Anime Thread of Doom

Rot your brains, then rot our boards

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Re: Anime Thread of Doom

Postby Gelsamel » Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:42 am UTC

I have not seen that show, maybe I should check it out.
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
"Do you think games are silly little things?"
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
"Do you admit there is no meaning to this world?"
- > No

drego642

Postby drego642 » Fri Oct 25, 2013 6:14 am UTC

Derek wrote:
Zohar wrote:Just finished Angel Beats. Call me heartless, but I was pretty underwhelmed. I didn't feel the series had much of an emotional impact, and the entire premise is strange, unrelatable and not very interesting, to me. As far as "make me cry" shows go, Ano Hana was infinitely better. Oh well, onwards and upwards.

Heartless.

While I enjoyed both Ano Hana and Angel Beats, I thought Angel Beats was much better.

I'm always entertained seeing these two series mentioned side by side. Maybe it's just that I watched them a week apart, but I consider them almost like sister series. It's weird because they're almost nothing alike in terms of premise, plot and tone, yet I found something so similar and unique about them. Must be something about watching someone you've grown close to getting whisked away to the afterlife. Or something. Ah well.

I also enjoyed both. I didn't mind the strange premise of AB!, but parts seemed thrown together haphazardly because of the short length. Specifically, the romances kind of come out of nowhere because there's no room to build up any tension.

On to other news, I'm just past the halfway point of Magi: The Labyrinth of Magic. I'm... not entirely sure how to feel about it. I know that I enjoy watching it. I adore the main characters (especially Alibaba) for the most part, though they aren't without their frustrating moments (especially... Alibaba). As far as side characters go, some are amazing, a couple are frustratingly annoying, and at least one I find utterly unlikeable. The motivations of the three main characters don't really match up well, and they haven't actually shared much screentime as a group, so they don't feel like as much of a "team" as I'd expect after 14 episodes. Still, some fairly big things are happening at about the part I left off on, so hopefully this will change for the better. That being said, I think it's a really fun show. The visuals are good too (that's actually what drew me to the show to begin with).

tastelikecoke

Postby tastelikecoke » Fri Oct 25, 2013 4:08 pm UTC

Just watched Accel World. Underwhelming, but they had nice setting. I should have expected that since it's from the same author as SAO. Now I'm back to craving for myshtery. (I jumped out of Danganronpa anime halfway and played the game. 'Twas the best decision ever.) Anyone can recommend good ones? I do have Mawaru Penguindrum, Aria, and Gosick in stock.

PeteP
What the peck?

Postby PeteP » Sat Oct 26, 2013 12:39 am UTC

I did watch the third and no the fourth kill la kill episode. Epi 4… I suppose my humour is just incompatible with the humour of the show
Spoiler:
I felt a bit like I was watching a slap stick cartoon, partially because the hyperactive side kick is sometimes literally 2d. But the humour just didn't work at all for me. They even made see panties=> become utterly distracted and crash into will jokes. Jokes like that already bored me when I saw them the first time...
I don't really care about the characters they aren't very complex at least not yet. The story is pretty basic and not all that interesting - no it doesn't become more interesting just because you add some weirdness on top.

I suppose it's just not a good fit for me. I never watched more than the first few epis of Gurren Lagann, I planned to continue sometime because it's super popular but maybe I should take it as warning since it's from the same guys.

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Sat Oct 26, 2013 1:42 am UTC

Freezing Vibration is a lot less awesome than the first Freezing. Part of it is just the nature of the story this time around, but that's not just it... S1 had cheezy lens flares and shaky cameras and other crap like that but all the fights were totally awesome. S2 feels a lot more static and boring in comparison.
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
- > No

SciJo

Postby SciJo » Sat Oct 26, 2013 2:38 am UTC

tastelikecoke wrote:Just watched Accel World. Underwhelming, but they had nice setting. I should have expected that since it's from the same author as SAO. Now I'm back to craving for myshtery. (I jumped out of Danganronpa anime halfway and played the game. 'Twas the best decision ever.) Anyone can recommend good ones? I do have Mawaru Penguindrum, Aria, and Gosick in stock.

I was going to vehemently recommend Gosick, but you already have that.

So uh...

I turned to Google to remind me of some examples of mystery shows I've seen. I was kind of surprised to see just how many could be classified as mystery. I guess it depends on what you're looking for in regards to mystery. Are you looking for more detective style mystery where the characters solve a series of cases (like Gosick) or a more confusing series where the mystery is the overarching plot (like Mawaru Penquindrum)?

Not sure about whether Aria can be classified as a mystery though.

PeteP wrote:I did watch the third and no the fourth kill la kill episode. Epi 4… I suppose my humour is just incompatible with the humour of the show
Spoiler:
I felt a bit like I was watching a slap stick cartoon, partially because the hyperactive side kick is sometimes literally 2d. But the humour just didn't work at all for me. They even made see panties=> become utterly distracted and crash into will jokes. Jokes like that already bored me when I saw them the first time...
I don't really care about the characters they aren't very complex at least not yet. The story is pretty basic and not all that interesting - no it doesn't become more interesting just because you add some weirdness on top.

I suppose it's just not a good fit for me. I never watched more than the first few epis of Gurren Lagann, I planned to continue sometime because it's super popular but maybe I should take it as warning since it's from the same guys.

Hard to say really. Kill la Kill is considerably more polarizing than Gurren Lagann ever was.

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Sat Oct 26, 2013 2:54 am UTC

As for mystery, it really depends what you actually mean by 'mystery'. With the way I usually use the word I can only suggest Higurashi no Naku Koro Ni and Umineko no Naku Koro Ni (The visual novel, not the anime). I don't know of any other proper mystery anime.
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
- > No

tastelikecoke

Postby tastelikecoke » Sat Oct 26, 2013 3:47 am UTC

I'm not saying Aria or Mawaru Penguindrum is mystery, I just have it :lol: I'm talking about mystery in a strict sense like detective-fiction style murder mystery. I'd probably fare better by reading older English detective fiction, but it's nice to know if there are any more cool anime that fits the description. (I already knew Detective Conan, Detective School Q, in case anyone suggests)

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Sat Oct 26, 2013 3:55 am UTC

It's really hard to find any good fair play stuff. The only anime related thing I know of that is a true fair play mystery (other than really really old mystery novels) is Umineko and the anime sucks. If you're fine with games try Ace Attorney maybe?
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
- > No

SciJo

Postby SciJo » Sat Oct 26, 2013 9:03 am UTC

tastelikecoke wrote:I'm talking about mystery in a strict sense like detective-fiction style murder mystery.

Alright, that narrows it down then. Personally, when it comes to mystery I tend to think of this style, but I just had to check.

I don't know about fair play stuff, but there's a pretty good list on TV Tropes of shows that can be classified as detective fiction. I'm going to try and break down some of the shows on the list that I've seen.

Gosick: The show's about a Japanese transfer student who came to study at a European school. There he meets a strange, small girl and he soon finds himself getting involved in a series of mysteries the two have to solve. The two share a dynamic not unlike the one shared between Sherlock Holmes and Watson, and indeed the show comes off as a throwback to that old style of detective fiction. Seriously though, just watch it.

Psychic Detective Yakumo: The show is about a college student named Yakumo, who acts as a detective to solve people's issues... he's also psychic. Specifically, he can see and communicate with ghosts, which he uses to help him solve various cases. It was a pretty entertaining show.

The Daughter of Twenty Faces: The story is about a young girl who gets taken away from her unhappy home life by a famous gentleman thief. There she forms a new life for herself and learns the way of burglary. This one is a little less detective fiction than the previous two, at least in the earlier episodes, but it does eventually end up straying more into mystery territory. Either way, it was still a pretty good show.

Rin ~Daughters of Mnemosyne~: A 6-episode show about a private investigator and the odd jobs she takes. It's one of the more mature shows (read: nudity and violence) and is definitely not for everyone. I never finished it myself and it's been a while since I've seen it so I'm not sure what else to say about it. I feel like I'd have to watch it again before I can say whether or not I liked it.

I haven't seen Hyouka or Un-Go but I think I've heard some good things about them. I've seen one episode of Cuticle Detective Inaba and can only say it's by far the strangest show on the list that I know of.

Grop

Postby Grop » Sat Oct 26, 2013 1:16 pm UTC

Hyouka was pretty nice ; it is somehow special since the mysteries are about everyday things ~ as opposed to murders. But we have mentioned it quite a bit in this thread.

Xeio
Friends, Faidites, Countrymen

Postby Xeio » Sat Oct 26, 2013 4:15 pm UTC

Huh, an anime that will premier in the US before Japan. Go Funimation.

Space Dandy for reference, not sure if I'm particularly interested though I suppose ill at least check it out.

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:39 pm UTC

SciJo wrote:I don't know about fair play stuff, but there's a pretty good list on TV Tropes of shows that can be classified as detective fiction. I'm going to try and break down some of the shows on the list that I've seen.
I saw one of the Karakurizoushi Ayatsuri Sakon movies and it wasn't bad. That I managed to remember it at all says something.

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Sun Oct 27, 2013 12:04 am UTC

So Log Horizon is airing in a more family friendly time bracket, what isn't clear from the anime but apparently is clear in the LN is that:

Spoiler:
What was going on at Susukino (which in real life, is a red light district) was basically straight up slavery with heavily implied forced prostitution.

Also I heard that eps 1-5 will be covering the first part of the story which is mostly intro stuff and hard to adapt to the animated medium. I heard episodes 6+ are going to be a lot better.
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
- > No

SciJo

Postby SciJo » Sun Oct 27, 2013 12:34 am UTC

Four episodes into Yuushibu and that rotating statue they have on top of their store still disturbs me (that guy's face.. it's so unsettling).
Spoiler:
I'm beginning to think that Lam may be a demon herself, or at least has had personal experience with demons. I can't help but feel there's something else going on with her.

I guess all the people wondering where Kill la Kill would go after episode 3 got their answer this week. Turns out it was "on a tangent".
Spoiler:
The whole episode felt largely inconsequential, which I suppose fits right in after episode 3's developments. I still wasn't a huge fan of the art direction in this episode. The whole episode felt off-model, and while I don't doubt that that was the intention, it doesn't change the fact that I didn't really like the style (curiously enough, episode 4 of Gurren Lagann was also considerably off-model). Aside from the style and being largely insignificant in the overarching plot, it was alright I suppose. I really liked the ending though, the delivery was just too good.

Though why the heck can the bus plow through fields of landmines unscathed but get shredded by small arms fire? The hell's up with that?

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Sun Oct 27, 2013 12:40 am UTC

SciJo wrote:Four episodes into Yuushibu and that rotating statue they have on top of their store still disturbs me (that guy's face.. it's so unsettling).
Spoiler:
I'm beginning to think that Lam may be a demon herself, or at least has had personal experience with demons. I can't help but feel there's something else going on with her.

Spoiler:
Beginning to think? I begun to think it when the anime made a point of showing Lam noticing Fino. It's pretty much 100% confirmed given how Lam dealt with Fino though.

Though why can the bus just plow through fields of landmines unscathed but get shredded by small arms fire? The hell's up with that?[/spoiler]

Mines are probably generic mines to stop no-stars while the small arms are probably part of their uniform.

Edit: Fixed formatting
Last edited by Gelsamel on Sun Oct 27, 2013 2:00 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
- > No

SciJo

Postby SciJo » Sun Oct 27, 2013 12:49 am UTC

Does that imply that family members of one-stars and above get their own powered uniforms? That doesn't seem right.

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Sun Oct 27, 2013 2:01 am UTC

SciJo wrote:Does that imply that family members of one-stars and above get their own powered uniforms? That doesn't seem right.

I donno, it wasn't a serious suggestion anyway :P.

It's just a silly episode so I doubt they really considered it at all. Maybe it has some special defenses on the bottom for mines? Or maybe the bullets just eventually wore it down? Who knows.

Edit:

On Log Horizon, it isn't clear from the latest episode but the battle goes down a bit differently in the LN:

Spoiler:
1. Make sure Nyanta and Demikas are involved in 1v1.
2. Nyanta will win this fight so Demikas will call for his support and healers.
3. Have Naotsugu jump in to tie up the support.
4. Demikas' healers bring him to full.
5. Serara now uses her heal spell on everyone, including the enemies. This means everyone now has the healing aura on them.
6. Akatsuki is now free to silently assassinate the enemy healers one by one. Your own status is hard to check but you see the healing aura around you so obviously it's your own healers right?
7. Once stuff is tied up enough and enemies are complacent, Naotsugu uses Castle of Stone, making enemies even more complacent and overconfident. No one really paying attention to their low level healers sort of grouped together and way in the back.
8. It's time for Nyanta and Shiroe combo, instant kill on Demikas, he didn't survive in the novel.
9. Akatsuki is now finished with the support, stick her knife at the sorcerer and holds him hostage
10. Victory

Also in the LN bodies don't disappear when they die, you can forcibly loot dead bodies for a while after you kill them.
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
- > No

SciJo

Postby SciJo » Sun Oct 27, 2013 7:20 am UTC

You mean they didn't care about consistency in their silly, cool down episode well I never!

All jokes aside, Log Horizon is still pretty good, even if it hasn't passed that intro stage yet.

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:45 am UTC

SciJo wrote:You mean they didn't care about consistency in their silly, cool down episode well I never!

All jokes aside, Log Horizon is still pretty good, even if it hasn't passed that intro stage yet.

Yeah they're pretty much mook encounters for explaining classes and the world etc, so I don't mind too much.
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
- > No

tastelikecoke

Postby tastelikecoke » Wed Oct 30, 2013 4:17 pm UTC

shit Gosick sounds perfect. It has the bows, the laces, the 7 layer petticoats, and the 1920s :D Sad that there's isn't much anime on murder mystery genre. (though I admit my cravings for the genre sprang out from reading Umineko.)

Edit: Thanks SciJo for the suggestions.

ConMan
Shepherd's Pie?

Postby ConMan » Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:30 pm UTC

tastelikecoke wrote:shit Gosick sounds perfect. It has the bows, the laces, the 7 layer petticoats, and the 1920s :D Sad that there's isn't much anime on murder mystery genre. (though I admit my cravings for the genre sprang out from reading Umineko.)

Edit: Thanks SciJo for the suggestions.

When it's not being cyberpunk action (and often even when it is), the Ghost in the Shell franchise is a great mystery series.
pollywog wrote:
Wikihow wrote:* Smile a lot! Give a gay girl a knowing "Hey, I'm a lesbian too!" smile.
I want to learn this smile, perfect it, and then go around smiling at lesbians and freaking them out.

tastelikecoke

Postby tastelikecoke » Thu Oct 31, 2013 11:02 am UTC

I've watched GitS and I haven't sensed that feeling, but I agree that the part where you discover the details and all the references on Catcher in the Rye makes it a great series. Also, I've finished Hyouka recently. I didn't even know it was detective-ish before watching :) Then again, I'm the kind of person who watched Citizen Kane without knowing about rosebud.

Grop

Postby Grop » Thu Oct 31, 2013 3:14 pm UTC

tastelikecoke wrote:Then again, I'm the kind of person who watched Citizen Kane without knowing about rosebud.

Isn't this how it should be watched ?

broken_escalator
They're called stairs

Postby broken_escalator » Fri Nov 01, 2013 5:51 am UTC

I just started watching kill la kill and I can already tell I'm going to love this anime. Just the first scene with the dude laughing the whole way down cracked me up:

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Sat Nov 02, 2013 12:53 am UTC

Kill la Kill latest ep:

Spoiler:
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
- > No

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Sat Nov 02, 2013 9:28 am UTC

Grop wrote:
tastelikecoke wrote:Then again, I'm the kind of person who watched Citizen Kane without knowing about rosebud.

Isn't this how it should be watched ?

Should, yeah. But it's difficult to avoid that particular spoiler. It's like not knowing that at the end of Titanic,
Spoiler:
the ship sinks.
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

SciJo

Postby SciJo » Sat Nov 02, 2013 9:32 pm UTC

Gelsamel wrote:Kill la Kill latest ep:

Spoiler:

Huh. I never woulda thought of that.
Spoiler:
I honestly can't decide whether the idea of Mako being some overpowered boss would be the worse idea ever imagined, or the greatest moment ever envisioned.

Course, I doubt those "connections" have any real bearing.

As for the rest of the episode. Woah.
Spoiler:
I was actually pretty impressed by this episode. This has to be the best one to come out thus far. I certainly didn't expect them to bring in any outside antagonists so early on in the series, but the guy's inclusion ended up being quite momentous, unlike episode 3's so-called "turning point".

broken_escalator
They're called stairs

Postby broken_escalator » Sun Nov 03, 2013 7:43 am UTC

Now I'm curious how that character will end up.
Spoiler:
I just assumed she was immortal a la comedy relief. Though after all these times it wouldn't surprise me if she died to trigger some plot event.

PeteP
What the peck?

Postby PeteP » Sun Nov 03, 2013 9:11 am UTC

Samurai Flamenco epi 4
Spoiler:
Gas, taser, a mace - that is one dangerous magical girl staff. But yeah she is a bit brutal, also she has a crush on goto could be interesting. Anyway still like the show.

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Sun Nov 03, 2013 11:36 pm UTC

broken_escalator wrote:Now I'm curious how that character will end up.
Spoiler:
I just assumed she was immortal a la comedy relief. Though after all these times it wouldn't surprise me if she died to trigger some plot event.

Trigger said 'her episode' was 7, iirc.
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
- > No

Zohar
COMMANDER PORN

Postby Zohar » Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:08 pm UTC

I wasn't very impressed with Kill LaKill ep 5. Seemed kind of meh most of the time.
Mighty Jalapeno: "See, Zohar agrees, and he's nice to people."
SecondTalon: "Still better looking than Jesus."

Not how I say my name

Derek

Postby Derek » Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:44 pm UTC

Zohar wrote:I wasn't very impressed with Kill LaKill ep 5. Seemed kind of meh most of the time.

Are you sure we watched the same episode? Because episode 5 was amazing.

Zohar
COMMANDER PORN

Postby Zohar » Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:54 pm UTC

Sure, needle guy, nudist league, all that stuff.

Not how I say my name

broken_escalator
They're called stairs

Postby broken_escalator » Tue Nov 05, 2013 6:14 pm UTC

I enjoyed it but I could see how someone might not like it. I think I enjoyed it much more after reading that little thread you guys posted about the episode. It ended up introducing some story elements that will hopefully continue to be relevant.

Spoiler:
Also during that whole episode I kept wondering if the needle guy was somehow related to main character, since they have similar hair. Granted that doesn't always matter in anime, but they're the only ones I've seen with that hair coloration. It might explain what happened to main character's mom? Either way, needle guy was annoyingly obtuse about everything.

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Fri Nov 08, 2013 2:45 am UTC

Galilei Donna is awesome. Pretty conventional storytelling but it's done really well. Kazuki is my favourite character, she is awesome, also her outfit is amazing.
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
- > No

Zohar
COMMANDER PORN

Postby Zohar » Fri Nov 08, 2013 3:42 pm UTC

I'd like a recommendation for a light, mostly fun highschool kids anime. Something like Haruhi Suzumiya or something. Any suggestions?

Not how I say my name

PeteP
What the peck?

Postby PeteP » Fri Nov 08, 2013 3:47 pm UTC

So fun slice of life or are the supernatural elements of haruhi also desired? Do you know Azumanga Daioh? (And does school rumble count?)

Zohar
COMMANDER PORN

Postby Zohar » Fri Nov 08, 2013 3:54 pm UTC

Supernatural isn't important. I actually haven't seen Azumanga Daioh. I don't know School Rumble. Something like Ranma 1/2 would also work.

Not how I say my name

Derek

Postby Derek » Fri Nov 08, 2013 3:57 pm UTC

Ouran High School Host Club is also a great choice.

Return to “Movies and TV Shows”