Anime Thread of Doom

Rot your brains, then rot our boards

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

User avatar
SlyReaper
inflatable
Posts: 8015
Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2007 11:09 pm UTC
Location: Bristol, Old Blighty

Re: Anime Thread of Doom

Postby SlyReaper » Tue Sep 17, 2013 6:19 pm UTC

tastelikecoke wrote:Attack on Titan:
Spoiler:
aannniiiiieaaaaeeeaeaeeeaaaeeeaaeee!
I thought the bishoujo titan was the saintly short blonde girl.
Also, Rico is hot. Somebody said he is male, but nooo my dreams.
I'm finally convinced that Attack on Titan is so goddamn slow. But I still won't read the manga, not ever, not until I can read moon runes.

Spoiler:
I totally saw the Annie being the female titan thing coming. My reasoning was fairly simple. It had to be a named character we'd already seen (because being a character we hadn't seen yet would have been extremely lame), and as far as I could remember, the only two blonde females in the show so far had been Annie and Christie. It was unlikely to be Christie because she showed up with horses after the female titan had run off. Also, the face of the female titan looks more similar to Annie's face than Christie's, and Annie has always been more of a badass. I figured there was a small chance the show might pull a WTF on us and have it turn out to be Christie anyway (or some other random character), but I was 99% sure it was Annie.
Image
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

User avatar
SciJo
Posts: 115
Joined: Fri Jan 16, 2009 9:46 pm UTC

Re: Anime Thread of Doom

Postby SciJo » Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:47 pm UTC

So I just watched a recently subbed trailer for Kill la Kill, the upcoming anime made by the creators of Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann. Perhaps you've heard of that before, it was pretty popular. Anyway, it's coming out next month and is surely the most anticipated anime series of the coming season, if not the year. It looks pretty Gurren Lagann if I say so myself.

The whole thing was.. actually rather disheartening. The trailer made me realize just how embittered I've become over Gurren Lagann, and that's the most depressing thing of all.

User avatar
Gelsamel
Lame and emo
Posts: 8237
Joined: Thu Oct 05, 2006 10:49 am UTC
Location: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

Re: Anime Thread of Doom

Postby Gelsamel » Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:14 am UTC

SciJo wrote:So I just watched a recently subbed trailer for Kill la Kill, the upcoming anime made by the creators of Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann. Perhaps you've heard of that before, it was pretty popular. Anyway, it's coming out next month and is surely the most anticipated anime series of the coming season, if not the year. It looks pretty Gurren Lagann if I say so myself.

The whole thing was.. actually rather disheartening. The trailer made me realize just how embittered I've become over Gurren Lagann, and that's the most depressing thing of all.


Kinda disappointed with the character design and animation shown in the trailer, tbh. I was expecting more from Trigger.
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
"Do you think games are silly little things?"
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
"Do you admit there is no meaning to this world?"
- > No

User avatar
broken_escalator
They're called stairs
Posts: 3312
Joined: Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:49 am UTC
Location: _| ̄|○

Re: Anime Thread of Doom

Postby broken_escalator » Wed Sep 18, 2013 4:50 pm UTC

Disheartening is a good word for that trailer.

Drumheller769
Posts: 731
Joined: Mon May 11, 2009 7:46 pm UTC
Location: ♞♞♞

Re: Anime Thread of Doom

Postby Drumheller769 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:16 am UTC

Wow. Sword of the Stranger was pretty damned good! Thanks for the recommendation! :D
The Great Hippo wrote:Arguing with the internet is a lot like arguing with a bullet. The internet's chief exports are cute kittens, porn, and Reasons Why You Are Completely Fucking Wrong.

User avatar
tastelikecoke
Posts: 1208
Joined: Mon Feb 01, 2010 7:58 am UTC
Location: Antipode of Brazil
Contact:

Re: Anime Thread of Doom

Postby tastelikecoke » Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:09 pm UTC

@SlyReaper
Attack on Titan:
Spoiler:
One setup I thought had Christie returning to normal body form after beating up Armin and running away, then she caught Jean's horse flailing crazily around his gigantic body so naturally she had Jean's horse on return. Her petite size also kind of fits with the Levi decoy scene in the big tree forest.

But my original speculation is that there's a bunch of freak people living outside Wall Rose with titan powers which they use to control fellow Titans and probably to sleep, and the female Titan just happens to be one of them. Oh well, I hope to see more titan transformation sequences in the future.

User avatar
Dobblesworth
Dobblesworth, here's the title you requested over three years ago. -Banana
Posts: 1429
Joined: Wed May 30, 2007 12:06 pm UTC
Contact:

Re: Anime Thread of Doom

Postby Dobblesworth » Thu Sep 19, 2013 6:47 pm UTC

AoT:
Spoiler:
I've considered myself 'done' with it for two weeks or so now. Had the 'female titan' identity spoiled by a manga-reader somewhere else and threw myself on a warped hunt to confirm, and spoiled whatever potential 'twists' that show could have for me. I mean, I'll watch to the end of this run they're on now, but nothing in the next bracket. If I wanted to watch NewBSG I'd go watch NewBSG I guess.

The Armin line that redirected the plot threw me clear to begin with.
"Oh, that Titan that's more powerful than the others? Yeah, it's a Human-controlled Titan, like Eren is!"
"How'd you figure that out?"
"Because it looks different, shows signs of intelligence, and isn't concerned with eating humans, it's only killing ones in the way of its objective."
Is this not a bit of a pompous starting point? Granted, you've filled a hole with an appropriate peg, but to assume your foe of giant humanoids can only be fuelled by primal desires, is a dangerous view to take.
"The only way we can reconcile the fact titans are a threat to humans is if they are being led by human-controlled titans! For we are humans, we are superior, they're beasts, incapable of perhaps an evolutionary path producing larger leader caste individuals capable of rational tactical thought and combat awareness!"

At least that's how it is to me.

KnightExemplar
Posts: 5494
Joined: Sun Dec 26, 2010 1:58 pm UTC

Re: Anime Thread of Doom

Postby KnightExemplar » Fri Sep 20, 2013 2:04 pm UTC

AoT / SnK spoiler
Spoiler:
I agree on that front. Armin's "logic" was not very logical. You pretty much have to accept it on face value. Nonetheless, one advantage of it is that the audience can simply accept it for what it is and move on. Armin's logic on Annie using Marco's equipment however... that may have been out of the blue, but definitely was better handled. The entire episode with Annie felt like a giant mind-game, and was done quite well.
First Strike +1/+1 and Indestructible.

User avatar
Gelsamel
Lame and emo
Posts: 8237
Joined: Thu Oct 05, 2006 10:49 am UTC
Location: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

Re: Anime Thread of Doom

Postby Gelsamel » Fri Sep 20, 2013 10:38 pm UTC

Spoiler:
You have to realise they've been studying titans for over 100 years and none have ever behaved with intelligence or with goals other than eating and puking people up. Now that they know that humans can possibly turn into titans and that when they do they retain their intelligence and can have goals other than eating humans... it's pretty logical to assume that all other examples of that are related to humans turning into titans. I don't see why that is such a stretch.


When you say "The only way we can reconcile the fact titans are a threat to humans is if they are being led by human-controlled titans! For we are humans, we are superior, they're beasts, incapable of perhaps an evolutionary path producing larger leader caste individuals capable of rational tactical thought and combat awareness!" -- No one has said that at all. No one has implied that the only reason titans are a threat to humans are because they're 'being led by human-controlled titans'. So I'm not sure where you're getting this from.
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
"Do you think games are silly little things?"
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
"Do you admit there is no meaning to this world?"
- > No

User avatar
drego642
Posts: 137
Joined: Sun Jul 20, 2008 7:04 am UTC
Location: Connecticut
Contact:

Re: Anime Thread of Doom

Postby drego642 » Sat Sep 21, 2013 10:42 pm UTC

Might as well just post here for every series I finish. Just watched the end of Kids on the Slope. It was short and sweet, but I've never seen better animation of musicians playing as I did in that series.

Next up: Elfen Lied.
Last edited by drego642 on Sat Sep 21, 2013 10:42 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Gelsamel
Lame and emo
Posts: 8237
Joined: Thu Oct 05, 2006 10:49 am UTC
Location: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

Re: Anime Thread of Doom

Postby Gelsamel » Sun Sep 22, 2013 2:07 am UTC

drego642 wrote:Next up: Elfen Lied.


Not something I recommend myself but some people like it, so maybe you will too?
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
"Do you think games are silly little things?"
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
"Do you admit there is no meaning to this world?"
- > No

KnightExemplar
Posts: 5494
Joined: Sun Dec 26, 2010 1:58 pm UTC

Re: Anime Thread of Doom

Postby KnightExemplar » Sun Sep 22, 2013 2:53 pm UTC

6 Episodes into Fate / Kaleid Liner Prisma Illya gives me this:

Spoiler:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pcrpXgflbhs

Turns out the "ultimate form" of a magical girl is to take on the spirit of a Class Card. In this case, Illya performs an "Archer Install" and kicks some ass.

Until this point, the most they could do with Class Cards is summon the weapons of the servants. The Archer card was considered "useless", because it just summoned a weird bow without any arrows. :lol: :lol: :lol:. Of course... when Illya uses it correctly... you get that clip above.


Needless to say, I'm a very happy man now. Totally unexpected turn of events there, but I think that was the moment I was waiting for this whole time. Definitely appeals to Fate fans, although I'd wish that they'd cut down on Illya fanservice (like... half the first episode was an Illya shower scene :roll: ). Nonetheless, the number of Fate references keep growing, which makes me pretty happy. This show isn't a Carnival Phantasm... not even close. But it definitely was made to appeal to Fate / Stay fans. I know there are a few of you out there, so it might be worth checking out. You just gotta get over the fact that Emiya Shirou is drawn weird as all hell... and obviously... they aren't sticking to canon.

Spoiler:
Nonetheless, the show offers some confirmation of cannon that has been floating around. IE: Rin and Luvia's professor is Lord El-Melloi II (aka: Waver Velvet). So the show tries to stick with canon when it can. Non-canon stuff would be Luvia doing anything in Fuyuki City + the new character Miyu (Illya's "rival" magical girl) seems to have been created only for the show.


Also, Ruby (The Wand) has to be the best character in the show so far, lol.

Back to the AoT discussion...
Gelsamel wrote:
Spoiler:
You have to realise they've been studying titans for over 100 years and none have ever behaved with intelligence or with goals other than eating and puking people up. Now that they know that humans can possibly turn into titans and that when they do they retain their intelligence and can have goals other than eating humans... it's pretty logical to assume that all other examples of that are related to humans turning into titans. I don't see why that is such a stretch.

When you say "The only way we can reconcile the fact titans are a threat to humans is if they are being led by human-controlled titans! For we are humans, we are superior, they're beasts, incapable of perhaps an evolutionary path producing larger leader caste individuals capable of rational tactical thought and combat awareness!" -- No one has said that at all. No one has implied that the only reason titans are a threat to humans are because they're 'being led by human-controlled titans'. So I'm not sure where you're getting this from.


Spoiler:
First, I agree with your 2nd paragraph. There is certainly no "we humans are superior to Titans" ANYWHERE in the show. I don't know where that came from... but you're right there.

But the logic from your first paragraph is actually a formal fallacy. A quickie search leads to Affirmative conclusion from a negative premise, and it is precisely the same fallacy that Armin uses to "prove" that Female Titan / Colossal Titan / Armor Titan are humans. "Normal Titans aren't Smart and Human Titans are Smart, therefore all Smart Titans are Humans". Using a logical fallacy as an explanation is a mistake... one that shouldn't be made by the "logician" of the group.

If it were instead treated as evidence, or a potential theory, then that would make the logic sound. But instead, it is given to the audience as a "logical proof", but those familiar with fallacies will recognize the mistake here. (ie: Whenever L (Death Note) used a fallacy as evidence, he openly admitted that it wasn't a real proof)

That said, "proving a negative" makes for a poor plotpoint. Which is why I say that despite Armin's fallacies, it overall plays to the benefit of the viewer. It would be tedious to actually prove Armin's assertion (which would be to disprove the existence of Smart non-human titans... among other things), so I think it is best if we all just accepted it and enjoyed the show overall. I do wish that they found a more logical means of explaining the truth... but I can accept the hand-wavy explanation here. It will overall lead to a better story... but I just wish it were better handled.
First Strike +1/+1 and Indestructible.

User avatar
SlyReaper
inflatable
Posts: 8015
Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2007 11:09 pm UTC
Location: Bristol, Old Blighty

Re: Anime Thread of Doom

Postby SlyReaper » Sun Sep 22, 2013 4:38 pm UTC

I've just discovered Space Brothers. This is absolutely awesome. How have I never heard of it until now?
Image
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

User avatar
Gelsamel
Lame and emo
Posts: 8237
Joined: Thu Oct 05, 2006 10:49 am UTC
Location: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

Re: Anime Thread of Doom

Postby Gelsamel » Sun Sep 22, 2013 11:00 pm UTC

KnightExemplar wrote:
Spoiler:
First, I agree with your 2nd paragraph. There is certainly no "we humans are superior to Titans" ANYWHERE in the show. I don't know where that came from... but you're right there.

But the logic from your first paragraph is actually a formal fallacy. A quickie search leads to Affirmative conclusion from a negative premise, and it is precisely the same fallacy that Armin uses to "prove" that Female Titan / Colossal Titan / Armor Titan are humans. "Normal Titans aren't Smart and Human Titans are Smart, therefore all Smart Titans are Humans". Using a logical fallacy as an explanation is a mistake... one that shouldn't be made by the "logician" of the group.

If it were instead treated as evidence, or a potential theory, then that would make the logic sound. But instead, it is given to the audience as a "logical proof", but those familiar with fallacies will recognize the mistake here. (ie: Whenever L (Death Note) used a fallacy as evidence, he openly admitted that it wasn't a real proof)

That said, "proving a negative" makes for a poor plotpoint. Which is why I say that despite Armin's fallacies, it overall plays to the benefit of the viewer. It would be tedious to actually prove Armin's assertion (which would be to disprove the existence of Smart non-human titans... among other things), so I think it is best if we all just accepted it and enjoyed the show overall. I do wish that they found a more logical means of explaining the truth... but I can accept the hand-wavy explanation here. It will overall lead to a better story... but I just wish it were better handled.


Spoiler:
Thats the thing though, Armin admits it isn't a real proof either, and he never claims it is a deductive logical conclusion... it is only concluded that it is extremely likely given the evidence. Before you object, remember Hempel's raven (my favourite 'paradox' of all time). Negative evidence IS evidence; it's only ever a fallacy if you use it as an axiom in deductive logic, in inductive logic it's fine.

A lot of people forget that logical fallacies are specific to inductive and deductive modes, for instance the fallacy of 'appeal to authority' in inductive logic is actually 'appeal to inappropriate authority' whereas in deductive logic it is simply any appeal to any authority at all.
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
"Do you think games are silly little things?"
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
"Do you admit there is no meaning to this world?"
- > No

User avatar
Grop
Posts: 1927
Joined: Mon Oct 06, 2008 10:36 am UTC
Location: France

Re: Anime Thread of Doom

Postby Grop » Sun Sep 22, 2013 11:45 pm UTC

I his ranting : why is there so much random French in anime ? It serves no purpose in Kamisama no Inai Nichiyoubi, and it is especially ridiculous in Macross 0 (where a woman from some Pacific island sings some magic thing ~in French, although it makes no sense that people from that place would speak French, or would make any religious stuff in this language).

Derek
Posts: 2176
Joined: Wed Aug 18, 2010 4:15 am UTC

Re: Anime Thread of Doom

Postby Derek » Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:05 am UTC

Grop wrote:I his ranting : why is there so much random French in anime ? It serves no purpose in Kamisama no Inai Nichiyoubi, and it is especially ridiculous in Macross 0 (where a woman from some Pacific island sings some magic thing ~in French, although it makes no sense that people from that place would speak French, or would make any religious stuff in this language).

French is the official language of French Polynesia.

In general, I think it's the same reason that French gets tossed around a lot in English works. It's considered to be a romantic language.

User avatar
ConMan
Shepherd's Pie?
Posts: 1658
Joined: Tue Jan 01, 2008 11:56 am UTC
Location: Beacon Alpha

Re: Anime Thread of Doom

Postby ConMan » Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:30 am UTC

Grop wrote:I his ranting : why is there so much random French in anime ? It serves no purpose in Kamisama no Inai Nichiyoubi, and it is especially ridiculous in Macross 0 (where a woman from some Pacific island sings some magic thing ~in French, although it makes no sense that people from that place would speak French, or would make any religious stuff in this language).

Why is there so much random English in anime? Or references to non-Japanese mythologies, particularly Christian and Norse? Rule of cool, mainly.
pollywog wrote:
Wikihow wrote:* Smile a lot! Give a gay girl a knowing "Hey, I'm a lesbian too!" smile.
I want to learn this smile, perfect it, and then go around smiling at lesbians and freaking them out.

User avatar
Gelsamel
Lame and emo
Posts: 8237
Joined: Thu Oct 05, 2006 10:49 am UTC
Location: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

Re: Anime Thread of Doom

Postby Gelsamel » Mon Sep 23, 2013 5:52 am UTC

Grop wrote:I his ranting : why is there so much random French in anime ? It serves no purpose in Kamisama no Inai Nichiyoubi, and it is especially ridiculous in Macross 0 (where a woman from some Pacific island sings some magic thing ~in French, although it makes no sense that people from that place would speak French, or would make any religious stuff in this language).


You should check out Sora no Woto.
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
"Do you think games are silly little things?"
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
"Do you admit there is no meaning to this world?"
- > No

User avatar
Grop
Posts: 1927
Joined: Mon Oct 06, 2008 10:36 am UTC
Location: France

Re: Anime Thread of Doom

Postby Grop » Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:58 am UTC

ConMan wrote:Why is there so much random English in anime? Or references to non-Japanese mythologies, particularly Christian and Norse? Rule of cool, mainly.


I wasn't aware of that, but I can only agree.

(For the lulz I will probably have a look at Sora no Woto ; but since it's a 2010 series I have probably decided I wasn't interested at that time).

User avatar
Gelsamel
Lame and emo
Posts: 8237
Joined: Thu Oct 05, 2006 10:49 am UTC
Location: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

Re: Anime Thread of Doom

Postby Gelsamel » Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:17 pm UTC

Grop wrote:
ConMan wrote:Why is there so much random English in anime? Or references to non-Japanese mythologies, particularly Christian and Norse? Rule of cool, mainly.


I wasn't aware of that, but I can only agree.

(For the lulz I will probably have a look at Sora no Woto ; but since it's a 2010 series I have probably decided I wasn't interested at that time).


No lulz, it's friggan awesome.
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
"Do you think games are silly little things?"
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
"Do you admit there is no meaning to this world?"
- > No

KnightExemplar
Posts: 5494
Joined: Sun Dec 26, 2010 1:58 pm UTC

Re: Anime Thread of Doom

Postby KnightExemplar » Mon Sep 23, 2013 2:14 pm UTC

English in my animes? Its so coooool!

Actually, what confused me was the switch to Spanish in Tokyo Godfathers. I'm not exactly fluent in Spanish, but I had some studies in it back in middle school. So I suddenly (partially) understood what everyone was saying halfway through the movie.
First Strike +1/+1 and Indestructible.

User avatar
Grop
Posts: 1927
Joined: Mon Oct 06, 2008 10:36 am UTC
Location: France

Re: Anime Thread of Doom

Postby Grop » Mon Sep 23, 2013 5:39 pm UTC

I somehow trust you Gelsamel so I have watched Sora no Woto ep 1 ; it seems to be a nice series.

French language there seems to work as a random European language that isn't English, and it doesn't seem too weird in their imaginary European country. The village even looks like it could be in the Alps if you only look at buildings and streets.

But then there is so much Japanese culture it doesn't feel real ^^.

(Also this song in French was hard to understand and was a distraction from the story).

Anyway I am watching episode 2!

(Lol the city names : 16, 3, 17, 18, 10,etc).

User avatar
SlyReaper
inflatable
Posts: 8015
Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2007 11:09 pm UTC
Location: Bristol, Old Blighty

Re: Anime Thread of Doom

Postby SlyReaper » Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:13 pm UTC

And yet from what I can gather, the town is actually based on a Spanish city called Cuenca. Knowing this made the French stuff seem a bit funny.
Image
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

User avatar
Gelsamel
Lame and emo
Posts: 8237
Joined: Thu Oct 05, 2006 10:49 am UTC
Location: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

Re: Anime Thread of Doom

Postby Gelsamel » Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:07 pm UTC

SlyReaper wrote:And yet from what I can gather, the town is actually based on a Spanish city called Cuenca. Knowing this made the French stuff seem a bit funny.


They also use german guns, an they border what seems to be Switzerland and they follow this Shinto-Christian religion and have these strange rituals from other cultures. But it's all done very tastefully and it makes you feel like they're actually on some kind of post-apocalyptic Earth whose culture is just a giant mix of what they could assimilate from the relics of the past. Wonder what happened to the world?


Edit:

From Sora no Woto wiki, kinda spoilers:

Spoiler:
The story follows cute Japanese and European teenage girls wearing Wehrmacht uniforms, exploring a Japanese school in a Spanish town full of French people who make Venetian glassware on Switzerland's French border, in a country that has a soldier princess playing Amazing Grace on a trumpet, following a Shinto-Christian religion with a miko-nun, treating tropical diseases only children get, accepting yen as currency while not being able to read kanji, celebrating Spanish traditions mixed with Chinese New Years legends, shooting at African owls with German rifles, being led by a traumatized commander who is afraid of lightning, tricking Italian mobsters to keep them from moving in on the girls' bootlegging operation (which finance their paycheck and supplies), all while at war with German-speaking, brown-skinned Americans with bindis on the forheads of their women, from a Roman Empire lead by the Pope that follows a monotheistic religion that believes in the Judgment Day, while piloting a finally fixed multi-legged, demon-slaying, weather-reporting, stealth-sniper and simulation training mode capable, AMAZING GRACE SINGING, Engrish-speaking, talking like a SPESS MEHREEN,wall-climbing, 200mm coil gun-firing supertank from the past (aka Tank-kun).
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
"Do you think games are silly little things?"
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
"Do you admit there is no meaning to this world?"
- > No

User avatar
SlyReaper
inflatable
Posts: 8015
Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2007 11:09 pm UTC
Location: Bristol, Old Blighty

Re: Anime Thread of Doom

Postby SlyReaper » Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:19 pm UTC

I think it's more a case of "it's set in Europe, so let's come up with a bunch of European things and stuff them into the show". There's no apocalypse I can think of which would transport a Spanish city intact to the borders of Switzerland. Maybe Switzerland becomes highly expansionist at some point, and goes back to the name Helvetia?
Image
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

User avatar
Grop
Posts: 1927
Joined: Mon Oct 06, 2008 10:36 am UTC
Location: France

Re: Anime Thread of Doom

Postby Grop » Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:28 pm UTC

Stop spoiling me you weirdasses ! More seriously I have read it all. This is a nice series.

Also I see there seems to be a new Higurashi series, but I haven't seen it yet.

User avatar
Gelsamel
Lame and emo
Posts: 8237
Joined: Thu Oct 05, 2006 10:49 am UTC
Location: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

Re: Anime Thread of Doom

Postby Gelsamel » Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:44 pm UTC

SlyReaper wrote:I think it's more a case of "it's set in Europe, so let's come up with a bunch of European things and stuff them into the show". There's no apocalypse I can think of which would transport a Spanish city intact to the borders of Switzerland. Maybe Switzerland becomes highly expansionist at some point, and goes back to the name Helvetia?


Well I don't think it is literally supposed to be that exact Spanish city from real life, just that they wanted a Spanish design to use and so they recreated something that exists in real life (pretty common thing to do). Plus the setting constantly hints (well, kinda outright shoves in your face) that this is a post apocalyptic Earth, the tank is supposed to be pre-Apocalypse tech, and the guardians and the lost languages, etc. etc.

Plus it isn't just Europe they've got in there, they have:

Spoiler:
(German speaking) Americans with Bindis


too. And of course Japanese, and not just as a convenience to the viewers.
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
"Do you think games are silly little things?"
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
"Do you admit there is no meaning to this world?"
- > No

Derek
Posts: 2176
Joined: Wed Aug 18, 2010 4:15 am UTC

Re: Anime Thread of Doom

Postby Derek » Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:53 am UTC

Grop wrote:Also I see there seems to be a new Higurashi series, but I haven't seen it yet.

You're probably thinking of Umineko no Naku Koro Ni. In which case, forget about it, it sucked. Alternatively, you might be thinking of the second season of Higurashi (Kai), in which case you should watch it because it explains everything.

User avatar
Gelsamel
Lame and emo
Posts: 8237
Joined: Thu Oct 05, 2006 10:49 am UTC
Location: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

Re: Anime Thread of Doom

Postby Gelsamel » Tue Sep 24, 2013 1:08 am UTC

Derek wrote:
Grop wrote:Also I see there seems to be a new Higurashi series, but I haven't seen it yet.

You're probably thinking of Umineko no Naku Koro Ni. In which case, forget about it, it sucked. Alternatively, you might be thinking of the second season of Higurashi (Kai), in which case you should watch it because it explains everything.


There are some new OVAs for Higurashi but they're terrible fanservice stuff, nothing interesting. Umineko no Naku Koro Ni is a terrible adaption but the VNs are masterpieces.
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
"Do you think games are silly little things?"
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
"Do you admit there is no meaning to this world?"
- > No

Derek
Posts: 2176
Joined: Wed Aug 18, 2010 4:15 am UTC

Re: Anime Thread of Doom

Postby Derek » Tue Sep 24, 2013 5:20 am UTC

Although I won't lie, the Umineko themes were pretty epic. That was about the only good part of the show.

User avatar
drego642
Posts: 137
Joined: Sun Jul 20, 2008 7:04 am UTC
Location: Connecticut
Contact:

Re: Anime Thread of Doom

Postby drego642 » Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:03 am UTC

So, when I talked about Angel Beats! and Ano Hana wrecking me... I had no idea just how lightly I'd been throwing around that expression... The bar has been raised; Elfen Lied has left me with the most despair of any anime I've watched (not that I'm claiming to have watched terribly many). I'm not without some mild criticisms of it, but overall, I loved the series, from the cute, down-at-home scenes to the gruesome flashbacks of a traumatic past, and right up to the bitter end.

Gelsamel wrote:
drego642 wrote:Next up: Elfen Lied.


Not something I recommend myself but some people like it, so maybe you will too?

Yeah, I can definitely see how it wouldn't necessarily be everybody's type of thing. I did enjoy it and it has become one of my favourites, but I'm a sucker for dark subject matter and tragedy with a crapton of pathos. Now, I just have to read the manga so I can have an ending.

Derek
Posts: 2176
Joined: Wed Aug 18, 2010 4:15 am UTC

Re: Anime Thread of Doom

Postby Derek » Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:02 am UTC

We'll turn you into an emotional train wreck yet.

Nana's Everyday Life may be relevant now (it's a pretty short webcomic, less than a hundred pages, loosely based on Elfen Lied, with some Gunslinger Girl crossover).
Last edited by Derek on Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:26 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Grop
Posts: 1927
Joined: Mon Oct 06, 2008 10:36 am UTC
Location: France

Re: Anime Thread of Doom

Postby Grop » Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:10 am UTC

(I wouldn't know what Amazing Grace is, so I just googled it

...

So I am watching the first episode of a thing named Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Kaku: Outbreak.

User avatar
Gelsamel
Lame and emo
Posts: 8237
Joined: Thu Oct 05, 2006 10:49 am UTC
Location: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

Re: Anime Thread of Doom

Postby Gelsamel » Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:29 pm UTC

drego642 wrote:
Gelsamel wrote:
drego642 wrote:Next up: Elfen Lied.


Not something I recommend myself but some people like it, so maybe you will too?

Yeah, I can definitely see how it wouldn't necessarily be everybody's type of thing. I did enjoy it and it has become one of my favourites, but I'm a sucker for dark subject matter and tragedy with a crapton of pathos. Now, I just have to read the manga so I can have an ending.


I like dark and tragic stuff, I just thought Elfen Lied was terribly written and extremely immature is all.
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
"Do you think games are silly little things?"
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
"Do you admit there is no meaning to this world?"
- > No

User avatar
drego642
Posts: 137
Joined: Sun Jul 20, 2008 7:04 am UTC
Location: Connecticut
Contact:

Re: Anime Thread of Doom

Postby drego642 » Wed Sep 25, 2013 1:21 am UTC

Oh, okay. To each his own, then!

Derek wrote:We'll turn you into an emotional train wreck yet.

Nana's Everyday Life may be relevant now (it's a pretty short webcomic, less than a hundred pages, loosely based on Elfen Lied, with some Gunslinger Girl crossover).

Oh yes, and I'll be posting here after each one with some thoughts. Bringing you all every moment of my emotional devastation. :D This weekend's project is going to be Wolf's Rain.

Ah yep. My friend showed me some of that (with the exact same description) once I had finished, though I haven't gotten around to reading more. I don't know any Gunslinger Girl, so some of what I read was lost on me, but the rest was pretty cute. Or completely depressing dark comedy.

Derek
Posts: 2176
Joined: Wed Aug 18, 2010 4:15 am UTC

Re: Anime Thread of Doom

Postby Derek » Wed Sep 25, 2013 1:55 am UTC

drego642 wrote:Oh yes, and I'll be posting here after each one with some thoughts. Bringing you all every moment of my emotional devastation. :D This weekend's project is going to be Wolf's Rain.

Ah yep. My friend showed me some of that (with the exact same description) once I had finished, though I haven't gotten around to reading more. I don't know any Gunslinger Girl, so some of what I read was lost on me, but the rest was pretty cute. Or completely depressing dark comedy.

You don't actually need to know anything about Gunslinger Girl. The characters are taken basically completely out of context.

...On that note, Gunslinger Girl is another excellent show that is well worth watching, but we're probably already overloading you with suggestions.

User avatar
drego642
Posts: 137
Joined: Sun Jul 20, 2008 7:04 am UTC
Location: Connecticut
Contact:

Re: Anime Thread of Doom

Postby drego642 » Wed Sep 25, 2013 3:19 am UTC

Derek wrote:You don't actually need to know anything about Gunslinger Girl. The characters are taken basically completely out of context.

...On that note, Gunslinger Girl is another excellent show that is well worth watching, but we're probably already overloading you with suggestions.

No worries; there is no such thing as too many anime suggestions. Not with sites like My Animooter List anyway.

KnightExemplar
Posts: 5494
Joined: Sun Dec 26, 2010 1:58 pm UTC

Re: Anime Thread of Doom

Postby KnightExemplar » Wed Sep 25, 2013 4:38 am UTC

Well, finished Fate/Illya, and unfortunately episode 6 was more or less the high-point for the show IMO. Granted, the last few episodes had Loli Yuri Maid scene between Miyu / Illya :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: Can't say I wasn't expecting the fanservice, since there was so much of it early on. But just a warning for anyone out there who might jump into it.
First Strike +1/+1 and Indestructible.

User avatar
tastelikecoke
Posts: 1208
Joined: Mon Feb 01, 2010 7:58 am UTC
Location: Antipode of Brazil
Contact:

Re: Anime Thread of Doom

Postby tastelikecoke » Thu Sep 26, 2013 5:46 pm UTC

Oh man, Hyouka. Why didn't I finish this earlier. They even precariously placed a chekhov's watergun right in the viewer's... view. The movie club mystery was also fun, also the first mystery story that I actually solved beforehand.

User avatar
Gelsamel
Lame and emo
Posts: 8237
Joined: Thu Oct 05, 2006 10:49 am UTC
Location: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

Re: Anime Thread of Doom

Postby Gelsamel » Sat Sep 28, 2013 1:31 am UTC

Yuyushiki OST is out. I love this song so much. The other songs a great, but this one is just so awesome it steals the limelight from the others.

Also looking forward to the MJP OST solely for the lounge track.
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
"Do you think games are silly little things?"
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
"Do you admit there is no meaning to this world?"
- > No


Return to “Movies and TV Shows”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Yahoo [Bot] and 5 guests