gonna get a "sweet" episode, or a "sad" episode ahead of time. Even when you think you have a happy episode... it sometimes ends up sad as all hell. :( :( But the overall message of Angel Beats is one of hope and renewal. You'll understand by the end.

Ah, yup. I was told something like that, and was told the two extremes alternate quickly, and I'm now seeing it fully (as far as I can tell) Tears where I thought there would be laughs and vice versa; I've had both already.

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:12 pm UTC

KnightExemplar wrote:Yup, I'm keeping up with it. There was a stretch of several episodes where Attack on Titan seemed to have run out of money (definitely episode 13 / 13.5). Episode quality drops significantly after the first WTF moment, which is a shame because it almost made me quit watching the show. Dialogue quality took a dive, animation quality sucked... etc. etc. They seem to have fixed the animation issues now however, and the last few episodes were very good plotwise and actionwise. It is definitely a very ambitious project, and it has been overall a joy to watch.

Obviously, you should watch the whole show. But episode 13.5 was a decent recap episode, and more or less catches you up to everyone else. Just in case you don't feel like watching the first half of the show for some reason...

To be clear though... even when the animation 'sucked' and had 'issues' it is still pretty good compared to many other anime. It wasn't an issue of running out of money, it was an issue of saving the money for the episodes that matter.

Spoiler:
Yet another big subversion this ep, "Trust your Nakama" trope fails to work.
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
"Do you think games are silly little things?"
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
"Do you admit there is no meaning to this world?"
- > No

PeteP
What the peck?

Postby PeteP » Tue Sep 03, 2013 12:10 am UTC

Spoiler:
With them going on and on about trust I suppose it was an attempt at a subversion.
But it was a reasonable choice, Eren is a valuable asset and has no idea how to fully utilize his titan form which means he would have been disadvantaged against here (and solo he did lose). Also,they still can't be entirely sure about the behaviour of his titan form. Which leads to either continue fleeing with him, or hold her off and try to get a kill which only didn't work because she had unknown abilities.
Though yeah Eren+ some support would have probably done the trick.

KnightExemplar

Postby KnightExemplar » Tue Sep 03, 2013 12:23 am UTC

Spoiler:
Last time Eren tried to help out with companions, he attacked Mikasa, and then forgot about it. It is clear that he wasn't ready for battle, and all options are poor. A pessimistic outcome of Eren transforming early would have had Eren killing one or more of Levi's squad... either by accident or in a fit of Titan-rage. I predict an episode where they discuss the "what ifs" and "could haves", and I expect Captain Levi / Commander Irvin to be more mature and forward looking about that. (Commander Irvin is already learning and growing from the event)

Derek

Postby Derek » Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:34 am UTC

drego642 wrote:Okay so, on the recommendation of a friend I am watching all of Angel Beats... I'm 4 episodes in and I'm already feeling under-prepared for the feels storm. Episode 3 hit me particularly hard because reasons... oh god, the reasons.

Definitely one of my favorites.

And I love the ED.

drego642

Postby drego642 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:21 am UTC

Derek wrote:

Definitely one of my favorites.

And I love the ED.

I like the ED too, but personally, I'm an OP guy myself. :D

Also, as much as I don't believe someone with a voice like her's having that powerful a lower register, I love Yui's version as well.

KnightExemplar

Postby KnightExemplar » Tue Sep 03, 2013 12:58 pm UTC

Episode 4 Soft-Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Yui is played by Risa Oribe, stage name LiSA. Risa Oribe's first anime series was Yui, so in effect she is a "newbie to anime" playing a character who herself is a newbie to the band. Arguably, part of Angel Beats is to be a showcase for LiSA back in 2010. It gave LiSA a jump start into the industry!

Later, LiSA sings the intros to Fate/Zero (2011) and Sword Art Online (2012), and Day Break Illusion (2013).

As for Angel Beats songs... you can't forget about the singles. OP is definitely amazing, but you can't deny the quality of the other songs. There's Crow's Song (Episode 1) and Alchemy (Episode 3), Thousand Enemies (Episode 5), Shine Days (Episode 10) and ...

Actual Spoiler:
Spoiler:
My Song (Episode 3), Iwasawa's Leaving song.

And finally My Most Precious Treasure (Episode 10 / Episode 13 Endings). Indeed, the switch to this song as an ending gives a very sweet concluding feel to the anime. It was a very powerful effect. Apparently, they twerk the lyrics to match the episodes better. So Episode 10 "My Most Precious Treasure" focuses more on Yui, and Episode 13 focuses more on Otonashi / Kanade.

Angel Beats: where discussion of the soundtrack constitutes a strong spoiler :roll: :roll:. This anime is amazing.

Yoshisummons

Postby Yoshisummons » Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:08 pm UTC

I would hardly call it super great fantastical awesome but I still liked it in the end(hell it's on Netflix online when I watched it a couple months ago).
Spoiler:
If the place is a purgatory for kids that didn't lead fulfilling lives or whatever then why does the protagonist appear in the place long after he died to the point where Angel the recipient of his heart from his organ donation is in the place so much longer before him?

Oh and I keep hearing attack of the titans is good any tips on where one could watch legitimately?
eran_rathan wrote:Listen to the man with the cone on his head - these are Words of WisdomTM.

Derek

Postby Derek » Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:55 pm UTC

Yoshisummons wrote:I would hardly call it super great fantastical awesome but I still liked it in the end(hell it's on Netflix online when I watched it a couple months ago).
Spoiler:
If the place is a purgatory for kids that didn't lead fulfilling lives or whatever then why does the protagonist appear in the place long after he died to the point where Angel the recipient of his heart from his organ donation is in the place so much longer before him?

Spoiler:
Plot. More in-universe, it is never indicated that time in purgatory corresponds to time in the real world.

Oh and I keep hearing attack of the titans is good any tips on where one could watch legitimately?

Crunchy has it.

KnightExemplar

Postby KnightExemplar » Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:01 am UTC

On this spoilerific Angel Beats discussion...

Spoiler:
It is also referenced that Kanade lived a good life, and she accidentally wandered into that world. Despite living a fulfilling life, she was searching for her "Angel", the Organ Donor who sacrificed his heart to save her life. So she has already broken the rules of Purgatory, so its hardly a stretch to believe that she can bend the rules of time as well in her search.

Yoshisummons

Postby Yoshisummons » Wed Sep 04, 2013 3:06 am UTC

Do you mean Crankyroll?

Angel Beat's spoiler
Spoiler:
Oh ok so they used handwavium to throw in the heart metaphors at the end
eran_rathan wrote:Listen to the man with the cone on his head - these are Words of WisdomTM.

Derek

Postby Derek » Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:18 am UTC

Yoshisummons wrote:Do you mean Crankyroll?

Uhh, I'm not sure what you mean by that? Crunchyroll works pretty well. More reliable and better quality than Youtube, fewer ads than Hulu. If you're not a subscriber it is limited to 480p and is usually a week behind for new shows, but that's still pretty good.

They also gave our anime club a free subscription, so I think they're pretty cool.

Yoshisummons

Postby Yoshisummons » Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:59 am UTC

Oh dear god I meant crunchyroll :oops:, sleep deprivation does that I guess, but yes thanks.

drego642

Postby drego642 » Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:42 am UTC

Ahhh, so many Angel Beats spoilers to resist reading! Don't worry, you'll all be read come this weekend. :twisted:

Vash

Postby Vash » Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:46 am UTC

Watamote anime.

Spoiler:
I can't get through episode 8. I just can't. I think I have to give up on this show.

Extra big spoiler:

Spoiler:
I'm stuck at around 15 minutes.

KnightExemplar

Postby KnightExemplar » Fri Sep 06, 2013 1:22 pm UTC

I just blasted my way through "Ano Hi Mita Hana no Namae o Bokutachi wa Mada Shiranai" (Anohana: The Flower we Saw that Day). I'm usually not the guy for school dramas... but daaaaammmmn. That was fucking dramatic. I know it is a few years old at this point, but there were several good Otakon AMVs to it, so I wanted to go through it.

I also finished "A Certain Magical Index", which wasn't great, but mostly kept my interest. So "A certain Scientific Railgun" is next on my list of things to watch.

drego642

Postby drego642 » Sun Sep 08, 2013 2:00 pm UTC

Ahh... yeah, there we go. Here come the tears. I haven't felt that much since that documentary about that guy who raised a pair of wild cheetah cubs who lost their mother.

I finished the series last night, but that was basically my reaction. I'm still taking it in, but WOW. That was beautiful.

Now begins the torturous wait for the VN release...

Derek

Postby Derek » Sun Sep 08, 2013 5:58 pm UTC

KnightExemplar wrote:I also finished "A Certain Magical Index", which wasn't great, but mostly kept my interest. So "A certain Scientific Railgun" is next on my list of things to watch.

Railgun is much better than Index, imo.

PeteP
What the peck?

Postby PeteP » Sun Sep 08, 2013 6:09 pm UTC

I think railgun has too much Kuroko. Well she had some nice fight scenes, but I will find her annoying as long as she doesn't learn the concept of personal space and her interest in Mikoto is played purely for laughs.

Derek

Postby Derek » Sun Sep 08, 2013 7:48 pm UTC

PeteP wrote:I think railgun has too much Kuroko. Well she had some nice fight scenes, but I will find her annoying as long as she doesn't learn the concept of personal space and her interest in Mikoto is played purely for laughs.

This is very true, but Railgun is still much better than Index.

SciJo

Postby SciJo » Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:33 am UTC

I've always wondered why it was that it seems like so many people like Railgun so much more than Index. Anyone care to shed some light on that?

PeteP wrote:I think railgun has too much Kuroko. Well she had some nice fight scenes, but I will find her annoying as long as she doesn't learn the concept of personal space and her interest in Mikoto is played purely for laughs.

I've also felt the same way. Too much Kuroko and not enough Uiharu.

broken_escalator
They're called stairs

Postby broken_escalator » Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:45 pm UTC

I only saw an episode or two of each, but railgun seemed to be less 'serious'. Whereas the episode of Index I saw had the main character guy taking punishment while preaching about what it means to be a friend. Probably not a good episode to be introduced to.

Derek

Postby Derek » Tue Sep 10, 2013 4:24 pm UTC

I watched three episodes of Index, I think, and it was just all around boring.

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Tue Sep 10, 2013 5:41 pm UTC

I finished Index, but it was fairly forgettable. It certainly didn't make me want to watch Railgun.
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

ConMan
Shepherd's Pie?

Postby ConMan » Wed Sep 11, 2013 1:48 am UTC

After blitzing through this thread (wonder why I never looked at it before), I was going to do the standard "what I've watched" post but I think I'll actually join the conversation here. I watched all of Index and Railgun's first seasons, and I think there are a few reasons why I prefer Railgun to Index.

First, the main character - Touma is such a standard "hopeless, miserable male high school student" stuck in a quasi-harem situation who goes around complaining about the fact that all this stuff is happening to him. Railgun!Misaka (because her character feels quite different to me in the two series) is a bad-ass girl who is incredibly confident in her abilities, but justifiably so. She has situations where her powers don't work, but even then she deals with them and learns from the experience.

Second, the supporting characters - all of Touma's male school-friends are jerks to some degree (to the point where I can definitely understand his reaction after losing his memory and wondering why he was friends with them in the first place), Index!Misaka is a bully/tsundere who oh-my-gosh has feelings for him, Index and Komoe are annoying lolis who look and act like kids but are really grown-up mature people donchaknow!, and the Sisters are Rei Ayanami wannabes with an annoying speech style and, for the most part, none of the latter's character development - and those that do develop a personality all seem to fit into yet another clichéd role. Accelerator was kind of interesting and I liked his fights against Touma, but I'm not hugely pleased with where his character was developing either. On the other hand, Misaka's friends are generally fun people, and while I could live without Kuroko's stalkery crush on Misaka and some of the weirder elements of Saten and Uihara's relationship (and Kuroko's voice), I find them generally more likeable. Kuroko can definitely hold her own in the absence of Misaka, and even Saten and Uihara's lack of high-level abilities feeds into both the main plot of Railgun and a lot of great character interaction and development.

Third, the structure - Index is all done in story arcs, and so much of the cast in each arc either disappears or fades into the background in the next arc (most notably, the titular character is relegated to comic relief by the start of the second arc). Touma is just about the only common character in everything, and I've already pointed out why I don't like him as MC. Whereas in Railgun, it uses one of my favourite kinds of series set-up - the first few episodes are all self-contained, and let you get a feel for how the world works, and then about half-way through you start realising that they all fit together in some kind of series-long arc, until the last few episodes are basically the altogether culmination of that arc.

I would say that if you didn't enjoy Index, it's worth giving Railgun a try. And if you find you like it, I assume Railgun S is more of the same (and am going to try to watch that at some point, but I doubt I'll go back to Index 2 or the movie).
pollywog wrote:
Wikihow wrote:* Smile a lot! Give a gay girl a knowing "Hey, I'm a lesbian too!" smile.
I want to learn this smile, perfect it, and then go around smiling at lesbians and freaking them out.

KnightExemplar

Postby KnightExemplar » Thu Sep 12, 2013 3:06 am UTC

Well... the reason why I watched Index in the first place... was because I won the entire first season of Railgun as a prize :-) Learning that Index was first, I was going to watch it regardless of online opinion, cause I'm a bit anal like that. (I've watched most of Naruto for example)

ConMan
Shepherd's Pie?

Postby ConMan » Thu Sep 12, 2013 3:20 am UTC

KnightExemplar wrote:Well... the reason why I watched Index in the first place... was because I won the entire first season of Railgun as a prize :-) Learning that Index was first, I was going to watch it regardless of online opinion, cause I'm a bit anal like that. (I've watched most of Naruto for example)

I can totally get behind that. It's why I watched Index too. And the first season of Minami-ke, because the anime club nearby was showing the second one and I wanted to know what was going on, despite not being hugely enthralled by the show (and it turned out that was because the show is not as funny as it thinks it is, not because I needed to know the background of all the gags).
pollywog wrote:
Wikihow wrote:* Smile a lot! Give a gay girl a knowing "Hey, I'm a lesbian too!" smile.
I want to learn this smile, perfect it, and then go around smiling at lesbians and freaking them out.

drego642

Postby drego642 » Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:04 am UTC

Last weekend it was Angel Beats!... this weekend, I one-shotted all (only 11 episodes) of Ano Hana... I don't think there are enough tissues in the house to support what is seemingly my newfound weekly habit.

KnightExemplar

Postby KnightExemplar » Mon Sep 16, 2013 2:06 pm UTC

Glass cage of emotion?? (Also, Rika Furude is the Juggernaut)

Well, fortunately (or unfortunately?) I can't think of very many Animes that were as emotional as Angel Beats and AnoHana.

Zohar
COMMANDER PORN

Postby Zohar » Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:47 pm UTC

I want more Attack on Titan. And I want it now. And I certainly don't want the season to end and then having to wait who knows how long. I wasn't surprised by the plot twist in episode 23, kinda anticipated it, but it's still awesome.

Going to browse through the thread now and see what else I should watch. Unless you have specific recommendations - the only recent thing I've seen is AOT. Or SNK. Whatever.
Mighty Jalapeno: "See, Zohar agrees, and he's nice to people."
SecondTalon: "Still better looking than Jesus."

Not how I say my name

broken_escalator
They're called stairs

Postby broken_escalator » Mon Sep 16, 2013 4:07 pm UTC

Watch the movie Sword of the Stranger. It has great animation!

I haven't seen AOT yet, but one of my favorite anime is Welcome to the NHK. It's essentially a comedy/drama about depression.

Zohar
COMMANDER PORN

Postby Zohar » Mon Sep 16, 2013 4:54 pm UTC

OK, getting that, as well as Angel Beats! and Uchouten Kazoku, since I've seen both of these discussed favorably in the past couple of pages.
Mighty Jalapeno: "See, Zohar agrees, and he's nice to people."
SecondTalon: "Still better looking than Jesus."

Not how I say my name

Derek

Postby Derek » Mon Sep 16, 2013 7:41 pm UTC

KnightExemplar wrote:Glass cage of emotion?? (Also, Rika Furude is the Juggernaut)

Well, fortunately (or unfortunately?) I can't think of very many Animes that were as emotional as Angel Beats and AnoHana.

Well Clannad is basically the king of feels. 23 + 24 episodes should keep you busy for awhile.

ConMan
Shepherd's Pie?

Postby ConMan » Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:27 pm UTC

Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 is another great one for feels, particularly near the end (it's on a very short list of "Things I absolutely loved and refuse to ever watch again").
pollywog wrote:

ConMan
Shepherd's Pie?

Postby ConMan » Tue Sep 17, 2013 2:19 am UTC

On a more general note, figure I may as well mention some of the anime I've watched ...

Starting with some super old-school stuff, mainly from TV, there is the stable of stuff like Astro Boy (the 80s version), Sailor Moon, Pokemon and Robotech, but also Teknoman, the dubbed version of Tekkaman Blade, that apparently didn't get a lot of love in most markets but I had an almost complete VHS copy of, all recorded from TV back when some channels actually had kids' programming on weekday mornings (on a related note, any of the Australians here remember Cheez TV?)

Then, back in 1998, the multicultural-and-other-esoteric-programming channel showed Evangelion, and it's the first anime I can think of that I really *knew* of as anime - it was hyped up as being from Japan, and definitely not a kids' cartoon, and my mind was definitely blown for a little while. I still have a soft spot in my heart for NGE, and I love its music, but I can now acknowledge its flaws and accept that I probably wouldn't wind up watching it if it came out more recently (since my tastes have moved away from a lot of its key tropes), and don't know when I will get around to watching the Rebuild.

For a while, my anime fix was mostly satiated by the limited offerings at the local video store. Most of the time, that meant watching random volumes of random series depending on what was available - I saw the last few episodes of Project A-ko, one of the post-finale Ranma movies, the first couple of episodes of Bubblegum Crisis, and I can't remember what else.

After that, I joined my university's anime club and got exposed to a bunch of random stuff, some of which I saw in full then, some of which I finally finished watching in more recent years, and a lot that I still haven't seen all of. Some things that stood out from back then include Trigun and Azumanga Daioh (which I never finished), Figure 17 (which I finished watching a couple of years ago, and promptly added it to the aforementioned "I love it but will never watch it again" list), several Ghibli films (which I have slowly started collecting on DVD), Vision of Escaflowne, El-Hazard and Happy Lesson (all of which I watched in full back then) and Video Girl Ai (which I saw most of the OVA of, and have since collected and read the full manga).

Some time later, I moved to a new city for work, and finally got myself a decent internet connection - so of course one of the first things I did was started getting into series of my own choice. I didn't watch a lot, and most of the time I managed to get myself into series that nobody else watched - I got through Haruhi but didn't see it as groundbreaking as everyone else did, but otherwise my favourites included Library Wars, Keroro Gunsou (which I got about 100 episodes into) and my all-time favourite series, Sketchbook, a show so universally obscure that besides the soundtrack albums the only official merchandise I'm aware of is a pencil set. I only know two other people who watched Sketchbook (or ~Sketchbook: full Color'S~ to give it its full name), and one of them is my girlfriend and she's only seen it because I made her watch it.

As well as what I could get online, the main local distributor had been busy licensing a bunch of stuff I'd heard of, and I watched a few of their offerings (often borrowed from the local library or a Netflix-equivalent), and this is where I finally got around to seeing a lot of things that I knew everyone else had already seen nearly a decade previously, like the rest of Bubblegum Crisis, Excel Saga, about half of Steel Angel Kurumi (which I will finish one of these days), Figure 17, and started on Spice and Wolf (and have now gotten through the first season).

A few years later, I finally joined the local university's anime club and attended a bunch of their screenings, and through them met my current girlfriend, and between the two have watched many more things that other people have actually seen. Favourites from these include Bakemonogatari, Nichijou, A-Channel, Panty & Stocking, Darker than Black, Summer Wars, Wolf Children, Kokoro Connect and Chuunibyou Demo Koi Ga Shitai. And, as mentioned in a previous post, I loved To Aru Kagaku No Railgun but was less impressed by To Aru Majutsu No Index.

ETA: Oh, and how could I forget Mawaru Penguindrum, a series with a lot of similarities to Evangelion - awesome soundtrack, plot that asks more questions than it answers, many moments where you're not sure whether you're missing the true depth of the show or the creators were just throwing in random stuff to sound deep (and suspecting the latter), and cute penguins doing silly antics that all but disappear from the show when things really start getting serious.

tl;dr I used to watch a bunch of random stuff, these days I tend more towards slice-of-life-ish and unusual/occasionally-trope-averting shows that aren't as obscure. And my favourite series doesn't even have figurines.
pollywog wrote:

tastelikecoke

Postby tastelikecoke » Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:32 am UTC

Attack on Titan:
Spoiler:
aannniiiiieaaaaeeeaeaeeeaaaeeeaaeee!
I thought the bishoujo titan was the saintly short blonde girl.
Also, Rico is hot. Somebody said he is male, but nooo my dreams.
I'm finally convinced that Attack on Titan is so goddamn slow. But I still won't read the manga, not ever, not until I can read moon runes.

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:32 pm UTC

Not that it really matters either way but I'm pretty sure Rico is a gal.
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
"Do you think games are silly little things?"
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
"Do you admit there is no meaning to this world?"
- > No

Derek

Postby Derek » Tue Sep 17, 2013 4:56 pm UTC

ConMan wrote:ETA: Oh, and how could I forget Mawaru Penguindrum, a series with a lot of similarities to Evangelion - awesome soundtrack, plot that asks more questions than it answers, many moments where you're not sure whether you're missing the true depth of the show or the creators were just throwing in random stuff to sound deep (and suspecting the latter), and cute penguins doing silly antics that all but disappear from the show when things really start getting serious.

That series had the worst case of mood whiplash I have ever seen. I completely gave up following it towards the end.

Return to “Movies and TV Shows”